Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Biss tries to explain the Ramirez-Rosa matter
Biss tries to explain the Ramirez-Rosa matter

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2017

* Sen. Daniel Biss held a Facebook Live event last night

ATTENDEE: People are asking if you would please comment a little bit on the situation involving your first running mate if you can do that and there’s a follow up question but I’ll only ask it if it’s necessary.

BISS: So, Illinois only in the last two election cycles governor/lieutenant governor candidates run as a team in the primary and then get nominated together and run together in the general election. And I actually think it’s a really good reform because what it means is you can run as a partnership, and that partnership can be carried into the office of governor and lt. governor and that’s really the only circumstance in which certain lieutenant governor’s position makes a lot of sense.

And so, I spent part of the summer thinking about who I wanted to run with and interviewing a series of people and one of the options of who was on my short list was an alderman from the Northwest Side of the city from the 35th Ward by the name of Carlos Ramirez-Rosa. And I can talk more about his strengths of which there are plenty, and I can talk some about his weaknesses, everybody has some. But it was an exciting partnership in certain respects, but there were some things that I wanted to check out.

One thing that some people told me I should look out for was he’s a member of the Democratic Socialist of America. And my attitude was ‘I don’t believe in guilt by association, I’m not going to participate in calling someone out because they’re a socialist.’ I disagree with that. I think we should welcome people who are from active progressive groups, but I also wanted to make sure that I was comfortable with the positions taken by the organization or at least if not, feel free to talk about them.

So, I read the organization’s platform and there’s an awful lot there that I promptly agree with and there’s things that I have modest disagreements with, but could easily see both sides.

But there was one set of issues that because of my personal family background, where I come from as a grandson of a Holocaust survivor was important to me personally. Candidly speaking, not one of the most important issues facing the state government, but it’s an issue that is important to me personally and that’s what’s called the BDS or Boycott, Divest and Sanctions movement regarding the relationship between Israel and Palestine.

I just have a personal discomfort with that which I’m getting to if you guys will find interesting, but my guess is it’s not you want to talk about tonight. And so, because of that, I asked him his position and he said he shares my position, and Bernie Sanders’ position was not in support of that movement, and then during the course of the first few days of the campaign as we got a lot of questions about it I think he did a lot of thinking and came to a different conclusion and obviously I respect his right to change his mind and I respect his potion but it was a division that I just didn’t feel was going to be workable for the ticket and so I regrettably had to part ways and then move forward with another person who is under active consideration and is a good friend and a close ally, her name is Litesa Wallace.

She is a state representative from Rockford whom I fought with on a variety of issues we fought on LGBT issues, we recently passed a bill into law that even Bruce Rauner signed advancing LGBTQ justice that she was the House sponsor that I was the Senate sponsor. We fought side by side especially on access to child care, she’s someone who I know well and trust, we share a commonality on values and so we had to make a change and moving forward full speed ahead and ya know it was obviously a difficult situation and an uncomfortable situation, but I would say that Carlos is a strong progressive we share a lot of values he’s a good person and a good ally on important issues and obviously someone I think has a very, very bright future in politics.”

Lots of words. The full video is here. The snippet above is here.

* What really happened between the two men is still in dispute

Ramirez-Rosa denies the claim that he flip-flopped. He told the Reader he has opposed BDS at the state and local level because city and state governments shouldn’t engage in foreign policy—but he supports it at the federal level.

“What I said in June 2016 at the People’s Summit is that we need to have a conversation about the best way that the U.S. federal government exerts pressure on the state of Israel to bring about a two-state solution,” Ramirez-Rosa said. “I recognize Israel’s right to exist. I want to see an end to the occupation of Palestine and we need to have a constructive dialogue about what the U.S. government does in relation to the money it sends Israel to put pressure to create that two-state solution. I have made those positions clear in numerous public forums and it’s unfortunate that Senator Biss did not understand those facts.”

How much did [Congressman Brad Schneider] withdrawing his endorsement play into the understanding of those facts?

“We had many conversations on this matter before and after Congressman Schneider pulled his endorsement, but I want to respect the conversations that I had with Senator Biss and the campaign and keep them private,” Ramirez-Rosa said. “Unfortunately it became clear that after numerous days of conversations, we would not be able to continue together as a ticket. Ultimately, it’s his ticket and I respect his decision.”

1. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 11:49 am:

Wouldn’t put it past someone as disingenuous as CRR to flip flop.

2. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 11:54 am:

Better answer for Biss: “That’s in the past. We’re moving forward.”

3. - Steve - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 11:55 am:

Daniel Biss was quite honest here. He’s more comfortable with socialism than free market capitalism.

4. - Perrid - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 11:56 am:

wordslinger, people would have dinged him on that as a dodge. I know his response is long winded enough to make a lot of people’s eyes glaze over but I think he did a decent job of explaining a fairly awkward situation.

5. - Whatever - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:00 pm:

If you’re explaining, you’re losing.

6. - Periwinkle - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:02 pm:

Sounds like a genuine answer on a tough subject.

7. - Steve - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:05 pm:

He felt he had to explain himself. Don’t count him out. A big part of the Democrat party base might vote for him in the primary. He might not have a lot of money but in a divided field: don’t be shocked if he wins.

8. - Jimmy Kimmel - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:06 pm:

Here’s an opportunity for Biss to show a less academic side and say, “I overlooked it, and I’m uncomfortable with his BDS stance. Bottom line. I’m moving on.” Instead he writes a novel.

9. - slow down - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:09 pm:

The apparent obliviousness of Ramirez-Rosa to the overt anti-semitic nature of the BDS movement is very unfortunate and doesn’t speak well of him.

Israel absolutely imo should be under pressure to move to a two state solution, but the BDS movement is much more about the right of Israel to exist at all than it is about coexistence.

10. - Amalia - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:10 pm:

oh my. too much. but illuminating.

11. - Grand Avenue - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:15 pm:

Has Daiber announced his running mate yet?

12. - Anon - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:22 pm:

Let’s be real. Carlos changes his mind and this was a big deal for both because Biss wants to be Senator and Carlos wants to be Congressman. Carlos needs to learn to play nice if he plans to ever get anything done in DC.

13. - YSW - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:36 pm:

@slow down, calling the BDS movement antisemitic means saying that Palestinian people have no legitimate recourse to resist their own displacement, no nonviolent means of protesting the inequality under which they live.

Biss’s explanation that he’s a grandson of a Holocaust survivor, as if it unavoidably follows that he must oppose the movement for Palestinian human rights, is deeply offensive to many progressive Jews in Illinois. Many of us lost family members in the Holocaust too, and we draw the opposite lesson from that legacy: me must not perpetuate oppression against anyone.

L’shanah tovah to everyone celebrating the new year.

14. - Commander Norton - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:40 pm:

I don’t think it’s too much. If he has a hope of getting past this, it’s in explaining in a genuine, lay-it-all-out-there fashion - not another glib messaging sound-bite. I’m impressed by this answer for the same reason I’m impressed with him in general; he sees nuances and is willing to admit they exist. The politics with which voters have become all too familiar is one that says you’re either for me or against me. It is so refreshing to see Biss speaking respectfully of his former running mate and acknowledging that they agreed on almost everything - and to see Ramirez-Rosa behaving in pretty much the same fashion. To me, Biss’ answer is relatable; we’ve all had tough personal decisions to make, and we’ve all had to live with the consequences while still realizing that on balance, we did what we had to do.

15. - Bissness - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:44 pm:

=Better answer for Biss: “That’s in the past. We’re moving forward.”=
    It could also be applied to his oath-violating legislative record.
    Heck it’s even worked on the national level for Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and other malefactors.

16. - City Zen - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:46 pm:

He made a bisstake.

17. - Thomas Paine - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:57 pm:

“Guilt by association.”

Great, Senator Biss.

Because you haven’t done enough to insult the Bernie Bros yet.

18. - Teddy - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:58 pm:

Not that I want to get sidetracked by this, but YSW, as a progressive Jew and descendant of Holocaust survivors myself, I can say that many progressive Jews disagree with you on this. The BDS movement’s co-founder has called for the destruction of Israel, saying that “no Palestinian should accept a Jewish state in Palestine.” There are nonviolent means to achieve a 2-state solution. BDS is not the right one.

See the video here: https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/905597979788238848

In any event, I believe RR was wishy-washy at best and dishonest at worst. I found Biss’ answer sincere.

19. - Saluki - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 12:58 pm:

He bissed the mark.

20. - Ilovebernie - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 1:08 pm:

I was really excited about Biss, but cannot support him after he dumped my man Carlos. I hope Biss comes in last place so it teaches the Democratic Party not to take progressives for granted.

21. - YSW - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 1:15 pm:

Teddy, the evidence from people who know Rosa is very unfavorable to Biss’s accounting. Yes absolutely there is disagreement among Jews who consider ourselves progressive. You appear to misunderstand the meaning of that quote, however. To the extent that “a Jewish state in Palestine” means that Palestinians who have been banished from their homes must be prohibited from returning, and that Palestinians living under Israeli rule must have fewer rights than Jews, why would any Palestinian support that? There are no nonviolent means for Palestinians to achieve justice and peace absent BDS. If there was, you’d be able to name one, but you can’t.

22. - Favorite human - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 1:21 pm:

Egypt has had peace with Israel for38 years as they negotiated seriously.

When the PA spends upto 5% of their annual budget on payment to families of suicide bombers it’s hard to say they are serious.

Sad truth is the PA can have peace anytime. They just aren’t ready yet, they are the ones needing pressure for a solution.

BDS ignores those facts. That’s one reason not to take their supporters seriously.

23. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 1:26 pm:

FH, thanks for that simple solution to the Israeli/Palestinian question.

Have a North Korean nuke “solution” that doesn’t require millions of deaths by the end of day.

24. - Northsider - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 1:28 pm:

I’ll take Scandinavian-style democratic socialism over the Republic party’s brand of free-market capitalism any day.

And Bernie Bros don’t get to determine who is or is not a progressive.

25. - slow down - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 1:43 pm:

YSW, I too am a progressive Jew and I fully support non-violent protests against Israel’s occupation and in support of a two state solution.

Sadly, that is not what BDS is or has been. You are far too generous in your interpretation of the founder’s comments. His goal, and the goal of BDS, is nothing short of the destruction of the state of Israel. He’s telling us this and we should take him at his word.

I don’t suppose we’re going to agree on this but I wish you a happy and safe new year.

26. - walker - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 1:45 pm:

Biss did explain it.
    He just didn’t explain it away.

27. - blue dog dem - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 2:07 pm:

I always felt ‘active progressive’ was the same as socialist.

28. - low level - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 2:08 pm:

The trouble, Alderman, is your insistence that there is any “occupation”. Given numerous opportunities to make peace, certain groups refuse to do so and commit atrocities against unarmed civilians.

Now for the idea that a second state would insure peace. A virtual state was created known as the Palestinian Authority. They were unable to stop the violence. Given that, do you really feel a full fledged state would bring peace?

Your assumptions are incorrect.

29. - Ron - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 2:43 pm:

Biss should drop out. The initial pick of Ramirez-Rosa tells me how bad a candidate he is.

30. - Just Observing - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 5:02 pm:

=== There are no nonviolent means for Palestinians to achieve justice and peace absent BDS. If there was, you’d be able to name one, but you can’t. ===

How about if the Palestinians put down their arms, recognized the right of Israel to exist, and accepted a third-party negotiated country of their own which they have turned down time and time again? So far they have done none of those.

31. - Responsa - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 7:12 pm:

==BISS: So, Illinois only in the last two election cycles governor/lieutenant governor—==
    ==So, I read the organization’s platform and there’s an awful lot there—==

Sometime over the last decade the use of “so” to start a sentence has become common practice for many politicians and other interviewees on TV shows and such. It’s grating and annoying to listeners and is a completely unnecessary, meaningless filler. It makes them sound like valley girls. Not to pick just on Biss. They all should stop it.

32. - Anon III - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 7:13 pm:

It goes almost without saying that there is a spectrum of policy positions within the Democratic Party.

The Illinois Associations of and for every interest group and profession that works with or for government, and the government employee unions are endorsing moneyed centrist democratic candidates. If the primary were a two-man race, a centrist candidate would prevail. But it’s not a two-man race.

Biss is obviously positioning himself to the left of the moneyed centrist candidates. He could win a three-man or four-man primary.

33. - cc - Thursday, Sep 21, 17 @ 1:51 am:

Close family members are Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Mormon, Mennonite, and some are agnostics and total athiests and I love them all. I want a leader that cares for all, does best for the whole state from north, south, east and west borders, puts Illinois above all others and cares not only for the billionaires but also and mostly for the least of us.

34. - CatAttack - Thursday, Sep 21, 17 @ 9:13 am:

Biss picked Rosa because he thought he’d help beat Pawar. Biss isn’t running against anyone else, let’s be honest. Rosa doesn’t help against Pritzker, and he certainly doesn’t help against Rauner.

Biss wanted to be seen as the only progressive in the race so he overlooked some things that clearly he shouldn’t have. Problem is, he’s not actually all that progressive, so is trying to force himself into that mold (all the apologizing for past “mistakes” on votes and taking Madigan money, and such.)

Not a great look for a wannabe leader.

TrackBack URI

* "Watchdog" flatly denies getting money from Illinois Policy Institute, but group funded 98 percent of budget
* Governor promised "superstar" appointee a year ago, hasn't delivered
* Chicago survives the first cut in Amazon HQ2 sweepstakes
* Rauner to air entire Blagojevich/Pritzker audio this weekend
* Adlai III endorses Biss

* Illinois education officials want to double sta.....
* Rauner spokesman: 'Governor believes David Duke.....
* Empty seat should be filled - Champaign/Urbana .....
* Could a Political Newcomer Unseat Illinois’s Mo.....
* Chuck Sweeny: Grasso, Mohammad make pitches for.....
* IL Gubernatorial Candidates Spend $26M in Last .....
* Price Tag High in Race For Illinois Governor - .....
* Morning Spin: Even after tax hike, Illinois edu.....
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spent $26M in la.....

* Rockford mayor says he'll seek limits to home rule powers
* Congresswoman collecting Valentine's Day cards for veterans
* Chicago trader accused of killing friend, dumping body
* Illinois sheriff helping people find opioid antidote drug
* Judge keeping some documents secret in Hastert lawsuit
* Ex-Ataris bassist indicted, accused of telemarketing fraud
* Rock bassist indicted, accused of telemarketing fraud
* Suspect in terror-related case claims 'combatant immunity'
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $28M in last 3 months
* Chicago group sues US Steel over Indiana plant's discharges

* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $26M in last 3 months
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $28M in last 3 months
* Statehouse bill would connect rural schools to high-speed internet
* Statehouse bill would connect rural schools to high speed internet
* Education officials want to double state budget for schools
* University of Illinois trustee seat has been empty a year
* Rauner campaign: 'Governor believes David Duke is a racist'
* Rauner defends amendatory veto of school funding bill
* Rauner signs bill to focus on needs of female prison inmates
* Rauner tours Lincoln prison, touts reforms helping female inmates

* Chicago makes first cut for Amazon HQ2
* Vending machine food that's good for you? Yes, really.
* Here's Latinicity's new sit-down restaurant
* Paul Vallas says he's 'seriously considering' running for mayor
* Poll finds Rauner way ahead of GOP challenger

* Chicago makes first cut for second Amazon headquarters
* WATCH: Kris Dunn’s scary fall took a chunk out of the United Center floor
* Red Lobster’s plan: Kitchen upgrades, small-plate dishes
* Man charged with robbing Aurora gas station at gunpoint
* Trump insists his views on a border wall have not ‘evolved’
* Pair of Chinese giant pandas get snowy welcome in Finland
* Emirates throws Airbus A380 a lifeline with $16 billion deal
* All-new Dodge Durango SRT is high-powered 3-row SUV
* ‘Independent’ city watchdog Khan’s secret backer? Right-wing policy group
* 52 people die in bus fire in Kazakhstan

* Amazon narrows list of headquarters cities to 20 finalists
* Neighbor of Glenview business complains of mulch smell, noisy trucks
* Doctors divided over report that popular morning sickness drug doesn't work
* 2 killed in South Side shooting — first gun deaths in Chicago in 7 days
* 3 Midwest inns ideal for a romantic winter escape
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 1/18/18
* Chicago a finalist for Amazon's HQ2
* Gourmet doughnut shop opens Monday in downtown West Dundee
* Willson Contreras: Comment about 'going to be better' than Yadier Molina and Buster Posey 'misinterpreted'
* Incarnation Catholic, Our Lady of the Ridge to close at school year's end

» A Prescription For Fruits And Veggies: One Solution To Food Insecurity in Illinois
» A Call For Transparency
» 2 Illinois Governor Candidates Spend $26M In Last 3 Months
» State Board of Education: Double School Funding Now
» Lawmakers Demand Fast Internet For Rural Schools
» 2 Dreamers Discuss Helping Other Immigrants Amid Uncertainty
» Rauner Spokesman: 'Governor Believes David Duke Is A Racist'
» Rauner Signs Law To Help Women Behind Bars
» A Poor Neighborhood In Chicago Looks To Cuba To Fight Infant Mortality
» Democratic Candidates In Lockstep At Justice Forum

* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $26M in last 3 months
* Our View: Focus on cost-cutting, then turn to taxes
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $28M in last 3 months
* Statehouse bill would connect rural schools to high-speed internet
* Education officials want to double state budget for schools
* University of Illinois trustee seat has been empty a year
* Rauner campaign: 'Governor believes David Duke is a racist'
* Our View: Dubious tariff endangers newspapers' future
* Byron York: Paul Manafort has a point
* EJ Dionne: Will Trump exhaust our democratic capacities?

* Mission of school library has not changed — promote reading. But it has many more tools available.
* Fill up now: Gas prices expected to jump up to 20 cents after refinery outage
* Crash kills one, closes Illinois 15 in Washington County
* 1898: Hard cider had farmers singing neighbor’s praises
* Boiling down what you need to know about boil orders
* Around Town: Trivia night to benefit Life Long Music in O’Fallon schools
* A look at the families of Louis and Leo Steiner
* A Cahokia man’s mission was to take down the Taliban. His story hits theaters Friday.
* Girl finds fingertip left behind after fatal crash
* Murphysboro City Council votes to pay half for 20th Street asphalt work after excess clean-up required

* Analysis: Fact-checking Trump's 'Fake News awards'
* Son rising to celebrated status in Premier League
* Indiana man charged in death of girlfriend's 4-year-old son
* In TV interview, Farrow describes alleged Allen assault
* Chicago makes top 20 for Amazon HQ 2

* Letter: Talk to tax preparer about GOP tax...
* Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and...
* Lawmakers back renaming Warrenville post o...
* Teacher raised in Yorkville running agains...
* Tioga State Bank president and CEO address...
* Kane County assessor: No guarantee your ta...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...
* Suburban Democrats line up to challenge Ro...
* Hultgren joins fellow lawmakers fighting t...
* 3 suburban GOP reps provide crucial votes ...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* Senator Durbin: “It doesn't bother me one ......
* Democrats Are 'Dicking Around' the Militar......

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* Net neutrality allies are ready to fight. ......

* City Announces Start Date (2019) And Staging Area (Parking Lot) For Complete Rebuild of the Lawrence Red Line Station
* CBS Chicago: Englewood school plan still a tough sell
* Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury, and the question of when we get to say the hell with the rules
* Kalak is a vodka that drinks like whiskey
* City Council Approves Cappleman-Sponsored Program To House Homeless
* Life In Chicago: Grant Fraud, Boot Bribery & Unnecessary OT
* Can The Winter Olympics Save The World?
* Gutierrez offers Kelly an apology, and all it took was the White House chief of staff implying Donald Trump, misspoke
* At The Illinois Holocaust Museum | Speak Truth To Power
* Happy Anniversary, La Patisserie P!

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* 18% off travel adapter compatible in 150+ countries
* Facebook Messenger Bug Preventing Some iPhone Users From Being Able to Type Messages
* Motorola’s new Moto Folio Mod costs $11 and fits any Moto Z smartphone
* New Details and First Trailer Debut for iOS RPG 'Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery'
* MIUI 9 is supported by an impressive total of 40 Xiaomi Android devices
* [Deal] Grab the Honor 9 for just £299 in today’s flash sale
* ‘chaiOS’ bug can break your iPhone’s Messages app and freeze your device with a link

* Collins ranked MLB's No. 9 catching prospect
* With maturity comes lofty expectations for Eloy
* Pirates rebuild not met with enthusiasm
* Moncada guiding Robert during mini-camp