* Rep. Ives…
* Anzalone Liszt Grove Research poll commissioned by AFSCME Council 31 and released in July of 2016…
Voters are favorable towards “public employee unions” (51% favorable / 29% unfavorable) and “state government workers” (57% favorable / 28% unfavorable).
* Capitol Fax/We Ask America poll conducted June 9-11, 2018. Gubernatorial head-to-heads among likely union household voters…
Republican Bruce Rauner 17%
Democrat JB Pritzker 50%
Third party or some other 24%
Undecided or don’t know 10%
* From the same poll, only this time here are the results from likely Republican voters…
Republican Bruce Rauner 59%
Democrat JB Pritzker 5%
Third party or some other 27%
Undecided or don’t know 9%
* OK, with that background out of the way, JB Pritzker held a press conference today and, among other things, he was asked these two questions…
SJ-R’s Bernie Schoenburg: Politically speaking, this is going to give many conservatives who do not like Bruce Rauner a reason to say ‘Hey, he’s OK.’ Whereas AFSCME and a lot of unions already have decided by his rhetoric ‘He’s not OK.” So, doesn’t this help him more than you politically in this election?
AP’s John O’Connor: Conservatives who went for Jeanne Ives, as Bernie says, this draws them… Your backers don’t change their minds, but a lot of conservatives out there are going to say ‘Bruce Rauner’s OK and we’re going to get behind him.’
He didn’t really answer either question (candidates almost never answer horse-race questions), but that’s not the point of this post.
* This is what I told subscribers earlier today…
Gov. Rauner is already celebrating the win, but I can’t help but wonder if this really will help him in November. I don’t think most voters will truly care either way, but a significant segment of the population will be very angry about this loss and, therefore, very motivated to vote against the man who brought the action in the first place. We’ll see.
I do agree that this Janus decision should help Rauner unify his base. But you can’t win in Illinois with only your base, especially if you’re a Republican. And, according to my poll, Pritzker also has some convincing to do with union households.
* The Question: Who is helped more politically by the Janus decision - Pritzker or Rauner? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.