*** UPDATED x1 - Madigan says bill 12 votes shy *** Still short

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013

*** UPDATE *** House Speaker Michael Madigan says the vote gap is even worse than the Windy City Times/Illinois Review estimate…

[ *** End Of Update *** ]

* The Windy City Times took a close look last week at where the roll call stood on same sex marriage. The Illinois Review published it in a more unreadable form, apparently unaware that they were getting their source information from a gay publication.

I looked at the list, which purports to show that gay marriage is ten votes shy of passage. I’ve talked to some of the House members on that list and I think some of the “No” votes are now leaning in favor of the bill.

But it isn’t going to be easy. One House Democrat I talked with last week wants to vote for gay marriage, but his strongly Catholic wife is absolutely, completely dead set against it. Sometimes, these things happen. Legislators are human beings, after all. He said he’d likely push for an amendment strengthening the protections for religious institutions.

Even with a generous tilt, I think it’s still maybe one to five votes shy of passage, depending on whatever the prevailing winds are at the moment. But proponents are pretty darned sure they can pass this thing, so expect a very strong final push.

* Meanwhile, this isn’t gonna work at all

Paul Caprio, Family PAC’s director, provides the voice in the robocall and says, “Your state representative Mike Smiddy has received $6,500 from Chicago homosexuals.”

Henry County Republican Jon Zahm works as a field director for Family PAC and sent a statement to local media about the robocall.

Mr. Zahm initially said he did not know which “Chicago homosexuals” the robocall referred to.

But in a subsequent interview he pointed to donations to Rep. Smiddy’s election campaign from two groups that advocate for equal rights for gay people and to a contribution from Fred Eychaner, who Mr. Zahm said is “openly gay.”

The robocall…

Smiddy is an avowed liberal. No way will a robocall move him off that bill

“This is an issue primarily about the welfare of the children, protection of children, and what effect same-sex marriage has on that welfare and outcome,” Family-PAC’s Caprio said Sunday, claiming that children would less likely know their cultural and medical history if their parents were gay.

“Is it possible that what they call Parent 1 and Parent 2 could raise a child in a loving manner? Sure. But don’t you think it’s important a person know who their biological parents are?” he said.

Smiddy said adopted children can seek out their biological parents regardless of the parents’ orientation and called Caprio’s assertion “ridiculous.”

“I honestly thought it was a very ridiculous comment and a very untrue comment,” Smiddy said.

Caprio’s statement that he has been taking money from “Chicago homosexuals” is “greatly offensive.”

* And while these robocalls are more interesting, I’m not sure how effective they’ll be

With a vote looming in the Illinois House, Rev. James Meeks is taking a stand against same-sex marriage by sending an “emergency message” to Illinois households.

Meeks, pastor of Salem Baptist Church on Chicago’s South Side and former state senator, said the pre-recorded call that reached roughly 200,000 households in 14 legislative districts beginning Friday was sent mostly to African-Americans.

“Please listen closely,” the message began. “Your state representative in Springfield is under serious pressure to redefine marriage in Illinois. If marriage between one man and one woman is redefined to add same-sex marriage, our family structure, as we know it, is in serious jeopardy.

“While being a member of the General Assembly for the last 10 years, I maintained the fact that this decision is too big for 177 people to make. If we are going to change Illinois, as we know it on such a broad scale, then your voice and input are very much needed.”

The National Organization for Marriage, a nonprofit that lobbies for defining marriage between a man and a woman, funded the pre-recorded message. The group’s backers include a former law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and a presidential appointee to the United States Commission on Civil Rights.

“Obviously [Meeks is] a very well known figure in the area,” said Brian Brown, the organization’s president and co-founder. “He’s an African-American standing up for the issue. We’re very happy he was willing to make the calls and stand up for marriage.”

Then again, Meeks may only have to scare one or two votes off the bill to kill it. Stay tuned.

1. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:03 am:

Two things:

Why would children who have gay parents not know who their biological parents are/were? Is it some kind of gay thing where the couple pretends they had the kid the same way other couples have children? If it’s a lesbian couple, they do what my brother and his wife did–eventually they explain IVF to the child when said child is old enough to understand about the test tube.

And also equal rights are good for the economy: http://progressillinois.com/posts/content/2013/03/12/marriage-equality-boosts-economy

2. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:19 am:

The level of anti-gay vitriol from some of these people greatly saddens me. The treatment of gays by these people essentially indicates that they think gay people are less than equal members of society.

First of all, these robocalls about donations by “homosexuals” couldn’t be any more offensive. Not that anybody has a right to not be offended, but the insinuation about gays with this robocall is disgusting.

Second, as a gay person and a parent of 3 children, I get very angry when people suggest that I am somehow less of a family and less of a parent simply because I am gay. What really infuriates me about the Family-PAC statement is this particular phrase: “protection of children.” Protection from what exactly? Are gay people dangerous somehow? Maybe they are trying to protect kids from the loving family gay people can provide to kids.

Finally, I am most saddened by our religious leaders’ assault against gays. If the issue were somehow related to the fact that churches would be forced to marry gay people then I would likely side with them. But that’s not the issue. Nobody is forcing churches to participate in these ceremonies. Their issue is simple: it offends are religious beliefs and we believe our religious beliefs trump everything else. I have news for these pastors. You and your followers are free to believe what you want. It’s a free country, and I’m thankful that we are allowed to shout our beliefs, in public, from the highest mountain. But, when it comes to my life, and more importantly my rights as a member of society, you need to keep your noses out of it. I’m not bound by your religious beliefs.

A lot of people argue that gays are militant and try to throw it in everybody’s face. And, there are some that do go about it the wrong way. The reason I am so passionate is because there is an attack on me going on. And that attack is based solely on the fact that I am gay. I have news for the world. Gay people exist and they are here to stay. We have a right to be treated with respect and dignity and not be treated as some sort of lesser human beings simply because we are gay. I’m tired of the anti-gay rhetoric and I look forward to the continued fight against those who are anti-gay until we ground them into oblivion and take our place as an equal member of society.

3. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:23 am:

Caprio and Zahm…

They are the BEST examples of being “Right”, instead of winning at the Ballot Box.

I have nothing against anyone being against SSM, or even saying they are going to vote against it.

My issue has always been, you can NOT have one issue, ANY one issue, be the “Litmus Test” to your credibility of being a Republican.

Family-PAC, and those who “speak” for that organization make no bones about, “Our way, or the highway, and if we cut off your nose to spite all of us …GOOD!”

Really? Chicago Homosexuals?

Are Peoria Homosexuals more “tolerable” to Caprio or Zahm? “Well, it was a ‘Peoria Homosexual’ who gave money, maybe we should re-think this. ..”

Zealots who … THINK … they can dictate the “no tolerance” doctrine, or be seen as a RINO miss the point of being part of a Political Party. Religions can, and do, dictate the morality of its followers, and that is the role. Politcal Parties are not a “religion”, although it is easy to find the GOP Zealots who try to stain anyone opposed to them …RINO.

Now I know Smiddy is a Dem. I am not missing THAT point, but Family-PAC’s history or threats and “slates” and intimidation towards Republicans, based on what Family-PAC thinks a “true Republican” should be, is exactly the rationale of these RoboCalls in Smiddy’s district is the “wake-up” call to any Republican in the House;

“We called into Smiddy’s District, don’t think we won’t do the same to you.”

Work the bill, Family-PAC, kill it, do the work necessary to succeed, but let’s stop with the “Chicago Homosexuals”. It’s shameful, embarrassing, and reeks of a group more desperate about a failing issue, than an organization that can make valid points to influence legislation.

One last thought …Does Family-PAC… think …there are NO homosexuals outside
    Chicago? A valid question, since it appears Family-PAC is worried about an … invasion… of its Purity outside Chicago?

Just wondering.

4. - Just Me - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:23 am:

I thought equal marriage was a part of the Democratic party’s platform, and since the House is controlled by Democrats, I’m surprised there is an issue. I thought elected officials and party leaders always followed the platform or were removed from their positions?

Oh wait…..

5. - Keep Calm and Carry On - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:28 am:

“Just Me” makes a good point.

Highly instructive example of how the two parties deal with differences of opinion.

6. - qcexaminer - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:28 am:

“Legislators are human beings”? What about human rights? What about being on the right side of history? What about the right to be with who you love? What about the civil rights struggle of our times?

Oops, politics happen.

Checking out the yes vote list I noticed Pat Verschoore is a yes for SSM but voted against civil unions. What’s up with that?

Rich you always like to point out the pressure the Catholic Church and other traditional values groups use, but you never, ever say anything about the tactics gay advocacy groups use.

I’ll bet you have some juicy stories about THAT!

7. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:33 am:

- Just Me -,

Great Point!

Well said, and thank you for shining a harsh, but needed spotlight on what seems to be the “struggle” of My Party, that doesn’t need to be a “struggle”… at all.

Thanks.

8. - Esquire - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:37 am:

I would like to listen to the taped message from Reverend Meeks.

9. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:49 am:

Flipping 12 votes would seem to be a bridge too far at this point.

10. - Conservative Republican - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:49 am:

Get a clue. The “Chicago homosexuals” reference is not some indication that Chicago is more gay than any other part of the state, but that the Chicago-centric GBLT PAC money is driving this issue, with the consequences being felt in downstate districts. Its an anti Chicago dig, subsumed in the pro-family rallying cry.

11. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:51 am:

Needing 12 votes is a tough “ask” for Rep. Harris to get fairly quick.

This Bill is going to need some “work” and time, like a Late May timetable.

Speaker Madigan ain’t no “Vote Countula”.

12. - ZC - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 9:51 am:

>> I’m surprised there is an issue. I thought elected officials and party leaders always followed the platform or were removed from their positions?

Just Me, this is an intensely visible vote that is highly salient to the public (and media) and one that even normally under-informed Illinoisans will have a moral opinion about. To use a poli sci term, it’s highly “traceable” come election (and primary) time. Different rules apply, is my supposition.

13. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:00 am:

Very disappointing.

14. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:01 am:

===I’ll bet you have some juicy stories about THAT!===

Actually, not really. So far, at least, it’s been pretty tame and standard stuff.

15. - Skeeter - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:05 am:

Not to digress, but this is at least the second time in recent memory (the other was with Todd V) where the Illinois Review has basically taken another publication’s work without attributing the source.

Somebody over there needs to take a look at what they are doing.

16. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:05 am:

@Conservative Republican:

I don’t understand your comment about the “consequences being felt in downstate districts.” Are you suggesting that Chicago is the only area that supports same sex marriage and that this somehow is a steamroll of downstate? I live downstate and fully support same sex marriage as do many other people I know that live downstate. This isn’t a Chicago centric issue no matter how hard some of you attempt to say it is.

17. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:07 am:

===Get a clue.===

Since I was … MOCKING … the idea of Chicago being more/less/same than say, Peoria, maybe you need to read things more carefully.

===Its an anti Chicago dig.===

Really? Or is it both a “Chicago” dig, or a “Homosexual” dig?

If you say it’s not a “Homosexual” dig too, then why the heck get involved in SSM which is supported … by Homosexuals?

Can’t wish away the “dig” as geography-only.

18. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:11 am:

“The “Chicago homosexuals” reference is not some indication that Chicago is more gay than any other part of the state….”

Even with the proposed NHL realignment from 6 divisions to 4, I’d expect Bettman to shut down the league owned revenue draining Phoenix franchise, so maybe Chicago could get a second hockey team.

19. - Colossus - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:21 am:

Anon@10:11 - You owe me a clean keyboard. This one has too much coffee on it.

20. - Shoeless - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:27 am:

I’m interested in the possibility of horse-trading. Is it possible that say, some downstaters could be persuaded to vote for marriage equality of some non-downstaters say they’ll back off, at the least, anything to ban or freeze fracking? Just an idea.

I’m amazed by the legislator who’d rather not upset his wife than vote for this bill. Would this be acceptable if his wife were opposed to [insert name of oppressed minority group legislation here]?

21. - Served - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 10:33 am:

I’m going to need clarification from Paul Caprio. If I was born and raised and went to college downstate, but now reside in Chicago, do I count as a Chicago Homosexual, or should I register as something else?

22. - the Patriot - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:01 am:

I really think the problem for SSM proponents is they are still a very small minority of people and our society is so self involved, most people just don’t care. Do you think the basic downstate voter is going to back his legislator because of how he feels about taxes, pensions, guns, education, or SSM. This makes a great blog topic, but like it or not this issue is not even on the radar for a majority of voters.

23. - Ruby - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:14 am:

Patriot, the same can be said of the ERA, but here we are 89 years later and the ERA is still not ratified in Illinois.

24. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:15 am:

===The vote shows the reality that a majority of IL voters may want it, but most of those are in Chicago. The lack of votes shows that a majority of downstate districts do not want it or care.===

If a majority of ILLINOIS voters … want it … why does it matter where?

Can you clarify? No snark, asking… Can you clarify how you reconcile a majority of Illinois voters differs as to where those voters are …?

25. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:23 am:

Further,

Are you saying that, as PER district, when you “count” the districts and those who represent those districts, there is the disconnect, like the ERA votes, for example?

A mojority of voters favor “X”, but they are packed in too few districts to overturn the other Reps. whose district may/may not have a large enough constituency to influence the elected Rep?

That is what I am/was think you were going, am I right?

26. - Cincinnatus - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:37 am:

Been saying to have a Referendum on this for quite a while… Let the people decide, and then our elected officials can assure that laws are written to protect EVERYONE’s rights, including Churches.

27. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:43 am:

@Cinci:

YOU DON’T VOTE ON ISSUES OF EQUAL RIGHTS. I get tired of this mantra that the “people” should get to vote on issues. You already did vote - for a Representative. If you don’t like our system then move to change it. Otherwise work within it.

28. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:44 am:

@Cinci:

Also point to me where the law DOESN’T protect Churches. That’s always been a red herring argument for those looking for cover to oppose SSM.

29. - OneMan - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:46 am:

Again right on target OW…

Think the Meeks call is going to have an impact.

30. - Small Town Liberal - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:46 am:

- Been saying to have a Referendum on this for quite a while… -

And it’s roundly been pointed out that in Illinois that wouldn’t matter. It’s just a cop out so you don’t have to admit you’re against.

It’s coming, if not this session, likely the next. The world won’t end, and those who oppose it loudest will leave a shameful legacy.

31. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:47 am:

I normally hang up as soon as I realize a call is robo-political, but maybe I shouldn’t.

Not only does that beat most sitcoms, it takes less time.

32. - Ray Midge - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:50 am:

@Patriot - You’re half right. Most people don’t care. But if you ask them their opinion, they think, “If two people want to get married, who am I to stand in their way?” That’s the majority view in Illinois, and in the country.

33. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 11:59 am:

If this is such a non-issue among Downstate voters, why wouldn’t their reps vote for it? They should not fear backlash over an issue no one cares about.

34. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 12:18 pm:

Chavez, good point and congrats on the best new handle we’ve seen around here in some time. Love it.

35. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 12:20 pm:

- AA - beat me to it, I enjoy that handle, - Chavez-respecting Obamist -.

Well done!!

36. - Midwest Mom - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 1:08 pm:

Demoralized and Chavez–
    I agree completely. EQUAL RIGHTS IS NOT UP FOR VOTE!

If we keep screwing around with this, MN will beat us to it and we’ll appear even more incompetant. Even IA beat us to it! CO just made a step forward this week as well. IT’S TIME TO GET ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY.

37. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 1:20 pm:

Perspective in today’s Salon from a former Iowa GOP state senator, Jeff Angelo, who sponsored a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, on the state’s four-year experience with gay marriage:

–“Most of our small towns have people in them that are gay, and live peaceful lives. They’re not made to feel like outsiders. So what occurred to me was that the political debate didn’t really match up what was going on in Iowa communities. And that’s when I thought this is just unfair. There’s no evil force that’s out there that’s trying to destroy marriage. It was people that just wanted to fall in love, and have stable families and monogamous relationships just like I do. That’s what changed my mind.”–

I’m sure Family PAC would say he’s a tool of those Des Moines homosexuals.

38. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 1:55 pm:

For the record, thanks - OneMan -, appreciate that.

===…he’s a tool of those Des Moines homosexuals.===

Wonder what cities Family-PAC has homosexuals they agree with …

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

39. - ChicagoR - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 2:02 pm:

Well, guess I’ll put the tux away for a while…

40. - LincolnLounger - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 2:34 pm:

I’m sure I am missing something.

41. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 2:37 pm:

–Can somebody explain to me why the Speaker was giving out vote counts on an issue like this? Wouldn’t he defer to Harris?–

42. - LincolnLounger - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 2:54 pm:

Possibly, wordslinger (your condescension noted, by the way). Some of my friends say he just gave cover to African-American legislators afraid of their church leaders.

43. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 3:04 pm:

LL, I don’t know where you see the condescension. I’m not very subtle.

44. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 3:58 pm:

FTR, I am the poster formerly known as Cheryl44. I just couldn’t resist.

45. - haverford - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 4:24 pm:

Late to the game here, but had to comment about the mystery legislator.

He was sent there to represent his constituents, not his wife.

46. - OneMan - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 4:32 pm:

In terms of donations, unless I have missed something you have to report you who work for and not much else…

Just waiting for the day one of my donations becomes

“Donations from obese suburban curlers”

47. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 4:35 pm:

===Not surprisingly, I suspect he wants to put pressure on some suburban Republicans who would like to see the issue go away.===

100% concur.

The Speaker is not being subtle to “educate” all the “Undecided”s as to where everything stands …If there are ZERO Reublicans, and it fails, and after all this SSM-ILGOP dust up, this is not done by accident.

48. - Just Me - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 5:14 pm:

@Concinnatus: Illinois is a republic form of government. We elect our officials to vote on legislation. You should advocate for a constitutional amendment, and then your point will make sense.

49. - Just The Way It Is One - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 6:47 pm:

This one’s going to be a Cliffhanger at best, and apparently, as previous mutterings have indicated, as well as this current report, the proposal may just fall short. Hence, on such an incredibly divided issue, is it really the best thing to push right now? Highly questionable…

50. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 7:16 pm:

–Hence, on such an incredibly divided issue, is it really the best thing to push right now? Highly questionable…–

LOL, nice try.

Supporters want a vote. Hard-core opponents want a vote.

Those who don’t want to vote, don’t want a vote.

But there will be a vote. And it will be recorded.

And that scares some quite a bit.

51. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 13 @ 7:41 pm:

===Supporters want a vote. Hard-core opponents want a vote.

Those who don’t want to vote, don’t want a vote.

But there will be a vote. And it will be recorded===

lol

Too true! That Madigan…

* Another wave of bomb threats includes Chicago's Jewish Community Center
* It's just a bill
* Mendoza takes heat over used car purchase
* Getting to a "win" is important for some Dems
* Bustos won't run for governor
* Charlie Brown's football

* Jim Dey: He’s got a vested interest in state bu.....
* Charlie Brown's football - The Capitol Fax Blog.....
* Illinois schools adapting to new 'asthma emerge.....
* Budget deadline could be problem..
* AFSCME Vote Totals Out Soon..
* Budget deadline could be problem - Champaign/Ur.....
* Jim Dey: He's got a vested interest in state bu.....

* Austria approves US extradition for Ukrainian oligarch
* Former white supremacists help others leave hate groups
* Leaving hate behind: Ex-extremists quit groups, help others
* Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in Illinois
* Austria approves US extradition for Ukrainian oligarch
* EXCHANGE: Cervical cancer survivor pushing for screening
* Illinois State University seeks public input on its future
* Thousands of demonstrators across US say 'Not My President'
* UIS provides shuttle between campus, downtown Springfield
* Deadline looms for Dakota Access pipeline protest camp

* Illinois State University seeks public input on its future
* AFSCME strike authorization vote outcome to be revealed this week
* Cheri Bustos won't run for Illinois governor
* Illinois bill would rein in pro athletes' worker comp claims
* GOP criticizes Illinois comptroller for buying used $32K SUV
* Effort to privatize economic development questioned
* State budget impasse still hurting schools
* DHS moving into former Barney's Furniture store
* Madigan says House will consider sale of Thompson Center
* Bustos, other Dems demand Rauner pay domestic violence money

* Kraft Heinz withdraws $143 billion Unilever bid
* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* The 50 priciest​ home sales of 2016 are here
* Rauner finally weighs in on budget to Capitol laughter and groans
* Springfield's incapacity a threat to all small businesses, including mine

* Body found in Columbus Park pond was west suburban man
* Ankiel says he drank vodka before starts to tame anxiety
* New Trier High employee charged with stealing over $10,000
* Report: Trump administration reveals details of deportation plans
* Trump Tuesday: Says anti-Semitism ‘horrible’ after incidents
* Man shot in Englewood
* Police investigate break-in at Portage Park car dealership
* Apartment fire leaves Westmont building uninhabitable
* No injuries reported in fire that destroyed 2 Naperville homes
* No injuries reported after barricade situation in Austin

* Trump denounces 'horrible' threats against Jewish centers
* Motorcyclist dies after crash with car in Glendale Heights, police say
* Austria approves U.S. extradition for Ukrainian oligarch Dymitro Firtash
* Riots erupt in Sweden's capital after arrest, just days after President Trump comments
* Will it soon be Donald Trump vs. Mike Pence?
* Two charged with drug-induced homicide in DuPage County death
* Dexter Fowler doesn’t back away from comments on Donald Trump's travel ban
* Sammy Sosa feels persecuted over steroid speculation
* Chicago-based organization helps people leave hate groups
* Tesla Model X P100D is the stuff of dreams

» Chicago Cop With Long Complaint History Heads Busy Police District
» Hundreds Protest Trump At Chicago 'Not My President' Rally
» Report: Chicago's African-American Men More Likely To Be Unemployed, Undereducated
» Citizenship Ceremony Held For 25 People At City Hall
» With Eye On Farmers Markets, Lawmakers Target Regulations
» Chicago Aldermen Consider Crackdown On Street Performers
» Gary’s Disappearing Public Schools
» Why Was Rauner Budget Proposal Greeted With Confusion?
» Syrian Family Reunites Three Weeks After Travel Ban
» Man Charged In Shooting Death Of Chicago Toddler

* Illinois State University seeks public input on its future
* Their View: Editorial: Remembering Bob Michel
* Kathleen Parker: Meet Rick. Meet the football. Hike!
* AFSCME strike authorization vote outcome to be revealed this week
* Cheri Bustos won't run for Illinois governor
* Illinois bill would rein in pro athletes' worker comp claims
* Their View: Why aren't Illinoisans blocking traffic in front of their Capitol?
* GOP criticizes Illinois comptroller for buying used $32K SUV
* Bernard Schoenburg: Dems eye Rodney Davis, who expects the challenge
* Effort to privatize economic development questioned

* Who's in the news? Jill Lain Weaver and Shannon Prantner
* Early blast of spring fever in metro-east could come with a price
* Early warm weather brings anxiety for growers
* Man robs U.S. Bank on Washington Avenue in Alton Tuesday morning
* School community raises $5,000 for local teacher who has cancer
* Power out after car hits pole
* Power out in west Normal after car hits pole
* Podcast: Retired Federal Judge David Bernthal 02/21/17
* UI service workers ratify new contract
* News agencies seek details on tool feds used to unlock iPhone

* Silver Cross receives Gold Medal accreditations for radiology
* Yahoo salvages Verizon deal with $350 million discount
* Wal-Mart earnings fall, but online sales surge
* Austria approves US extradition for Ukrainian oligarch
* Out-of-service commuter train accident near Philly; 4 hurt

* Group upset with Trump wants Town Hall mee...
* Hultgren updates work on heroin, opioid ab...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren talks veterans' iss...
* McHenry County Progressives meeting featur...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren reflects on busines...
* GOP congressman appears to distance himsel...
* US Representative Randy Hultgren visits ne...
* Hultgren guides STEM scholars through pres...
* Hultgren criticizes immigration ban, Roska...
* US Congressman tours new Aurora Specialty ...

* Durbin broadens factors in considering Tru......
* Durbin breaks silence on Trump's travel ba......

* GW: Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth to speak......
* GW: Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth to speak......
* GW: Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth to speak......
* GW: Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth to speak......
* GW: Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth to speak......

* Keeping retirement weird. Betsy DeVos and racial education gaslighting.
* Tony at the Red Line Tap.
* Today’s Hitting Left playlist.
* Gentrifying Chicago. CPS now targets Hispanic schools.
* Reforming civil discovery – Part 1 – the problem of human nature
* Trayvon Martin’s parents on their book Rest in Power, Brown Girls premiere, and more things to do in Chicago this week
* Hundreds gather for ‘Not My President’ rally outside Trump Tower, and other Chicago news
* My Chocolate Soul Finds Its Home On Broadway
* Construction Updates On Maryville (Now "811 Uptown") Online
* SportsMonday: Now It's Northwestern's Turn

* Governor Takes Bill Action
* 2017 Budget Address
* Rauner, Lawmakers Move to Protect Taxpayers from Inmate Legal Bills
* Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs Announcednew pilot program titled Tiny Boots
* Governor Rauner Attends Illinois National Guard Deployment Ceremony

* Travel app Hopper will now break down airlines’ confusing fees
* HTC U Ultra in India for Rs. 59,990, U Play for Rs. 39,990
* Latest round of iPhone 8 speculation details ‘3D-sensing’ front camera, RAM and ROM options
* Hands-on photos show off Moto G5 with new design and fingerprint gestures
* Sprint Galaxy S7 generation snags Android Nougat
* Huawei makes Honor V9 official in China with everything from 6GB RAM to 3D modeling dual camera
* Apple Patents Avatar Creation App That Can Place Digital Versions of You in Messages and FaceTime

* This is not a typo: Soto throws to Soto during BP
* Garcia driven to reclaim outfield spot
* Garcia driven to reclaim outfield spot
* Bourjos enticed to White Sox by weather, opportunity
* Bourjos enticed to White Sox by opportunity, locale
* Renteria expects bright future for White Sox
* Top pick Burdi White Sox closer of future?