Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x1 - Madigan responds *** Hot or not, or just not appropriate?
*** UPDATED x1 - Madigan responds *** Hot or not, or just not appropriate?

Friday, Apr 5, 2013

* From ABC News

President Obama assessed the beauty of California’s attorney general Kamala Harris, calling her “the best looking attorney general,” during remarks at a fundraiser in Atherton, California.

“You have to be careful to, first of all, say she is brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you’d want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake. She also happens to be by far the best-looking attorney general in the country — Kamala Harris is here.”

“It’s true! C’mon,” he said as the crowd laughed, according to a report provided by a print reporter at the home of John Goldman, an heir to the Levi-Strauss fortune.

“And she is a great friend and has just been a great supporter for many, many years. She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated,” Obama said at a luncheon fundraiser benefiting the DNC.

AG Harris…

* I asked Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s spokesperson for comment. Unfortunately, AG Madigan is tied up in meetings, so we may not get a response.

Imagine that.

This is one of the better photos I could find of AG Madigan…

Discuss.

*** UPDATE *** From Attorney General Lisa Madigan…

“Kamala is terrific. But if you ask me, I’d vote for Jack Conway. But let’s be honest, there’s not a lot of competition—there’s a reason people say elected office is ‘Hollywood for ugly people.’ Have you seen some of my predecessors??!?”

Some of her predecessors…

Heh.

1. - just sayin' - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:38 am:

Guess Michelle wasn’t there when he said it.

2. - benji - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:40 am:

If it’s a choice between those two pictures than I would have to agree with POTUS.

3. - justbabs - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:42 am:

I will reference a comment by Roger Ebert, when someone commented on disfigured appearance, he pointed out that ugly is in the mind - not in the body. A man with two daughters should know better than to comment on physical characteristics. It’s disappointing, nothing more.

4. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:42 am:

John Mitchell set the standard. After him, they’re all playing for second place.

5. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:44 am:

Ummm, I think the by far thing is a bit unfair…

Minnesota

Florida

6. - benji - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:46 am:

Mmmm, Pam Bondi :)

7. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:46 am:

It’s something actual human beings notice and remark on all the time. But I suppose it’s not appropriate for POTUS to be human in the same way. He doesn’t have the luxury of private thoughts or opinions. He should know better and use the edit feature in his brain next time.

Having said that, is this really a newsworthy remark?

8. - PublicServant - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:47 am:

It’s not the smartest thing he’s ever said, but it sure beats ‘legitimate rape’ on the stupid comment scale.

9. - Amalia - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:48 am:

“hot or not…” come on. stop it.

as for the president, he can stop it as well.

try, try, try, women as well as men, to judge others in public life by the content of their brain, not by their appearance.

10. - Meanderthal - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:49 am:

My wife says I am an old coot when I say this, but I think that women politicians in Illinois do better if they not try to look to glamorous or done up. Lisa Madigan, Tony Periwinkle, and Sheila Simon have all cultivated that serious librarian look and have the media and sycophants slobbering all over them without really having to be very good at their jobs.
    Judy Barr Topinka might look the cashier at a Berwyn diner, but its suits her authentic personality just right.

11. - Skeeter - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:49 am:

Anybody wondering why so many people find liberals annoying need read no further than some of the reactions to the President’s comment. Salon may have been the most appalled but there were others.

They act like the comment on her appearance will put all women back in the kitchen and may destroy all progress made in the past 100 years.

We are allowed to be human. He called her brilliant. He called her dedicated. He called her tough. Also calling her good looking is not going to do any damage.

12. - Anon - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:49 am:

I’d hit that

13. - MrJM - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:52 am:

Samuel D. Lockwood had such dreamy eyes.

– MrJM

14. - Loop Lady - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:55 am:

Aw, c’mon Rich! This post just perpetuates the idea that women are only as good as their looks.

15. - anon sequitor - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:55 am:

When someone comments that my daughter is smart and a hard worker, I’m proud. When someone says she’s good looking too, I smile even more.

I guess I’m old school just like Skeeter. There is no damage here, move on.

16. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:57 am:

Quite ironically, FLOTUS was quoted the same day as describing herself as “a hardworking single mother.”

Might be a good weekend to fly out to Camp David.

17. - Kasich Walker, Jr. - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 10:58 am:

Is this part of fundraising pols like or dislike?

18. - Fed up - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:00 am:

Much ado about nothing. In general we make to much out of innocent remarks. I disagree with the president on several issues but he is correct here.

19. - wayward - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:01 am:

Probably not the smartest thing to say, but not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

20. - Been There - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:01 am:

===Guess Michelle wasn’t there when he said it.==

Maybe she was!!

—First lady Michelle Obama slipped up in a local TV interview Thursday and accidentally called herself a “single mother.”—

21. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:02 am:

I think the issue is that it is always women leaders whose looks are mentioned and compared. Why not post pics of Dillard, Rutherford, Schock, Rauner, etc and discuss who is better looking?

22. - benji - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:03 am:

-Might be a good weekend to fly out to Camp David.-

eww

23. - ZC - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:04 am:

Anon, in Rich’s defense there was some story years back ranking the nation’s best looking governors (Rod was in the conversation) and Rich did post about that too.

24. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:05 am:

Anon seq, I think the same way that you do about my daughters. It’s true, they’re beautiful and don’t look like old AA.

But we’re not the President, and we have to choose our remarks carefully when we’re talking about other guys’ daughters or we sound like a creep.

25. - The Muse - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:07 am:

Notice that POTUS made sure to follow-up with she’s a long-time friend and supporter. Last time I checked, complimenting a female friend on how nice she looks on any given day has been appreciated by my female friends. If you compliment a female friend when she gets a new haircut, for instance, I think she would be appreciative not just because she’s glad someone thinks it looks nice, but because someone noticed.

26. - Been There - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:07 am:

Biondi may be good looking but since she is a republican I don’t think Obama’s other comments in praise of being a friend and supporter would apply.

27. - siriusly - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:08 am:

Great topic, but to be honest. Attorneys General are not my type.

28. - Small Town Liberal - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:09 am:

- women leaders whose looks are mentioned and compared -

Schock got quite a bit of attention on this. Then again, I wouldn’t classify him as a leader so maybe you’re right.

29. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:10 am:

LOL, Aaron Schock takes his shirt off for the cameras more than Matthew McConaghy.

Paul Ryan likes shots of him working out and swimming.

When he was running for governor, Mitt Romney famously did a TV spot that featured him shirtless.

30. - Just Observing - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:10 am:

As pointed out by OneMan — Pam Bondi was the first that came to my mind — but also as BeenThere points out she is a Republican.

31. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:13 am:

Well, let’s not forget Ty Fahner was AG lol.

32. - Just Observing - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:13 am:

The update would have been so much more entertaining had Lisa Madigan call Kamala Harris the B-word.

33. - Irish - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:14 am:

“Much ado about nothing”

If the comment were made at a presser or to national news media maybe a littl tiny deal. But it was made at a fundraiser. I have been to many fundraisers where comments are made that might not fly in a public setting. Isn’t that the reason celebrities and higher level politicians are invited to these things? They are there so the people who paid through the nose can see a more personable side of them. Where the hair is let down a little and donors get to feel like they connect. And flattering comments about candidates is the norm. If they came out and gave a cookie cutter sound bite they probably wouldn’t be invited back. Too bad the press doesn’t realize that.

34. - siriusly - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:15 am:

The national AG association website is crashing as we all try to compare their pictures.

Upon further review, the President is wrong. The Pennsylvania AG is the best looking of the bunch.

35. - Small Town Liberal - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:17 am:

Good humored response from AG Madigan, kudos to her.

36. - Kasich Walker, Jr. - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:21 am:

What’s next: a swimsuit competition featuring ALL the AGs?

(Bring back Big Jim.)

37. - the Patriot - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:22 am:

Another example of how the AG is just a joke.

38. - Dave Dahl - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:24 am:

At least the President was not quoted as using the terms “AGILF” or “va-va-VOOM” !!

39. - Norseman - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:25 am:

A non-critical comment about the AG from STL. I’m shocked. That’s not in keeping with the continued bashing of all opponents and critics of Quinn.

Obama’s comment needs to be placed in the oops, but no big deal category.

40. - Chris - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:25 am:

Query the response if Gavin Newsome had been there and POTUS called him the “by far best-looking lt. governor in the country”. Which is at least as true as what he said about Harris.

41. - Responsa - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:25 am:

If SNL this week does not create a catfight sketch among and featuring the nation’s female AG’s I will be very very disappointed.

42. - LincolnLounger - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:25 am:

I don’t think it’s a huge deal, but I also believe that it would have been received much differently if a Republican President made comments like that.

43. - Plutocrat03 - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:27 am:

How thin skinned can you be?

To call someone smart, as well as attractive is a bad thing?

This PC stuff is just so dumb.

44. - soccermom - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:27 am:

Nicely played by the AG. And here’s the link to the shirtless Romney commercial (although, spoiler alert, he’s fully dressed through most of it.)

45. - John A Logan - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:31 am:

The entire discussion surrounding the remark from President Obama is stupid. I am offended by people that are professionally offended. This is a prime example.

46. - benji - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:31 am:

Obama has better taster in AGs than Clinton did.

47. - Dirty Red - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:31 am:

If only I had a dollar for everyone that just Googled “Jack Conway”…

48. - benji - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:32 am:

…er, taste :)

49. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:34 am:

Well played, Lisa, well played

50. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:34 am:

Dirty Red, I’ll give you my dollar when I see you next week. lol

51. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:37 am:

He didn’t say she is good looking, he said

“She also happens to be by far the best-looking”

Implying that he is judging her against others in the same role, I think is a little bit different.

Seems to me he would have a bit more sense than to say that.

52. - Responsa - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:42 am:

@John A Logan–For all who are hyperventilating–it is important that we laugh at our politicians. Roundly and regularly.

Politicians, especially those basking in the warm glow of their fundraisers, say stupid inappropriate things they (and their handlers) wish they could take back. They just do. Ask both Mitt Romney and Barack Obama. The public needs to hear and judge these honest unguarded moments– not just the carefully crafted talking points the parties and spokespeople want you to hear.

53. - steve schnorf - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:49 am:

Classy reaction by LM

54. - soccermom - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:53 am:

Benji, you don’t remember Kimba Wood, Bill Clinton’s first choice? http://www.newrochelletalk.com/files/KimbaWood.jpg

55. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:53 am:

- the Patriot -,

===Another example of how the AG is just a joke.===

If the AG is a “joke” then I don’t get “it” …Please, use your “turn signal” during your drive-bys. Thanks.

Well Done AG Madigan, well done!

Witty, with a hint of snark, and history lesson to boot!

I too have to owe Dirty Red a dollar…

56. - Geneva Guy - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:53 am:

We should just let Brent Musberger decide.

57. - Small Town Liberal - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 11:55 am:

- A non-critical comment about the AG from STL. -

I wasn’t aware I’d made any comments critical of the AG.

Your reaction to my comments says more about you than me, Norse.

58. - ChicagoDem - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:13 pm:

what? I was blocked because I said AG Bondi from FL was, in the words of PROTUS, “better looking AG” Geez…sensitive small town folk.

59. - Esquire - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:14 pm:

Quite a TCW magazine cover.

It would be interesting to see a Lisa Madigan “style evolution” slide show. Some may remember Lisa when she had naturally curly hair and favored peasant blouses, skirts and black combat boots. When she ran for office, she dropped the hippie chick fashions, straightened her hair and started wearing more conservative attire. The before and after photos might be dramatic.

60. - Wensicia - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:15 pm:

Well, I wouldn’t appreciate the term “best-looking” publicly added to my list of attributes, but is this a major faux pas? No.

61. - Sgt Schultz - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:15 pm:

A while back, Leno showed a small silent clip of Pres. Obama dancing with a young lady. Then he went and sat by Michelle and his motions were like, “Did you see my moves, honey?” Michelle turned her head in disgust.

Maybe that was the night she became a “single mother”.

62. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:15 pm:

ChicagoDem, you were automatically blocked because you may have accidentally triggered a profanity screen. “Mis-hits” would get around that block.

63. - Michelle Flaherty - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:17 pm:

Ty Fahner certainly didn’t get the job for his understanding of the constitution.

64. - Jaded - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:19 pm:

Wow, I never knew we had that many good looking AG’s in the country. Tough competition for Lisa, but she is easily the best looking constitutional officer in Illinois.

65. - Jaded - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:23 pm:

By the way, I owe a dollar for Conway, Bondi, and Kathleen Kane.

66. - RNUG Fan - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:24 pm:

Ty certainly doesn’t. I wonder if FLOTUS sees hubby as I see our wimpy union leadership.
    Like Hillary she is the one with the better judgment. Anyone who thought Rahm should be fired. She blasted the Illinois political dynasties.
    Micelle Come home and run for Gov!

67. - Publius - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:26 pm:

Yeah, but has the prez seen aaron schock?

68. - Esquire - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:30 pm:

“Tough competition for Lisa, but she is easily the best looking constitutional officer in Illinois.”

But can she play the accordian for the talent portion of the pageant?

Maybe Rich can unearth the “glamor” photo of State Senator Judy Baar Topinka from the Eighties which was included with her Blue Book entry.

69. - phocion - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:40 pm:

Nice response from AG Madigan. There’s a small group of vocal bullies who would censor any mention of someone’s physical appearance. Sorry, but I believe it’s not impolite or improper to do so, and I suspect the vast majority would agree but they’ve been so cowed that they’re afraid to say so.

The President was being complimentary (although not so much to other AG’s) and he certainly was not being sexist. College curricula have done much to poison the minds of young women (and some men) that it is some sort of hate crime to compliment someone for being attractive. I’m old fashioned and intend to say that way…I’ll keep handing out the compliments and don’t care if the PC bullies can’t handle it.

70. - Chicago Cynic - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:55 pm:

Typically self-deprecating response from Lisa. Can’t even call this one a tempest in a teapot. More like a tempest in a tea thimble. P U H L E A S E. And then on the other hand, Lisa’s right. Jack Conway….YUMMY! ;-)

71. - anon - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:58 pm:

from the neck up, lisa has it all over the Cal AG no contest!

72. - Wumpus - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:59 pm:

Rich taking notes from Drudge with the two photos.

73. - dupage dan - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 12:59 pm:

Well, it’s better that POTUS said it than Brent Musburger.

74. - RNUG Fan - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 1:08 pm:

POTUS is going all Mike Madigan and Pat Quinn on Soc Sec COLAS now . Leave him Micelle you can do better

75. - no lumber - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 1:10 pm:

= Kimba Wood =

Monica hair!

76. - CircularFiringSquad - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 1:10 pm:

CalGal is nothing special. IL wins again.

77. - UISer - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 1:42 pm:

How big is the White House couch exactly?

78. - the Patriot - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 1:51 pm:

Willy,

She is the AG, daughter of the Speaker, and considering a run at Governor. Instead of looking at how her office is costing us millions due to her disorganization and incompetence, or the fact she acts as an arm of the Speaker we are talking about a beauty contest.

But hey, a beauty contest is much better then discussing how she plans to abandon 30 years of her fathers work and fix the state when she becomes Governor.

Not one reporter in the state has to guts to publicly ask her what her plan is to fix the state since what her father has obviously failed.

Like I said a joke…

But in all fairness the republicans are a joke, just not funny.

79. - Sonic Infidel - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 1:53 pm:

Putting aside the issue of who is the best-looking AG in the nation, it kind of bothers me as a man when other men give public honors to a woman and feel the need to slip in a comment about how attractive she is. Isn’t it enough that a woman is successful and does her job well? Why must we always make her looks part of the equation. It usually feels like the speaker is trying to flirt with the woman to whom he is giving praise, and depending on how it’s done, it can feel as though the speaker is implying that the woman’s looks are an element of her success. I think it’s inappropriate and subtly sexist, and it always bugs me when I observe it in the General Assembly.

There. I’ve said my piece. Feel free to ridicule me now.

80. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 1:59 pm:

–Shame on Barack!…I’ll bet he’s in the doghouse all weekend. You. Go. Michele. Sasha. Malia. –

“I come in last night about half past ten, that baby of mine wouldn’t let me in…

…so move it on over…. rock it over…. move over little dog, the big old dog’s moving in….”

81. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 2:06 pm:

- the Patriot -,

First, Attorney General Madigan did not make this about herself, or her beauty, or a beauty contest. The Attorney General responded, and responded with class, humor, snark, and some history.

Responded.

Further, unlike Rauner or others in either party for ANY OFFICE, Attorney General Madigan is not on any listening tours, spouting off, or sending trial balloons pertaining to policy, to campaigns, or even about other candidates.

Publically. Today.

Lisa Madigan made a witty quip, about something she had nothing to do with in any way. Your drive-by, and your second response about “her father”, in the context of … the Dopey idea of comparing AGs is … a bit of a joke, actually.

Sometimes, it just about “the moment”.

You want to discuss Lisa Madigan’s stance on anything she announces, has done, doing, will do, or never did… you will get your chance.

Then you can do the “drive-by” about Lisa, “her Dad”, “Fire Madigan”, “Conspriacy” … whatever.

Just please, … use your “turn signal”.

82. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 2:08 pm:

What is going on in the WH? Care to speculate?

CBS News: Discussing the struggle many parents face in balancing work and home life, the first lady reached for an empathetic tone, beginning, “Believe me, as a busy single mother…or, I shouldn’t say ’single’ - as a busy mother…” She seemed to catch her flub almost immediately. “You know, when you’ve got the husband who’s president, it can feel a little single, but he’s there,” she clarified of her husband, President Barack Obama.

83. - Cincinnatus - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 2:28 pm:

I find this whole thread kinda unseemly, including Obama’s initial comment.

84. - Colossus - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 2:34 pm:

== I don’t think the President came off that way. I do find it ironic that some of the media outlets that have barely laid a glove on him on more substantive matters (e.g. Salon, Gawker) are beating him hard over this. ==

Arther Andersen - You’re not a Salon reader then. They are not, by any stretch of the imagination, Obama cheerleaders there (Joan Walsh excluded, she’s pretty terrible). Civil liberties and War on (Some) Drugs issues are regularly on the front page. It’s not as strong as consistent as when Glenn Greenwald was writing for them, but it’s no Kool-Aid convention either. In fact, outside of DNC-related institutions, I don’t find a lot of “lefties” who are super-happy with the President apart from a comparison to Romney.

85. - Both Sides Now - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 2:35 pm:

It probably was not appropriate for the President to make the remark. That being said, the photo of Lisa on the magazine cover looks like she was photo-shopped into it. Honestly folks, she is pretty dowdy looking/dressing. Between the three women in Illinois’ statewide elected offices right now Judy has more style and panache’. However, looks have nothing to do with the ability to do the job.

86. - Dan Shields, Springfield - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 2:46 pm:

If he was doing his job instead of campaigning (which is all he knows how to do) on the taxpayers dime this would not be a story. It’s his 2nd term, is he ever going to start doing his job?

87. - LisleMike - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 2:50 pm:

POTUS= uncool comment
    AG Lisa = cool comment
    Cinci = spot on comment

88. - walkinfool - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

Hey Dan Shields, just keep driving on by.

Your comment is false on time spent working the office, and ridiculous in relation to the documented practices of your heroic Bush JR and Reagan.

Amazing what people make up to comfort themselves, after losing on the merits twice.

89. - Wensicia - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 3:18 pm:

Tribune is reporting Obama apologized to AG Harris for the comment.

90. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 3:25 pm:

You mean Roland Burris wasn’t sexy?

91. - the Patriot - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 3:55 pm:

Willy,

Many parts of IL have unemployment almost double the national average. If she wants to be taken seriously, perhaps a comment about how she is focused on solving our problems instead of trying to be cute.

If you want to vote for her because she is witty and cute, go for it. But we elected Quinn for the same reasons and look where that landed us.

92. - Demoralized - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 3:59 pm:

@the Patriot:

First of all you throw out garbage about disorganization and incompetence and provide no substance to back up the comment. Second, if you want to whine about her name keep on doing it. How’d that Fire Madigan thing work out last election. Third, you seem a bit to bitter. It’s Friday. Lighten up Francis.

93. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 4:02 pm:

- the Patriot -,

There is a post about how much $$$ Lisa raised last month. I think your

===…taken seriously, perhaps a comment about how she is focused on solving our problems…===

…would actually have relevence, as opposed to this post.

It might even make you feel better …

94. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 4:07 pm:

Patriot, “we elected Quinn because..witty and cute..”

Whatever the reasons for PQ’s election, that weren’t them.

95. - LisleMike - Friday, Apr 5, 13 @ 4:14 pm:

Patriot- your feelings are noted, but not realative to this discussion. I may even share some of the same with you, but by using drive by techniques doesn’t fit the threads. Save it for a day where specific issues are discussed, not one on perceived physical attractiveness of Attorneys General.

* Brady makes some unusual appointments to discrimination and harassment task force
* Pritzker sues endorser, deletes ad she appeared in
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Candidate announcement
* Best tweet of the day
* Roskam race moved to "Toss Up" by Cook Political Report
* Kennedy lashes out at Emanuel, while Pritzker takes a softer approach
* Rauner refuses to weigh in on federal tax legislation
* Reports: Former Munger firm gets $12.5 million no-bid contract after a $12 million payment was frozen by Mendoza
* "Every time I see a little kid waving I always try to wave back"
* Londrigan, EMILY's List stand by their false statements
* In praise of Mary Ann Ahern
* George Will: Illinois "approaching a death spiral"
* Rauner urged to sign education funding "cleanup" bill
* Republican Party wants Durbin, Duckworth to give away Franken's cash
* Open thread

* In Illinois, battle over bankrupting 'blue mode.....
* Opinion/Column: Battle looms over ruinous polit.....
* GEORGE WILL: In Illinois, a looming battle over.....
* George Will: In Illinois, a looming battle over.....
* George Will: In Illinois, a looming battle over.....
* George Will: In Illinois, a looming battle over.....

* Backers hope Route 66 historic designation can drive tourism
* EXCHANGE: UI lab has watched children grow for 75 years
* EXCHANGE: Hit by train, Highland teen has amazing recovery
* Chicago-area school chief who is to resign denies harassment
* Ex-Merrillville councilman admits guilt in bribery case
* Newspaper investigation finds Illinois raffle irregularities
* Newspaper investigation finds Illinois raffle irregularities
* $80M Mississippi River bridge opens from Illinois to Iowa
* $80M Mississippi River bridge opens from Illinois to Iowa
* New temporary US attorney named for central Illinois

* Electric cars, better fuel efficiency spell doom for Illinois gas tax
* Springfield wants out of legislation limiting payments for 5G antennas
* Fact check: Are Gov. Rauner's grandparents immigrants?
* Londrigan accused of attacking Davis for 'opposite' of remarks
* Gov. Rauner signs sex harassment legislation
* Under the Dome Podcast: Governor's race, sexual harassment, Rodney Davis
* Macoupin Co. highway renamed in honor of soldier who died in Vietnam
* Macoupin Co. highway renamed in honor of solder who died in Vietnam
* Schoenburg: Rep. Davis leads new caucus, pleased with White House access
* Rep. Davis leads new caucus, pleased with White House access

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* Here's how Baker McKenzie profits from offshore tax system
* Cards Against Humanity works to maintain its naughtiness
* The either/or world of Cards Against Humanity: Funny or Die
* Why do people give? Not for the tax break.

* Police: 68-year-old man killed in hit-and-run crash in Logan Square
* Dear Abby: He can’t drive, but his grown children won’t visit, help
* Sheriff: Man battered firefighters trying to extinguish his car fire
* Woman, 24, wounded in drive-by shooting on South Side
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Nov. 19, 2017
* Spokeswoman: David Cassidy in hospital with organ failure
* ‘SNL’ host Chance the Rapper creates a new Thanksgiving anthem
* 4 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings
* MAP: Chicago weekend shootings tracker for Nov. 17 – 20
* Man charged with stabbing off-duty CPD officer in ‘domestic incident’

* Sandhill cranes bounce back from brink as migration over Illinois to peak next week
* Receptive Ryan: Scianna's TD catch lifts Lincoln-Way East into state finals
* Maine South proud, upbeat about future after loss in state semis
* 3 wounded in shootings on South, West sides
* Mar-a-Lago's new winter season: The Red Cross Ball is out, and 'Trumpettes USA' are in
* Zimbabweans say Mugabe must quit now, but more talks planned
* Argentina says it may have received signals from missing sub carrying 44 crew members
* LaToya Cantrell will become first woman mayor in New Orleans' history
* From scout team to leading rusher: Rhys Logan helps Loyola reach 8A final
* Lena Dunham under fire after defending 'Girls' writer accused of sexual assault

» State Week: Are Voters Thinking About 2018?
» Legislative Checklist: Veto Session

* Jim Dixon: It is time for a fair tax for Illinois
* Our View: It’s time for decision on YWCA block
* Electric cars, better fuel efficiency spell doom for Illinois gas tax
* Ed Rogers: A Clinton special counsel won't help Republicans in 2018
* Guest View: Rural health care providers deserve our thanks
* Springfield wants out of legislation limiting payments for 5G antennas
* Fact check: Are Gov. Rauner's grandparents immigrants?

* Anselm: Quad-City Times prepares largest edition of the year - 100s of pages of deals, coupons
* UPDATED: waterway advisories remain for northern counties
* Michelle N. Rollins
* Max Owens
* Jody Spaniol
* Holiday obituary hours
* Merton Edward Thayer Jr.
* Nick D. Bartlow
* Billy Dean Gibbs
* Robert D. Bell

* Missouri wins fifth straight to become bowl eligible
* Mavericks stop 4-game slide with win against Bucks
* Herbert returns, Oregon beats Arizona 48-28
* Boys bowling: Scouting Lake County
* Officials: McHenry County jail inmate's death under investigation

* DOJ to ban US lawmakers should Duterte ord...
* Hultgren whishes McHenry County College a ...
* Hultgren and Ruppersberger: Protect infras...
* Shaun Alexander: I'm amazed by the authori...
* Hultgren, Roskam help deliver tax bill for...
* This RSS feed URL is deprecated
* Rep. Randy Hultgren congratulates McHenry ...
* 3 suburban GOP reps provide crucial votes ...
* US lawmakers to Duterte: 'Sovereignty does...
* Panel encourages women to consider careers...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* Meet Your 20th District Officers On Argyle in Sunday/Monday Events
* Randi Weingarten’s secret meeting with Steve Bannon.
* Believe women.
* SNL Watch Party at SMG-Chatham
* The Weekend Desk Report
* The Weekend In Chicago Rock
* The Week In Chicago Rock
* Sunday week in review.
* Keeping retirement weird. Our Miss Brooks.
* SportsMonday: Peak Bears

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Google Pixel 2 bootloader issues, iPhone X fixes & more – Pocketnow Daily
* [Sponsored] Take advantage of Tomtop’s electric treadmill flash sale!
* NFL may expand match livestreaming away from Verizon phones
* Razer Hammerhead USB-C earbuds designed to compliment Razer Phone
* Honor V10 specs reportedly include headphone jack, slightly smaller battery
* The Razer Phone is now available at select Microsoft Stores
* HomePod unceremoniously delayed until early 2018

* Sporcle Saturday: Top player performances
* LIVE: MLB Awards unveiled on Network
* White Sox face roster call on Clarkin, 6 more
* Thyago Vieira brings missing heat to White Sox bullpen battle
* MLB Awards grand finale (7 CT, MLB Network)
* White Sox trade for hard-throwing Vieira