Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008

* From Sneed today…

Sneed hears rumbles Jim Oberweis, the Oberweis Dairy owner being backed by former U.S. Rep. J. Dennis Hastert to fill Hastert’s vacant House seat, has plans if he wins.

Translation: Oberweis is telling pals privately he’ll probably only be a one-termer because . . . he would use the congressional seat as a launching pad to run for Illinois governor again.

* And from yesterday’s Moline Dispatch

Mike Boland isn’t waiting for opportunity to knock. Instead, he plans to march door-to-door, looking for it himself.

After dabbling with plans to run for higher political office for several years, state Rep. Boland, D-East Moline, said he is considering running for governor or lieutenant governor come 2010.

“It would probably depend on what my good friend Pat Quinn, the lieutenant governor, does,” he said Monday.

Rep. Boland originally jockeyed for the lieutenant governor’s seat in 2001, but ultimately did not run. In 2005 he eyed the state Senate and in 2006 he tried to feel out the 17th Congressional District seat. He also has expressed interest in running for state treasurer.

The difference between Oberweis and Boland is that Oberweis actually runs for the offices he covets, while Boland never pulls the trigger.

* Anway, on to the question: Of all the people currently in Illinois politics (both parties), which one (or more) would make you vote for Rod Blagojevich? Explain.

1. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:22 am:

Mike Boland?

Why, WHY would you launch rumors that you are planning on seeking statewide office when you are in the middle of a primary campaign and expected to face a stiff General Election challenge once again?

Madigan’s staff must’ve choked on their coffee when they read that one.

2. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:24 am:

I agree, YDD, but answer the question, please. Thanks.

3. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:28 am:

To the QOTD, I don’t consider The Abominable Milkman a serious threat to get the GOP nomination.

I couldn’t vote for Rod last time around, opting for Rich Whitney.

I think the one true contender for the GOP nomination that would force me to vote for Blagojevich is Senator Bill Brady.

Anyone who can beat Topinka out for the NRA nomination and thinks we should ban abortion in the cases of rape and incest, reintroduce school prayer, and teach creationism is way, WAY too far to the Right for Illinois.

4. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:30 am:

of course, Blagojevich has to get the nomination first, and I’d say there’s about a 20% chance of that happening. He won’t be facing Edwin Eisendrath in 2010.

5. - Pat Collins - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:30 am:

No need to vote for GB Rod when there’s a Green candidate to vote for, and make it easier for them to create primary challenges for Dems.

6. - Commonsense in Illinois - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:32 am:

YDD…between Brady and Blago? Even I would have to go with Brady and hope [profanity deleted by Miller] he surrounds himself with bright people.

7. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:32 am:

Does Matt Hale count as a “person currently in Illinois politics?”

8. - S. Illinois - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:33 am:

George Ryan? No.
    Dan Walker? No.
    Alan Keyes?….hmmmm…No
    Pat Quinn? No.
    Rich Whitney? No.
    Maurice Horton? No.
    Satan? No.
    I guess Blago just couldn’t get my vote no matter what.

9. - Old Elephant - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:34 am:

Back on Topic:

Emil Jones
    Jan Schakowsky
    Rahm Emanuel
    The Rev. Jesse Jackson (not the congressman — he’d be better than Blago)

Heck, I think George Ryan should run. His campaign slogan: “Which would you rather have? A good Governor who was a rotten crook or a rotten Governor who’s a great crook?”

He could promise to pardon himself if he won.

10. - DumberThanYouThink - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:36 am:

After he won and then got the bad count in the CaptFax Horse Shoe Fest, Steve Brown is the odds on best choice to run —- especially if the choices are Boland and ChopperJim.
    Now if there are real candidates we might have to reassess.

11. - Bill - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:41 am:

I’m voting for Rod no matter who runs on the other side and I won’t be alone…and yes he will win the nomination.

12. - Anon - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:44 am:

I would probably have to vote for Rod over Todd Stroger. And I’m a democrat. Besides that, I think I would have to suck it up and even vote for a hard right GOP candidate over Rod (and I guess Todd). No wait. I just remembered Peraica. Rod and Todd get my vote over him anyday.

13. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:55 am:

My prediction: It will be Bill vs. Dumber in the primary.

As spokespeople, of course.

14. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:56 am:

Who could make me vote for Blagojevich?

Rich Miller.

15. - Napoleon has left the building - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:57 am:

Nobody can make me vote for Rod Blagojevich. I’m proud to say that I never have and I never will.

I really, really don’t like Oberweis, but if the general election is between him and Blago (and it won’t be), I vote for Obie.

Blago won’t be on the ballot in November 2010, unless he pulls a Joe Lieberman and runs as an independent. Maybe he could change his name to Rod “Health Care For All” Blagojevich.

Wait a minute - that’s pretty scary thought. Could he pull a Joe Lieberman?

16. - Bill - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 10:59 am:

Never underestimate the political prowess of Rod Blagojevich. He has only used a couple of his nine or more lives. You heard it here first.

17. - Bill - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:02 am:

GoBearsss,
    Rich would make an excellent governor but he couldn’t afford the pay cut.

18. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:08 am:

However, Bill, I could be like Edgar and sell my House to a lobbyist. I wouldn’t need a car. Woudn’t need to buy food if I lived in the mansion. Nice health insurance and pension plan. I could set my wife up in some business or another.

I think I could make the money stretch. lol.

Not that I would even REMOTELY consider it. I like life on this side of the fence way too much.

19. - jerry 101 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:10 am:

Tom Cross, Todd Stroger, Bill Brady, Jim Oberweiss, Richard Daley, Ed Vrodolyak, Ted Matlak, oh a bunch of people.

There’s got to be at least 100 people who would make worse governors than Blago. With thousands of politicians in this state, that means the poll of people I would vote for before Blago is large.

20. - Levois - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:11 am:

Nothing could make me vote for this governor. Even if he was actually able to get his liberal goodies to the people he couldn’t get me in his camp. Sorry governor, all you got to do is blame yourself.

21. - jerry 101 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:12 am:

Napoleon - he could try to pull a Joe, but to be successful would mean that 80% of the Republicans and independents in this state vote for him and 40% of the Democrats vote for him.

Given the polling numbers that were reported yesterday, I think that succeeding is very, very doubtful.

22. - bored now - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:15 am:

i hate to say it, but lisa madigan — IF her father was still speaker (i don’t care if he keeps his party gigs). while i think lisa would probably be a great governor, i’d be extremely uncomfortable with all the power in the state resting in one family…

23. - Chicago Cynic - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:15 am:

Nobody. If I was forced into the choice (which frankly I doubt as I think the odds are remote he’ll be on the ticket or even in office, I’d do what I did during the Poshard/Ryan race. I’d stand in the ballot box pondering for 10 minutes how much of a copout it would be for a political activist like me to skip the race. And then I’d skip the race. I could NEVER vote for Rod again.

24. - North of I-80 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:21 am:

> Chuck (Charles) Jefferson
    > Dan Walker (even more out-of-touch than current governor)
    > Rezko (same as what we have now but 2 steps closer to ultimate destination - great understanding of how IL politics work)
    > Richard Daley (same as what we have now but a looser cannon…. look out Springfield airport)

Bonus* Jimmy Carter (his economic plans would make Rod look like a tax-cutting, pro-business economic capitalist - Carter would live in Georgia and fly back + forth in state plane )

25. - Esteban - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:23 am:

No one. Blago is my second choice for governor
    in the next election-my first choice is anyone
    else.

26. - Ravenswood Right Winger - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:23 am:

Emil Jones, Jan Schakowsky, Chicago Ald. Joe Moore.

27. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:24 am:

Bill -

I admire your loyalty, but let’s face reality.

Rod Blagojevich got 100K fewer votes in 2006 than in 2002.

He was the lowest vote-getter of all of the statewide Democratic candidates.

Alexi - a neophyte - got 100,000 more votes than Blagojevich.

And Lisa Madigan? She was the top vote getter, with nearly 800,000 more votes than Hot Rod.

Again, I admire your loyalty, if not your credibility.

28. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:29 am:

bored now:

I think that’s a fair assessment, and it seems fairly certain that Mike Madigan would announce that he would not run for Speaker, and perhaps even retire, if Lisa Madigan is elected governor.

That gives Republicans another great reason to crossover and vote for Lisa for gov — to get Mike out of the Speaker’s chair.

That said, the Chicago Tribune raised the same spectre in Madigan’s primary for AG, and they’ve been eating their words ever since. The Madigan’s have disagreed very publicly on several issues.

29. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:30 am:

===seems fairly certain that Mike Madigan would announce that he would not run for Speaker, and perhaps even retire, if Lisa Madigan is elected governor.===

wanna bet?

30. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:31 am:

I don’t vote just to vote. I do not vote straight party. I switch parties when there are candidates on a primary ballot I want to support. Candidates need to earn my vote. I don’t accept poor choices.

If I do not know the candidates in a race, I do not vote in that race. So I usually do not vote when it comes to judges unless I have learned of a canidate’s worthiness of my vote.

And yes, often this makes my stay in the voting booth very, very, short.

So there is simply nothing that Rod Blagojevich can do to get my vote except become a governor worthy of my vote. He continually fails to earn my vote even though I have considered him in 2002. He continually displays poor judgement, pettiness, and proposes governmental solutions to issues in an willfully blinded ideological manner. He is not open minded enough to bring diversity of opinion into his administration.

However, theoretically he can earn my vote. To start, perhaps he can begin with a lobotomy…

31. - Bill - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:34 am:

If the Speaker really retires I,ll vote for whomever he says.

32. - Dan S. a Voter - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:34 am:

Proud to say I did not voted for Gov. Dufuss and never ever would.

33. - Crockett - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:37 am:

Bill Beavers

34. - Chicago Cynic - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:39 am:

YDD,

They may have disagreed publicly, but the level of behind the scenese coordination between the Madigans is disturbing. I’ve seen it personally on many ocassions and it’s a big problem. While I have enormous respect for what Lisa has done generally and would otherwise vote for her over most of the possible Dems, I could never vote for her if her father was still Speaker. It would be a real problem for our state.

35. - Ghost - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:39 am:

Alan Keys as the repub choice would make me vote for Rod.

The gov may be a poor leader, but alan keys is just scary nuts.

36. - Bill - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:40 am:

Rich,
    If you ever change your mind about running, I’m there. You really could change the way the state does business and we could really have some fun. I’d never move to the patch, however, so we would have to keep Rod’s plane.

37. - jwscott72 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:43 am:

We wouldn’t want you in the Patch either Bill, so it all works out!

38. - leigh - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:43 am:

I would vote for Blago before I would vote for …nope I cannot think of anyone.

39. - phocion - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:44 am:

ken dunkin

40. - Six Degrees of Separation - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:54 am:

Ghost beat me to it with Alan Keyes.

41. - True Observer - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:56 am:

Did Lauzen use the Clinton playbook and give the rumor to Sneed?

42. - Six Degrees of Separation - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 11:56 am:

Obie first has to win the 14th if he is to have any shot at the GOP nomination for governor, and that is far from a lock. Otherwise, Obie’s opponents could just recycle Lauzen’s mailers and add a fourth Dead Cow with stick-ons.

43. - Snidely Whiplash - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:02 pm:

Emil Jones
    Bill Beavers
    The Toddler
    Larry Suffredin
    Anybody named Daley

44. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:04 pm:

Chicago Cynic -

“Ye shall know them by the fruits they bare.”

Whatever Lisa Madigan is doing, its working.

And as much as some people like to complain about how powerful Mike Madigan is, let’s imagine Illinois without Mike Madigan:

- Who led the fight against the Gross Receipts Tax?

- Who opposed unconstitutional efforts to disband the Board of Education?

- Who championed videotaping interrogations?

- Who fought to make sure Senate Democrats got their projects when they were in the minority?

- Who fought to make sure Jesse White’s office was fully funded when Pate controlled the Senate?

Every Democrat who despises Rod Blagojevich should remember Mike Madigan in their prayers.

Rich –

And no, I don’t want to bet, but if Lisa is running for Gov and Madigan isn’t stepping down as Speaker, I will bet that it becomes the #1 issue in the campaign. The press won’t like it and what else do Republicans have to run on?

45. - doggin - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:38 pm:

You’re busy today YDD. I don’t want Rich’s question to even become a reality. The hair better not win the primary. If that happens, we’re in trouble in more ways than one. Any solid candidate (Madigan, Hynes, Alexi) should win.

46. - Sango Dem - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:41 pm:

As long as there’s a Green candidate again, there’s zero chance of me voting for Blago.

47. - Ken in Aurora - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:41 pm:

Absolutely no one!

48. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:51 pm:

- Who led the fight against the Gross Receipts Tax?
    Big business

- Who championed videotaping interrogations?
    Barack Obama

In all serious, I hope he has more than that, because those aren’t things that will help his daughter beat anybody in a few years.

I am sure the liberal left can make a far greater list of OTHER things Madigan has successfully blocked from happening. And it ain’t a positive one.

49. - capitol view - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:54 pm:

I’ll take your bet, Rich. Whenever Lisa runs for governor, I fully expect Speaker Madigan to retire as she takes office, and become an unpaid advisor to her.
    I suspect that they will get along better than Blago and his father-in-law…

50. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:54 pm:

Sorry - it was supposed to say after this line:

“The rest - So you say Mike Madigan’s biggest accomplishments were keeping a big ISBE bureaucracy intact, pork, and bloated staffing?”

The line: ” ”

But Rich’s blog took it out.

51. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:55 pm:

AHHH!
    It said “snark” with brackets.

Rich! Fix it!

52. - Garp - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 12:59 pm:

I don’t think I could vote for Rickey Hendon. He really is a flame thrower and could possibly be worse than Blogo. Maybe I would flip a coin.

53. - MOON - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:14 pm:

Rich

I don’t think Lisa will run for Gov.; however if she did I would bet the speaker would no loger be speaker. Thats a bet I would take in a heart beat!

54. - bored now - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:15 pm:

ydd,

i don’t simply object to the possibility of the concentration of power in a single family, but the appearance of such, as well. as for the trib’s warning, as i recall, the ag’s primary in 2002 was closer than people expected…

55. - Reddbyrd - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:17 pm:

YDD:
    I think you left the $1 billion electric rate refund off the Madigan highlight reel. Just wanted to keep the list complete.

I think I’ll agree with Capt. Fax on it not being a sure thing that the Speaker would retire if the AG runs. The Madigan’s working together has been pretty good for the state.

56. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:23 pm:

GoBearsss -

Sorry, check your facts.

Yes, big business opposed the GRT. But it was Madigan who led the fight and killed it.

Yes, Barack Obama championed videotaping interrogations in 2004.

However, Madigan ally Bob Molaro introduced the measure in the Illinois Senate in February of 2001.

From the Chicago Tribune, Jan. 6, 2002:

“Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan (D-Chicago), the legislature’s leading advocate of videotaping, is expected to renew his push for a law that would require authorities to videotape interrogations in major violent crimes.”

Note that story was published before Democrats took the majority in the Illinois Senate. Pate was a staunch opponent of the videotaping requirement, so I don’t discount Obama or Jones’ role in passing the legislation, and Obama was an outstanding advocate.

However, it was Mike Madigan who led the fight.

57. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:27 pm:

And, GoBearss, whatever you think of the state board of education, Rod’s proposal was unconstitutional. Madigan has been consistent in his efforts to see that the Constitution is upheld, and in fighting the encroachment of Executive Power on the legislature. One need only look to Washington, D.C. to see what happens when Executive Power is left unchecked.

Again, we should remember Madigan in our prayers every night.

58. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:28 pm:

the coding problem leaving out the “snark” identifier comes back to haunt me.

59. - Garp - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:38 pm:

GoBearsss,

Everyone has a different determination of what “progress” is depending on their point of view, but from my point of view we sure do need Madigan now.

60. - Princeville - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:42 pm:

“My comment still remains. Madigan has a longer history of standing in the way of progress than being the leader of progress. ”

I think, GOBearsss, that progress has to be defined. There’s a difference in progress and progress that benefits the state or how we get to any said progress.

With that said, with two more years to go, I don’t think Rod can turn it around enough to get through a primary so that I’d have to worry who to vote for.

61. - Ghost - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:49 pm:

GoBearss is on to somthing. That Evil Speaker Madigan refuses to take gifts, even where they are allowed under the gift ban act. The noble Gov is willing ot take 1,500 checks from friends, who just happen to get jobs. The Gov has refused to allow discussion of a tax increase to cover budget spending, or to let others vote on one, unless he can spin it in his favor….The gov calls pointless special sessions to discuss his ideas but where there is no legislation on the table to discuss, the Gov files lawsuits against politicians who do not agree with him, fires family memebrs of his detrators while hiring the family members of his friends…You can see how we would be better off without somoebidy standing in the way of our beneovlent gov, dang that Madigan.

62. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:58 pm:

not only that, Ghost, Madigan was refusing political contributions from his staff long before it became fashionable.

Blood, he would take, but checks were never solicited and always returned.

GoBearss, if you’d like to define “progress”, I’m happy to debate you.

63. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 1:59 pm:

But let’s atleast admit you got your facts wrong on videotaping first.

64. - lake county democrat - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 2:17 pm:

If the GOP can propose that Alan Keyes be made one of the .01% most powerful people on the planet, anything is possible — indeed, I really wonder if most of the posters here would vote against blago versus a vocal pro-lifer.

65. - bored now - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 2:26 pm:

you know, ydd, i’ve come around to your p.o.v. (”we should remember Madigan in our prayers every night”). which only goes to show how deeply disappointing blagojevich has been.

the only thing i could imagine that’s worse is two madigans at the top of one of the three branches…

66. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 2:29 pm:

OK, enough about the Madigan’s. Back to the QOTD, please.

67. - RMW Stanford - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 2:34 pm:

At this point in time, I think Oberwise has about zero chance of being the GOP nominee, he been rejected 3 times, and any candidate worth their salt rip him to piece over this. If I were a GOP candidate for Governor, I be salivating over the idea of Governor Rod running again, just think what he will do with with almost 3 more years to screw up in.

68. - Napoleon has left the building - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 2:53 pm:

Jerry 101 - You know he might not have the numbers to win in the general as an independent, but he might be able to pull enough democrats away from the Democrat who beat him to ensure that they don’t win either. Given how much animosity there is, I wouldn’t put it past anyone to run just to beat the other guy (and not win). I am hoping he would never do that of course, but the thought has occurred to me.

Perhaps the Chairman of the State Democratic Party might want to pass a law prohibiting someone who has run in a primary from running again as an independent for the same office in the same election year. I wonder if CT has changed their laws?

69. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 2:56 pm:

We already have that law, Napoleon.

70. - K to the 3 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 3:14 pm:

Alan Keyes
    Satan
    Todd Stroger
    Careen Gordon

Yeah, it would take a lot for me to vote for the Rodster. I voted for Edwin Eisendrath and Rich Whitney in 2006. I regret voting for him in ‘02. I’m looking forward to the Lisa Madigan administration…oh and by the way, I’m just guessing you’ll have to pull the gavel out of Mike Madigan’s cold dead hand. No way that man’s ever stepping down.

71. - JakeCP - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 3:38 pm:

If I were to vote in a Democratic Primary then these are the people that would make me vote for Blago otherwise I would just vote for a Republican even if it was Alan Keyes or even…Andy Martin..lol.

Dorothy Tillman
    Rev. Jesse Jackson
    Rev. James Meeks
    William Beavers
    Todd Stroger
    Any Daley
    That’s about it. However if those were the only alternative choices in a primary then you better believe I will stick with the GOP. The Democrats really don’t have any good candidates.

72. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 3:44 pm:

Rich, you really need to enable me to put up that my comment was snark.

You got me into all kinds of trouble.

73. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 3:46 pm:

Do it this way…

[/snark

74. - PhilCollins - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 4:24 pm:

I heard that Sen. Obama said that, if he isn’t elected president, he’ll run for governor, in 2010. I’m conservative, and I’ll probably never vote for a Democrat for governor.

75. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 4:48 pm:

Obama never said that.

76. - Ivory-billed Woodpecker - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 4:48 pm:

Oberweis AND Blagojevich?

Now. Now my head has exploded.

77. - downhereforyears - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 6:47 pm:

Is Mike Boland smoking crack….who knows him besides his district? More importantly “who cares”?

78. - some former legislative intern - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 6:55 pm:

Boland is indeed on crack, but Porter McNeil missed his big chance and that was this year.

MJM issues staff is a fraction of its former great self. I doubt any staff or resources would have been spent saving Boland from McNeil.

79. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Jan 16, 08 @ 7:33 pm:

You know, I was pretty much locked on to anyone but Rod. Then I saw JakeCP’s list and it gave me pause. Upon serious contemplation and reflection, I would vote for POA over: Emil Jones, Dorothy Tillman, Arenda Troutman, Bill Beavers, Toddler, Jerry Weller, Keyes, and anyone named Brady.

80. - T.J. - Thursday, Jan 17, 08 @ 5:20 am:

I would vote for Blagojevich over State Sens. Emil Jones and Mike Frerichs. He is more responsible than either of them.

81. - Aaron Slick - Thursday, Jan 17, 08 @ 8:24 am:

It would take a really horrible GOP candidate that really stunk to high heaven to get me to vote for Blagojevich. I can’t think of a GOP candidate that is bad enough to get me to vote for Rod. Maybe if the GOP ran Big Jim Thompson, perhaps then I would have to think about voting for Rod.

* Illinois will remain in Crosscheck for now
* Maybe practice what you preach, JB?
* After claiming Madigan was on a "descent into madness," Ives now pledges different approach
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Rauner's Madigan schtick wearing thin with the... Kankakee Daily Journal?
* Crain's kills off reader comments
* Freudian slip?
* In mad scramble to deal with opioid crisis, many mistakes are being made
* New sexual harassment laws derided as toothless
* Chuy Garcia to endorse Berrios opponent, and other campaign news
* *** UPDATED x1 - Preckwinkle responds *** Stroger says he's running against Preckwinkle
* Local 150 and Dan Proft: The enemy of my enemy is my friend
* Southern publishes scathing editorial on "bizarre" Rauner press conference
* BGA: At least 35 reported leaks at nuke plants in ten years
* New York Senator endorses Lipinski's Democratic opponent

* Lawmaker Exodus..
* Government's role at the heart of Illinois race.....
* Local 150, Republican activist gang up against .....

* Illinois DNR to landowners: Do homework before selling trees
* Police board overrules superintendent, will review 2012 case
* 2 men serving life sentences for rape, murder released
* Ex-Chicago officer who shot at teens gets 5-year sentence
* Lawsuit against Hastert alleging sexual assault dismissed
* Final report analyzes options for controversial oil pipeline
* Lawsuit against Hastert alleging sexual assault dismissed
* Illinois to stay in much-criticized voter database for now
* Chicago plans to sue US Steel over Indiana plant's spills
* Coal City man pleads not guilty in woman's shooting death

* House task force to review sexual harassment
* Electric cars, better fuel efficiency spell doom for Illinois gas tax
* Springfield wants out of legislation limiting payments for 5G antennas
* Fact check: Are Gov. Rauner's grandparents immigrants?
* Londrigan accused of attacking Davis for 'opposite' of remarks
* Gov. Rauner signs sex harassment legislation
* Under the Dome Podcast: Governor's race, sexual harassment, Rodney Davis
* Macoupin Co. highway renamed in honor of soldier who died in Vietnam
* Macoupin Co. highway renamed in honor of solder who died in Vietnam
* Schoenburg: Rep. Davis leads new caucus, pleased with White House access

* Illinois to stay in controversial voter database for now
* Wirtz family in deal to form $12 billion liquor distributor
* Todd Stroger wants his old job back
* UIC may absorb John Marshall Law School

* Judge permanently blocks Trump sanctuary cities order
* The Fantasy Fool: Big producers can become mortal fast
* Person fatally shot in Palos Heights
* US ending temporary permits for almost 60,000 Haitians
* 28-year-old man shot in Humboldt Park
* Family sues Six Flags over ‘savage’ attack during Fright Fest
* Crash involving hazardous materials in McKinley Park hospitalizes 4
* Judge orders memorabilia huckster held in jail
* Zach LaVine gets the thumbs up and has first contact practice in LA
* Round Lake Park police investigate death of seven-week old baby girl

* Report: Rep. John Conyers settled complaint over sexual conduct
* Federal judge permanently blocks Trump's executive order to cut funding to sanctuary cities
* Air Force pilot dead, another injured after plane crash in Texas
* Jana Novotna, remembered for tears of sadness and then joy at Wimbledon, dies at 49
* Trump says U.S. will declare North Korea a state sponsor of terror
* Police: 1 man killed in Palos Heights shooting
* 1 killed, dozens injured in explosions, fire at upstate New York cosmetics factory
* Police investigating death of 7-week-old girl in Round Lake Park
* A Border Patrol agent is dead in Texas, but the circumstances remain murky
* 1 dead 4 wounded following shootings

» How Chicago’s New Budget Could Affect You In 2018 — And Beyond
» How A Chicago Cop Sentenced To Prison Could Affect The Jason Van Dyke Trial
» Illinois Lawmaker's Plan To Combat Opioid Abuse With Cannabis
» Black Lives Matter Takes On Hunger With New Food Box
» State Week: Are Voters Thinking About 2018?
» Legislative Checklist: Veto Session
» How 3 Women Want To Make Illinois’ Political Future Female
» Illinois Supreme Court Weighing Seizure Of Woman’s Harley
» Illinois Supreme Court Weighing Seizure Of Woman's Harley
» Statehouse Ethical Issues Might Need Outside Oversight, Legislators Say

* Marc A. Thiessen: Trump should make sure Roy Moore drops out
* House task force to review sexual harassment
* Rex Huppke: Moment of reckoning for swinish behavior is here
* George Will: In Illinois, a looming battle over the bankrupting 'blue model'
* Bernard Schoenburg: Ives says Rauner joined 'ruling class' he was to fight
* Statehouse Insider: Republican primary for governor underway
* Doubek: For harassment and beyond, Springfield needs stronger accountability
* Jim Dixon: It is time for a fair tax for Illinois
* Our View: It’s time for decision on YWCA block
* Electric cars, better fuel efficiency spell doom for Illinois gas tax

* Carbondale Police car involved in wreck
* Honeywell announces plans to idle Metropolis plant, reduce workforce by 170 positions
* UPDATE: St. Joseph man charged with DUI in I-74 wreck
* Judge denies temporary restraining order to halt Cambria TIF district
* Five at 5: Illinois announces Butkus statue, Missouri games and 4 other stories you should see
* Charles Manson, whose cult slayings horrified world, dies
* At the holidays, HUD's confusing letter telling Cairo residents to move 'immediately' met with frustration
* Boil order issued in Murphysboro
* Union County discussions continue on early retirement incentive plan
* Smith: 'Can't complain about the effort'

* Hoffman Estates starts with victory over Hersey
* Ryan's 2 TD passes enough as Falcons hold off Seahawks 34-31
* Lane Tech leaps past Leyden in fourth quarter
* Report: Rep. Conyers settled complaint over sexual conduct
* McDonald's plans to tear down Des Plaines replica restaurant

* 3 suburban GOP reps provide crucial votes ...
* Panel encourages women to consider careers...
* Congressman: Welcome change at top of cons...
* Geneva Chamber honors Gaines for 40 years ...
* DOJ to ban US lawmakers should Duterte ord...
* US lawmakers to Duterte: 'Sovereignty does...
* Local Congressmen React to the Passage of ...
* Hultgren whishes McHenry County College a ...
* Hultgren and Ruppersberger: Protect infras...
* This RSS feed URL is deprecated

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* Todd Stroger is back....
* Japanese American Service Committee Holds Holiday Delight Festival
* New Laurels To Rest On
* Kyle Kinane at Thalia Hall and more of the best things to do in Chicago this week
* Opioids In The Iditarod
* Lessons from a century of communism
* Di Leo: One Seat in a Hundred - the Alabama Special Election
* Trump's Secret Weapon Against A Free Press
* The Weekend In Chicago Rock
* Illinois House candidate calls for reforms: 'There's no more money; people are leaving'

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* iPhone X 2018 may go dual-SIM, HomePod Delays & more – Pocketnow Daily
* Google working on Swift, support branch found with mysterious Fuchsia OS
* Verizon Wear24 smartwatch resurrected on eBay for just $129.99
* Alcatel Idol 5S down to $200, A30 to $60 from Thanksgiving
* Android Messages updated with Google Wallet cash transfers
* Nokia 2 sales on from today at Amazon and they’re hot
* U.S. Justice Department Files Lawsuit to Block Merger Between AT&T and Time Warner

* White Sox add five to 40-man roster, remove two