Capitol - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2017

* WalletHub

People determine their own happiness. But how content we are with life is not only and always a matter of perspective. And it’s certainly not about beauty, power or wealth — at least, not beyond an annual income of $75,000. Where we choose to live can also influence our level of happiness.

In this study, WalletHub’s analysts drew upon the findings of “happiness” research to determine which environmental factors are linked to a person’s overall well-being and satisfaction with life. Previous studies have found that good economic, emotional, physical and social health are all key to a well-balanced and fulfilled life.

To determine where Americans exhibit the best combination of these factors, we examined the 50 states across 28 key metrics, ranging from depression rate to sports participation rate to income growth.

Illinois ranked 20th happiest. Wisconsin took the 9 spot, Michigan was 29th happiest and Indiana placed 34th.

The least happy people were in West Virginia, and the happiest were in Minnesota.

* The Question: Do you consider yourself “happy”? Explain.

1. - Ducky LaMoore - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 2:55 pm:

Yep. Absolutely. I make a decent living, own a house, am able to save some money, have a happy and healthy family. I don’t get upset about what I don’t have.

2. - Dome Gnome - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 2:57 pm:

Yes, I consider myself happy but I’d be much more at ease if I lived in a state with more functional politics. If my marriage operated like our state, I’d file for divorce.

3. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 2:58 pm:

I live in Springfield. What is there to be happy about?

4. - Epic - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:00 pm:

Yes, I would say right now is one of the happiest times of my life.

5. - WAUKEGAN - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:01 pm:

I am very thankful and happy for all the things I have! Especially mine and my families health!

I find it interesting how many people believe their life will be happier sometimes even in a different state. “the grass isn’t greener on the other side”. Even when another state has lower property taxes there are usually things that make up the difference somewhere else. bad weather, higher crime rates or higher taxes and fees on something else.

6. - Iggy - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:06 pm:

I only remembered what it meant to be happy when living in Illinois after I left state government and the patch.

7. - Semayor - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:08 pm:

Not since trump won.

8. - NoGifts - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:11 pm:

I am happy and consider myself lucky each day. I bet people who read Capitol Fax are, on the whole, happier than the general population. :)

9. - Smooch - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:11 pm:

Really Rich, we are taking WalletHub’s rankings.

Did you post this with straight face?

10. - slow down - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:14 pm:

As long as I don’t think about how I’m going to pay for 3 college educations, I’m happy.

11. - Joe M - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:15 pm:

Yes, very happy. (exclamation point). I have a good job. I love my wife. I have great kids. And none of my kids live at home any more, and none are in jail and none have outstanding warrants for their arrest. Life is good.

Its interesting that as far as happy countries go, polls show that the Scandinavian countries are all in the top ten happiest countries.

12. - Ducky LaMoore - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:15 pm:

===Illinois is happier than Maine, Texas and Florida? We are going with that are we?===

Just because you are miserable, doesn’t mean everyone else in Illinois is. These rankings use a ton of data over the whole population.

13. - zatoichi - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:18 pm:

Kids are grown with good jobs, extended family is healthy, we got jobs that we like, house paid for, savings ok, involved with community volunteer activities. Illinois is not much different than other states I have lived in. Maybe we are lucky, but things could be far worse

14. - The_Equalizer - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:21 pm:

Very much so. I own a house and hope to retire by 60 with grandkids around. Hard to complain…yet I still do. :)

15. - Annonin' - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:21 pm:

Happy —mostly due to family doing well. However I tend to ignore that wailing from the fake newsers about how bad it is in IL. It is silliness o say the least
    Plus who would not be happy to live in this state of opportunity where guys like Capt Fax can become very wealthy with this flim flam, Speaker Madigan can continue to lead and we can ignore the idea of a revenue bond capitol program.

16. - Anon - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:21 pm:

As a state worker who was hired at step IC in 2014 and has been stuck at below entry level wages since I am far from happy.

Its very depressing if you actually knew how much one govenor can mess up young and new state workers.

17. - Reaganing - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:22 pm:

I would say I have a pretty good outlook on life, generally speaking.

18. - ===Ducky=== - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:24 pm:

No I don’t need you or Wallethub to assess happiness. How about you put your USA Today down for a minute and think for yourself, instead of pretending you can do it for me or anyone else?

19. - walker - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:31 pm:

i’d be a lot happier if I weren’t infected with the Illinois politics bug.

20. - Come On - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:33 pm:

Very happy. Very lucky. Very grateful.

21. - doofusguy - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:38 pm:

I think I’m happy despite the times when I’m not -

22. - Amalia - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:43 pm:

on a day to day basis yes, but not so much when I pull back and see the whole picture which has some holes in it. And I’m so unhappy not just since the election of Trump, but with his performance.much worse than I expected, but clearly what I expected as I screamed at the “Susan Sarandons” before the election to vote for Hillary. the Trump comments after Charlottesville, especially his second turn at dual blame, sent me into a deep political funk that spilled over in ways I swore I would never let happen. I simply can’t behave anymore when someone even intimates they did not vote for her.

23. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:46 pm:

I would say content for myself, happy for my children, but worried about their future.

24. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:48 pm:

===Do you consider yourself “happy”?===

Since this Spring, I’ve tried to be happy, and calm, and at peace. I’m lucky. The simplistic saying “there are people worse off” shouldn’t be tossed around as flippantly as it is.

I’m trying to find a happiness with a peace. I’m happy in so many ways, blessed.

To tie myself to this polling/ranking, I’d say “if I had my same situation; family, friends, any variable you’d like to add, and then have these same answers be married to a locale, would I be ‘happier’… I don’t think I would be, even moving to places I’d like to be… South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee… ”

Since Spring, and things I’d like to be, or want, or strive… I’m as happy and blessed as I can be until I can get to a more peaceful Zen place.

Illinois can be that place. It’s all up to me.

25. - Little Egypt - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:50 pm:

Yes, yes, yes. I’m a 20 year cancer survivor, hubby and I are retired, own our home, have a stable of vehicles, both sons are college educated and neither they nor us had any college debt (we did pay as you go). Healthy, live in a small community with very little crime. Oh yes, God has blessed us immensely.

26. - Perrid - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:55 pm:

I am certainly content, I have no real complaints. My life is fairly easy and stress free, I have a good job that provides for everything I need and then some. When I hear that question I get a picture of cheerful people always being chipper and energetic and outgoing and things like that, which is not me, but again, I’m pretty content with my life right now.

27. - Boone's is Back - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:57 pm:

===Wisconsin took the 9 spot===

Was “happy” a part of dumb, fat, and happy?

28. - Honeybear - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 3:58 pm:

No, I’m not. There are good times and joy here and there. But for the most part I feel like a partisan in an occupied land. I am fearful and anxious, fierce, passionate, and sometimes hopeful.
    Happiness seems foreign and transitory now. I go feel satisfaction when I’ve organized or participated in a direct action or had a meaning filled moment.
    But I think I’ve lost happiness.

29. - titan - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 4:03 pm:

I’m a happy person.

While life certainly hasn’t always gone perfect or ideal, I have pretty much always been a fairly happy person.

On the whole, things have gone rather well too.

30. - Tequila Mockingbird - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 4:04 pm:

No. At an age where I planned to pay off a mortgage and save more for retirement, my wife and I are paying $1700 per month for high deductible health insurance and higher taxes. Working harder with less to show for it. I’m worn out and tired of fighting it.

31. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 4:04 pm:

I need a love to keep me happy,
    I need a love, baby won’t ya keep me happy.
    Baby, won’t ya keep me happy.

32. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 4:09 pm:

I’d say I am pretty freaking happy when it comes to my individual life right now outside of my rooting interests in the Chicago Bears and Illini sports.

In the background though is general anxiety and fear that is politics related.

Just about every day I come across something a national Republican politician is doing that feels like they are pointlessly and obviously lying to me, cheating me as a taxpayer, and/or putting me in needless harm from powerful economic forces, environmental dangers, or foreign adversaries over which I have no control so that Republicans can obtain some partisan benefit to the detriment of me as an individual and/or the country generally.

Still, I have mostly adjusted to the new 2017 reality without letting my fear and anxiety interfere too much with my sleep, work, or personal relationships… except when it comes to the healthcare debate which feels like a life or death issue for me and could ultimately be as someone with a pre-existing condition who was denied insurance pre-Obamacare.

33. - Interim Retired - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 4:17 pm:

While there are things that could be better, I am much more positive than negative. I am retired, but enjoy working 3 days/week. 3 of our 4 kids have graduated w/jobs related to what they studied - the 4th is in college (hence working 3 days/week). My concern w/politics & government is that compromise is seen as a filthy word today. Kids today do more volunteer work than my generation ever did & that is cause for celebration.

34. - DeseDemDose - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 4:17 pm:

Good Physical and Mental health. The rest is up to you.

35. - Amalia - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 4:31 pm:

@Honeybear, on this board, we are happy with you!!!

36. - Blue dog dem - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 4:42 pm:

Happines is…..sitting in a deer stand.

37. - RoscoeRatMatt - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 5:09 pm:

Still working on ‘happy,’ but I’d say I can spot it at the end of the tunnel. I’m 34, with 12 years in state gov’t and, despite being a couple step increases from $75K, was able to buy my apartment in Roscoe Village free and clear with the help of family. I’m generally pleased where the home-front is concerned, but conversely, the property taxes, fees, fines, and general increased costs of living in the Chicagoland area enrages me immensely. I suppose I should be thankful I can afford it, but that gratitude hasn’t hit me yet. A complete and total sea change in Chicagoland politicians (mayor, governor, county board president, commissioners, et all) might move the needle a few points further in the right direction.

38. - Anon221 - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 5:10 pm:

Amalia and Honeybear- I would offer you this one small token of advice, something that has taken me a couple of decades to achieve following the trauma of the ’80s Farm Crisis.

Always, everyday, look for a moment of happiness. Take time to watch a cloud. Listen to birdsong. Feel a rose petal. Just a little something for just a few seconds.

It helps:)

39. - Amalia - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 5:21 pm:

@Anon221, thank you. good reminder.

40. - allknowingmasterofracoondom - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 5:48 pm:

Yes I am happy. Today I had a bowel movement and the Cubs play tonight. What is there not to be happy about?

41. - @MisterJayEm - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 5:59 pm:

Happy enough.

– MrJM

42. - AlfondoGonz - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 7:48 pm:

In moments

43. - Iamthepita - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 9:39 pm:

Taking subjective perspective and interpreting that into objective data… cue Pharrell’s music video “Happy” and report your findings after 24 hours:

44. - Eddy - Wednesday, Sep 20, 17 @ 9:51 pm:

If I wake up breathing, it’s an awesome day. If I wake up in Heaven, it’ll be an awesome eternity. Either way, I love being alive. Every day I choose to be happy. So I am happy.

45. - cc - Thursday, Sep 21, 17 @ 1:27 am:

I have a healthy 6 month old great grandson and a great granddaughter that could be here for me to hold at any moment. What could be better.

46. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Sep 21, 17 @ 7:35 am:

“It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else.”

Arthur Schopenhauer

* Quinn's Obama ad shenanigan prompts rebuke: "Black voters won’t be bamboozled by him again"
* HRC does GOTV robo for JB
* Rauner says he will "work hard" to unify party after primary
* Newt boosts Bruce in 11th Hour anti-Madigan robo
* *** UPDATED x3 *** Late shenanigans!
* Gov. Rauner compares Speaker Madigan to Al Capone
* Bombshell: Scandal rocks tronc
* Because... Madigan!
* Can't buy me love, everybody tells me so
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today's edition
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Early afternoon shenanigans!
* Final pre-election roundup
* Caption contest!
* *** UPDATED x1 - Rauner dodges *** Monday morning shenanigans roundup
* Lipinski roundup
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Rauner mailers predict "showdown" with Madigan, who will be sent "packing"
* The politics behind Rauner's veto and the future of gun bills
* Sometimes, you just gotta laugh at this stuff or you'll cry
* Still more shenanigans!
* Sunday campaign money roundup
* Even more shenanigans!
* More shenanigans!
* Saturday campaign money report
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Shenanigans!
* Tribune drops bombshell on Biss running mate

* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....
* Illinois primary could set up most expensive go.....

* Trial begins for man accused in shooting death of teacher
* Southern Illinois man pleads guilty to bank fraud charges
* Rockford proposing new video gaming fees
* Couple dies after crash into suburban Chicago retention pond
* Benedictine University seeks selling campus as 1 parcel
* For menopause sex discomfort, gel worked as well as hormone
* Illinois seeks plans for closed Lake Shelbyville resort
* Hikers find crashed car in suburban Chicago with body inside
* For menopause sex discomfort, gel worked as well as estrogen
* Security of state voter rolls a concern as primaries begin

* Candidates scramble to finish line as Election Day arrives
* Candidates for Illinois governor spend $65.7 million on TV ads –– just for the primaries
* Security of state voter rolls a concern as primaries begin
* As primaries loom, downstate Democrats look for a way back
* Pritzker defends putting $69.5 million of his fortune into campaign
* Illinois governor race more fierce, costly as primary nears
* Madigan backs Dem central committee incumbent in 13th
* Trump factor looms large in Illinois governor primary campaigns
* Ray LaHood brokers deal for O'Hare expansion

* Ferro accused of sexual misconduct: report
* McDonald's wants to end potential landmark workplace case
* Is tomorrow the day of reckoning for Mike Madigan?
* Ferro exits Trib parent after tumultuous tenure

* Ferro exits Trib parent after tumultuous tenure

* St. Patrick’s Day sober driving campaign leads to 194 citations in Evanston
* Dear Abby: Man makes a habit of raping his wife
* Police involved in SWAT incident in Rogers Park
* Jon Lester pitches into seventh in spring win, looks ready for opener
* Horoscope for March 20, 2018
* Persons of interest being questioned about armed-robbery spree on Northwest Side
* Police warn of recent Belmont Central robberies
* Trial begins for man accused in shooting death of teacher
* Cubs reliever Pedro Strop makes spring debut, says he’ll be ready for season
* Missouri Gov. Greitens wants criminal trial moved up to April 3

* Hourslong SWAT incident ongoing in Rogers Park
* Jon Lester on Cubs' outlook as spring training winds down: 'I like where we're at'
* There's a small chance an asteroid will smack into Earth in 2135, but NASA is working on a plan
* Sister Jean, Loyola's 'international celebrity,' adjusts to burgeoning popularity
* Facebook's rules for accessing user data lured more than just Cambridge Analytica
* Uber suspends self-driving car tests after pedestrian death in Arizona
* Trump shakes up legal team by hiring lawyer who sees president as target of FBI conspiracy
* After 4th Austin explosion, police warn of sophisticated 'serial bomber'
* Barron Trump's school joins call for president to enact gun control - and not to arm teachers
* Knicks blow out dismal and shorthanded Bulls 110-92

» March 19, 2018 - Full Show
» Two Woman Accuse Former Tronc Chairman Michael Ferro Of Sexual Misconduct
» Two Women Accuse Former Tronc Chairman Michael Ferro Of Sexual Misconduct
» New Book Highlights Important African American Women In Chicago History
» What’s A Democratic Ward Organization?
» Primary Day Is Tomorrow: The Gubernatorial Candidates, Fact-Checking, And Your Voting Rights
» A Feisty Debate, Offshore Accounts — And Some Side-Eye

* Charles Wayne Goforth
* Mary Belle Osman Morgan
* Martha Ann Gregge
* Phyllis Ann Rath

* Reports: Hultgren fires aide Provenzano after sexual encounter with teen boy
* Griffin's big third quarter helps Pistons top Kings 106-90
* Indian wildlife sanctuary sees jump in one-horned rhinos
* Arlington Heights board again rejects plan for downtown apartments
* Girls soccer scoreboard: Monday, March 19 results

* Lesbian Super PAC endorses straight woman ...
* Reps. Hoyer, Price and Schneider: Poland's...
* US government denies Afghanistan War veter...
* Democrats say Trump associate may have mis...
* Time to shape up security clearance proces...
* US government denies Afghanistan War veter...
* Time to shape up security clearance proces...
* Democrats say Trump associate may have mis...
* Reps. Hoyer, Price and Schneider: Poland's...
* This RSS feed URL is deprecated

* Shutdown looming, Congress and White House......
* Congress and White House seek budget deal ......
* Sens. Dick Durbin, Lindsey Graham Warn Tru......
* Sens. Dick Durbin, Lindsay Graham Warn Tru......
* Republicans warn Trump: Leave Mueller alone...

* Sen. Tammy Duckworth on being the first se......
* Sen. Tammy Duckworth on being 1st senator ......
* Zinke defends use of Japanese word: How co......
* Congolese mother and child finally reunite......
* Schatz to convene field hearing on false m......

* What's going on in Austin, Texas
* Next election cycles already begun, even though this one ain’t over yet!
* I Think Ives Might Pull It Off
* Managing Your Business to the Law’s Demands: Even If a Text is Clear — Courts, Agencies Often Just Ignore It (Part I of II)
* How Can Businesses Get More for Less as Legal and Regulatory Demands Just Proliferate?
* Alliance Grids - Take 3 - Subcircuits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
* Start here for the most complete information about every 2018 Cook County judicial race
* FWIW tops 2,000,000 page views
* Learning Designers as Digital Nomads
* Tips for Working Full-Time While Taking Online Classes

* February Flooding Information
* IEMA Urges People to Prepare for Severe Weather
* Governor issues state disaster proclamation for flooding in Iroquois, Kankakee, Vermilion Counties
* Winter Storm Warnings for Areas Along and North of I-80
* IEMA Encourages People to Prepare for Earthquakes

* ​Beware marketers, the consumer data collection blowback is just starting
* Senate committee recommends expanding copyright safe harbours
* Facebook will hold an emergency meeting to let employees ask questions about Cambridge Analytica
* Uber’s self-driving car may not have been at fault for killing a pedestrian, but you should still be worried
* Deal: Free fast charge wireless charging stand with Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+
* Dead Zebra brings us into spring with special Android minifigs
* Is “elfin” the codename for the Nexus Player 2?

* Fulmer brimming with confidence
* White Sox pummel Diamondbacks just one day after, well, getting pum...
* Abreu embracing grind of Spring Training
* Fulmer's gem leads top prospects
* White Sox special event uniforms unveiled