Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x1 *** Will Rauner get a primary opponent?
*** UPDATED x1 *** Will Rauner get a primary opponent?

Friday, Sep 29, 2017

* Here’s John Kass

Some Republicans are already trying to save what’s left of the GOP by finding other conservative candidates to run against Rauner. Among the names being mentioned: state Rep. Jeanne Ives, of Wheaton, a conservative and graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Mentioned as a running mate is outgoing state Sen. Kyle McCarter, of downstate Lebanon.

An Ives-McCarter ticket. I’d pay to see that.

* But, let’s get real for a second

Several possible GOP candidates tell us their hesitation isn’t a fear of facing Rauner, but a fear of the general election. They say the mid-term could be a Democratic year and if there’s real anti-Trump sentiment, it could spell doom for any Republican running statewide in Illinois. Names floating around, state Rep. Jeanne Ives, state Sen. Kyle McCarter, state Sen. Sam McCann, Dan Proft.

Yep.

* And this is an excerpt from Sen. McCann’s Facebook post yesterday

Right now, I am being primaried for the third time in five years BY MY OWN PARTY.

Sangamon County Republican Chairman Rose Long said recently that I don’t represent their values. Her hand-picked candidate, Steve McClure is being supported by my own caucus-mates (fellow republican senators and representatives) and members of the Illinois Republican Congressional delegation. So - you’re right, I don’t represent your values!!! Because I don’t believe in selling out to Rauner Inc as you have and throwing your constituents under the bus as you all have!

I don’t believe in disregarding my oath and being party to destroying Representative Governmment, as so many of you have done.

I don’t believe in being anyone’s RUBBERSTAMP! I believe in being a voice and a vote for the People, not a pawn of the party.

So, to the People of the 50th Senate District, if you are looking for a #rubberstamp to go along with four more years of Rauner, then Chairman Rose Long, Steve McClure and the IL GOP are giving you an excellent opportunity to do so.

Sounds like he’s running for reelection, but things can change.

* Back to the bill signing

Rauner is betting he can still survive a primary challenge. But if he vetoed the abortion bill, how could he survive a general election in a blue state? The move negates the full-page ads, the Handmaid’s Tale protesters who prominently and frequently protest outside the Thompson Center in Chicago and in Springfield will likely disappear. His best argument is what he articulated on Thursday, that abortion isn’t really available equally to all women if there’s no access to it by those who can’t afford it. “No woman should be forced to make a different decision than another woman would based purely on her income,” Rauner said. “I am personally pro-choice, I always have been. I made no qualms about that when I was elected governor. I have not and never will change my views. I personally believe that a woman must have the right to decide what goes on in her own body.”

*** UPDATE ***  Greg Hinz

In a phone interview, state Rep. Jeanne Ives, a social and economic conservative and West Point graduate from Wheaton, said she’s concluded that Rauner “cannot be elected next year.”

“It’s his decision whether or not to run. If he does, I hope we’d put up a primary opponent against him, because I won’t be supporting him,” Ives continued.

Asked who that might be, Ives replied, “That’s an open question.” When I said that sounds like she’s interested, she answered, “I’ve not ruled it out,” noting not only Rauner’s “flip flop” on the abortion bill but also his earlier decision to sign bills boosting funding for Chicago Public Schools and directing law enforcement officials not to cooperate with federal immigration agents in many cases involving those in the country illegally.

1. - RNUG - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:24 am:

Heard Sam speak publicly earlier this week. The impression seemed to be he was running again for State Senator.

2. - Curl of the Burl - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:25 am:

Sam has quite the inferiority complex. Someone is ALWAYS out to get him. That was the case before he ran for the Senate, when he first ran for the Senate, when he got thrown into a new district, when he ran in 2016 and now.

3. - Curl of the Burl - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:27 am:

Sam should not be surprised if any of his colleagues throw him under the bus. He has done the same to them on the Senate floor - and he publicly threw Christine Radogno under the bus during the 2016 primary.

4. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:30 am:

… “if there’s real anti-Trump sentiment, it could spell doom for any Republican running statewide in Illinois.”

If? I know this is an Illinois centred political blog but this coming midterm election could be brutal to the GOP. Midterms are almost always a referendum on the party in power and I don’t see Trump getting his act together.

5. - Iggy - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:32 am:

Sam should take time and think before he speaks. to my knowledge RD and Lahood have not publicly endorsed any candidate in his race.

6. - Annonin' - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:33 am:

It would be fun to see FreeCollege Ives on full display.
    GuessinGovJunk decided hangin’ with the whack jobs just S* too much. Now he must focu on the hate speech on union and Chicago and se what happens.
    Or just drop out.
    His next task will be to govern and run against the back drop of Trump.

7. - Blue dog dem - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:34 am:

8. - Michelle Flaherty - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:36 am:

I will donate to an Ives-McCarter ticket.
    It’s about time we put a taxpayer funded coloring book in every church.

9. - Curl of the Burl - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:38 am:

Iggy - those two (and Shimkus) did back Benton in 2016.

10. - DeseDemDose - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:39 am:

No, Rauner, Grffen, Zell,& dark money is the backbone of the Illinois Republican Party.

11. - 47th Ward - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:39 am:

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part.

12. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:40 am:

===An Ives-McCarter ticket. I’d pay to see that.===

Boy, so would I. The theatre alone…

To the Post,

Rauner can’t get anyone to run for SoS, Treasurer, or Comproller.

Trump’s midterm is also a factor, I’m guessing, along with Rauner’s own numbers.

So…

What conservative Republican, in Trump’s midterm, in a blue state like Illinois, is willing first to face an unlimited amount of cash from Rauner to be personally destroyed, and… to be fortunate enough to “win”, after being dragged into the mud by Rauner, you get all the headwinds that is possibly Illinois in 2018.

And someone is going to take that challenge?

Hmm.

13. - No thanks - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:40 am:

Everyone of those names mentioned - other than Sam McCann - was with Rauner and supported Rauner and knew his pro-abortion views.

14. - Curl of the Burl - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:41 am:

DDD - hmm…dark money…like what Dan Biss “raised” late last year? To the tune of $10+ million?

15. - No thanks - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:41 am:

Of course, Kelly is also running and regardless of naysayers was against Rauner from the onset.

16. - Norseman - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:43 am:

Again, rational thought seems to be the victim of extremism. If not too much, I’d join Rich in paying to the show.

17. - WSJ Paywall - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:46 am:

No. Lots of smoke but no fire.

18. - TomiChicago - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:47 am:

I had forgotten just how bad a writer Kass is.

19. - RNUG - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:54 am:

== Sam should take time and think before he speaks. ==

-Iggy-, having attended a number of events where Sam spoke, both planned and off the cuff, I think Sam does think first. But sometimes he just decides to speak his mind anyway and let the chips fall where they may. He is normally diplomatic in that he usually critiszes both party’s policies when he is being critical.

Unlike Rauner’s good old boy routine being just an act, Sam is pretty much what you see is what you get. His supporters seem to like that.

20. - AC - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:54 am:

I’m starting to buy into the theory that this is carefully orchestrated political theatre designed to make folks forget about the destruction during Rauner’s term, and make him seem like a centrist. Ives would be perfect for the role. Then again, maybe I’m giving BTIA way too much credit.

21. - Anon221 - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:56 am:

More likely than not, if there is a primary challenger to Rauner, he will survive the challenge. This isn’t Alabama. The General is another thing altogether and much of that will hinge on what Democratic candidate survives the primary AND how united the Democratic front becomes AFTER the primary. Independent voters will be a key group, as will the Progressive Democrats. Rauner could easily win another 4 years if the Dems fall to infighting and finger pointing. And if a third party candidate gets on the ballot, that may also drain votes away from the Dems as a protest vote against both the Dem candidate and Rauner, making the overall race tighter. The Dems also need to keep doing what they are doing on multiple fronts about Rauner’s failures as a governor. He doesn’t need to be allowed four years of “prep school” for his second term. The “tuition” is far too high for the people of Illinois.

22. - Soccermom - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:57 am:

47th, it’s time to watch another movie.

I hear Casablanca is good.

23. - A guy - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 10:59 am:

==An Ives-McCarter ticket. I’d pay to see that.==

I was going to opine “That makes one”. But then Willy chimed in, so I’ll amend:

“That makes two”.

24. - ??? - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 11:06 am:

A guy - Make it three.

25. - cdog - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 11:09 am:

“An Ives-McCarter ticket. I’d pay to see that.”

I’d vote for it.

Ives has that in-your-face-with-truth, take no prisoners, warrior mentality.

She definitely has the skills to be an effective disruptor.

People are looking for bold, principled, non-establishment leaders.

I hope this gets some wind in the sails.

26. - Name Withheld - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 11:20 am:

If the past 2 or so years can be defined as ‘disruption’ - I’ve had my fill, thanks. Hows about we work on the task of creation instead of destruction for a change.

27. - Real - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 11:43 am:

To those who keep saying Rauner will survive a primary.. With who on the republican side voting for him? Take a look at his facebook page after the sanctuary bill and it was littered with his former voters vowing not to vote for him again.

28. - Rich Miller - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 11:46 am:

===With who on the republican side voting for him?===

Can’t beat somebody with nobody.

29. - former southerner - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 11:49 am:

Anyone wanting to live under disruption then much of central Africa will be to your liking. Here in central IL I would prefer something besides reality TV wannabes.

But if the IL GOP wants to get behind Jeanne Ives I fully support that as a member of the old establishment GOP who would like nothing better than for the modern GOP to finish its current crash and burn cycle so that it can once again embrace logic and rationality. Watching Ken Burns excellent series about Vietnam I was reminded how much Nixon was just a little ahead of his time in the GOP.

30. - Arsenal - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 11:52 am:

== The move negates the full-page ads, the Handmaid’s Tale protesters who prominently and frequently protest outside the Thompson Center in Chicago and in Springfield will likely disappear.==

We’ll see about that. I know PP remains livid with him, and Terry Cosgrove ain’t exactly a half-measures kind of guy.

31. - Anon221 - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:00 pm:

Building on Arsenal’s comment- there are many, many, many more ways Rauner has hurt women and children in this state during his tenure. Remember his compassion-competitive philosophy? That worked out so well during the impasse for rape crisis centers, womens’ shelters, healthcare, childcare, educational opportunities (MAP for example), and on and on. HB40 signing does not absolve him of those “sins”.

32. - @MisterJayEm - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:19 pm:

“She definitely has the skills to be an effective disruptor.”

The record of Jeanne Ives ‘effectiveness’ is well-established.

– MrJM

33. - Soccermom - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:19 pm:

Where can I donate to Ives for Governor?

34. - Macbeth - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:26 pm:

This is all such nonsense. It’s just a bunch of attention-starved people — Kass, included — raging into the wind.

No one is going to primary Rauner. We know this. Kass knows this. It’s just not going to happen.

And these same King Lears hollering into the abyss will, when it comes time to vote, vote for Rauner. We know this. We know this. Everybody knows this.

This is all nonsense.

35. - ZC - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:39 pm:

36. - 47th Ward - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:49 pm:

===Casablanca===

Lol. “Here’s looking at you, kid” didn’t seem appropriate to the situation.

37. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:50 pm:

Dan Proft is a big talker. His sugar daddy has a lot of money.

Why wouldn’t a brave, principled statesman like himself step up? From his last run, you know he has a solid base of 7% in a GOP primary to build on.

38. - 47th Ward - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:52 pm:

Ives-McCarter?

McCarter-Ives.

IVES-McCarter!

MCCARTER-Ives!

39. - @MisterJayEm - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 12:57 pm:

“I’m not sure a lot of everyday Christian conservatives in IL are gonna vote for Rauner, is the thing though. They may just pass him over on the ballot, come November 2018.”

– MrJM

40. - LoisLearned2much - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 1:12 pm:

Everyone of the above said candidates was bought out by the Rauner/Proft money. So, do we really want to elect another puppet of the Chicago money and thus elect Rauner, again. Or better yet, are we willing to fall for another political campaign scam, and Rauner Puppet to the money?

41. - Highland Il - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 1:24 pm:

I shouldn’t have read this post on my lunch hour. I almost spit all over my keyboard when I saw Ives-McCarter.

Thought Shimkus was going to get McCarter a job in Africa….

42. - Arsenal - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 1:59 pm:

==In November 2016, there was a contest between Christian conservatives’ principles and Christian conservatives’ partisanship — their partisanship won in a walk.==

Notable difference though is that Christian conservatives got what they wanted out of the deal, a buncha new right-wing judges. OTOH, Rauner just handed them something they hate.

43. - Zippity Do Da - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 2:11 pm:

Underestimate Jeanne Ives at your own peril!

44. - Curl of the Burl - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 2:22 pm:

MrJM - holding their noses and voting for Trump got conservatives Justice Neil Gorusch. Holding their noses and voting for Rauner got conservatives…hmm…not quite sure…

45. - VanillaMan - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 2:23 pm:

Knock-knock
    Who’s there?
    Opportunity
    Opportunity who?
    Opportunity for Former Congressman Joe Walsh

46. - Anon221 - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 2:30 pm:

I would love to see Ives and Rauner in a debate leading up to the primary. That would be priceless.

47. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 2:30 pm:

So lemme understand this…

Jeanne Ives might run against Rauner.

If true, she wouldn’t keep her House seat, she’d be done in the GA and….

… not only would she get beat, but would give me such comic glee and joy I couldn’t see straight?

Sign me up

48. - Curl of the Burl - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 2:44 pm:

I can imagine an Ives-Rauner debate consisting of Jeanne Ives screaming the whole time and Bruce Rauner looking like he is ready for bed.

49. - ArchPundit - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 3:11 pm:

—Underestimate Jeanne Ives at your own peril!

What’s the peril?Laughing myself silly?

50. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 3:14 pm:

===Underestimate Jeanne Ives at your own peril!===

They said the same about the Confederacy…

51. - cdog - Friday, Sep 29, 17 @ 3:31 pm:

What needs to happen is a postmortem analysis of the lies Rauner told to the GOP at the statehouse, for the last 2.5 years.

Until all the lies are accounted for, the man will remain powerful.

Bring the truth. Tell us all the times he lied and succeeded in prolonging the budget stalemate.

It’s so obvious, but needs to be exercised.

TrackBack URI

* "Watchdog" flatly denies getting money from Illinois Policy Institute, but group funded 98 percent of budget
* Governor promised "superstar" appointee a year ago, hasn't delivered
* Chicago survives the first cut in Amazon HQ2 sweepstakes
* Rauner to air entire Blagojevich/Pritzker audio this weekend
* Adlai III endorses Biss

* Illinois education officials want to double sta.....
* Rauner spokesman: 'Governor believes David Duke.....
* Empty seat should be filled - Champaign/Urbana .....
* Could a Political Newcomer Unseat Illinois’s Mo.....
* Chuck Sweeny: Grasso, Mohammad make pitches for.....
* IL Gubernatorial Candidates Spend $26M in Last .....
* Price Tag High in Race For Illinois Governor - .....
* Morning Spin: Even after tax hike, Illinois edu.....
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spent $26M in la.....

* Rockford mayor says he'll seek limits to home rule powers
* Congresswoman collecting Valentine's Day cards for veterans
* Chicago trader accused of killing friend, dumping body
* Illinois sheriff helping people find opioid antidote drug
* Judge keeping some documents secret in Hastert lawsuit
* Ex-Ataris bassist indicted, accused of telemarketing fraud
* Rock bassist indicted, accused of telemarketing fraud
* Suspect in terror-related case claims 'combatant immunity'
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $28M in last 3 months
* Chicago group sues US Steel over Indiana plant's discharges

* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $26M in last 3 months
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $28M in last 3 months
* Statehouse bill would connect rural schools to high-speed internet
* Statehouse bill would connect rural schools to high speed internet
* Education officials want to double state budget for schools
* University of Illinois trustee seat has been empty a year
* Rauner campaign: 'Governor believes David Duke is a racist'
* Rauner defends amendatory veto of school funding bill
* Rauner signs bill to focus on needs of female prison inmates
* Rauner tours Lincoln prison, touts reforms helping female inmates

* Chicago makes first cut for Amazon HQ2
* Vending machine food that's good for you? Yes, really.
* Here's Latinicity's new sit-down restaurant
* Paul Vallas says he's 'seriously considering' running for mayor
* Poll finds Rauner way ahead of GOP challenger

* Chicago makes first cut for second Amazon headquarters
* WATCH: Kris Dunn’s scary fall took a chunk out of the United Center floor
* Red Lobster’s plan: Kitchen upgrades, small-plate dishes
* Man charged with robbing Aurora gas station at gunpoint
* Trump insists his views on a border wall have not ‘evolved’
* Pair of Chinese giant pandas get snowy welcome in Finland
* Emirates throws Airbus A380 a lifeline with $16 billion deal
* All-new Dodge Durango SRT is high-powered 3-row SUV
* ‘Independent’ city watchdog Khan’s secret backer? Right-wing policy group
* 52 people die in bus fire in Kazakhstan

* Amazon narrows list of headquarters cities to 20 finalists
* Neighbor of Glenview business complains of mulch smell, noisy trucks
* Doctors divided over report that popular morning sickness drug doesn't work
* 2 killed in South Side shooting — first gun deaths in Chicago in 7 days
* 3 Midwest inns ideal for a romantic winter escape
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 1/18/18
* Chicago a finalist for Amazon's HQ2
* Gourmet doughnut shop opens Monday in downtown West Dundee
* Willson Contreras: Comment about 'going to be better' than Yadier Molina and Buster Posey 'misinterpreted'
* Incarnation Catholic, Our Lady of the Ridge to close at school year's end

» A Prescription For Fruits And Veggies: One Solution To Food Insecurity in Illinois
» A Call For Transparency
» 2 Illinois Governor Candidates Spend $26M In Last 3 Months
» State Board of Education: Double School Funding Now
» Lawmakers Demand Fast Internet For Rural Schools
» 2 Dreamers Discuss Helping Other Immigrants Amid Uncertainty
» Rauner Spokesman: 'Governor Believes David Duke Is A Racist'
» Rauner Signs Law To Help Women Behind Bars
» A Poor Neighborhood In Chicago Looks To Cuba To Fight Infant Mortality
» Democratic Candidates In Lockstep At Justice Forum

* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $26M in last 3 months
* Our View: Focus on cost-cutting, then turn to taxes
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $28M in last 3 months
* Statehouse bill would connect rural schools to high-speed internet
* Education officials want to double state budget for schools
* University of Illinois trustee seat has been empty a year
* Rauner campaign: 'Governor believes David Duke is a racist'
* Our View: Dubious tariff endangers newspapers' future
* Byron York: Paul Manafort has a point
* EJ Dionne: Will Trump exhaust our democratic capacities?

* Mission of school library has not changed — promote reading. But it has many more tools available.
* Fill up now: Gas prices expected to jump up to 20 cents after refinery outage
* Crash kills one, closes Illinois 15 in Washington County
* 1898: Hard cider had farmers singing neighbor’s praises
* Boiling down what you need to know about boil orders
* Around Town: Trivia night to benefit Life Long Music in O’Fallon schools
* A look at the families of Louis and Leo Steiner
* A Cahokia man’s mission was to take down the Taliban. His story hits theaters Friday.
* Girl finds fingertip left behind after fatal crash
* Murphysboro City Council votes to pay half for 20th Street asphalt work after excess clean-up required

* Analysis: Fact-checking Trump's 'Fake News awards'
* Son rising to celebrated status in Premier League
* Indiana man charged in death of girlfriend's 4-year-old son
* In TV interview, Farrow describes alleged Allen assault
* Chicago makes top 20 for Amazon HQ 2

* Letter: Talk to tax preparer about GOP tax...
* Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and...
* Lawmakers back renaming Warrenville post o...
* Teacher raised in Yorkville running agains...
* Tioga State Bank president and CEO address...
* Kane County assessor: No guarantee your ta...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...
* Suburban Democrats line up to challenge Ro...
* Hultgren joins fellow lawmakers fighting t...
* 3 suburban GOP reps provide crucial votes ...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* Senator Durbin: “It doesn't bother me one ......
* Democrats Are 'Dicking Around' the Militar......

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* Net neutrality allies are ready to fight. ......

* City Announces Start Date (2019) And Staging Area (Parking Lot) For Complete Rebuild of the Lawrence Red Line Station
* CBS Chicago: Englewood school plan still a tough sell
* Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury, and the question of when we get to say the hell with the rules
* Kalak is a vodka that drinks like whiskey
* City Council Approves Cappleman-Sponsored Program To House Homeless
* Life In Chicago: Grant Fraud, Boot Bribery & Unnecessary OT
* Can The Winter Olympics Save The World?
* Gutierrez offers Kelly an apology, and all it took was the White House chief of staff implying Donald Trump, misspoke
* At The Illinois Holocaust Museum | Speak Truth To Power
* Happy Anniversary, La Patisserie P!

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* 18% off travel adapter compatible in 150+ countries
* Facebook Messenger Bug Preventing Some iPhone Users From Being Able to Type Messages
* Motorola’s new Moto Folio Mod costs $11 and fits any Moto Z smartphone
* New Details and First Trailer Debut for iOS RPG 'Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery'
* MIUI 9 is supported by an impressive total of 40 Xiaomi Android devices
* [Deal] Grab the Honor 9 for just £299 in today’s flash sale
* ‘chaiOS’ bug can break your iPhone’s Messages app and freeze your device with a link

* Collins ranked MLB's No. 9 catching prospect
* With maturity comes lofty expectations for Eloy
* Pirates rebuild not met with enthusiasm
* Moncada guiding Robert during mini-camp