Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x1 *** Trump predicts Illinois win, lashes out at Kirk
*** UPDATED x1 *** Trump predicts Illinois win, lashes out at Kirk

Thursday, Jul 7, 2016

* WaPo

Donald Trump’s private meeting Thursday with Senate Republicans – designed to foster greater party unity ahead of the national convention in Cleveland — grew combative as the presumptive presidential nominee admonished three senators who have been critical of his candidacy and predicted they would lose their reelection bids, according to two Republican officials with direct knowledge of the exchanges. […]

Trump also called out Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), who withdrew his endorsement of Trump last month citing the business mogul’s racially-based attacks on a federal judge, and said he did not approve of the senator’s action, said the officials.

Characterizing Kirk as a loser, Trump vowed that he would carry Illinois in the general election even though the state traditionally has been solidly Democratic in presidential contests. Kirk did not attend the meeting with Trump.

Unreal.

But it’s good for Kirk if you believe a spat with Trump will help.

…Adding… Sen. Kirk’s response…

“As I stated last month, I have come to the conclusion that Donald Trump lacks the judgment and temperament to lead our military and our nation.”

*** UPDATE ***  AP

Asked about them later, Kirk told The Associated Press: “I’ve run for election six times in Illinois. Really tough races for the Congress and for the Senate and won every race. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here.”

On why Trump would say Kirk would lose: “I guess the bully side of him. We haven’t seen a personality like his too much in the Midwest. Eastern, privileged, wealthy bully. Our bullies are made of better stuff in Illinois. We’re much more practical and polite.”

Kirk joked that he’s not on Trump’s Christmas card list anymore.

[ *** End Of Update *** ]

* And speaking of the presidential race, here’s the Democratic Party of Illinois…

This morning, Republican Mark Kirk took a peculiar detour from his partisan attack on Secretary Clinton by once again stating his intention to write in disgraced former CIA Director David Petraeus for President. Petraeus resigned in disgrace, had his security clearance revoked, hid classified material in his attic, and plead guilty to intentionally sharing classified information with his biographer, who was also his mistress. Kirk made the comments on a radio interview with WGN. In response, Democratic Party of Illinois spokesperson Sean Savett released the following statement:

“Is Mark Kirk serious with this? Immediately after leveling a partisan attack on Secretary Clinton, he encouraged others to join him in voting for an individual who isn’t running for President and did something the FBI said was ‘far worse’ by lying to investigators and knowingly leaking classified information, for which he plead guilty. It’s one thing for Kirk to reverse himself on supporting Donald Trump, the toxic presumptive Republican nominee who had Kirk’s support right up until his Illinois poll numbers went south — that’s just politics, and Kirk is nothing if not a typical politician. But to encourage others to throw away their votes on the disgraced former CIA director who isn’t seeking the office is absurd, and yet another reason it’s hard to take Mark Kirk seriously anymore.”

Here’s an abridged transcript of what Kirk said this morning. To listen to his full comments about Secretary Clinton and David Petraeus, click here.

COCHRAN: I share your concerns about Trump every day with people. And then I look at the alternative choice and I never thought I’d be in a position to even consider voting for Hillary Clinton. And yet here we are with those being our two main choices. I don’t know what to say to people when they say every day, ‘Well, what are we supposed to do?’

KIRK: Cochran, I got a way out for you. I’m gonna, I’m gonna write in Petraeus when I vote. And I encourage you too. I want to see Petraeus get a lot of votes so that just shows that there are thinking people out there that are really concerned about the security of the United States. Thinking that someone who has an outstanding potential as Commander-in-Chief and can be, should be, our new leader. With these two choices that you almost think it’s Tweedle-Dee Dumb and Tweedle-Dee bad.

Write-in votes aren’t counted in Illinois if the candidate isn’t registered in each county. It’s a complete waste of effort and Kirk undoubtedly knows it.

* On the Petraeus front, here’s FBI Director James Comey today

But Petraeus clearly did show evidence of intentionally violating the law, Comey said.

Not only was Petraeus caught on tape telling his mistress and biographer that there was “code word stuff” in the “highly classified” material he slipped to her, the retired general also lied about a cache of classified material he had hidden in his attic, Comey said, comprising obstruction of justice and further evidence that he “knew what he was doing was a violation of the law.”

“We found [the classified materials] in a search warrant hidden under the insulation in his attic, and then he lied to us about it during the investigation.”

“That is the perfect illustration of the kind of cases that get prosecuted,” Comey said. “In my mind, it illustrates perfectly the distinction between this case.”

1. - John Gregory (ex-IRN) - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:12 pm:

Kinzinger also laid into Trump in the WaPo article:

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) described Trump’s remarks in the meeting as “a lot of stream of consciousness” akin to what he says at rallies but “less cheery.”

He said Trump brought up his recent comments about Saddam Hussein “in the context of how unfair the media has been to him.” Trump has praised the former Iraqi dictator for being “so good” at killing terrorists while adding that’s all he thinks was good about a “bad guy, really bad guy.”

Kinzinger called Trump’s previous comments about Hussein “disgusting and despicable.” He said it was “awkward” to hear the GOP nominee defend his remarks in the room.

2. - Huh? - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:12 pm:

“… then he lied to us about it during the investigation.”

3. - Harvest76 - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:19 pm:

Trump predicted a win in illinois? For which candidate?

4. - Doug Simpson - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:20 pm:

As to Kirk. Who cares.

5. - Amalia - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:22 pm:

Petraeus’ attic sure was an interesting place!

6. - @MisterJayEm - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:28 pm:

“It’s ok to lie to the American public to win such minor elected offices as President. Just don’t lie to the FBI during an investigation.”

Not ok ≠ crime
    Not a crime ≠ ok

– MrJM

7. - OneMan - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:43 pm:

Ummm, no….

8. - Vole - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:45 pm:

The party of “NO” may be progressing to “NO WAY!”. If the Republicans could not stop Trump, then by gosh, Trump may to do it all by himself.
    Which just kind of confirms the speculation that Trump really never intended to win even the primary.

9. - Former State Employee - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:54 pm:

I guess the real question is will Trump win California or Illinois by a larger margin since he has predicted both

10. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 12:57 pm:

I’m a Republican, don’t subscribe to any of what stands for, touts, or the persona that is Trump.

===Republicans LOVE everything that Trump says! They have been waiting YEARS for a candidate like this.===

We don’t. Please stop.

Look around. Not many way to g to share a stage with Trump, heck Gov. Walker, in a tweet, “endorsed”… “the nominee”… without saying the name “Trump”.

That’s been the rule, not the exception.

Capiche?

11. - Doug Simpson - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:05 pm:

@oneman:

Ummmm, yes.

But to me its all the same, Republican is Republican. Paul Ryan is a Republican and has endorsed him. Bruce Rauner is a Republican and has just said he wont attend the Convention but I guess that means he still endorses him.

At least Mark Kirk has taken a stand.

They just act like he’s everybodys crazy uncle at Thanksgiving dinner.

12. - zatoichi - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:07 pm:

And I thought hidding valuables under the attic insulation would be a good idea. Those Federal guys look everywhere.

13. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:13 pm:

===I guess if you mean the Conservative brand of the Republican Party….I suppose your right.===

No. You’re wrong.

My good friend - OneMan - wouldn’t classify my a traditional conservative and I’m not with Trump by any stretch.

===But to me its all the same.===

Ugh.

14. - Ron Burgundy - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:16 pm:

= I guess that means he still endorses him. =

So not actually endorsing him = endorsing him. Got it.

15. - Wensicia - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:19 pm:

Trump’s comments do help Kirk, but he needs to drop the Petraeus endorsement. Bad timing.

16. - Try-4-Truth - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:21 pm:

Those are your guys.

17. - @MisterJayEm - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:23 pm:

Trump’s nomination is the GOP’s vilest chickens coming home to roost. And while Democrats smirk and sneer, their chickens lie in wait…

– MrJM

18. - phocion - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:25 pm:

Willy, don’t feed the troll.

19. - train111 - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:30 pm:

Seeing that the Democratic State Senate committee is ponying up for a campaign worker for Corrine Pierog in the 25th could possibly mean-they don’t have enough races to spend their money on–or they are gambling that Trump will tank so hard in suburbia that this seat could possibly be in play-which is totally out of left field.

For Trump winning Illinois–in the eternal words of Bugs Bunny–”What a maroon”

20. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:30 pm:

But to me its all the same, Republican is Republican.

Well if you are going to use a monolithic definition of what a Republican is that fits your worldview then I suppose it can fit whatever you want. It is a bit like me saying after drinking a vodka (I am not a vodka drinker) that this vodka is what vodka drinkers are been waiting for and they are going to love this.

I don’t recall any time in my lifetime where a portion of major figures in a political party have distanced themselves from the presidential nominee like this. Senators saying they can’t support the candidate, I don’t recall that happening in my lifetime

Hell as someone who was a township party official in the GOP I do see something good coming out of this, if you are in fact right and he is what the GOP is than it will be that much easier for me to go Libertarian (on most social issues they are a better fit for me anyway).

But as someone who I suppose can still be referred to as a Republican, I can say he isn’t the candidate I have been looking for and he hasn’t said much (if anything) that I have been looking for a candidate to say.

21. - Bigtwich - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:44 pm:

“vilest chickens coming home to roost”

I think I saw that. Was it by Hieronymus Bosch?

22. - blue dog dem - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:44 pm:

Trump won’t win Illinois. Kirk won’t win illinois. Trump will come closer than Kirk.

23. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:46 pm:

===OW — Party members own. They own Trump, and they own Rauner. Sorry, but they are your standard bearers. I owned Quinn and Blagojevich. It sucked, but I did.

Those are your guys.===

Nope.

I have a LONG history here why Rauner is a Raunerite, I am a Republican, and why during Rod’s unfortunate rule I swore to myself if the ILGOP had a person as completely destructive to Illinois as Rod came to lead my party I’d speak often and loudly my displeasure.

I’ve kept that promise to myself. Rauner has taken over the ILGOP, but the party is a name, a brand, and the politics are Raunerite politics.

I don’t own that, neither does Jim Edgar.

Where were those screaming at Rod? There were some, and they should be commended, but if you think for one second that I’m not a Republican, or that Rauner IS a Republican, and that I own policy and governing I continually rail against, nope, that’s not happening.

With great respect, a Party is not a religion, nor should people agree on all things, nor should anyone be required to agree on everything to BE a part of any party, but… the fundamentals of a party, when corrupted for an agenda, and hijacked for a cause and a man… no, I don’t own that, and not should any who see the truth.

OW

24. - Huh? - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:53 pm:

OW have the courage of your convictions.

Either you are a Republician with Trump and 1.4% as the political standard bearers.

Or you say that Trump and 1.4% do not represent your views of the Republican party and withdraw from the party like George Will did.

There is nothing wrong with being an independent, right or left. So come on in. The water is fine.

25. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:54 pm:

Kirk rarely disappoints when it comes to his own unique brand of weird.

Why Petraeus, though? What’s the attraction? Why not Colin Powell? Petraeus steps all over today’s “Hilary scandal” message that the team is flogging.

Of course, last week, the team was screaming for Comey to make the call instead of Lynch. Now that it didn’t go their way, Comey is supposedly in on the conspiracy.

The No. 2 guy in W’s Justice Department, in the tank for Clinton…..

These guys can’t get out of their own way. No wonder Trump is the national leader.

26. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:57 pm:

===and withdraw from the party like George Will did.===

Who the heck cares what George Will does?

Seriously.

There are no “either or’s” in life. There are many paths than can be followed. And he, or me, or anyone else, do not have to succumb to your silly constructs.

Either stop arguing like a child or leave.

27. - Illinois Bob - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 1:58 pm:

Too bad Roskam couldn’t be convinced to take Kirk’s place on the ballot. At least he’s a Republican and he may have had a shot against Tammy.

Regarding supporting Trump, I wish someone with more gravitas could’ve gotten the nomination, but none of the other 17 understood the issues most on the minds of the Primary voters. Trump expressed the people’s rage of the corrupt Washington elite, and it resonated.

Lots of parallels with Rauner there. He showed no knowledge or plan to deal with Illinois’ problems either politically or operationally, but he understood the disgust of the voters regarding Springfield and the crooked Ill government in general.

At least Trump has some good advisors on policy lined up who DO understand the issues, the politics and policies…and he listens to them. I wish we could say the same of Rauner.

28. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 2:01 pm:

Trump has never been my candidate. His record has been clearly Democratic, especially on social issues, than Republican. I don’t support him.

Two years ago, I felt the same about Rauner.

I remember Democrats being stuck with turkeys under their party banner. I never claimed that those turkeys represented the Democrats. When Blagojevich was their candidate, I wanted to see my Democratic friends denounce him - they didn’t. Lisa Madigan didn’t endorse him. We all knew why.

So let’s stop wrecking friendships over Trump. Stop talking lIke he’s wanted by the Illinois GOP. Claiming he is-is an obvious mistruth.

Both parties are on the verge of anointing turkeys. Neither Trump or “OJ” Clinton is more attractive than the 20 other presidential candidates that ran this year. Watching both parties decompose with these turkeys at the top is going to suck.

Imagine if the next gubernatorial election was between Rauner or Jerry Springer. Everyone is owed better.

Beating one another over the head as to whom has the biggest turkey candidate doesn’t help us forget that they are both complete turkeys.

CapFax folks deserve better, regardless of our politics.

29. - Huh? - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 2:04 pm:

“… a Party is not a religion, nor should people agree on all things, nor should anyone be required to agree on everything to BE a part of any party, but… the fundamentals of a party, when corrupted for an agenda, and hijacked for a cause and a man… no, I don’t own that, and not should any who see the truth.”

OW - I agree with everything you wrote. However, recent history has shown that the party is a religion and everybody must agree to the agenda to be a member of the party. Regardless of the party being hijacked for an agenda or by a person, party members blindly follow along no matter how damaging.

30. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 2:13 pm:

===However, recent history has shown that the party is a religion and everybody must agree to the agenda to be a member of the party.===

If you leverage $20 million against Caucuses, it’s more about falling into line then actually towing the line. A very large, distinct difference, and while I have my concerns with Leaders Radogno and Durkin, unlike Rauner, I root openly for the Leaders, and here’s the rub, many times my chastising them seems to run counter, I’d like to think they see my thoughts on their face as why they too might find issue with Raunerite policy as they tow the line, because others require all to fall into line.

===Regardless of the party being hijacked for an agenda or by a person, party members blindly follow along no matter how damaging.===

I’d point out in instance or 3 where Rauner’s grasp was too tight, and those “blindly following” threatened to rebel and got their way.

It’s how its perceived that’s driving this “absolutism”, not how it’s actually playing out?

With respect.

31. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 2:33 pm:

–Too bad Roskam couldn’t be convinced to take Kirk’s place on the ballot.–

Huh? “Convinced” by whom, when? On this planet?

Did Kirk offer not to run? Did he offer to withdraw from the ballot after he won the primary?

On this planet, Gidwitz — who used to be big-money heat — made some noises about Kirk dropping out before the primary and within hours, literally, the Rauner crew had beaten him to a bloody pulp and had him crying uncle.

There’s only one boss of the Illinois GOP, Bob. On this planet.

32. - Cheryl44 - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 2:37 pm:

Mark Kirk sold out this country first, and the GOP second.

33. - Albany Park Patriot - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 3:35 pm:

Trump must really be compensating for something given that he has to make totally unbelievable brags all the time.

34. - illinois bob - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 3:37 pm:

@Wordslinger

=There’s only one boss of the Illinois GOP, Bob. On this planet.=

I assume that you’re speaking of Rauner, Word, and if he’s the one who was pushing for Kirk over better candidates, it’s pretty much consistent with some pretty poor political decisions he’s made since getting elected.

35. - Sue - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 3:50 pm:

I am an independent who can’t stand HRC. However Trump is simply a bafoon. I am praying the Rs come to their senses and nominate someone who actually can handle the job and dump Trump

36. - Springfieldish - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 4:02 pm:

“Our bullies are made of better stuff in Illinois.”

What?

37. - OneMan - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 4:19 pm:

Sue,

that makes two of us…

38. - Last Bull Moose - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 4:26 pm:

My family has been in the party of Lincoln since Lincoln was a Whig. The delegates to the convention need to reject Trump as the nominee. Please put the country first.

39. - atsuishin - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 4:27 pm:

kirk needs to endorse hillary to stem the flow, even then it is unlikely that he will survive.

40. - pundent - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 5:15 pm:

=Trump expressed the people’s rage of the corrupt Washington elite, and it resonated.=

No, that would be Bernie Sanders. Trump expressed the people’s rage over something very different and far more vile.

41. - RNUG - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 5:31 pm:

== I am praying the Rs come to their senses and nominate someone who actually can handle the job and dump Trump ==

Sue, I can actually agree with that sentiment.

42. - Ron - Thursday, Jul 7, 16 @ 5:51 pm:

Jim Edgar is a maroon too. Rauner is he only Republican I’ve ever supported in this state.

43. - wordslinger - Friday, Jul 8, 16 @ 9:11 am:

FWIW, the WSJ has reported that the Trump campaign is targeting 17 states as in play, and Illinois ain’t one of them.

All of our neighbors except Kentucky are on the list.

Trump’s crew also has Minnesota as in play. I’d like some of what they’re having for the weekend. The last time Minnesota went GOP was the ‘72 Nixon landslide.

* Illinois rated second most likely governor's office to flip parties
* It's just a bill
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - A couple of new mailers and a fundraising list
* Rauner says "left-leaning" Chicago press is "plenty biased"
* Keep your trackers out of taverns
* "If any region should feel alienated from state government, it's the suburbanites"
* Democratic legislator files resolution condemning "scofflaw counties"
* Rauner ad gets it wrong, but Pritzker needs to end his silence
* Just a small critique
* Are the Democrats unified?
* Buttigieg delivered the best zinger of the day
* White vows to finish out sixth term
* Rauner to return to Quincy Veterans Home this weekend
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* Democrat JB Pritzker adds $20M more to his camp.....
* HS FOOTBALL: North Schuylkill brings size, new .....
* History close to home..
* Helene Miller Walsh, wife of former US Rep. Joe.....
* Thumbs Up: To remembering the past, even the pa.....
* Politics, American Style: Big GOP Donor Loses, .....
* Penalty for first-time distracted-driving ticke.....
* Current mess started long before Rauner..
* With 80 days until the election, Davis and Lond.....
* Angie Muhs: SJ-R to host candidate debates in c.....

* 2 Chicago boys die after being pulled from Lake Michigan
* Senate intern shot after returning home from Washington DC
* Festivals, parades to mark Illinois’ 200th Constitution Day
* River advocates: Canoeing, kayaking encourage stewardship
* EXCHANGE: Peoria police officer hands out stuffed animals
* EXCHANGE: Valmeyer rises from the depths years after flood
* NFL Hall of Famer Brian Urlacher to speak at Carlsbad summit
* Rediscovered bulldog mascot gets artist-custodian’s touch
* NW Indiana boy, 8, saves his brother, 2, from dog attack
* Carbondale considers biodegradable ‘natural’ burials

* Penalty for first-time distracted-driving ticket to increase
* Judge in Aaron Schock case removed from all cases involving federal government
* Rauner signs bill to educate students about loans
* Doris Kearns Goodwin coming to Springfield for fundraiser
* Davis staffer arrested after altercation at Londrigan fundraiser
* Illinois Democrats say downstate counties can go their way
* Rauner appoints GOP official Shaw to retirement board
* Illinois Democrats talk of importance of fall elections
* AP fact check: No Pritzker plan to increase taxes 26 percent
* Rauner: 2018 election is 'one of most important' in Illinois history

* DuPage pushes fight for O'Hare western terminal
* United sheds punching-bag status with biggest U.S. airline rally
* Northern Trust looks to get into crypto custody
* Redbox gears up for its first major ad campaign
* Whither the Kraft Heinz ketchup packet?

* 2 hurt in fire at Cicero apartment complex
* WH lawyer McGahn not ‘a John Dean type ‘RAT,” Trump says
* Man shot in northwest Indiana
* Nun shows off skills, throws curveball for first pitch before White Sox-Royals
* In Aretha Franklin’s anthems, women heard an empowering message
* Fans injured in storm at Backstreet Boys Oklahoma concert
* Plenty of danger for Dems if they win House and impeach Trump
* Chopping down trees in Jackson Park shouldn’t be taken lightly
* Pearl Jam as eclectic as always in triumphant, emotional Wrigley Field return
* Boy dies after being pulled from Lake Michigan at Indiana Dunes

* Trump: White House lawyer McGahn isn't 'a John Dean type 'RAT"
* Toddler's family grows closer after his parents die in eerily similar rollover accidents 2 years apart
* Elgin Area Convention and Visitors Bureau plans to advertise more, recruit more meetings to town
* Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field review: A rousing setlist full of classics, deep cuts
* Tommy La Stella leads off as Cubs try to win series vs. Pirates
* Georgia high school football team walks out of practice to protest rough conditions
* Pearl Jam performs at Wrigley Field
* Brad Biggs' 10 thoughts on the Bears' 24-23 win over the Broncos
* Democrat J.B. Pritzker adds $20M more to his campaign; now up to $126.5M total
* 23 people shot, 1 fatally: 'Welcome to Chicago, I guess'

» New Law To Address Police Officers' Mental Health
» Chicago Musicians Remember Queen Of Soul Aretha Franklin
» Deep Fried Politics
» State Week: Both Democrats and Republicans Assert Party Unity At State Fair
» Web Extra, The Week in Review: Editorial Boards Push Back
» The Week in Review: Campaign Season ‘Officially’ Kicks Off at State Fair
» #664 Remembering Aretha Franklin
» Dems Vow Down-Ballot Effort, Red-State Reach
» Aug. 16, 2018 - Full Show
» Live From The State Fair: Ag, Food, Entertainment, And President Lincoln

* Penalty for first-time distracted-driving ticket to increase
* Thumbs Up: To remembering the past, even the painful parts
* UIS Perspectives: A beautiful, functional and improving campus
* Statehouse Insider: It's time for the campaign season to begin. Again.
* Our View: Kindergarten study a good starting point
* BGA: How an ordinary homeowner forced reform upon an Illinois township government
* Angie Muhs: SJ-R to host candidate debates in congressional races
* Bernard Schoenburg: Ag policy forum featured only Republicans
* Rauner signs bill to educate students about loans

* Still room for growth for Illini offense
* Female cheetahs detect suitable mates from males’ urine, study by SIU researcher shows
* Decatur mom organizes resource fair for special needs
* Scibird brothers early Bloomington photographers
* Where road projects are planned this week in the Decatur region
* $3.6 million later, Nelson Park sewer project set to finish this fall
* Column | Ladies in the Lede: IDNR program is a crash course in 'Becoming an Outdoors Woman'
* New set of works unveiled at Scovill Sculpture Park
* With 80 days until the election, Davis and Londrigan both confident in 13th District support
* 5 Questions with ... Melverta Wilkins, Caterpillar product change engineer and founder of Sista Girls and Friends

* Kyle Busch not his usual dominant self at Bristol this time
* Watford maintains perfect start with 3-1 win over Burnley
* Aguero scores hat trick, Man City beats Huddersfield 6-1
* Kawasaki Frontale close gap to leaders Sanfrecce Hiroshima
* Over 2 million Muslims begin annual hajj pilgrimage

* The Daily 202: Bernie and Hillary who? Dem...
* MADIGAN on RAUNER's leadership — how A...
* Our View: An unfortunate political encounter
* Illinois congressman apologizes after camp...
* Illinois congressman's staffer arreste...
* Davis Staffer Fired After Altercation
* I-TEAM nominated for regional Emmy award
* Davis: Ex-staffer made 'tragic mistake...
* Illinois congressman's staffer arreste...
* Alton political consultant: Springfield or...

* 2020 hopefuls skeptical of criminal justic......
* Mak Capital One Upped Its Position in Maxw......
* Springfield prosecutor nominated for US at......
* Trump tabs Springfield-based prosecutor fo......
* Ami Investment Management Boosted Graham H......

* Of the 4 female veterans in Congress, 2 ar......
* Can Tahirah Amatul-Wadud Become the Next P......
* Senate passes resolution defending press a......
* Just a small critique...
* Millhiser gets nod from Trump to be next U......

* A Conservative's Conservative Before He Was Nominated And An Open-Minded Jurist After
* The Rahm Emanuel TIF Game: Slush Funds And Shovelfuls Of Cash
* Defining ‘Regular and Substantive’ Interaction in the Online Era
* Career-ready diploma seals show students are ‘ready for life’
* What will AI and robotics mean for higher education?
* Blockchain Gains Currency in Higher Ed
* AI can now tell your boss what skills you lack—and how you can get them
* Keep 'Em Down On The Farm
* The Week In Chicago Rock
* Kusanya clean-up day August 19, 2018

* Bicentennial announces plans for Aug. 26th Constitution Day
* Gov. Rauner proclaims Traffic Fatality Awareness Day, urges public's help in making Illinois roads safer
* Illinois Department of Human Rights Honors "Dream Builders"
* Gov. Rauner signs public safety legislation
* Illinois Payrolls Up for Sixth Straight Month

* This week in Android: Moto Z3 and Lenovo Smart Display reviews, Xiaomi’s new sub-brand, and more
* Camp W is a great game for the end of summer
* New Snapchat update for Android teases better performance and new features
* You can now download tickets to visit museums for free on Sept. 22nd
* Weekly poll: Are in-display fingerprint readers the future?
* Unity isn’t just for video games anymore — it can also help you build a career
* Rollout begins of dark mode and Material Design within Android Messages (Update: Not anymore)

* White Sox Minor League update: August 18, 2018
* Six Pack of Stats: Royals 3, White Sox 1
* Lopez takes hill in rubber game vs. Royals
* Royals, White Sox look to claim series
* Royals out score White Sox 3-1
* Covey runs out of gas in big rebound start
* Gordon homers, Royals rally past White Sox