Quinn sworn in *** Granberg likely out at IDNR; Parks, historical sites to reopen; Pontiac, IDOT moves to be “reviewed” *** Blagojevich security pulled ***
Thursday, Jan 29, 2009
* 5:42 pm - Taking the oath now. All constitutional officers are present. Speaker Madigan and Leader Cross are also present.
“The ordeal is over.”
“My parents taught me that everyone can be great because everyone can serve.”
Lots of applause lines.
“Together we can” is the phrase Quinn used to symbolize the future.
* 6:01 pm - Gov. Quinn is holding a press conference right now.
Meanwhile, former Gov. Blagojevich will speak to the media at 6:05 pm. The guy can’t let go…
“We don’t really know the real size of the deficit.”
Move the budget address from Feb 18 to March 18.
“I think the governor has to level with the people of Illinois. That’s what they want.”
Avoid income tax increase? “We’re going to have to take a look at what the damage is.”
No staff announcements for a week or so.
Going to governor’s mansion tonight for dinner. “I look forward to living in the governor’s mansion. It is the peoples’ house.” “I think our governor’s mansion is going to get a good workout this year.”
“What we’ve seen in the last 50 days is something that’s in the rearview mirror.”
* 6:11 pm - Citizen Blagojevich: Not surprised but saddened
Back to Quinn: “I’m an organizer. Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and organize.”
Pontiac closure and the IDOT transfers to southern Illinois to be “reviewed.”
* Asked about the late appointment of former Rep. Kurt Granberg to run IDNR, Quinn said: “I believe there should be a natural resources professional at the Department of Natural Resources. I’ve said that for 6 years.”
* Quinn: “We need a humble governor who’s proud of our people.”
* Blagojevich: “Will fight to clear my name’”
* Quinn: April 15th is not my favorite day. Never will be. But price of living in a democracy is taxes.
* Quinn: Pulled Blagojevich’s state police security team. Quinn said he did say that he spoke with the Chicago police about making sure they had adequate protection.
* 21st Century capital plan that invests in sustainability. If we’re building a road, we should have trenches along the road for fiber optics.
* Historical governor to model administration on? Altgeld. (For those playing along at home, Google: Haymarket Square pardon)
* Quinn was asked about his past support of Gov. Blagojevich. He pointed to his strong support of recall, particularly last year. “This may be the moment for recall.”
* 6:30 pm - OK, we’re done. Heading to the Alamo.