*** UPDATED x6 - Cosgrove confirmed *** Sparks fly as Cosgrove nomination advanced
Thursday, Apr 7, 2011
* Terry Cosgrove’s nomination to the Human Rights Commission is causing some trouble in the Senate. Cosgrove runs Personal PAC, a pro-choice group that provides tons of funding to candidates. Republicans are not too pleased with the nomination…
*** UPDATE 1 *** Gov. Pat Quinn defended his nomination of Cosgrove today…
*** UPDATE 2 - 2:55 pm *** The full Senate is now taking up the governor’s nominations. Listen or watch by clicking here.
From the Tribune…
*** UPDATE 3 *** The Senate just confirmed Joe Costigan to run the Department of Labor 44-6-2. Costigan was a Quinn supporter last year. Nobody spoke on the floor against him. Cosgrove is next.
* Sen. Duffy just called the Cosgrove nomination “pure pay to play politics.”
* Duffy is now complaining about some direct mail that Personal PAC did against him in 2008, which he called “completely false.”
* Sen. Tim Bivins: “I think we have a duty and a requirement that we should avoid the appearance of impropriety.” He added that Costigan was giving up his job for the Dept. of Labor, and Cosgrove should do the same to avoid a conflict of interest.
* Sen. Dale Righter pointed out that former Rep. Careen Gordon was forced to withdraw after she flip-flopped and voted for a tax hike then got a state job. “This does not pass the smell test, either.”
* Sen. Schmidt pursued the “false statements” line, but was just cut off by the chair.
* Sen. Jacobs: Cosgrove “has the right to his point of view… But nobody’s really talked about him not being qualified for the position.”
* Sen. Delgado, who blocked a nominee for political reasons, is now speaking on behalf of Cosgrove.
*** UPDATE 4 *** 30-25-2. He’s confirmed.
*** UPDATE 5 *** Verification of the roll call has been requested.
*** UPDATE 6 *** Verified. He’s now officially confirmed.