* HPV vaccine too pricey for many
For medical practices, however, sales tax and federal excise tax can increase the cost to almost $140 a dose. And then there is the cost of refrigerated storage, insurance and the time it takes to administer the vaccine.
* Bill aims to drop 5% sales tax from textbook sales
* Amtrack struggling to run trains on time
* Dan Hynes: Illinois poised to lead on stem cell research
It will allow the state to strengthen its international standing in the field of medical research and claim its place as the preeminent location of stem cell research in the Midwest. And it will spur the creation of thousands of new jobs and tens of millions of dollars in private sector investment.
* 2 admit fake minority venture in $49 million County contract bid
The contract called for 30 percent minority participation in the deal. Siemens said Faustech Industries was a minority business that had a joint venture in the deal. Prosecutors say it was a sham: The companies arranged to pay Faustech a flat fee of $500,000.
* More jobs cut in latest county budget figures, up to 1,700 occupied positions
* Stroger’s office defends healthcare cuts
* Lawmakers decry $70,000 of fomer state worker as chauffeur:
Rep. Frank Mautino, D-Spring Valley, wanted to know “how many more do we have in a position making a lot of money for doing a job that may not need to be done in the first place.”
Mautino sits on the appropriations committee of the House that reviews state agencies involved in public safety. He said he will question each of the agencies to see if they have people in similar positions.
* Rezko trial put off for a year, bond restrictions stay