Today’s funny

Wednesday, Dec 4, 2013

* Fox 32 has a pretty funny story about Speaker Michael Madigan’s “Republican” opponent Terrence Goggin, who is running “against” Madigan for the fourth time since 1998, even though local Republican Party officials have never met the man. He’s an obvious plant

Angela Reyes, a circulator for Goggin, said she would be happy to discuss the petitions she passed for him until she was questioned further.

Reyes father said that she had no comment and that the only thing he knew about her political affiliations was that she would go with the precinct captain to interpret for the Spanish people in that district, seemingly making her a Madigan supporter.

* But check this out

Another odd twist to the question of Goggin’s running stance is the Republican Party’s plans to challenge the petitions filed by him to try and knock him off the ballot.

According to [Chris Cleveland, Vice Chair of the Chicago Republican Party], “We’re tired of the Democrats mucking around in our internal process. We’re tired of Mike Madigan’s sleazy tricks. We have raised money all year for this. We are ready to take him on.”

Cleveland says the idea is to find enough bad signature’s on Goggin’s petitions that he’s disqualified; then, slate a real Republican to run in the general election.

OK, first of all, if the Chicago Republican Party has truly “raised money all year for this,” then why didn’t they try to put a candidate on the ballot in the first place? No guts, no glory.

And secondly, do they really think that MJM’s organization is careless enough to muck up Groggins’ petitions?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

* Watch the video. It’s even better

Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News

1. - A guy... - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 11:32 am:

Amateurs.

2. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 11:32 am:

If knocking Mr. Goggin off the ballot doesn’t work, they may try to find him …

“You can try but you won’t find him. You know what Goggin did for the last 5 of his 6 Election Cycles in the 22nd District? Family Vacation. Goggin’s gone, there is no Goggin.”

3. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 11:37 am:

As they say on the South Side Madigan can dance thru a harp.

4. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 11:40 am:

Boss Tweed ain’t got nuttin on dis guy.

5. - William j Kelly - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 11:41 am:

Googin is not the only “plant” running as a republican this year, there is another canidate named Bruce rauner that no republicans have ever seen before.

6. - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 11:43 am:

Dane Placko rules.

7. - Robert the Bruce - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 11:53 am:

Oswego Willy, are you Goggin?

8. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 11:59 am:

- Robert the Bruce -,

I think you made a few hearts skip a beat with that “Soap Opera” type …confrontation.

“- Robert the Bruce -, are you Goggin? I’m not Googin … that’s two.”

9. - train111 - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 12:09 pm:

In defence of Madigan–his spokesman was right in that the GOP did finance his Democratic primary opponent (Michelle Pisczcor) Roeser doesn’t just cut checks for Rauner you know.

Every election year is good for a few yucks in the 22nd.

10. - Siriusly - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 1:00 pm:

Good one William Kelly !

Terrance Goggin is to political campaigns as Washington Generals are to basketball.

11. - Robert the Bruce - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 1:26 pm:

Oswego Willy, I’ll be sure to check the backseat of my car on my way home - maybe Goggin will show up there.

12. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 1:34 pm:

- Robert the Bruce -,

I am sure he knows he is under subpoena, and Chris Cleveland was NOT set to be transfered out of the 22nd district

13. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 1:55 pm:

=== I’m not Googin ===

Yes, but are you Goggin?

ANSWER THE QUESTION, WILLY!

^ I joke, in case you couldn’t tell.

14. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 2:02 pm:

- Formerly Known As… -,

I am comfortable with my initial answer.

I am Willy, but only my Mom calls me Bill, therefore, I am not Terrence Goggin, or even “Googin”…I am willing to bet Mr. Goggin is glad he is not me too.

15. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

But Googin/Goggin is not the same guy as Grogran, right?

16. - votecounter - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 2:40 pm:

Train 3: The difference is she was a Democrat and didn’t hide. BTW where are the 2or 3 other hispanic candidates running against MJM as Democrats like last time?

17. - anon - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 2:57 pm:

It is against the Election Code to circulate petitions for candidates of more than one party and you are not supposed to sign a petition for a candidate of a different party and circulate for a candidate of a different party. The question is how far does the legal challenge go? Madigan, Mell and Lipinski have been doing this for years.

18. - train111 - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 3:38 pm:

Votecounter

Oh please!!

I feel (and you will probably disagree with me) that it is rank hypocrisy for the Chicago GOP to point this out, when 2 years ago it was some of the top GOP moneybags were big time financing the hyjinx in the same district.

I guess it is wrong if Madigan’s side does it, but OK if our side does.

19. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 3:39 pm:

@OswegoWilly - we ask the tough questions here in the comments section. Someone had to make sure you weren’t tap dancing around the issue, lol.

With complete respect - FKA

20. - LisleMike - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 3:48 pm:

My guess is that Goggin is not found because he is looking for a garbage container that the precinct captain supplies to the loyal, or he’s looking for someone to plow his portion of the alley when the snow comes, or someone to clean up the branches in his yard after a storm. It takes a lot of time to find the right people when you are not with the program…BTW I am not Goggin either!

21. - LisleMike - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 3:51 pm:

“Hey, Boss, it’s me, Angela.”
    “I told you not to use this number”
    “Well, I got a problem….Channel 32 is at my door and they got questions.”
    “Hey, remeber what I told you..just say not comment. Better yet, get your Dad to cover for you. Remember, we don’t want nobody that nobody sent!”

22. - Nick - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 3:53 pm:

Why did Chris Cleveland and the Chicago Republican Party fail to recruit a candidate in that district?

23. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 3:54 pm:

You almost had me - Formerly Known As… -. Ya stuttering Dope ya.

- AA -, was I shaking?

I bet you wonder about me sometimes, - FKA -. I may fold under questioning….

24. - Soccertease - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 4:43 pm:

Goggin could not be any worse for the State than MM.

25. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 4:47 pm:

I find it disapointing that the Speaker is so insecure in his own district that he resorts to slight of hand.

It is also pathetic that the GOP can’t just beat the schill in the primary without all the name calling and demonizing. The Speaker may be the big bad wolf but they have built there house out of straw.

26. - anon - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 4:48 pm:

Mister Goggin would be well advised to quietly submit a signed and notarized withdrawal of candidacy form with the Illinois State Board of Elections.

Several signature pages from his nominating petition have been posted online and the penmanship suggests that the petitions were “round tabled.”

The petition circulators who signed and attested to collecting these signature sheets before a notary public could be liable to perjury charges. In the event of a pattern of fraud, the entire petition could be invalidated.

Of course, criminal charges are not likely to be filed if the candidate quietly withdraws before the petitions are challenged before the electoral board and through the judicial review process.

The pages posted online look to be completely bogus and filled with forged signatures.

Forgery and perjury are still crimes.

27. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 4:57 pm:

Hey, - anon -,

I look forward to all this “dance”, but I can’t get over the idea that it probably would have been better to try and get a candidate ON the ballot, instead of wasting all this time and money pretending that it might be possible to knock off Goggin, against the 13th Ward Crew who may, or may not, got him on the ballot.

Actually, your “advice” seems a bit desperate and sad, like when kids lose a game and say, “yeah, well, you just wait till the teacher sees!”

The Windmills at the Chicago Board of Elections fight back.

All the best!

28. - Mongo - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 5:45 pm:

Isn’t this illegal? Perhaps there should be a federal investigation and Mikey can join Blago in the federal pen!

29. - I'm just saying - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 5:46 pm:

Anon is that a veiled threat, classy

30. - anon - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 5:53 pm:

Take a look at Goggin petitions online and tell me that this is all ethical and legal.

Madigan and his right hand Michael Kasper have written and revised the Election Code so often that no can consider this to be a simple and inadvertent error.

31. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 6:17 pm:

- anon -, you and Cpl. Dawson. It doesn’t matter what you believe, it only matters what you can prove…

Well, if you try to “shotgun” the petitions, with “one bad, all bad”, you better make sure your Binder Check works out.

If you have to go line by line, make sure Goggin is far below the necessary number, or the panel might ask. “Why are we here if there are enough valid?”

…or so I hear about these things.

Best of luck, and remember, veiled threats are only as good as you can deliver on those, so I am guessing, not being their 1st Rodeo, no one is losing sleep yet. Do all Republicans a favor, if you can’t get him, don’t go for it. It makes us all look more foolish than not running someone to begin with.

Windmills to the right…

32. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 6:26 pm:

@OW - What do you mean I’m funny?

Funny? Funny how? Funny like I’m a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh? I’m here to amuse you?

That made my day, sir. Time to fire up some Netflix.

33. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 6:30 pm:

(Tips cap to - FKA -)

34. - anon - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 8:17 pm:

@OW:

I am only observing. As I stated earlier, I am not a participant in this matter.

Cook County and Chicago computerized their voting registration records about a decade and a half ago. There have not been precinct binder checks in conducted in years.

In a pattern of fraud case, the presence of numerous fraudulent signatures and falsified affidavits can serve to invalidate entire sheets of signatures, so subtracting one signature at a time, line by line, is not necessarily the manner of processing the signature objections. For example if you turn in a sheet with twenty signatures, of which eighteen are fraudulent, you may not be able to count the two otherwise valid signatures towards the minimum requirement. The candidate could lose all twenty. If the same circulator who turned in bogus sheets collected more signatures on other sheets those also may be voided.

The appellate court laws on “pattern of fraud” cases date back thirty years.

For someone who spends so much time belittling the Republicans, has it ever occurred to you to change your party affiliation? Why associate with a political party that you clearly do not support?

35. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 4, 13 @ 8:30 pm:

- anon -

Thanks for the update on the binders, it makes my snark about the whole thing even more priceless!

As for your analysis, I always appreciate the lesson, but if you are not a participant, and I am not a participant, and you missed my snark on it, I hope whoever does try to take Goggin on has all the luck in the world, because nothing lookes more Dopey than complaining, then challenging, and failing, especially if the Dopes could have just ran someone in the first place.

As my belittling, if you see it that way, then you are not the target audience that can make things better, or sees that things need to improve. Either way, I don’t worry too much if you think I should change my affiliation.

If you have read my Posts and understood why I do, what I do, and how I do it, then it could make sense,… or not.

I am like the Daily Southtown tag line for confused Republicans;

“Some people just don’t get it”.

* Afternoon updates
* Stop the satellite TV tax!
* *** UPDATED 1x *** Twitter suspends parody account @peoriamayor
* Lesson learned: Don't 'Leave'
* Fitch affirms Illinois GO Bond rating
* BGA: Rauner firm holds state contracts; political round-up
* Question of the Day
* CAPTION CONTEST!
* Morning Shorts

* Xiaomi teases new device, could be long awaited tablet
        * Sprint backpedals on Nexus 5 Android 4.4.3 update
        * Facebook Adds Features to Paper, Says Slow Growth Is No Concern
        * HTC hires former Samsung ad exec?
        * Smartphone theft reports jump to 3.1 million in 2013