Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2018

* Of all the race results last night, I think this is the one that surprised me the most. Not necessarily that he lost, but that he lost by so much

State Sen. Ira Silverstein conceded the Democratic nomination for the 8th Senate District to union lobbyist Ram Villivalam on Tuesday night, unable to retain the seat he’s held for nearly 20 years after being accused of sexual harassment.

“We ran a good campaign; it wasn’t in the cards,” Silverstein said after he and his wife, 50th Ward Ald. Debra Silverstein, thanked about two dozen supporters and relatives gathered at Great Chicago Food and Beverage Co. in the West Ridge neighborhood.

Unofficial results showed Villivalam had 52 percent of the vote to Silverstein’s 29 percent, with 92 percent of precincts reporting. Caroline McAteer-Fournier, who ran as a political outsider, had 14 percent, and David Zulkey, a lawyer campaigning as a fiscal conservative, had 5 percent.

I also had a feeling that Rep. David Reis was in trouble, but his 14-point defeat was quite something.

* The Question: What was your biggest electoral surprise last night?

1. - RWP - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:38 pm:

Maybe I am really out of touch, but Commissioner Fritchey. I had no idea he was even in trouble. What did I miss?

2. - Montrose - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:38 pm:

That Brandon Johnson pulled it off. I figured he would have a decent showing given the strength of his ground game (we had at least half a dozen people knock on our door for him but know one from Boykin’s camp). That said, I figured more folks liked that Boykin championed the repeal of the tax then they clearly did.

3. - GreatPlainser - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:39 pm:

That Rauner, Pritzker, Rauol, and Lipinski all won. Of the big ticket races…all kinda just ended as one would suspect. Lot of crackle, no pop.

4. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:39 pm:

John Fritchey’s loss surprised me. I knew he was worried and he appeared to be working pretty hard after maybe dismissing Degnan early on.

Those County Board districts are big and cumbersome. They split so many wards and most voters have no idea which district they live in. As much as anything, I think that hurt Fritchey. He does a decent job of communicating with the voters, but a lot of that effort is wasted on voters who can’t vote for him.

5. - RWP - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:43 pm:

Maybe I am really out of touch, but Commissioner Fritchey. I had no idea he was even in trouble. Can anyone fill me in?

6. - RWP - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:45 pm:

Sorry about the double post

7. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:48 pm:

===Can anyone fill me in? ===

He likes ketchup on his hot dogs and lobbies for the Lincoln Park Pirates. Among other things.

8. - DarkHorse - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:48 pm:

I’m surprised Kennedy finished 3rd.

9. - Da Big Bad Wolf - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:49 pm:

I was surprised that Rauner won by under 3%. I was expecting him to win by double digits at least. One bad weather day, a flu going around could have knocked him off the ticket at 2.76%.

10. - Paul Powell's Shoe Box - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:51 pm:

Kinda surprised that Preckwinkle was able to coast to victory.

And Burke’s loss. Not like the dems to have incumbents lose.

11. - JS Mill - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:51 pm:

Surprised at Rauner’s margin of victory. I thought he would still be in double digits. That has got to be demoralizing.

12. - L.A. - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:51 pm:

That Ives was so close. I considered pulling a Republican ballot this time just to vote for Ives, but didn’t. Thought that she would be a lot easier for the Democrat to run against in the general. Boy was I wrong. I don’t know that Rauner can be any more of a low hanging fruit than he is right now.

13. - Ravenswood Right Winger - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:52 pm:

Fritchey, that district is fragmented. I saw way more Degnen signs than his.

14. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:54 pm:

Even with Rauner and Pritzker, a bucketful of money still helps the BS go down.

15. - McGuppin - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:55 pm:

Pleasently surprised by J.B.’s margin of victory. I thought he would win by 6 or 7. He thumped Biss and Kennedy.

16. - Real - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:56 pm:

I’m surprised the general is 7 months out. It would be nice to have the general at least 3-4 months after the primary. I want Rauner defeated immediately.

17. - TopHatMonocle - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:57 pm:

Definitely Sean Casten in the 6th district. Mazeski had a lot of support and what looked like a close but fairly comfortable lead when I went to sleep. I didn’t know Casten won until I saw it posted on here.

18. - illini - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:58 pm:

In a race that was probably “under the radar” for most in the state, I would have to pick the margin of the Charlie Meier victory over the Proft/Liberty Principles backed candidate Don Moore in the 108th.

Charlie, my Rep, was one of the Republicans who bolted the Party of Rauner to get the budget passed last year. And a lot of money was spent to remove him.

19. - RWP - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 2:58 pm:

===lobbies for the Lincoln Park Pirates===

The Pirates part slipped my mind. That is enough.

20. - m - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:00 pm:

I thought Quinn would win.

21. - Real - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:03 pm:

I’m kinda but not too surprised about the low R turnout.. And yet somewhow Rauner thinks republicans will pick up 9 seats in a democratic wave year.

22. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:06 pm:

Definitely Fritchey. I saw Boykin had a real race.

23. - Old Time R - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:08 pm:

6th district cook county commissioner race. The heavy favorite with lots of money and union support was Crestwood mayor Lou Presta. Not only did he lose he got slaughtered only getting 14% in a three way. Murphy’s daughter lost barely for Commissioner in that race but won the committeemans job over Madigans guy O’Sullivan. Nobody saw O’Sullivan losing

24. - Because I Said So.... - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:08 pm:

I too was surprised that Kennedy came in 3rd. He appeared to be surging or maybe his commercials just got better.

25. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:08 pm:

Thought downstate would carry Quinn with that group of candidates.

Never thought the “over” would hold when thinking Ives at 43.5.

Raoul wining isn’t the surprise, Quinn not winning because he couldn’t hit what I thought he possibly could is the surprise.

26. - Downstate - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:08 pm:

Berrios loss. His loss is the canary in the coal mine that property taxes will continue to be the HUGE issue in the future.

27. - Angel's Sword - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:09 pm:

I was surprised Betsy Dirksen Londrigan won by over 23 points. I thought she was going to win, but by something like 5 points over Erik Jones.

Jones raised more money and aired more ads, but Londrigan seemed to have a better ground game and that was clearly much more important.

28. - Joe Bidenopolous - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:10 pm:

Fritchey, yeah catsup and the Lincoln Park Pirates (though that didn’t hit until late). But I lived through that race. Saw knockers for both, the union support for her, literally four mailers on the race every day for the last several weeks. And John told me he was worried. But I never thought he’d get blown out the way it went down.

29. - theCardinal - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:16 pm:

Fritchey upset and the Gov actually sounded contrite on TV this morning (see how long that lasts)

30. - Saluki - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:18 pm:

Quinn loss.

31. - Failed Emily's List Mom - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:19 pm:

Marie Newman loss. I thought she would have squeaked it out. I would not be surprised if she makes another go at it in a year and a half. Or will another “established” suburban challenger with a more left leaning political view come forward?

Kwame Raoul. I thought Pat Quinn would have pulled it out by a few points. Now that he lost, what will a defeated ex-governor and defeated Attorney General do in private life?

32. - Chicagonk - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:20 pm:

@RE: Fritchey vs Degnen. I didn’t even realize I lived in this district until I got a push poll call from Degnen’s campaign in January. Definitely not the best name recognition and no real support from the aldermen in his ward will make it tough to win a one-on-one primary vs an opponent with no obvious baggage.

33. - JakeCP - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:20 pm:

Definitely Boykin and Fritchey losing their respective races. I didn’t think there were that many people ready to vote for Degnen, who I had never heard of until last week. I was also under the impression that Boykin had more support in his district, too.

34. - Pundent - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:36 pm:

35. - Excessively Rabid - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:41 pm:

==Londrigan seemed to have a better ground game==

There are a lot of middle aged women who have money, energy, free time, and they’re enraged. Mrs. Rabid is rabid. I have not been a fan of Londrigan but I’m starting to warm up to her. Davis may have his hands full.

36. - Just Observing - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:41 pm:

Fritchey.

37. - Seats - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:53 pm:

38. - Pot calling kettle - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 3:56 pm:

==I would say the margins in the governor primaries. I expected Rauner’s to be wider and Pritzker’s to be narrower. ==

Same. Although I did wonder about Rauner. He has lost his shine with a lot of downstate folks; they see that his Carhartt is just an empty suit.

39. - TominChicago - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 4:00 pm:

40. - Boone's is Back - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 4:13 pm:

Fritchey. I thought the campaign rhetoric was incredibly unfair and negative to John, and still don’t understand any of Degnen’s policy positions.

That being said elections are what they are, and no opponent should ever be taken lightly.

41. - downstate commissioner - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 4:16 pm:

-Seats-
    “Pat Quinn losing from the top of the ballot to Raoul who people outside of Chicago not in a union likely haven’t heard of prior to voting.”

Don’t believe that you are from downstate. Raoul got the attention of downstate during the concealed carry discussions. While certainly not a friend of gun supporters, many were impressed by his approach to the mandate; think that he will be good in his new office.
    But I too thought Quinn would win; seems like a job that he would be effective in…

42. - Amalia - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 4:28 pm:

I would say Fritchey, but apparently, it was personal.

43. - Under Influenced.... - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 4:30 pm:

Quinn. Millions of dollars in name id, top of the ticket and it’s likely that each person voting yesterday in the Dem primary has voted for him once in the past two decades.

News flash, Quinn is unpopular.

44. - don the legend - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 4:34 pm:

Rauner almost losing. One more week and a few more coins from Uhlein and Rauner would be a lmae duck today.

45. - Angry Chicagoan - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 4:37 pm:

Another one for Fritchey here. Bit surprised regarding Boykin too. Hints of some general discontent with the County Board?

46. - Streamwood Retiree - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 4:48 pm:

Preckwinkle, not only winning but winning big. I used to be a big booster of hers, but now I don’t a single person in the Suburbs who is. I’ll be be voting (R) in Fall for County Board President, but, of course, it won’t make any difference. The Democratic nominee always wins. here comes the “soda” tax again as soon as she is re-elected. good thing Du Page and Kane stores are close by.

47. - Ted Slowik - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 5:32 pm:

3.4 percent turnout among Millennial voters (18-27) in suburban Cook County, despite ballot question on legalizing marijuana for recreational use. Really thought kids were more informed since 2016 but turns out old people still decide elections.

48. - Been There - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 5:51 pm:

====John O’Sullivan’s loss as committeeman in Worth and Terry Matthew’s loss in Bloom.===
    Charlie Hernandez from Cicero also lost.
    Johnny is a good guy buy never did anything. I Realized he was in trouble only when he actually had a race and he put up signs. Obviously signs don’t vote.

49. - TinyDancer(FKASue) - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 7:56 pm:

Fritchey.
    Degnen…..where did she even come from?

50. - Don Wiener - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 9:33 pm:

Bridget Degnen was outspent by Fritchey and his corporate supporters, but Bridget Degnen is a great retail politician and knocked on 7,000 doors. John’s social media is as fine as it goes, but she talked IN PERSON to thousands of people and we should be glad that still works. (disclosure: I worked for her)

51. - Rasselas - Wednesday, Mar 21, 18 @ 9:46 pm:

The defeat of the two ‘Congressmen in waiting’ - Fritchey and Boykin.

52. - Anon - Thursday, Mar 22, 18 @ 12:13 am:

“Degnen is a great retail politician”, please. The guy was in the hospital all last year so she had a running start to say the least. There is a back story Mrs. Carlson-Degnen…

53. - Lakeview - Thursday, Mar 22, 18 @ 6:54 am:

54. - Ron - Thursday, Mar 22, 18 @ 8:21 am:

Terrible that Fritchey lost. He was a great Dem on the county board. Now more tax and spend kleptocrats on the board

TrackBack URI

* Russians revived the Chicago Daily News before Twitter shut it down
* Harith Augustus coverage roundup
* Transitions: Baise, Denzler, Demmer, DeWitte, Mazzochi
* Caption contest!
* *** LIVE *** Campaign finance reports
* Rauner denies tacking to the right with Pence praise
* Rauner signs Firearms Restraining Order Act, 72-hour gun purchase waiting period, will veto gun shop regulation bill
* John McGovern: "An honorable man in politics"
* *** UPDATED x1 - Rauner to veto *** Raoul to Rauner: "Get us out of Crosscheck"
* Unclear on the concept
* Mitchell is "a foot in the door for the next generation"
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* Gov. Rauner, Dixon Hero Ofc. Mark Dallas Talk L.....
* Pritzker spending $207000 a day on gov race, sw.....
* Illinois GOP Gov. Rauner signs new gun control .....
* Illinois governor signs two bills to tighten gu.....
* Rauner steps back from Trump praise, but Pritzk.....
* Gov. Rauner intends to veto gun store regulatio.....
* Governor Rauner talks funding for school resour.....
* Rauner signs bill to ease physician assistant h.....
* Gov. Rauner visits Dixon police officer Mark Da.....
* Rauner signs 2 bills to tighten gun restrictions..

* Prosecutors: Russian hackers leased servers in 2 states
* University of Illinois student shot by police faces charges
* Chicago activist demands all footage from police shooting
* SIU trustees vote for ending Randy Dunn’s presidency
* 2 CVS workers lose jobs after cops called on black customer
* Illinois pastor unpaid for FBI, police tips made 2 years ago
* Illinois governor signs 2 bills to tighten gun restrictions
* The Latest: Spokesman says officers can conduct pat downs.
* Correction: CVS-Black Customer story
* Rauner signs gun order of protection, waiting period laws

* Gov. Rauner signs two gun control bills, says he'll veto another
* Rauner signs bill to ease physician assistant hiring
* Londrigan outraises Davis in 2nd quarter; Davis has more in fund
* Rauner doesn't want Illinois pulled from multistate voter registration system
* Gov. Rauner signs two gun control bills
* Londrigan outraises Davis in 3rd quarter; Davis has more in fund
* Durbin not confident Illinois election systems are secure
* Jeff Keicher to finish Bob Pritchard's term in Illinois House
* New Illinois program to offer retirement savings plan
* Illinois Governor's Mansion reopens to public

* IMA chief Greg Baise hanging it up
* Illinois pols—including GOPers—slam Trump's Helsinki performance
* Which congressmen have the financial edge?
* Ana Dutra resigns as CEO of Executives' Club of Chicago
* University chiefs take a hit from tax bill

* Chicago doesn’t have the USA’s No. 1 hot dog: report. What do they know?
* Dear Abby: When I resist a dish for my health, family offended
* Police: Armed man robbed 4 street vendors in Back of the Yards
* Oprah Winfrey gives at least $1 million to Obama Foundation
* Horoscope for July 17, 2018
* 2 felons charged in connection with Orland Park gun burglaries
* Pritzker spending $207,000 a day on gov race, swamping Rauner’s $83,000
* San Francisco to consider tax on companies to help homeless
* Netflix sees slow subscriber growth
* Cubs’ Kyle Schwarber falls to Nats’ Bryce Harper in Home Run Derby final

* 'Bizarre.' 'Shameful.' 'Disgraceful.': Republicans join Democrats in condemning Trump's remarks
* 'Very much counter to the plan': Trump defies advisers in embrace of Putin
* NTSB: Engines may have failed in helicopter crash near I-57
* Man shot and killed in his West Side apartment
* Cubs' Kyle Schwarber falls to Bryce Harper in Home Run Derby final; Javier Baez eliminated in first round
* Man and woman hit by stray bullets less than block from scene of police shooting
* Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23
* Trump hands Putin a diplomatic triumph by casting doubt on U.S. intelligence agencies
* Bashed for taking $2,750 from for-profit immigrant detention company, Chicago alderman says he's donating $5K to pro-immigrant group
* Uber under federal investigation for alleged gender pay gap, report says

» July 16, 2018 - Full Show
» CHA Seniors File Complaint Over Missing Grab Bars
» Cook County Commissioners Confounded By Hiring Of Health System Consultant
» Third Party Candidates for Governor; Student Loans & Retirement Saving; New Illinois Made Makers
» CPD Officer Shoots And Kills Man In South Shore
» Durbin Says He Hasn't Taken Position on SCOTUS Pick — Also Has Doubts About Election Security
» Look Inside The Renovated Governor's Mansion
» Angry Crowd Protests After Chicago Police Fatally Shoot Man
» Chicago Police: Man Killed By Police Appeared To Be Armed
» State Week: SCOTUS Nominee, Dan Ryan Protest, Misleading Ads

* EJ Dionne: Will the blue wave start in Jersey?
* Their View: 'Everybody needed to know what happened to Emmett Till'
* Gov. Rauner signs two gun control bills, says he'll veto another

* Michael James Jones
* Brenda Kay James
* Rosemary Sears
* Jack R. Sherwin

* Lakers, Trail Blazers to meet for Summer League title again
* Benched! Foul ball made its mark on me at 1969 All-Star Game
* Fashion firms upend design routine to focus on speed, trends
* The next senior World Cup is in France, not Qatar
* Showtime and Sacha Baron Cohen push back against Sarah Palin

* Pope County pastor unpaid for FBI, police ...
* Republicans, including Davis, raise big bu...
* Metro East Republicans in Congress raise b...
* United Front
* Second 'minibus' pulls in
* US REPRESENTATIVE JOHN SHIMKUMS (IL-15): S...
* Local politicians react to Trump, Putin su...
* Underwood outraises Hultgren in latest cam...
* 3 Illinois GOP House members, in rare move...
* Illinois lawmakers pile on Trump/Putin sum...

* Area lawmakers condemn Trump comments of R......
* Local politicians react to Trump, Putin su......
* Guest column: Senators show bias against r......
* Rep. Brad Schneider Slams Trump Press Conf......
* 2 Democratic senators, 3 House Republicans......

* North Dakota, Minnesota delegations denoun......
* ND, Minn. delegations denounce Trump's......
* Area lawmakers condemn Trump comments of R......
* Local politicians react to Trump, Putin su......
* Trump's Own Team: He 'Looked Incre......

* Will anyone “come to save the day” for WGN radio/TV takeover by Sinclair?
* CAPS Meeting For Beat 1912 Is Tuesday At Sulzer Library
* The sad state of the sandwich at Logan Square deli Rosie’s Sidekick
* SportsMondayWednesday: On The Road To The All-Star Game
* The Weekend In Chicago Rock
* Capitol Fax: Harith Augustus coverage roundup
* The Lost Children Of Chon Thanh
* The Week In Chicago Rock
* Strip Mall Preservation
* More high school grads than ever are going to college, but 1 in 5 will quit

* Gov. Rauner meets one of oldest living WWII veterans
* IDOT reopening lanes where possible for July 4 travel
* Bellock named DHFS director
* Follow-Up Samples from the Illinois River Show No Microcystins
* Illinois Department of Public Health Heat Safety Tips

* Cuba rolls out mobile internet at last
* ​WTH Amazon!?
* CSIRO: Lithium-ion battery waste to exceed 100,000 tonnes by 2036
* Nokia X5 to arrive on July 18, this time for real
* JerryRigEverything gives the Vivo Nex a cool see-through back
* Essential Phone for just $250: High definition audio, Android P beta, superb built quality
* Samsung Galaxy S10 will reportedly come in 3 sizes to trump the iPhone in 2019

* White Sox Minor League Update: July 16, 2018