* The 2013 Steve Brown Golden Horseshoe Award for Best Government Spokesperson goes to Patti Thompson…
I’d like to nominate Patti Thompson, the PIO for the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. She has one of the most chaotic jobs a spokesperson can have dealing with the amazing flood of inquiries that come with disasters in the national media eye and the November tornados were no exception. Calls were coming on from around the globe (literally) and she was at it 20 hours a day for a week to make sure people were getting answers. On top of all that she has to maintain a good working knowledge of everything from school safety programs to the complexity of the nuclear safety programs. She keeps up a great socail media campaign and keeps the monthly preparedness themes relevant and useful. Great PIO!
* Runner-up is Rikeesha Phelon…
The Senate Dems have been out on a limb a number of times this year and she’s done a great job of articulating their position. She is tough and smart.
Congrats to both.
* Instead of a question today, let’s do a couple more categories…
* Best Illinois State Representative - Republican
* Best Illinois State Representative - Democrat
Rep. Jim Durkin was our GOP winner last year and now he’s the House Republican Leader. Rep. Elaine Nekrtiz was our Democratic winner last year and this year her dogged efforts helped make pension reform a reality. Pretty prescient votes on your part.
* Remember, this is about intensity far more than the number of votes, so make extra sure to explain your nominations in both categories. Thanks.