Evening results open thread
Tuesday, Nov 4, 2008
Discuss election results as they come in. We’ll have live CBS video soon.
My dad just called from downtown Chicago. As I told you earlier, he’s driving the Obamalac. While I was on the phone with him I heard someone yell, “Hey! You’re Rich Miller’s dad!” He got a kick out of it.
Anyway, chat to your heart’s content. I’ll post some updates soon.
* 12:34 AM - One other thing before I get back to the “real” gig. This post is probably the most disgusting piece of garbage written by an Illinois blogger this year, and that’s really saying something. I guess I’ll just never understand how people can write such crazy-horrible things.
* 12:32 AM - With everything else going on (mainly in the subscriber section and on the phones), I forgot to point out that Congressman Mark Kirk appears to have won by a large margin. Also, Jim Oberweis lost. Again. Will he finally go away?
* 12:29 AM - Cook County Clerk David Orr needs to either fix his system or let someone else have his job…
* 11:29 PM - After seeing some late poll numbers on Sunday, this is about what I figured…
* 10:52 PM - From a press release…
* 10:30 PM - The AP has called it for Peter Roskam. Not sure when. Just noticed it.
* 10:20 PM - From Deutsche Presse…
* 10:02 PM - CBS just called it for Obama.
* 10:02 PM - No surprise: Halvorson declared the winner.
* 9:47 PM - Man, what a blowout so far…
* 9:40 PM - Some of the polling I saw showed that Republicans and downstaters were the most opposed to the constitutional convention. Check out these results from DuPage so far…
* 9:25 PM - Looks like a Halvorson stomp at the moment. 406 of 613 precincts counted, Dem congressional hopeful Debbie Halvorson leads Republican Martin Ozinga 58-35 with 7 for the Greenie.
* 9:18 PM - Only 10 precincts counted, but still funny…
* 9:16 PM - Tribune Twitter: Barack Obama is on the move to Grant Park, with several dozen police cars in tow
* 8:54 PM - Excerpt from a statement by Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. which was sent from an official government [not campaign, a government] e-mail address…
* 8:48 PM - Cook County totals usually come in a flood. Right now, it’s hardly a trickle. From the Cook County Clerk’s website: Precincts Counted: 13 of 2,290 (0.57%)
* 8:31 PM - From Steve Sauerberg’s concession speech…
* 8:07 PM - With 495 of 11,585 precincts reporting (4 percent), the constitutional convention question is running 36% “Yes” and 64% “No.” We’re looking at about a 60,000 vote margin.
* 7:51 PM - According to the exit polling data posted by CNN, Dick Durbin won every demographic except two: Republicans and conservatives. But, Durbin got 25 percent of the Republican vote and 35 percent of conservatives.
* 7:50 PM - CNN exit polling numbers in the Illinois US Senate race can be found at this link.
* 7:48 PM - According to the CNN exit polling, Obama won white Illinoisans 54-45, he won white independents 55-43. He won 29 percent of conservatives. McCain won among white men 50-48.
* 7:45 PM - CNN has released Illinois exit polling for the presidential race. Click here.
* 7:33 PM - The only congressional results we’re getting so far is the Foster vs. Oberweis race. 29,367 for the Democrat Foster, and 18,001 for Oberweis.
* 7:19 PM - From the Chicago Board of Elections…
* 7:17 PM - Links to live results, radio broadcasts, and individual election authorities are in the pulldown menu on the upper right side of the page.
* 7:01 PM - The polls closed at 7 o’clock, and the networks have called Illinois for Obama. Not exactly a surprise. New Hampshire was also called for Obama.
* 6:58 PM - The CBS 2 banner on the right gets you live election coverage. Click it, or just click here.