Minow also backed George Ryan over Poshard

Friday, Mar 21, 2014

* The day before Bruce Rauner announced his list of Democratic and independent supporters, the Chicago Tribune editorial board graciously assisted the Rauner campaign by running an op-ed by Newton Minow about why he’s backing Bruce Rauner

President John F. Kennedy once said that “sometimes party loyalty asks too much.”

I believe Kennedy was right as we consider the election for Illinois governor this year. As a longtime member of the Democratic Party, I’m taking a leave of absence from the Democratic Party’s campaign for governor in November and will vote for Republican Bruce Rauner for governor. Here is why.

First, my Democratic credentials. I served as assistant counsel to Gov. Adlai E. Stevenson in Springfield in 1952. I’ve been active in the campaigns of Sen. Paul Simon, Congressman Abner Mikva and Sen. Adlai E. Stevenson III. I’ve been a member of Illinois delegations to five Democratic National Conventions. […]

Is Rauner perfect? Of course not. I disagree with him on some issues, especially guns. But on the issue of financial survival of our state, he is right.

* Thanks to a Democratic reader, we have Newton Minow’s 1998 Tribune op-ed diatribe against Democratic gubernatorial nominee Glenn Poshard

After I read about the tragic shooting of Wentworth District Patrolman Michael Ceriale while he was on surveillance drug duty, I decided that I could not vote for the Democratic candidate for governor, Glenn Poshard. As a lifelong Democrat, it pains me to reach this conclusion, but party loyalty must be subordinate to conscience. Voters who agree with the Democratic Party’s gun-control policy should take a pass on the party’s candidate for governor of Illinois. Here’s why […]

Gun control is a transcendent issue, one that must reflect the conscience of voters because it is an issue about life and death. We already have too many guns in the hands of people in this country. Should we encourage more? Should we make it easy for people who are in trouble with the law to gain access to assault weapons? Should our police officers continue to be shot by known criminals with assault weapons? In his ad in a 1984 Illinois Senate campaign, Poshard pronounced that “Glenn Poshard is firm! He opposes any form of gun control.”

What reason does Poshard make in defense of his congressional record? I’ve never met Poshard, but mutual friends tell me the reason he voted against gun control is to reflect the views of his constituents. I understand and respect that thinking. But I learned years ago, when I was a young assistant in 1952 to then-Gov. Adlai E. Stevenson, that Illinois is a big, diverse state and that the governor’s job is to represent all of the state’s people, not just those in one congressional district. Today, Illinois is much bigger and much more diverse, but the job of the governor remains the same; to represent all of us. If Poshard wants to reflect that view only of his own area, he should continue to run for Congress from his district, not for governor. Of if he wants national office, he could run for governor of the National Rifle Association.

* Meanwhile, Manny Sanchez’s name on the list of Rauner supporters was interesting for two reasons. First, he is Rahm Emanuel’s guy. He makes a whole lot of money off of city bond work. And second, you will recall that Gov. Quinn replaced Sanchez on the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority because Sanchez refused to support Quinn’s pick to run the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority

Sanchez said he didn’t find out that he would be replaced on the board until he showed up for Thursday’s meeting.

“I’ve known Pat Quinn for four decades … the least he could have done was call me himself,” Sanchez said.

Replacing Sanzhez – who supported Emanuel’s choice of Ferguson for the top job at ISFA – with Young also allowed the governor to get Kraft appointed instead, despite Emanuel’s opposition.

Mayor Emanuel appeared with Quinn after the election and joined in the condemnation of Rauner. So, either this Rauner endorsement was done out of pique, or Rahm now has at least one of his own guys on that GOP campaign.

* Asked about this topic yesterday, Sanchez kinda sorta denied that he endorsed Rauner out of spite, but he didn’t do a very good of it

“Oh no, no, that’s a good question. No absolutely not,” Sanchez said when asked if his Rauner endorsement amounted to political payback. “That’s a very fair question. Absolutely not. It has nothing to do with that. It has a lot to do with an annoyance that has festered in my belly in the state of Illinois as a lifelong resident of Chicago.

“I was appointed initially by Jim Edgar, proudly in 1996, reappointed, not so proudly, but reappointed by [George] Ryan. Then [Rod] Blagojevich never got around to it, and then shortly after Pat succeeded following the impeachment, I was reappointed to Northern Illinois University’s board. At my request because I’m a lifetime White Sox fan, I was appointed to the Illinois Sports Facility Authority by Pat Quinn,” Sanchez said.

“This has nothing to do with Pat Quinn. This has a lot to do with going with my ethical constraints, which are do the right thing regardless of what the political consequences are. When I was asked to support a candidate that I did not believe who was nearly as qualified as the other candidate, and you know who I’m talking about,” he said, referring to Kraft, “I did the right thing and I called the governor and said I could not support his candidate. I would support the other. Well that resulted in my getting fired. So be it.

“This is not a payback,” Sanchez said.

* Related…

* Rauner touts Democratic, independent support: Rauner chose the Hotel Allegro to make the announcement—the longtime headquarters for Cook County Democrats as well as Quinn events and news conferences. Rauner’s wife, Diana, also made her first public statements about the campaign. A longtime Democrat, she said “leadership is more important than partisanship” in urging others to support her husband.

* Rauner boasting support from Democrats, Independents

* Big Dems back Rauner; Quinn responds with a bigger name: Hillary Clinton

* Quinn reacts to Rauner picking up Democrat and Independent endorsements

1. - Upon Further Review - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:07 am:

Judging from the photographs taken at the Billy Goat Tavern, Rahm Emanuel was less than thrilled to be at the Democrat “Unity” breakfast. He may have said what was expected, but his looks and body language said something else.

This all beginning to look like Kelsey Grammer on Season 1 of the cable series “Boss.”

2. - Stones - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:09 am:

Newton Minnow likes to tout his credentials but I’d love to hear him defend his endorsement of Ryan over Poshard today.

3. - Jim - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:12 am:

Only one “N” in Newton Minow’s last name.

4. - OneMan - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:12 am:

As for Quinn’s role in contributing to the state’s decline, Minow said, “I just look at the way the record is. I think Gov. Quinn is a decent honorable person, but I think the record, the performance, demands that we make a change.”

Kind of sums up the feelings of quite I few people I suspect, even if they don’t think Rauner is the change needed.

5. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:15 am:

To paraphrase a line from Suits the other day:

“I am asking you as a friend, which means I won’t hold it against you if you say No.”

Political leaders say No alot. They expect people to understand that just because I said No doesnt mean we are not friends.

What Manny seems to be articulating is Quinn does not see that friendship as a two way street.

6. - Carl Nyberg - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:15 am:

All these people saying Rauner has a plan to deal with State of Illinois finances…

Where is this plan?

Can it be read?

Can independent accountants verify the numbers add up?

Can we evaluate who are the winners and losers under the Rauner plan?

Or is this just a new version of “in rich people we trust”?

7. - Old Shepherd - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:15 am:

While it is a fool’s errand to ask “what if”, I’m going to do it anyway.

What if a narrow margin of people switched their votes, and Glenn Poshard had been elected? No George Ryan. No Rod Blagojevich. This state would undoubtedly look much different today. Hindsight proves that Glenn made some decisions in that campaign that cost him the mansion. However, people like Minnow undercutting him was equally at fault.

8. - Walker - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:19 am:

Whatever.

Some long-time Dems will vote against Quinn.
    Some long-time Repubs will vote against Rauner.

No need to question them all.

9. - Todd - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:24 am:

10. - Upon Further Review - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:24 am:

I am not sure that I would characterize Minnow’s op-ed letter as a diatribe.

In hindsight, many of us regret that George H. Ryan was elected in 1998 when many Democrats broke ranks and split their ballots. Minnow was not alone in abandoning Poshard. Many prominent gay activists, including Rick Garcia, were opposed to Poshard because he supported traditional marriage.

I definitely had buyer’s remorse after Ryan took the helm.

11. - MrJM - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:35 am:

Dillard gets slammed by Rauner for the “union” support, a generally democratic constituancy, but 48 hours later is totuting democratic support for the election.

It’s almost like Rauner was willing to say anything to the Republicans in order to be nominated for governor.

– MrJM

12. - Amalia - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:38 am:

There were a bunch of Dems/liberals who supported Ryan over Poshard. wish I still had the entire list from one presser I recall so all of them could get an I told you so wag.

on Minow, his cachet does not travel that far. I’ve talk to a few very smart people who have no idea who he is and when explanation was given, big shrugs.

13. - paddyrollingstone - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:38 am:

Glen Poshard was treated reprehensibly by Rick Garcia, Newton Minow and others. It made me sick to my stomach back then and it still bothers me now. Poshard was, in my opinion, the best candidate to run for governor in my lifetime.

14. - Dieter Punley Finn - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:40 am:

Newt’s embrace:It’s the kiss of death. Just look at his endorsements: Adlai Stevenson (II and III), Paul Simon, Ab Mikva, George Ryan, and now Bruce Rauner.

15. - paddyrollingstone - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:42 am:

“I was appointed initially by Jim Edgar, proudly in 1996, reappointed, not so proudly, but reappointed by [George] Ryan. Then [Rod] Blagojevich never got around to it”

It seems that Manny gave to Jim Edgar, George Ryan, Rod Blagojevich and Bruce Rauner. Interesting.

16. - Arizona Bob - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:44 am:

BTW, Glenn Poshard was the last Dem gubernatorial candidate I voted for in a general election. I voted or Vallas in the primaries, but there was no way I’d vote for Blago or Quinn.

I met Ryan, and you could tell in an instant what that guy was all about coming from that corrupt Kankakee GOP cabal. I didn’t always agree with Poshard, but I trusted and respected him.

17. - OneMan - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:44 am:

Yep Dieter and his early support for Obama cause real problems for him too…..

But to Old Shepherd’s question…

Ask the same thing, heard Glenn speak as part of his work for the Baptist home several years ago when things started going bad for George. Never regretted a vote more in my life.

18. - A guy... - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:44 am:

It just is what it is. What Newton Minow is saying is what you hear in precincts throughout the state. Pat’s a good, decent man, but his record indicates he isn’t equipped for this challenge.
    Sorry for my absence the last couple of days. I was pushing +’s out to vote. Back in the saddle now.

19. - Cassandra - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:47 am:

Mr. Minow looks like a nice elderly gentleman on TV but…why do we care who he supports. We being the average voter out here.

20. - Carl Nyberg - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:50 am:

Poshard had his spokesperson ranting about women’s groups, feminists and women in the Chicago Sun-Times.

Someone that tone deaf shouldn’t be Governor of Illinois.

21. - wordslinger - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 10:53 am:

Geez, Minow has been dining out on his thin Camelot link for more than 50 years.

He wasn’t a JFK insider, he was an Adlai flack who got throne a bone after the election and has been gnawing on it ever since.

His fame in the public consciousness comes from his “vast wasteland” speech as FCC commissioner.

The full speech itself is rather mild and pedestrian, but the “vast wasteland” hook has been employed ever since by any snob who doesn’t like a TV show.

By the way, when Newt gave his speech in 1961, some of the most popular shows on TV were “The Andy Griffith Show,” “The Ed Sullivan Show,” “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” “My Three Sons,” “Walt Disney’s World,” “Leave it to Beaver,” and “The Avengers.”

Barney Fife? Ed Sullivan? Diana Rigg — age 23 — in leather? On the telly for free? Vast wasteland my foot.

22. - wordslinger - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:00 am:

–It would be hypocritical for Dillard to show up at the GOP unity breakfast. He allowed himself to be bought and paid for by the public union interests against those of his constituents, and he betrayed every Republican in the state. Him attending would’ve been like inviting Benedict Arnold to George Washington’s inauguration.–

So let me see if I have this straight: Rauner is George Washington, Dillard is Benedict Arnold, and you’re out of your mind.

Is that about right?

23. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:04 am:

===Interesting. Dillard gets slammed by Rauner for the “union” support, a generally democratic constituancy, but 48 hours later is totuting democratic support for the elelction.

I wonder how that would have been received if it had been out 2 weeks before the primary?===

- Todd -,

Brilliant. You Posted my thoughts perfectly.

Well done.

24. - Old Shepherd - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:05 am:

I’m sorry, Carl Nyberg. You are right. George Ryan was clearly the better choice.

25. - Secret Square - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:09 am:

“Only one “N” in Newton Minow’s last name.”

Somewhat related trivia note: The producer of “Gilligan’s Island”, Sherwood Schwartz, allegedly named the castaways’ ill-fated boat the “Minnow” as a poke at Newton Minow and his famous characterization of television as a “vast wasteland”.

26. - Anonymous - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:26 am:

Newt Minow just remembered he was a multi-millionaire retired partner of a very wealthy law firm. Who’s surprised at, or cares about, his endorsement of Rauner?

27. - circularfiringsquad - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:32 am:

oh most Sanchez is really a plant who will flip when it is revealed just how inclusive Mitt Rauner biz world is

28. - Carl Nyberg - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:34 am:

Don’t blame me, I voted for Larry Redmond.

29. - Carl Nyberg - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:36 am:

Here’s another Democrat I never voted for: Rod Blagojevich.

30. - Carl Nyberg - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:36 am:

Here’s another Democrat I never voted for: Rod Blagojevich.

31. - Rick - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 11:56 am:

I don’t think Minow supporting Rauner is such a big deal. The annoying part is the Trib and him making a big deal about breaking party ranks — twice. One time is kinda newsworthy, but when you make a habit out of it you become and Independent, not a Democrat.

32. - VanillaMan - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 12:14 pm:

Rauner’s list of supporters is impressive as it includes a diverse group of admirable people from both political parties.

Partisans on both sides don’t like that, but they should be ignored on stuff like this anyway.

I didn’t know Minnow was still alive. Wow.

33. - Upon Further Review - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

@Carl Nyberg:

Maybe Bruce Rauner will dust off Bill Brady’s unused secret plan from 2010 since it was never used. Of course, none of us know what that plan entailed either.

34. - wordslinger - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 2:03 pm:

–Judging from the photographs taken at the Billy Goat Tavern, Rahm Emanuel was less than thrilled to be at the Democrat “Unity” breakfast.–

C’mon, man. You don’t think Emanuel is for Rauner?

Rauner made him a millionaire by hiring him to grease that hinky SBC deal with Bill Daley.

35. - Rod - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 4:17 pm:

You know Wordslinger Emanuel whatever his relationship to Rauner, is still a hard core Democrat. We only need to see his role as Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chairman (DCCC)in the 2006 elections to see that he is a hard core conservative Democrat that is all about pushing Republicans out of power whenever possible.

The Mayor’s conservative perspectives and support for charter schools lead to a convergence with Rauner. But Rauner is a big boy and he knows Emanuel isn’t a Meeks or Newton Minow, he is a hard core Democrat of the conservative stripe.

Mayor Emanuel also knows that Rauner would likely if Governor impose many cuts that would make his own life more difficult in running Chicago. So no in a practical sense no, I don’t think Emanuel is for Rauner.

36. - wordslinger - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 4:40 pm:

Rod, Emanuel’s a hustler like Rauner.

They want the power that comes from control of public funds. Whatever bricks they have to lay to get there, no problema.

The actual use of those public funds is irrelevant to the control.

* Quinn airs radio ad of Rauner joking about being "scared" of four African-Americans
* Karen Lewis endorses Chuy Garcia for mayor
* Friday night TV ad rating
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Proft responds to HRO
* Quinn, Rauner head downstate
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - HRO responds to Proft
* Emptying out my in-box
* Vast Majority of Illinois Voters Support Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency
* Inducement or just a party?
* UPDATE: $580 MILLION EXELON RATE HIKE?? Do They Really Need a Bailout After Making Nearly $1 BILLION In The Last 90 Days?
* Very late Rauner oppo
* *** UPDATED x2 *** And speaking of abortion...
* GOP defends Rauner on "employer-provided birth control"
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Friday morning fundraising report
* It's not anything new, but that doesn't make it Kosher
* Polling averages, models, projections, etc.
* Today's number: $3.5 million
* Rauner makes "Top 10" robocall list
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Cable TV buy report and a spending update

* Roku adds Google Play Movies & TV to its feature list
        * Minuum iOS update picks up new languages, advanced settings (Giveaway)
        * A final word from Taylor Martin
        * Battleheart Legacy signals Mika Mobile’s return to Android
        * AT&T and Verizon Boost Monthly Wireless Data in Ongoing Competition
        * Smash Champs lets you become a legendary trainer
        * Poynt pad tries to be all-in-one payment system for business

* Samsung Galaxy A5 and A3 phones try to capture young people's attention
        * Updated Office For Mac Arriving In 2015, Outlook Updated In The Meantime
        * iFixit Debunks iPhone 6 Plus Reinforcement Claims
        * Jony Ive: Apple Watch Tougher Project Than The iPhone
        * Google’s “Copresence” Feature Could Allow Seamless Cross-Platform Communication
        * Trent Reznor Working On Secret Music Project At Apple
        * Apple Could Face Trademark Battle In India Over “iFon”

* Fall Stars Game filled to brim with talent