Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Pritzker airs ad about his mother
Pritzker airs ad about his mother

Thursday, Oct 5, 2017

* Shia Kapos

In his latest political ad, Pritzker opens up about how his mother, Sue Pritzker, coped with the death of Pritzker’s father and how it shaped his own life. Pritzker was 7 when Donald Pritzker died of a sudden heart attack. […]

Before the new ad hit the airwaves, Pritzker talked to me about how it came about. It wasn’t something he planned to include in his campaign to unseat Gov. Bruce Rauner. “Someone turned a camera on me and asked me some questions,” he said in an interview this week. After wrapping up the Q&A, Pritzker told staffers that that portion of the video “wasn’t usable in any way.”

* The ad

* Transcript

When I was 7 years old, my dad passed away, and my mother was left with three young children. She lost her job as my father’s partner in business. She lost her life partner, and she was afflicted with alcoholism.

She struggled valiantly to overcome a disease so she could take care of her own kids, and even though she lost the battle, she ultimately won because although she passed away, all three of us survived.

I think that when you watch somebody struggle, you develop a kind of empathy and understanding. It becomes your responsibility to step in.

I’ve tried to do that during my life wherever I could. I think it’s, in a way, a way for me to honor my mother. She needed help. We needed help. When I have the ability to do it, I should do it.

Pritzker’s campaign also has a fairly recent TV ad featuring his wife. Click here for that one.

1. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 10:51 am:

====But the campaign staff saw a human side of a man who has the world by the tail. They convinced him to share it. The ad explains what Pritzker’s friends see – a man empathetic to issues that cross wealth and class.===

Ball. Game.

Whomever (as a group or one person) convinced the ad producers to save this footage and then convinced JB to cut and run this… they are the type(s) you want to work with in a Crew.

To the Ad?

“A+”

“Why?”

Here’s the premise of the ad. This is what this ad hoped to do, according to the campaign…

By every measure, this ad does all that statement says.

JB is relatable in a way I couldn’t maybe see before this ad. He talks of struggles, and before the “oh yeah, well… “… No… Stop… Alcoholism and families are hurt and the struggles within a family to cope are real, and you see, truly see the recollection and a coming to peace and that is as real and raw and honest as you can hope to see from anyone, let alone a candidate sharing in an ad about something so personal.

It will be, arguably, one of the best ads anyone rolls out, because in the end, it’s not an ad about selling a candidate, it’s an ad bringing people closer and getting to know JB, and he is a lot “like me”, “like us”, “like family we know”

It’s an “A+”

2. - Seats - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 10:56 am:

Both of these are great. Willy sums up my thoughts on the mother commercial.

As for his wife; he will never WIN the south but her being from South Dakota could give a bit of relatablity to women in the south to steal some votes. As I imagine the goal is to attempt to keep it close down south and to win chicago by a landslide.

3. - Honeybear - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 10:57 am:

There. right there. that this twice a day and three times on Sunday.

I am totally connected in on this.

You know I almost lost it all. During the great recession I had to chose between fuel for my car or food. I ended up putting a little gas in my car and buying chef Boy Ardee for dinner. Luckily the girls were young and thought it was a treat.

I chose to stop my career in ministry to serve the people who have to make decisions like that in the “Aid Office” as it’s known in East St.Louis.
    I chose to work where I do. I chose to work for the state doing what I do
    I chose because of my own experience with need, vulnerability, and helplessness.

I’ve met JB several times. Every time he’s been personable and just like he is in this video.
    I believe he is the person portrayed here.
    Honestly
    My career in the Navy, ministry, and public service has given me skills in judging character. That’s why I’m so hard on Rauner and his perfidy. It’s why I’m starting to go hard on some people here.
    Honestly, and believe me or not.
    I get what he’s saying about the source of his empathy. I get it. I believe it’s genuine.

And it doesn’t come from his Swedish grandfather.

4. - Seats - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 10:58 am:

Wow JB came across as relatable and didnt even have to drop any g’s or wear carhartt costumes.

5. - Northsider - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:00 am:

The one with M.K.? A “C”; it strikes me a typical “spouse speaks” ad that neither hurts nor helps.

This one, however, an “A+” for all the reasons OW has laid out.

6. - We'll See - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:03 am:

Very powerful ad that reveals a very human side. Contrast that with another guy who phonies it up with biker vests, a Charhartt jacket, the trashcan van etc, etc.

7. - Gruntled University Employee - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:06 am:

As usual, Willy sums it up perfectly. That ad is about as naked, honest and relate-able as you’re going to get.

8. - A guy - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:10 am:

It’s a very solid ad. I’m not buying for a second that this was “toss” footage. It was too well concepted for that. It really doesn’t matter, or need a back story. It’s just a very good, and compelling ad. His first in my book.

9. - Amalia - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:11 am:

well coached. but an A.

10. - Bigtwich - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:15 am:

Both excellent but for some reason I am unable to grasp I am suspicious about ads by a gubernatorial candidates wife.

11. - Arsenal - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:16 am:

==he will never WIN the south but her being from South Dakota could give a bit of relatablity to women in the south to steal some votes.==

Yes. There’s a big difference between losing downstate 65-36 and losing it 60-40.

12. - yinn - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:20 am:

I want to meet JB but most of all I want to meet Honeybear.

13. - Henry Francis - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:21 am:

JB comes across as a real person (not trying so hard to fit some charicarture) and genuine. The antithesis of the current Guv.

14. - Ghost - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:25 am:

JB makes the actual connection Kennedy has been hoping to generate just with his name, hoping and failing.

15. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:27 am:

A+. For those of us who had a mother struggle with alcoholism, be defeated by it, and in turn struggle with its emotional aftermath, this hits home. Hits home thunderously.
    I am very cynical about political ads, and this is one of the very few I’ve ever watched. He was sincere to me and while he may put a face on some of his ads, this one needed only his real one.

16. - Dave W - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:29 am:

“And we survived.” Inheriting few billion dollars did the trick.

17. - Because I said so.... - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:29 am:

I think well edited rather than well coached. Great ad!

18. - BuckinIrish - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:30 am:

I wish they didn’t push the whole “He never wanted this to see the light of day” premise. Seems unrealistic that he would give that strong an answer for some random Q&A. That being said, it doesn’t take away from how great this ad is in general. It makes you realize that being a billionaire doesn’t make his life perfect. He has had the trials and tribulations in his family life that money can never paper over. Everyone can relate to that.

19. - Chicagonk - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:33 am:

Not criticizing the ads, but if you don’t come across well in your own political ad, you are definitely doing something wrong.

20. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:35 am:

===Inheriting few billion dollars did the trick.===

Yep, a person losing his father young and having an alcoholic mother is offset by a dollar amount you deem “even”

Must be nice, not knowing families, friends, in your own family, the struggles of something like alcoholism, or losing a parent young.

No. Stop.

It’s one thing to be cynical, and some are, I can understand…

… to diminish the impact of an alcoholic parent and losing the other parent too… No. No amount of money makes someone whole.

21. - Chicago Cynic - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:39 am:

“well coached. but an A.”

Sorry but that’s offensive. It’s not well coached. It’s his life. Just because the guy is a billionaire doesn’t mean he’s not a human. This was a very real and painful chapter in his life. Can we let the cynicism go just for a minute?

22. - DeseDemDose - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 11:50 am:

JB Pritzker comes across as a man whose goal is not inflict pain on the people of Illinois especially those that need help the most from State government.Rauner did just that for ego, financial, and political gain.

23. - Southwest Burbs - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 12:18 pm:

Thought it was a great ad when I see it on WGN this morning, but not gonna lie as soon as he mentioned his siblings, I thought of the Blago tapes and him backing Hillary over Barack. Anytime I think of Penny I think of him laughing at his sister. I have two brothers, I might make fun of them to my wife bc I’m joking, but I would never laugh or joke at their misfortunes, especially to a future felon.

24. - Southside Markie - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 12:19 pm:

I like JB and will likely vote for him. I don’t think this ad is going to go over well. I don’t want to sound callous. Living with a parent who struggles with alcoholism and losing parents at a young age is a horrible experience that transcends wealth. But it is a lot easier to survive all of that when money is not an issue than when the loss of parents leaves children destitute. Rightly or wrongly, I think that is how most people are going to view the ad, i.e, that it sounds disingenuous for a billionaire to be talking about the triumph of survival.

25. - jeffinginChicago - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 12:20 pm:

Great ad. It personalizes him and gives reason for running.

26. - Amalia - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 12:24 pm:

a person is well coached when they remove the arrogance from their attitude. and perhaps well edited as well.

27. - Soccermom - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 12:35 pm:

Dave W, how much would you sell your family for?

28. - Seats - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 12:35 pm:

Southside Markie - I don’t think that is what he was doing. Sure the money makes the survival process into a successful life easier, but I gathered that its implied he was blessed to have proper support; something other children currently don’t have so that he will take measures to ensure that they have improved support in the all to common similar situation.

29. - Southside Markie - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 12:57 pm:

Seats: Again, JB is a good guy and I’m sure that is what he meant. But I didn’t see that implication and I’m not sure that a cynical electorate being bombarded with his and other ads is going to take the time to see it either. I fear that it will be dismissed as a billionaire whining. Again, not my opinion of what he is doing. It’s my opinion of how it will be perceived.

30. - Seats - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 1:03 pm:

Fair enough. You might be correct? My liking of him as a candidate sort of hinders my ability to see the potential negative view on things at time.

31. - Reality Check - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 1:18 pm:

This spot requires the viewer’s engagement. If you get that, seeing a real, human, genuine emotion from a candidate is so rare that this is an A.

32. - Trapped in the 'burbs - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 1:51 pm:

I wonder what Rauner and his team of superstars thought. Pritzker came off really well.

33. - Arsenal - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 1:54 pm:

I’m not sure this is really “found footage”, either, but it’s clearly taken Pritzker some time to get comfortable talking about this.

34. - walker - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 2:54 pm:

A+ for the Pritzker ad because it shows the truth.

When chatting with him personally, you get the same solid, caring person. Politics aside, he really surprised me.

35. - Lefty Lou - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 2:54 pm:

Based on the comments here, JB can always be Pope if he doesn’t win the election. Pope JB has a nice ring to it.

Has anyone checked on the wages earned by all the folks working for JB. Those housekeeping jobs are a sweet deal and I’m sure all those people are singing JB’s praises.

All the fawning over a slickly edited ad, and it is an ad people. I’ll wait to see if any more turns up before election day that shows JB is a do as I say, not as I do kind of guy.

36. - Anon0091 - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 4:57 pm:

LeftyLou, JB doesn’t run Hyatt. Never has so not sure what “folks working for JB” you’re referring to.

37. - Advertising - Thursday, Oct 5, 17 @ 5:40 pm:

Manufactured empathy and compassion with strong value signaling and literally zero political or policy substance. This will be wildly popular with the Illinois Left.

38. - billion dollar baby - Wednesday, Oct 11, 17 @ 7:13 pm:

Would not vote for any Pritzker in conversation with Blago they talked about his sister Penny Superior Bank failure due to sub prime lending an the big laugh they had - 1400 depositors and hundreds of people lost their homes they had a lot more sad stories to talk about and the word is called greed.

39. - The Tidy Bowl Man Magic - Thursday, Oct 12, 17 @ 7:58 am:

I would for JB if he could make my taxes disappear like his. 40 million dollar house with 8 bathroom disconnect the toilet and flush over 200 thousand in taxes away. I am paying the same taxes he is know paying with a much small house and 3 toilets.
    I am going to disconnect the 3 toilets an rent a porta-john set in the garage were it warm and cook county should owe me money.
    But I don’t know Berrio’s like JB.

* Illinois rated second most likely governor's office to flip parties
* It's just a bill
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - A couple of new mailers and a fundraising list
* Rauner says "left-leaning" Chicago press is "plenty biased"
* Keep your trackers out of taverns
* "If any region should feel alienated from state government, it's the suburbanites"
* Democratic legislator files resolution condemning "scofflaw counties"
* Rauner ad gets it wrong, but Pritzker needs to end his silence
* Just a small critique
* Are the Democrats unified?
* Buttigieg delivered the best zinger of the day
* White vows to finish out sixth term
* Rauner to return to Quincy Veterans Home this weekend
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* Rauner signs bill to educate students about loans..
* Gov. Rauner Signs Series of Public Safety Bills.....
* Governor signs Sen. Chuck Weaver's bill on .....
* Gov. Rauner names August 17 as Traffic Fatality.....
* Gov. Rauner proclaims Traffic Fatality Awarenes.....
* Madigan court foe Gonzales backs Pritzker, says.....
* Rauner signs new FOID bill..
* Williamson Co. IL passes gun control resolution..
* Misleading campaign mailers go out as long as t.....
* Doris Kearns Goodwin coming to Springfield for .....

* EXCHANGE: Memorial Squad makes sure veterans get last honors
* EXCHANGE: Teens sweeten Peoria one cone at a time
* Officers recount arrest of suspects in student’s slaying
* Evangelicals confront sex abuse problems in #MeToo era
* US Steel to invest $750M in Gary Works plant in Indiana
* Chicago Tribune: Low-income south side housing neglected
* Late lawmaker’s husband charged in attorney’s slaying
* Railcar manufacturing plant to close in Illinois
* Railcar plant to close in Illinois
* Chicago couple makes scrapbooks to preserve history, memory

* Judge in Aaron Schock case removed from all cases involving federal government
* Rauner signs bill to educate students about loans
* Doris Kearns Goodwin coming to Springfield for fundraiser
* Davis staffer arrested after altercation at Londrigan fundraiser
* Illinois Democrats say downstate counties can go their way
* Rauner appoints GOP official Shaw to retirement board
* Illinois Democrats talk of importance of fall elections
* AP fact check: No Pritzker plan to increase taxes 26 percent
* Rauner: 2018 election is 'one of most important' in Illinois history
* Rauner, Republicans go after Madigan, taxes

* DuPage pushes fight for O'Hare western terminal
* United sheds punching-bag status with biggest U.S. airline rally
* Northern Trust looks to get into crypto custody
* Redbox gears up for its first major ad campaign
* Whither the Kraft Heinz ketchup packet?

* Will other states follow Pennsylvania on church abuse?
* Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan dies at age 80
* Colorado girls’ bodies were submerged in crude oil 4 days
* No predictions from Super Bowl Sister; just a plea for ‘justice for the victims’
* Queen of Soul leaves a powerful civil rights legacy
* Privacy group tells FTC Google tracking violated 2011 order
* Birth control app highlights emerging health tech market
* Man shot multiple times, seriously wounded in Gresham
* Pot Topics: Beer maker invests billions in cannabis; Elon Musk slams weed use
* Regal TourX: Buick station wagon turns heads for all the right reasons

* Master bomb maker for Al-Qaida killed in U.S. airstrike, officials say
* A modest proposal for saving bullpens without using position players
* Kofi Annan, former head of the UN, dies at age 80
* How Charles Leno's preseason emergence at left tackle is helping shape the Bears' new offense
* Mueller says George Papadopoulos lied in Russia probe; seeks up to 6 months in jail
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 8/18/18
* Woman stabbed multiple times on Near North Side
* 7 shot, including 3-year-old, in West Englewood attack: 'What kills me is all the innocent people hit'
* In Hadiya trial, verdicts may hinge on eyewitness reliability, defendants’ own words
* 12 hours in Chicago: 24 people shot, including 3-year-old boy

* Point: Space Force, done right, will move US ahead
* Eugene Robinson: All hail the queen
* Our View: An unfortunate political encounter
* Davis staffer arrested after altercation at Londrigan fundraiser
* Illinois Democrats say downstate counties can go their way
* Rauner appoints GOP official Shaw to retirement board

* What you may have missed: Shop with a Cop, Garfield playground, Drew vigil, Harris backpacks, U.S. 51 at Macon, Day of Action
* Uptown parklet won't happen this year
* 'They're loving it'
* Council to act on solar, wind regulations
* Former aldermen to speak at next forum
* Oakwood, school district to share police officer
* Decatur and Macon County neighbors: Obituaries published today
* Area Calendar 8/18/18
* Daily Digest: Barn tour planned
* Police report

* Another sign of hard times for teachers? They make up nearly 10 percent of Airbnb hosts.
* 3 reasons you should watch the Chicago Bears tonight
* Next mission for women with military service: Run for office
* LEADING OFF: Urena, Puig appeal bans, deGrom up, Colon party
* Abreu, Delmonico 3-run HRs power White Sox over Royals 9-3

* Speaker's super PAC drops huge dollars...
* Chicagoland celebrates India's 72nd In...
* Thousands of Medicaid enrollees could lose...
* House Republicans in Tough Races Play Up E...
* Pakistan Independence Day Celebrated In Ch...
* UPDATE: Davis staffer arrested in incident...
* *** UPDATED x1 - Video *** Rodney Davis...
* Live at 9: Elvis Week, Miss Dee's Kitc...
* Ramifications of Trump revoking Obama'...
* Hultgren hosts town hall meeting in 14th C...

* Norris Perne & French Llp Has Lowered ......
* Pritzker calls for infrastructure bill in ......
* Rauner is running away from his record – a......
* Pritzker promises to help improve Decatur,......
* Pritzker Determined To Bring Blue Wave To ......

* Of the 4 female veterans in Congress, 2 ar......
* Can Tahirah Amatul-Wadud Become the Next P......
* Senate passes resolution defending press a......
* Just a small critique...
* Millhiser gets nod from Trump to be next U......

* Short-term ‘retirement’ post turns out to be a long-term one for Jesse White
* Univesity transfer students are now sought out...
* What if A.I. is coming for jobs faster than we thought?
* LMS market after Blackboard-Moodle breakup
* Building Tomorrow’s Talent: Collaboration Can Close Emerging Skills Gap
* Colleges and Universities Woo Once-Overlooked Transfer Students
* 10 Ways That Edtech Has Transformed Libraries
* Panicked universities in search of students are adding thousands of new majors
* The Week In Chicago Rock
* Our Aretha

* Bicentennial announces plans for Aug. 26th Constitution Day
* Gov. Rauner proclaims Traffic Fatality Awareness Day, urges public's help in making Illinois roads safer
* Illinois Department of Human Rights Honors "Dream Builders"
* Gov. Rauner signs public safety legislation
* Illinois Payrolls Up for Sixth Straight Month

* Hug your old Mac with these retro pillows
* The 5 features that make the Galaxy Note 9 great
* Two more paintjobs for the Huawei P20 Pro to be shown at IFA
* Facebook Fights US Government Demand to Break Messenger Encryption in Criminal Case
* Google’s ambitions for China could trigger a crisis inside the company
* Top 10 must-have tools for repairing PCs, smartphones, and other gadgets
* UK Deals of the Week: OnePlus 6 with free Survival Kit bundle, Nokia 7 Plus for £299

* White Sox Minor League Update: August 17, 2018