The governor talks to the press
Friday, Jan 9, 2009
* 3:19 pm - Click here to read the transcript of the governor’s event.
* 3:14 pm - Most of the governor’s media event…
* 3:11 pm - We’re coming a bit late to this, but Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn is doing a press conference right now. Click here to watch.
* 3:01 pm - The governor quoted from Tennyson’s Ulysses today. This stanza immediately preceding the one Blagojevich quoted seems much more appropriate…
* 2:51 pm - Tribune…
* 2:35 pm - Blagojevich: Not a surprise… foregone conclusion… What the House did today they’ve been talking about doing for the last couple of years… First time was in the summer of 2007.
It happened kind of fast, but then again kind of expected. Dynamic since reelected as governor in 2006. Struggled to… try to get things done for people.
Wanted to do a capital program but: “The House has stood in the way of letting that happen.”
And so from the moment of my reelection I’ve been pushing and prodding the House to expand health care… stood in the way of my expansions.
Wanted tax relief for homeowners of Cook County, they passed a bill to take away tax relief.
The House’s action today and the causes of the impeachment are because I’ve done things to fight for families who are with me here today.
The governor is now going through the impeachment counts to defend himself, starting with the I-SaveRx program, which was first suggested to the governor by Rahm Emanuel.
“The House is impeaching me for that. Is that an impeachable offense?”
Now he’s talking about helping a mammogram patient and his mammogram screening program. “That’s a life-saving program the House would not act on. I found a way to do it by going around the House… Is that an impeachable offense?
Now, it’s AllKids. Another beneficiary is pointed out. “Is that an impeachable offense?”
“Creative ways to use the executive authority of governor” to get things done. “I don’t believe those are impeachable offenses.”
“I’m going to continue to fight every step of the way.”
Quoting more poetry. Left without taking questions, even though he indicated he would earlier.
* 2:21 pm - “Supporters” of the governor have been ushered into the room. He needs a cheering section, apparently.
* 2:17 pm - Two minute warning
* 2:01 pm - The Tribune also has a live feed.
* 1:45 pm - CBS2 will have a live video feed of the governor’s 2 o’clock media event. Click here to watch it.
And while we’re awaiting the governor’s statement today, keep my recent Sun-Times column in mind…
It could be fun, campers. We’ll see. He loves to blame the House for absolutely everything. Today will obviously be no different. The big question I have is whether he calls out individual members by name. He’s just bizarre enough to do it.