*** UPDATED x1 *** Miller columns: Avoiding another Blagojevich and sending off the Zephyr

Friday, Dec 10, 2010

* My Sun-Times column

The second anniversary of Rod Blagojevich’s arrest was this week. It passed mostly unnoticed. Maybe nobody felt like celebrating. I sure didn’t.

One of the few commemorations I saw was in Chicago Magazine, which ran an article titled “Why is Illinois so Corrupt?

There was the usual list of suspects, mainly focused on Chicago. For instance, there was Mayor Richard J. Daley’s institutionalizing the city’s corrupt systems while business and whites looked the other way in a grand, unspoken bargain for lucrative construction projects, jobs and keeping the blacks at bay.

There are as many theories as there are solutions. But what we do know for sure is that this entire state has long had a serious problem with corruption. It’s not just one party, and it’s certainly not just one region.

Back in the mid 1970s, my father was a deputy sheriff in Iroquois County. Most Chicagoans probably don’t even know where that is, but it’s a huge, rural farm county with almost no people. Its northern border is only about 70 miles south of the city on I-57.

It may be geographically close to Chicago, but it’s a whole other world. Iroquois is and always has been one of the most Republican counties in the state. It was one of the few that went for that wacky Marylander Alan Keyes over Barack Obama in the 2004 U.S. Senate race, for instance.

Anyway, my dad says the sheriff back then had a company that leased the deputies’ police cars to the county. The sheriff had a company that sold police uniforms to his own officers. Every week, as dad tells the story, the sheriff would stop by the jail to pick up a big package of meat that the county ostensibly bought for the inmates.

So much for MacDougal’s theory.

OK, so it’s a given. But what do we do? Two years ago, I argued that the citizenry should try to remake the entire government right down to the local level by voting for a state constitutional convention. Change the structure, then maybe things might get better. The proposal lost by a huge margin.

The biggest reason Rod Blagojevich was re-elected four years ago was because a real effort wasn’t made to defeat him in the Democratic primary. The people who run the Democratic Party didn’t go after Blagojevich because the last time they primaried out a sitting Democratic governor, the Republicans took control of the office for the next 26 years. But that decision was a huge mistake. The Republicans were too weak in 2006 to make any sort of inroads. Illinois’ independent voters are as scared of the GOP as Iroquois County voters are of the Democrats.

What we witnessed this year with Toni Preckwinkle’s Democratic primary defeat of Todd Stroger was a rarity in Illinois. Cook County will have a far better, cleaner government because of her victory. We ought to learn from that.

We need far more primaries in this state. Legislative, ward and county board districts are drawn throughout Illinois to elect one party over the other, so running in the general election is pretty much useless, except for a few swing districts here and there.

New district boundaries will be drawn next year. So people who want things to change should start thinking soon about running for office against members of their own party. It won’t solve all our problems, but some new, honest blood certainly wouldn’t hurt.

* Meanwhile, the Zephyr, Galesburg’s alt weekly, has just published its final edition. Publisher Norm Winick is ill, so the decision was made to pull the plug on the paper. I’ve known Norm for a long time. He’s one of the good guys. Some of you may know his son, Ben, who is Gov. Pat Quinn’s House liaison. Norm’s wife Christine is a gem of a human being.

An editor at the paper asked me to help send off the Zephyr this week, and here is my contribution…

I understand why the Zephyr has to go, but I sure don’t have to like it. Five of my friends have died in the last year. Now this. The Zephyr may just be a newspaper to some, but it’s always been a friend of mine.

I’ve grown to love this paper since Norm Winick began publishing my weekly column almost 12 years ago. Its quirky eccentricities delighted me, its sharp graphics made it a pleasure to read, its 1995-era website amused me. But its reporting and its philosophy of being “the world’s first public access newspaper” kept me coming back week after week. You just never knew what you’d see.

The Zephyr is not only a local treasure, it’s a state treasure and Norm oughtta be canonized for keeping it going and keeping it relevant through the many lean years.

For instance, I read the first real, in-depth story on Congressman-elect Bobby Schilling right here on these pages. Mike Kroll wrote a fascinating profile of a long-shot candidate who firmly believed he would win the race. Just about everybody else thought the guy was a goofball dreamer, but the Zephyr gave Schilling respectful, evenhanded treatment when everybody in the political world was doing their best to ignore the guy.

Norm’s story this fall about how Gov. Pat Quinn’s payroll was smaller than his last four predecessors’ was a calm tonic in a political environment overly outraged that Quinn had given some of his staffers pay raises.

There’s also a personal angle for me. Befitting his “public access” bent, Norm gave me wide latitude as a writer. Back in 1999 I wrote a long piece about a trip to Cuba. The story contained some racy language, which is not something you usually see on these pages. Norm inserted a little warning at the beginning, but didn’t touch a single word of my copy. He’s a writer’s editor - a rarity in the publishing world. I’ll always love him for that.

I’ve had the privilege of appearing in these pages through three governors, beginning with George Ryan. We’ve gone through a lot together. Two convicted governors and a populist who can’t seem to get his arms around the job. I’ll miss sharing my thoughts with you week after bloody week.

People always love to complain about their local media outlets, but I’m betting that Galesburgians will miss this paper until they, too, go the way of the Zephyr. You’ll never again see anything else like this beautiful little publication. Norm and Mike and everyone else here made it what it is: A one of a kind beauty in a fast-food, prepackaged world.

I sense a great disturbance in The Force, like when the Death Star destroyed Alderaan. You’re not the only ones losing something valuable. The entire state is as well, whether mere mortals realize it or not.

The Zephyr is dead. Long live the Zephyr.

Hang in there, Norm.

*** UPDATE *** Norm passed away today. Rest in peace, brother.

1. - sylvia - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 11:33 am:

If there wasn’t corruption on the grand scale,Capitolfax might not exist

2. - Ersatz Edwin Eisendrath - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 11:53 am:

“The biggest reason Rod Blagojevich was re-elected four years ago was because a real effort wasn’t made to defeat him in the Democratic primary”–What am I, chopped liver?

3. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 11:54 am:

4. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 12:09 pm:

Rich -

Thanks for your excellent tribute to Norm and The Zephyr.

Keeping a quality small newspaper afloat is no easy task, and becomes Herculean when you insist on the highest journalistic standards.

Lots of small newspapers survive by kowtowing to their advertisers, or the dominant political party. The Zephyr floated above them all by putting the public’s interests first.

5. - just sayin' - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 12:41 pm:

Yeah, Gary MacDougal doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Some of the podunk counties have more corruption per capita than Cook, by far. Think “Dukes of Hazzard,” or that classic Burt Reynolds movie from the late 70’s, “Gator.” Or “Macon County Line.”

But seriously, there is all kinds of stuff going on in some of the downstate counties. And if anything there is a lot less sunshine from the media and more of it goes unchecked. Of course none of this stops downstaters from throwing rocks in their glass house about Chicago.

6. - wordslinger - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 12:50 pm:

–“If you’re out on a farm, there isn’t all that much to be corrupt about,” former Illinois Republican Party Chairman Gary MacDougal told Chicago Magazine.–

Yeah, human nature is determined by geography. The statement goes unchallenged by the writer, which is about all you need to know about the depth and insight of the article.

When I was a a kid, they extended what is now I-88 from Sugar Grove to Dixon. Back then, that was about as rural and GOP as you could get. All the chatter among the grownups when they got together was which local GOP grand poohbah had made the biggest killing on buying land based on inside dope on the route.

There were quite a few, but a local GOP state senator always got credit for making the most.

7. - Angry Republican - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 12:51 pm:

Rich, you are mistaken about Preckwinkle being a reformer; just ask Joe Berrios.

8. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 1:03 pm:

Yeah, AR. Take one endorsement and say she’s not a reformer. That’s completely absurd. Autocratic, even.

9. - Way Way Down Here - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 1:10 pm:

Gosh Rich, I’ve been trying to keep that Keyes over Obama factoid quiet for six years!

10. - lakeview - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 1:15 pm:

I have had this discussion with people from out of state about George Ryan. One of my friends in California was going on about how great he was because of his opposition to the death penalty, and I said that many here thought that closing death row was a tactic to divert attention from his corruption issues. My friend said that of course Ryan was corrupt, ha ha, because after all, he was a machine democrat from Chicago, ha ha.

She was stunned to find out that he was a Republican from Kankankee, a pharmacist no less.

11. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 1:32 pm:

Sorry to hear about your friend, Rich ….

That was a nice tribute you wrote …

12. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 1:35 pm:

13. - Siriusly - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 1:38 pm:

“The biggest reason Rod Blagojevich was re-elected four years ago was because a real effort wasn’t made to defeat him in the Democratic primary” - you’re right as usual of course.

So while I find my self defending many of the Dems in our state and in the GA frequently, including Speaker Madigan, on this point I feel that they all bear some guilt in enabling Blago to continue. Sure Emil would not have been happy if someone mounted a real challenge, but what happened to the Lou Langs and Jack Franks in 2006. Those two sure were talking a lot about running.

14. - Scooby - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 1:49 pm:

Blagojevich was sitting on $20 million. There’s a difference between being gutsy and stupid.

15. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 1:52 pm:

It was half that before the primary, Scooby. 10 mil.

16. - Scooby - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 2:26 pm:

Are you sure? I haven’t looked it up, but I know he spent $27 million for the entire race and I’d be surprised if he raised $17 million of that in the final year. I’m not saying your wrong, it just strikes me as low.

17. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 2:44 pm:

Yes, Scooby, I looked it up.

18. - DownstateDem31 - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 2:50 pm:

Rich, nice, fitting tribute to Norm. I’ve read this page for several years (since getting into the political life in 2007), and I’ve known Norm since then working for a couple campaigns and being a student at Knox College.

For all his quirks, he was one of the nicest guys you could have met, and someone who was fully committed to politics and fair journalism. Even though he had strong political beliefs, he never hesitated to give someone a fair shot.

I learned much from Norm, and he and Chris have always treated me so well and have been so welcoming when I’ve been around Knox County. I learned of his diagnosis the week before Election Day, and it was not something I expected to hear. I’ll be at his funeral, but sure wish this funeral didn’t have to happen.

Thanks Norm, for being so good to me. I always did appreciate it.

19. - Been There - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 3:13 pm:

===Most Chicagoans probably don’t even know where that is===
    Is it somewhere near the buckle of the cornbelt?

20. - Scooby - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 3:43 pm:

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks.

21. - Paul Mangieri - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 6:47 pm:

Norm Winick was the first to encourage me to run for political office. In 1996 when no Democrat had ever been elected State’s Attorney in the history of Knox County, Norm encouraging me to do so, quoting a line from the Godfather said it would be difficult, but not impossible. We won. That was Norm. He understood the realities. He knew the odds, but he never - ever refused to try simply because the deck was stacked against him. Norm was eternally optimistic. Norm was a great county party chairman who bridged every party divide. Norm was funny. Norm was engaging. Norm’s political instincts were second to none. Norm was a devoted husband and loving father. Norm was Norm and he will be missed. God bless you Norm, Chris, and Ben.

22. - Just The Way It Is One - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 7:15 pm:

The loss of Norm’s Zephyr is a loss for us all, as citizenry seeking to stay informed and in considering a well-balanced array of news, insight, and opinions, from a variety of sources. Likewise, it is a loss for a wider, more embellished dissemination of that precious freedom of speech/press we all so cherish (or SHOULD!) under the 1st Amendment. In that sense, the Zephyr’s departure is not only a sad day for those folks in the Galesburg area, but for all of Illinois, the U.S., and, indeed the world. A very moving and fitting tribute– and thanks for reminding us of this freedom we hold so dear and must forever cherish and never relinquish….!

23. - anon - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 7:29 pm:

My heart goes out to Ben and Chris at this difficult time. Thanks Rich for such a thoughtful tribute.

24. - Publius - Friday, Dec 10, 10 @ 7:34 pm:

I will miss Norm a lot. The few times I met him he was a nice guy and truly a good person. He had a smile that could brighten up a room and he was a good Democrat that loved the party more than most. His paper will be truly missed by those who read it and I am glad that I was able to meet and get to know him.

* Happy Thanksgiving!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Five unanswered questions
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Caption contest!
* Crossing the line
* Moody's warns Illinois
* The Credit Union Difference
* *** UPDATED x1 - Franks responds *** Uh-oh
* Then and now

* Amazon Prime Video Coming to New Apple TV Possibly Within a 'Few Weeks'
* Sonos Trueplay makes Bluetooth speaker EQ smart
* Getting an iPad Air 2 for Thanksgiving on your iPhone? Same as a lot of other people
* Google+ web preview update brings 3-column view, context replies
* ZTE, Lenovo and Xiaomi inch away from Qualcomm, MediaTek chipsets
* Instagram adding multi-account support to Android app
* Exynos 8890 benchmark may literally be incredible

* Starting Pitcher Rankings: Chris Sale and Jose Quintana maintain st...
* Scouting profile: Adam Engel
* Alex Avila will try to shed limitations with White Sox
* White Sox program provides kids real chance
* Johnson solid candidate for White Sox rotation
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal

* Will task force undo government glut? - Kankake.....
* State suffers from Rauner-Madigan machismo - Ka.....

* Foul play not suspected in death of southern Illinois woman
* Lawyers for Schock say documents handed over to prosecutors
* EXCHANGE: Highland art teachers exhibit works on campus
* Police make arrest in killing of Chicago 9-year-old boy
* Mascoutah burglary victim shot in 1st night at new home
* Closing of 2 Illinois harness racing tracks opposed
* Landfill cleanup to idle Rockford area sledding hill
* Hunters find body of missing southern Illinois woman
* EXCHANGE: Augustana digitizing Hauberg glass plate images
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees

* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield jobless rate falls again, to 5.1 percent
* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Number of Illinois inmates released on parole climbing
* Bryce Benton circulating petitions to challenge Sen. Sam McCann in GOP primary
* Executive Mansion roof repairs nearing completion

* Retailers ready for shooting protests
* Mag Mile tied up by protest over Chicago teen's shooting
* Review: Sociale in the South Loop
* Her Barbie was a lawyer. Now she defends victims' rights
* Meet the guy making money off your food scraps

* Blackhawks rally for stunning victory with two late goals
* Aaron Schock’s lawyers voluntarily providing records sought by feds
* In wake of dashcam video, Emanuel must navigate political minefield
* White House under holiday lockdown after man jumps fence
* Trevor Daley turning the corner at both ends of the ice
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees
* Brown: Simeon basketball players bring their A-game to court
* 16 reasons every Blackhawks fan should be thankful on Thanksgiving
* Blackhawks cool off Sharks; Kane extends point streak to 17
* Four more Laquan McDonald police dashcam videos released

* 1 dead, 1 wounded in city shootings
* Fiery crash in McHenry County kills 3 18-year-olds; bystanders try to free passengers
* Tyshawn on swing when gangbangers out for revenge targeted him: prosecutors
* Blog: Mag Mile marchers protest Laquan McDonald shooting
* Some Black Friday shoppers balk at Laquan McDonald protests on Mag Mile
* Crowds close stores, march on Mag Mile to protest Laquan McDonald killing
* Ex-'American Idol' Lee DeWyze at home at Elk Grove tree-lighting
* Suit filed over former probation officer's misconduct
* Pop Warner team scrambling to raise money for national championship
* Cops: Will County explosions just legal shooting practice

* Charles Krauthammer: The Syrian immigration cul-de-sac
* Rob Elliott: EPA ethanol ruling affects more than energy policy
* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Eugene Robinson: The GOP's political correctness dodge
* Douglas Holt: Woman's protest of Trump was misguided, inappropriate
* George Will: Muzzling pet advice another case of free speech erosion
* Bernard Schoenburg: Josh Langfelder took father's advice on election petition signatures
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack

* Illinois 72, Alabama-Birmingham 58
* Nunn sparkles in return
* MBB notebook: Morgan starting strong for Illini
* Friday's highlights: GCMS, LeRoy boys hoops to meet in finale
* Rockets overwhelmed by Fightin' Irish in title game
* Volleyball team falls in finale
* Arcola routs Stark County for 1A football crown
* Football state championships notes: Arcola's win particularly special
* HS Football: Arcola returns to homecoming
* HS Football: Unity vs. Bishop McNamara Class 3A Championship

* Seguin scores in shootout and Stars beat Canucks 3-2
* Air pollution in Beijing hits hazardous levels
* Barkov's shootout goal gives Panthers 3-2 win over Islanders
* Westminster Christian knocks off St. Edward
* George's big game pushes Pacers past Bulls 104-92

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Letter: Sen. Durbin is right on refugee is......

* Opinion: Sen. Kirk must stand with crimina......

* Dueling pair of children being used to fight for attention of Chicago, world
* No Positive Loitering Tonight
* Fairness.
* It brings out the rats.
* If we are to get Goldman Sachs out of ESEA, we will have to be the ones to do it.
* Black Friday on North Michigan Avenue.
* Does America need a "council of elders"?
* Snow Money
* There's Snow Business
* Random Thoughts.

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact