Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Today’s quotable
Today’s quotable

Thursday, Oct 30, 2014

* From last night’s debate between Congressman Bill Enyart and Republican challenger Mike Bost Here’s Bost answering a question about corporate personhood

“I believe that corporate…corporate…corporations that are making up this United States are also individuals, that those individuals have rights and therefore the corporations have rights to establish what they believe because if you go…and and we’re talking about Hobby Lobby, but how about if we go down to the family farm which is also incorporated? When we start telling them that, okay, you’re incorporated, now you can’t follow your own religious beliefs. I don’t agree with it and I’m…I’m just adamantly opposed.”

If you watch the video, he received significant applause for that one.

1. - Sir Reel - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 11:50 am:

Nice coherent response.

I guess treating corporations as people is only about religious freedom.

2. - Wordslinger - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 11:52 am:

Well, when you put it that way…..

Wake me up when corporations assume the liabilities and responsibilities of individuals.

3. - ronnoco - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 11:53 am:

Either Mr. Bost didn’t understand the concept, or he does and he’s just relying on constituents to be equally confused. Do corporations like apple pie and baseball? Do farms?

4. - The Historian - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 11:56 am:

Given that transcription, I think the immediate follow-up question should have been “What letter grades did you receive in high school English?”

5. - Anyone Remember - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 11:59 am:

Robert Reich, November 16, 2012:
    “I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.”

6. - Old and In The Way - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

I’m sure Mr Bost considers corporations as individuals or people with inherent rights. However, I’m just as sure that he considers unions as something else altogether and of course they have no rights. Makes perfect sense as long as you don’t think about it too much……..frankly I’m sure he has no clue what he is even talking about. It’s just a talking point with an applause line. Not one of the deep thinkers in the Illinois GA. He doesn’t belong in the US House. Mushroom?

7. - Demoralized - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

Well, now that that’s all cleared up.

I think the corporations are people argument is totally asinine. I’ll live with it because I have no choice because the Supreme Court, in their infinite wisdom, has taken us down that road.

Now, since Bost specifically referred to the religious aspect of the argument I’ll also comment on that. I think the 1st Amendment has been totally bastardized by people who claim that it gives them the right to not do anything that they believe offends their religious beliefs. If you are operating a business, I could give a flying leap about your religious beliefs. If you can’t separate those beliefs from your responsibility to serve the public equally then you shouldn’t be operating a business. It’s really that simple.

8. - Patrick - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that sums up my beliefs nicely:

“I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.”

9. - Under Further Review - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

The context is key. Small closely held corporations owned by friends and family members (Hobby Lobby) are the ones entitled to such treatment.

I would not make the same argument for multinational corporations.

10. - Chicago's_Phinest - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:03 pm:

If the people of southern Illinois are dumb enough to elect this guy to congress, they get what they deserve. What an embarrassment.

I certainly don’t want him to be one of Illinois’ 18 representatives in Washington. What a joke.

11. - Gooner - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:04 pm:

Interesting.

When I used to go to mass, I never shared a pew with a corporation.

12. - Gooner - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:06 pm:

Question for Mr. Bost –

I’ve thought about creating a P.C. for my firm, but I’m concerned that my corporation may become a Lutheran, while historically I’ve been Catholic.

What do we do in that case? Can Mr. Bost provide any guidance? How should we raise our employees?

13. - Anyone Remember - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:10 pm:

Under Further Review
    Where do we draw the line? I suspect people would not be supporting Hobby Lobby’s exercise of faith if owned and operated by faithful pre-2000 graduates of Bob Jones University (i.e., racial inter-marriage and / or dating is banned).

14. - Jaded - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:12 pm:

Chicago’s Phinest,

15. - Senator Clay Davis - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:12 pm:

Hey Bost, if corporations are people, can I marry one? I’ll marry a lady corporation, so it won’t be a gay thing. Is that okay???

16. - Aldyth - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:18 pm:

I would have booed loud enough for Chris Christie to hear it and tell me to sit down and shut up.

17. - VM - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

I’m really most troubled by the applause.

Seriously, if an individual running a business has religious beliefs that she wants protected, then don’t incorporate.

A corporation is a separate legal entity. It is supposed to be separate from the owners so that the owners are shielded from personal liability. But there is absolutely no requirement that a business incorporate. If someone wants their business to have personal rights, great: don’t incorporate.

Should be pretty simple, people.

18. - Chicago's_Phinest - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

==Chicago’s Phinest,
    The best part is that unless you live in the 12th CD, you have absolutely no say in the matter, and I am sure those folks down there are pretty happy about that.==

Fair enough. Washington needs more people like Enyart (educated, General, mild-tempered) and less people like Bost (no college education, dance instructor, dog killer).

For the country’s sake, lets hope the people of southern Illinois make the right choice.

19. - Will P - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

From “Billy Madison” - we are all dumber now for listening to your response. I award you no points. May God have mercy on your soul.

20. - Unreliable Sources - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:28 pm:

Hey, at least he had an answer on this one!

21. - Bruce Ruiner - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:29 pm:

Yes, and I am looking forward to giving corporations the right to vote and then I can legally buy even MORE votes. Suffragettes Unite!

22. - OldSmoky2 - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:32 pm:

Yeah, you wouldn’t want any of those incorporated family farmers being forced to go against their religious beliefs and grow gay soybeans and so forth.

23. - Louis Howe - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

Slavery is the legal fiction that a person is property. Corporate personhood is the legal fiction that property is a person.”
    - David Korten, When Corporations Rule the World (former Professor of the Harvard University Graduate School of Business)

24. - Precinct Captain - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:38 pm:

More evidence Mike Bost doesn’t belong in any governmental body.

25. - Bill Edley - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:51 pm:

If you are interested in a full discussion and history of the “corporate personhood” argument see the following

26. - Old and In The Way - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

What I find most interesting, and alarming, is that this whole corporate personhood thing resonates with the Tea Party simpletons. Aren’t they the ones who hated the bank bailout? Do they realize that the Boston Tea Party was more about the tea monopoly granted the East India Company and not taxes. It was such a divisive issue that our founding fathers for the most part felt that the concept of corporations should be limited! They wanted to limit the lifetime of corporations! Franklin felt that it was unnatural for a corporation to live in perpetuity while a person could not…….wonder what Brucie would say to this concept? Bost? I’m sure it never crossed his mind.

27. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 1:15 pm:

he received significant applause for that one

Great! That audience must be a lot smarter than we are because I didn’t understand his answer and everyone else here seems shocked and appalled.

28. - Judgment Day - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

““I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.””
    ———————–

You mean like what the US DOJ did to the late “Arthur Andersen, LLP”?

Sure looked like an ‘Execution” to me.

29. - Old and In The Way - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

Judgement Day

No a corporate execution would have been sending them to jail! Instead they were just parceled out to other “corporations” and considering the vast evidence of fraud and malfeasance those responsible should have gone to jail. That didn’t happen. They were in essence protected by the limits of corporate responsibility. BTW your link is to nothing. No content.

30. - Plutocrat03 - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 1:32 pm:

Great example of a corporate execution Judgement Day

31. - Wordslinger - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 1:45 pm:

Usually, an individual dies in an execution.

If the AA experience is the same as someone being executed, then I guess you must believe in reincarnation, because AA partners are still in business all over the world under different names.

32. - Anon. - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 1:55 pm:

==They were in essence protected by the limits of corporate responsibility.==

Not even close. Corporate limited liability protects shareholders from claims against the corporation, it does not shield individuals who commit some kind of wrongdoing themselves from criminal or civil liability for their actions. If Bruce Rauner gave your grandmother the wrong pill, you could sue him whether or not he was acting as an employee, officer or other agent for one of his nursing home corporations.

33. - Old and In The Way - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 2:10 pm:

There are different types and levels of responsibility and liability. In this case the individuals were shielded from responsibility and liability by the corporation. Their actions were not deemed criminal because of the “corporate policy and actions.” They were just doing their job. However, you can’t put the corporation in jail! I don’t agree with it but it happens a lot more than we want to admit. Sure there are individuals who get sacrificed but rarely does the CEO or the Corporation go to jail. AA was just too big and too corrupt to let it survive intact. Solution……sell it off.

BTW Raunner seems to have escaped any criminal liability for the conditions his policies created yet he was at least to some degree responsible.

34. - Old and In The Way - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 2:15 pm:

My clerk just reminded me that AA was not your typical corporation. Faux pas. They were in effect structured around limited partnerships, as are most of the big accounting firms. Big difference legally.

35. - D.P.Gumby - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 2:15 pm:

Mr Bost, me and my corporation have a sincere 1st Amendment religious objection to people carrying firearms. Therefore, I want to prohibit anyone with a firearm from my property even if Illinois law changes. What is your position?

36. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 2:18 pm:

If corporations are people, why aren’t prisons filled with them?

37. - Judgment Day - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 2:22 pm:

Try this link:

38. - CapnCrunch - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 2:36 pm:

“…. Corporate limited liability protects shareholders from claims against the corporation, it does not shield individuals who commit some kind of wrongdoing themselves from criminal or civil liability for their actions.”

Nor does it shield a corporation from prosecution as a person in the criminal justice system. In 1909 the Supreme Court upheld the first criminal prosecution of a corporation( New York Central & Hudson River Railroad ) in a federal court. Not sure if being eligible for prosecution as a person makes a corporation a person.

39. - Chicago Cynic - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 2:41 pm:

No clue what he’s trying to say. Completely incoherent.

40. - Under Further Review - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 3:24 pm:

41. - frustrated GOP - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

he just lost my vote, oh wait I live north of the Mason_Dixon line and that race is south of it.

And then he said this message is brought to you by the Koch bros.

42. - Judgment Day - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 3:57 pm:

“Imprisoning a corporate charter or executing the corporate seal does not seem to be possible.”
    ————–

Court ordered incineration or melting might be sufficient.

There is another alternative approach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWASdci9L8

43. - Frustrated Voter - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 3:58 pm:

So, who runs a corporation?

44. - Gurnge - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 4:20 pm:

While his response was….in-eloquent (it took more than one read to follow him), it probably more accurately reflected the actual reasoning behind the Hobby Lobby decision than a lot of other “analysis” I’ve seen.

To quote the majority opinion, “RFRA’s [Religious Freedom Restoration Act] text shows that Congress designed the statute to provide very broad protection for religious liberty and did not intend to put merchants to such a choice [give up the right to seek judicial protection of their religious liberty or forgo the benefits of operating as corporation]. It employed the familiar legal fiction of including corporations within RFRA’s definition of “persons,” but the purpose of extending rights to corporations is to protect the rights of people associated with the corporation, including shareholders, officers, and employees. Protecting the free-exercise rights of closely held corporations thus protects the religious liberty of the humans who own and control them.” 573 U.S. 3 http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/13-354_olp1.pdf

Similar if not the same reasoning is why the government can’t just take assets of corporations without due process(5th amendment), or go snooping around corporate computers without a warrant (4th amendment–insert snarky comment here).

45. - illini - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 4:30 pm:

Mike Bost supposedly represented me for 10 years ( until redistricting ). He has his 20 years in the GA and will be collecting a reasonable, maybe very comfortable pension, and is satisfied, in his own mind, that his mindless rantings and incoherent answers resonate with the voters in IL 12. At some point I’m sure he is right.

But lets not forget about the Beagle that he shot. A Congressman, I don’t think so! And I am hoping that enough there enough sane people in the District that will reject his showmanship and bravado and vote for substance and leadership.

46. - Anon - Thursday, Oct 30, 14 @ 4:33 pm:

Wow…and this guy is favored to get to congress…that is so sad…

* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* Education organizations urging veto of salary bill..
* Our View: A welcome start at cleaning House..
* TALKING POINTS: Caution: Election ahead..
* New statewide tech innovation hubs get $500 mil.....
* Black lawmakers slam Rauner for bragging about .....
* Gov. Rauner signs executive order Wednesday..
* Records: Mansion used in Rauner's 'Porc.....
* RI event celebrates immigrant families..
* Rauner orders backlog of discrimination complai.....
* South suburban homeowners see their property ta.....

* Woman in Bali murder gives up claim to mother's estate
* Man honored for helping Indiana officer subdue motorist
* Pension granted to family of dead firefighter challenged
* Bond hearing set for man given new trial in officers' deaths
* Alabama man charged in government-computer scam
* Man given 55-year sentence in 2014 shooting of store clerk
* Suburban teacher pleads guilty to sexual assault of student
* Family of teen shot, covered with sheet retains lawyer
* Woman diagnosed with West Nile Virus, Illinois calls in CDC
* Officer testifies a second day in wrongful death lawsuit

* Records: Mansion used in Rauner's 'Porcelain Prince' ad got its own tax reduction
* Illinois politicians seek answers to family separations at border
* 80+ years later, Meredosia woman sees the opening of another new bridge
* Chatham man wins Illinois Bicentennial coin design contest
* Rauner to consider allowing medical cannabis for opioid patients
* Bipartisan work yields gun bills, fate rests with Rauner
* Rauner names Justin Blandford curator of Governor's Mansion
* Rauner names Williamsville woman interim HFS director
* Both Rauner and Pritzker have donated to Mansion renovations
* Both candidates for governor have donated to Mansion renovations

* Boeing's tardy $44.3 billion tanker nears milestone after spat
* Here's what Elon Musk is up against in L.A.
* Can a daily pill prevent kidney stones?
* Lots of finger-pointing as Garry McCarthy hits Emanuel
* NBA's Dwyane Wade loves socks enough to launch a new company

* Orlando airport is 1st to scan faces of all passengers on international flights
* AT&T launches new TV service built around Time Warner networks
* Trump gets highest marks for North Korea effort: AP poll
* The Mix — Some cool things to do June 22-28, 2018
* Ex-teacher sentenced to 8 years for sexual assault of student in Roselle
* Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu’s wife charged with fraud, breach of trust
* 9 wounded in Chicago shootings Wednesday
* All-new BMW X2 makes lively, agile debut
* Food We Love: Ursula Adduci shares a favorite Costa Rican cooking tradition
* Massive fire engulfs building in Harvey

* Ask Kim: Taxes when using the backdoor into a Roth IRA
* If anyone actually cared about the White Sox, this would be a big deal
* Beatings, bags over their heads, racial slurs: Young migrants detained in Virginia allege abuse in lawsuit
* Passengers on fatal Southwest flight sue airline, Boeing
* Heavy rain across Chicago area Thursday could trigger flooding: weather service
* Brandon Morrow injured himself taking off his pants, the latest in a long line of strange Cubs mishaps
* With the 7th and 22nd picks in the NBA draft, the Bulls will select ...
* The NBA draft will show big men are back in fashion. And now they can do it all.
* 'White civil rights' rally marking Charlottesville anniversary set to be held in D.C.
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 6/21/18

» Fields Of Green: Illinois Considers Industrial Hemp
» Chicago Mayor Pitches Affordable Housing Plan For Priciest Neighborhoods
» June 20, 2018 - Full Show
» Lawmakers Hear Firsthand Accounts Of Sexual Abuse By CPS Staff
» Gov. Rauner Open To Changes So Disabled Prisoners Get Released On Time
» Fixing Potholes With Art; Clearing Chicago Rail Congestion; The Future of Artificial Intelligence
» June 19, 2018 - Full Show
» Lawmakers To Hold Public Hearing Over CPS Sexual Abuse Cases
» Eddie Russell Jr.‘s Family Sues Peoria; Helping Veterans Graduate; Inmates And Mental Health Care
» Morning Shift Live From the Streeterville Farmer's Market

* Our View: A welcome start at cleaning House
* Our View: White Oaks Mall smart to diversify offerings
* Guest View: Addressing the higher cost of compliance with our ADA consent decree
* MArc Thiessen: But her emails? You're dang right her emails.
* Byron York: What Republicans suspect about the FBI's Trump-Russia probe
* Catherine Rampell: We'll be cleaning up Trump's mess for generations
* Illinois politicians seek answers to family separations at border
* 80+ years later, Meredosia woman sees the opening of another new bridge
* Chatham man wins Illinois Bicentennial coin design contest

* Now hiring in Decatur and Macon County. Recently posted employment opportunities for job seekers
* New adoptables in Decatur and Macon County. Pick your new dog or cat!
* Storms produce heavy rains, flash flooding
* Hacienda Leon now open in Bloomington
* First Presbyterian looks back, forward after 150 years
* Riding ability
* City housing authority to oversee county's
* Teen to join village board
* Danville council hears land bank update
* District 118 sets administrator salaries

* The Latest: Denmark, Australia are 1-1 at halftime in Samara
* Trump's migrant policy: First blowback, then about-face
* These places are paying U.S. workers thousands of dollars to move there
* Trump's immigration order sparks confusion, deep concern
* Southern Indiana mini-park being dedicated to fallen soldier

* Evanston asylum seeker says she hasn't...
* Illinois Republicans in Congress break fro...
* Some Leaders in Chicago Protest Walmart Af...
* Reps. McCaul, Ruppersberger and Sens. Rubi...
* Battle brews on ingredient listing
* Congressman's opioid resolution passes...
* Representative wants answers on ICE arrests
* Trump, GOP leaders meet on migrant-kids so...
* Letter: Kinzinger doing nothing to help se...
* Illinois Republicans in Congress break fro...

* Trump Rallies In Duluth, MN; Discusses Bor......
* Illinois lawmakers react to immigration cr......
* Chicago activists decry Trump move that wi......
* The Original DREAMer Recalls 'All Perv......
* Trump orders end to separating migrant chi......

* Reaction to Trump ending family separation......
* Senator Tammy Duckworth calls on Ki......
* Lake County's congressional leaders we......
* Senators Scold Wilbur Ross Over Ethics Iss......
* Nielsen's career forever linked to fam......

* Separation...
* New Chicago Architecture Center Opens August 31
* Five masters of stop-motion animation
* Trump's compromise? Do it my way!
* Dramatic video shows Chicago playground engulfed in flames
* Student loans
* ​Affordable Learning Exchange works to increase access by reducing costly course material: Goal is to save students $10 million by 2020
* Take that leukemia: Andrew Jones cleared to take online classes, move into dorm
* Here’s How Higher Education Dies
* 10 Reasons to Become a Google Certified Trainer

* Illinois Department of Human Rights Honors the "Dream"
* All systems ?Go' for Discovery Partners Institute
* New Illinois 104 Bridge Opens in Meredosia
* IL Department on Aging Recognizes World Elder Abuse Awareness Month
* 2017 Wabash County Tentative Multiplier Announced

* This crazy cryptocurrency has only “one coin to rule them all”
* Intel CEO Brian Krzanich resigns, interim appointed
* How to pick the Amazon Fire TV that’s right for you
* How to create a VR app for Android in just 7 minutes
* Anthem is an attempt to blend BioWare storytelling with Destiny-style action
* Intel CEO Brian Krzanich resigns over relationship with employee
* Bose noise-masking sleepbuds now on sale for $250

* White Sox Minor League Update: June 20, 2018
* Most Essential White Sox Vote: Round 32
* White Sox: On-track rebuild is a beautiful sign of things to...
* Scouting report: Oakland A's at White Sox
* Lopez falters, Ricky tossed as Sox skid hits 7
* After ejection, White Sox's Rick Renteria offers some su...
* Indians' Corey Kluber dominates White Sox