Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » HGOPs launch robocalls targeting 7 House Dems
HGOPs launch robocalls targeting 7 House Dems

Thursday, May 26, 2016

* With just five days left in the scheduled spring session, the House Republicans are blasting out robocalls this evening targeting 7 House Democratic incumbents, including Reps. Michelle Mussman, Sam Yingling, Andrew Skoog, Kate Cloonen, Dan Beiser, John Bradley and Brandon Phelps. I’m told they’re contacting 12-20,000 households in each district. The ads feature sound bites of House Speaker Michael Madigan talking about raising taxes and refusing to work with Gov. Rauner.

* Press release…

Last night and this afternoon, House Democrats decided to put their allegiance to Mike Madigan over the financial health of Illinois, voting twice for a disastrous budget that would create a $7 billion deficit and necessitate a $1,000 tax hike on Illinois families. This is a clear signal that they would rather jump off the fiscal cliff than stand up to Mike Madigan.

* The calls are all basically the same, so here’s the one against Rep. Skoog

* Script…

Yesterday, State Rep Andrew Skoog voted for Speaker Mike Madigan’s job-crushing, $1,000 tax hike on Illinois families.

That’s right, Skoog sided with Madigan to increase Illinois’ debt by $7 billion and force record high income tax rates.

It’s been the Madigan-Skoog plan all along.

Last year, Madigan said taking the income tax back up 5% was

MADIGAN: “a good place to begin, good place to begin would be the level we were at before the income tax expired”

Then this month, Madigan said his only goal for the session was to say no to job-creating economic reforms alongside a balanced budget.

He told ABC News:

MADIGAN: “My further goal is not to agree with the governor.”

The Madigan-Skoog plan is clear: record high taxes and no job-creating economic reforms.”

Paid for by the House Republican Organization.

Discuss.

1. - unspun - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:21 pm:

Not the acts of someone seeking a deal

2. - 47th Ward - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:22 pm:

This will surely help to achieve compromise.

3. - James Knell - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:23 pm:

The Rauner Plan is also clear, no social services except by court order, privatized state universities, and late payments if you are desperate enough to do business with the State of Illinois. “You’ll never notice the difference.”

4. - 47th Ward - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:23 pm:

Also, which is it? A $1000 tax hike or $7 billion in new debt. It can’t be both.

5. - Bleh - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:24 pm:

Seriously, the “Madigan-Skoog [other Rep name] plan”? Give me a break ILGOP.

While I did think it was odd that some of them voted for the bill, whereas others in more reliable districts (K. Cassidy) voted no - I hope the HDems have their messaging ready.

6. - Birdseed - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:25 pm:

Ouch. It’s gotta be tough to go back to your District and tell them you voted for $7 Billion more in expenditures than current proceeds - at least with a straight face.

7. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:25 pm:

“Who” wants to make the case that the timing of this is remotely smart or helping in any way.

What Democratic legislator is going to say, “ok, I’ll help the Governor get to 60″

Between Yaffe and #TaxHikeMike yesterday and press releases today… It’s like no Raunerite Staffer feels the need to help in the governing.

Let’s be very clear… The $5 million given recently, and the $2 million of that given to HRO being used RIGHT NOW… isn’t by happenstance, accident, coincidence, or chance.

Even if every single thing was going swimmingly, Adjournment would still have 5 days left in the clock.

Lemme guess…

“You know what, I dunno what’s goin’ on, but you know what, I’ll tell you ehat o hear is goin’ on, and you know what, I don’t like to talk politics when workin’ as your governor, and you know what, we’ll beat Mile Madigan”

This is “breaking the peace”, and it’s not helping the process.

Hard to make the argument Rauner wants a deal when the politics of the voice on the phone says otherwise.

8. - AC - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:27 pm:

==job-crushing==

Crushing? Does it always need to be crushing? Why not pulverizing? Or, for a change of pace, what about destroying? In any case, I don’t think that’ll help get the tax increase required by Rauner’s own budget passed.

9. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:27 pm:

===Ouch. It’s gotta be tough to go back to your District and tell them you voted for $7 Billion more in expenditures than current proceeds - at least with a straight face===

“Ouch. It’s gotta be tough to go back to your District and tell them there are no more expenditures for social services, higher ed, K-12 funding, and the governor vetoed the last one - at least with a straight face”

Better

10. - burbanite - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:31 pm:

I am hearing there are robocalls going out on Senate members too. How to win friends and influence people. Not.

Stop campaigning, Govern!

11. - AC - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:33 pm:

==record high taxes and no job-creating economic reforms==

It’s a good thing the Republican plans don’t need higher taxes, also good that union busting isn’t a part of the plan, only reforms. /s

12. - The Captain - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:34 pm:

Well, they just got $2 million from the state party so assuming these 7 districts average about 15,000 households …

$2,000,000 - (15,000 HH * 7 districts * 1.5 cents/ea) =

$2,000,000 - $1,575 = $1,998,425

The House Republicans can afford to do this 1,269 more times too. (and 1.5 cents/robo call is probably on the high side)

13. - Juvenal - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:34 pm:

By November, these same lawmakers will have either voted against Rauner’s tax hike or fought Governor Rauner’s efforts to close their schools.

Raise your hands if anyone thinks the public is gonna care that Rep Skoog voted for an unbalanced budget in November if all of the schools are closed?

Raise your hands if you think they are gonna blame him instead of Governor Rauner, who vetoed legislation to make sure the schools were open?

14. - Cubs in '16 - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:34 pm:

“Then this month, Madigan said his only goal for the session was to say no to job-creating economic reforms…”

What are these reforms they speak of?

15. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:36 pm:

This state isn’t going to have a budget the entire time Rauner is governor, is it?

*sigh*

16. - Honeybear - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:37 pm:

I’m not trying to be a putz but why even do those robocalls? I delete them right off the bat and it’s even coming from my union! I have to believe that they aren’t effective at all.

To OW’s fine point, this was planned. They could have even waited a few days to dispel the thought but they had to fire it off.
    At least when I pop my mouth off, I honestly and obviously don’t know what’s going on and hadn’t planned to engage in passionate theatrics.

And they all wonder why so many of feel betrayed and angry by the establishment!

17. - Formerly Known As... - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:39 pm:

Carrots and sticks. Tip of the iceberg, just a =reminder= if you will.

Hopefully compromise prevails.

18. - Jocko - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:40 pm:

I miss the part of the message where Bruce says he needs 4.75% (aka $750 tax hike)

19. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:42 pm:

===Carrots and sticks. Tip of the iceberg, just a =reminder= if you will.===

- FKA -

C’mom, bud. You’re better than this. Read Emily Miller in that Post today and tell me this “carrot and stick” makes any sense.

20. - NeveroddoreveN - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:44 pm:

Good use of money and resources HGOP. The robocalls will show ‘em!

21. - Hit or Miss - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:49 pm:

Is there a list of items that Rauner would like to cut from the Democratic budget plan so as to balance the budget? Which $7 billon would he like to see reduced or removed?

22. - Moe Berg - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:55 pm:

The governor doesn’t want a tax increase. He never has. The current rates will, in time, strangle state government. Ignore the rhetoric and focus on the actions, or lack thereof. He brought in Donna Arduin. Look no further than what has happened to KS - also her handiwork.

23. - Amalia - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 4:59 pm:

it’s going to be a long haul until the election…..

24. - Saluki - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 5:09 pm:

Governor George Armstrong Rauner still does not get it.

25. - lake county democrat - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 5:24 pm:

Honeybear for the win - I’m amazed that robocalls are effective (the only reason I’m not convinced they’re -not- effective is that people keep doing them…)

Radio ads would be another matter.

26. - ILPundit - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 5:31 pm:

Just for those keeping score, the Velvet Hammer poisoned the well yesterday by pushing through a Democrat-only budget bill (and doing it again this morning).

This however, is totally cool.

27. - Formerly Known As... - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 5:39 pm:

Oswego Willy - replay shows I blew the call. 2 minutes in the penalty box for roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct.

28. - Carrots - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 5:42 pm:

Do people really listen to Robo calls? Caller ID… Prevents me from even answering most Robo calls. In the event I do answer the phone… The minute the pre recorded voice starts….I hang up.

29. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 5:44 pm:

===These calls have the same affect as running that =budget=. It disrupts progress and does not help compromise right now.===

Agreed. The governing points that sending that bill last night and today wasn’t helpful, and like I’ve said, knowing if won’t be veto-proof had only one purpose, while allowing Rauner, if it gets to his desk, to make choices,

Adding…

…when a compromise and a clean signature IS governing, period.

30. - AlfondoGonz - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 6:17 pm:

I saw this coming as soon as that weasel Demmer questioned those 7 reps after the verification.

Demmer is a child of the corn, partially grown-up.

31. - Honeybear - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 6:18 pm:

Hey OW, I hope I didn’t disrespect you yesterday. I apologize if I did. I get passionate. I get hopped up and into Officer mode and I sometimes get over my skis. If I offended you I’m sorry. I do listen to everything you say, even if I didn’t want to hear it at the time. If I offended you I’m truly sorry.

32. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 6:24 pm:

- Honeybear -

Heck no! My thoughts a $3 gets you coffee somewhere.

We’re good, were good, no worries at all on my end.

33. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 6:28 pm:

- Honeybear -

You’re very kind, and if I felt offended (which I didn’t at all in any way) I would’ve calls ya on it… lol

Don’t sweat me. OW

34. - Anony - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 6:41 pm:

Wow, proof that OW is a regular person! Good to see.

35. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 6:55 pm:

“Allowing the governor…to make choices.”

Opportunities for choices are opportunities for mistakes, but they also reveal you character and your true objectives.

36. - Anonymous - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 7:07 pm:

Whatever the additional revenue ends up being, it will be lastly approved with a signature by the Governor.

37. - old elephant - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 7:11 pm:

If they were going to go to this expense why didn’t they use a professional voice? The voice is way too weak and the message way too long. Should have stuck to the Madigan quote about saying no to reforms with about 15 seconds using a more professional and less rushed voice.

38. - Mouthy - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 7:38 pm:

I’d be surprised if very many people last more that a few seconds with these, and others like it, calls..

39. - illini - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 7:57 pm:

So Phelps and Bradley are targeted - both have had the Rauner targets on their backs for some time.

Both Southern Illinois Dems - neither of whom represent me, and with whom I do disagree with on some of their pet issues.

My bet - these robocalls will not change their votes on this issue and both will be comfortably reelected in November.

40. - wordslinger - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:14 pm:

Who’s heading up this brainstorm, Mark Hanna? Were smoke signals and telegrams considered too edgy?

Just because it’s cheap, doesn’t mean it’s anything more than annoying. And just because there’s a phone connection, doesn’t mean that it’s a “completed message.”

41. - Tired - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:15 pm:

Every GOP House member and Senator need to explain how they helped the people Emily Miller wrote about today. It is time to stop following this governor and represent the people who live in their districts.

42. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:17 pm:

@Illini:

Phelps has taken The (no new tax) Pledge.

Going after Bradley? Chairman of the Revenue Committee. Where Durkin will one day present the Rauner Tax Hike for a vote. Hope they aren’t counting on a Yes from Bradley.

What is your End Game guys? You seem to still be playing for a Win while Democrats are playing for a draw.

I think I had more tournament wins playing black for a Draw than I ever had playing White.

“I don’t believe in psychology.

All that matters on the chessboard is good moves.”

They have wasted 17 months and a lot of moves trying to get in Madigan’s head.

43. - A. Nonymous - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:26 pm:

Illinois has highest unemployment rate. Picture in the news shows Rauner.

Own it.

44. - Fool On The Hill - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:28 pm:

Just received an automated push poll using the some of the exact language from the script. Basically it was an anti Madigan ad. I had some fun with it.

45. - walker - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:45 pm:

Same as it always was.

46. - Tough Guy - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:51 pm:

And the HGOP solution is…………?

47. - Cadillac - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:52 pm:

=== - Yellow Dog Democrat - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:17 pm:

Phelps has taken The (no new tax) Pledge. ===

I’m guessing you think Phelps can convince his District that he voted for $7 Billion more in spending without a tax increase. Good luck with that.

48. - Me too - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 8:58 pm:

Bargaining in good faith as always /s

49. - Blue dog dem - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 9:53 pm:

What a bunch of a….holes. this is why I can’t be a republican.

50. - Angry Chicagoan - Thursday, May 26, 16 @ 10:37 pm:

Moe Berg has it right. This is disaster capitalism at its most grotesque. If this is what Rauner wants, let him own it. The voters made their intentions clear in one respect by returning overwhelming Democratic majorities to the state house — in stark contrast to what was going on elsewhere, and a slim probationary margin to Rauner. As I see it, Madigan has little option but to continue the stalemate, and we’ll see what the voters say with the legislature in November. And that will continue as long as Rauner believes his slim margin trumps the Democrats’ large one. And if the voters should flip the legislature, then we can see how they feel about Kansas redux.

51. - RNUG - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 1:01 am:

At least the robo-call companies and political ad companies are a growth industry in Illinois.

52. - Annonin' - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 7:58 am:

Sheer genius…Pat Brady startin’ to look better. …not really. ..meanwhile must ask if this is best he gets for five million…also makes Durkie and squeeze the beast look like total dopes…Durkie cause it is his committee…Squeeze cause she is left out again

53. - Rabid - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 8:11 am:

My govenor’s managment style of fear and intimidation is wearing thin with the public. We all know someone like him

54. - siriusly - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 8:38 am:

“Reagan proved deficits don’t matter” - Dick Cheney

55. - Joe K. - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 8:38 am:

Anyone that votes according to a robocall that they received doesn’t deserve a vote. Do some research, for Pete’s sake!!

56. - Indochine - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 8:42 am:

Worst voiceover ever.

57. - siriusly - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 8:47 am:

HGOP if you think this line of attack works - please show us an example of the legislator who lost an election for voting for a budget that was not balanced.

Governor Rauner needs a tax increase to balance the budget. But he won’t get one by blasting members (with his own personal money) who voted for a budget that is out of balance but didn’t even have the tax increase in it.

I think this is the Rauner aspect that Jim Edgar disliked so much. Total lack of courage and leadership. What Governor Rauner really needs to do as a leader is stand up, look the Illinois voters in the eye and tell us we need a tax increase to pay for human services and education.

He’s a coward and he is being very dishonest by pretending we don’t need more revenue to pay for our obligations. I suspect that is why Jim Edgar doesn’t respect him. It’s intellectual dishonesty to pretend that he can balance the budget without a tax increase.

58. - Georg Sande - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 8:49 am:

Awesome!

59. - Peoria Guy - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 8:54 am:

Madigan appears to have egg on his face over his latest move.

60. - big Ed - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 9:55 am:

All of you commenting should find a life in a new state and find how dysfunctional you are without your petty political clout. your fascination and celebrity with the right and wrong of state politics and personal interests over good governance is disturbing. If you all believe there is anything other than one party in Illinois you are sadly mistaken. And I pity you.

61. - fool on the hill - Friday, May 27, 16 @ 10:23 am:

And I pity you big ed. You clearly have no perspective and no understanding of politics and the conversation of politics. Please go somewhere else.

* Unsolicited advice
* Sometimes, it's not just a bill
* Dueling press releases
* Good politics isn’t necessarily good government
* Hampton's attorneys to speak to the media tomorrow
* McCann lashes out after TRO denied
* Process police fails to understand process
* *** LIVE *** Session coverage

* Mick Jagger Sends Message to Illinois Reps on E.....
* Rauners moving back to Illinois governor's mans.....
* Rauners moving back to Illinois governor's mans.....
* Rauners moving back to Illinois governor's mans.....
* Disaster Order For 9 Southern Illinois Counties.....
* Tigers find their groove to make it three in a row..
* Rauners moving back to Illinois governor's mans.....
* Illinois governor gets hearing on reinstating d.....
* Rauner Gets Hearing on Reinstating Death Penalt.....
* Illinois governor gets hearing on reinstating d.....

* Dean accused of harassment resurfaces at 2 other schools
* List of top baby names in Illinois includes Noah, Olivia
* Rauners moving back to Illinois governor's mansion
* Illinois governor gets hearing on reinstating death penalty
* Bridge replacement to close rural route near Peoria
* CTA getting new high-definition cameras for downtown stops
* Police suspect driver who killed pedestrian was drunk
* Wildlife Prairie Park to add 14 new cabins
* Winner of karaoke contest to perform at Illinois State Fair
* U of I performing arts center to mark 50th anniversary

* Illinois GOP chairman re-elected; Republicans display unity
* GoFundMe makes saving Lincoln artifacts modern, accessible
* Gov. Rauner ally Ken Dunkin given $70K Chicago post
* Madigan wants information on governor's Legionnaires' fix
* State lawmaker to SIU president: 'Go to hell, sir'
* Bill permitting medical marijuana use in schools goes to Rauner
* Madigan: Rauner's death penalty proposal to get hearing Monday
* Illinois Senate approves $40,000 minimum salary for teachers
* Justice Charles Freeman announces retirement from Illinois Supreme Court
* Under the Dome Podcast: Death penalty. Guns. ERA. GOP unity.

* Fifth Third to buy MB Financial
* Trump taps Ron Gidwitz to be Belgian ambassador
* Art Institute uses data to give visitors what they want
* Crain's wins 4 Chicago journalism awards

* Minimum-wage protesters take Fight for $15 to McDonald’s West Loop headquarters
* Divided Supreme Court rules for businesses over workers
* Orioles, Isle Royale wolves, wild flowers, MOTW: Notes around Chicago outdoors
* 18 shot Sunday in Chicago; body part found in Chicago River | May 21, 2018
* Pompeo threatens Iran with ‘strongest sanctions in history’
* Why Millennials are going braless (the reasons might surprise you)
* Trump defends US trade dealings with China
* 3 burglaries hit near same block in Bridgeport
* Top baby names in Illinois include Noah, Olivia
* Fifth Third spends $4.7 billion for Chicago’s MB Financial

* Divided Supreme Court rules for businesses over workers
* Pompeo issues steep demands for nuclear treaty with Iran
* Hearing impairment does not deter Lake County Citizen Police Academy graduate
* School shootings, Ritalin and the NRA's culture of convenient excuses
* What happened to that 'Blackish' episode? Last week, TV networks faced uncomfortable questions
* Vegas Golden Knights are four wins from the NHL’s 'Miracle On Ice'
* Yes, President Trump, there is a difference between HIV and HPV. Here's a handy tipsheet
* Chicago baseball saw four exciting starts this weekend, but Yu Darvish's meant the most
* Play ball! Dutch & Doc's opens Thursday in Wrigleyville
* NYPD probing sex allegations against celebrity chef Mario Batali

» Sports Betting Negotiations Jump-Started In Illinois
» The Quandary Behind A Quincy Legionnaires’ Victim’s Death: ‘Where The Heck Was She?’
» State Week: Gun Bills And The Death Penalty, GOP Leadership Fight
» Web Extra, The Week in Review: Biss Endorses Pritzker
» The Week in Review: Obama Presidential Center Gets City’s Approval
» Should The Voting Age Be Lowered?; ‘Hamilton: The Exhibition’; Food As Medicine; Rescuing Tortoises
» Voices Of Chicagoland's Opioid Crisis: Nick Kanehl And Marty Cook
» How To Stop Gun Violence? Just Ask
» #651 John Prine, Opinions on Courtney Barnett & Scott Hutchison
» May 17, 2018 - Full Show

* George Will: Battling campus oppression of the freedom of expression
* Our View: Another disappointing lack of transparency in Illinois government
* Ralph Martire: Illinois can't afford Rauner's budget 'savings' rhetoric
* BGA: Redistricting reform can't be blocked forever
* Community Foundation for the Land of Lincoln: Forging ahead to serve those who came before us
* Statehouse Insider: Is the happy talk for real?
* Illinois GOP chairman re-elected; Republicans display unity
* GoFundMe makes saving Lincoln artifacts modern, accessible
* Our View: Support legislation that would halt newsprint tariffs
* Guest View: National infrastructure initiative must meet the needs of rural America

* Now hiring in Decatur and Macon County. Recently posted employment opportunities for job seekers
* New adoptables in Decatur and Macon County. Pick your new dog or cat!
* Decatur and Macon County neighbors: Obituaries published today
* Solar farm proposal draws opposition in Woodford
* Volunteers needed to place flags for Memorial Day
* Rick's Six: Rain, more road work, fatal shooting, razor blades, and river search
* These steps can reduce allergy symptoms
* What should you do if your car gets stuck on the RR tracks?
* Local family heirloom unveiled amid royal wedding buzz
* Area Calendar 5/21/18

* Through the Film Magnifier: A new way to see vintage suburbia in old pictures
* The opioid epidemic, a 360 degree view
* Blankenship to seek US Senate seat as 3rd-party candidate
* LGBT community cheers pope's 'God made you like this' remark
* Trump pulls back from brink of trade war with China

* Blockchain Is 'World-Changing', Says US Co...
* Congressional Hearing on UFOs Suggested by...
* How the Public Finance Network will push C...
* Congressional town halls: Old-fashioned an...
* CNN House Key Race alerts: A dozen GOP-hel...
* Valerie books prestigious Edinburgh Festiv...
* Critics call White House plan another 'dom...
* Voters miss Obama because they respect int...
* Voters miss Obama because they respect int...
* Critics call White House plan another 'dom...

* Jewish Voice for Peace, Evanston residents......
* Our View: Support legislation that would h......
* Be Transparent When Advertising Drugs, Sen......
* Dems, Trump Admin Find Common Ground: Help......
* Sunday Extra | War with Iran is a bad idea...

* Spencer Black: Republican Party is awash i......
* Jewish Voice for Peace, Evanston residents......
* Our View: Support legislation that would h......
* Donald Trump nominees delayed by more than......
* Trump claims Democrats 'obstruct' his nomi......

* Coming to Illinois: Allegations of Pot-Related Corruption Hit a California Town
* Illinois Prof says 'wealth redistribution' key to 'sexual fulfillment'
* Planned Parenthood organizes mob to protest Rep. Breen fundraiser
* Thorner: Andrzejewski brings Open Government Movement to City Club event
* Playing the Black Card
* Have any events to share with us?
* Vietnam/Gaza.
* Parents keep the kids home to protest gun violence? These school reformers should just keep their brilliant ideas to themselves for a while. Their record isn’t good.
* 6 Ultra-Sensory Chicago Picnic Spots
* Forsaking great story for politics: HUAC, blacklists and 'High Noon'

* Rend Lake Water Conservancy District Water Main Break
* Statement from Gov. Rauner
* IEMA Highlights Emergency Preparedness for People with Access and Functional Needs in May
* IEMA Highlights Role of Volunteers in Disasters
* Governor Rauner activates State Emergency Operations Center in Springfield

* Leading a successful digital transformation
* YubiKey: Protect your Facebook, Google, and other online accounts for as little as $18 with this hardware authentication key
* OnePlus Bullets Wireless review: exceeding expectations
* LG G7 ThinQ gets a $750 FRP and introductory BOGO deal at T-Mobile
* Amazon’s Alexa will be preloaded on Acer’s new laptops
* LG G7 ThinQ: Price, availability, and release date (Update: US price revealed)
* No service? No problem with the personal mobile networking goTenna — and save almost $25

* Most Essential White Sox Vote: Round 2
* Sox fan conquers 2,700 calories of ice cream
* White Sox Minor League Report: May 20, 2018
* Collins homers twice for 1st 3-hit game
* Yaz surprised Hawk during White Sox broadcast
* Abreu's routine leads to consistent results
* Lopez dominates Rangers for 1st win of 2018