Today’s quote

Friday, Jul 19, 2013

* Rep. Monique Davis (D-Chicago) told a Detroit radio station this week that she’s been hearing some Chicago police officers may be involved with some of the killings on her city’s South Side. I kid you not

“I’m going to tell you what some suspicions have been, and people have whispered to me: they’re not sure that black people are shooting all of these children,” Davis said. “There’s some suspicion – and I don’t want to spread this, but I’m just going to tell you what I’ve been hearing – they suspect maybe the police are killing some of these kids.”

When WBBM asked Davis if she thinks it’s possible that police are killing children, she said, “I don’t know. I don’t know that they are, and I don’t know that they aren’t, since no one’s been arrested. We don’t know who’s doing it.”

Chicago Police Department spokesman Adam Collins responded to Representative Davis’ comments:

“The men and women of Chicago Police Department work tirelessly every day to keep our city safe. These comments are so outrageous and baseless, that they do not merit any comment.”

Raw audio…

Discuss.

1. - OurMagician - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:20 am:

“I don’t want to spread this”

then don’t spread the rumor in the next sentence.

2. - bardo - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:21 am:

Just terrible. Shame on her.

3. - wow - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:24 am:

Reckless comments for not having any evidence.

4. - RonOglesby - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:24 am:

Scream that there is a war going on, children are getting killed, and cops aren’t doing anything…

Then go on a radio show and publicly say “I dont want to spread this” But… uh… it may be COPS killing these kids. Further fostering US v THEM and no-snitching.

Wonder why we have a problem in Chicago, THIS is part of it. “Leaders” fostering the very thing they hate.

5. - Lincoln Parker - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:26 am:

Wow, she has truly lost it.

6. - Huh? - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:26 am:

Why is Ms. Davis talking to a radio station in Detroit about problems in Chicago?

7. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:28 am:

The 27th elected the representative it deserves.

8. - yepperdo - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:31 am:

All I can say is WOW

9. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:32 am:

In my best Chandler Bing voice: ” Could she BE more crazy?”

10. - low level - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:32 am:

@dope - No. It has nothing to do with those things and everything to do with many of the crazy ideas that Rep. Davis has had since she was first elected over 20 years ago.
    Many ex House Democratic staffers can attest to this.

Trying to tie any of it in to the Democratic Party as a whole is just dopey. Nice try, tho.

11. - Friedman - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:34 am:

Wow….were in the world did she come up with this story at? If she next claims that unicorns are knocking over banks I would rethink my vote.

12. - Amalia - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:34 am:

she should resign. now.

13. - trooper - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:35 am:

Maybe instead of spreading lies Rep Davis should go door to door and convince the witnesses to these murders to actually cooperate with CPD. Hard to make a case when “Nobody here saw nothin, right?”

14. - 10th ward - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:35 am:

How in the wide wide world of media, has no one jumped on this comment? She’s lost all touch with reality

15. - Lil Squeezy - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:36 am:

You could give Monique a pass on some of the crazy things she says if she was active and working hard to benefit her community.

TheDopefromHope, if you knew Monique you would know this has nothing to do with Trayvon Martin. I know it must hurt you to hear that, but this has everything to do with Monique.

16. - Sgt Schultz - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:39 am:

“We don’t know who’s doing it.”

This remarks purposely perpetuates the racial divide. It makes me sick. She knows d*mn well what’s going on and needs to work within the community to resolve it, not create more hatred and mistrust. We ALL need to work together.

17. - Darienite - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:40 am:

When I watch Chicago Tonight, I’m sure Joel Weisman will bring it up —– right.

18. - Pat C - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:41 am:

Trying to tie any of it in to the Democratic Party as a whole

19. - c - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:41 am:

I bet fast eddie is involved then. wonder if shes gonna accuse him of it on the house floor.

20. - So. ILL - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:42 am:

She seriously suggested at one point that Illinois should legalize, regulate, and tax methamphetamine. Now she almost accuses Chicago cops of shooting and killing children. Next, she will have no opponent and continue to serve. Nothing to see here, Chicago.

21. - BDuty6 - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:42 am:

She’s a race baiting fool who should have never been put in a position to impact the lives of the citizens of Illinois. It’s long past time for that statue thief to get out of Springfield and fade away into history.

22. - Lil Squeezy - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:42 am:

And to the commenter who says 27th District deserves her, I hope you do not mean that. The 27th deserves a leader in the community. I don’t have enough time to explain to you how our political system can work to the detriment of the very people politicians are supposed to help. But that was a very nasty comment on your part. Keep those comments in the national news comments section.

23. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:43 am:

===Because, she has had so many primary challengers supported by the local party, but she just kept beating them, right? ===

Actually, she has. The 19th Ward tried for years and years to dislodge her. She beat them like a drum every time.

24. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:44 am:

===How in the wide wide world of media, has no one jumped on this comment?===

Um, dude, WBBM broke the story.

25. - 312 - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:45 am:

O.M.G. And nobody is going to run against her?

26. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:46 am:

===And nobody is going to run against her? ===

First, why would you assume that?

Second, check my comment at 9:43.

27. - Reader - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:46 am:

Is it possible that Monique Davis is the one actually shooting children on Chicago’s south side?…

I don’t know. I don’t know that she is, and I don’t know that she isn’t, since no one’s been arrested. We don’t know who’s doing it.

But don’t spread that rumor.

28. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:47 am:

Also, Sen. Trotter put up a pretty strong candidate against Davis a few years ago. She thumped him hard.

29. - Jaded - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:47 am:

Because she has been a state represenative for 26 years she will make more money the day she retires than she does as an active legislator. Maybe it’s time for someone to convince her she needs a raise and should resign.

30. - Mason born - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:54 am:

Wow. The scary thing is what Rich pointed out at 9:43. She says things like this from her own fantasy world and yet her district still finds her the representative of choice.

You know Rep. Davis CPD has this little thing called Internal Affairs for investigating this kind of thing. Do you think that maybe before you shoot your mouth off on radio you should have contacted them first??

31. - RonOglesby - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:55 am:

Why is it that every time I hear crazy comments from a crazy politician I think of the scene from Idiocracy where they show the house of representatives and what we have devolved into.

32. - CrookCounty60827 - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:55 am:

I think her tinfoil conspiracy hat is WAAAAAYYY too tight, especially in the heat!

33. - Chris - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:55 am:

@Reader:

You know, I heard somewhere that there is some suspicion – and I don’t want to spread this, but I’m just going to tell you what I’ve been hearing – they suspect maybe Monique Davis is killing some of these kids.

I think I need to tweet this, just to make sure that everyone knows I’m not spreading rumors.

Sheesh.

34. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:58 am:

Horrible to think, worse to think AND say…

To the thought of beating her in her district, it has been tried … others have failed … doesn’t mean she can’t be beat, but if you go about thinking this quote, or that statement, or her history should be enough, then you are going to fail.

Terribly dissappointing to hear, and who knows, one of these quotes will be the “last”… will have to see how her possible opponents try to parlay this misstep with other quotes this time to package a win against her.

35. - Dan S. - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:58 am:

Only in Illinois, you cannot make this stuff up.

36. - Dirty Red - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 9:59 am:

This is why we can’t have nice things.

37. - J. Nolan - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:02 am:

@Reader 9:46am. Hilarious…bout spit my drink out.

38. - phocion - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:02 am:

To those on the who tar the Republican party with every wacko comment one of their members make, would this mean that the entire Democratic Party should be burdened with this nonsense, too?

39. - MrJM - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:03 am:

Words… Words fail…

– MrJM

40. - Hank - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:04 am:

Nothing new here,she is just making it public. If you listen to WVON there have been callers pushing this on some of the talk shows for months now

41. - Jaded - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:04 am:

Oh and by the way, anybody who is shocked that she would think or say such a thing obviously does not know Monique Davis. This does not surprise me at all.

42. - Niles Township - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:07 am:

A great example of why our state can’t move forward in any way. One of the worst legislators out there. This is who is leading us, folks.

43. - Lulu - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:09 am:

Rich is right. The 19th ward tried to take her out a handful of times, once with Ed Maloney before he was elected to the senate. She subsequently moved into the 19th ward part of her district and — thanks to some mediation by the speaker, reached a truce with the 19th regulars. The ward organization then supported her against an Emil Jones backed primary challenge a few cycles ago.

44. - SO IL M - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:10 am:

She is just a symptom of the illness.

45. - MsCommons - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:13 am:

“My district has a serious trust issue with law enforcement. I have even heard reports that folks suspect police officers had something to do with the shooting deaths of these children. Now, there is absolutely not one shred of evidence to support such a claim, but the fact that people feel this way shows that we have a long way to go when it comes to citizens and police working together to find the real perpetrators and bring them to justice. I think we need to work harder to make building trust between the police and the communities they are sworn to protect a priority.”

There, I fixed that for ya, Rep. Davis.

46. - Levois - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:19 am:

I wonder how she’s able to stay in her seat. And for Sen. Trotter to put up a challenger, it shows her colleagues doesn’t even like her either. Even if Trotter resides in the upper chamber. These comments from Davis is a facepalm!

47. - PublicServant - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:20 am:

I just lifted this from her biography. It’s on the internet, so it must be true…

“received Dollars and Sense award for legislative excellence as one of the 100 best and brightest professionals in the country”

I’m not sure what the other 99 are doing, but I’m hoping you’ll find out Rich, since I’m a little bit concerned about them being mentioned in the same sentence as Ms. Davis. Thanks in advance.

48. - grand old partisan - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:21 am:

Full disclosure, my father was a 30+ year veteran of the CPD….

The only thing more outrageous than her comments is the CPD’s pathetic response. Rep. Davis is (unfortunately) an elected official, not some jerk off the street. Her statements, however baseless, don’t just merit comment – they demand it! I haven’t seen the FOP’s response yet, but I’d be shocked if it anything less than a full-throated call for a retraction/apology, if not resignation. The fact that the department hasn’t asked for at least the former will only further lower moral - which I didn’t even think was possible at this point.

49. - Century Club - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:25 am:

Phocion, there are two substantive differences between the comments that Rep Davis made and ones that Republicans are being ‘tarred’ with.

One - Rep. Davis is just a state rep, and she’s not in leadership in any way in the party. When US Senate candidates and sitting Congressmen make horrendous comments about women’s reproductive issues, it’s much more reasonable for that to be an issue for the party.

Second, the comments that Republicans have had to deal with have also reflected actual dogma of a significant wing of the party and are reflected by other actions of the party. When a US Senate candidate say’s he’s against abortion exceptions for rape and incest and uses some crazy justification, he is still asserting the actual plank of the Republican party platform. Rep. Davis is not asserting in any way something that correlates to the Democratic party platform.

50. - retired - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:25 am:

Why do you suppose she’s been called Unique Monique?

51. - schwartzee - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:27 am:

Even if you think it was an error in judgement for Rep. Davis to spread that rumor, is it so hard for people to accept that this may actually be how people in this particular community feel about the police? Many of us may have never been the victims of profiling, or police brutality, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t very real. If you saw this kind of thing happen from your front stoop every day, it might not be an illogical leap. Perhaps her comment says more about the problems between the community and the police in her district than it does about her mental state.

52. - Gathersno - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:30 am:

I never thought I’d be missing Senator Ralph Smith

53. - oneman - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:32 am:

other things she pointed out in the interview

-. She has heard we didn’t land on the moon
    - some say the earth is not round
    - She really did not want to spread this one but Rod and Pat are just different models of a populist robot developed by three people in Riverdale

54. - RonOglesby - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:40 am:

@Shwartzee

Really? You are going to back that type of remark. This the same exact community that has a no snitching policy right?

Come on. “Cops are killing these kids that is why no one has been caught!” No, its not the no snitching thing. Its not the failure of families. No.. before it was a blanket “everyone else’s fault” now its specific and that is not gunna fly.

Hell I think last demographics for the CPD had 29 or 30% of the force as Black and like 20% as hispanic. Slightly less than 50%… So these folks making up these rumors are just trying to deflect blame from their own community and some how its a police department that is 50% minority that is killing the minority kids?

get over it. She’s a kook.

55. - Mason born - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:42 am:

@schwartzee

If that is the case then shouldn’t she be taking steps, using her authority, to investigate the problems?? Why isn’t she calling for a ISP investigation of CPD actions in her district?? She isn’t some Monigue Davis resident she has authority to do something. If there is any evidence that the police in her area are abusing citizens and mishandling investigations in her district she has a duty to do something.

56. - Mongo - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:45 am:

So sad, but something we have come to expect from Representative Davis…off the wall, threats, innuendo, lacking a connection to reality.

Reader was great, so was GOP.

This representative needs to go.

57. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:50 am:

This woman has officially jumped the shark.

58. - ILPundit - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:50 am:

@MrJm:

I believe your reply is not only awesome, but has highlighted the need for Rich to update his commenting system so as to incorporate the full use of GIFs and image files. It really would help take this place to the next level.

59. - susiejones - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:57 am:

oh my gosh, she needs to check herself into someplace that can help her with whatever it is that is going inside of her head. I have heard off the wall things come out of her mouth before, but this is an outrage–I don’t want to spread this rumor–ha! shameful.

60. - Former Merit Comp Slave - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:57 am:

Full disclosure here also 30 years in law enforcement. No matter how bad community/cops relationship is there is NO excuse for such a statement. Provide proof or shut up. Would love to see national media jump on this and yea FOP will have a cow. I’m beyond shocked

61. - Demoralized - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:58 am:

@schwartzee:

Are you serious? You seriously think it’s not illogical for her to come to such a conclusion? I’m so dumbfounded by your comment that I don’t even know how to respond.

62. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 10:59 am:

I missed the memo… did CPD suddenly begin importing officers from Brazil?

Or is Ms. Davis finally “losing it” for real?

63. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:02 am:

In general, the only “children” Chicago police officers kill are those who point guns at them.

64. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:03 am:

outrageous, but par for ms monique.

this deserves greater attention from the media, the public, and other public officials.

65. - ILPundit - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:05 am:

Anybody truly shocked by this comment has never really met Monique

66. - Fed up - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:11 am:

Ms Davis has put the lives of Chicago police officers at risk. Also by doing so she has increased the possibility for a questionable shooting in Chicago. Police officers want to go home at the end of the day like everyone else. Having a so called leader in the community harm relations with this BS is appaling.

67. - train111 - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:21 am:

The interesting this here is that there is a remarkable amount of similarity between left-wing inner city politicians and right-wing rural politicians.
    Both come up with some seriously tin foil hat wackadoodle conspiracy theories to give a simple and easy explanation for what’s going on in their neck of the woods.
    Davis’ rants are no more goofy than some of the downstate reps’ rants about Chicago and how evil it is.
    Pot meet kettle

68. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:23 am:

Monique is the Paula Deen of Illinois politics.

69. - Madison - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:24 am:

This comment is proof positive about what ive been saying all along about how we need more, not less access to psychiatric care north of I-80. We have medications that will lessen the paranoid symptoms she is experiencing.

70. - Wensicia - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:26 am:

Ms Davis should investigate immediately! Who is issuing police badges to neighborhood gang-bangers?

71. - Rollo Tomasi - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:31 am:

Is she related to Al Sharpton? Maybe she could investigate this just like OJ is still looking for his ex-wife’s killer(s).

72. - low level - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:40 am:

For those unawares the 19th Ward in Chicago is home to many many firefighters and police officers. How in the world MJM negotiated a truce back in the day I never could figure.

With this, though, man. Maybe her son Robert is ready to take the seat? If they cant beat him and he wants it.

73. - low level - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:43 am:

Sorry, I mean, if she can’t be beat in the primary, maybe the truce can be amended so that Robert can take it? If he wants it even??

74. - Jake From Elwood - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 11:58 am:

Monique, Monique…wear your tinfoil like a suit of armor.

75. - Biker - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 12:07 pm:

Speaking of Detroit, I know it ain’t Illinois, but a bankruptcy filing is big news, we gunna cover that Monday Rich? Have a great weekend!

76. - 10th ward - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 12:10 pm:

@Rich I meant NATIONAL media, my mistake and @ FMCS, I agree! Let’s see what MSNBC and CNN do with this. Pretty sure Fox will be on it

77. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 12:10 pm:

===we gunna cover that Monday Rich? ===

Nope. You can find plenty of other places where you can compare Illinois to Detroit. This ain’t one of them because the comparison is ridiculous. Even the Tribune editorial board won’t go that far, which tells you something.

78. - Century Club - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 12:22 pm:

–Even the Tribune editorial board won’t go that far, which tells you something.–

Give it time, Rich. Give it time.

79. - LisleMike - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 1:00 pm:

Were I the CPD, I would express a demand for the Cook Cty states attorney to subpoena Rep Davis for an inquiry into this allegation. I would make such a fuss about it that Rep Davis would have to respond to all what she knows, how she knows, and watch it fall apart in front of the public. Ms Davis certainly has a penchant for publicity, given her statements during CCW discussions in ILGA. What a pita she is. Not responding with hard questions and demands for specifics only allows her to get away with more of this grnadstanding/lying tactic. C’mon CPD! Call her bluff!

80. - Plutocrat03 - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 1:26 pm:

Monique is the Paula Deen of Illinois politics

Note that Dean made her comments decades ago. Monique is saying this stuff now!

81. - dupage dan - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

Hey, populism works if you know your audience. Davis knows her audience.

82. - MM - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 2:58 pm:

What chances do you think a moderate, socially Libertarian leaning Republican would have at beating her? Someone who wants to bring jobs and business to these communities.

83. - Just The Way It Is One - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 3:40 pm:

Ugh–yet another conspiracy theory gone bad. Cops are hardly perfect, and there HAVE indeed been a few pretty bad ones along the way (e.g’s: Jon Burge tortures for many years to somewhere around 200 victims to elicit confessions, Anthony Abbate beating the living dickens out of a poor, innocent female bartender). And an accidental shot is fired errantly, but as an unusual exception. The problem with the Rep.’s remarks is that she makes it sound like some deliberate approach, some regular, ongoing event to intentionally shoot at people to murder or seriously maim them–sorry, but that’s just way too much out in left field…!

Shouldn’t she and her colleagues in the Legislature be working arduously and seekins solutions on the PENsion Crisis, instead, so they can start REAlly earning their paychecks on behalf of the Citizens of Illinois?!

84. - Ghost - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 3:42 pm:

===Even the Tribune editorial board won’t go that far…===

hmmm I see a line of “What would the TEB do” t-shirts and bumper stickers…

85. - Just The Way It Is One - Friday, Jul 19, 13 @ 3:45 pm:

That was meant to read “seeking” and not “seekins” above. Thank you!

* A grand good morning to you all!
* Late, late poll... Who won the debate?

* Apple Looking to Produce More iPhone 6 Plus Units Due to Strong Demand in China
        * Grab a Lumia and be a winner this Diwali
        * iOS 8.1: 'Text Message Forwarding' Activation Requires iMessage Email Address
        * Spotify Family gives discount for multiple accounts
        * iOS 8.1, Apple Pay, Google’s Gmail 5.0, Microsoft smartwatch & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Royals and Giants Stadiums to Accept Apple Pay for Concessions During World Series
        * Nexus Player back on pre-order, Nexus 6 starts October 29

* New iOS Apps Will Have To be 64-bit From February
        * Oppo N3 Camera Module Exploded View Reveals More Details
        * Xbox One Digital TV Tuner Launches In The UK For £24.99 (video)
        * Co-founder of ThinkUp, Gina Trapani [Cool Tools Show #12]
        * How to Get More Out of Facebook Ads
        * Suncast Lawn & Garden Cart
        * Apple Increases iPhone 6 Plus Orders Again

* Following same path as '59 White Sox, KC eyes title
        * larry's Offseason Plan
        * Abreu wins Sporting News' AL Rookie of the Year honors
        * Jose Abreau wins the Sporting News AL Rookie of the Year
        * Jose Abreu wins the Sporting News AL Rookie of the Year
        * Lost in Isolation: A White Sox fan abroad.
        * Lost in Isolation: A White Sox fan abroad