Slow down or risk a backlash

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010

* It’s no great insight to say that this state is pretty divided on the gun issue, with much of Cook County and many of the suburbs mostly objecting to guns on the streets and the rest of the state mostly supporting gun rights.

Because of this, there is a real political danger for gun rights advocates if they move too fast after yesterday’s Supreme Court ruling. I’m particularly talking about early indications that there will be an attempt to push the concealed carry issue here during the campaign. Whatever you think of the issue, it’ll be a while before that concept is accepted in and around the city, or even in some areas that generally support gun rights. From a state Sen. John O. Jones press release issued yesterday

I am pleased the court has struck down the Chicago gun ban. I look forward to working with lawmakers to move concealed-carry bills through the Illinois General Assembly.

Jones is a Republican from southern Illinois, so concealed carry is a popular thing down there. State Sen. Bill Brady also reiterated his support for concealed carry yesterday

“I believe in the Second Amendment, and I believe the court ruling today is a step in the right direction to afford Illinois citizens including (those in) Chicago their rights,” Brady said.

Brady also reiterated that he would support an Illinois law to allow regular citizens to carry concealed guns, but the right wouldn’t be automatic to all.

“I have said that I support laws which fully embrace Second Amendment rights,” Brady said. “In the case of concealed carry, many states have proven that with the right training, background checks and implementation, it works well.”

Asked about his backing for concealed carry in Illinois, Brady said, “with the right safeguards, absolutely.”

Gov. Quinn wasn’t so thrilled, however. While saying he “supports” the 2nd Amendment, Quinn doesn’t want to move on concealed carry yet

Asked if he thinks it opens to the door to concealed carry being allowed in Illinois, Quinn said, “I don’t think so. I don’t think that’s embedded in the constitutional right.”

* This is what I’m talking about when I warn against “over reach”

Locally, McHenry County Sportsmen’s Association member Lee Lexow heralded the decision and cast his eyes toward the November election. […]

With Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Brady supporting concealed carry and incumbent Democrat Pat Quinn opposing it, Lexow said the Illinois governor’s race could provide a referendum of sorts on the concealed carry issue.

“I think it’s going to boil down to how the elections fall out,” Lexow said.

Making this election a “referendum on concealed carry” will not work well for proponents. It’s just too much change, too fast.

State Rep. Bill Mitchell, R-Forsyth, said the high court decision could alter the number of votes needed in the House and Senate need to approve a concealed carry proposal.

Currently, parliamentary rules mean a concealed carry proposal needs 71 votes to be sent to the governor. Mitchell said the ruling could result in a simple majority of lawmakers — 60 in the House — being needed for passage.

“I think that’s achievable,” said Mitchell, who is sponsoring a concealed weapons measure in the House.

Scaring the Democrats’ base in the Chicago region is a really bad idea when the Republicans have a clear enthusiasm and historical advantage right now.

* Related…

* Schock comments on Supreme Court Decision McDonald v. City of Chicago

* Candidates weigh in on Court ruling on Chicago gun ban

* Court took cheap shot at city’s crime rate, Chicago officials contend

* Plaintiff: Ruling will make dangerous city blocks safer

* Weapon registration, firearms training possible in new law

* Sun-Times: A chance for gun law that does some good

* Southtown Star: Time for city to enact rational gun laws

* Roeper: Good riddance to gun ban that wasn’t working

* Huntley: A supreme victory for the law-abiding

* Journal-Star: High court of little help with guns and public safety

* Treatment programs cut, while heroin abuse tops nation

1. - Niles Township - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 11:32 am:

Suburban women will be scared off from Brady if this becomes a big issue. If Quinn wins suburban women big time, Brady loses.

2. - Anon - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 11:39 am:

Yes, yes, Rich. People who support the right to bear arms must slow down. Slow down, or pay the political price. There is no need for Dick Daley to slow down in his attempt to circumvent the Supreme Court ruling.

After all, it was a stupid ruling.

Only conservatives need to compromise.

3. - Vole - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 11:46 am:

Just a convenient diversion for politicians from the main issue that they refuse to tackle — Illinois’ supreme problem, the debt and deficits.

We should make the politicians “carry” the budget issue and not them distract us with concealed carry. Lets not let them make this election about this!

4. - Amalia - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 11:47 am:

I think both sides should slow down. does liability
    insurance for gun ownership exist? every law on
    the books for firearms will be scrutinized, perhaps
    even with strict scrutiny in legal terms. those who
    want reasonable regulation of firearms should be
    sure they are being reasonable. maybe it would
    be a good idea to just add handguns to any regulations
    that currently exist in jurisdictions where handgun
    ownership was illegal. It’s legal now. both sides
    should take a large dose of reasonable.

5. - cermak_rd - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 11:48 am:

What’s wrong with open carry? If citizens must carry weaponry, I prefer that approach as it allows private property owners to bar entry by armed persons if they want.

You have the right to free speech, but that doesn’t mean you can spout off on my property, the same I would think would apply to gun carrying.

6. - Ahoy - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 11:51 am:

Yea, this isn’t a good state wide election issue for the Republicans, you would think they would be smart enough to know that.

7. - Montrose - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 11:58 am:

pro-concealed carry, anti-minimum wage, pro-gassing puppies, anti-civil unions. If only there was device in almost every home in Illinois that Quinn could use to send a message with pictures that communicated these stances to help people understand what they would be getting with Brady.

8. - Moving to Oklahoma - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 12:01 pm:

Its always too much too fast when it comes to 2nd amendment rights in Illinois. It is really mind numbing to listen to the logic used by people on the gun control side of the issue.

How many people have to die before it is plainly obvious that the handgun restrictions simply are not effective? Chicago kills nearly as many people with handguns each year as are killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Despite this, if the city of Chicago, or Cook county wants to continue the flawed logic and laws that they have in place, I say let them. Bill Brady should propose a “Missouri” style right to carry bill that exempts Chicago and the Metro East. 90 plus counties in Illinois believe in and support right to carry, I don’t want to force it on Cook county, but the rest of us should not be held hostage on this issue by the political ignorance of Chicago and its politicos.

9. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 12:03 pm:

=== Chicago kills nearly as many people with handguns each year as are killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.===

What a crock. Don’t be stupid.

10. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 12:05 pm:

===Its always too much too fast when it comes to 2nd amendment rights in Illinois.===

That’s a politically suicidal mindset.

11. - Brennan - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 12:16 pm:

Conceal and carry? Isn’t that the Democratic Party’s strategy for states and the the federal budget?

Conceal it by not creating a budget. Carry it until after the elections.

Don’t take Rich’s bait. He’s got all the answers at a time when the Democratic Party has none.

12. - Loop Lady - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 12:32 pm:

concealed carry in urban areas is a bunch of murders waiting to happen…I am against concealed carry of handguns, because I think people should have at least a few seconds to run away before the shooter pulls out his thirty eight…you know, give the unarmed a few seconds head start…

13. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 12:41 pm:

I think Cermak has a good point. Why concealed? Why not open carry? I want to know if someone is walking into my home, business, church or kids’ schools carrying a gun. I want the opportunity to keep them out.

Like Justice Scalia has said, there are places you can limit firearms. Scalia has specifically mentioned courtrooms, lol.

14. - dupage dan - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:02 pm:

=Cook County and many of the suburbs mostly objecting to guns on the streets=

It is interesting to note the recent incidents during which citizens of Chicago used illegal handguns to protect themselves from criminals. So, while the politicians are supporting long standing laws banning handguns, citizens who could very well have voted for those politicians are violating the ban. Once the incidents have occured, law enforcement officials subsequently decline to prosecute the individuals for violating the handgun ban. All the while the politicians still trumpet the idea that handgun ownership is not the right way to combat crime.

Where does one start?

It is also interesting to note that the concurring statements by Justice Thomas make reference to the history regarding laws that allowed African Americans to own firearms in order to protect themselves from the likes of the Ku Klux Klan. Now, many are just trying to protect themselves from criminals in their midst and Daley has already hinted at restrictions that could make it difficult for most moderate income people to legally possess a handgun in the city limits. More lawsuits to come, most likely.

I wonder if those folk would still vote for Daley now? His recent press conferences have had a very disturbing taint to them.

15. - Just Because - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:41 pm:

I am in favor of concealed carry. I dont understand why so many people have a problem with it? the crimianls all have guns that are not legal. make training manditory and set the fee high. $500 a year with strick guide lines like other states have. Punish the ones who dont follow the rules. seems simple to me!

16. - Moving to Oklahoma - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:44 pm:

Rich, dispute the facts of my post. Dont just tell me not to be stupid. When you compare the number of U.S. Service men killed in Iraq and Afganistan, to the number of deaths in Chicago over the same period of time, the numbers are comparable.

Secondly, in regards to “political suicide” maybe we have too many people worried about their political life, and not enough people worried about actual lives.

17. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:49 pm:

===When you compare the number of U.S. Service men killed in Iraq and Afganistan, to the number of deaths in Chicago over the same period of time, the numbers are comparable. ===

That’s what is so stupid. First of all, you didn’t say that. You just wrote killings in the two countries.

Secondly, to make an accurate comparison, you’d have to look at police deaths in Chicago and compare them to troop deaths in those other two countries.

18. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:49 pm:

OK, this idea of protection really is a farce.
    Take a look at the areas where the shootings take place. Most are in gang-heavy areas.
    It looks like for most of these shooting, the “victim” probably also had a gun.
    So much for “guns stop crime.”

19. - Brennan - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:53 pm:

=concealed carry in urban areas is a bunch of murders waiting to happen=

Really? Tell that to the small town of Houston, TX. I heard Phoenix, AZ is a small town too.

@Moving to Oklahoma
    Or you have reporters that agree with politicians that don’t want to take any courageous stands in order to protect their incumbency. “Can’t blame em.”

20. - Ken in Aurora - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:54 pm:

“- Loop Lady - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 12:32 pm: concealed carry in urban areas is a bunch of murders waiting to happen…”

No other state that implemented carry has seen anything like this.

Give me facts, not misguided emotion.

21. - Moving to Oklahoma - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:55 pm:

Never mind. Lets just keep things the way they are. Things are fine. Forget I brought it up.

22. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 1:57 pm:

One more note — Am I the only one amused that “conservatives” want to quickly change things?

I’m pretty sure that “conservatives” no longer have any relation to the word “conservative.”

23. - Loop Lady - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 2:26 pm:

24. - lincolnlover - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 2:56 pm:

Enough of the Chicago crap. There’s a lot more involved in the gang war murders than just availability of guns. Limiting guns in Cook County may be part of the solution. However, the rest of us downstate have exactly the opposite problem. I grew up on a farm and learned to use a shot gun at the tender age of 11. I remember my Mom and Dad going to the door, shotgun in hand, because they did not recognize the car in the drive and were not expecting anyone. Out in the backwoods of Vermilion County, there was no police protection other than the 2 state troopers on duty, so it was every family for themselves. You know what happened? It made us a very polite group of people. When you don’t know if someone else has a gun and knows how to use it, you walk a little softer.

25. - Loop Lady - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 3:07 pm:

enough of this Chicago crap? There’s a good argument…I guess this only happens in Chicago, not Saint Louis or Rockford, or Phoenix…please calm down before you shoot yourself in the foot further…

26. - borzoi - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 3:11 pm:

Is Miller suggesting the Brady slow down and *wait for Quinn to be reqady to accept concealed carry*?

Quinn already promised a veto. He knew this day was coming.

Conceal Carry Now.
    48 other states have created a wonderful test case.

27. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 3:14 pm:

No, borzoi, I’m suggesting that y’all take a breath or you’re gonna screw this up.

Imagine, for instance, if the sponsor of the gay rights bill had introduced a gay marriage bill immediately after the rights bill passed.

Or, imagine if the medical marijuana supporters right away begin calling for full legalization the moment their bill is signed into law.

You can stamp your little feet all you want, and hold your breath until your faces turn blue, but you can’t change political reality on something like this.’

Deal with it.

28. - Small Town Liberal - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 3:24 pm:

- I’m suggesting that y’all take a breath or you’re gonna screw this up. -

Hey Rich, you can take their overreaction when you pry it from their cold, dead fingers.

29. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 4:10 pm:

Brady can’t win if the debate is over ideology and social issues. He already has the enthusiasm edge over Quinn and the trend has also been in his favor. He need to demonstrate that he has no fangs and is a likable person in order to beat Quinn November 2nd.

The root concern over this issue is personal safety from crime, not constitutional rights. Brady has to demonstrate respect for these fears if he is cornered by the media on this and do no harm to his campaign by looking out of the norm.

30. - lincolnlover - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 4:16 pm:

Loop Lady - I won’t shoot myself in the foot because I do not currently own a gun (but if I did, I know how to use it properly so still would not injure myself). And, yes, enough of the Chicago Crap! If Chicago would actually deal with their issues of poorly achieving schools and lack of decent employment things might improve. Meanwhile, the rest of the state should not be held hostage to the problems of the area north of I-80 and east of I-39. As I state earlier, we have our own issues to deal with. So, I three-peat: Enough of the Chicago Crap.

31. - Ken in Aurora - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 4:20 pm:

“Loop Lady - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 2:26 pm: Ken, I guess it’s my misguided emotion that is responsible for the mass of shootings/killings in the City of Chicago this summer and not those concealed handguns in the pockets and cars of gang bangers…”

Please don’t equate legal possession and use of weapons by law abiding citizens with the criminal actions of thugs - it’s insulting.

Would you condemn all vehicle use because of the actions of a drunken few?

32. - cermak_rd - Tuesday, Jun 29, 10 @ 6:31 pm:

Regarding the rest of the state shouldn’t be held hostage to the issues of those who live north of I80 and east of I39, I would point out that’s where the bulk of the people of the state of IL live. Also, people in the tony suburbs of Oak Park, River Forest and Palatine (all of whom have nice schools) aren’t exactly ready to embrace concealed carry laws, either.

Like I said, I don’t oppose open carry, but I don’t like concealed carry. I notice, that even in your example, your folks’ shotgun would not have been concealed (unless it was sawed off or they had big pockets).

* Happy Thanksgiving!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Five unanswered questions
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Caption contest!
* Crossing the line
* Moody's warns Illinois
* The Credit Union Difference
* *** UPDATED x1 - Franks responds *** Uh-oh
* Then and now

* Leaked renders show a rotating camera on the upcoming ZUK Z2
* Look for clues and discover the mysterious history of Facility 47
* Football Manager Touch 2016 now out on Android devices
* Thanksgiving/Black Friday Online Sales Hit $4.5B, 34% Of Purchases Made On Mobile
* Amazon Prime Video Coming to New Apple TV Possibly Within a 'Few Weeks'
* Sonos Trueplay makes Bluetooth speaker EQ smart
* Getting an iPad Air 2 for Thanksgiving on your iPhone? Same as a lot of other people

* South Side Sox' SB Nation MLB Awards voting results
* Starting Pitcher Rankings: Chris Sale and Jose Quintana maintain st...
* Scouting profile: Adam Engel
* Alex Avila will try to shed limitations with White Sox
* White Sox program provides kids real chance
* Johnson solid candidate for White Sox rotation
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal

* Illinois has taken few Syrians in last 5 years .....
* Will Lincolnshire take on labor unions by estab.....
* Rauner faces challenges to block Syrian refugee.....

* Illinois community college plans to boost foreign recruiting
* Historic re-enactors gather at former French fort
* Foul play not suspected in death of southern Illinois woman
* Lawyers for Schock say documents handed over to prosecutors
* EXCHANGE: Highland art teachers exhibit works on campus
* Police make arrest in killing of Chicago 9-year-old boy
* Mascoutah burglary victim shot in 1st night at new home
* Closing of 2 Illinois harness racing tracks opposed
* Landfill cleanup to idle Rockford area sledding hill
* Hunters find body of missing southern Illinois woman

* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield jobless rate falls again, to 5.1 percent
* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Number of Illinois inmates released on parole climbing
* Bryce Benton circulating petitions to challenge Sen. Sam McCann in GOP primary
* Executive Mansion roof repairs nearing completion

* Retailers ready for shooting protests
* Mag Mile tied up by protest over Chicago teen's shooting
* Review: Sociale in the South Loop
* Her Barbie was a lawyer. Now she defends victims' rights
* Meet the guy making money off your food scraps

* BGA Public Eye: Dolton voters may get shot to recall trustees
* Blackhawks rally for stunning victory with two late goals
* Aaron Schock’s lawyers voluntarily providing records sought by feds
* In wake of dashcam video, Emanuel must navigate political minefield
* White House under holiday lockdown after man jumps fence
* Trevor Daley turning the corner at both ends of the ice
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees
* Brown: Simeon basketball players bring their A-game to court
* 16 reasons every Blackhawks fan should be thankful on Thanksgiving
* Blackhawks cool off Sharks; Kane extends point streak to 17

* Woman dead after Dan Ryan crash
* Teen fatally shot in Gary
* Illinois schools' strengths, weaknesses exposed in statewide survey
* Man, woman get themselves to safety after falling into Lake Michigan
* 1 killed, 2 wounded in city shootings
* Police warn of burglaries on West Side
* Fiery crash in McHenry County kills 3 18-year-olds; bystanders try to free passengers
* Tyshawn on swing when gangbangers out for revenge targeted him: prosecutors
* Blog: Mag Mile marchers protest Laquan McDonald shooting
* Some Black Friday shoppers balk at Laquan McDonald protests on Mag Mile

* Charles Krauthammer: The Syrian immigration cul-de-sac
* Rob Elliott: EPA ethanol ruling affects more than energy policy
* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Eugene Robinson: The GOP's political correctness dodge
* Douglas Holt: Woman's protest of Trump was misguided, inappropriate
* George Will: Muzzling pet advice another case of free speech erosion
* Bernard Schoenburg: Josh Langfelder took father's advice on election petition signatures
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack

* The story behind the Gordyville antique show
* Who lives here? Nov. 28, 2015
* Sandra Mason: A grateful gardener
* Athletic success takes more than a coach
* Marching Illini: Next stop, Soldier Field
* Area update: Students largely favor building new high school
* Weekend planner: Snow Globe
* Event aims to find blood marrow donor for woman with rare leukemia
* Area history, Nov. 28, 2015
* Nye not qualified to talk about climate change

* Mortar attack on UN base in north Mali kills 3, injures 20
* Prominent human rights activist killed in attack in Turkey
* Suspect in custody after shooting at Planned Parenthood
* Pope honors Ugandan Christian martyrs as example of faith
* Elgin woman dies at 100, said secret to longevity was eating at Portillo's

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Durbin Calls on Gov. Rauner to Meet With S......
* Durbin Statement on Pfizer-Allergan Invers......

* Opinion: Sen. Kirk must stand with crimina......

* The cover-up of the killing of Laquan McDonald.
* Keeping retirement weird. Justice is the public face of love.
* RLC Roundup: Drivers Aim Lawsuit At Tinley Park Red Light Cameras
* Dueling pair of children being used to fight for attention of Chicago, world
* No Positive Loitering Tonight
* Fairness.
* It brings out the rats.
* If we are to get Goldman Sachs out of ESEA, we will have to be the ones to do it.
* Black Friday on North Michigan Avenue.
* Does America need a "council of elders"?

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact