Welcome to the machine

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013

* Dave McKinney took a look at House Speaker Michael Madigan’s 2012 nominating petitions and found that Patrick Ward was one of 30 circulators. Ward was at the center of the Metra controversy. Madigan tried to help him get a raise, and when the agency’s top dog balked all heck eventually broke loose. Ward ended up with a state job that appears to have been created especially for him.

Anyway, Ward wasn’t the only one of the 30 circulators who had a patronage job

As many as 29 of the 30 people work or previously worked in government; a dozen acknowledge working for local governments. Another 17 appear either to currently be getting a government paycheck or to have been as of last year, based on payroll records that match their names and dates of birth or home addresses.

More about the circulators

◆ In many case hold jobs for which politics isn’t supposed to be a factor in hiring, including sanitation laborer, plumber, truck driver, cashier and court reporter.

◆ Collectively were being paid roughly $2 million a year in their government jobs as of 2012.

◆ In some instances — Ward, for example — are drawing a government paycheck and a public pension.

◆ Contributed more than $200,000 altogether to political funds for Madigan or his daughter, Attorney General Lisa Madigan.

◆ Work for arms of government including the Cook County sheriff’s office, the Chicago Department of Water Management, the City Council Committee on Finance, the Illinois Department of Transportation, the CTA, the Cook County recorder of deeds and the state comptroller’s office.

Discuss.

1. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:23 am:

Not shocked, of course, but appreciate the journalistic legwork and deep-dive into records.

2. - Bogart - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:26 am:

“I am shocked, shocked I say, to hear there is politics involved in state hiring and promotions.” In my day, precinct captains, I mean volunteers, walked the blocks in wind, rain and sleet out of their selfless and genuine desire to participate in the electoral process to ensure only the most suitable citizens earn a seat in government.

3. - dupage dan - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:28 am:

OK, so MJM figured out how to massage the system. As my father has said - “tell me something I don’t know”.

4. - Nosmo King - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:30 am:

This story is b.s. in my opinion. It is an attempt to “criminalize” the political process by suggesting there is a mandatory “quid pro quo” between collecting signatures and political favoritism.

Public servants are often political people. Some like the political process, including the art of collecting signatures, and convincing voters to participate in the electoral process. Why the media, especially the Sun Times, want to make participating in this process a “dirty” thing, is beyond me. There is a fundamental right to do volunteer work for the people who represent us in the government. People gravitate to power. Be fair and look at ALL petition circulators for all races, Dem and Republican alike. I would bet more are on the public payroll than not.

5. - hisgirlfriday - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:32 am:

Did a doubletake for a second reading that article’s mention of Robert, presumably Bob, GROGAN circulating petitions for Madigan and working for Jesse White.

But man… An 75,000 pension from the county on top of an 85,000 state salary?

Do any of the pension reform proposals stop stuff like that from happening? I feel bad for all the run of the mill government workers who are going to see their pensions cut because of the avarice of all the clouted double dippers.

6. - Plutocrat03 - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:35 am:

“attempt to “criminalize” the political process”

Using public money for private gain is supposed to be an illegal act. However, when you have clever pols involved, you can argue what the meaning is is. That said, this is Illinois (and perhaps elsewhere) politics.

The corruption tax appears to be large enough to be getting noticed these days.

7. - Spliff - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:36 am:

So the speaker has been in office since the state was gounded and yet only had 30 circulators? wow that’s power. Most legislators have gotten a heck of a lot more people jobs than that.

8. - David P. Graf - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:36 am:

Rich,
    I have the feeling that you are not on Madigan’s list of good friends and buddies. Keep up the good work!

9. - Alonso - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:37 am:

Is there anybody anywhere who believes Madigan doesn’t engage in this sort of behavior?

“Somehow”, Madigan’s son in law ended up as Chief of Staff at Metra, where he’s been the subject of harassment complaints but still somehow keeps his job.

I just don’t see how this is newsworthy.

10. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:39 am:

Only 29 of the 30? Not a “perfect” 30?

To the Post,

Organization is not a dirty word. Connecting dots to assit who assit “you” should not be treated with distain, just because on its face, it looks suspicious.

If the circulators did the volunteering on their own time, I have no beef with that. Where are those seeking office suppose to find their circulators, the phone book? Are those seeking office suppose to trust getting on the ballot to those not skilled at getting signatures?

I guess we also don’t look at this as part of the dance that is danced. You want a letter of recommendation, be around the Ward Office. You don’t want a letter, then don’t show up there.

Doing their job, qualified for the job, getting preferece for a job is not the question for me here. It isn’t even the issue for me here. I read this as an organization built where all sides have mutual interests.

11. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:40 am:

Madigan didn’t invent the patronage system, but he may have perfected it. None of these volunteers were coerced, and my guess is that no one will prove a quid pro quo, but it’s pretty clear: if you help the Speaker, the Speaker will help you.

And that’s what the FBI can never understand-that what Madigan and the organization offer is employment for the kinds of guys who can’t get hired on their own. They’re like the Employment Agency for wiseguys.

12. - Bogart - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:46 am:

Reminds me of the time someone was sent to me for a job and I told the sponsor, “the guy has no qualifications or skills”. The sponsor replied, “If he could get a job on his own, I would not need you.”

13. - Nosmo King - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:49 am:

47th Ward–

Who says they “can’t get hired on their own”? That’s bunk. Please name one of the circulators that is not “qualified” to hold the job they have? Please refrain from slandering people you don’t know.

And let me be clear, I don’t know them either. But to suggest they are un-employable is fundamentally unfair.

14. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:53 am:

–I just don’t see how this is newsworthy.–

The assumptions don’t always add up. For the past year or so, some bloviating columnists, vapid TV talking heads and cynical politicians have been going on and on about Chicago’s “record” and “unprecedented” murder rate. None of the hype withstood scrutiny.

15. - RonOglesby - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:55 am:

Because its probably kind of ‘dirty’ to most of us peasants out here? Just as Rich mentioned a job created out of thin air for a “supervisor position” that has no one to supervise…

I agree that leg work on political campaigns done one personal time is no biggie. But people collecting one pension, getting put right back into another job, or fired from one, moved to the next, always with the hook that they have a political sugar daddy looks pretty “dirty” to the rest of us peons out here.

Too many of us in Illinois and Chicago just write this off as how it is. But just because its how it is, doesn’t make it right.

16. - RonOglesby - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:57 am:

That previous post, first sentence I was quoting the Nosmo King comment…

17. - Ghost - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:58 am:

On a side note, its nice to see we have a few invetigative political reporters left (besides Rich of course :)). This trend of papers firing their reporters and relying on the AP has always been a bit alarming to me.

18. - PoolGuy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:00 am:

good one 47th Ward. lol

19. - MrJM - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:00 am:

Too rich for my blood. What’s the goin’ rate for 12 signatures on a precinct committeeman’s petition?

– MrJM

20. - Alonso - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:01 am:

Wordslinger with regard to your comment “It’s important to, on occasion, test assumptions by engaging in real journalism and reporting the facts. In the this case, the facts bear out widely held assumptions.”

It has been reported that Jordan M still has a job. Isn’t that all the evidence you need?

On the bright side, eventually Metra will find the right training course so that he can learn to work and play well with others.

So, it is not a total waste of our tax dollars.

21. - ANALYST - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:02 am:

It is reasonable for many people to seek out and work for someone they respect and want to support, including the extra effort it may take after their regular work time.It’s not always about patronage.

22. - CircularFiringSquad - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:03 am:

Wonder if the BGA checked circulators of any GOPies, DuPage powerbrokers, Bill Brady or D-Lard?

The story fails to note if any of the workers had anything other than an outstanding work record? Instead find a rather tiny amount of contributions and no record that the contributions or the political work factored into the jobs.
    Wonder why Sun Times uses these lobbyists “research”? Its free.

23. - Sir Reel - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:07 am:

This patronage is dumbing down government and costing taxpayers. While not always the case, patronage employees are usually less qualified. Their allegiance is usually to their “patron” instead of their agency much less taxpayers. They seem to be promoted first, ending up in positions above their abilities.

Nosmo King will refute these assertions but I bet his/her goal is to maintain the system instead of making government more effective and efficient.

24. - Nosmo King - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:11 am:

Sir Reel-

I won’t attempt to refute what you believe. I just ask for proof that the people you mentioned are “less qualified”. Just because you believe it doesn’t make it fact.

25. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:12 am:

Did any enterprising reporter check the list of circulators against the City of Chicago clout list that was published during the Robert Sorich trial?

26. - walkinfool - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:14 am:

Glad McKinney did the work.

Surprised the number is so small. The traditional ways seem to be disappearing. That is generally a good thing for a more perfect world.

I have seen such “politically connected” people both obviously overqualified and underqualified for their current jobs — just like in any big company.

27. - Snucka - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:16 am:

To the point of “only” 30 circulators: If the each get 35 signatures, which should be easy, that is the maximum that a state rep can file. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the Speaker’s political organization is efficient.

28. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:18 am:

Alonso, I’m always in favor of more evidence. Too many fact-free assumptions about.

For example, here’s proof of a Madigan Machine.

Yet you still hear some refer to a “Chicago Machine” as if Richard J. were still alive pulling all the strings in a monolithic Democratic organization. That doesn’t exist and hasn’t for some time.

29. - regular democrat - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:28 am:

Lets not lose perspective here. The republicans are also very well versed at this also. Madigan probably has the last of the old school organizations where loyalty still counts. I have seen many professional people over the years who have advanced degrees and could easily work in the private sector but somewhere along the way get bit by the political bug and really enjoy working precincts. Its no illegal nor is it immoral and having loyalty to a political party or person should be commended.

30. - Tequila Mockingbird - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:37 am:

Interesting read but I have filed this in the “water is wet” category. Until the voter wake up and take all control of the state out of the hands of a few Chicago machine big wheels, it ain’t gonna change.

31. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:44 am:

===Until the voter wake up and take all control of the state out of the hands of a few Chicago machine big wheels, it ain’t gonna change.===

What does that mean?

If MJM was in the Minority, then the 29 circulators would not be in the positions they are?

Yikes!

32. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:52 am:

–Until the voter wake up and take all control of the state out of the hands of a few Chicago machine big wheels, it ain’t gonna change.–

No more patronage then? That would be a big change in an Illinois tradition as old as dirt.

Back in the day, you had to go to Doc Adams or Bill Cellini to get a state job.

33. - A guy... - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:56 am:

Here I’ve collected tens of thousands of signatures over the years for free. No job, no pension in return. That being said, every public employee I know who collects petitions does so without any coercion out of loyalty to a candidate or the party. There’s a story here, but I’m not sure it’s a big story. Everyone’s circulators usually have some connection to the candidate.

34. - Ghost - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 11:57 am:

=== Until the voter wake up and take all control of the state out of the hands of a few Chicago machine big wheels, it ain’t gonna change. ===

I think that concept is niave. There will always be a few people who direct activites in government. Voting would change who is pulling the reigns, but there will always be reigns and somone pulling them.

That actually sums up the problem the GOP has had taking back the State. They are so busy fighting over the reigns and making sure only the right people take control, that no one effectively has control of the ride.

Then again, if you only want one specific type of horse on your team, your not going to have a lot of horses to handle to begin with….

35. - A guy... - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 12:09 pm:

Ghost, those who “reign” have the “reins”.

36. - NW Illinois Democrat - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 12:11 pm:

term limits, term limits, term limits.

37. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 12:19 pm:

=== And that’s what the FBI can never understand-that what Madigan and the organization offer is employment for the kinds of guys who can’t get hired on their own ===

I think that the problem with these “hit” stories are that they all make the assumption that the employee in question is a doofus or is in some way unqualified. Its a little ironic that the guy at the center of all this, Pat Ward, seems to be a pretty well qualified guy, yet very few here acknowledge this to be the case. Previous reports of the story indicate he has plenty of education and experience for his position:

=== CMS officials noted the labor relations officer worked 25 years in the city of Chicago’s personnel department and has a master’s degree.===

I think in any place of employment, public or private, there are going to be some unqualified people — but I think that you will find that most public employees are very knowledgable about their jobs and serve the public well. This goes for the front line workers as well as the “exempt” employees that are a part of administration.

If the whole point of this exercise is to take a shot at the Speaker, then do it. Don’t drag people through the mud in doing it without having any real concept of their knowledge, experience, or job qualifications. Many in the media do not seem interested in following that principle.

38. - Ghost - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 12:43 pm:

yeah I caught that after I hit enter /sigh I no I picked the wrong word two make that point :)

39. - funny guy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:46 pm:

And this doesn’t happen in the private sector?

40. - Nosmo King - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:56 pm:

Anonymous @ 12:19

You are spot on and eloquently stated the point I was trying to make earlier.

In a parallel universe, I can envision a story about Joe Blow who works for “Fill in the Blank, Inc” circulated petitions for the 13th Ward. Hmmm, I wonder what Joe Blow’s company is getting from the speaker in reward for his efforts.

Simply put, unless Mr. Madigan circulates his own petitions, anyone involved with his organization is going to be held in contempt.

41. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:57 pm:

Excellent, excellent work by Dave in taking a complex web, following it, and laying it all out in clear fashion.

In many ways, he just provided the public a quick peek behind the curtain.

Imagine if we got a better gander.

It can be tedious wading through all those documents and paperwork before connecting the dots. Classic journalism by McKinney.

42. - Teddy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:42 pm:

Remember when newspapers reported the news , not make it up ? How about you stick to your job, and stop harassing me and my family for your scoop . Last time I checked there is nothing wrong with helping out a candidate.

43. - John Galt - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:50 pm:

It does happen in the private sector, but at least there you’re not forced to pay for it.

To be fair though, some basic level of patronage doesn’t particularly bother me. The key question for me is competence in the government position. If the person is hitting the threshold for competence in the job, then I’m not going to care if they want to knock out precincts on their boss’s behalf in their off hours. What I think is bad news is:

1) If it’s done on the government dime/time, which is taxpayer subsidized politicking, which is illegal, or

2) The person is unqualified for the job and shouldn’t be there, which is significantly diminishing the quality of government services.

But if the person shows up on time and is competent in their government job AND doesn’t discriminate on the job based on a patron’s/taxpayer’s political status, then I don’t particularly care if they are in the political game too.

44. - steve schnorf - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 3:24 pm:

So the revelation here is that people with government jobs circulate petitions? Amazing! The next thing you know we’ll hear is that they walk precincts at election time!! Or that they donate to candidates!!! My God, the audacity!

45. - Karen - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 3:28 pm:

These reporters are always trying to dig up dirt because they hate Mike Madigan. Well I don’t hate Mike Madigan because I know him, and that’s why I’ve knockef on doors and passed petitions for him. Have these people ever met him? He’s a nice guy who’s always been nice to me and appreciated my help. I thought reporters were supposed to be fair and unbiased, not pick out targets because they din’t like him.

46. - shore - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 3:58 pm:

In fairness to madigan, every single elected official in the country has donors/supporters kids working as interns, in many cases paid in their offices.

47. - Ron Williams - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 4:21 pm:

Now I am being harassed because I passed a petition for Mike Madigan. I have never been pressured to do so and have done it on my own time. I wonder why they didn’t include that fact even though it doesn’t fit the story they want to tell. These people don’t get it . Not everything is a scandal. Why don’t you go report some real news and leave me alone.

48. - johnny o - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 5:02 pm:

these “reporters” just can’t stand that mike madigan outlasts and outsmarts everyone so they have to manufacture stories and theories to hurt working people like me. yes, i passed petitions for mike madigan because i wanted to. i was not forced too. can we expect these reporters to review the petitions of every other politician in illinois now? it would only be fair. if not, they’re nothing but a bunch of elitists with an agenda!!

49. - reformer - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 5:09 pm:

The list of Republican governors and legislative leaders who did not engage in patronage is how big? That’s right, it’s zero.

50. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 5:57 pm:

Lo and behold, the Madigan apologists appear from the woodwork.

51. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 7:09 pm:

With respect,

On this blog, an “issue” like this is going to be seen by those who have done ANY campaign work as a “ho hum” and “pedestrian”. I know I do.

What are they apologizing for? If they got the signatures on their own time, I have no beef. Organizations are built on loyalty, and if the Speaker has loyal foot soldiers who go out and get signatures, good on him.

The rest, I point to my Post above.

This is probably one of very few blogs that are savy enough to understand what is at play here with these 29 of 30, and also understand the “news” angle, but reality, here, this is not Earth shattering, nor is it frowned upon if done within the parameters of legality of work/day off, etc..

52. - Anonymouse - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 8:09 pm:

I’m sure Rich will have some thoughts on this in tomorrow’s posts, but it looks like McKinney’s story got to the Speaker at least a little: http://www.suntimes.com/23422953-761/madigan-accuses-bgas-andy-shaw-of-agenda-to-impugn-the-democratic-party.html

53. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 9:13 pm:

Perhaps I am bitter or jaded for some reason tonight, Oswego.

Is this earth shattering? Absolutely not.

But it seems awfully coincidental that so many of those good people doing the leg work just happen to have connections to jobs in government.

The fact that 97% (29 of 30) of the petition passers work or worked in government is an awfully high percentage in a state with such a diverse economy.

Especially with the glowing comments that popped up expressing the sentiment that Speaker Madigan is such an inspiring leader that people just can’t wait to get up and go get signatures for him.

Such an incredible and prolific leader would surely attract more than 1 person outside of government willing to collect signatures for him.

Wouldn’t he?

54. - TMAC - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 10:12 pm:

I’ve passed a petition for Mike Madigan, I’ve passed petition for Mike Madigan for years. I was never pressured to do it. Interesting that they only report the “facts” that arer convenient for their story. They never report that I qork hard for my family and that I support Mike Madiganin my own free time. Last I checked we still live in America where I’m free to do this in my own time. I wonder when the article on other Illinois politicians will be published or if they’re only going to focus on Mike Madigan.

* Wunderlist 3: faster sync,pro features,public lists
        * Message to IT from Mac users: Tread lightly
        * HP’s Gilt-Exclusive Smartwatch Puts Fashion FIrst
        * Verizon G Pad 8.3 finally gets Android 4.4.2 KitKat
        * Market responds to Iliad’s T-Mobile buyout offer: TMUS value climbs, Sprint and Iliad values fall
        * An epic journey to Mount Everest with Stephen Alvarez and Lumia
        * Verizon Galaxy S5 update could break root access

* If You're Not Satisfied with a Project, Leave it Out of Your Portfolio
        * Use Canned Responses to Create Multiple Email Signatures in Gmail
        * TouchPico Handheld Projector Transforms Any Surface Into A Touchscreen (video)
        * Build Your Own Backyard DIY Dunk Bucket
        * Ninja Sphere Smart Home Hub Up For Pre-order
        * Hulu Plus app for Android Updated with more Free Content
        * SnapPiCam Raspberry Pi Powered Digital Camera Kit (video)

* July struggles bury Dayan Viciedo, Gordon Beckham
        * AL Central trade deadline wrapup
        * White Sox 7, Tigers 4: Returning home in one piece
        * Abreu's hit streak reaches 20 with first-inning single
        * Ventura loses replay challenge in ninth inning
        * White Sox take series while Detroit deals