Capitol - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x1 - Raw audio *** “Why do we need another rich guy running for office?”

Thursday, Apr 6, 2017

* JB Pritzker has posted a campaign video on Twitter…

The dude seems genuine. We’ll see.

* Check the live coverage post for more, but this is a sampling from today’s announcement…

* From Pritzker’s new campaign website

Illinois is my home. This is where I’ve raised my family, where I started businesses and where I’ve created programs to improve the lives of people across the state.

What’s happening now in Springfield is offensive to our values and who we are as a state. Bruce Rauner’s failure as Governor isn’t just about numbers, it’s creating real damage every day to people across Illinois.

* And on another page, he has this

Now, let me address a question I imagine may be on your mind:

With Bruce Rauner as Governor and Donald Trump as President, why do we need another rich guy running for office?

My answer is that it’s a matter of values, and that Trump and Rauner are trying to destroy many of the things I’ve spent my life fighting for.

About a century ago, my great-grandfather Nicholas arrived in Chicago penniless. He worked hard — but he had help. A social service agency helped him find a place to live. A good public school helped him learn English. A state university allowed him to get a higher education degree.

You can’t pull yourself up by your bootstraps if you don’t have any, and this state gave my great grandfather his bootstraps.

It’s what everyone in Illinois deserves, it’s what I’ve been fighting for my whole life, and it’s what I’ll be fighting for every day as your next governor.

Pretty sure that argument alone is not gonna do the trick. Your own thoughts about what he should say?

*** UPDATE ***  Raw audio of the event

Waiting on Q&A audio.

1. - Ok - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:22 pm:

That argument is more than enough..

2. - Juvenal - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:23 pm:

You can’t pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, period.

The English phrase is meant to describe someone attempting something foolishly impossible, usually with great effort.

3. - Rocky Rosi - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:25 pm:

Looks like he is a likeable person.

4. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:31 pm:

“Bruce Rauner failed”

Repeat over and over and over…

Start there. Don’t stop.

5. - Annyong - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:31 pm:

Not a huge fan of JB but I actually like that he addressed the issue head-on. I like how he mentioned the specific social service agencies that helped is Grandfather, and I think it makes a real, human connection to how important it is to fix the issues of this state.

I think it’s a pretty good line, but Rich is right — this alone isn’t going to make the questions go away.

6. - Henry Francis - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:31 pm:

When Diana Rauner needed help with her wonderful organization, who did she call? Me.

Bruce? She sued him.

7. - Simple Simon - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:35 pm:

I think it is an eminently sensible opening for the campaign, to be repeated endlessly and followed up by fleshed out policy specifics. Far better than the “Tax hike Mike” coming out of the other channel.

8. - ArchPundit - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:35 pm:

While I’m not into the billionaire/millionaire trend, if he becomes Governor I’m going to learn to impersonate him. I already have the big guy (read fat) look down with similar hair and body.

9. - Cubs in '16 - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:36 pm:

If I were him I’d make the point that super-wealthy doesn’t always mean out of touch and then give specific examples of “the things I’ve spent my life fighting for.” He needs to show people how he’s different than Trump and Rauner and that he truly understands the struggles of the ‘common’ person. Talking about his ancestors doesn’t do that in my mind.

10. - Rerun - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:40 pm:

What is the likelihood that Pritzker has ever ridden on a CTA elevated train? He ought to take the Red Line challenge and ride from 95th Street to Howard Street. It would be an eye opening experience for him.

11. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:41 pm:

===”More than three decades of experience have led us to identify some big bets that have the potential to transform early learning. We are so grateful to the J.B. and M.K. Pritzker Family Foundation for sharing our belief in these innovations,” said Diana Rauner, president of the Ounce of Prevention Fund.===

“We are so grateful to the J.B. and M.K. Pritzker Family Foundation for sharing our belief in these innovations,” said Diana Rauner, president of the Ounce of Prevention Fund.

That Diana Rauner, she knows how great JB Pritzker is, and his foundation, in actually helping people.

Why does Diana Rauner, as a Democrat, keep donating to Bruce Rauner’s campaign fund and Republicans that only want to starve social services and close state universities?

I guess Diana Rauner will have to ignore JB Pritzker bailing out The Ounce when Bruce Rauner would rather not pay social service groups, not like The Ounce.

That’s right. Diana Rauner thinks it’s a business decision. Getting the Pritzkers to donate to The Ounce is… survival of the fittest?

Those Rauners…

12. - phocion - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:42 pm:

He should say something like:

“Mike Madigan and Bruce Rauner are both part of the problem with what ails the great state of Illinois. But you know what, my whole life I’ve fixed problems and I’ve reaped the rewards. Now it’s time to give back. I need your support to help me solve some of the serious issues facing us: educational opportunities, job growth, investing in our infrastructure, looking out for our most vulnerable citizens. Together we can make a difference - and move beyond the petty fighting happening in Springfield.”

13. - wordslinger - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:42 pm:

Perhaps now these Democratic campaigns will start documenting and publicizing the willful damage that has been done to real people in service of Rauner’s personal agenda/retirement hobby.

Goodness knows the Democratic Party of Illinois and the GA leaders didn’t do it.

14. - W Flag - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:45 pm:

How many of the smiling commuters meeting J.B. Pritzker mistook him for the actor Oliver Platt who was also reported to be in Chicago (according to Michael Sneed)?

15. - 360 Degree Turnaround - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:47 pm:

Just run a commercial with Rauner’s CMS building lease from now until November 2018.

16. - Annyong - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:48 pm:

Just rewatched the video, it is really well done. He’s going to be paying for all the best consultants and while that may not be enough to get him the primary win… it certainly doesn’t hurt.

17. - ArchPundit - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:52 pm:

====r mistook him for the actor Oliver Platt

A bit older, but I could probably pass for him too.

18. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:54 pm:

To the Pritzker Crew,

Well done, keep on message.

“Bruce Rauner failed”

“Bruce Rauner is hurting Illinois”

“Bruce Rauner is starving Higher Education”

Bruce Rauner refuses to pay those helping those in most need”

“Bruce Rauner hasn’t gotten a budget passed as governor”

“Bruce Rauner vetoes money for CPS hurting Chicago students now, and clouted his daughter into CPS hurting a Chicago students then too”

“Bruce Rauner never created one job.”

If you have any more questions, I’ll be around.

19. - Seats - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:55 pm:

I donated to Kennedy already, but I’m likely to shift my support to JB if this introduction is any sign of what kind if guy he is.

20. - sal-says - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 2:58 pm:

In answer to the post’s title: YES.

An average, low ball $ person ain’t got no chance anymore. Money wins. Although our Unfit4Governor’s messaging is getting very repetitive and tiresome & I’m betting folks are and will figure that out.

So, at this point, almost ANY big buck pol that doesn’t have a ‘destruction obsession’ would be welcome. Every day more folks get hurt; more folks don’t like where our governot is heading us.

21. - Tom - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:00 pm:

Bring it on, JB! Great video. Great opener.

22. - Earnest - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:04 pm:

>it’s creating real damage every day to people across Illinois.

>arrived in Chicago penniless. He worked hard — but he had help. A social service agency

He can stake out this territory for himself. Newspapers chose not to cover the destruction, the IDP chose not to make it a messaging campaign. There are tons of potential good stories here and he can make the most of them. I find this exciting. Of course, I am biased as a big believer in effective, accountable social services.

23. - don the legend - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:05 pm:

Next he needs to say “I’ll call your 50 million”.

24. - Grandpa - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:07 pm:

Positive first impression…

25. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:09 pm:

I personally like his message/video today. Cute kids too.

Maybe the verbiage was off, but the story of Nicholas Pritzker is really about as “American Dream-y” as you can get. More than “Dad was a VP at Motorola and sent me to the Ivies, then I learned the private equity game and made a ton of money with other people’s money.”

26. - Ok - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:16 pm:

A progressive billionaire just like the gov of Minnesota? Sounds exciting!

27. - BK Bro - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:19 pm:

“Pritzker says Rauner team has proposed 33% tax increase, he says he’ll propose tax on millionaires and billionaires ”

Get those millionaires and billionaires!

28. - Centenial - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:27 pm:

The video is well done. More importantly, he’s likeable and “real” in it. His quips and comments made me chuckle and the kids are sweet and could be any of the neighborhood kids who ring my doorbell on any given day.

And I find the story about Nicholas, also relatable and humble.

I also really like the tough talk. He’s not afraid to call Rauner a failure and say Trump’s Exec Order was stupid.

If this is JB — deal me in.

29. - Arsenal - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:31 pm:

I think that’s a fine answer. There’s really no where else to go- if wealth is a make-or-break issue for you- and I think it’s going to be very salient for quite a few primary voters- you’re going to have to find another candidate anyway. This isn’t like a policy position that he can shade or persuade with the right wording.

30. - Gruntled University Employee - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:32 pm:

Was that Rich Miller he was shaking hands with at 12 seconds in?

31. - West - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 3:36 pm:

Ha Ha it’s amazing how people get suckered by the image thing. How many people keep saying, “He seems down to earth” and “He seems likable” as if that’s some huge hurdle. I’m old enough to remember how downstate county chairs fell all over themselves because Rod Blagojevich came to town with his down to earth and likable personality. Careful - there’s more to this than that.

32. - Veil of Ignorance - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 4:02 pm:

Rauner’s team is cuing up a ad blitz w/Blago saying “J.B. can do it, couldn’t he?” on wiretap in 3, 2, 1…if Pritzker can survive the initial onslaught and build momentum, then Dems will have an interesting choice next March.

33. - Henry Francis - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 4:26 pm:

It seems that Rauner’s act is wearing thin. More and more in the media seem to be calling him out on his “costumes” and dropped g’s. His latest commercial has been fairly widely mocked. Check out M Kinney’s tweet to the right:

Asked if he’s alter his diction a la Rauner, Pritzker says: “I’m not dropping any g’s here.”

34. - Anonymous - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 4:54 pm:

“Pritzker says: “I’m not dropping any g’s here.”

That was the best part of his little presser! Bring back G’s to the Governor’s mansion!!!

35. - illini - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 5:27 pm:

36. - cdog - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 5:28 pm:

My two-cents on what Pritzker should NOT SAY while he defends himself from being hijacked by the aggressive far-left of his party…

$.01 — Don’t buy into the sanctuary city/state nonsense.
    All that does is promote the degradation of society by encouraging folks to disregard laws. There are a few laws I’d like to disregard but won’t. We should have an expectation that elected officials have the VALUE of being law-abiding and that they understand the political process to change the laws they don’t like. It’s a very slippery slope.

$.02 — Don’t pick up the fake torch that some free speech is now hate speech.
    If I want to educate on the dangers of USA allowing protection for totalitarian cults, I do not want the far-left to attempt to change the values of free speech in USA which then has the effect of promoting cults. Be strong in the VALUE of FREE SPEECH in public discourse, even if the far-left and any cults demand special treatment from free speech laws due to their cult rules and thin skin.

Not your drive-by candidate platform items but very worthy of contemplation as a potential leader.

37. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 5:32 pm:

- illini -

Thanks, and that’s the real question, will Pritzker/Kennedy/Biss try to get statewide televised messaging before State Fair?

Right now, the playing field is Rauner’s

38. - illini - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 7:12 pm:

@Willy - exactly correct.

I’m sorry, but I know the demographics of many previous Primary and General Elections and do agree that Rauner is dominating the downstate media with his contrived appearances and his predictable “news worthy remarks” being routinely reported as a top story in much of the media.

39. - Anonymous - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 8:46 pm:

- illini - Thursday, Apr 6, 17 @ 5:27 pm:

Willy is absolutely right with his bullet points - but will this messaging be seen, heard or televised South of I-80?”

He’s in Carbondale and other parts downstate now.

* Rauner says he will "work hard" to unify party after primary
* Newt boosts Bruce in 11th Hour anti-Madigan robo
* *** UPDATED x3 *** Late shenanigans!
* Gov. Rauner compares Speaker Madigan to Al Capone
* Bombshell: Scandal rocks tronc
* Because... Madigan!
* Can't buy me love, everybody tells me so
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today's edition
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Early afternoon shenanigans!
* Final pre-election roundup
* Caption contest!
* *** UPDATED x1 - Rauner dodges *** Monday morning shenanigans roundup
* Lipinski roundup
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Rauner mailers predict "showdown" with Madigan, who will be sent "packing"
* The politics behind Rauner's veto and the future of gun bills
* Sometimes, you just gotta laugh at this stuff or you'll cry
* Still more shenanigans!
* Sunday campaign money roundup
* Even more shenanigans!
* More shenanigans!
* Saturday campaign money report
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Shenanigans!
* Tribune drops bombshell on Biss running mate

* Primary Eve in Illinois: Fire All of Your Guns .....
* Gun-control bill might make a return in April -.....
* Illinois Governor's Race Heats Up - CBS Chicago..
* A billionaire, a Kennedy and a state lawmaker f.....
* Pritzker Spreads Campaign Cash..
* Hultgren fires aide after sexual encounter with.....
* Is tomorrow the day of reckoning for Mike Madigan?..
* Poll: Majority of Illinois voters say criminal .....
* Report: Rauner May Move to Italy If He Loses El.....
* Rauner sounds off on Democratic-backed ads - WR.....

* Rockford proposing new video gaming fees
* Couple dies after crash into suburban Chicago retention pond
* Benedictine University seeks selling campus as 1 parcel
* For menopause sex discomfort, gel worked as well as hormone
* Illinois seeks plans for closed Lake Shelbyville resort
* Hikers find crashed car in suburban Chicago with body inside
* For menopause sex discomfort, gel worked as well as estrogen
* Security of state voter rolls a concern as primaries begin
* Judge sides with inmate on prosthetic leg, toilet access
* Illinois primary puts focus on security of state voter rolls

* Candidates scramble to finish line as Election Day arrives
* Candidates for Illinois governor spend $65.7 million on TV ads –– just for the primaries
* Security of state voter rolls a concern as primaries begin
* As primaries loom, downstate Democrats look for a way back
* Pritzker defends putting $69.5 million of his fortune into campaign
* Illinois governor race more fierce, costly as primary nears
* Madigan backs Dem central committee incumbent in 13th
* Trump factor looms large in Illinois governor primary campaigns
* Ray LaHood brokers deal for O'Hare expansion
* McCann says Rauner threatened to 'destroy' him in 2015 over vote

* Ferro accused of sexual misconduct: report
* McDonald's wants to end potential landmark workplace case
* Ferro exits Trib parent after tumultuous tenure

* Ferro exits Trib parent after tumultuous tenure
* Find 73 great spots for business events in the Chicago area

* Report: Congressional aide fired 5 months after sexual encounter with teen boy
* Man, 27, shot in Little Village
* Matt Davidson, Adam Engel lead 20-hit explosion for White Sox in 15-2 victory
* Carson Fulmer gives White Sox the kind of outing they — and he — needed to see
* CPS finally moves to ban clouted bus company
* Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg is well-versed on health scares and the NBA lifestyle
* Woman, 18, killed in auto accident in Peotone
* Jose Altuve’s $151 million extension shows Astros’ era of austerity is over
* Man fatally struck by vehicle in Melrose Park
* Mississippi imposes 15-week abortion ban; nation’s toughest

* Busy primary election closes Tuesday, when polls open at 6 a.m.
* Michael Ferro steps down as Tronc chairman hours before sexual misconduct allegations published
* Cubs opening roster could come down to minor-league options
* Report says Facebook security chief to leave
* Stevenson grad Dylan Geick a 'pretty remarkable story' as gay wrestler for Columbia
* NBA coaches address stresses of job in support of Tyronn Lue
* Supreme Court refuses to stop new congressional maps in Pennsylvania
* Uber suspends self-driving car tests after pedestrian death in Arizona
* Cubs' David Ross upstaged by son on 41st birthday
* Brother of Parkland shooting suspect arrested for trespassing on school grounds

» Two Woman Accuse Former Tronc Chairman Michael Ferro Of Sexual Misconduct
» Two Women Accuse Former Tronc Chairman Michael Ferro Of Sexual Misconduct
» New Book Highlights Important African American Women In Chicago History
» What’s A Democratic Ward Organization?
» Primary Day Is Tomorrow: The Gubernatorial Candidates, Fact-Checking, And Your Voting Rights
» A Feisty Debate, Offshore Accounts — And Some Side-Eye
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: March 16, 2018
» The Week in Review: Pritzker Slammed Over Offshore Holdings
» Web Extra, The Week in Review: American Airlines Changes Stance
» How Parking Ticket Debt Punishes Black Drivers In Chicago; The Best Illinois Movies

* EJ Dionne: The principle behind anti-Trump pragmatism
* Candidates scramble to finish line as Election Day arrives
* George Will: Freedom of speech includes the right to remain silent
* Security of state voter rolls a concern as primaries begin
* As primaries loom, downstate Democrats look for a way back
* Pritzker defends putting $69.5 million of his fortune into campaign
* Statehouse Insider: Sadly, the primary campaign is coming to an end
* Bernard Schoenburg: My predictions for Tuesday's primary election
* Our View: A recap of The State Journal-Register’s endorsements

* Murder trial begins for man accused in 2016 shooting death of Carbondale musician Tim Beaty
* With planned Toys R Us closure, another big retailer leaves Marion
* Boys lacrosse spars with three schools in the Buckeye State
* Dispatches from Haiti: Demons
* Man strikes Caseyville squad car 3 times while fleeing officer, police say
* Poll: Majority of Illinois voters say criminal justice system is biased, but downstate voters disagree
* Fairview Heights shopping district to get facelift
* Security of state voter rolls a concern as primaries begin
* Arconic eaglet's fate unknown
* Illinois seeks proposals for closed Lake Shelbyville resort

* Trubisky already getting big job done for Chicago Bears
* Girls soccer: Scoreless draw for Maine West, Rolling Meadows
* Chicago Blackhawks' Anisimov looking for more assists
* One final day to vote: Here's what you need to know
* Prairie Knolls Middle School students shelter in place after bullet found

* US government denies Afghanistan War veter...
* Dem Intel Member: Lewandowski Avoided Trum...
* Republicans' ending of Intelligence Commit...
* Democrats say Trump associate may have mis...
* US government denies Afghanistan War veter...
* Dem Intel Member: Lewandowski Avoided Trum...
* Democrats say Trump associate may have mis...
* “They tanked it from the beginning”: How R...
* This RSS feed URL is deprecated
* Nick Provenzano fired from US Rep. Randy H...

* Shutdown looming, Congress and White House......
* Congress and White House seek budget deal ......
* Sens. Dick Durbin, Lindsey Graham Warn Tru......
* Sens. Dick Durbin, Lindsay Graham Warn Tru......
* Republicans warn Trump: Leave Mueller alone...

* Sen. Tammy Duckworth on being the first se......
* Zinke defends use of Japanese word: How co......
* Congolese mother and child finally reunite......
* Schatz to convene field hearing on false m......
* Congolese mother arrives in Chicago, still......

* Learning Designers as Digital Nomads
* Tips for Working Full-Time While Taking Online Classes
* 4 Things Experts Want You to Know About Blockchain in Higher Ed
* The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #192: Let's Go Hobos!
* Global Boom in Private Enrollments
* Using Data to Expose Industry Needs — and Design Degree Programs Accordingly
* What is the future of for-profit higher ed?
* The Weekend In Chicago Rock
* A ‘dress-and-sneakers type of gal’ inspired by Coco Chanel
* Failed eviction attempts wouldn't haunt tenants under proposed state law

* February Flooding Information
* IEMA Urges People to Prepare for Severe Weather
* Governor issues state disaster proclamation for flooding in Iroquois, Kankakee, Vermilion Counties
* Winter Storm Warnings for Areas Along and North of I-80
* IEMA Encourages People to Prepare for Earthquakes

* Samsung will discontinue its built-in Movie Maker after Android P update
* PUBG for Android is now live in the US Google Play Store
* Apple is looking to buy 270 million iPhone displays for this year
* ​Australia warns G20 leaders the digital economy is 'no tax-free club'
* T-Mobile’s parent company says no to pre-installed bloatware
* Megaport to raise AU$60m for network expansion
* Deutsche Telekom letting users choose “pre-installed” apps

* Fulmer brimming with confidence
* White Sox pummel Diamondbacks just one day after, well, getting pum...
* Abreu embracing grind of Spring Training
* Fulmer's gem leads top prospects
* White Sox special event uniforms unveiled