Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Pritzker airs ad attacking Biss on pensions
Pritzker airs ad attacking Biss on pensions

Thursday, Feb 1, 2018

* As I told subscribers last night, JB Pritzker is airing a new 15-second TV ad whacking Sen. Daniel Biss on the pension issue. The spot was running in heavy rotation this morning on Chicago broadcast. Here it is

There’s more info at a new website the Pritzker campaign created. Click here.

* From Galia Slayen at the Pritzker campaign…

Our campaign is energized by the incredible support JB is receiving as he travels across the state and from our recent polling, we are confident that JB’s message of beating Bruce Rauner and bringing real change to Illinois is resonating with voters.

Last week, Dan Biss began running ads attacking both JB and Chris Kennedy, becoming the first Democrat to attack in the Democratic primary. Simply put, Biss’ rhetoric in this campaign and record in Springfield don’t match up. Voters deserve to know the facts as we get closer to Election Day.

* From the Biss campaign…

Today, JB Pritzker released his first attack ad against Daniel Biss. The ad comes just a day after the latest We Ask America poll showed Pritzker plummeting 9 points since October—despite spending $21 million on his campaign in the same time frame— while Biss moved to second place in the poll, gaining 11 points.

“The more voters see that Daniel Biss can relate to the challenges and hopes of a middle class family, the more our poll numbers surge. The more they learn about JB Pritzker’s billionaire tax scams, the more his plummet,” said Biss campaign manager Abby Witt.

“So, it’s not surprising that JB, scared of a middle class candidate, is pulling a page out of the billionaire playbook with an attack ad that distracts from his own history. As a legislator, Daniel has passed laws to support middle-class and working families, and he’s been honest about his record on pensions. Here’s what JB Pritzker is not telling you: he lobbied for the exact same bill he’s attacking Daniel for, even cutting a check for tens of thousands to fund a PAC created just to pass the bill. He’s trying to hide that—just as he’s done with his tax returns and offshore accounts.

“But no matter how much money he throws on TV, what JB Pritzker can’t hide from is that the choice in this election is between another billionaire and middle class progressive that will make billionaires pay their fair share.”

Pritzker did indeed help fund that PAC, and Sen. Biss received two contributions from it.

* Also, if you actually watch this video, Pritzker didn’t make any “pledge” to stay positive. He said he had run a positive campaign and urged all the candidates to talk about issues and not attack each other. But, whatevs…

* Transcript…

Well let me begin by saying to all of you that I have run a positive- I think many of you have seen the ads that I have run, or have heard me speak. I have not spoken ill of my opponents. They have attacked me on occasion and I’ve had to defend myself, but I must say that I think that we should be talking about the issues that are important to the people of Illinois, not attacking each other as Democrats. We should be pulling together to beat Bruce Rauner.

1. - Maximus - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:01 am:

2. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:02 am:

Pretty obvious that not even Pritzker believes the poll he realeased this morning. He’s officially worried about Biss now

3. - SweetLou86 - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:03 am:

There’s only one reason you punch down… cause you’re worried. And this particular punch opens himself up to a big counterpunch with the PAC contribution. A big part of Pritzkers argument is he’s spent his money advocating for progressive causes and this is a pretty big hole in that argument

4. - Stand Tall - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:11 am:

“We will see plenty more attack ads like this. Biss seems far more willing to try and do something to fix problems (like pension debt) where Pritzker seems like the candidate who will keep everything as-is without any real acknowledgment of any problems.” Substitute Rauner for Bliss and Madigan for Pritzker in this statement and replace candidate with incumbent and you have another true statement as well.

5. - Almost the Weekend - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:11 am:

Am I the only one who thinks pension reform plays well in Suburban Cook and the Collar counties? There are democrats out there (private sector unions just to name one) who support pension reform.

6. - A guy - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:13 am:

It’s probably ok, but these “typing” sound effect adds are irritating. Especially the volume of this one. An ad that distracts, a :15 one at that, could be a lot better.

7. - Pundent - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:14 am:

= Biss seems far more willing to try and do something to fix problems (like pension debt)=

I think that “something” you’re referring to was recently identified as obsessive hysteria by Biss.

8. - Pundent - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:19 am:

=Am I the only one who thinks pension reform plays well in Suburban Cook and the Collar counties?=

“Pension reform” is an oxymoron. As many have pointed out here the only real reform at this point is acknowledging the funding problem associated with our pension debt. In fact I would not vote for any candidate of either party who continued to advance the notion that pensions could somehow be reformed.

9. - Actual Red - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:19 am:

Almost the Weekend-
    I think you might be right. People sometimes act like Biss was some kind of pension reform lone wolf. He certainly played a big role, but the GA voted for the bill. I think it’s rightly very unpopular with public sector union folks, but I am not sure how big of a hit it is for others. We’ll see.

10. - UptownFunk - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:23 am:

Who does this even win JB or take from Biss? The nurses union (and hardline progressives) already endorse Biss so are satisfied with the pension answers he gave, and the other unions are already lined up behind JB. The undecideds and downstaters have never been that crazy about state unions anyway which is why Rauner won in the first place. Don’t really get the strategy behind this ad.

11. - DuPage Bard - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:24 am:

Could have been better.
    Biss wants to tax billionaires but that’s only because the Supreme Court said he couldn’t steal the retirement of hundreds of thousands of middle class families. Now he wants you to forget.

12. - Honesty - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:25 am:

Biss punched first. What else did he expect? When you attack your opponents, that’s an open invitation to get attacked back. Period. His campaign made a choice, now they have to deal with the consequence of it.

13. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:25 am:

Is the Biss “middle-class” claim going to hold up to scrutiny?

I know he doesn’t have Pritzker money (only a handful on the planet do), and his taxes show a relatively modest income. But is the Harvard/MIT grad really living paycheck-to-paycheck, raising a family in Evanston?

14. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:25 am:

===The nurses union===

One has, but the INA hasn’t yet endorsed anyone.

15. - Seats - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:27 am:

UptownFunk - As the last election showed not every voter votes for their unions endorsed candidate. This ad seems to be aimed at union members that prefer to make their own voting decision.

16. - Honeybear - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:33 am:

Labor knows that Biss was the main author of SB1.
    We won’t forget or forgive.
    Same goes for Madigan
    But just like with Madigan
    We could learn to work with Biss
    But because of SB1
    Biss is not our preference.
    AFSCME Council 31 voted to
    Not endorse any gubernatorial candidate
    In order to send the message
    Afscme’s will stand behind whomever wins
    The primary
    To defeat Bruce Rauner

My personal hope is that Pritzker prevails.

17. - UptownFunk - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:34 am:

True. Not all nurses have endorsed and people don’t always vote with their union, but as a union man myself I might just be cynical in my belief that most of the voting public doesn’t care that much about unions or their benefits.

18. - JS Mill - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:40 am:

=Biss seems far more willing to try and do something to fix problems (like pension debt) =

Biss didn’t address pension debt. His “solution” didn’t reduce current debt one penny. The effect could have been to lower pension payments and possibly slow the growth of debt but that would have been dependent on the ILGA making the pension payments. Past history would tell you the ILGA will not reliably fund any plan.

Good ad by the Pritzker crew. Accurate, to the point, attacks Biss’ credibility as a progressive.

19. - Generic Drone - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:40 am:

I’m with hineybear. If everyone is sooo worried about the pension debt, reamoritize the debt payments and start paying the dang thing down already. We have wasted years trying to steal from pensioners. Get it paid down now.

20. - Boone's is Back - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:43 am:

That spot will hurt him with union voters. No doubt this is an effective punch.

21. - Anon Nice - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:46 am:

Pritzker ad is good. Lots of soft support for Biss because people vaguely think of him as a Bernie guy….maybe?….but not a billionaire. A progressive. Then they see him not acting like one. Pretty simple.

22. - Demoralized - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:48 am:

==In order to send the message==

How did the “message sending” work out last time for AFSCME?

23. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:51 am:

There is no reform to be had. THis issue has gone to our Supreme Court and they ruled that a contract with employees must be honored (who would ever think you had to do that? S)

The debt must be paid

Now, the reform, if you will, has already taken place. It’s called Tier 2.

There is nothing more to be said. However, it’s election time and this stirs folks up. So they’re pushing buttons on an issue that is dead.

24. - Reaganing - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:54 am:

This is all they have? Terrible ad, the issue is too wonky, I don’t want an ad that makes me to more research. Probably why it’s so short, they know it’s a wonky issue that would be boring in a 30 sec spot. I don’t see how this sticks in people’s minds. Maybe this is something primary voters care about. I would give it a C. Feel like I’m being generous.

25. - theq - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:55 am:

“How did the “message sending” work out last time for AFSCME?”
    Must remember Quinn did a lot to hurt union employees by closing facilities. Many Rauner votes were because he wasn’t Quinn. I know when he promised not to close Murray Center after Quinn had started the process he gained about 3 counties worth of voters

26. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 9:56 am:

Pritzker is right

I will vote against Biss

I was for Kennedy big time but he is slipping and I do not want Biss to get it

I will vote for Pritzker

27. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:00 am:

Biss is clearly the winner of the not-JB primary. Not sure if there is enough time for him to consolidate all JB-skeptics before the Dem primary even if Kennedy quit and endorsed him though.

This is a fair hit for JB to make just like Biss making zingers on Pritzker for Blago ties.

Still an undecided Dem voter. (Other than Kennedy is not my choice)

28. - ILDemVoter - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:04 am:

- Almost the Weekend -
    I think you are spot on; the pension debt is a HUGE issue. I don’t understand why everyone is ignoring that. Those folks who work outside of the public sector recognize it fully and are tired of it. As a *shocker*, many of us are Dem voters & millennials. This “issue” doesn’t move the needle for me. Grade: C (for effort)

29. - Retired Educator - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:05 am:

Bliss threw all of labor, and every retiree under the train. Now he asks us to forgive and forget. Not going to happen. He is now, and has always been a player to the crowd. He couldn’t get my vote under any circumstances.

30. - UptownFunk - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:12 am:

The last thing I’ll add is that the only reason I know about this history in the first place is because Daniel Biss himself told me, admitted he learned from the mistake, and shared his ideas about how to move forward. I don’t agree with everything he’s ever done and I’m sure there are things I’d disagree with him on as governor but he listens to people, is honest about his mistakes, and will change his mind if he learns something new. So many problems in our government happen because voters don’t let electeds be wrong, so politicians keep doubling down on unbalanced budgets and underfunded pensions while pointing fingers at the other side. This is Illinois, we need a governor willing to say “ope” from time to time.

31. - Jocko - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:14 am:

That’ll leave a mark…as it should. “Pension Reform” implies there are abuses or loopholes to be addressed rather than an unwillingness to pay.

32. - Juice - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:16 am:

Honeybear, honest question.

It was recently announced that AFSCME endorsed Kwame in the primary for AG. It is also pretty clear that a lot of members hold a grudge against Biss for his support of that bill.

But Kwame was the sponsor sponsor of SB1, Biss was only a co-sponsor, just wondering on why the different feelings towards the two.

33. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:18 am:

– the pension debt is a HUGE issue. I don’t understand why everyone is ignoring that.–

Yeah, no one’s talked about that ever the last 30 years.

Word of advice: when you think you’re on to something that “no one is talking about,” you’re usually wrong.

34. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:26 am:

Short, sweet and effective. J.B. must have been worried about the poll numbers.

One of the unintended consequences about the Biss law is that it created a rush of early retirements that damaged various institutions.

35. - Frankly - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:29 am:

The only way to avoid having a mistake on your voting record is to have no voting record. Biss put himself on the line by going into public service and actually trying to solve legislative problems. He’s said repeatedly that he learned from this mistake.

Pritzker and Kennedy may have no voting mistakes, but they have no experience. I know I’d prefer someone who got the experience and learned from his mistakes than someone who wants to fly a commercial jet full of passengers when he’s never been in a cockpit before.

36. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:30 am:

Juice, Honeybear can speak for the union, but from an outsider’s perspective, Biss (and Nekritz) were (over) zealous advocates for SB1, by Biss’ own later admission. I don’t think we saw that out of Kwame.

To the Post, this is a lot to take in in 15. I’m not sure it does the job.

37. - Not a Billionaire - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:32 am:

It just turned me from an unenthused Pritzger vote to an I will be rushing to early vote for him.

38. - Arsenal - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:37 am:

==He’s said repeatedly that he learned from this mistake.==

Did he, though? Oh, sure, he probably won’t go after pensions again. But I see some of the same miscalculations he made on SB1- desire to do something big and flashy without really thinking through the consequences- echoed in the CRR debacle.

39. - Lester Holt’s Mustache - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:44 am:

==There’s only one reason you punch down… cause you’re worried.==

Not entirely true. Could be because he has more money than he knows what to do with, and his ad people are telling him “you should run an ad against Biss, he took a shot at you in his most recent commercial”. At least that’s what I’d say if I was getting paid to make commercials for a candidate with money to burn.

40. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:49 am:

- UptownFunk - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:12 am:

Ok Biss enough

You will not get my vote

You voted for an unconstitutional law knowing full well that it was unconstitutional. You should be in Jail and not the Governor’s office

I do not believe your lies. You are a dishonest opportunist and don’t deserve to be Dog Catcher.

41. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:49 am:

===this is a lot to take in in 15. I’m not sure it does the job.===

Agreed, but I think this is just a taste. This ad is a reminder that Biss owns his voting record, especially the portions that contradict his newly created persona as Defender of the Middle Class. You can’t be chief sponsor of the biggest pension theft bill in history and protector of the down-trodden middle class.

And yes, Biss has said publicly that he regrets his sponsorship of that horrible, unconstitutional bill. Now that J.B. reminded everyone, I’m sure Biss regrets it more than ever.

15 seconds is a start. I think they could easily do a longer spot to really establish the ceiling for “surging” Team Biss. Time will tell if that’s necessary.

42. - Arsenal - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:52 am:

==Pretty obvious that not even Pritzker believes the poll he realeased this morning.==

Not necessarily. You could easily believe you have a large lead, but see that Biss still has the potential for a late surge. That seems to be the most rational thing to believe, in fact.

Now, is JB worried about Biss? I hope so. There’s two kinds of candidates in politics, the paranoid and the defeated.

43. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:54 am:

Biss is appearing like the classic politician.
    He was aggressive about attacking pensions. Now, since that didn’t work out, he’s back pedaling on his stance.

What will he change mid course next? Classic. How do you vote for someone who is all over the page?

44. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:55 am:

Frankly - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:29 am:

It was not a mistake

He did it intentionally

He deserves no quarters

45. - NoGifts - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:59 am:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ILNGSP Every time someone says we have to reduce pensions, I think of this. Illinois annual gross domestic product is $792B. The estimated resources for Illinois government in 2017 was $32B (https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/budget/documents/budget%20book/fy2018%20budget%20book/fy2018operatingbudgetbook.pdf) or 4% of our state GDP. I don’t know how we get from those numbers to paying our bills and meeting our obligations, but it seems to me there must be a way.

46. - NoGifts - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:01 am:

Every time someone says we have to reduce pensions, I think of this. Illinois annual gross domestic product is $792B. The estimated resources for Illinois government in 2017 was $32B or 4% of our state GDP. I don’t know how we get from those two numbers to paying our bills and meeting our obligations, but it seems to me there must be a way.

47. - Anon - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:07 am:

Nice plug for Capitol Fax in the opening shot of the ad :)

48. - UptownFunk - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:08 am:

- Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 10:55 am and presumably also @ 10:49 am:

This is a discussion board. Discuss. Rich does a great job of creating a space for people to debate ideas without getting crazy. Please make an argument and explain some of the reasoning you are using to come to these conclusions. I don’t even know who you support or why except for that you clearly don’t like Biss. No one has ever changed their opinion because “Anonymous” made trollish blanket statements on the internet. I am waiting and willing to be convinced but not without a valid argument (some punctuation might help too).

49. - Illinois Resident - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:16 am:

The Biss rhetoric that Pritzker will not fight for the middle class just because he is a billionaire does not match with Pritzker’s agenda. Pritzker wants a progressive income tax, medicare for all, cannabis legalization. I want those things to and I believe Pritzker has the best chance to be Rauner.

50. - Illinois Resident - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:17 am:

“beat Rauner”

51. - Honeybear - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:29 am:

Juice- the delegates to the People Endorsing/Legislative conference debated and discussed Kwame Raoul actually more than our vote to not endorse in the gubernatorial race.
    We did not forget SB1 or that Raoul has only a 70% record of voting for our interests. As our stance with Madigan, our interests are aligned at this time. But the body came to the consensus that endorsing Raoul made our choice clear in respect to Quinn and Drury. The mere mention of those two got boos and hisses. It’s about choices. It was not made lightly. Because of Quinn and Drury the body voted to endorse Raoul mixed with a healthy dose of side eye.
    Oh and Arthur Anderson I do not speak for the union. God knows they would correct that misperception. I frequently get a talking too about keeping my big yap shut.
    Anyhoo we did address the SB1 issue.

52. - Juice - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:38 am:

Honeybear, I greatly appreciate the honest response.

53. - Roadiepig - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:42 am:

Reading some of the comments above from people who say they will never vote for Bliss due to his attempt to (illegally) cut pension and I want to put my view (as a retired state employee) on it. Last time around, I voted against Quinn in the primary, and left my ballot blank for the governor’s race. There hasn’t been many days since that I haven’t regretted doing so. Bliss will not get my vote in the primary- not sure who will, but it won’t be him. If he does wins the primary, I will work very hard, walking precincts, donating what I can afford, and other things that will insure I did every thing possible to make sure Bliss WINS and Rauner has more time to ride his Harley on his own time. I feel partly responsible for the wreckage that our Vulture Capitalist in Chief has done to our universities, social service providers, and all the others that he has harmed in his mid-life crisis hobby-job, and I will do everything in my abilities (politically, of course) to make sure he doesn’t get four more years to harm the citizens of this state. Hopefully there aren’t that many people this time around who will make the same stupid mistake of cutting off their noses to spite their faces like I did last time around…

54. - Roman - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:43 am:

For the record, Kwame Raoul was the chief senate sponsor of SB 1, not Biss (he was a “co”.) JB’s chief political patron, Speaker Madigan, was the chief sponsor in the House. A majority of House Dems voted for it and a Democratic governor signed it.

Just sayin’, lots of dirty hands beside Biss on the Dem side of the aisle for the “pension theft” crowd to go after (including JB).

55. - titan - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:09 pm:

Simple answer to that - the great majority of the problem is past underfunding, and the only legal way to deal with that is to pay (akin to not defaulting on bond debt). The legal route is too politically unpalatable to tout.

The other options are pure pandering level pie-in-the-sky baloney. Given those 2 choices, a savvy politician usually ignores the issue.

56. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:19 pm:

It’s an important reminder to Labor…

That’s all it is… it’s not the “punching down” (sigh), but making clear a position Pritzker wants known.

You can’t take on Rauner unless you beat the others in March.

Pritzker’s Crew is finally, finalily, going full “Skyhook”…

Stay here. Push. Finish… use the resources.

Waiting time should be over.

57. - anon2 - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:23 pm:

There are lots of government workers and government retirees voting in the Democratic primary. My hunch is they won’t take kindly to the author of the obviously unconstitutional bill to take away part of what they had earned.

58. - Angel's Sword - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:26 pm:

This is all they need to hit him on. It’s the reason I can’t vote for Biss, and it’s by far the biggest reason Biss won’t win. It’s hard enough to run as a progressive outsider in Illinois without being hated by unions and public employees.

Biss can’t win with this around his neck, nor should he. I look forward to doing my part in stopping him by voting for Pritzker.

59. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:28 pm:

Short and to the point.

I think Biss “started this” by having a Pritzker TV commercial on in his (Biss’) ad, at the very beginning of the ad.

60. - Angel's Sword - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:31 pm:

And I don’t think Pritzker is that worried yet. They could have hit Biss on this a lot harder. Put a state employee who earned barely above minimum wage for decades crying on camera about losing their pension. That’s what a real hard hit is.

I think they just want to head him off, to make sure he doesn’t gain too much while Pritzker is going through this rough patch where he has to eat the Blagojevich hit from Rauner. And I think it’ll work. Pritzker will probably recover some and this will make sure Biss stays low in the meantime.

61. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:33 pm:

- UptownFunk - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 11:08 am:

Wow Biss the troll I got to you. You know why I will not vote for you don’t act so surprised

62. - Demoralized - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:46 pm:

==the pension debt is a HUGE issue. I don’t understand why everyone is ignoring that==

Who is ignoring it? That’s one of the most clueless statements to ever be made.

63. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:52 pm:

The pension debt IS a huge issue.

Other than unconstitutionally taking benefits away from those who contributed faithfully to their retirement income (vs the state, who did not), we are absent any creative ideas on how to honor the contract.

Yes, something needs to be done but taking benefits away or diminishing them is not an option. Ideas on how to begin paying the debt would be appreciated instead of wringing hands and whining.

64. - Fair play - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 12:55 pm:

Biss attacked JB now JB attacks Biss. By By Biss.

65. - Telly - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 1:03 pm:

“It’s the reason I can’t vote for Biss.”

Then I don’t think you can vote for anyone. J.B. backed it, so did Kennedy when he was at the UofI. Rauner and Ives have backed plans that go further.

66. - SaulGoodman - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 1:07 pm:

**Bliss threw all of labor, and every retiree under the train.**

I mean… so did Pritzker. He funded the campaign behind it and lobbied legislators.

At least Biss has owned up to it and apologized.

67. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 1:08 pm:

Telly

Biss went further. He can not be trusted. He was pushing the Pension theft unconstitutional law all the way

He will not receive my vote. Also, my wife, children, parents, siblings, and friends will not vote for him.

Also, you are wrong or lying, Kennedy did not support the Pension theft.

68. - Honeybear - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 1:40 pm:

OW- is Pritzker laying down a marker? I’ve been very interested in understanding and utilizing that phrase. Just like with cupcake. It’s good learning

69. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 2:00 pm:

===and lobbied legislators===

You got a link for that?

70. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 2:03 pm:

===…Pritzker laying down a marker?===

In the spirit of how a marker is used, yes.

If a campaign can avoid full on rollouts or full responses to attacks, any sense of chasing… or in thus case a full on rollout, you set markers.

Markers allow a “revisiting”. It allows a sense of control when when facing ongoing attacks, and here it allows Pritzker to build upon a traditional message, not a one time hit on an issue or a policy.

Pritzker here… when they revisit this issue, it won’t be a one time “hit”, a flame out use of a quite useful issue.

You intro it, get it out there, :15 seconds, see if Biss bites… build on it to finally make it something that’s “been out there for a while” but now gets fresh eyes with a traditional negative prong.

With the Blago ads, they shoulda been referring back to a marker.

“We have answered this a while back. There’s no reason to revisit it fir us, but if you look back at what we said… “

It gives an impression that you’re not chasing, but now allowing a deeper examination of what shoulda been said.

Right now, there was an ad that responded, and another ad that bungled the “back porch deal” to deflect.

It gives the chasing impression. That’s not the best way.

Rauner was excellent at this in 2014, and never got into the weeds. Rauner called it baloney, Rauner dismissed things as slander, and those markers then were propped up with negative ad buys swamping everyone else. They answered the negative, couldn’t say they didn’t, but went hard to change the messaging.

The tapes were always going to be an issue, once they came out, but the marker was more deferred or refracted light, which is why it couldn’t be “asked and answered” and they waited far too long to go after Rauner like Rauner went after Quinn.

That was their choice and their strategy. They didn’t ask me, lol

Pritzker’s Crew will realize, or maybe realized now… the silly “we’re not showing our polling strength or swamping everyone and everyone’s messaging” is starting to make them “appear” too passive.

This marker will be revisited, Rauner will face a greater scrutiny, and the passive leading position they wanted will be abandoned.

Skyhook.

71. - SweetLou86 - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 2:19 pm:

That the Prtizker backers here don’t see the hypocrisy of attacking Biss for the pension bill while ignoring the guy who cut checks to a PAC rewarding legislators for voting for it…

72. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 2:47 pm:

I think JB should do a commercial where he imitates fats Domino I’m walking to New Orleans. He should lip-synch and dance while he’s walking. A little humor goes along way.

73. - Arsenal - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 2:53 pm:

Seeing the Biss folks complain that JB is going negative on their boy kinda gives the game away. Everyone wants special pleading for their candidate…

74. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 3:15 pm:

SweetLou86 - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 2:19 pm:

You miss the point

Biss is in the senate

Biss went against his oath to the Constitution

Biss lied about being sorry and is arrogant about the facts

Biss would not pretend to be sorry if he did not need the votes and if his unconstitutional pension theft had worked

He doesn’t deserve any forgiveness for something that he clearly pushed so hard

Pritzker did not break any oath and where is the proof that he pushed for SB1. Even so, Biss is the worst and between two wrongs Biss violated his oath and is a hypocrite who is NOT for the middle class and/or working people

Biss will not receive the 200 plus votes of my family, friends, and neighbors

75. - PretzelFan - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 3:33 pm:

While it was evident that Mr. Pritzker would bring up the pension issue vs. Daniel Biss, he fails to remind the voters that it was he and the Hyatt Hotels that tried to bust the Unite Here Local 1 union at the Hyatt. A case which he and his business lost in the 7th US Circuit Court of Appeals. Senator Biss owned up to the ill-begotten bill for Pension Reform that was written early in his tenure as a State Representative. He has learned from it. Pritzker can run all the “common folk” ads he can afford, which is a lot, but he’ll never be in touch with the majority of the citizens of Illinois or escape his ties to Rod Blagojevich. Is another inexperienced member of the Billionaire Party really what’s best for our State?

76. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 3:35 pm:

Honeybear, thanks for the information and clarification. I always enjoy your comments.

Question for someone who might know-did Pritzker contribute to a PAC or to Ty’s operation?

77. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 3:46 pm:

PretzelFan - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 3:33 pm:

He is not sorry

Defense of Biss comes across as insincere and dishonest

78. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 3:48 pm:

All of these defenses of a dishonorable Biss makes me want Pritzker to win even more

79. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 3:52 pm:

Biss should be honest once in his life and admit that he wanted and still wants SB1

He did not change. He was pushing pension theft long after SB1 passed and even after it was struck down he was trying to find another pension theft trick

He is not trustworthy

80. - Point of Pain - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 3:58 pm:

We get to look forward to 10 months of attacking ads, everyone talking about how they will change Illinois, etc. I’m already blocking calls three times a day now. I wish they’d at least be honest and tell me that when they take the money out of my paycheck, their doing it to cover bills that will always carry interest. But we’ll try to fix an occasional pothole for you in the road, and make sure your city services are met. At least I could accept that better when I watch all of them spend $300 million to campaign…

81. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 4:12 pm:

In one gathering, when the subject of endorsing in the gubernatorial race came up, it was beginning to get contentious. It’s let hoi polloi aka the voters decide, then back the primary winner.

Pritzker is my first choice at this point. I like his campaign and positions. His money can easily compete with Rauner. I also defer to those who are angry at Biss over SB 1, even though I’m glad it had a chance to pass, be struck down by the ILSC and hopefully not happen again—get this illegal reform out of the way for good, so to speak.

Between Biss and Rauner, it’s beyond a no-brainer who I’d support. I like Biss’ positions on the progressive income tax and marijuana legalization.

82. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 5:43 pm:

anyone else notice ‘Capital Fax’ as one of the bookmarks at the beginning shot?

83. - ShawneeCoal - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 6:36 pm:

There’s a difference between attacking and telling the truth…this commercial is spot on and the record is there to prove it. Biss talks a big game of being pro-union and for the working man but his actions don’t paint the same picture. Biss claims to be a mathematician but his numbers on pensions just don’t add up. Time to take a seat Mr. Biss.

84. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 1, 18 @ 8:28 pm:

Buss gets no pass from public employees for trying to renege on a contract. Most folks don’t think highly of unethical behavior.THere could never be forgiveness

* Illinois rated second most likely governor's office to flip parties
* It's just a bill
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - A couple of new mailers and a fundraising list
* Rauner says "left-leaning" Chicago press is "plenty biased"
* Keep your trackers out of taverns
* "If any region should feel alienated from state government, it's the suburbanites"
* Democratic legislator files resolution condemning "scofflaw counties"
* Rauner ad gets it wrong, but Pritzker needs to end his silence
* Just a small critique
* Are the Democrats unified?
* Buttigieg delivered the best zinger of the day
* White vows to finish out sixth term
* Rauner to return to Quincy Veterans Home this weekend
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* Gov. Rauner signs public safety legislation..
* Gov. Rauner signs law to make access to physica.....
* Rauner signs bill shedding light on school dist.....
* Question of the day..
* FOID card holders get 60-day grace period for s.....
* Rauner says “left-leaning” Chicago press is “pl.....
* Rauner signs bill allowing consolidation of mos.....
* Gov. Rauner proclaims traffic fatality awarenes.....
* Illinois Bicentennial announces plans for Aug. .....
* Rauner ad gets it wrong, but Pritzker needs to .....

* Officers recount arrest of suspects in student’s slaying
* Chicago Tribune: Low-income south side housing neglected
* Late lawmaker’s husband charged in attorney’s slaying
* Railcar manufacturing plant to close in Illinois
* Evangelicals confront sex abuse problems in #MeToo era
* Railcar plant to close in Illinois
* Chicago couple makes scrapbooks to preserve history, memory
* Chicago suburb settling lawsuit over officer pinning teen
* Teens stabbed and burned 18-year-old to death, then ran over his body, Illinois police say
* Illinois oil refinery to upgrade in pollution settlement

* Doris Kearns Goodwin coming to Springfield for fundraiser
* Davis staffer arrested after altercation at Londrigan fundraiser
* Illinois Democrats say downstate counties can go their way
* Rauner appoints GOP official Shaw to retirement board
* Illinois Democrats talk of importance of fall elections
* AP fact check: No Pritzker plan to increase taxes 26 percent
* Rauner: 2018 election is 'one of most important' in Illinois history
* Rauner, Republicans go after Madigan, taxes
* Joe Biden ill, cancels trip to Springfield

* DuPage pushes fight for O'Hare western terminal
* United sheds punching-bag status with biggest U.S. airline rally
* Northern Trust looks to get into crypto custody
* Redbox gears up for its first major ad campaign
* Whither the Kraft Heinz ketchup packet?

* Evangelicals confront sex abuse problems in #MeToo era
* 2 ACL tears & 3 vanilla donuts: Illini WR Dudek talks recovery, ’18 expectations
* Madigan court foe Gonzales backs Pritzker, says speaker and Rauner must go
* Cupich slams ‘appallingly familiar’ abuse revelations in grand jury report
* Miss America: Leadership bullied, manipulated, silenced me
* Thousands rescued from rooftops as Indian floods kill 324
* Next mission for women with military service: Run for office
* 41-year-old woman last seen 11 days ago in Englewood
* Defense doesn’t want Jason Van Dyke murder trial to open with dashcam video
* Misleading campaign mailers go out as long as they poll well

* Will County judge delays sentencing amid questions about confessed serial rapist's identity
* Boy killed, another wounded by gunfire at teen basketball tournament: 'My baby's gone'
* Beer deliverymen talk man out of jumping off bridge by offering him a 12-pack of Coors Light
* Cubs fan cries foul over team's World Series ivy leaf commemorative, files copyright lawsuit
* Former Cedar Lake councilman charged with murder of Hobart attorney outside his home: 'I went over the deep end'
* New York governor clarifies his 'inartful' remark: 'Of course America is great'
* Manafort jury sent home for the weekend; judge says he fears for their safety
* MMA fighter accused of driving under influence of drugs in crash that killed father of 4
* Man fatally wounded in shooting in Englewood neighborhood

* Davis staffer arrested after altercation at Londrigan fundraiser
* Illinois Democrats say downstate counties can go their way
* Rauner appoints GOP official Shaw to retirement board
* Illinois Democrats talk of importance of fall elections
* AP fact check: No Pritzker plan to increase taxes 26 percent

* UI Football Camp 2018: Day 13
* Tax reform law wide ranging
* Decatur Korean War veteran receives Combat Medic badge during surprise ceremony
* Week-long Junior League campaign to address food insecurity begins Saturday
* Five at 5: Police say threats over drug debts led to school lockdown and 4 other stories to see
* Police search for Collinsville man suspected of stealing a van at knifepoint
* Gun legislation question will not be on Williamson County ballot
* Dutch man gets 17 years for scheme that defrauded Carbondale resident of $150K
* Christopher man convicted of murdering his wife in 2016 will be sentenced next month
* Carbondale man arrested in Friday morning shooting

* Prosecutor: Speeding driver in fatal Schaumburg crash spent day 'smoking weed'
* FOX Sports MLS broadcast will feature first all-female crew
* 'Double Dare Live' coming to Rosemont Theatre in November
* Pacers planning to hit road for all 4 preseason games
* ECC's backpack fair benefits about 2,000 students this year

* UPDATE: Davis staffer arrested in Springfi...
* Illinois congressman's staffer arreste...
* Pelosi sees defections from an unusual qua...
* Latino politicians could revolutionize Chi...
* Democrats weigh their options as Pelosi --...
* School safety issues addressed at Anna mee...
* Candidates speak to farmers
* East Boston Democrats Endorse US Rep Micha...
* Congressman Kinzinger And Opponent Sara Da...
* 8 movies that really got science wrong

* Norris Perne & French Llp Has Lowered ......
* Pritzker calls for infrastructure bill in ......
* Rauner is running away from his record – a......
* Pritzker promises to help improve Decatur,......
* Pritzker Determined To Bring Blue Wave To ......

* Durbin, Duckworth support Trump's Cent......
* Sen. Tammy Duckworth On How Her Dau......
* John Milhiser nominated to be US attorney...
* Trump administration taps Sangamon state&#......
* Trump taps Sangamon County's Milhiser ......

* The Week In Chicago Rock
* Our Aretha
* Classic Rock Concert Saturday Night At Buena Park Circle
* Hutchinson Mansion Sidewalk Tours Return On Saturday
* Back To School Events On Saturday, August 18th and 25th
* Free Walking Tours Of Uptown Entertainment District This Saturday
* Free Jazz In Clarendon Park On Saturday Night
* Kinzinger security system detects Democrat opponent worker being "sketchy"
* Latest Leftist attempt to revive the ERA won't work, Andy Schlafly says
* ThoughtPoet is on a mission to capture the beauty in black Chicago

* Bicentennial announces plans for Aug. 26th Constitution Day
* Gov. Rauner proclaims Traffic Fatality Awareness Day, urges public's help in making Illinois roads safer
* Illinois Department of Human Rights Honors "Dream Builders"
* Gov. Rauner signs public safety legislation
* Illinois Payrolls Up for Sixth Straight Month

* Samsung Brazil caught passing stock photos as Galaxy A8 camera samples
* Researchers believe Earth constantly attracts mini-moons
* Lexar’s making a glorious return to the world of flash storage
* US reportedly pressuring Facebook to break Messenger’s encryption over MS-13 investigation
* Be careful what you believe about screen time making you blind
* With added Bluetooth, the next Chromecast could potentially have a remote
* 5G is on the way, and so are many interesting new smartphones| #PNWeekly 318

* White Sox MiLB Report: Michael Kopech Continues Dominating T...
* White Sox reinstate Leury Garcia from DL
* Eloy Jimenez has White Sox fans eager for MLB debut
* Suspended catcher Welington Castillo working his way back to Whi...
* White Sox catcher Welington Castillo to begin rehab assignme...
* Hawk: I Did It My Way