Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Rep. Moffitt loses 100 pounds, keeps it off
Rep. Moffitt loses 100 pounds, keeps it off

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

* Rep. Don Moffitt (R-Gilson) is my new hero. He sent me this e-mail today…

Dear Rich,

You indicated that you would like to have a “before” and “after” picture of my weight loss efforts, which I have enclosed. The “before” or heavy picture, was at the start of my weight loss journey in December of 2011, and the “after” or lighter picture was taken in January 2013, when I reached my personal goal of losing 100 lbs. I have been able to maintain my new reduced weight since January of 2013.

You also asked me to explain how I was able to lose the weight. In order to reach my goal of losing at least 100 lbs., I consulted with my family doctor and developed my own plan which was to have a target goal of approximately 1,500 calories per day, but never more than 2,000 calories per day. In addition, I wear a pedometer and try to walk 10,000 steps per day, which is about three miles.

There are also many very good, healthy, low-calorie snack items that have been helpful to me. These include products or snack bars made by The Quaker Oats Company, Kellogg’s and Nature Valley, to name a few. The important thing for me was to keep track of my total daily calorie intake with the goal of being between 1,500 and 2,000.

Also, “fast food” does not necessarily mean “fat food” since some restaurants do an outstanding job of listing calories on their menu boards. I frequently eat at McDonalds and stay within my calorie goal. I also eat healthy snacks like baby carrots, fruits, vegetables and peanuts, but always watch my total daily calorie intake.

Losing 100 lbs. in about one year has not been an easy journey, but it has been a worthwhile one. If I can do it, then I know anyone can do it! At my heaviest weight, I was on medications for high blood pressure, cholesterol and would have probably soon needed medication for diabetes. Now I am being phased off of all medications. In addition, I no longer have sleep apnea.

I have been talking with Senator Martin Sandoval and with lobbyist Betsy Mitchell, who have both been very successful in their recent weight loss efforts. The three of us are exploring the possibility of starting a new caucus next spring to encourage a healthier life style for all of us serving in Springfield.

Sincerely,

Don Moffitt
State Representative
74th District

As everyone at the Statehouse knows, Rep. Moffitt looks great. I’m gonna have to join that new caucus.

* Rep. Moffitt before…

* After…

Amazing.

Discuss.

1. - Anonymous - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:01 am:

Congratulations. That’s a huge feat.

And he did it right. I am doing the same thing- actually eating the same amount as well (1500 calories) and have lost 45 lbs in 7 months.

A new caucus would be an interesting idea. Obesity is such a huge problem in our country that touches everyone in some way. All it takes is a little dedication and hard work.

2. - 3rd Generation Chicago Native - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:01 am:

Congrats Rep Moffit, someone who lost a lot of weight with a lot of discipline and not surgery.

3. - Chitownhv - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:01 am:

Sign me up! This is one GOP sponsored plan that I’d enthusiastically follow and support. I could stand to lose a 100 lbs myself.

4. - Scott Ives - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:06 am:

As a former federal prosecutor and confederate sympathizer all I can say is congrats!

5. - siriusly - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:06 am:

Congratulations Representative Moffit you look great. Such a nice guy and always professional to deal with. A great example.

6. - frank - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:07 am:

Good for him. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. A real gentleman.

7. - Jak Tichenor - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:08 am:

Way to go!

8. - reformer - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:13 am:

I’m proud of Don, one the most considerate guys in the House.

9. - Frenchie Mendoza - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:15 am:

Thanks for posting this. A great story — great tips.

Congrats!

10. - Concerned Observer - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:17 am:

Not too “Concerned” about this guy’s health. Congratulations!

11. - Joe M. - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:17 am:

Good for you Representative Moffit!

12. - Stones - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:21 am:

That’s admirable!

A few years ago I did South Beach and dropped 35 lbs in about 3 months. Unfortunately, I have put some of it back on but losing the weight definitely helped with the blood pressure and sleep apnea.

The bad part was that all of my pants needed to be taken in and I looked like I was wearing my Dad’s suits.

13. - wordslinger - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:26 am:

That takes a lot of courage, patience and commitment. Very inspiring. The longest journey starts with the first step.

14. - Jim - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:28 am:

Fabulous job. He’s a great example for others to follow.

15. - dupage dan - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:33 am:

Dat Rep is Phat!

Actually, trying to lose a chunk of weight myself. Kudos to the good man!

16. - Anonymous - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:38 am:

Great effort! Great accomplishment!

17. - Shore - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:44 am:

Great story. Now get him on the 2014 ticket.

18. - just me - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:45 am:

It takes great discipline to take the journey. You are what you eat and perception is reality. You look great.

19. - Jake from Elwood - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:50 am:

Good job Don.
    It is hard to lose weight and I congratulate those who do it the old fashioned way.

20. - nieva - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:51 am:

Now that’s something to be proud of!!

21. - Nearly Normal - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:54 am:

Just the inspiration I need to kick-start my own weight loss plan. I have been rather haphazard on the portion control and total calories these past few days. Too much celebrating last night after the Cubs beat the Sox!

22. - anon - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:56 am:

he just described weight watchers. well done, Don!!

23. - Loop Lady - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 11:56 am:

It’s really easy to fall into bad habits such as eating and drinking too much when in Springpatch.

There should be alternatives after hours for for folks who still want to network away from bars and restaurants.

How many hors douvres and drink parties can you go to before the results show up on your waistline?

Then there’s the bores that drink too much and are too loud…

Great job Rep. Moffitt!

24. - Anonymous - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 12:21 pm:

Great story, congrats. One quibble — unless you’re about 4 feet tall, 10,000 steps is about five miles.

25. - Waffle Fries - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 12:22 pm:

Session schedule does not lend itself to healthy eating and exercise habits. Props to Rep Moffit for having the willpower and focus to be a healthier person!

26. - L.S. - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 12:24 pm:

Good for him. Moffitt is genuinely good guy.

27. - Ruby - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 12:42 pm:

People who live an unhealthy lifestyle are costing this country billions of dollars in prescription drugs and other health care costs.

Frequent eating at McDonalds and relying on snack bars from Quaker Oats, Kellogg’s and Nature Valley does not suggest that Moffitt has developed healthy eating habits.

Weight loss only works when it leads to an overall health plan of exercise and eating a whole food diet which includes making an effort to eliminate refined sugar and flour.

Now I must admit that I have never had a weight problem, but also that I have always followed a healthy exercise and diet plan.

28. - Dan Bureaucrat - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 12:42 pm:

Thanks so much for sharing your story, Representative. We should all be talking about healthier lifestyles!

Persistence and commitment are traits I highly value. There are rarely short cuts in life, especially for good health!

29. - gadget_geek - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 12:55 pm:

This is a great story! It really does all come down to burning more calories than you’re taking in. To know what you’re taking in does require some sort of counting. With the prevalence of smartphones this is now easier than ever. There are numerous good applications to pick from so I won’t plug one in particular. Many have a huge database of items, including store brands and restaurants.

30. - ??? - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 12:58 pm:

Ruby, weight loss “works” when you consume less calories than your body needs to maintain the current weight. It appears that is what the representative is doing. Rep. Moffitt IS walking (is that not exercise??), he didn’t say he was ONLY eating McDonald’s and Quaker Oats bars, etc. Besides, his blood pressure and cholesterol have come down…can’t you just say “good job” or just keep your mouth shut? A 100-lb. weight loss in a reasonable period of time is commendable.

31. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:06 pm:

Ruby, don’t be such a clueless hater.

32. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:12 pm:

I mean, seriously, you bemoan the obesity problem and then rail on a guy who list 100 pounds and kept it off? Why kind if a human are you anyway?

33. - Learning the Ropes - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:17 pm:

Classy Ruby. Last week of session and you try and make a light post a battlefield. Next you’ll be criticizing Rich’s puppy rearing methods…

(THEN we’ll see a war.)

34. - Down South - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:21 pm:

Rudy, This was such a good read. But in the good ole USA we get pulled back to the real world by readers like you. Good Job Rep. Moffitt.

35. - Bill - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:26 pm:

Fill in the Blanks - Dieting Calculator

36. - Bill - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:26 pm:

Calorie Counter for any Food

37. - LadyKane - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:34 pm:

Congrats to Rep. Moffitt. You are an inspiration. Great attitude gets greater results and you are a prime example of that.

38. - publicpolicyperson - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:37 pm:

Way to go dude! Incorporate some exercise!

39. - publicpolicyperson - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:46 pm:

Ride a bike for 30 minutes as a warm up and lift weights for about 45 minutes every other day! Go slow at first! You can do it!

40. - dupage dan - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:50 pm:

Don’t be so hard on Ruby. This person is trying to point out information that is very hard to get ahold of and you’all are doing a smack down. I mean, c’mon, it’s a public service to do all that hard research to find out how to lose weight, keep it off and get/stay healthy. Kudos/Snark

41. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 1:57 pm:

Rep. Moffitt,

My congratulations, well done. You should be proud of your accomplishment, and I am pulling for you as you continue for the long haul.

Kudos!

42. - Ruby - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 2:00 pm:

Rich @ 1:12 p.m.

Sorry I offended you. I really take my health and my family’s health very seriously. If I may suggest to those who would like a simple eating plan that does not include counting calories check out Dr. Gott’s No Flour, No Sugar Diet.

43. - Dark Side of the Moon - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 2:07 pm:

Rep. Moffitt looks great! There is no magic pill out there that just melt away the pounds. It takes dedication - smarter food choices and increasing your activity level.

44. - Gunderstank - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 2:29 pm:

He’s always been great to work with, and this is yet another reason to admire a very likeable guy. Congratulations!

45. - Capitol View - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 2:33 pm:

Sid Mathias must have been taking you to high calorie restaurants these past fifteen years! Just kidding - tell him of your achievement, if you haven’t already done so.

46. - Langhorne - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 2:48 pm:

Veterans would often tell the new members, “you cant eat every egg roll put in front of you”. Legislators can also have a “freshman fifteen”.

47. - One of the 35 - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 2:57 pm:

Way to go Don! And it made you better looking too!

48. - Don Gwinn - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 3:03 pm:

Ruby, I’ve lost 85 pounds in the last ten months using a combination of exercise and a very-low-carbohydrate diet. I’ve never heard of Dr. Gott’s variant, but I don’t eat sugars and I don’t eat starches. I eat more vegetables than the typical Atkins dieter, but mostly things like peppers, onions, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower….no carrots, potatoes, etc.
    I don’t eat at McDonald’s, I don’t eat granola or other “snack bars.”

All that has worked for me, yes. But it hasn’t worked for Rep. Moffitt. He chose to restrict calories and add exercise instead. Did he fail or succeed? Well, he’s taken a huge amount of weight off his joints and freed up a lot of strain on his circulatory system, which seems successful.
    He was hypertensive enough to need controlling medications, and now he’s not.
    His cholesterol levels were bad enough to require management with medication, and now they’re not.
    He was apparently pre-diabetic, and now he’s apparently not.
    How are you managing to argue with success?

49. - Anonymous - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 3:08 pm:

What an inspiration…and, leading by example.

50. - Anonymiss - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 3:48 pm:

Way to go, Rep. Moffitt. There are thousands of weight loss programs out there that promise success, but what you described is always best: eat better, move more, repeat. And bonus for sharing your story and inspiring others to do the same!

51. - titan - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 4:49 pm:

Having done the calorie restrictive stuff several times (along with my lovely bride of many decades), we’ve found them difficult to sustain on a permanent basis.
    We finally had good success with a nutrition program that pushed vegetables and fruits, and steers largely away from animal products and completely away from processed anything (much like Fuhrman’s “Eat to Live” program.

52. - Susiejones - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 5:20 pm:

I live in Rep. Moffitt’s district and have watched his weight loss journey. We are proud of him and congratulate him on his accomplishment!

53. - Just a Citizen - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 6:26 pm:

Way to go Rep Moffitt! You are an inspiration to others.

54. - RNUG Fan - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 8:35 pm:

I have know Don for years. This is good news. I lost a lots of weight when I was young on a limited fats food diet.
    I need to lose it again I went vegetarian which has been great for cholesterol but ..

55. - Steamer - Tuesday, May 28, 13 @ 9:39 pm:

I’ve known Don for over 30 yrs…so congrats, you look great. I’ve also lost 100+ lbs..and it’s not easy. Keep up the good work!

56. - Northern Light - Wednesday, May 29, 13 @ 2:17 am:

Great work Rep! Who DOESN’T get fat around the rail? Just about everyone! I gained 100 lbs but have lost 80 by working hard at it, staying away from the parties/funders….just sayin…its hard down here!

57. - 3rd Generation Chicago Native - Wednesday, May 29, 13 @ 9:26 am:

Ruby,
    You are following Dr. Gott’s No Flour, No Sugar Diet. That one is not so easy to follow see what it did to the confusion of Illinois sales tax IL Sales tax items containing flour excluded

* McCann tries to turn the Madigan issue back on Rauner
* Rauner says he'll soon announce "several really exciting" results of his trade mission
* Our sorry state
* It's just a bill
* *** UPDATED x2 - Pritzker, Mendoza respond *** Rauner gets it half right while denying all blame
* ¯_(ツ)_/¯
* Gun dealer licensing bill may reboot
* PPP: Rodney Davis up by only 3, Hultgren ahead by just 4
* Rate the new Sam McCann campaign video
* Way out of context
* Did Tazewell County and Chicago ignore state law?
* Rauner calls legislators "rascals" ahead of budget talks
* *** LIVE *** Session coverage

* The Latest: Gun bill override short of House vo.....
* Rauner rips third-party conservative challenger.....
* State-financed workers' comp insurance company .....
* Rauner Dismisses Would-Be Opponent as 'Pawn' - .....
* Rauner fends off attacks From Democrats and Rep.....
* AFSCME wants step increases now..
* AFSCME wants step increases now - The State Jou.....
* State-Financed Workers' Comp Insurance Company .....
* State-financed workers' comp insurance company .....
* State-financed workers' comp insurance company .....

* State-financed workers' comp insurance company gets House OK
* US won't step in to stop ex-Lithuanian judge's extradition
* Illinois Senate views marijuana as opioid alternative

* McCann threatens to sue to get staff support
* Bill would give tax breaks to construction projects
* Illinois nurses to complete sexual assault training sooner
* A 48,000 percent return on a painting may be Illinois' best investment
* Schoenburg: Libertarian Kash Jackson wants to protect rights
* Plans to override gun dealer licensing veto fizzle
* Pro-gun advocates crowd downtown Springfield for annual rally
* Illinois State Fairgrounds on endangered sites list

* WTTW parent picks a new CEO
* The rich are betting on living to 100
* It's a bad time to stop making small cars
* AbbVie must escape the long shadow of Humira's decline
* Wishbone losing its West Loop home of 26 years

* EDITORIAL: Illinois can do more to keep guns away from the mentally unfit
* Emanuel blames Daley for avalanche of tax increases — without saying his name
* Tom Joyner bans R. Kelly’s music after meeting with #MeToo founder
* Illinois Supreme Court suspends convicted judge from practicing law
* How to watch the 2018 NFL Draft online
* 70 years after Holocaust, Jews in Europe do not feel safe
* Amazon raising Prime fee
* Lawsuit: Lake Bluff school officials ignored sex abuse by former teacher
* EDITORIAL: Bill Cosby’s guilty verdict marks a turning point in #MeToo movement
* NIU names Courtney Vinson its new senior associate AD

* Paul Ryan dismissed the House chaplain, and lawmakers want to know why
* Lynching memorial and museum in Alabama opens to crowds, and tears
* Investigators: DNA from genealogy site caught former cop now suspected in 13th murder
* Police: 2 shot during Gold Coast-area carjacking
* We know 'who the real Bill Cosby was,' prosecutor says after comedian convicted in sexual assault retrial
* People with opioid prescriptions could get medical marijuana instead under Illinois Senate plan
* Judge to close court hearing next week on Laquan McDonald's troubled past
* Illinois Senate OKs stand-alone bump stock ban
* White Sox reliever Danny Farquhar 'progressing' and on his feet after ruptured aneurysm
* Two Cook County branch courthouses could close in budget cuts that followed pop tax repeal

» Chicago Band The Claudettes' New Album Fueled By New Vocalist
» State And Local Gun Laws; Continuous Struggle Of Public Universities; McDonald’s New Headquarters
» Reporter Finds Carrying A Gun Carries Weighty Responsibility
» Illinois Lawmaker Considers Legislation After Nashville Waffle House Shooting
» Gun Owners Rally In Springfield While Gun Dealer Lincensing Veto Remains
» April 25, 2018 - Full Show
» Illinois State Fairgrounds Named On Endangered Historic Places List
» Food, Agriculture And Politics In The Next Farm Bill; Evangelicalism In The Age of Trump
» A Flexible Schedule Is The Wellness Benefit Workers Want

* Plans to override gun dealer licensing veto fizzle
* Our View: Advisory group for SCVB could benefit city
* Our View: Legislators should adopt revenue estimate resolution

* TBK Bank Sports Complex heads to the finish line
* Illinois Senate OKs stand-alone bump-stock ban
* Illinois Senate views marijuana as opioid alternative
* HUD sets deadline for Cairo families to move or face eviction proceedings
* Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injury after Wood River motorcycle crash
* State board permanently revokes license of former Davenport JROTC instructor
* Illini land receiver
* Legislation could increase rent for 4,000 Decatur public housing residents. Here's why.
* PHOTOS: LSA Third Graders Participate in Mr. and Mrs. Millikin Days
* Webster Groves Police looking for missing teen who is deaf

* District 158 board names new superintendent
* Authorities: St. Charles police shot man who pointed gun at them
* Glen Ellyn man gets 23 years for 2015 armed robbery
* Gym geared toward children with autism proposed in Palatine
* Smokehouse and sports bar to open in downtown St. Charles

* Non-Supporter of Pelosi Benefits From Her ...
* Rep. Randy Hultgren recognizes Loyola men'...
* Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar...
* Parkview students visit Washington D.C. | ...
* Are Illinois Congressmen safe in wake of D...
* It's official: If you prepaid your propert...
* Hultgren makes Earth Day pledge as newest ...
* Senate passes Leahy-led resolution urging ...
* A quick look at a few congressional races ...
* GOP breaks the glass as House outlook dark...

* Editorial: Congressional intervention woul......
* User data is valuable — so companies shoul......
* British MPs say they may try to compel Zuc......
* Pompeo confirmed for Secretary of State; D......
* Pompeo confirmed for Secretary of State: D......

* Duckworth comes back to Senate with her ba......
* Senate Narrowly Confirms Mike Pompeo for S......
* Straight, clear thinking from women in pow......
* On Twitter, Hillary Clinton is a 'wife' ab......
* Tammy Duckworth and Working Moms Like Mine...

* Arrest Made In November Gang-Related Murder
* Meet The Author! At Black Ensemble Theater on Saturday
* This week.
* Arizona II.
* New Playlot Coming To Gill Park
* Weapon H smashes together two of Marvel's most beloved heroes into a brilliant new series
* Public outcry kills proposed FOIA law tweak that would’ve hidden police misconduct records
* The [Thursday] Papers
* Lakeside Center Career & Training Fair at Olive-Harvey College #Ward09
* Update on the homeless sisters

* IEMA Highlights Role of Volunteers in Disasters
* Governor Rauner activates State Emergency Operations Center in Springfield
* February Flooding Information
* IEMA Urges People to Prepare for Severe Weather
* Governor issues state disaster proclamation for flooding in Iroquois, Kankakee, Vermilion Counties

* Researchers are livestreaming audio from nearly 4,000 feet below the ocean
* Amazon Prime membership will increase by $20 in May
* KGI: LCD iPhone forgoes in-cell touch for two panes of glass
* Scott Pruitt is even worse at yes-or-no questions than he is at following ethics rules
* Reno aims to make marriage blockchain official
* California air regulators say Scott Pruitt didn’t tell the whole truth to Congress
* Apple makes iTunes available in the Microsoft Store

* Anderson playing with vigor in 3rd season
* AL Central closers: Jones holding down 9th
* Super Stats Pack: Hitters/Pitchers (Game 20)
* White Sox Minor League Update: April 25, 2018
* Kopech, Adolfo among prospect performers
* Your Fan Questions Answered!
* Giolito opens 5-game set in Kansas City