Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Rauner, Teamsters agree to new contract
Rauner, Teamsters agree to new contract

Wednesday, Jul 1, 2015

* It’s a small bargaining unit, but, still…

After several productive rounds of good faith negotiations, the Illinois Governor’s Office and Teamsters Local 700 have agreed to terms on a new four-year collective bargaining agreement. The current agreement expired June 30, 2015.

The new contract covers nearly 350 workers at IDOT, CMS, IDES, and DHS in Cook County. The employees work as highway maintainers, heavy equipment operators, and building service and maintenance workers. Negotiations are ongoing for employees represented by Teamsters locals at locations covering the rest of Illinois.

The terms of the tentative agreement include:

Maintenance of the current level of health care benefits for employees and their dependents as part of the State’s continued contributions to the independent Teamsters Local 727 Health & Welfare Fund.

A four-year wage freeze, continuing the 75% in-hire rate.

Continuation of a 40-hour work week.

A collaborative program that allows management and the Teamsters to work together to provide low-cost alternatives to outsourcing.

A reduction in the payout for accumulated unused vacation from 75 to 45 days for employees hired after January 1, 2016.

The tentative agreement will be submitted to the membership of Teamsters Local 700 for a ratification vote.

As a continuation of the productive negotiating sessions, the Teamsters and the Governor’s Office also pledged to form a long-term relationship to improve employer-labor relations in state government.

Discuss.

1. - Albany Park Patriot - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:29 pm:

Divide and conquer, Walker-style. He did this with the Operating Engineers and State Patrol union in Wisconsin. Anything you can do to break union solidarity you do it. Here goes…

2. - Cassiopeia - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:30 pm:

I wonder what AFSCME will have to say about this?

3. - chi - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:31 pm:

“continuing the 75% in-hire rate”

What does this mean?

4. - Southwest - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:34 pm:

Sounds good to me.

5. - chi - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:35 pm:

Anything you can do to break union solidarity you do it.

A union does not “break union solidarity” by entering into a contract with an employer.

6. - Idot guy - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:35 pm:

The 75 percent rate means the persons 1st, year, they are at 75 percent of negotiated rate. Each year it bumps up til the employee makes the negotiated rate

7. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:36 pm:

I hear Frerichs settled with the Treasurer’s office with 7% raises for the union workers.

8. - Skeptic - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:37 pm:

If Rauner offered that to AFSCME now, I’d give him big-time props for compromising. Of course the other side would bash him for caving, but whatever.

9. - RNUG - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:37 pm:

== A new performance incentive program to reward employees with bonuses for cost-saving measures and meeting or exceeding performance metrics. ==

I’ll believe that one when I see it. In the past, the State has managed to mess up every one they implemented.

10. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:37 pm:

== A four-year wage freeze==

Makes AFSMEs demand for 11.5 % increase look even worse

11. - Anonin' - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:39 pm:

So no cut in worker health care —-TeamBungle had $800 million savings in their “budget”— and it looks like raises are called “performance incentives” and folks still getting paid for unused vacation time. Nice template for the others

12. - Wordslinger - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:39 pm:

– …the Teamsters and the Governors office also pledged to form a long-term relationship to improve employer-labor relations in state government.–

“Anders Lindall? Won’t see him no more….”

13. - Percival - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:40 pm:

More proof that the Governor is “extreme” in his views and can never work with any union, correct?

14. - Ben Franklin - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:40 pm:

CHICAGO TEAMSTERS not all of the state teamsters.

15. - Team Sleep - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:42 pm:

This a pretty fair contract.

It accomplishes two things Rauner wants: a wage freeze and an incentive program.

It accomplishes two things the Teamsters want: no marked increase in health insurance costs and what could be viewed as an end to outsourcing of services.

AFSCME - take note. This is how you do it.

16. - Southwest - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:42 pm:

Rnug, has the state offered bonuses before? How were they suppose to work? I always thought they got bigger increases in salary for exceeding expectations on performance reviews, but not sure.

17. - Johnnie F. - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:43 pm:

wage freeze including step?

18. - TROOPER - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:47 pm:

I Hate to be a Kill Joy, But I have a couple thoughts…..

I believe the members in that local will vote “NO” on that contract.

Secondly, that small group of people will not move the needle on negotiations with any other union.

Traditionally, every union waits on Afscme’s contract because it is always the heavy lift.

I wonder what nefarious activity is afoot because there appears to be no rationale for this from a members perspective.

Just a few thoughts…….

19. - Skeptic - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:48 pm:

“Makes AFSMEs demand for 11.5 % increase look even worse” It does. It also makes Rauner’s demand for a 400% increase in health benefit costs, lay-offs, privatization, unlimited overtime etc. look pretty pathetic as well.

20. - Team Sleep - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:49 pm:

Ben - but it will be used as a template for the rest of the state. Most unionized employees at IDOT are Teamsters, and my best is that the offer and final agreement with the other Locals will look very similar to this.

21. - He Makes Ryan Look Like a Saint - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:49 pm:

We used to have to rate non union employees prior to the fiscal year. Once ratings were in you could not change them. The Bonus clause is a joke, it will only go to the connected.

22. - anon - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:50 pm:

Do these employees get overtime? A lot of AFSCME employees do not and can’t bump up their paychecks during a supposed wage freeze.

23. - PolPal56 - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:52 pm:

Anonin’, perhaps you were referring to sick leave, not vacation time? I’m in a different Union, but sick leave payouts are part of the pension contract. It was written out some time ago and only applies to the most senior employees at this point, but for them are not negotiable.

24. - illinoised - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:55 pm:

Maintaining the current level of healthcare benefits is huge in this day and age. The healthcare benefits, and the relatively amount of money I pay for them, are the most important factors of my current (past 15 years) job.

25. - From the 'Dale to HP - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:55 pm:

This is what Rahm did with all the CPS unions not named CTU and look how that turned out.

26. - Commonsense in Illinois - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:58 pm:

I’m wondering how the state will award bonuses since they are not contemplated for in the statute, and therefore for now at least an un-budgeted item. I suppose you could put in a lump sum for bonuses, but how would a multi-location agency dole out the bonuses in a manner that is equitable?

27. - Gooner - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 1:59 pm:

I’m not a fan of Rod Rauner, but I have to say that four years without a wage increase sure looks like a nice win for him.

28. - Nick Danger - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:00 pm:

How to eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

29. - Southwest - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:05 pm:

Commonsense - I’m not a state employee or in a union, but shouldn’t bonuses be paid only to the top performers?

30. - Apocalypse Now - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:07 pm:

Looks like Rauner and his “crew” did a pretty good job. Now, on to the next contract. Would have preferred to see the health care costs taken over by switching employees to ObamaCare, but I guess they don’t like the plan, either.

31. - Bulldog58 - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:08 pm:

“Makes AFSMEs demand for 11.5 % increase look even worse”
    I’d like to know what the Teamsters asked for at the beginning of negotiations for a wage increase. There is no way they went into this asking for a wage freeze. That’s not how unions negotiate.

32. - Small Town Girl - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:09 pm:

Doesn’t everyone covered by the State of Illinois Group Insurance plan pay the same premium depending on the plan chosen, salary level and number of dependents? Because this is now agreed to for this group, shouldn’t the increase for AFSCME be off of the table now?

33. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:12 pm:

Elections have consequences.

The parameters of the deal reflect that, and both sides seem pleased.

A block to build upon…(?)

34. - nona - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:17 pm:

I wonder why the governor settled without steep benefit cuts and wholesale loss of workplace rules like he wants from AFSCME?

35. - Juice - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:19 pm:

Now my question, does the deal continue the deduction of fair share dues?

36. - Norseman - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:22 pm:

Concur with Willy.

37. - A Jack - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:22 pm:

I see bonuses as a big headache and potentially a hotbed for grievances. In theory, it’s a great idea.

But how do you objectively reward bonuses in state government where you aren’t trying to increase sales or profit? I mean do we really want the State Police giving bonuses on the most speeding tickets written or some such criteria?

38. - Commonsense in Illinois - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:23 pm:

@Southwest…nor am I a state employee. Bonuses should be paid to top performers…my question remains how to you assure fairness throughout the state. Here in private business, if a company has multiple sites, each site generally deals with bonuses based on the needs, goals and objectives of that site. That really doesn’t work well in a government situation since all sites are controlled by the enabling statute - a benefit in Chicago is the same benefit in Cairo. So, how does someone actually qualify…by doing something extraordinary whether authorized by the statute or not? I’m not saying don’t do bonuses, I’m just interested in implementation.

39. - the Patriot - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:31 pm:

==Divide and conquer,==

Willy asked the other day why Rauner would sign the k-12 ed funding bill. The IEA is the largest union in the state and schools are already underfunded. He pledged to make education a priority so he kept a promise and cut a big union out of the fight. If this is approved, one more is moved to the side.

The Teamsters are a private sector union and they have a realistic view of what the economy is really like. It shows they are smart enough to take a reasonable deal to stay out of the fray and risk losing the union completely.

This isn’t a game where the employer is holding out on the workers to drive stock prices up. The Teamsters see a 4 billion dollar hole no one has any idea how to plug. Smart move is to stay alive and keep working.

40. - Almost the Weekend - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:36 pm:

And AFSCME wanted 11.5% over four years after spending millions of dollars to defeat Rauner. Not to mention Quinn gave them 12%.

Smart move by Rauner team to avoid the side shows for the big showdown with AFSCME. He would have even better standing if he stopped going after other unions and poisoning every bill with right to work legislation.

You have to wonder what AFSCME leadership is thinking right now. They basically said they would strike if their conditions aren’t met. If AFSCME had any leadership or direction they would have been coordinating with Teamsters to see how their contract negotiations were coming along. Even though they are a much smaller union, they have a realistic idea of what can be accomplished. Now they are way out in left field with no other option besides to strike. Good luck rank and file, you are on a bus with no driver.

41. - relocated - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:37 pm:

4 year wage freeze means around a 12% cut in the employees standard of living if you assume a 3% cost of living increase and dont compound. They arent standing fast, they are racing backwards.

42. - Johnnie F. - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:43 pm:

Um….Quinn settled at 4% over three years and also got increases in insurance premiums and co-pays from employees.

43. - Skeptic - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:47 pm:

“They basically said they would strike if their conditions aren’t met.” You make it sound like AFSCME will strike if they don’t get the 11% raises. I don’t think that’s anything close to the truth.

44. - The Dude Abides - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:49 pm:

@Almost the weekend, It’s possible I missed it but I don’t remember AFSCME threatening to strike it their conditions weren’t met.
    What this means IMO is that AFSCME won’t agree to any change in their health insurance since the Teamsters didn’t have too. They may have to accept a wage freeze though if the Teamsters go on to ratify this agreement. Historically the Teamster agreement has mirrored pretty much the AFSCME agreement.

45. - DuPage Don - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:52 pm:

===Elections have consequences===
    ===The parameters of the deal reflect that and both sides seem pleased===A block to build upon…(?)==

Willy, for once you’ve lurched into the truth!

46. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:56 pm:

Holding the line on health insurance increases = a raise, IMO. I would hope that AFSCME takes note if the rank and file in the Teamsters union vote to accept.

47. - Apocalypse Now - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:57 pm:

===Elections have consequences===

Willy, for once you’ve lurched into the truth!
    Correct.

48. - Skeptic - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:57 pm:

” I would hope that AFSCME takes note if the rank and file in the Teamsters union vote to accept. ” And I would hope the Rauner administration would pay attention to what might be an acceptable contract.

49. - illinifan - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:03 pm:

It creates a baseline for AFSCME. Many AFSCME members tell me they would take the pay freeze if the health insurance piece stayed the same. Rauner at least needs to move with AFSCME on this piece of the negotiation and this may result in AFSCME moving off the 11.5% piece. Both made ridiculous offers. Welcome to the world of negotiation.

50. - Almost the Weekend - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:04 pm:

Skeptic and Dude Abides,

I respectfully disagree. AFSCME leadership can’t go back to rank and file telling them they requested 11.5% pay increase and come back with nothing. Rank and file will want new leadership or will want to strike.

AFSCME currently has new leadership who haven’t solely negotiated a new contract yet, to show their clout, and demonstrate to rank and file that they are the right people for the job, will want to strike.

This is not even factoring past poor leadership decisions, such as, waiting three weeks out from the 2014 Republican primary to endorse Kirk Dillard and give him $300,000 with no backup plan if he lost. Then failing to unite around PQ in the general because they bashed him for the past several years.

Bottom line elections and political donations have consequences. AFSCME is trying to avoid these consequences,and time is running out.

51. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:04 pm:

“- DuPage Don - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 2:52 pm:”

DuPage Don = DuPage Dan’s illegitimate cousin

52. - Skeptic - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:07 pm:

“telling them they requested 11.5% pay increase and come back with nothing” Sure they can. They can say “We didn’t get what we asked, but look at all the other things he wanted that we fought off!” As for me (as an AFSCME rank-and-file member) I would want new leadership if they stuck to the 11% and called a strike.

53. - Defeated - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:11 pm:

54. - Qui Tam - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:16 pm:

“As a rank and file AFSCME member, I agree with Skeptic. An 11% raise is not reasonable, period.”
    Especially in light of the 35% annual raise that Private industry managers just got this year. - times are tough.

55. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:22 pm:

==can’t go back to rank and file telling them they requested 11.5% pay increase and come back with nothing. Rank and file will want new leadership or will want to strike==

I have yet to talk to an AFSCME member who have even thought, much less said such a thing. Ask any AFSCME member what a “win” is and I bet you 90% of them would tell you that they would be happy if they got out of this making what they make now and not having to pay much more for health insurance. Nobody in their right mind - including AFSCME leadership by the way - thinks they are going to get an 11.5% raise. The Governor came out of the gate with a ridiculous proposal so AFSCME countered with their own ridiculous proposal. Once they each decide to stop being ridiculous then things will move forward. They aren’t there yet.

56. - mom at home - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:25 pm:

I worked for IDOT DURING Blago days and was executive staff. They had a. Certain amount of bonus money. They have each director the ability to award. The director picked the connected people and then told their supervisors to mark their evaluation as above and beyond normal assignment duties. That qualified you for the bonus check. Please understand how evaluations happen at the state. I have wrote my own evaluation every year. Because my supervisor changed often, the person who signed it did not always know anything about what I did. I received the bonus until the teamsters sent me a letter that they wanted to unionize my position and I signed the card. I understand the game and that is fine, but unless you work at the state and realize how the evaluation process goes it is easy to say that rewards should go,to those that deserve it. At my office we are under staffed and everyone is over worked and doing a fabulous job but I could make a prediction of who would receive the bonuses.

57. - Small Town Girl - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:27 pm:

Reminder, voluntarily accepting Tier 2 benefits is still on the negotiating table. I think maybe this is so far out of the question that we forget that it is even really still there. I know I can’t really move towards any other issue until this non starter is removed and no longer included in the list. I checked and it is still there.

58. - Politix - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:38 pm:

59. - Politix - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:39 pm:

I think most AFSCME members would be fine with same contract.

60. - RNUG - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:40 pm:

== Rnug, has the state offered bonuses before? ==

At least twice that I know of … for ideas that saved the State money.

61. - facts are stubborn things - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:41 pm:

That will be used as leverage by management to control workers. Never seen these things work.

62. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:41 pm:

==
    He negotiated contracts for 350 employees…doesn’t merit all that much discussion really.==

Teamsters represent many more in some other agencies. I would say this is s sign of reaching a deal on those others as well very soon

63. - All the answers - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:48 pm:

SOOOO after being “anti-union” he caved to a union’s demands after all. That’s shall we say it “rich.”

64. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:50 pm:

“- Demoralized - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:22 pm:”

And Step increases

65. - Beaner - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:50 pm:

I understand some people think it is outrageous for AFSCME to ask for 11.5% pay increase. Do people understand this is over a four year period? So they are asking for something like 2.75% a year, and it compounds to 11.5 over the four years. AFSCME is not asking for 11.5% annual payraises, which it appears is what some people think.

66. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:53 pm:

If someone is lower in the Steps, they will want to leave if they do not get their Steps and they are mostly Tier 2.

67. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:54 pm:

To quote Kevin Bacon in Animal House, “Thank You Sir, May I have another.”

68. - Let'sMovetoTexas - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:57 pm:

If Afscme strikes, the state will not have to pay them, and they will be the cause of the shutdown. Plays right into the Gov’s plan. And most of us would not notice any impact on our lives.

69. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:05 pm:

“- Let’sMovetoTexas - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 3:57 pm:”

Is that you Kass?

70. - PolPal56 - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:07 pm:

Please, please do move to Texas if you’re so unhappy in this blue state.

71. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:09 pm:

==
    These employees are not in the Group Health plan. The Teamster’s have their own health insurance plan, which these employees and the State pays in to. That makes it a lot easier for this deal to get done.==

This is worthy of repeating, to those who think the a Rauner will agree to the same with AFSCME on health costs. The savings with Teamsters aren’t there like with the AFSCME workers.

72. - Anon - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:14 pm:

It is an attempt to divide and conquer by reaching an agreement with a small unit. Rauner still has his poison pill in place in his turn back agenda. He is trying to reshape his image, not his core beliefs. His I am the baddest enemy anyone can have has been a failure. Don’t be fooled.

73. - A Jack - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:16 pm:

A wage freeze with an inflation clause might be acceptable and a benefit for both sides. I think most are concerned that inflation will creep back in while wages fall further behind.

It would benefit the administration because it would retain good people as prices skyrocket. And since inflation also boosts revenue, it would have little impact on the ongoing revenue stream. Perhaps a 3% raise annual raise when any previous four quarters of inflation goes over 3%.

74. - Mason born - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:18 pm:

Small town girl

I really wonder at the legal analysis he thinks he has that lets the union negotiate that individual right. Even if the union agrees how could u say a fair share individual agreed.

75. - Wordslinger - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:20 pm:

–Plays right into gov’s plan–

Yeah, you’re part of the “braintrust.

If anyone ever really let you in on “the plan” about anything, would you notice?

76. - Say what? - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:25 pm:

Keep negotiating everything away and soon you’ll have nothing. The members would be wise to reject.

77. - Peoria Guy - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:25 pm:

Bravo

78. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:26 pm:

relocated @ 2:37 pm:
    I can do math too.
    When Blagovich was sworn in 2001, my merit comp pay was ‘frozen’.
    When I retired in 2012, I had had only 2 pay raises.
    (let me get my abacus out..) 11 years minus 2 equals 9.
    9 times 3 = 27 (percent loss of anticipated income).
    For those who say, “why didn’t you get out?”, I had 25 years in by that time.
    By definition, State employment is ‘political’. When ‘your guy’ is in,
    you do okay, or better. When the ‘other guy’ gets in….not so much.

mom at home @ 3:25 pm:
    I concur. Did the same thing (pretty much wrote my own eval, or at least,
    my ‘goals’. My boss put his own touches on it).
    Up the chain-of-command, it was decided who got what, in terms of a pay-raise.

79. - Mason born - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:44 pm:

Say what

Please tell me you are joking. If Rauner made the same offer to AFSCME I’d lay anything the vote to accept would be overwhelming. If not their darn fools.

80. - Former Merit Comp Slave - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 4:52 pm:

I proposed legislation that was passed which basically said interest payments to vendors under $50 would not be paid unless specifically requested in writing by the vendor. Saved the state lots of money, mostly in man hours spent processing vouchers. There was a bonus program in effect then too. I got a nice letter from someone in CMS and then 7 years with no raises. Hope it’s different this time

81. - Gone, but not forgotten - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 5:37 pm:

To those that think these Teamster employees have insurance through the union, you are totally wrong. They are insured under the State! So this would be a very good thing for AFSCME to consider–no raises, keep insurance as-is. (BTW, this local represents Cook County only.)

82. - railrat - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 5:54 pm:

Watch how the combo public sector and trade unions distance themselves from the traditional public sector folks (IUOE) , it’s about dues money , patronage, Union leadership survival and big union bosses incomes ( keep those sky boxes and golf outings going) and assumed legislative power. It’s time for the AFL and the CIO to define themselves and either combine and concur or separate and win !!!!!

83. - RS in Elgin - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 6:02 pm:

If the summary is accurate, health benefits for these Teamsters is provided by what is popularly known as a Taft-Hartley welfare fund, which is a separate entity from the union, and by law is administered by an equal number of employer and employee trustees. The State has agreed to pay contributions to this fund, so these Teamsters’ health benefits are not provided by the State plans and are not paid for under the State’s self-funded scheme for most State employees. Nevertheless, it’s important that this group of State employees will apparently continue their current health benefits without additional costs to them.

The importance of the Teamsters CBA, if it is ratified, is that it may provide a comparator in the event of interest arbitration. Remember that even under current law, there’s thousands of State employees — e.g., prison employees — who are subject to interest arbitration in the event the State and union cannot agree. One of the factors that may be considered by the arbitrator is the terms and conditions provided by CBAs for other groups of State employees.

84. - Courser - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 6:09 pm:

Congratulations to Teamsters, Local 700, for serving as the first wedge in Rauner’s divide and conquer plan for public sector labor. It appears that keeping their health and welfare fund flush with state money outweighs their previous rhetoric about the governor and his egregious proposals.

Solidarity, my eye…

85. - mr brightside - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 6:41 pm:

I would like to know how anyone is certain that AFSCME has demanded a wage increase other than what was reported in the Tribune. I have heard the opposite. That AFSCME has yet to engage in anything related to wages. That they are still discussing several non-economic items where there is huge divide between both sides.

86. - Ghost - Wednesday, Jul 1, 15 @ 8:28 pm:

No one is here to read this since i am way late :) but you all are mixing apples and oranges.

First the teamsters dont have steps, they have this 75% thing where you get increases each year to 100%. They agreed to keep that, so they still get wage increases if they are not maxed.

Afscme and rauners recerence to the 11.5 is to colas which also increase the cap or steps. If rauner agreed to do steps, but no cola and o health change, and keep semiautomatics… That would be the same as the teamster deal…. Anf afscme would probably agree.

To those who think afscme was not with the teamsters look again….this is a good deal for afscme if its duplicated for them. Its no health change, step increases and semiautomatic continue, bonuses for performance, just no colas and no increase in the step caps.

As for bonuses the lottery has done them for a few years. They have a neutral model that can be used

87. - foster brooks - Thursday, Jul 2, 15 @ 5:14 am:

Courser what about the unions that agreed to pension reform?

88. - mom at home - Thursday, Jul 2, 15 @ 7:19 am:

Mr. Brightside…I have heard the same thing. And technically they are not suppose to discuss negotiations. I have not seen one report from AFSME staying what they are attempting to negotiate. They are way to professional for that.

* Rauner appoints Dunkin to MWRD
* ERA opponents' logic questioned
* More IDVA shakeup as embattled director quits
* Sanguinetti ties gun issue to Cuban heritage while talking AV
* Stop Illinois Big Coal Bailouts
* After stinging criticism, tronc reportedly calls cops on picketing reporters
* Captains obvious
* Chicago political ad spending almost three times higher than closest national competitor
* Cullerton heard "Laurel"
* Black Caucus claims Rauner paying "lip service" to black vendors
* Bitter infighting continues at troubled SIU
* Peoria paper compares Rauner to Trump - and not in a good way
* Harmon essentially claims Madigan is living in Rauner's head rent-free
* Marion mayor fumes over state response to water shortage
* NRA and Rauner in close step on two bills
* *** UPDATED x1 - Rauner admin responds *** Madigan blames Rauner for Quincy, says members have unanswered questions
* *** LIVE *** Session coverage

* Editorial | Everything's going Pritzker's way..
* Editorial | Everything's going Pritzker's way -.....
* Rich Miller/Capitol Fax | Good politics, but no.....
* APNewsBreak: Rauner ally Dunkin given $70K Chic.....
* Disaster order for 9 S. Illinois counties hit b.....

* EXCHANGE: Sensory bags, story times to benefit autistics
* EXCHANGE: Retiring owner hoping to keep radio station local
* Trump nominates Chicago businessman for Belgium ambassador
* East St. Louis police officer who earned $200K put on leave
* Illinois group needs $500K to restore Black Hawk statue
* Disaster order for 9 S. Illinois counties hit by main break
* GoFundMe makes saving Lincoln artifacts hip, accessible
* Illinois State Fair to hold preview party, 5K run next month
* Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo marks 150th anniversary
* EXCHANGE: Pitcher's ordeal ramps up look at protective masks

* Illinois GOP chairman re-elected; Republicans display unity
* GoFundMe makes saving Lincoln artifacts modern, accessible
* Gov. Rauner ally Ken Dunkin given $70K Chicago post
* Madigan wants information on governor's Legionnaires' fix
* State lawmaker to SIU president: 'Go to hell, sir'
* Bill permitting medical marijuana use in schools goes to Rauner
* Madigan: Rauner's death penalty proposal to get hearing Monday
* Illinois Senate approves $40,000 minimum salary for teachers
* Justice Charles Freeman announces retirement from Illinois Supreme Court
* Under the Dome Podcast: Death penalty. Guns. ERA. GOP unity.

* Trump taps Ron Gidwitz to be Belgian ambassador
* Art Institute uses data to give visitors what they want
* Crain's wins 4 Chicago journalism awards
* A tougher carjacking law is about crime, not race, says police chief
* Crain's largest publicly traded companies

* Let Illinois towns pass assault weapons bans
* Woman struck and killed by car on Southwest Side, driver arrested
* The great eatdoors: 20 spots to eat al fresco this summer
* 10 wounded overnight in city shootings
* Chicago archdiocese still evaluating what to do with ‘cardinal’s mansion’
* Man shot in middle of street in Austin neighborhood
* Woman, 25, shot on South Side
* The Chicago Sun-Times guide to summer
* 2 motorcyclists injured in south suburban hit-and-run crash
* Shooting wounds man inside Lawndale business

* 15 hours in Chicago: 18 shot, 1 fatally, including 13-year-old boy
* Tina Fey brings famous friends and her Sarah Palin impression to 'SNL' finale
* 'Saturday Night Live' parodies the royal wedding reception
* Woman hit, killed by car in alcohol-related crash
* What happens when the bully apologizes 60 years later and the story goes public? 'Amazing grace.'
* After Lombard teen severely burned in bonfire explosion, friends bring prom to her
* Expectant parent worries about 'thirdhand smoke'
* Why it's so hard to help with your kid's math homework
* Duplex-down condo in Lincoln Park: $965,000
* CTA to add new HD security cameras, using ride-share money

» The Quandary Behind A Quincy Legionnaires’ Victim’s Death: ‘Where The Heck Was She?’
» State Week: Gun Bills And The Death Penalty, GOP Leadership Fight
» Web Extra, The Week in Review: Biss Endorses Pritzker
» The Week in Review: Obama Presidential Center Gets City’s Approval
» Should The Voting Age Be Lowered?; ‘Hamilton: The Exhibition’; Food As Medicine; Rescuing Tortoises
» Voices Of Chicagoland's Opioid Crisis: Nick Kanehl And Marty Cook
» How To Stop Gun Violence? Just Ask
» #651 John Prine, Opinions on Courtney Barnett & Scott Hutchison
» May 17, 2018 - Full Show
» Obama Presidential Center Clears First Hurdle

* Our View: Another disappointing lack of transparency in Illinois government
* Ralph Martire: Illinois can't afford Rauner's budget 'savings' rhetoric
* BGA: Redistricting reform can't be blocked forever
* Community Foundation for the Land of Lincoln: Forging ahead to serve those who came before us
* Statehouse Insider: Is the happy talk for real?
* Illinois GOP chairman re-elected; Republicans display unity
* GoFundMe makes saving Lincoln artifacts modern, accessible
* Our View: Support legislation that would halt newsprint tariffs
* Guest View: National infrastructure initiative must meet the needs of rural America
* Lisa Madigan: Illinois must continue to invest in vital legal aid organizations

* Documents appear to show SIU president kept Carbondale in the dark on funding shift
* Get inspired! Girls World Expo is today at Decatur Conference Center and Hotel
* New adoptables in Decatur and Macon County. Pick your new dog or cat!
* Vermilion County church bombings 20 years later
* Lewis Elementary School students write about what is important to them
* PHOTOS: Scenes of Spring Around the Area
* 'In the blink of an eye'
* Service to honor survivors of bombing
* DACC names Pate as Distinguished Alumnus
* Decatur and Macon County neighbors: Obituaries published today

* Prince Harry, Meghan Markle's wedding combines British reserve, American verve
* British royal family thanks those who celebrated wedding
* Cougar kills 1 mountain biker, injures 2nd near Seattle
* Rozner: Chicago White Sox games not great, but Steve Stone is
* Facts Matter: Manure dumped on boss's suburban lawn ­-- false

* Scott Pruitt Knew Exactly Who to Blame for...
* 2018 Commencement: NEIU Students and Congr...
* Issues impacting Latinos addressed by US r...
* Ruben Navarrette: Pence goes to Arizona --...
* Grilled by US lawmakers, Trump's EPA chief...
* Rep. Luis Gutierrez passes on presidential...
* Letter: Let's fix the Trump issue - Northw...
* Blockchain Is 'World-Changing', Says US Co...
* Congressional Hearing on UFOs Suggested by...
* How the Public Finance Network will push C...

* Sunday Extra | War with Iran is a bad idea...
* Halpin named to passenger rail commission...
* Figuring out alternatives to prison...
* How area members of Congress voted last week...
* Our View: Support legislation that would h......

* Halpin named to passenger rail commission...
* Senators urge Trump to combat anti-Semitism...
* Legion legislation a good first step to he......
* Bill would make attack aboard train federa......
* Legislation Would Make Attack Aboard Train......

* Free Digital Badge Toolkit Helps Students Show Off Their 21st Century Skills
* Why One Professor Prefers Electronic Ink Over Fancy Tablets
* 7 Roles for Artificial Intelligence in Education
* 2018’s Cities with the Most & Least Student Debt
* It’s time to break silos, look at education as a continuum, leaders say
* Connecticut calls its new Cybersecurity Action Plan a ‘call to arms’
* Are Etextbooks Affordable Now? In a bid to gain market share, publishers have slashed the cost of digital textbooks
* Campus network security officials step up fight against cyberattacks
* Can I get a witness? Illinois has not paid the teacher retirement health system in 17 months. $10 million short a month.
* Milwaukee. 1968.

* Rend Lake Water Conservancy District Water Main Break
* Statement from Gov. Rauner
* IEMA Highlights Emergency Preparedness for People with Access and Functional Needs in May
* IEMA Highlights Role of Volunteers in Disasters
* Governor Rauner activates State Emergency Operations Center in Springfield

* Counter-terrorism police get real training from virtual terrorists
* Here are the winners of the 2018 Nebula Awards
* 6 things I learned marketing for startups (and early stage companies)
* This is what really happens in a Verizon store, according to a store veteran
* The new phones of week 20
* Tinder terms take away your right to sue or file a class action suit
* Got a Snapdragon-powered PC? Sprint has free LTE with your name on it

* Most Essential White Sox Vote: Round 1
* Jimenez racks up season-high 4 hits
* Methup X, success! Chisox nip Texas, 5-3
* White Sox Minor League Update: May 19, 2018
* Palka's 2-run triple helps lift White Sox to win
* Palka's 2-run triple lifts White Sox to win
* Security guard catches foul ball in net