Rod Blagojevich’s pre-prison statement

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012

* You can watch the former governor by clicking here.

* He still can’t admit that he did wrong. He still says he believes he “always” did right by the people. Such bunk.

* This is turning into yet another campaign speech. He’s talking about all of his alleged accomplishments in office. All Kids, free rides for seniors, no income tax increase.

* I can’t help but wonder if those people chanting “Free our governor!” were paid to be there.

* Dismisses his crimes as mere “political horse trading.”

* “I’ve been putting off the thought of what that’s going to be like,” he said about his future prison life. Typical Blagojevichian denial.

* OK, that was weird. Somebody tried to drape Rod and Patti in an American flag. “Please take that thing off,” Patti said.

* It’s very difficult to admit this because I don’t consider myself a hard, or unfeeling man. But I found myself actually sneering while Blagojevich’s voice started to crack as he talked about his family.

* “The truth ultimately will prevail,” he said, saying he was confident in his appeals. He was also confident he would be exonerated.

* OK, that’s all I can take. If you want to watch the follow-up interviews, feel free to comment about them below. My stomach turned and I need to walk away from this for the rest of the night.

1. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:06 pm:

Who are these people chanting and cheering on Blago?

2. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

He admits he could have governed with more humility. Well that’s more contrition than I was expecting even if the rest of this is back-patting himself for always working for “the people.”

3. - How Ironic - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

Barf. Can’t wait until he’s gone.

4. - Ann - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

Just wanted to help ordinary people. Never thought about anyone but what was best for the people of this state. I got bruised and bloodied for what I did for people. And I never raised the income tax.

It’s the same old same old. No surprise. But sure isn’t giving me any second thoughts about his guilt or the justness of his sentence.

5. - JL - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

Sociopath.

6. - Responsa - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:10 pm:

I had to turn off the TV. I couldn’t stand to listen to what he was saying.

7. - Regular Reader - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:10 pm:

You’d think he’s running for reelection.

So defiant. What on earth will humble this man?

8. - Reality Check - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:10 pm:

Could we arrange for everyone chanting “Free Our Governor” to be shipped off to Littleton, too?

9. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:10 pm:

“It is the law and we follow the law and I will begin doing that tomorrow.”

10. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:12 pm:

I have typed about 3 different things to say about this, but the more I listened, the more it became quite clear.

No snark, no anger, no frustration …

I think Rod is ill. I hope he gets the help he needs.

11. - Pat Collins - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:14 pm:

what will humble this man?

Tomorrow.

12. - Edison Parker - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:15 pm:

“Who are these people chanting and cheering on Blago?”

Odds are they are people hired by the publicist. I really hope that’s true otherwise my already low view of humanity dimmed a bit further.

13. - Ivory-billed Woodpecker - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:16 pm:

Bizarre beyond words.

14. - Illinois citizen - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:18 pm:

Oswego Willy, I agree.

Does the O.J. type chase through Chicago begin now? God, I hope not. But with this guy, you just expect it somehow.

15. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:19 pm:

Chuck Goudie is almost as insufferable as Blagojevich. Seriously, I don’t know which one is the bigger doofus today.

16. - And I Approved This Message - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:22 pm:

He has a few hours of freedom left and he choses to spend this precious time on one last self- agrandizing cluster **** while his kids sit inside wishing they could be with their Dad. I didn’t think it was possible to dislike him more but he just took care of that.

17. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:24 pm:

Apparently, he forget that there were tapes and they were quite revealing as to the pursuit of his selfish interests and what he really thought of the people.

18. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:25 pm:

Is Goudie the one who was asking Rod what it is he has to be proud of (inviting another recitation of the stump speech he just gave) and then asked Patti if she was going to wait for Rod?

19. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:27 pm:

Kudos to WCIA for cutting him off after 2 minutes and going back to their live remote fundraiser for the Harrisburg folks. A higher calling and saved AA from hurling.

20. - Illinois citizen - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:31 pm:

And now he’s signing autographs? Really? He is going to miss 10 or 20 minutes in his own house with his kids to sign scrap paper?

21. - Kasich Walker, Jr. - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:31 pm:

This isn’t about our former governor.

It’s about the desire so many acting as if one individual making sound bite campaign pledges can solve complicated problems.

22. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:32 pm:

Go inside and be with your kids and quit signing autographs, jerk!

23. - Cindy Lou - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:34 pm:

The man should have just silently went away. As thrilled as I was (and am) the man was removed from office and also finally found guilty of his crimes…I can’t help but feel a bit of sadness of the sight of this unstable man rattling on and on in all his delusional glory. Bye, Rod. Now just go.

24. - Kasich Walker, Jr. - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:34 pm:

I’ll try that again:

This isn’t about our former governor.

It’s about too many acting as if one individual making sound bite campaign pledges can solve complicated problems.

25. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:35 pm:

It’s a human tragedy as Nixon’s fall was. He might “get it” during the next 14 years. I feel for his young children who will grow up without their father. He didn’t think of them, or any one else, did he?

I had thought earlier today that Miller’s “Goodbye and Good Riddance” post was going to be about Blago!

26. - Anonymour - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:44 pm:

Milorad Blagojevich Will You Please Go Now!

27. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:45 pm:

I’ve never seen anything so bizarre in my life, and it’s still going on. He can’t walk away from his adoring fans. Un-flippin’-real.

28. - JustaJoe - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:54 pm:

Hey Blago, the truth ultimately did prevail.
    But don’t worry, the damage of your legacy lives on, “as usual”.

29. - Siriusly - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:54 pm:

I can’t believe Sal and Richard weren’t there.

30. - Baines 4 Prez - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 4:55 pm:

Well I’m certainly not surprised in the least, and nobody else here should be either. When you’re on a denial trip like he is, you take things all the way.

Good riddance. It is a shame for those kids, but they have had plenty of time to figure this out, let alone that Blago is the only person who pushed it to this point. I’m sure he could have done far less time if he would have just pled guilty/cooperated.

31. - mokenavince - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 5:10 pm:

How many governors have refused to move in their
    Springfield home?How many thought it was alright
    to comute by airoplane?The guy was a dog from the get-go,and we elected him twice,good riddance.
    Quinn maybe a lot of things,but he could never be as bad as Blago. Blago Congressman and Governor from Illinois how sad.

32. - springpatch - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 5:15 pm:

I am happy His kids will finally get away from their mentally ill, self absorbed and admittedly alcoholic father. This will be that start of recovery to a more normal life. The kids to start healing, growing and softening their souls. This is a good time for them, although painful for now. Think of the warped beasts they may have grown up as with Blago as a role model as they become young adults. The kids will get older and read how crazy their father was then learn to find better role models.

I have no sympathy for Patti, she is a fowl mouthed criminal lucky to not have been brought to justice herself. Hopefully she is more sane than Blago and can change for the better for her girls. At least Patti seems to have some grasp of reality and has shown a sense of feeling, unlike Rod.

Tomorrow finally will start the slap in the face Rod deserves. I hope his kids learn he is getting what he deserves, so they grow up with a proper sense of right an d wrong.

33. - springpatch - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 5:20 pm:

I meant to say Patti is “foul-mouthed” not fowl.

34. - RailGuy - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 5:22 pm:

I doubt Quinn does it much differently when he finally gets pinched.

35. - demgov - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 5:24 pm:

He’s just a sociopath. good riddance

36. - doug dobmeyer - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 5:52 pm:

Think of the therapy bills for his kids…what a twit

37. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 6:06 pm:

If he’s running for Prison Library Assistant, this isn’t going to help the campaign.

38. - Publius - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 6:41 pm:

The majority of voters in illinois share some of the guilt here. First time, understandale, but the re-election?….unforgivable. While he is locked up, let’s hope the electorate learns to make better choices.

39. - Publius - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 7:00 pm:

I had to turn it off right away as it drove me insane. He’s delusional as always. Also who took my name I’ve been using for years?

40. - The REAL Anonymous fka Anonymous - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 7:20 pm:

=Also who took my name I’ve been using for years?=

Welcome to the ranks of “The REAL,” Publius. Consider it an honor that someone would want to steal your on-line CapFax identity…”

41. - wishbone - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 7:22 pm:

“What on earth will humble this man?”

The next fourteen years.

42. - Macoupin Observer - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 7:26 pm:

Almost as disgusting is the WLS commentary afterward with Sam Adams Jr. Blago ruined a lot of lives during his reign of terror. A year for each person would have him behind bars for two lifetimes. Justice does prevail Rod. Good riddance!

43. - Hotel Ibiza - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 7:28 pm:

Rod’s already leading the polls at Englewood to be the new “King Rat”.

44. - Quizzical - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 7:30 pm:

I’d like to share my special rewrite of the Ice-T classic tribute to gangster life:

Six In the Morning (Rod Blagojevich Redux) Apologies to ICE-T

6’n the morning, the g at my door
    So I jogged and did pushups on the bedroom floor
    Into the Yukon, I just couldn’t escape
    Couldn’t duck in the gangway and slip out the gate,

Man with no judgment, but cocky with glee
    And the streets to a jogger was the place to be
    Had a comb in my pocket worth 50 grand
    Hair on my head tons of hairspray close at hand

I was a self-made monster of the political beat
    Remotely controlled by diabolical cheats
    But just groomin’ my hair was a serious task
    JJ Junior knew what I wanted
    Shouldn’ta took time to ask

Word

Heard the House was coolin’ on my bad way of performin’
    Cold bugged em out, talked on tv shows until they begged no more
    Kicked around on Leno the night before
    Jogged for the cameras and that newsgirl Jill
    Vile innuendo and crap till it made you ill,
    I’ve started acting stupid simply would not quit
    Called Lisa the C-Word, said she’s not worth bleep

Threw action at lawyers till they’d had their fill
    I kept acting stupid, so that Genson guy quit
    Said I shouldn’t say nothin not self-riteous bleep
    As the Senate got mean, I went to crazy speak
    So they kicked my ass out of the Governor seat
    But just grooming my hair is a serious task,
    Quinn hasn’t known what hit him, didn’t have time to ask

Word

Continued jogging streets with a gait that was weirder
    Than if circled my feet and pulled in my posterior
    Talked so much my tongue got raw
    Bust left turn on to Washtenaw

Levine was a flipper who was a freak as well
    Threw big drug orgies at the purple hotel

Looked at his plea deal and what did I see
    Bleepin’ Fitzgerald angry on TV
    Feds went to far, it’s a trap they’ve laid
    It was all nothin’ more than a few deals I’ve made

Patty got pouty, but she wouldn’t talk
    Why isn’t she on her own perp walk?
    On the Apprentice please don’t ask why
    I didn’t sway Donald, but I looked him in the eye

Just Grooming my hair is a serious task
    Donald might have been jealous
    Didn’t have time to ask

Back on the scene when I’m seventy two
    I’ll hit on young women like I used to do
    My own big hair will get me back on the track
    But I won’t be acting like some ex-con hack

Sam A is a giant, his son’s worth the dough,
    Sorovsky is slick, but those Feds can put on a show
    When the trial got a rollin’ my locks were my thing
    Words had no meaning, but Elvis is king,

I got up there slowly and spoke with a grin,
    That says you, me, jury, we’re just like kin,
    It’s not really bad if the Gov asks for some cash,
    They weren’t buyin it, wouldn’t take time to ask

Word

I’ll leave my kids with no money, just fancy clothes
    Mell will be payin’ tuition, so I suppose
    My hair will be long my whole twelve-year stay
    And when I’m out I’ll be handsome so Patty will say

Grow old in the joint with my pride and my heart
    I didn’t want no trouble but the bleep has to start
    Running anew with a convict crowd
    My Governor’s past will make me proud

12 Years in, but I’ll still have pride
    All sympathies I will have on my side
    A sixth of my life has to pass just for talking much trash
    Voters didn’t know who I am, shoulda taken the time to ask

Word

45. - Steve Downstate - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 7:55 pm:

I’m sorry for his kids. They don’t deserve any of this; they didn’t bring it on. But I can’t begin to feel any sympathy for Rod. Forget the attempted sale of the senate seat, forget every other corrupt thing he did or conspired to do. Simply remember that this is the man who withheld a multi-million REIMBURSEMENT check for a children’s hospital so that he could shake down its CEO for a $50,000 campaign contribution. Think about the children and the families who needed treatment and how his actions potentially could have impacted their lives. No sympathy at all for Rod. But yes, I do feel bad for his kids. Truly a sad time for them.

46. - Cal Skinner - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 8:20 pm:

He fought the law and the law won.

47. - Just Me - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 8:22 pm:

We should make very voter watch this press conference from beginning to end to make sure they realize the impact that their ignorance has when they vote for candidates simply because they had the best television commercials.

To Blago: “WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?”

48. - Coach - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 8:27 pm:

Rod and Patti wrapped in an American flag! Amazing.

49. - Todd - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 8:31 pm:

He acted as if he was still on the campaign stump.

He was Blago till the end. . .

50. - Hawkeye - Wednesday, Mar 14, 12 @ 8:32 pm:

Time wounds all heels.

51. - bored now - Thursday, Mar 15, 12 @ 3:10 am:

i think it’s a very good thing that at least one example of corruption in illinois makes us sick. it’s a small step forward…

52. - Aldyth - Thursday, Mar 15, 12 @ 6:15 am:

Narcissistic personality disorder.

Blago has long since rewritten history in his head so that he is a misunderstood hero. And, he really believes it is true.

53. - Tommydanger - Thursday, Mar 15, 12 @ 6:44 am:

The man is completely and utterly devoid of all humility and shame.

54. - Shore - Thursday, Mar 15, 12 @ 7:03 am:

Only 4,380 days until blago is a free man again!
    Will he get capitol fax in jail?

55. - CircularFiringSquad - Thursday, Mar 15, 12 @ 7:26 am:

One More TIme for those of who either forgot or never wanted to believe

Profile of the Sociopath
    This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths.

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning
    They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
    Feels entitled to certain things as “their right.”

Pathological Lying
    Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
    A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions
    When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation
    Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy
    Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others’ feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
    Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
    Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet “gets by” by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
    Not concerned about wrecking others’ lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
    Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
    Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
    Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

56. - He Makes Ryan Look Like a Saint - Thursday, Mar 15, 12 @ 7:27 am:

If he is not careful the Feds may put him in a harder prison. I couldn’t watch, I hate the man he fired many good people I know and I hope he rots in jail. As for Patti, if it wasn’t for the kids she would be gone too.
    Hopefully we don’t hear his name again.

57. - langhorne - Thursday, Mar 15, 12 @ 7:40 am:

his accomplices include the legislature and the voters, but at least he, and a few of his cronies, are getting their jail time. it will probably take the state his entire prison term to recover from the damage he caused.

i thought he had taken a couple steps toward sanity with his remarks at the sentencing. but this was vintage blago, retreating into his delusions.

where is geraldo? i wanted an objective view of things.

* Dold, Schneider launch new TV ads
* Union PAC returns to airwaves with anti-Rauner ad
* A sure-fire cure for the grumpies
* Dem says Manar reform bill is a "disaster" that would "devastate schools"
* The congressional beat
* *** UPDATED x1 - There is a tie-in *** Ethics, schmethics
* *** UPDATED x1 - 2010 AP "fact check" *** Everything old is new again
* Yesterday's best comment
* *** UPDATED x2 - Rauner response - Quinn response *** The strange case of Barry Saacks
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Today's cable TV buys
* Rate Pat Quinn's new Latino ad
* *** UPDATED x2 - IDOC responds *** Rauner going all-in on prison-related issues
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: TV ads, cable buy, mailers
* Good morning!

* Google Now adds card to track lowest flight fares
        * Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter casts media to larger screens
        * Verizon DROID Turbo details get leaked, Moto S cover appears
        * You can have your pie app and eat it too with Pie Control
        * Notion home intelligence system makes home alarms smarter
        * DisplayPort comes to USB Type-C cable, will land on future phones
        * Cortana could be spreading across Europe soon

* Contour ROAM3 Can Survive 30 Feet Underwater
        * Samsung Gear S Arriving In The U.S. This Fall
        * Internet Connected Drones From Facebook (Rumor)
        * Gadget Delivery Startup Could Be Launched By Former Apple Retail Chief
        * Nintendo Announces New Translucent Nintendo 2DS Consoles
        * iPhone 6 Plus Melts In The Face Of Thermite
        * Moto 360 Bootloader Unlocked

* Tigers 4, White Sox 3: Panic in Detroit, briefly
        * Konerko's final games a time of reflection
        * John Danks can finish seasons again