Question of the day

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014

* Greg Hinz

Barring a last-minute development overnight, RTA sources say that retiring state Sen. Kirk Dillard, R-Wheaton, will have the votes he needs to be elected chair at the RTA board meeting tomorrow.

The action is likely to occur despite repeated chatter that Illinois’ GOP gubernatorial nominee Bruce Rauner — or at least members of Mr. Rauner’s staff — prefer someone else; Mr. Rauner and Mr. Dillard clashed repeatedly during last winter’s GOP gubernatorial primary campaign. But the only other major competitor for the RTA post, former DuPage County Chairman Bob Schillerstrom, has folded his campaign, and sources who know how to count tell me that Mr. Dillard has backing from a combination of Chicago and collar-county members of the RTA board.

After reading the entire story, I think Dillard would probably do a decent job, so good luck to him.

* But, for our question’s purposes, I wanted to highlight a particular Dillard quote from Greg’s piece

Mr. Dillard said the two GOP leaders have not yet held a post-primary peace meeting, but he expects to see Mr. Rauner at an event later in the week.

“I don’t need to eat up Bruce’s time,” Mr. Dillard said. “We text back and forth all the time.”

* The Question: What do you think they’re chatting about via text?

Keep it clean, people.

1. - A guy... - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

The weather. It’s hard to disagree on and you can text about it “all the time”

2. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

@BuddyBruce what r u wearing tomorrow?

3. - Bill White - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:50 pm:

Cubs vs Sox

Cubs vs Cards

Teacher Unions: Hot or Not?

4. - OneMan - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:51 pm:

If Dillard is going by the name Oswego Willy or not….

5. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

@kirkozoid damn broke a nail

6. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:53 pm:

Yard sign graphic ideas?

7. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

Jil Tracy, and how fast she should replace “Slip and Sue”

8. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

D: OMG! Portillos combo 2D4! Talk RTA, lunch?

R: 2BZ4UQT. BB4N

9. - lake county democrat - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:55 pm:

What subject is easiest to disguise as code for bargaining what Dillard gets for Rauner support. A reality show maybe? Contestant “Alyssa” means “Dedicated Bus Lane construction project in Winfield.”

10. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 12:59 pm:

@ BuddyBruce pants all too tight - gotta diet

11. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

@kirkozoid oh shut up your fine

12. - Joe Bidenopolous - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

They’re playing kiss, kill or marry. Obviously

13. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:02 pm:

@BuddyBruce well perhaps a bit of botox around the eyes

14. - Steve - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:06 pm:

How touching.

15. - CirularFiringSquad - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

That’s about as close as we would want to get to Mitt too. Good to see mass transit in NE IL has a reverse gear

16. - CirularFiringSquad - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:10 pm:

BTW how come no one is warbling about ChopperJim’s attack ads

17. - The Prince - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:14 pm:

Willy: yes, because D-Lard worked so well. Good God. How did no one see that?

18. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

Maybe Dillard is negotiating for - Cincinnatus - to join Team Rauner too?

19. - get over it - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:18 pm:

20. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:20 pm:

- get over it -,

Yeah, they’re over it, until that time when Rauner put the brick on Dillard these past weeks for a job…

Other than that brick and all…

21. - siriusly - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

Hey Kirk - asking for a friend. How 2 pretend 2B real consrvtive - but @same time convince my - I mean this friend’s wife’s and her crowd that he is really a social liberal - I mean moderate. Any tips? My friend really appreciates. L8R! - Bruce

22. - Anon. - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:31 pm:

Balancing the budget by issuing licenses to hunt prairie chickens.

23. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:31 pm:

BR text 1 Don’t listen to the rumors, KD. I have nothing to do with any of that.

BR text 2 Did you get a hold of fill-in-the-blank yet? We’ve got to kill this Dillard thing with the RTA.

BR text 3 Sorry Kirk. That last text was meant for someone else. As I was saying, I these rumors are outrageous.

24. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:33 pm:

BR: Kirk, I have no problem with you serving as RTA Chairman. We can be friends. And just ask Aaron Schock how well I treat my friends.

25. - Bemused - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:34 pm:

What to do about Sam McCann and that Schock selfie.

26. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 1:46 pm:

Rauner: Kirk, I think you know why we are texting, so I’ll… do us both the courtesy of not reviewing what happened in the Primary… My campaign is the kind of campaign that has a certain… zest of hyperbole. The last thing any of us need right now is a lot of loose talk about our behavior during this RTA thing.

Dillard: I swear, I didn’t tell anybody anything, Bruce.

R: Good. Good, good. You know, despite what happened, I..I’m still convinced you have many fine qualities and I… I think you can still become an asset to me some day if you understand and abide by the rules of being a Raunerite.

R: Kirk, Kirk, there’s a lot of, uh, well, baloney in the world today. I see it in the reporting of my campaign today. I’ve ignored problems tougher than you my entire business career. Didn’t wanna do it, but felt I owed it to myself to have deniability. The most important decision you can make right now is what do you stand for, Kirk? Raunerism … or Republicamism?

D: I know I make some bad mistakes in the Primary. I’m willing to make up for that. I wanna be a Raunerite.

R: Good. Good, very good. You know, I… I know how hard it is for Republicans today to support me and I wanna help. Well, just ask my running mate Evelyn. She and I are regular pals. Are you my pal, Mr. RTA Chairman job winner?

D: Yes, Bruce, I’m your pal.

R: How ’bout a Fresca?

27. - too obvious - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:12 pm:

Remember in that one debate when in regard to Rauner’s nursing home problem Dillard said Rauner displayed “a callous disregard for human life”?

Now of course Dillard has no problem being pals with someone like that. Quintessential Dillard.

28. - phocion - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

R: I just hate Jim Sweeney, don’t you Kirk?
    D: Yeah, hate him!
    R: And that Oswego Willy, geez.
    D: What a goof that guy is!
    R: Are we pals?
    R: BFF!!!

29. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:35 pm:

@kirkozoid just snagged the carhartt - got a suggestion?

30. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:37 pm:

@BuddyBruce Ohno! try Di’s nail polish

31. - 4 percent - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:38 pm:

Day 1:

Dillard: Hey Bruce… will you please talk to Ron Gidwitz and ask him if he will please forgive my loan.

Day 2: Hey Bruce, will you pretty please talk to Ron Gidwitz and ask him to forgive my loan.

Day 3: Hey Bruce. It’s Kirk and I haven’t heard back. Pretty please with whipped cream and cherries on top.

32. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:39 pm:

@BuddyBruce ugh too humid, can’t do a thing with my hair

33. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:44 pm:

@kirkozoid shhh - WD40 - just a touch. I use it when talking to peons - er, I mean citizens - as colonge 2

34. - Empty Suit - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:49 pm:

Rauner “Did not!”
    Dillard “Did too!”
    Rauner “Did not!”
    Dillard “Did too!”
    Rauner “Did not!’
    Dillard “Did too!”

35. - ChrisB - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:49 pm:

idk, my bff Bruce?

36. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

@BuddyBruce thinking about dying my hair…

37. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:55 pm:

@kirkozoid you are more vain than Blago! if people only knew

38. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

@BuddyBruce hey not fair! you were talking facelift last week

39. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:58 pm:

@kirkozoid not serious

40. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:59 pm:

@BuddyBruce you said you met with a doc

41. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 2:59 pm:

@kirkozoid did I?

42. - Serial - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 3:06 pm:

Oswego Willy gets my nod, best post ever!!

43. - siriusly - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 3:12 pm:

BR: Hey
    KD: wazzup
    BR: Obiewise has TP stuck on his shoe!!
    KD: LOL ROTFLMAF!!!

44. - northshore ciynic - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 3:16 pm:

how many Metra and CTA passes do you need?

45. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 4:12 pm:

–Author: get over it
    Comment:
    Dillard has attended a unity rally in DuPage with Rauner and they have run into each other and chatted on the trail. They actually –it’s Dillard’s nature– to be friendly. I have seen ‘em joking around at events. The media ought to stop trying to pick fights.–

Cincy’s back.

46. - walker - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 4:17 pm:

Kirk: Hey buddy. When are we going to have that meeting so I can teach you about the state budget?

Bruce: State budget?

Kirk: Exactly. See, there are three major parts to it and …

Bruce: Hold on. Not yet. Let’s not confuse anybody right now.

Kirk: OK. Let me know.

47. - Publius - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 4:34 pm:

D; I can do the job. You know, I used to be Edgar’s Chief of Staff
    R: Who is Edgar?

48. - Mr. Big Trouble - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 4:39 pm:

they are lamenting the awful seasons of the two last place ” professional” baseball teams in town

49. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 5:38 pm:

(Tips cap to - Serial -)

Maybe Dillard is giving Rauner tips to pronouncing “El-En-Oy”?

II-In-Oy?

No, El-En-Oy…it’s then “E”s

50. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 5:50 pm:

R: Now that we’re buddies, I guess I should tell you that I was the guy behind those D-Lard signs and stuff for your campaign. All in good fun, right?
    D: Uh-oh.

51. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 7:16 pm:

@kirkozoid u mad at me????

52. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 7:17 pm:

Dang, that was me, of course.

…or waaaas it???

53. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 8:28 pm:

ten talking points is not a plan call it a blueprint for illinois lol

54. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 9:00 pm:

luv my wanted poster you got my best side

55. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 9:23 pm:

@BrucieBuddy noway your my bestie now

56. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 14 @ 10:41 pm:

@kirkozoid Do you mean, No way, you’re my bestie now or No way you’re my bestie now?

57. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Jun 26, 14 @ 4:02 pm:

Hi, folks. I am not and will not be back. Try again, Word, I see things haven’t changed. As they say in southern France, Bon chance, y’all.

58. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Jun 26, 14 @ 4:08 pm:

===I am not and will not be back.===

lol

I bet that if Rauner loses, you’ll be back before 2018. I just have a feeling about Dillard.

* *** UPDATED x2 *** SUBSCRIBERS ONLY: 130-page oppo dump on Rep. Ken Dunkin's past
* Hey, he's just doin' what he said he'd do
* This Just In: Exelon Announces More $$$$ For Shareholders, Higher 2015 Profits And Still Seeks Bailout
* "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"
* *** UPDATED x2 - Stratton responds - IllinoisGO checking the facts *** "Mug shot" mailer hits Ken Dunkin
* Credit Unions – A Smarter Choice!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Money, Endorsements, Muñoz, Farnham
* *** UPDATED x1 *** State to close Kewanee youth center
* Today's political videos
* *** UPDATED x2 - Duckworth doubles down - But what about Kirk's Rahm endorsement? *** Because... Rahm!
* As expected, Rauner endorses McCann opponent
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Dunkin mailers, Alvarez poll results and xtabs, etc.
* Pot, meet kettle

* Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi hotspot available through Sprint
* Get faster data transfer and charging with MuConnect
* Visa’s Square disclosure raises questions
* Google waves goodbye to Picasa to focus on Google Photos
* Galaxy Note 6 spec rumors already incoming, suggest lofty 6GB of RAM
* MacRumors Giveaway: Win a Tech Travel Vest From AyeGear
* Tap, click, and tap to get more loot and powerful items in Clicker Pirates

* White Sox reportedly considering Desmond
* Lefty-heavy rotation not a concern
* Melky: White Sox must play like family to contend