Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » 5th CD roundup *** UPDATED w/ SEIU TV AD ***
5th CD roundup *** UPDATED w/ SEIU TV AD ***

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009

* Rep. Fritchey responds to a story we broke yesterday that SEIU will spend $250,000 on TV ads for Rep. Sara Feigenholtz, plus another $24K in phone-banking…

“It’s obvious that [SEIU] thinks this is an election that can be decided by dollars rather than by issues,” Fritchey said. “But it’s the same strategy that they used to elect Rod Blagojevich twice.”

That’s mild compared to the acrimony behind the scenes in this race. It’s pretty intense. Just hang around the comments section here for a tiny taste. And it’s not just the candidates. Unions battling unions is always entertaining theater because labor unions often view themselves as an almost religious entity, so the fights are sanctimonious and brutal.

But what everyone seems to forget in this circular firing squad bloodbath is that the election is over in a week. People will have to go back to working together at the Statehouse, city hall, etc. In some cases, bygones will be bygones. In others, I’m not so sure the wounds will heal in the foreseeable future, considering what’s been happening and the threats I’ve been hearing. Watch for trouble on the labor front, for instance.

* SEIU’s TV ad is up and running today. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m told that it’s a positive ad for Feigenholtz.

*** UPDATE *** Here’s the ad…

* Mike Quigley was on Don & Roma’s show this morning. Listen here. One of the first questions is about Feigenholtz’s weeks-old refusal to acknowledge that she ran a poll which had some negative and false questions about both Quigley and Fritchey. Quigley slammed both Feigenholtz and Fritchey for voting for a sales tax hike to bail out public transit, which is the subject of a recent Quigley mailer…

The full mailer is here.

* Two more unions have split with the Illinois AFL-CIO’s endorsement of Fritchey and are backing Feigenholtz. The United Steelworkers District 7, which represents 40,000 Illinois workers, and the University Professionals of Illinois both announced endorsements within the past 12 hours. UPI is a branch of the Illinois Federation of Teachers, which is a major Fritchey supporter, so that one is quite fascinating…

“At this difficult time in our nation’s history, there is no better qualified or dynamic leader on the issues that UPI cares about than Sara Feigenholtz,” UPI President Sue Kaufman said. “Rep. Feigenholtz’s record of supporting Illinois’ public universities, expanding health care and fighting for the needs of working men and women make her the right candidate at the right time to partner with President Obama in getting our economy back on track.”

* Charlie Wheelan seems to be spending a lot of money on things that nobody watches…

* Berkowitz has interviewed a few of the candidates, and I keep forgetting to link to them…

* John Fritchey
* Tom Geoghegan
* Charles Wheelan

1. - UofCalum - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 11:26 am:

Hey Rich– Can you post Fritchey’s “Hot Dog” mailer?? That one is pretty crazy. Fritchey Supports ketchup on hot dogs, don’t you know. We’ve got important issues to resolve and that man is focused on ketchup. Whatever.

2. - No Name Please - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 11:32 am:

I asked someone at SEIU why the union went with Feigenholtz and got a vague answer that seems like it could have been equally applied to Fritchey, if not Quigley.

With Change to Win splitting from the AFL-CIO, it seems like the Change to Win leadership (SEIU) is eager to draw a distinction with the AFL-CIO. SEIU wants to show it can beat the AFL-CIO just to show it can beat the AFL-CIO.

And Feigenholtz got the endorsement because SEIU thought she was the one that could win that when/if she did win the union could take credit for her winning.

But maybe I’m imagining a drama that’s more complicated than the simple possibility that some union leadership likes Fritchy better and SEIU’s leadership likes Feigenholtz better.

3. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 11:33 am:

As other white guys muddle up this election, the lady is regaining her edge.

4. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 11:37 am:

The level of acrimony among the labor groups has been entertaining and informative.

As an outsider, I can only guess that for them this election is about demonstrating who has the most muscle, because there isn’t a dime’s worth of difference among the major candidates.

5. - Shore - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 11:39 am:

Berkowitz can get a little carried away sometimes (some interviews are more monologueish), but he gets it and his program is pretty good for public access tv.

On the race, as an outsider, I don’t see how Whelan is really distinguishing himself.

6. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 11:42 am:

UofCalum, I posted the mailer the other day.

7. - dr clean - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 11:56 am:

The Wheelan website recently said something about delivering the video to all their supporters. I am wondering if they are going with the Jeff Smith (see: “Can Mr. Smith Still Get to Washington?”) strategy of dropping dvds at the doors of many 5th district residents.

8. - JonShibleyFan - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:09 pm:

Dr. C., No offense to any friends/campaign workers of Jeff Smith’s, but how did that strategy fare in his congressional primary?

VM, what does that mean?

9. - Bill - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:10 pm:

I like the dropping of dvds idea. How cheaply could you make like 15000 copies? I’d pop in a dvd if someone left one on my proch. I also like targeted cable. Regular broadcast tv seems like a big waste of resources. Who cares about Sara F in Hammond Indiana? You are paying for a lot a ratings points that are meaningless.

10. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:12 pm:

Rich -

I agree that the UPI endorsement is fascinating. I’m not really sure what it portends. This may have also changed today, but I still haven’t seen a contribution from the IFT/AFT in any of Fritchey’s FEC filings. Are educators hedging their bets because Feigenholtz is a frontrunner? Because Fritchey voted for private school tuition tax credits? Or is it something else?

I do find it interesting that UPI is one of the few unions with a woman president. Feigenholtz and Fritchey have virtually identical labor voting records, but the mostly-male AFL-CIO decided to go all in with Fritchey.

They might regret that decision if Feigenholtz wins. Especially every time Jerry Morrison says “I told you so.”

But they’re going to regret it even more if Quigley wins narrowly over Feigenholtz and Fritchey finishes a distant third. Because Mike Quigley cares much more about what the 13 members of the Tribune editorial board think than the one million union members in Illinois.

If I were the AFL-CIO, I’d be spending all of my time, money and resources on the ground and in the air talking about Quigley: how he cut health care, opposes repealing the Bush tax cuts, etc.

Either a Fritchey or Feigenholtz win is something organized labor can live with.

11. - Northside Truth Squad - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:21 pm:

=== It’s obvious that [SEIU] thinks this is an election that can be decided by dollars rather than by issues,” Fritchey said. ===

SEIU IL — $500.00 — 8/26/2002 — Friends of John Fritchey
    SEIU IL — $250.00 — 7/15/2003 — Friends of John Fritchey
    SEIU IL — $300.00 — 8/25/2005 — Friends of John Fritchey
    SEIU IL — $1,000.00 — 10/23/2006 — Friends of John Fritchey
    SEIU IL — $750.00 — 9/27/2008 — Friends of John Fritchey
    SEIU — $500.00 — 9/18/1998 — Friends of John Fritchey
    SEIU — $500.00 — 10/3/2004 — Friends of John Fritchey
    SEIU Local 880 — $500.00 — 10/4/2008 — Friends of John Fritchey

12. - Just saying - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:29 pm:

YDD,

You might want to check your filings again. The AFT did indeed contribute to Fritchey.

13. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:35 pm:

Thanks Just saying…I stand corrected.

It was on one of the 48 hour filings that came in BEFORE the pre-election report.

I saw the Cook County Colleges refund on the pre-election report, and was wondering what was up.

14. - Bill - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:35 pm:

==But they’re going to regret it even more if Quigley wins narrowly over Feigenholtz and Fritchey finishes a distant third.==

You have got a really warped view of the race. I keep telling you, you gotta get out in the neighborhoods, the real neighborhoods, not Lincoln Park.
    If Quigley wins, which is a distinct possibility at this point, it will be with the votes that the quiche eaters think that they have all wrapped up for Sara and watch out for O’Connor, just sayin’.
    For her to have a chance, she’s gonna need at least another quarter mil from SEIU, her own, and some from NOW and Emily’s. She’s fading fast, my friend.
    Unfortunately for her, her latest “labor” endorsements are meaningless in the district in terms of members or money and she doesn’t have many more favors to call in.
    Seven days left!

15. - Emily LeTilla - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:37 pm:

Pardon me if this question shows my ignorance of IE rules, but…

How can SEIU use photographs of Sara that are clearly posed shots? Did she make time for SEIU’s photographers or did she provide the photos? If so, isn’t that coordinating with the candidate?

I’ve been trying very hard to stay out of this pie fight. I’m a Fritchey supporter who happens to like most of the candidates running and will be perfecty content with whomever wins the nomination.

But seriously, how can SEIU claim this ad wasn’t coordinated with the candidate when it sure looks like the production had help from Sara’s campaign?

16. - Bill - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:40 pm:

Emily, I brought that up yesterday and was called a racist.

17. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:42 pm:

FTR, I’m Emily. Forgot to change the screen name from yesterday…

18. - Ghost - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:51 pm:

The labor unions have gone from the days of bussing neighborhoods to the polls to tossing money ou for ads.

I think in a race like this the old way is better.

19. - babs - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:53 pm:

Just counted, received 35 pieces of mail so far from Fritchey, Sara, Quigley, Bryar, Geoghegan, and Forys.

20. - Chipolcon - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 12:56 pm:

Hey Bill, I’m not sure if you are a racist but you certainly know very little about campaigns, especially federal campaigns. Those stills of Sarah could have been bought from a vendor that has has them in a file or more likely are from the photo shoot Emily’s List did for their IE. Organizations runnning IE’s are allowed to coordinate their activities. If you need any other election laws explained just shout out Brother. I’m here for you.

21. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:00 pm:

Bill -

My “really warped view of this race” isn’t based on counting yard signs. Burt Natarus counted signs, while Reilly didn’t even have any.

The fact that both David Axelrod (for Feigenholtz) and SEIU are maintaining a targeted positive message tells me that they’re polling tells them that Feigenholtz is in the lead.

I also don’t think Feigenholtz would have taken out a $100,000 loan if she wasn’t pretty confident in her polling numbers.

You may be right, and I MAY be totally wrong. But you MIGHT want to take a look at your latest tracking polls for Fritchey and make sure.

And if Feigenholtz’s labor record is just as good as Fritchey’s, organized labor MIGHT want to ask Fritchey why he’s spending all of his energy attacking her, instead of Quigley, who started ahead of the pack at the beginning of this race.

If Feigenholtz loses, life goes on for me. But if Quigley wins, that DOES put organized labor in a tight spot, because you know I’m 100% right that he cares more about the Tribune editorial board than the AFL-CIO.

22. - The 'Broken Heart' of Rogers Park - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:04 pm:

Rich, What’s a 3 minute 8 second animated commercial cost on network television?

And how many points are behind it?

23. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:08 pm:

That ain’t on TV. Just the interwebtubes thingy.

24. - lake county democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:09 pm:

That there would be burning acrimony in this election is kind of obscene given how little difference there would be in the, you know, actual voting record of the leading candidates. I’m a bit like Emily — I’d give Fritchey the nod because of a bit more of an independent streak/fresh thinker, but overall this is a pretty impressive lot.

25. - Chanson - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:25 pm:

I used to care less about folks elected from Cook and surrounding counties; but since Blago was sent down the pipeline, it scares the hell out of me. I can only hope that Obama and company is an exception to The Chicago Way.

26. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:27 pm:

YDD, I assume you didn’t mean David Axelrod, but instead the firm formerly known as AKPD.

At least I certainly hope that David isn’t wasting his time on the outcome of the 5th CD.

27. - Obamas' Puppy - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:35 pm:

Rich,
    Do you know who is doing the Wheeler advertising?

28. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:42 pm:

Wheelan media = Bill Hillsman

29. - Pete Giangreco - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 1:49 pm:

Bill-

I think your theory will be proven wrong if Feigenholtz goes negative on TV. If that happens you can bet the house her own polling has her trailing — and not by a little, by a lot. No one goes negative when they are tied or have a lead and more money in a multi-candidate primary.

30. - Chipolcon - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:07 pm:

If Sarah were to go comparative there is another plausible explanantion other than the one offered by the esteemed Mr. Giangreco. It could be that the race is quite tight but little else can be accomplished with additional positive ads, spo Sarah could go two-trach. One ad with substantial points behind it would remain positive while a second ad is comparative. This would allow Sarah, theoretically, to maintain her position with the positives and take some vote away from Quigley with her comparative. If the candidates appear to be reaching a vote ceiling this is a perfectly reasonable strategy.

31. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:13 pm:

Well said, Pete.

Watch what the campaigns are doing, not what they are saying, and you can tell who’s winning and who’s behind.

Quigley’s direct mail attacks on Feigenholtz AND Fritchey as well as the Stroger Strawman hint that he’s still not much better off than when he started this race at 20%, and probably behind one candidate and losing momentum to the other.

If, on the otherhand, Feigenholtz goes negative, it would mean that her target has probably gained the lead.

I predicted (wrongly) that SEIU would do a contrast ad between Feigenholtz and Quigley because I thought Quigley might still have a slight edge in the polls. Apparently i was wrong, and Feigenholtz is ahead.

32. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:15 pm:

Chipolcon - good point, but with as many undecides as there were when this race started, I don’t think there is a ceiling.

33. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:15 pm:

34. - Pete Giangreco - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:17 pm:

Chipolcon you should run your theory by Jerry. I think he would tell you that if a candidate hits a vote ceiling after only a few hundred GRPs of TV (which for all her money is all Sara has run so far) that candidate is dead woman walking.

35. - Chipolcon - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:23 pm:

I am merely speculating. I find it hard to believe that any of the candidates are at a vote cieling either, but the fact remains, if you have the money a two-track media strategy is a good one. It certainly is no indication that your candidate is behind. Would you have argued that Barack Obama was behind when his campaign ran comparative ads against John McCain? If you have the resources to go two-track it is a smart move with little political risk.

36. - Chipolcon - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:24 pm:

ceiling

37. - Chipolcon - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:26 pm:

Did anyone see that $1,000 contribution from Morrison on the Feigenholtz report. I wonder if other SEIU officials will be throwing in for her?

38. - The 'Broken Heart' of Rogers Park - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:33 pm:

Let’s get back to “Capt. Bright Knight” for 3 minutes and 6 seconds. You think this economic super-hero would play well with the Saturday morning crowd? Cause I really dig the character who plays Rahm Emanuel. Nice role model.

39. - ComiskeyVille - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:38 pm:

Question: Is it fair to assume that anyone that supports Sara has never heard her speak? The moment she opens her mouth, she has to lose a thousand votes. How could any union get behind her? I’m sorry, but I just don’t see it with her. There are too many good candidates in this race to waste a vote on Ms. Feigenholtz.

40. - ElectMike - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:47 pm:

With all of this talk about campaign reform why does the media only concentrate on those with the biggest war chests. Seems like a case of being biased and hypocritical by the media to me. I think money is not as important in this race as usual.

41. - UofCalum - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:49 pm:

Rich- Did you post the hot dog ad on the subscribers only section? I didn’t see it on the open blog.

42. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 2:51 pm:

====why does the media only concentrate on those with the biggest war chests===

That’s not necessarily the case. O’Connor has a tiny war chest and he gets more coverage than the other.

The biggest reason the top tier gets the coverage it does is because those candidates have shown that they’ve put together real campaigns. Meaning, ground, money, mail, TV, GOTV, etc.

43. - Tom - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:10 pm:

Rich - === Why does media only concentrate====

Bryar seems to have put together a real campaign - tv, mail, ground - and if you include the ie, he will have spent more $ than Quigley. Do you think his not a politician message will stick?

44. - Pete Giangreco - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:13 pm:

$1,000? That’s amazing. Jerry rarely gives personal money, even against anti-union, anti-immigrant Republicans like Oberweis. He just spends Tom’s money.

He must really hate Fritchey, aye Chipol?

45. - There's the rub - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:16 pm:

Jerry must really hate Fritchey

46. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:26 pm:

=== Or, YDD, you can look at it this way: Quigley’s negative mail is an attempt to keep Sara and John from rising in the polls. ===

Could be, Rich, except attacking someone that voters have never heard of rarely works. If voters RECOGNIZE the names Fritchey or Feigenholtz, they’ve probably already RISEN in the polls.

Quigley’s mail could also be just a really expensive attempt to get under their skin, or a way for his direct mail consultant to collect fees.

I do find it ironic that the supposedly GREENEST candidate sent me an e-mail today bragging that they’ve shoved four times as much paper in people’s mailboxes.

Anyone know if Quigley is printing on recycled paper?

47. - Laborgoy - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:27 pm:

Hey Rub,

It is ironic that you would mention Hot Rod and Fritchey in the same sentence since so many political leaders say that John Fritchey is a Rod Blagojevich in the making.

48. - Pete Giangreco - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:35 pm:

Recycled paper, soy ink.

And Quigley drives a Prius and authored every meaningful piece of county legislation.

YDD says some silly things in here sometimes but questioning Quigley’s enviro cred is among the dumber ones. Must be a lobbyist for some polluter.

49. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:36 pm:

=== Gee I wonder why. Wouldn’t have anything to do with John standing up to Jerry’s pal Rod would it? Nah. ===

Pete -

I imagine if you ask John or Jerry, they would tell you. But I don’t think it has anything to do with Rod.

Knowing how folks in politics can be, I’m betting that what started as a small disagreement became a heated discussion, followed by a screaming match, and ended with someone saying “Go —– yourself!!”

Personally, I think it was a mistake for Fritchey to attack SEIU today. He may have just turned a $250,000 ad buy into a $500,000 ad buy. Prior to that comment, I would have said he was well positioned to run for County Board President or Attorney General if Congress didn’t work out.

Urinating on SEIU in a way that makes it very personal is not a good long-term political strategy. Besides, in 2010 when Repbulicans accuse every Democrat supported by SEIU of exactly the same thing, they’re just going to refer reporters to Fritchey’s quote.

But hey, what do I know. That’s why Eric Adelstein is in charge of Fritchey’s communications.

50. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:36 pm:

Laborgoy, please use only one screen name here during a single day. That’s a potentially bannable offense.

51. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 3:52 pm:

Pete -

Thanks! I figured that Quigley was using recycled paper and I’m glad you confirmed it, but still, bragging about sending the most mail seems very un-Green, even if it is recycled.

And I would expect that a County Commissioner like Quigley who talks about the importance of public transit so much — to the point of criticizing Obama’s stimulus plan for not spending enough on mass transit — would lead by example and take public transit every day. I’m sorry American-made cars aren’t good enough for him.

And unless I’m mistaken, you spent much of the last few years working for Rod Blagojevich. I don’t think that puts you in much of a position to question anyone else’s employer.

As for this:

=== authored every meaningful piece of county legislation ===

No offense, but that’s not saying much. “Authoring” legislation and “passing” legislation are two different things.

If Quigley’s done such a great job, why is Cook County still a mess? And if we all recognize that Cook County is still a mess, why is Mike Quigley abandoning the job he promised he’d serve in when he campaigned to be County Commissioner in 2006? Doesn’t he owe the people who elected him in 2006 anything?

52. - ElectMike - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 4:15 pm:

Rich, OK maybe O’Connor is an exception with his budget but he is also a sitting elected official. He does not seem to be much of a player in this anyway. Didn’t he lose twice as State’s Attorney or County? I think the little guys are working just as hard and being ignored. That’s my take. Who’s going to be in the debate on WIND at midnight Thursday?

53. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 4:20 pm:

YDD,

I shouldn’t try to speak for Pete, but I believe he was referring the Quigley sponsoring every meaningful piece of Environmental legislation in Cook County, most of which passed thanks to his leadership. I happened to have the chance to work with Quigley on several issues with regard to the Forest Preserve District. He was one of the few commissioners who truly understood the importance of the FPD and fully embraced its mission.

Aces on the green issues, no question.

54. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 4:45 pm:

47th Ward -

I’ll give Quigley credit for that…he has been an environmental leader on the Cook County Board.

I know, for example, that he championed efforts to make the windows on Cook County’s buildings bird-safe, protecting the lives of countless migratory birds that sometimes call Cook County home.

Feigenholtz, on the otherhand:

- expanded Illinois’ FamilyCare program to cover an additional 200,000 Illinoisans;
    - Led efforts to make Illinois the first state to ban the dangerous over-the-counter drug ephedra, when the FDA refused to act;
    - Required Illinois insurance companies to cover mammograms for women 40 and over, and banned insurance companies from excluding birth control pills from their coverage;
    - Increased access to independent living programs, which allow seniors to remain in their homes and independent for as long as possible;
    -Reformed Illinois adoption laws, making them the strongest in the country.

55. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 4:49 pm:

47th Ward:

One week Quigley’s attacking Obama’s economic stimulus plan for not spending enough on mass transit.

This week he’s attacking Feigenholtz and Fritchey for voting in favor of a bipartisan plan to increase funding for mass transit.

The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

And how can Mike Quigley call himself “green” when he’s attacking other Democrats for funding mass transit?

56. - ElectMike - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 5:00 pm:

Capparelli did a nice color mailer inserted in Fin de Semana over the weekend. He is to announce another solid endorsement maybe tomorrow.

57. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 5:03 pm:

YDD,

Did I not mention I was a Fritchey supporter?

By all means, feel free to attack whomever you wish. I happen to like and admire most of the Democrats running in the 5th, so I’ll be happy with whomever wins. I’ll also be glad when it’s over.

58. - Bill - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 5:07 pm:

Wow, the great Giangreco, YDD, IP, and all the other experts don’t give Fritchey a chance…and of course, Quigs has been behind all along and Sara is the front runner. Even that cheapskate Jerry kicks in a grand, not because his girl needs it just because he’s a nice guy. If her ad is positive that must mean she is going to win especially since she went to Franklin Park. That must have really been a culture shock for her.
    I guess, mike, john, and Pat should just throw in the towel.
    By the way, how do all you staffers keep from tripping over each other?
    Go cubs go. Hey Chicago waddya say, the cubs are gonna suck today.

59. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 5:21 pm:

47th Ward -

I WAS a Quigley supporter when he ran for County Board President, but if he wants to send out a mailpiece asking:

Who helped Todd Stroger make Chicago’s sales tax the highest in the nation?

then Mike Quigley should take a long, hard look in the mirror before pointing the finger at Fritchey or Feigenholtz.

It was Quigley who worked to get Stroger elected County Board President, believing he could “manage” Todd if he helped get him elected.

Quigley’s attacks are intellectually dishonest, at the very least.

60. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 5:44 pm:

YDD,

If you’re seeking intellectual honesty from any candidate’s political advertising, then I suspect your quest will be utterly frustrating for you.

But we can dream, can’t we? Like maybe this is really a meritocracy and not a democratic republic. That would be cool, wouldn’t it?

Intellectual dishonesty? From a politician? The horror…

61. - Ditto - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 6:02 pm:

YDD - where did Pete Giangreco go? It’s funny how all the Quigley peeps disappear from the blog everytime someone asks them why Q endorsed Stroger, voted for his budget, gave stroger campaign staff, etc. Hmm. I guess they don’t want to talk about that.

62. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 6:41 pm:

FWIW, Fritchey drives a Cadillac not a Jaguar.

63. - Anon - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 6:45 pm:

Quick! Someone tell the UAW to reconsider!

64. - Pete Giangreco - Tuesday, Feb 24, 09 @ 9:32 pm:

I’m here Ditto and you know that answer. Quigley opposed anti-choice pro-gun wing nut Tony Peraica. Is that who you voted for?

You and John Fritchey can spin yourselves silly, but voters have watched Quigley take on the Strogers for 10 years. See when you demonstrate courage and actually do the right thing, you don’t have to answer charges from posers. Voters can see that with their own eyes. So bather away.

* Janus apparently no longer loves his state job, hires on with Illinois Policy Institute
* Pritzker meets with moms who've lost their kids to street violence, police shootings
* Caption contest!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Campaign stuff: Morrison; Ives; Skillicorn; Nybo; Rooney; Curran; Breen; Frese
* "And admit that the waters/Around you have grown"
* A tiny bit of good news from Moody's
* Proft files suit so his independent expenditure committee can coordinate with campaigns after caps busted
* Cook shifts governor's race from "Toss Up" to "Lean Democrat" - Third-party candidates "the tipping point"
* Unsolicited advice
* The impasse and the damage done
* Entire IPHCA executive committee resigns, lawyer let go after racism controversy
* Chicago to get its first public law school, but is it a wise move?
* Doom and gloom abounds, but a new pension idea emerges
* Another lawsuit filed in Quincy veterans' home deaths: "For a year and a half, he loved that place. And it killed him"
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* SVM EDITORIAL: Term limits: Beware of unintende.....
* McDaniel-Hale: The decision to smoke is a perso.....
* In Bellwood, Fritz Kaegi Blasts 'Machine Po.....
* Barickman Cautious About Trump Impact on IL Ele.....
* Democrats try to rebuild the state party from t.....
* New law better protects DCFS workers..
* Illinois Makes Its IT Department a Permanent Fi.....
* Dyslexia guidebook bill signed into law..
* Naperville Now 07-20-18..
* Is Pritzker the beginning of the end for Madigan?..

* EXCHANGE: A family has deep roots in baseball and softball
* EXCHANGE: For 122 years, observatory has demystified the sky
* Northern Illinois man convicted of murdering sister-in-law
* Man cleared of murder has trouble depositing compensation
* UI seeks to improve access for transfer students
* Watch cop revive man during fentanyl scare at Illinois strip club
* AP FACT CHECK: Kansas not the ‘sanctuary state’ of Midwest
* Woman injured by lightning strike at Country Thunder
* UI seeks improving access for transfer students
* Cases handled by indicted 2 Chicago officers being dropped

* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Incumbents hold big fundraising leads in central Illinois legislative races
* Springfield man wins Illinois State Police logo contest
* Rauner 'deeply troubled' by Trump's Helsinki comments
* Rauner signs bill to ease physician assistant hiring
* Bill taking Illinois out of voter registration system vetoed

* Home Run Pizza CEO dies
* Home Run Inn Pizza CEO dies
* Your neighbor isn't a business
* The future of the U.S. looks a lot like Chicago
* Cook County board moves to prevent repeat of pop tax fiasco

* Man, 25, shot in Gresham
* Police: Man dies in fatal car crash in Washington Park
* 1 killed, 6 wounded Friday in city gun violence
* Man in critical condition in West Garfield Park shooting
* Man, 34, in critical condition in Humboldt Park shooting
* Unpublished notes from ’94 meeting with Mandela donated to Northwestern library
* James Shields sharp, but Sox’ offense fails to deliver in loss to Mariners
* Girl found, returned to family after going missing from McKinley Park
* Dear Abby: Don’t linger in store when we’re trying to close
* Horoscope for July 21, 2018

* White Sox strike early but can't solve Wade LeBlanc in 3-1 loss to Mariners
* Fan who survived heart attack at Wrigley Field returning to thank Cubs employee who helped him
* Democratic socialism surging in the age of Trump
* Pelosi: Putin isn't welcome in Congress
* Manny Machado shines in Dodgers debut as LA beats Brewers 6-4
* Sanders and new Democratic star Ocasio-Cortez wade into GOP-heavy Kansas
* Ticket mix-up put family on ill-fated Missouri tourist boat; vigils held for 17 dead
* GOP senators cave to Trump, drop attempt to punish telecom giant ZTE
* Danny Trevathan and Roquan Smith miss Bears’ first ‘slop-fest’ practice
* Residents begin to rebuild in Iowa after tornadoes injure 17

» The Week in Review: Public Outcry Over Police-Involved Shooting
» ‘Ali: A Life’; Sexual Harassment In Bars; NPR’s Sam Sanders
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: July 20, 2018
» UIC To Acquire John Marshall Law School, Creating The City’s First Public Law School
» State Week: Russia Reactions, Gun Laws, Campaign Cash
» #660 PJ Morton & Opinions on Drake
» July 19, 2018 - Full Show
» Berwyn Homeowners Squeezed By School District Miscalculation
» How Conservatism Won In Wisconsin; Illinois Election Security; Special Olympics 50th Anniversary
» Illinois Prison Officials Accused of Abusing Transgender Inmate

* Scott Reeder: Understanding is what journalism should be about
* Counterpoint: His pick is bad news indeed for health care, women, consumers and unions
* Point: Kavanaugh is truly a 'judge's judge' and precisely what our nation needs
* Eugene Robinson: The 'deep state' stands between us and the abyss
* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Bernard Schoenburg: Bourne, Clark clash over missed votes

* Eureka Library expands genealogy, history resources
* Births for Saturday, July 21, 2018
* Carolene Powenski
* Mary Imhoff
* Wayne Rex Linck
* Doris Rose Heiple
* SIUC to host observation of Mars, which is at its closest, brightest in 15 years
* Illinois Lottery drawing for FRIDAY, JULY 20
* Now showing: Blue Grass Drive-In Theater braces for first-ever RAGBRAI event
* PHOTOS: Relay For Life at Richland Community College

* Cespedes returns, Familia may depart and Mets beat Yanks 7-5
* Indians get a Hand when new relievers join them after break
* Firefighters: Minimal chemical involvement in Elgin water treatment facility blaze
* Keuchel's no-hit bid ends in 7th on nearly-caught liner
* Price, Red Sox win again by blanking Tigers 1-0

* Illinois Department of Public Health Conti...
* 7-year-old Matteson girl goes to Washingto...
* Why Joe Crowley's Loss Could Be Good N...
* What we know about Russia's election h...
* Ernst: President Trump 'not upholding ...
* House Democrats Reveal 2018's Slogan: ...
* House Dems, with Bustos' help, unveil ...
* Limbaugh laughs at Dems' midterm motto...
* Democrats Announce New Slogan for Midterms...
* 'For the People': House Democrats&...

* How area members of Congress voted on voti......
* Family reunifications: 450 down, roughly 1......
* Ballot security battle heats up already ho......
* In IL-6, Roskam and Casten clash over elec......
* GOP accuses Dems of stalling Kavanaugh aft......

* Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez B......
* How area members of Congress voted on voti......
* Will Route 66 become a National Historic T......
* Tammy Duckworth Wishes She Wasn'......
* Alton Fire Department awarded $227273 grant...

* The sad state of the sandwich at Logan Square deli Rosie’s Sidekick
* Rahm and Rauner's phony Ryan feud: Don’t be fooled by the Twitter barbs
* There’s always an issue we can quarrel over with regards to city street names
* Lies, Damned Lies and Rankings
* 5 things every college must know about cloud computing
* Accreditor clears path for $1.9 billion Strayer-Capella merger
* EdX Survey Finds That about 1/3 of Americans Ages 25 – 44 Have Completely Changed Fields Since Starting Their First Job Post-College
* Creatively nudging faculty members to expand use of immersive technology
* Making Learning Without Borders a Reality
* Weiss Hospital To Get New Owner

* IDPH Investigation Continues As Foodborne Illnesses Increase
* Gov. Rauner signs HB 5611
* Summit for Success: IDOT providing tools, opportunity for disadvantaged businesses
* Illinois Payrolls Jump +18,100
* Liquor Control Commission Underage Compliance Report for Cook County

* OxygenOS 5.0.4 for OnePlus 3/3T brings July security patch and camera improvements
* Designers, don’t be afraid to let robots design
* Pocket Nightcap: Buy the damn MacBook Pro (stick with me here)
* Xiaomi: 5 things you didn’t know about the Apple of the East
* The Galaxy Note 9 leak you need to know what to expect
* Reward yourself this summer with the ultimate wireless earbuds — now 55% off
* FCC now accepting your petitions on whether T-Mobile - Sprint merger should go through

* Shields outdueled in stellar night on mound
* Mariners beat White Sox, get back on winning track
* Mariners 3, White Sox 1: New half, same loss
* Mariners 3, White Sox 1: New half, same loss
* Abreu happy to talk about ASG, not rumors
* Servais, Mariners living the dream as White Sox season a nig...
* LeBlanc, relievers shut down White Sox in Mariners' 3-1 win