*** UPDATED x1 - Dold response *** Schneider up with first TV ad

Tuesday, Sep 2, 2014

* As we’ve already discussed, outside groups have bought over a million dollars worth of TV ads attacking freshman Democratic Congressman Brad Schneider. Today, Schneider launches his own TV buy. From a press release…

U.S. Congressman Brad Schneider (IL-10) launched his first campaign television ad this election, highlighting his Democratic values and commitment to stand up to the Tea Party.

The ad features Schneider explaining what it means to be Democrat, including his support for marriage equality and protecting a woman’s right to choose. In contrast, former Republican Congressman Bob Dold makes no reference to his party affiliation in his most recent ad.

* The ad

* The script…

Here’s the thing.

To me, being a Democrat means we can’t let “We the People” turn into “We the Few”.

It means tea party obstruction has to stop.

Being a Democrat means we should lower the tax burden on the middle class.

It means we have to protect a woman’s right to choose and every person’s right to choose whom to marry.

I’m Brad Schneider and I approve this message because we’re all in this together, accountable to each other.

We can still accomplish great things.

Discuss.

*** UPDATE *** Dold campaign response…

At a time when voters have had it with do-nothing politicians and the bitter partisanship that has paralyzed Washington, Congressman Brad Schneider is demonstrating just how out of touch he is by doubling down on his record of serving his party leaders rather than the people of the 10th District.

No need to take our word for it, Congressman Schneider says it all himself in his new campaign ad while taking himself out for a coffee break.

After voting with Nancy Pelosi 90 percent of the time, Congressman Schneider’s own ad reminds everyone how enthusiastically he embraces blind partisanship and rejects the independent-minded leadership the 10th District enjoyed under Mark Kirk and Bob Dold. As if anyone needed a reminder.

But what Schneider deliberately leaves out in his first ad is 1) any record of accomplishment on anything at all from his time in office 2) the fact that he is the 10th District’s current sitting member of congress.

Why would the Congressman leave important details like these out?

“After amassing a record as a hyper-partisan politician who’s earned a toxic 28 percent approval rating and has been ranked as one of the least effective legislators in all of Washington, it’s no wonder that Congressman Schneider makes no mention of his abysmal record or even the fact that he’s a member of Congress,” said James Slepian, Dold for Congress campaign manager. “Congressman Schneider has demonstrated that he knows how to hide from his constituents, but the voters won’t let him hide from his record at the ballot box.”

1. - Just Observing - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:39 am:

I hate to say that’s a bad message cuz they’ve probably tested it in polling, but I think touting that your a Dem, especially in a mid-term election, is a bad message.

2. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:41 am:

I liked it.
    However the issues he mentions supporting aren’t top of voter’s lists if he wishes to reach independents or cross-over moderate GOP voters.

The Tea Party “obstructionists”, pro-abortion stand and pro-gay marriage are all issues that liberal Democrats will find resonating with them. Schneider needs to find common ground with voters on issues voters are saying concerns them in order to convince them to return him to Washington.

It is a fine ad.

C+

3. - phocion - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:43 am:

“D”
    For starters, what’s with the music? And sitting in the backseat of Brad’s car is hardly fun for the viewer. So, his destination was to get a cup of coffee? The stuff he says he stands for is pretty generic and weak.

4. - Walter Sobchak - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:45 am:

How, in a democracy, does one actually ’stop Tea Party obstruction’?

5. - Rahm's Parking Meter - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:46 am:

I give it a B-. He should have touted all he has done for Israel as well, in order to appeal to defense minded voters in the district.

6. - Toure's Latte - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:54 am:

C. Not bad for a first shot. The end was weak: saying “We can still accomplish great things.” Might have been better said “Together we can accomplish even greater things.” Give people a little credit for effort already put in, instead of sounding like there’s a shot-clock running down.

7. - Boone's is Back - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:58 am:

Terrible- I’d give it a D as well. Seriously looks like poll-tested soundbites thrown together without any coherent message.

8. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:59 am:

How, in a democracy, does one actually ’stop Tea Party obstruction’?

Ask Lois Lerner.

9. - The Captain - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:00 am:

Is he still trying to win the Democratic primary?

10. - Sunshine - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:05 am:

I don’t see Tea Party as being an obstruction. It’s part of this very important thing we call independence.

He should use all his time to focus on what he has done and will do. C-

11. - Happy Gun Owner - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:09 am:

To quote Homer Simpson -

“That’s boring. You’re boring everybody. Quit boring everyone!”

12. - bullet - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:14 am:

same old stuff no answers to the problems because they (elected officials) are the problem…..

13. - ZC - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:16 am:

>> How, in a democracy, does one actually ’stop Tea Party obstruction’?

By defeating its favored candidates at the polls? In other words, by electing more Democrats to the House? Sounds pretty straightforward (and non-threatening) to me.

14. - walker - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:17 am:

Aimed at funders, and getting out volunteers? Maybe GOTV?

Won’t be switching anybody.

Dold, by contrast, is running away from his old Joe Walsh allies on the far right, and pretending to be pretend-Kirk.

D+

15. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:17 am:

It’s another “boring” pass. I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think he cited a single difference between him and his opponent in this ad. He’s running against a guy who’s pretty well known there. This ad is kind of milquetoast in a race that is being touted as “hotly contested”. This wasn’t too hot.

16. - lake county democrat - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:36 am:

I think it’s good (and I’m pretty hard on Schneider) - the message to 10th voters is “Forget what a dweeb I am - I’m a vote against John Boehner. Remember that a vote for Dold is a vote for the bat-crap crazy Republicans. You’re not voting for individuals here.” (And he’s right).

17. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:36 am:

===but I don’t think he cited a single difference between him and his opponent in this ad===

Most voters in the 10th understand if the GOP retains the majority, the Tea Party is empowered. You’re right that there aren’t many substantive differences between Schneider and Dold on the issues. That’s why the Tea Party angle will be so important.

Also, “we’re all in this together” is a line I’ve heard before somewhere and I think it still has some resonance in the 10th.

18. - lake county democrat - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:38 am:

(Not sure if 47th Ward is being modest or not, but “we’re all in this together” was Bill Clinton’s theme in his 2012 nominating speech at the Dem national convention).

19. - lake county democrat - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:39 am:

(I only know that because I thought it was a masterful speech and listened to it several times)

20. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:41 am:

Gentleman’s B.

The music was distracting, but the message was upbeat. The focus on social issues was odd, but running against the “Tea Party” in that district is smart.

The positives and negatives cancel out.

21. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:46 am:

LCD, that line was the central theme of Barack Obama’s last three campaigns. It would not surprise me to see POTUS and the Big Dog make campaign appearances for Schneider before this is over.

Say what you will about Obama’s negatives, in Illinois he can bring out Democratic voters like no one else and turnout is the ballgame in the 10th this year.

22. - Adam Smith - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:47 am:

It’s Schneider’s only hope. As has been tried every election for the past 15 years in the 10th, the Dem tries to paint the GOP candidate as a right wing extremist. The success record is weak. Only in 2012, with Obama boosting Dem turnout, did it work, and only by a hair.

Dold is in his third run and has spent tons of money to stake out his moderate positions. I don’t see this as being very effective, especially given Schneider’s very low-profile first term.

I give it a C-.

23. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:04 am:

===47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:36 am:

I guess the whole “Tea Party obstruction has to stop” line was too subtle for you.===

It wasn’t subtle at all 47. But it was pretty ridiculous when it comes to Dold. I get your notion of a grander theme here, but Congressional politics is pretty local. The 10th isn’t out there to save the country any more than any other single district. The tea party theme is being used all over. I don’t know if it polls great in each or any of these spots, but it sure does seem like that’s all they got.

24. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:07 am:

A guy,

The Tea Party does more harm than good for the GOP brand in the 10th. You know it. I know it. Schneider and Dold know it too. Sending one of these guys to Congress helps the Tea Party.

That’s a pretty big “single difference” if you ask me.

25. - Louis G. Atsaves - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:15 am:

Hmmm! Last few tea party events and meetings I have attended, all had vocal anti-Dold comments on his moderate social positions. Calling him a Tea Party Guy just doesn’t register much anymore. Nice to see Democrats favoring tax relief for the middle class. Anyone break that news to Quinn and the Springfield Democrats?

Strange music didn’t help. C-

26. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

Get to know the district.

If you’ll recall Dold’s spots from last week, he’s running as a New Deal Democrat, talking about more money for job training, mass transit and higher education — but no mention of social issues.

Schneider’s just pointing out that Dold is a Republican, and a vote for Dold is a vote for the agenda of the House GOP caucus. The Dixie wing of the GOP is a tough sell on the North Shore.

Give it an “A” for knowing the district and putting Dold on the defensive.

27. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 1:36 pm:

And John Porter served with Newt Gingrich.

28. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 1:42 pm:

–And John Porter served with Newt Gingrich.–

I’m sure there’s a point there just waiting to be made.

29. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:39 pm:

“The Dixie wing of the GOP is a tough sell on the North Shore.”

It just sort of hit me funny Slinger that you state this now, and Newt seemed to fit that whole Dixie wing theme a little more than Boehner. And John Porter and Dold seem more similar to one another. (Throw in Mark Kirk for that matter)

That would be the point you coy boy you.

30. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:21 pm:

–Newt seemed to fit that whole Dixie wing theme a little more than Boehner.–

Why’s that? Boehner doesn’t run his caucus. It runs him. You just haven’t been paying attention.

Today’s House GOP is much farther to the right and profoundly more confused than they were in Gingrich’s time. As Newt himself said, “they’re mired in stupidity.”

Dold certainly is not running as a GOP team player. You’ve seen his spots, right?

Mass transit, job training, support for higher education — how big a laugh does Dold’s agenda get in the House GOP caucus when they invoke the Hastert rule?

It’s a tough sell on the North Shore. You claim to knock on doors and everyone (shockingly) agrees with you all the time — try selling the current House GOP on the North Shore. Dold’s running away from them.

31. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:36 pm:

You’re snarling again Slinger. I’m not knocking on doors in the 10th. Are you? It’s been a pretty smart district over the years that has preferred intellectual discourse. Having Schneider accuse Dold of being something he isn’t- and they know he isn’t- is a strategy that would seem to be destined to backfire. Schneider’s ad says nothing of substance or any real difference to make him stand out from the other guy. As you’ve stated, Dold has campaigned on a variety of issues that you and many other can tick off like clockwork. Yet you love this ad. Good for you. I don’t love it or hate it. By tomorrow I’ll forget about it. That’s my point Slinger of Words.

32. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:39 pm:

A Guy, you flop around from one thing to the next. You really don’t have a point, trust me.

33. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:55 pm:

===Having Schneider accuse Dold of being something he isn’t- and they know he isn’t- is a strategy that would seem to be destined to backfire. Schneider’s ad says nothing of substance or any real difference to make him stand out from the other guy.===

A guy, I’ll try to break this down for you. Again.

It’s not that Dold is a right wing bomb-thrower, it’s that electing him empowers the right wing bomb-throwers in the House GOP caucus.

If you really aren’t smart enough to see this, then trust me when I tell you that 10th CD voters are smart enough to see it.

BTW, Gingrich and Porter hated each other. Gingrich changes the House rules to dump cardinals like Porter. Kirk served most of his term in the House under Hastert. Neither Hastert nor Gingrich had anything remotely close to the nihilists of the Tea Party in their respective caucuses. You comparison falls flat.

34. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:56 pm:

Slinger, sorry to disappoint you. The only way to have a point with you is complete agreement with you. Trust me.

35. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:16 pm:

–Slinger, sorry to disappoint you. The only way to have a point with you is complete agreement with you. –

Another victim heard from.

You assume positions and then scramble for “evidence” to support them when challenged. Most times, that involves nothing more than invoking “the people you talk to,” who, shockingly, always agree with you.

36. - Louis G Atsaves - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:29 pm:

@47th: ===No one is saying Dold is a mouth-breathing Tea Partier. But Schneider is rightfully pointing out a FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE between them: Dold is a Republican who will vote for John Boehner for Speaker. John Boehner couldn’t lead a three car parade because the Tea Party is driving the other two cars and they keep running him over.===

So you are telling us Dold as a Republican will vote against the Tea Party caucus in Washington? If that is the case, then why bother voting for Brad Schneider? I don’t know what is more confusing, the message of that Schneider ad, or the attempts to explain that confused message by Schneider supporters.

37. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:33 pm:

Louis, you are pretty confused. The Tea Party/Dixiecans run the House GOP caucus, not Boehner. It’s been in all the papers.

38. - Responsa - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:39 pm:

Yeah, I don’t know who’s advising/devising his ad campaign or if this one’s a knock-off version that’s been customized for Brad from a generic Dem piece for 2014. This ad might gain him some bucks from Dem contributors, but since he needs considerable numbers of Repub crossover votes to win in the 10th district he sure missed the mark by using this approach. I also agree with others who think the music’s weird and distracting.
    Dold’s campaign must have smiled when they saw this partisan ad.
    C-

39. - Dold the hypocrite - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:52 pm:

Dold does not bring up anything he did in Congress, and also avoids any mention of him formerly representing the 10th. Seems a tad hypocritical to me.

40. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:59 pm:

===So you are telling us Dold as a Republican will vote against the Tea Party caucus in Washington?===

No, I am telling you he will be voting for John Boehner for Speaker, which means he’ll be voting to empower the Tea Party in his own caucus.

C’mon Louis, you’re not dumb. You know how badly the Tea Party hurts the GOP brand in Lake Forest. That’s why Dold is pretending to run against the Tea Party. I don’t blame him, I would too.

Except the only vote that really matters for Dold is who he’ll vote for as Speaker. After that, the damage is done. Why do you think your man isn’t mentioning the word “Republican” in his ads? Tea Party and Republican are synonyms at this point.

It’s not confusing at all.

41. - Responsa - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:05 pm:

== Tea Party and Republican are synonyms at this point.==

You know, 47th, they’re really not. And the R party wouldn’t be having an internal civil war right now if they were in fact synonymous.

42. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:22 pm:

You’re right Responsa, that was a dumb thing to say and I take it back. I will say though that the Tea Party has an exceedingly strong influence in House GOP politics and I stand by my point that a Dold victory would perpetuate this (negative in my opinion) influence.

43. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:41 pm:

47, I just don’t believe that the tea party influence you refer to is what you state it to be. I get your analysis, but it concludes that the people of the 10th (I think we both agree it’s a pretty smart and moderate district) will use Schneider to punish the GOP by using the tea party as the reason and not elect someone who represents their views best. Do I understand you correctly?

44. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:50 pm:

I think the voters in the 10th would reject any Tea Party candidate. Since they don’t have an actual Tea Party candidate running, it’s Schneider’s job to show them how a vote for Dold is also, indirectly, a vote for the Tea Party.

45. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 6:23 pm:

A Guy, try the google. With the self-imposed Hastert Rule, the Tea Party has rolled Boehner time and again.

The only times he ever bucked them was on sequester and debt ceiling, and he needed virtually all the Democratic votes to do it.

46. - Louis G Atsaves - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 7:37 pm:

Dumb? Tea Party groups in the 10th are very critical of Dold for good reason. I do walk the area door to door. The “Dold is the same as a Tea Party candidate” isn’t flying for good reason. And a vote for Boehner is a vote against the Tea Party wing. Didn’t Boehner fire up the Tea Party members against him within his ranks by replacing many of them with non-Tea Partiers when it came to committee assignments and chairmanships? All the tea partiers talk about is who they want to replace Boehner.

But in your mind, ignoring those facts, a vote for Boehner enables the tea party wing. Most within the TFG wing of the party would strongly disagree with you.

If you think you are absolutely correct, I can’t change your mind. I’ll still debate you. But I won’t shut down debate by calling you or anyone else dumb.

47. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 8:32 pm:

Louis, if your last comment was directed again, please re-read what I wrote. I specifically said I didn’t believe you were dumb. In fact, the only person I said was dumb was a reference to myself.

But if you can’t see how keeping the GOP in the Majority in the House helps advance the Tea Party agenda, I can’t even debate you and will not bother to try anymore.

48. - Watchdog - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:06 pm:

The reason you vote for Dold in IL-10 “47″ is the fact that he is a moderate. He is part of this centrist republican faction in Congress that gains a lot if he is elected and takes one more vote away from the tea party in the Republican caucus.

There was a serious under-vote for Bob with conservatives in 2012 and his campaign team has done a lot to mend and create those relationships without falling in lock step ( a difficult thing to do with very principled people). It’s just not who Bob is.

Back to why Dold, because he is a Republican who will have a voice in a Republican dominated Congress. Will Brad has his faced pressed against the glass looking in, Bob’s voice has a lot of sway behind it. Leadership is the keyword here. Leadership and Independence is all I would talk about if I were Bob.

49. - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy - Wednesday, Sep 3, 14 @ 11:16 am:

The only information I have gleaned from this messaging forum is that there are two people willing to spend all of their time sticking up for Brad Schneider against the overwhelming support for Bob Dold. 47Ward and Wordslinger seem to be Schnieder’s only supporters on here. The most intelligent comment has came from Watchdog. Tip of the hat.

TrackBack URI

* Gonna be a light day here
* No details except for a new hole
* Frerichs to Simon: No thanks

* We review the new iMac with 5K Retina display in Macworld’s January Digital Edition
        * Google Maps for Android picks up new settings, auto-correct notices
        * Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides apps for Android updated
        * Facebook’s Interest-Based Social App Rooms Is Now Easier To Use
        * Micromax wins temporary injunction against Shenzhen OnePlus in India
        * Microsoft preps for Lumia Denim with intro vid, support docs
        * Pushbullet adds Quick-Action support

* Teradata dives further into Hadoop with RainStor acquisition
        * Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Looks To Have Gold Plated Model
        * Incipio NGP Case for iPhone 6 Plus Review
        * Samsung Galaxy E7 Spotted In GFXBench
        * Here’s why email newsletters can be so powerful — and valuable
        * Hector Robot Walks With An Insect Gait
        * Should Parents Lie About Santa to Their Kids?

* Samardzija, Lester are right fits in Windy City