Capitol - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Morning Shorts has always been a pain in the rear to do and then hardly anyone ever comments. So, I’m done with it. It’s over. Kaput. Finished.

Instead, after some initial difficulties getting it to work, I’m posting Stateline’s Illinois news feed on the right side of the page. They do a great job of finding all Illinois-related news items so I don’t have to.

The only way MS gets a reprieve is if you demand it in comments today. Otherwise, it’s history.

Use this Question of the Day to comment on the demise of Morning Shorts and suggest other things you’d like to see on the blog.

UPDATE: How about if I highlight the Stateline feed in a post of its own every day? Like this:

Stateline IL

1. - Been There - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:03 am:

I really liked them. You also did a great job in pulling together stories, as well as commentators that dont seem to pop up in the net news summaries posted to the right. Great job all around, btw. Thanks!

2. - Conservative Republican - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:06 am:

With all due respect, Mr. Miller, I read your blog for its focus on Illinois politics, insider read on the events, and the cross reference to related news/commentary. I go elsewhere to read the news, and by the time I get to your blog, I’ve seen most of the news listed in your Morning Shorts.

If you drop it I won’t miss it.

3. - bomber91 - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:08 am:

I like this new news feed and it frees your time up for the rest of the blog. While this is an Illinois-based blog, it’s nice to see what other states are doing.

4. - bored now - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:09 am:

personally, i liked it, but only you know how best to devote your time. although i believe i have commented on one (possibly two) item(s), i never felt like the reader comments was their function. i appreciated being alerted to various things, the convenience of your pulling them all together and your wit.

5. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:10 am:

Rich, it’s your blog, do whatever you want. Whatever you do, insiders will keep coming to debate, outsiders will keep coming to spectate, and the main stream media will keep coming to borrow stories without attribution.

Theft, not imitation, is the sincerest form of flattery.

6. - Gary Sawyer - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:11 am:

I liked Morning Shorts and wish you would keep it. I can get a news feed on a lot of sites, but I look to you to filter out what might be important and or interesting.

So I say keep it.

7. - Pat Hickey - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:12 am:

Lay that burden down.

8. - Morning Shorts Fan - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:19 am:

I liked the shorts a great deal. My vote is to keep it.

9. - Jim Leach - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:21 am:

Personally, I liked it. And anytime I can get somebody of Rich Miller’s caliber to do some of my legwork for me — for free — I’m in favor of it.

10. - Keep It - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:26 am:

Keep it, it is a great resource for those of us who love Illinois politics but have real jobs, too.

11. - zatoichi - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:30 am:

MS are fine, but like others said: won’t miss it cause there are other places to go for similar stuff. Leaves more room/time for other topics and associated rants that you cover so well. Your blog. Do as you see fit. The crowd will not leave.

12. - Anon - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:36 am:

The feeds on the right side of the page are all you need. I won’t miss the a.m. shorts.

13. - Collin Hitt - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:45 am:

People have as many thoughts on your blog as they do on politics. Wow. I liked the morning shorts because you linked to my op-ed in the SJ-R, last month. Thanks.

14. - 'The Gay Governor' - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:01 am:

Could you move the Stateline Illinois news feed to the top of your page?

15. - anon - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:09 am:

Your update is an excellent idea and will work fine.

16. - Reddbyrd - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:12 am:

Rich: Pleeeze save your energy for managing all the GOP (as in MOPE) posts on the blog. The MS fans can find their own news.
    Plus you need to get that boat ready to take all your fans out for free cruises, beer, brats.
    BTW When will you post the link for boat cruise calendar?
    BTW2 For all the whiners who want to give the oil companies via gas tax cut you’ll be happy to note the Wall Street Journal reports Big Oil industry groups will send about +$80 milliion on new ads, pr and lobbyists. Forget research and expanding capacity.

17. - no name - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:17 am:

Rich, maybe instead of a question of the day, you should have a running “quote of the day” contest. If you do, I submit the following quote from Liz Eilers, former downstate director for Jim Oberweiss, as quoted in Bernie Schoenberg’s column (set up paragraph by Bernie):

Eilers believes that one reason illegal immigrants have found so many job opportunities in the United States is because so many U.S. residents in lower socioeconomic levels have abortions. That, she contends, has reduced the supply of American blue-collar workers.

“The whole illegal immigration issues stems from abortion,” she said.

Oh, Judy needs to get this woman on board with her campaign. She will really bring he conservative vote home in November. Koo-Koo.

18. - Anon sequitur - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:17 am:

I enjoyed the Morning Shorts but never commented because as noted above I never thought it was for that purpose. I especially enjoyed your comments on the importance or relevance of certain stories. Perhaps if you changed Morning Shorts to “Must See” media items, it would serve the same purpose. Also, you might consider creating a special highlighter for any news feed items you think are significant.

I assume you will continue to point out other blog posts of special interest.

19. - archpundit - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:36 am:

I liked it, but there’s a reason I don’t do it…

I do like the Stateline headlines simply because it saves me another visit.

20. - Cuero de Lovie - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:38 am:

¡Gran idea, rico! Destacar el Stateline diario sería un abierto-hilo fresco. ¡Una vez más, gran idea!

21. - Rich Miller - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:41 am:

LOL. I wonder if he knows he’s being mocked.

22. - Jim Leach - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:41 am:

Sorry, Rich, that won’t do. Morning Shorts or nothing at all!

Kidding, of course. Either way, it’s a nice feature.

23. - Steve Rhodes - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 11:57 am:

I liked Morning Shorts because I saw it less as a roundup and more of your take on what was interesting, important, and quirky. We can get the newsfeeds on the right side of the page or elsewhere. Perhaps you could keep Morning Shorts, but without any compulsion to be exhaustive, or to even care much about comments. Instead, use it as your quick summary of maybe the top five or so stories/sites/images to look at.

24. - YNM - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 12:05 pm:

Please, Rich, for everyone’s sake … KEEP YOUR SHORTS UP!

25. - Rich Miller - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 12:06 pm:

26. - Shorty - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 12:38 pm:

I can live w/o your shorts, but would prefer to have the Stateline-Il morning highlights in the left column daily. Thanks.

27. - Six Degrees of Separation - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 12:48 pm:

That $80 million will provide a lot of hot air. A great source of alternative energy, if it can be harnessed.

28. - Get Shorty - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 1:07 pm:

Just because we don’t comment doesn’t mean we don’t read them. You’re playing the role of editor in picking the stories which are more interesting (and commenting on their significance) rather than forcing laymen to slog through the redundant list of stories in the robo search engines.

I vote to keep it.

29. - Bill Baar - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 1:13 pm:

yes, please

30. - Maroon - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 1:16 pm:

This frequent visitor personallly finds the morning shorts to be incredibly valuable. It is great to see a sampling of *THE* most important news stories around the state. In a way, it’s similar to realclearpolitics, one of my other favorite sites. Take the noise of news and boil it down to a half-dozen articles and stories that really matter. It’s a huge time-saver for me, and I imagine a huge-time saver for the rest of the readers. As a Chicagoan, the only time I ever read anything non-Tribune or Sun-Times is if it is linked through this blog.

Please keep morning shorts!

31. - Anon - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 1:19 pm:

It’s a good feature. Hope you keep it up.

32. - Dan Vock - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 1:35 pm:

As the guy who usually compiles the Stateline round-up for Illinois every morning, I can tell ya they’re not a robo-list. ;)

33. - Howie - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 1:43 pm:

I loved your MS. They’re one of the first things I look for when I log on daily, and I would hope you bring it back. However, I realize you’re a very busy person and if it’s a hassle to do so, then the current update propsoal will do fine. But if you can, bring MS back! Thanks.

34. - Just Observing - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 1:46 pm:

I like morning shots best — pithy summary — I usually go there first. I just don’t comment on it because the thread would get too convoluted with all the different stories. I hope it stays.

35. - Walking Wounded - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 1:49 pm:

Your blog is one of the first places I go to when I get on the web. I like the m.s., even if I don’t comment a lot. Like the others, I wouldn’t mind if you kept posting them.

36. - Horace Greeley - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 2:05 pm:

Post the Morning Shorts on the right hand side of the page, above the feeds. We value your editorial efforts on our behalf. Solicit your regulars to submit a guest column by a time certain each day; choose the one you like best; post the next morning on the left as the first item. All the spews that snits can print.

37. - Sharad Kumar - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 2:11 pm:

Keep the morning shorts, Rich!

38. - Wumpus/Cad - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 2:54 pm:

Rich, Rich, Rich, I demand my morning shorts! Enough said and I will see them tomorrow, if not Tuesday. You can take a long weekend to properly celebrate the weekend.

39. - Comerford - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 2:59 pm:

Good compromise. You still will have the summary and you can spend more time on the boat. I think a Friday “Lake blogging” feature should be considered.

40. - Reddbyrd - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 3:29 pm:

Tomorrow’s question should be:
    Is it credible to say you do not know someone if you have a fundraiser at their DC restaurant? Let’s let once favored Congressional candidate Petey Roskam answer first. :)

41. - Wumpus/Cad - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 4:22 pm:

I dunno Redbyrd, that seems to be contagious. Howard Dean is the one who said that No Abramoff/or his agent’s money went to any dems. We all know that Enron was ONLY a GOP Scandal since they only gave to Republicans.

We are apparently allowed to ask Pedro Roskam about Delay, but not Major Duckworth about Hired Trucks or how she feels about being compared to Nazi’s by her sponsor, Dickie D.

42. - B Hicks - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 4:26 pm:

Keep the shorts.

43. - Papa Legba - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 4:29 pm:

The Stateline feeds are good to have listed in a sidebar. It is great for us lazy surfers. I think the problem with the MS’s lack of comments is due to other items posted afterwards tend to attract attention thus taking people’s thoughts away from the shorts. Maybe if you threw in a condensed version later in the day and called it your Daily Dump… or something to that effect. You could also reduce the shorts to only what you consider to be the daily “hot button” items. Bottom line, its your blog, its your rules.

44. - Mr. Luxury Yacht - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 4:33 pm:

but it’s spelt “Throatwobblermangrove”

Keep Up the Shorts, Please!

This is my main State politics page for each day - I start here and root around via links from here.

That said, if it truly burns you, better to keep some Rich than risk losing it all. :)

45. - Silent Majority - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 9:45 pm:

Keep the morning shorts. Your links are more relevant to readers of this blog than someone elses.

46. - Swami - Thursday, May 25, 06 @ 10:24 pm:

Keep the morning shorts.

47. - saluki yay-hoo - Friday, May 26, 06 @ 12:49 am:

Why to keep the morning shorts … ?? First, it’s one of the things that makes this joint so unique.

Second, it’s kind of like opening up a newspaper in the mornings of these techno savvy times. There’s a few headlines with some nicely penned ledes which add an extra personal touch, kind of like the intimacy of holding a newspaper, in an electronic way, and is far better than a comparitively more impersonal list of barren, newsy links with boring headlines which resemble, well, any other typical news feed.

Maybe people don’t comment, but maybe they didn’t really know that such a thing is expected. I mean, they’re called shorts right? Why bother burdening the shorts with the gravitas of one’s thoroughly informed opinons when so much may be commented on as they develop later?

Think of morning shorts as an intangible factor of the blog — like when they talk about intangibles in athletes. It’s just one of those things that can’t be quantified, but still makes for exceptional performance.

Maybe they are a pain in the keister, but the effort, sans comments, is thoroughly appreciated and I sincerely hope you keep the MS. But if not, that’s cool. I certainly won’t be moved to bail to some other source, or, heaven forfend, start my own blog.

48. - Anonymous - Friday, May 26, 06 @ 8:45 am:

The shorts are nice, but stateline is a good alternative.

With the time saved, perhaps more focused posts and commentary on smaller stories from around the state would generate more discussion.

* More shenanigans!
* Saturday campaign money report
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Shenanigans!
* Tribune drops bombshell on Biss running mate
* Rauner: "Madigan has rigged the Democratic primary for Pritzker"
* New Ives radio ad claims Democrats are trying to help Rauner, while Brady does Rauner robocall
* *** UPDATED x1 - DGA responds *** Elections board says DGA should file disclosure for Ives ad
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY: Jones; IEA/IFT; Reis; Mitchell; Edgar
* ISRA, Drury both try to claim Raoul inserted "poison pill" into gun bill
* Pro-life group launches GOTV effort for Lipinski
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Rauner opens new online track against Ives
* Erika Harold still can't remember comments, but says "I was wrong"
* Rauner calls Madigan "a unified force of bad, of evil"
* Sen. Duckworth gets involved in another state central committee race
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Has Pritzker gone to ground?
* Illinois House Bill HB 4900 Wastes Government Resources
* McCann, barred from SGOP caucus meeting, claims Rauner threatened to "destroy you and your family"
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Caption contest!
* Obama mailer kerfuffle in Lipinski district
* Rauner attended Quincy campaign event after Quincy veterans' home presser
* After spending millions in Dem primary, Rauner accuses "Washington liberals" of "hijacking" the GOP primary

* Place your bets? Illinois preparing for legal s.....
* Final battle time for the Democratic civil war .....
* The Daley family legacy runs deep in Illinois, .....
* ‘It is going to be extremely difficult’: Southe.....
* Jim Dey | Assessing the Cook County assessor's .....
* Primary concerns: Local issues, offices on Tues.....
* Rauner's Gun-Bill Veto Was Timed Accidentally, .....
* 'It is going to be extremely difficult': Southe.....

* Illinois primary puts focus on security of state voter rolls
* EXCHANGE: Historian doesn't want hero's story lost
* EXCHANGE: Losing a limb has not handicapped Pekin bowler
* Illinois governor race more fierce, costly as primary nears
* Judge gives FBI more time in alleged serial killer case
* Michigan shipwreck hunters find schooner that sank in 1873
* Immigrant reunited with child months after separation by US
* SIU consolidating student housing to west side of campus
* Illinois lawmaker seeks to abolish townships to lower taxes
* Police presence across Illinois upped for St. Patrick's Day

* As primaries loom, downstate Democrats look for a way back
* Pritzker defends putting $69.5 million of his fortune into campaign
* Illinois governor race more fierce, costly as primary nears
* Madigan backs Dem central committee incumbent in 13th
* Trump factor looms large in Illinois governor primary campaigns
* Ray LaHood brokers deal for O'Hare expansion
* McCann says Rauner threatened to 'destroy' him in 2015 over vote
* Rauner looking into state buying vacant nursing home in Quincy
* Luciano: What if Downstate dumped Chicago and formed new state?
* AP review: Push for gun laws faces resistance in most states

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* Amazon search team in Chicago next week
* Amazon HQ2 search team visiting Chicago March 21-22
* Pension mess? You'd hardly know it from 2018's gubernatorial candidates.
* The Best New Event Spaces in Chicago 2018

* Sean Bean on his many deaths and ‘Game of Thrones’ legacy
* Man shot in Gage Park
* Sun-Times/WBBM Religion Roundup: Anti-Semitic incidents in Illinois up sharply
* 2 wounded in shooting on Dan Ryan
* Man wounded in Portage Park drive-by shooting
* Man accidentally shot at Englewood apartment
* Man shot while standing on sidewalk in Homan Square
* 3 injured, 2 critically, in DeKalb crash
* Missing 76-year-old man last seen driving in Park Manor
* Police: 1 shot dead, 1 grazed by bullet while driving in Back of the Yards

* Turtle racing's had a long, slow burn in Chicago
* LeBron James' triple-double too much for Bulls as Cavs pull out 114-109 victory
* 'Saturday Night Live': John Goodman, Fred Armisen make surprise appearances
* Kyle Schwarber's improvements evident in spring training
* Russia votes but outcome is clear: 6 more years of Putin
* North Korean diplomat heads to Finland for U.S. talks
* Turkey says its forces take control of Syrian town of Afrin
* Loyola headed to Sweet 16 after Clayton Custer hits game-winning shot in final seconds
* For 'Black Panther' fans, what to know about the suburban hamlet of Wauconda

» A Feisty Debate, Offshore Accounts — And Some Side-Eye
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: March 16, 2018
» The Week in Review: Pritzker Slammed Over Offshore Holdings
» Web Extra, The Week in Review: American Airlines Changes Stance
» How Parking Ticket Debt Punishes Black Drivers In Chicago; The Best Illinois Movies
» State Week: Rauner's Gun Veto; Dem's Mean Debate
» #642 Songs About the Music Industry & Antibalas
» March 15, 2018 - Full Show
» Illinois Has Issues: Gov Candidates Talk Marijuana
» Rauner: Replace Legionnaires’-Stricken VA Home With New ‘Ultra-Modern’ Facility

* As primaries loom, downstate Democrats look for a way back
* Pritzker defends putting $69.5 million of his fortune into campaign
* Statehouse Insider: Sadly, the primary campaign is coming to an end
* Bernard Schoenburg: My predictions for Tuesday's primary election
* Our View: A recap of The State Journal-Register’s endorsements
* Bernard Schoenburg: Guessing who will be celebrating Tuesday night
* Madeleine Doubek: Time to end gerrymandering in Illinois
* United Way: Reporting results that matter
* Illinois governor race more fierce, costly as primary nears
* Madigan backs Dem central committee incumbent in 13th

* The primary election is Tuesday. Here's what you need to know before you vote.
* Good cause, fellowship, food draws thousands to Mennonite Relief Sale
* Significant Structures: Burnham Athenaeum
* All-Area Girls' Basketball 2018
* Silver anniversary
* Few choices appear on primary ballot
* Decatur and Macon County Neighbors: Obituaries published today
* 'It is going to be extremely difficult': Southern Illinois leaders prepare for cuts from governor's proposed budget
* Area Calendar 3/18/18
* Daily Digest 3/18/18

* The reasons behind Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane's warmup tradition
* Podolski goal powers Vissel Kobe to 1st win in J-League
* India: Pakistan shelling kills 5 family members in Kashmir
* North Korean diplomat heads to Finland for US talks
* The Latest: Turkey says allied forces reach center of Afrin

* WATCH: Gutiérrez says 'lonely' Trump can c...
* Final battle time for the Democratic civil...
* River Town Chronicles: Randy Hultgren is T...
* 7 Democrats talk strategy for winning prim...
* 14th Democratic hopefuls talk guns at Bata...
* Primary candidates vie for Democratic nomi...
* 14th District candidates agree: Global war...
* ICOs Draw Fire at US Congressional Hearing...
* What to Expect When Congress Talks ICOs To...
* 7 Democrats talk strategy for winning Tues...

* Congolese mother and child finally reunite......
* Congolese mother arrives in Chicago, still......
* Sen. Durbin receives Healy Award for servi......
* House backs school safety bill in Florida ......
* Senator Durbin Receives Alumni Award...

* Congolese mother and child finally reunite......
* Schatz to convene field hearing on false m......
* Congolese mother arrives in Chicago, still......
* Duckworth on Zinke's improper use of Japan......
* US government denies Afghanistan War veter......

* Tucker: Washington not worried about male wage crisis
* State of the Legal Industry: A Leading Innovator Concludes that Inefficiency Prevails
* Wednesday, March 14, 2018
* Monday, 3/12/2018
* Online University Programs and Microcredentials Enhance Professional Learning
* AI is the new electricity, says Coursera’s Andrew Ng
* Bolstering Academic Integrity in the Online Classroom
* Here’s 5 Reasons Why You Should Study An Online MBA In 2018
* 3 Technologies that Education Needs, But Have Not Been Created
* Coursera to offer degrees from UK universities

* February Flooding Information
* IEMA Urges People to Prepare for Severe Weather
* Governor issues state disaster proclamation for flooding in Iroquois, Kankakee, Vermilion Counties
* Winter Storm Warnings for Areas Along and North of I-80
* IEMA Encourages People to Prepare for Earthquakes

* Counterclockwise: the story of Galaxy S phones, part 2
* Cambridge Analytica’s use of Facebook data was a ‘grossly unethical experiment’
* Oculus Go standalone VR headset rumored to launch at F8 developer conference
* In Past Tense: The story of Paul's phones
* How Uber ghost rides are linked to online money laundering
* What the GDPR will mean for companies tracking location