Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Bill to strip workers of union membership goes to Senate floor
Bill to strip workers of union membership goes to Senate floor

Thursday, May 31, 2012

* I was shocked into reality when I found out a couple years back that legislative liaisons were being allowed to join a union. I know many of these people. Many of those are my friends or at least friendly acquaintances. But if anyone ought to be “at will” employees, it should be liaisons. Their jobs are based on politics and on who the governor is. But anyone who joined the union in 2010 would still have a job today if Sen. Bill Brady had defeated Gov. Pat Quinn. That’s not right.

Look, I fully understand why management and political types chose to join the union. They were getting the shaft by the Blagojevich administration and then by Quinn himself. They haven’t gotten pay raises in years. They’re often not treated well on the job and have too little job security.

But we have a situation now where, according to the administration, there is only one non-union employee at the Jacksonville Developmental Center. That means two out of three shifts have no non-union management on the job. That’s a bit crazy, man.

The House passed a bill last year that stripped up to 1,900 employees of their union membership. The Senate Democrats have been trying to work out a deal ever since. Those negotiations failed and the Senate Executive Committee passed the bill to the floor last night, where it awaits final action

Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn has pushed for the legislation because he fears without it, 99 percent of the state workforce, including some of the top decision-makers in government, will have union protection.

In addition to deputy directors and legislative liaisons, those with Rutan-exempt jobs, term appointees and at-will appointees could be affected, said Robb Craddock, a labor relations official with Central Management Services. […]

Henry Bayer, executive director of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, said that senior state workers were underpaid and mistreated under former Gov. Rod Blagojevich so they moved to unionize, a point not disputed by Quinn administration officials in their testimony. This measure could result in those employees again having lower salaries and poor treatment, he said.

1. - LINK - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:25 am:

Shades of Wisconsin….

2. - Reality Check - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:26 am:

There’s not 2,000 legislative liaisons. That argument is being used as cover to turn back the clock and strip 2,000 people of their to collective bargaining. The labor board ruled on each one of these people and found them eligible. If there are operational problems, the administration should work it out with the union, not try to use this blunt instrument to wipe out the rights of thousands of people.

3. - Rich Miller - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:28 am:

===There’s not 2,000 legislative liaisons.===

Never said there were. Notice the paragraph about JDC?

4. - Freeman - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:36 am:

=== Their jobs are based on politics and on who the governor is. ===

I would add that most, if not all, of them are fully cognizant of this aspect and understand it when signing up. At least the ones I know do.

5. - Reality Check - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:39 am:

===The labor board ruled on each one of these people and found them eligible. If there are operational problems, the administration should work it out with the union, not try to use this blunt instrument to wipe out the rights of thousands of people.===

6. - STP - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:44 am:

With the consolidation of departments many of the liaisons were taken from the legacy departments - yet - the consolidated department could not address the issues of the legacy agencies - remaining staff picked up the work adding it to their current jobs - the second point is - how many years do these folks go without a raise - 10 years is to long - so - treat people fairly - and the issues regarding the union will be diminished

7. - Honestly - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:44 am:

Senior management and professional staff such as Public Service Administrators and Senior Public Service Administrators who competently perform their duties are often overruled and retaliated against by Blago/Quinn-appointed Deputy Directors. The Quinn Administration has Lisa Madigan on their side, it makes sense for senior employees who ethically perform get some protection also. This is Walkeresque.

8. - where are the solutions - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:45 am:

It’s easy to say that the union organizing has gone too far. Since many of the legislative liaisons are in their first job out of college the impact on those folks is probably not a big deal. But what does anyone think is going to happen once you strip collective bargaining from the managers who joined a union only because after decades of getting the same raises the union emploees got didn’t get raises for 5-10 years? It only makes sense for those who can to retire a.s.a.p.. This will only cause a new flight to SRS and the further brain drain is going to be devastating.

9. - AC - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:47 am:

If this passes many nurses in my agency will be stripped of their bargaining rights, some of which have no subordinates, and that doesn’t match the stated reasons for supporting this bill either. But, what about PSA’s brought in before 12/2/2008? AFSCME seems to think this will include all PSAs, but a read of the bill indicates otherwise.

10. - Raising Kane - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:49 am:

I don’t think the 1,900 people get “thrown out” of the union. I believe the Gov has to pettition and show cause why a position should be removed from the union. My guess is that far less that half would actually be taken out. Last night President Cullerton mentioned a trailer bill to add some parameters to the bill. That might make a lot of sense, I think unions should take that compromise.

11. - Anonymous - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:53 am:

Wow. If this happens I guess those two days I spent learning how to be an AFSMCE steward will be for naught. Our office here will lose both AFSCME stewards. I guess my pay will be cut as well and I’ll be on the bubble to lose my job. This isn’t a good day.

12. - LINK - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:55 am:

I just love the lack of details even after reviewing SB1556…

13. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:56 am:

Does the bill only affect those hired after December 2008 or were unionized after December 2008 ?

“The bill, which would only affect union employees hired after December 2008, could result in nearly 2,000 workers being ejected from the union, Bayer said.”

14. - Call the Wahmbulance - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 11:01 am:

We’re about 2 employees away from having everyone in state government unionized besides elected officials.

15. - anon - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 11:06 am:

Brady voted present in exec committee.

16. - AC - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 11:07 am:

Anonymous: you aren’t the only Steward who would be impacted by this. The bill is too vague to support. Why have a trailer bill to fix the issues? Why not introduce a better bill that truly addresses the problem without also potentially impacting a large number of professionals with specialized training? What about employees who have been represented by a union their entire career and took promotions to titles impaced by this bill before it was introduced?

17. - been there - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 11:35 am:

The furloughs for non-union employees were a powerful incentive to join the unions.

18. - Freeman - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 11:36 am:

=== Why have a trailer bill to fix the issues? Why not introduce a better bill ===

Not a fan of the trailer bill technique in general myself.

It feels like patching a leak with silly putty and saying, “We’ll come back with the real stuff later.”

19. - Raising Kane - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 11:42 am:

20. - anonymice - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 11:49 am:

As the rush of state employees to the doors accelerates.

21. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 12:03 pm:

I have heard that negotiations are including issues involving the future of some management titles. I have heard that the titles above paygrade 20 could be losing representation. But I have also heard that some of the higher grade managers might be retained in the union but be allowed to do some management functions, such as impose discipline & hear grievances.

“The reason this time would be that the union hasn’t wanted to negotiate so passing this would force them to engage in real negotiations and at least get the legislative liason’s out.

22. - lincolnlover - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 12:09 pm:

Until my boss was allowed to join a union, I made $4000 a year more than she did and she has 5 years more seniority than me. That’s not right. No raise for almost 8 years and the first one to have to take furlough days. No wonder mid-managers want to be unionized.

23. - Both Sides Now - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 12:12 pm:

“Henry Bayer… said …This measure could result in those employees AGAIN having lower salaries and poor treatment”

AGAIN?! I haven’t had a raise in 4 years, had to take furlough days and the one person I supervise makes more money than me. I am treated poorly and have a lower salary NOW!!! So you betcha I was one of the SPSAs that signed up to be in the union. Assuming this newest bill doesn’t pass, any idea of when SPSA union membership will occur?

24. - Rank-and-file member - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 12:33 pm:

25. - AC - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 1:00 pm:

Rank and File member: A lot of people woukd support this legislation if it were targeted toward the types of individuals you describe. Unfortunately, this bill impacts people pretty close to the bottom in some agencies.

26. - anon - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 1:15 pm:

This bill is nothing more than union busting! Shame on Gov. Quinn for acting Walkeresque” If there are individuals that need to be dealt with, fix those problems. This bill is taking a machete to union rights for state employees when they should be using a scapel.

27. - anon - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 1:26 pm:

OOps, scalpel! Sorry, I was in enraged and a hurry

28. - johhnypizza - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 1:50 pm:

I believe something like 98% of all state employees are in one bargaining unit or another. If 2,000 are removed what does that leave - 96%. That is not union busting! That being said, as a merit comp hack who earns less than many of the people I supervise and has to perform investigations and perform disciplinary functions that people 2 levels below mine used to perform, I would be very satisfied if some union positions would just be able to perform those functions. I came on board in 2009 as a registered R in a D district in a D state so I like to think I was hired on merit not on who I knew but a track record of excellence. Not everyone is in it for him/herself.

29. - STP - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 2:06 pm:

It is amazing that SPSA’s that picked up the slack as staff positions were not filled - some addrssed legislation - and all the talk is about unions’s when the issue is FAIR PAY AND RESPECT - 10 years without a raise is to long - furlough days - and staff you supervise (if any are left) make more then you - there is nothing in this legislative session that will give a raise for another year - some of us are not political 25 years ago the state asked for our help and we joined up - sorry about that one

30. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 2:14 pm:

Rank

Not all of us that could be affected are what you describe. I have worked the front lines for 32 years, the last 9 in management positions. Until my position was added to the union I did not receive a raise for years. Additionally, when Blago decided to have the state stop picking up my portion of the pensions, he phased it in over several years & gave raises to union members to offset the payment. For merit comp employees, I just got an immediate 4% pay cut, which lasted for 2 years (during the economic boom of the early-mid 2000’s). Since I can go now, if this passes, it makes no economic sense for me to stay with the state. With the zero raises & mandatory furloughs (& possible pay cuts since they can do whatever they want when there is no collective bargaining) I will say adieu to the state & start collecting my retirement. Good luck finding replacements. Before we became unionized nobody wanted the management jobs.

“Union person here and I like this idea. The management merit hacks that came in with Blago jumped to get union protection as the Blago ship was sinking. Let them fend for themselves without union protection, it’s a back-door way to get that “fumigation” we all wanted and never got from Quinn.”

31. - Anon - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 2:57 pm:

Sounds like a no brainer to me. Hope that it’s just the first step.

32. - Southern Peggy R - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 4:38 pm:

Wow. I don’t know if the particulars of this bill are just, as some folks here are questioning, but I am impressed that Quinn et al see some limits to public union reach.

33. - I am done! - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 5:39 pm:

I too am one of those SPSA’s who’s plate of responsibility is overflowing because of not filling management positions. I worked longer and harder hours managing employees where the majority make $6000 - $15000 more a year than me. Training them, cleaning up their mistakes and being verbally abused by them. I am done, I am retiring. It is not always about political hacks. I have worked for 34 years giving my all to be treated disrespectful by this legislature and agency senior management, it is shameful. Yes we tried to get into the union because of these reasons.
    Goodbye.

34. - Steve Bartin - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 5:43 pm:

Rich:

This is a good post. Very good.

35. - daviduv - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 6:52 pm:

What does it matter if you’re in the Union or not. The Governor doesn’t honor the contract anyway. I didn’t get the last contractual raise, a raise might I add that we delayed to save jobs and facilities, many which they are voting to lay off and close, or a contractual step increase. The Governor stated he had no money, and the courts ruled that we can’t force the State to spend money. Shades of Scott Walker? Shades of the McCormick Reeper Works and the Haymaker Riots. We should be happy that the Legislators and the Governor aren’t hitting us with ax handles.

36. - park - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 8:00 pm:

There’s all sorts of things hidden in this bill, and things like legislative liaisons are a smokescreen. For one thing, the bill permanently removes lawyers working for the attorney general’s office from organizing. some of them tried last year. Madigans won’t let that happen again. Also SOS and Treasurer employees who, though not managerial “provide input on policy”. every employee does that. Ask Ascfme what this last second bill is all about.

37. - Sox fan - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 8:01 pm:

My job was added to be the union a couple years ago, which was nice because I serve under a vengeful, mentally unstable, unqualified Blago hack. Today, I just reached 20 years of service time…a date I’ve always looked forward as justification for all those years of low govt. paychecks. Plus, I work for one of the agencies that didn’t get salary increases. I’m not even going to talk about the pension bill (quite frankly, it seems rather ludicrous that the GA thinks it’ll pass constitional muster, but that’s an argument for another day). Plus, I work for one of the agencies that didn’t get salary increases.

Am I bitter? Not yet, but if the pension system totally collapses years from now (when its time for me to retire), then my anger will not aimed only at our clueless elected ” leaders” over the past 40 years, but also aimed squarely at Afscme leadership for not coming to the table and negotiating a fair increase in current employees’ retirement contribution.

The longer we wait, the closer we get to that day. Winning in court won’t mean anything when that day arrives. We have a Governor today who doesn’t care if he’s reelected. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get our fiscal house in order. So Henry Bayer: Are you reading this? This Afscme member is asking you to increase my contribution to the pension system. Many of my fellow brothers and sisters feel the same way.

38. - Fred - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 8:09 pm:

This is not considered union busting. If this bill takes 2000 employees out of the union, that would mean that 90 percent of state government is still unionized. I grew up in a union household and whole heartedly support the concept behind unionization. To hear AFSCME call this union busting is crazy. There needs to be a healthy balance of union/management.

39. - Sox fan - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 8:50 pm:

Fred is right. Did unions ever think they’d see the day when 96% (or higher) of the state’s workforce would be unionized? Keep in mind, many of those 2000 employees are like me; Im confident in Afsmce’s abilities in justifying that my position should be in the union. So In the end, Fred’s 90% estimate will almost assuredly not be approached.

40. - sense of a goose - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 9:54 pm:

How about having a commission decide merit comp salaries like they do our elected officials? When we have state facilities that have 300 employees and only 1-5 of them out of the union, there is a problem. Those few people have to take a day off once in a while. Who manages in their absence? We have gone too far and I’ve helped organize an office before but let’s have some balance.

41. - SDP - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:00 pm:

I am onboard with Sox Fan. I am a PSA who may or may not be impacted by this bill. It’s true that they can’t fill my position when it isn’t in the union. However, would someone PLEASE let the employees VOTE on contributing more to the pension system? I think we all SHOULD! I have no problem helping to dig the pension system out of the hole that the GA buried it in. Sure it isn’t our fault, but none of us want to see the system collapse. Everyone thinks that they are speaking for or over the employees, but no one is letting us speak for ourselves or asking what we would be willing to do. Give us a real voice!

42. - Anon - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:03 pm:

Does anyone know if this bill passed?

43. - SDP - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:11 pm:

44. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, May 31, 12 @ 10:25 pm:

SDP

All the new law would do is change the definitions of supervisor & manager. The state would have to petition the Labor Board to remove any individual from collective bargaining. Nobody would be kicked out just because the law passes, & nobody would be required to pay back pay received while covered by collective bargaining.

“Anon-I’ve been watching online and checking updates, but I don’t think we’ll see any answers before morning. I’m sick with worry over it, as the rumors are flying on the job. I’ve heard that the PSA 2 s were kicked out of the union and returned to pre union salaries and even that they have to pay back the increases that they rec’d. I don’t believe any of it, although it came from a supervisor in the capital. Stories like this just feed the sense of hysteria.”

45. - JustaJoe - Friday, Jun 1, 12 @ 8:50 am:

I too would like to check the particulars of the bill…what’s the number?
    But Rich, your lead-in is correct. I personally witnessed this happen, and for those taking typical partisan positions, know these things: 1)line management and professionals have long been non-union; 2) as people left or were pushed out, MANY state jobs were left vacant or “eliminated”, often filled by more-expensive outsourcing, often as in-house substitutes for state employees; 3) political patronage people have been brought in to every level of job…not just liaisons…in open defiance of the Rutan decree; 4) as Rich says, the remaining line management & professionals have been, and are, mistreated & without raises and “bonuses”; 5) the unions have looked the other way with regard to the erosion of the bargaining units and instead accepted the gradual absorption of the political patronage appointees and the line management & professionals instead; 6) the line management & professionals willingly accept the union coverage because they believe that the unions will afford them some protection; and 7) now the state has an army of political patronage people with union protection….how would any new administration rid itself of these people? How do managers impose discipline on other members of their same union? And what about the state employee job vacancies that would otherwise have new people (presumably under a revised pension plan) who are not there to pay into the system?
    WHAT A MESS. WHEN LOOKING AT THIS STUFF, PLEASE DON’T TAKE SIMPLE UNION vs NON-UNION POSITIONS. IT’S MORE THAN THAT.

* Janus apparently no longer loves his state job, hires on with Illinois Policy Institute
* Pritzker meets with moms who've lost their kids to street violence, police shootings
* Caption contest!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Campaign stuff: Morrison; Ives; Skillicorn; Nybo; Rooney; Curran; Breen; Frese
* "And admit that the waters/Around you have grown"
* A tiny bit of good news from Moody's
* Proft files suit so his independent expenditure committee can coordinate with campaigns after caps busted
* Cook shifts governor's race from "Toss Up" to "Lean Democrat" - Third-party candidates "the tipping point"
* Unsolicited advice
* The impasse and the damage done
* Entire IPHCA executive committee resigns, lawyer let go after racism controversy
* Chicago to get its first public law school, but is it a wise move?
* Doom and gloom abounds, but a new pension idea emerges
* Another lawsuit filed in Quincy veterans' home deaths: "For a year and a half, he loved that place. And it killed him"
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* SVM EDITORIAL: Term limits: Beware of unintende.....
* McDaniel-Hale: The decision to smoke is a perso.....
* In Bellwood, Fritz Kaegi Blasts 'Machine Po.....
* Barickman Cautious About Trump Impact on IL Ele.....
* Democrats try to rebuild the state party from t.....
* New law better protects DCFS workers..
* Bloomington Business Helps State Retirement Sav.....
* Illinois Makes Its IT Department a Permanent Fi.....
* Dyslexia guidebook bill signed into law..
* Naperville Now 07-20-18..

* Rauner names former general counsel to Illinois Racing Board
* The Latest: Friend: Indianapolis couple enjoyed traveling
* The Latest: Resident says life vests not worn on duck boats
* The Latest: Meteorologists warned of storms in Branson area
* Survivors recount deadly Missouri duck boat sinking
* The Latest: Cousin recalls family at birthday party
* Legislation signed requiring protection for state workers
* The Latest: NTSB says boat investigation could a take year
* The Latest: Inspector warned of flaws in Missouri boats
* The Latest: Missouri couple killed in boat accident

* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Incumbents hold big fundraising leads in central Illinois legislative races
* Springfield man wins Illinois State Police logo contest
* Rauner 'deeply troubled' by Trump's Helsinki comments
* Rauner signs bill to ease physician assistant hiring
* Bill taking Illinois out of voter registration system vetoed

* Home Run Pizza CEO dies
* Home Run Inn Pizza CEO dies
* Your neighbor isn't a business
* The future of the U.S. looks a lot like Chicago
* Cook County board moves to prevent repeat of pop tax fiasco

* Pitchfork Day 2 Photos: Blood Oranges, Circuit des Yeux, Paul Cherry, Zola Jesus
* Crews searching for boater who went overboard near Navy Pier in Race to Mackinac
* Two men shot while standing on sidewalk in South Austin
* Bears won’t ‘harp’ on WR Kevin White in camp: ‘We just want him to be him’
* Intoxicated man wounded in shooting treated in Wicker Park
* Its early but … Bears rookie CB Kevin Toliver off to a fast start
* Man shot in stomach during Humboldt Park altercation
* White Sox’ Reynaldo Lopez has the stuff, and stuff to work on in second half
* Man, 23, shot in the back in Gage Park
* Bears training camp report: Rookie receiver Anthony Miller stars on Day 2

* Fan who survived heart attack at Wrigley Field returning to thank Cubs employee who helped him
* Naperville's old Clow farm relegated to the history books, but its barn wood gets a second lease on life
* 'We are hurting deeply': Family of Harith Augustus responds to fatal police shooting
* Community activist facing charges after police said he resisted during protest Thursday
* Jordan Howard's pass-catching work received boost with two catches Saturday
* Officials working hard to find Special Olympics athlete missing from Gold Coast since Thursday
* Kyle Long's return to health as important as any addition to Bears offense
* Trump finds it 'inconceivable' lawyer would tape a client
* 'Semi Queer' book reveals lives and struggles of gay, trans truck drivers
* Years before John Cynn won $8.8M in the World Series of Poker, he was a Glenbrook North student playing for fun

» The Week in Review: Public Outcry Over Police-Involved Shooting
» ‘Ali: A Life’; Sexual Harassment In Bars; NPR’s Sam Sanders
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: July 20, 2018
» UIC To Acquire John Marshall Law School, Creating The City’s First Public Law School
» State Week: Russia Reactions, Gun Laws, Campaign Cash
» #660 PJ Morton & Opinions on Drake
» July 19, 2018 - Full Show
» Berwyn Homeowners Squeezed By School District Miscalculation
» How Conservatism Won In Wisconsin; Illinois Election Security; Special Olympics 50th Anniversary
» Illinois Prison Officials Accused of Abusing Transgender Inmate

* Guest View: How to solve the Illinois pension crisis and dramatically lower property taxes
* Our View: Let the new EDC director lead the way
* Statehouse Insider: Prognosticator says Rauner most vulnerable incumbent
* Bernard Schoenburg: Purchase may, Cahnman will take on Proctor in Ward 5
* Scott Reeder: Understanding is what journalism should be about
* Counterpoint: His pick is bad news indeed for health care, women, consumers and unions
* Point: Kavanaugh is truly a 'judge's judge' and precisely what our nation needs
* Eugene Robinson: The 'deep state' stands between us and the abyss
* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook

* Heart of Illinois Fair looks to stabilize after dropping to five-day schedule
* Operation Christmas Child brings a testimony to Christmas in July awareness event
* Boil order issued in Murphysboro
* Curious messages on O’Fallon house worry neighbors and draw onlookers
* Sherrard woman identified as one of 17 killed in Missouri boat accident
* Street closures listing
* Road closure: Interstate 74
* De Soto chef to appear on CBS show 'The Talk' Monday
* SIU Carbondale faculty reviewing program changes for restructuring
* Southern Illinois legislators sound off on latest gun laws signed by Rauner

* Food, music, animals highlight the Kane County Fair
* Youth triathlon in St. Charles features kid-friendly activity, fun
* American Indian veterans gather at Cantigny: 'It helps a lot when you talk'
* Going to the cats? Rosemont convention caters to feline fans
* Homegrown Festival celebrates suburban music and art

* Balloon Ride Fantasy goes 'more synth-...
* Henderson County finishes year with $8.6 m...
* Judge Brad Schneider shows F&F ...
* House Democrats see record $15.2M raised f...
* Forest Preserve Incidents Near Niles, Elk ...
* 7-year-old Matteson girl goes to Washingto...
* Cook County board moves to prevent repeat ...
* Want to be Chicago's next mayor? Make ...
* UIC, John Marshall Law School join forces ...
* How area members of Congress voted on voti...

* How area members of Congress voted on voti......
* Family reunifications: 450 down, roughly 1......
* Ballot security battle heats up already ho......
* In IL-6, Roskam and Casten clash over elec......
* GOP accuses Dems of stalling Kavanaugh aft......

* Congress eyes 2026 centennial, tourism pot......
* Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Corte......
* The age of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez...
* Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez B......
* In the Trump era, some find escapism in &#......

* Garry McCarthy.
* The Janus decision was not to invite him.
* The sad state of the sandwich at Logan Square deli Rosie’s Sidekick
* Saba confronted grief and found joy in his Pitchfork set
* A police killing and a school firing. Some Monday morning questions.
* Chance the rapper.
* An efiling nightmare -- but with a happy ending
* Snoop, the barber.
* Keeping retirement real. Regressive taxation and living in the city.
* A guaranteed basic income in Chicago...

* THOMAS RHETT TO DELIVER ?UNFORGETTABLE' PERFORMANCE AT 2018 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR
* IDPH Investigation Continues As Foodborne Illnesses Increase
* Gov. Rauner signs HB 5611
* Summit for Success: IDOT providing tools, opportunity for disadvantaged businesses
* Illinois Payrolls Jump +18,100

* Ghostbusters World is basically Pokémon Go, but with proton packs
* Price drop: Unlocked Google Pixel only $199.99
* All the updates, trailers, and commentary for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
* The first trailer for DC’s Aquaman shows off a war between the surface and the sea
* The first trailer for DC’s Shazam is like Big, but with superheroes
* Facebook is developing an internet satellite after shutting down drone project
* Watch the first trailer for Godzilla: King of the Monsters

* MLB trade rumors: White Sox unlikely to deal Jose Abreu
* Mariners activate Hernandez to start versus White Sox
* White Sox's Avisail Garcia comes off disabled list
* Chicago White Sox Outfielder Avisail Garcia Activated From D...
* White Sox: Eloy Jimenez, Michael Kopech Need to Be Called Up...
* Rosas hits walk-off single in 10th, DSL White Sox beats DSL ...
* Value Survey: Game 95