Capitol - Your Illinois News Radar » Everything you always wanted to know about me but were afraid to ask
Everything you always wanted to know about me but were afraid to ask

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010

* I knew instantly when that bartender offered me a Jameson’s and soda before I said a single word that Kevin McDermott had his lede. Sure enough

It’s a rainy December evening, and Rich Miller is still keyed up over the day’s top story when he arrives at the small, dark bar at Maldaner’s Restaurant in downtown Springfield. The founder, publisher, editor and sole reporter for the Capitol Fax political newsletter rejects the Jameson’s-and-soda that the bartender automatically offers. “Too early,’’ Miller declares — and he orders a Guinness instead.

Not that I blame Kevin. I would’ve used it, too.

And if you ever wondered where I am while I’m blogging…

The house is a spacious, immaculate structure full of collected art, antiques and political paraphernalia. A 30-acre nature preserve borders one side of the property; on the other is Lake Springfield.

There are views everywhere, except from the small, cluttered corner office on the second floor from which Capitol Fax is produced on a widescreen Mac monitor. Miller’s view is mainly of the William Crook Jr. drawing of the state Capitol that hangs over his desk. “I like it that way. If you’ve got a view, you get distracted by the damned view.’’

Hey, I actually cleaned my office before I let him into my house. Cluttered? I’m glad I didn’t let Kevin come by before I cleaned. Oh, man, the description would’ve been brutal.

Also, I have one of the smaller homes in my neighborhood. Yes, it’s a great ‘hood. No doubt. And, yes, it’s a nice home, but it’s no mansion.

This really is my day…

If the legislature is in session, he’ll drive to the Capitol by midafternoon and stop by a series of what he calls “watering holes.’’

“It’s like hunting — you know, you go to a watering hole, and you wait for the animals to come to you. You don’t go out in the middle of the desert searching for animals.’’ The watering holes include the brass rail outside the House and Senate chambers, certain hallways, certain lawmakers’ offices, “the little nooks and crannies of the Capitol.’’ And, later, the bars.

Todd knows me better than most…

Yep. He’s right.

More from Todd…

To Miller’s fans, that kind of no-holds-barred, total-immersion reporting is what makes Capitol Fax urgent reading. “He’s different from you others in the mainstream media,’’ says Vandermyde, the lobbyist. “He actually spends time mixing and mingling with the politicos. He doesn’t just come in for the issue du jour.’’

Of course, Kevin goes on to overestimate my income, but he’s not alone. Just so you know, it’s not even close to what he or others think. And “$175,000 over the past decade” equals $17,500 a year. I don’t charge nearly enough.

I’ll let you in on a little secret: I’ve always wanted to be on the cover of Illinois Issues. That’s why I agreed to do this interview. Kevin is a heckuva writer, so I thought he could make my dream come true. The story came out pretty much as I figured. Kevin did a great job. But, alas, I didn’t make the cover. I’m not exactly photogenic, so some pension story fronted the mag.

Oh, well. Maybe when I die.

1. - The REAL Anonymous...fka Anonymous - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 4:00 am:

It’s a great story, Rich, about a really good guy. And you should be able to make any cover with that photo. It’s a very good one!

2. - Das Man - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 5:29 am:

Late to bed,
    Early to rise
    Makes a CapFax reader
    Bleary eyed

3. - Quinn T. Sential - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 5:45 am:

Congratulations on some well desrved recognition. You provide an extraordinary service, at an exceptional price, which translates into a great value. This was also insightful for the benefit of those (perhaps few) of us that visit here regularly, that don’t know you, and have never met or laid eyes on you before.

I do think there are some ways that you could expand and improve some of what is offered, and as a result both, justify and charge additional revenue. Implementing some of those ideas however would necessitate the burdensome aspects of operating a more expansive business enterprise which could hinder your entrepeneurial spirit, and certainly diminish some of your effectiveness if you had to attend to that yourself.

Given the foundation you have laid already; if I were you, (here comes the unsolicited advice) I would raise some venture capital money (from outside the state of Illinois) to enhance and expand the enterprise, and let them provide the business manager, and retain you under a long term contract that provides you with free reign to explore ancillary business services, while retaining editorial content control. Also, they should allow you input into additional staff and succession planning that would give you comfort in knowing that if something unfortunate were occur to you, your enterprise would perpetuate for the benefit of the next of kin (and selfishly the rest of us), wihout having to hope that the interns can and would carry the baton for the benefit of your family.

Like many great entrepeneurs, I am concerned that what you could have neglected a critical part in the original business plan that may have been sketched out
    (if at all) on the back of a bar napkin somewhere, which is a succession plan, or an exit strategy.

At some point; some day, you may need or want a way out. Given the apparent direction of the journalism field and the advancement of technology in ways that make it harder to protect and enforce intellectual property rights, that could become more challenging as time marches on.

Now, to the article, I do have to take some exception to the commentary that:

“[Miller] is not an ideologue for any cause,he just has no patience for stupidity in government.’’

These two characteristics are mutually exclusive, by their very nature. What defines stupid government is in the eyes of the beholder, and as such what one believes to be stupid, another may perceive as desirable or necessary.

Advocacy for changes in government based on perceived stupidity, could automatically qualify one as an ideologue, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

As a matter of fact, that is one of the things that make your site and service attractive. People appreciate your insight and perspective,on policy issues and process, even though they may not always agree. Your readers get the benefit of that perspective; for the most part, without outward advocacy for or against individuals that agree, or disagree with your perspective, which is markedly different from most political sites.

For the most part; you handle the disagreement of issues with some measure of diplomacy, unless of course you are operating in what appears to be either sleep deprivation, or caffeine overload mode, either one of which results in the short but effective “bite me” rebuttal, which in many cases (even my own) may be well desrved.

Hopefully you’ll take this as it is sincerely intended; and I won’t end up on the receiving end of a “bite me” to start my day, but rest assured, I have had worse wake up calls, so I am somewhat bullet proof in that regard, and won’t take it personally.

4. - You Go Boy - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 6:12 am:

Good for you, Rich. To thine own self be true - plus you don’t have that heavy mortgage, tax, insurance…..Think Thoreau (when angryf at the pond)

5. - soccermom - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 6:50 am:

“Wanna see my picture on the cover
    “Wanna buy five copies for my mother
    “Wanna see my smilin’ face
    “On the cover of the Illinois Issues….”

6. - Give Me A Break - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 7:44 am:

Rich: Just please let us all know you are not holding out for an Illinois Issues Centerfold. Please, just confirm that. Please. LOL

7. - Pot calling kettle - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 8:12 am:

Less photogenic than the pension plans? That’s kinda sad. LOL

8. - JonShibleyFan - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 8:15 am:

Great stuff. The one-to-two drink ratio. I’ve watched that unfold from a safe distance and chuckled on a few occasions.

9. - Billy Dennis - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 8:36 am:

There is NOTHING quite like a reporter being the subject of someone’s reporting.

10. - Man at the Lake - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 8:38 am:

Rich, This is really a great story. In your own way, you have made a difference in Springfield. Keep up the good work. You are appreciated.

11. - wordslinger - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 8:46 am:

Cover of Illinois Issues? Dude, reach for the stars: GQ.

12. - Responsa - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 8:53 am:

Farm Boy Makes Good. Geez, Rich, from that article it sounds like you and your wife belong in the 10th district!

In all seriousness, your inherent understanding of what a big, complex, economically and socially diverse state Illinois is, is one of the reasons your political insights are so valuable and unique to your readers. The working reporters who came to the bright lights from out of state and even those who were born and raised in Chicagoland often don’t quite seem to “get” it. With your background, you do.

Congratulations on being the subject of a cool article.

13. - Dana Heupel - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 8:55 am:

Rich: Unfortunately for you, we had Oprah on our January cover, and we figured that two glamorous, wealthy celebrities back to back would just be too much glitz for our normally staid readers to absorb. ;) As you know, timing is everything — maybe next time. Glad you liked the article.

14. - Been There - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 9:06 am:

===Of course, Kevin goes on to overestimate my income, but he’s not alone. Just so you know, it’s not even close to what he or others think===
    Rich, we know how to do the math. You accidentally sent out an “Extra Cap Fax” once and didn’t blind copy when you cc’d. A quick count of email names times what you charge us per year and I think you are doing alright.

15. - Bookworm - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 9:13 am:

– “[Miller] is not an ideologue for any cause,’’ suggests lobbyist Todd Vandermyde. “He just has no patience for stupidity in government.’’ –

Plus, as you told another reporter last year, “I love this state. I love it with everything I have. It’s one of a kind, and I like it that way,”

That’s another reason why you “get it” when other reporters who don’t know this state, or have barely concealed contempt for it, don’t. Keep up the good work!

16. - JonShibleyFan - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 10:07 am:

“You accidentally sent out an “Extra Cap Fax” once and didn’t blind copy when you cc’d. A quick count of email names times what you charge us per year and I think you are doing alright.”

Tsk tsk tsk…you were instructed to delete that email.

17. - Justice - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 10:51 am:

If only we could duplicate you in the other 49 states….! You have an exceptional talent and unique insight that comes with hard work and earned trust. Don’t let up!!

18. - MrJM - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 11:24 am:

Bookmark this page –> Folder:Stalking –> DONE

19. - Screwball - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 11:37 am:

“Everything you always wanted to know about me but were afraid to ask”

I wasn’t afraid to ask, I was afraid of the answers.

20. - Conservative Republican - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 12:41 pm:

You have justly earned praise for your work product but….

of course, you can’t let well enough alone:

Please hold off on your suggestion that you have a simple, commonfolk abode …. a site on Lake Springfield is one of the premiere locations in that town.

Your political druthers and your thin skin are well documented on this site.

21. - Angry Chicagoan - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 12:45 pm:

I would suggest an, ahem, higher volume sales model but who am I to make such a comment? I’ve never paid off a parental loan remotely that fast! And here I find myself actively considering a paid subscription.

Justice has the right basic idea, except that I think Illinois is still a higher priority. We need a duplicate dedicated to Chicagoland local politics — and the quickest way of getting there, I think, is for Rich Miller himself to get the process started by taking a particularly good intern and developing that intern into CapitolFax’s Chicago Bureau. Whether or not it’s the best way, that, of course, is a call for the proprietor. But I live in hope.

22. - KeepSmiling - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 12:49 pm:

Nice article. You should have been featured in Crain’s while you lived here, as a brilliant and successful entrepreneur. I bet they would have put you on the cover — so long as you gave them one of those Obama like poses.

23. - A Citizen - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 1:24 pm:

A shirtless beachcomber Rich would just distract from the beard, hmmm, or would it?

24. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 1:52 pm:

More photogenic when you die?!?

Well, yeah, maybe. :)

Rich Miller, Mike Royko and Steve Neal arrive at The Pearly Gates…

25. - Joe Schmoe - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 2:36 pm:

Hold it. I hope Rich has a few years left….

26. - Amalia - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 2:40 pm:

Rich, how nice for you. and for us to get a window into your
    working world.

27. - DuPage Dan - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 5:41 pm:

What an asset Illinois has in Rich Miller. Although there are many resources for information throughout the state it gets distilled and mulled over here better than any place else. Great job!

28. - Once a Mom, Always a Mom - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 5:46 pm:

Congratulations on the article. We continue to be proud of all 5 of our sons.

29. - scoot - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 6:00 pm:

I enjoyed Kevin’s article…and where would we all be without CapFax!!?? I have been a frequent visitor of the blog since 2003 and I must admit, I need my CapFax daily or I feel lost.

30. - Perplexed & Perturbed - Saturday, Jan 30, 10 @ 6:54 pm:

Made a great story and would have made a great cover.

31. - Ann - Sunday, Jan 31, 10 @ 12:41 pm:

Great article! I loved the Christine Radogno quote. Very nice indeed. Sorry about the cover!

32. - In the Loop - Sunday, Jan 31, 10 @ 7:51 pm:

Rich, try not to pass away anytime too soon, I need the political intelligence you provide! You are keeping a lot of the political consulting and lobbying community employed. We all just read the column and show up at the meetings saying “my sources tell me…

33. - Donovan - Monday, Feb 1, 10 @ 7:45 am:

Very interesting article. I have always wanted to know a little more about Rich Miller and what led him to the point in life where he currently is now. The article helps to explain a small portion of why he chose the path that he has taken.

If he were of a mind to, Rich has a tempting opportunity to “grow his business” by simply hiring 49 other people (that he feels are qualified)to replicate what he has done in the state of Illinois in each of the other 49 states. A “franchise” if you will. He would soon be akin to Rush Limbaugh with the amount of political power that he would (or could) then wield on a state and national level. There are numerous ways that Rich could structure this business plan so that it would prove extremely lucrative to himself. Yet, Rich would be able to oversee the editorial content so that the “quality” of his business product does not suffer under someone else. I don’t think that the money would ever cause Rich to go in this direction. As it is, Rich can only “eat one steak at a meal” despite being able to afford to eat many steaks at a sitting. However, the one thing that might make Rich consider covering at least several other individual states is to “positively influence the direction of state and national government” in this great nation of ours. The scope of what Rich could do to enrich the very political fiber of the nation would possibly get him to at least reflect on expanding his base of operation.

What I don’t understand is “why Rich ever chose to live in Chicago for awhile rather than staying down in Springfield”? Seems like he married a smart woman who managed to get him to come to his senses. Just teasing.

34. - VanillaMan - Monday, Feb 1, 10 @ 9:02 am:

Nice article.
    I agree - it answered questions I don’t believe I wanted answers to.

VanillaWife and I are going to have to be more descreet in our ramblings around the Lake. You don’t have binocculars, do you?

35. - Fan of Cap Fax - Monday, Feb 1, 10 @ 9:16 am:

Well deserved kudos, Rich! Great article. Love to see you around the Capitol…

* Still more shenanigans!
* Sunday campaign money roundup
* Even more shenanigans!
* More shenanigans!
* Saturday campaign money report
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Shenanigans!
* Tribune drops bombshell on Biss running mate
* Rauner: "Madigan has rigged the Democratic primary for Pritzker"
* New Ives radio ad claims Democrats are trying to help Rauner, while Brady does Rauner robocall
* *** UPDATED x1 - DGA responds *** Elections board says DGA should file disclosure for Ives ad
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY: Jones; IEA/IFT; Reis; Mitchell; Edgar
* ISRA, Drury both try to claim Raoul inserted "poison pill" into gun bill
* Pro-life group launches GOTV effort for Lipinski
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Rauner opens new online track against Ives
* Erika Harold still can't remember comments, but says "I was wrong"
* Rauner calls Madigan "a unified force of bad, of evil"
* Sen. Duckworth gets involved in another state central committee race
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Has Pritzker gone to ground?
* Illinois House Bill HB 4900 Wastes Government Resources
* McCann, barred from SGOP caucus meeting, claims Rauner threatened to "destroy you and your family"
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Caption contest!
* Obama mailer kerfuffle in Lipinski district
* Rauner attended Quincy campaign event after Quincy veterans' home presser
* After spending millions in Dem primary, Rauner accuses "Washington liberals" of "hijacking" the GOP primary

* Gubernatorial candidates head to church on fina.....
* Reader opinions on election, steel jobs, Bellev.....
* Sunday campaign money roundup - The Capitol Fax.....
* Gubernatorial candidate makes local campaign st.....
* Illinois governor race more fierce, costly as p.....
* Illinois Governor Race More Fierce, Costly as P.....

* Security of state voter rolls a concern as primaries begin
* Judge sides with inmate on prosthetic leg, toilet access
* Illinois primary puts focus on security of state voter rolls
* City of Chicago increasing security at Millennium Park
* Effort underway in Kane County to save 1854 schoolhouse
* Holcomb signs bill to replenish eroded NW Indiana beaches
* EXCHANGE: Historian doesn't want hero's story lost
* EXCHANGE: Losing a limb has not handicapped Pekin bowler
* Illinois governor race more fierce, costly as primary nears
* Judge gives FBI more time in alleged serial killer case

* As primaries loom, downstate Democrats look for a way back
* Pritzker defends putting $69.5 million of his fortune into campaign
* Illinois governor race more fierce, costly as primary nears
* Madigan backs Dem central committee incumbent in 13th
* Trump factor looms large in Illinois governor primary campaigns
* Ray LaHood brokers deal for O'Hare expansion
* McCann says Rauner threatened to 'destroy' him in 2015 over vote
* Rauner looking into state buying vacant nursing home in Quincy
* Luciano: What if Downstate dumped Chicago and formed new state?
* AP review: Push for gun laws faces resistance in most states

* Crain's tells the stories of women in business
* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* Amazon search team in Chicago next week
* Amazon HQ2 search team visiting Chicago March 21-22
* Pension mess? You'd hardly know it from 2018's gubernatorial candidates.

* Jonathan Toews heating up just as Blackhawks season nears the end
* Man, 41, shot on Northwest Side
* Hikers find fatal car wreck in Mundelein
* Carson Fulmer or Hector Santiago? White Sox going down to the wire on key call
* Chicago drivers ignore rules on pedestrian walkways, making this writer cross
* Victor Caratini makes long-shot, final-week push for Cubs’ backup catcher job
* Parent calls for CPS enrollment simplification, transparency
* Girl, 15, reported missing from Little Village
* Bulls second-year player Denzel Valentine still feels he’s starting material
* Given the Bears’ free-agent history, maybe we should hold off on the parade

* DePaul ousted from women's NCAA tournament by Texas A&M after letting big second-half lead slip away
* Hikers find totaled car with driver dead in field outside Mundelein
* Denzel Valentine makes starting case
* Cubs' Joe Maddon willing to give Loyola a lift
* Faith in each other the biggest factor carrying Loyola into Sweet 16
* Syracuse tops Michigan State 55-53 to go from First Four to the Sweet 16
* Fact-checking Trump's error-filled tweetstorm about the Mueller probe
* Following fraud-tainted vote, Putin heads for big win in Russia's presidential election
* 9 shot in Chicago overnight, 1 fatally, including 2 cousins
* Turtle racing's had a long, slow burn in Chicago

» A Feisty Debate, Offshore Accounts — And Some Side-Eye
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: March 16, 2018
» The Week in Review: Pritzker Slammed Over Offshore Holdings
» Web Extra, The Week in Review: American Airlines Changes Stance
» How Parking Ticket Debt Punishes Black Drivers In Chicago; The Best Illinois Movies
» State Week: Rauner's Gun Veto; Dem's Mean Debate
» #642 Songs About the Music Industry & Antibalas
» March 15, 2018 - Full Show
» Illinois Has Issues: Gov Candidates Talk Marijuana
» Rauner: Replace Legionnaires’-Stricken VA Home With New ‘Ultra-Modern’ Facility

* As primaries loom, downstate Democrats look for a way back

* Public art could provide 'wow' for the riverfront

* Man found dead in crashed car near Mundelein
* Ronaldo scores 4 goals as Madrid beats Girona 6-3
* Carter scores 37 to lift No. 4 Texas A&M over No. 5 DePaul
* Oklahoma State gets second shot at beating Mississippi St
* MacKinnon scores twice, Avalanche beat reeling Red Wings 5-1

* River Town Chronicles: Randy Hultgren is T...
* 7 Democrats talk strategy for winning prim...
* 14th Democratic hopefuls talk guns at Bata...
* Primary candidates vie for Democratic nomi...
* 14th District candidates agree: Global war...
* ICOs Draw Fire at US Congressional Hearing...
* What to Expect When Congress Talks ICOs To...
* 7 Democrats talk strategy for winning Tues...
* 14th District Dems voice opinions on immig...
* Letter: Stripped state's rights - Northwes...

* A frustrated Trump lashes out at special c......
* Hillary Clinton is 'wrong' about Trump vot......
* President Trump lashes out at special coun......
* Rep. Trey Gowdy: Mueller probe should not ......
* Republicans warn Trump...

* Zinke defends use of Japanese word: How co......
* Congolese mother and child finally reunite......
* Schatz to convene field hearing on false m......
* Congolese mother arrives in Chicago, still......
* Duckworth on Zinke's improper use of Japan......

* Boss Berrios tanking and undecided for governor is in second place after having spent nothing on the campaign.
* Sketchbook.
* Our antiweed governor better take note: downstate is also going to pot
* Hitting Left with the Klonsky Brothers’ election interviews.
* This week.
* Tucker: Washington not worried about male wage crisis
* State of the Legal Industry: A Leading Innovator Concludes that Inefficiency Prevails
* Wednesday, March 14, 2018
* Monday, 3/12/2018
* Online University Programs and Microcredentials Enhance Professional Learning

* February Flooding Information
* IEMA Urges People to Prepare for Severe Weather
* Governor issues state disaster proclamation for flooding in Iroquois, Kankakee, Vermilion Counties
* Winter Storm Warnings for Areas Along and North of I-80
* IEMA Encourages People to Prepare for Earthquakes

* Alcatel 1X and 3V confirmed for the US in the coming months
* No seamless updates for Galaxy S9 and Samsung won’t talk about it
* Six cities have wheelchair-accessible transit directions on Google Maps
* The US Navy’s newest submarine comes with an Xbox controller
* LG G7’s LCD display seen as a cost-cutting move
* A free anthology collects stories from 2017’s new sci-fi and fantasy writers
* Don’t underestimate pandas, their bodies can neutralize cyanide

* Spring Stats Glance
* White Sox announce James Shields as Opening Day starter, because of...
* Cool with No. 2? Avi paces Sox 5-2 win