* 11:13 am - Sun-Times…
Feds drop case against Robert Blagojevich.
More to come.
* 11:17 am - Chicago News Cooperative…
Assistant U.S. Attorney Reid Schar said Thursday that the federal prosecutors will not pursue Rod Blagojevich‘s brother in the upcoming retrial due to “disparity of charges.”
Schar said the government will absolutely proceed with the retrial of Rod Blagojevich.
“You’re done,” lawyer Michael Ettinger said to Robert Blagojevich on the phone afterwards. “You’re free.”
Ettinger said Robert responded, “Words can’t decribe it.”
At a hearing Thursday before U.S. District Judge James B. Zagel, prosecutors announced they are not planning to proceed with the indictment against Robert Blagojevich, a Nashville businessman.
His wife, Julie, cried in the background, according to his lawyer, Michael Ettinger, who said,: “Words can’t describe it.”
Ettinger said Rob Blagojevich screamed when he heard the news by phone.
“He screamed: ‘Oh my God! Oh my God!’” Ettinger said. “His wife was hysterical.”
Robert Blagojevich was charged with two counts of extortion conspiracy and one count each of wire fraud and extortion.
Prosecutors said Thursday they made the decision based on the brother’s less central role in the alleged schemes.
*** 11:37 am *** The Rod Blagojevich retrial won’t start until at least January 4…
Federal Judge James Zagel said Thursday that he’ll set a retrial date for early January. Zagel says the trial won’t begin any earlier than Jan. 4. But he didn’t immediately set a specific date.
*** 1:24 pm *** Did the feds offer Robert Blagojevich a deal yesterday? Interesting…
[Robert] Blagojevich said that the Feds had come to him yesterday “proposing something we rejected.” He would not elaborate on the discussion.
* Blagojevich news roundup…
* Two Blago Lawyers to Stay On: Rod Blagojevich‘s attorneys Sheldon Sorosky and Aaron Goldstein will stay on the case, according to the lawyer representing the ex-governor’s brother.
* Blago auction included confidential papers: NU
* School: Blago auction boxes contain client files
* Father-son lawyer team pulling out of Blagojevich retrial
* Blagojevich may be Adam-less for retrial
* Blagojevich jury questionnaires destroyed, judge’s clerk says
* Forms Blagojevich jurors filled out destroyed
* The battle of wits redux
* First steps being taken toward Blagojevich retrial
* Blagojevich Hearing: Date for Retrial Could be Scheduled
* Blago may have to live with ‘discount’ defense