Mid-morning precinct reports

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014

* There have been scattered problems reported in Chicago’s voting so far this morning. A handful of precincts in formerly powerful Democratic bastions haven’t had enough polling judges to open. Those wards include 32, 35, 23 and 4, which is the home of Toni Preckwinkle’s South Side organization. The failure to open has caused at least one legislative challenger to hint darkly of conspiracy…

* But the Chicago Board of Elections says this had nothing to do with any conspiracy. Sometimes, judges just don’t show up

With reports of some polling stations opening more than an hour late Tuesday, officials with the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners were considering the relatively rare step of going to court to force those precincts to stay open late.

“People should still count on the polls closing at 7 p.m.,” said Jim Allen, spokesman for the election board. “However, there may be isolated incidents where we go to court and say that because polling places weren’t open or because they had difficulty getting equipment set up on time, or because judges arrived late or were not in attendance, we may have to go into court and ask that those particular precincts remain open a little bit longer.”

Allen said he had no reason to believe the delays were intentional, and election officials were still trying to determine how many precincts were affected.

* The Tribune has a piece on light Chicago turnout and heavier suburban turnout

Business was more brisk at a polling place at Good Shepherd Evangelical Lutheran Church in Downers Grove. An election judge there said turnout was better than expected. […]

There was a small line of people waiting to vote at a polling place at St. John Lutheran Church in Darien.

“It’s been pretty busy, people come and go,” said election judge Marion Maida.

Andy Wrona, 32, of Darien said he voted mainly because his wife is a teacher. “The tough talk against unions made me come out and vote for a certain candidate,” he said.

* What’s going on in your neck of the woods?

1. - Snucka - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:13 am:

To the morning post RE: Brady being at Hugo’s last night… The best thing a candidate can do on Monday Night is go to dinner while his staff preps Election Day. I’ve worked with more than one candidate who would have been better off at a bar, or a spa, or bed… anywhere except his own HQ that night.

2. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:13 am:

Harmon’s crew had signs up for him, Preckwinkle, Sercye and some judge candidate at Longfellow School and Longfellow Center in Oak Park.

I was the tenth GOP voter at 6:30 a.m. People were filing in when I was there. Cookies were oatmeal raisin, homemade.

3. - Metro East - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:17 am:

I live in one of the larger precincts in the area. From what I recall turnout seemed low. I am always around voter 30 or 40 and I was #14 this morning at 7:45 or so. As far as signs go - there was a Blizzard of Grogan signs. A couple Rauner. 1 solitary Truax. A few local candidates.

4. - SAP - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:18 am:

Turnout close to double in my precinct in Sherman when I voted this AM.

5. - Anon - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:19 am:

My Rep is Barb Wheeler. At 6:40 I was number 4. 2 Dillard signs. Everything else local.

6. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:21 am:

I am late with my “9 am” numbers…

Very little movement, drove past a few polling places while getting coffee.

7. - Grandson of Man - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:24 am:

I apparently live in the “Berrios” part of the legislative district, as I have seen a lot of Toni Berrios signs and only a few Guzzardi signs. I saw more Guzzardi signs further east in the district.

I saw a lot of signs in different locations of the city for a judicial candidate with the surname Gallagher.

8. - Democrat Grrrl - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:28 am:

I was voter #23 at my 19th ward precinct at 9:15am. No signs for any statewide candidates, R or D. No passers.

9. - Team America - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:32 am:

I voted at 6:15 am at Lamb’s Farm in Libertyville and ran into State Rep. Ed Sullivan and his dad planting signs. I was #16 at the machine. I’m presuming turnout will be light all day, which is a bit surprising to me given the heat of the governor’s race.

10. - Lackofoptions - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:34 am:

I was ballot 121 in Sherman IL about a hour ago.

11. - Ben L - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:38 am:

Insane that Travis thinks problems in the 4th Ward are a conspiracy…against her. The 4th ward is a strong hold for Mitchell. He wants maximum turnout there.

12. - Bluefish - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:40 am:

I was voter #27 at 7:45 in my DuPage precinct. That about normal based on past experience.

13. - Chigal - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:40 am:

In Chicago’s 29th Ward (Austin/Galewood), there was one polling place where judges were locked out until 7:15 a.m. because no one had a key. The election supervisor called the Board of Elections and asked for direction. One of the commissioners apparently helpfully advised the supervisor — who is also a cop and an attorney –to “break in” to get polling rolling. The supervisor — equally helpfully — advised the commissioner very tartly to go do something physically impossible to himself.

A key showed up in short order.

14. - Skeptic - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:43 am:

I was voter #9 at 7:30 (but it’s a teeny-tiny precinct.) They might get 20 or 30 more the rest of the day.

I doubt any conspiracy with the election judges…they’re just folks after all, and some times folks can’t get out of bed at 0-Dark:30 to get to the polling place that early.

15. - From the 'Dale to HP - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:47 am:

Sixth voter in my 1st Ward precinct @ about 8:30. No signs of anyone or anything other than a few signs. Considering the number of uncontested races (pretty much all of them), not that surprised.

16. - Rahm's Parking Meter - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:51 am:

Now I voted early, and my area is uncontested (Chicago Ward 46), but there is NO activity whatsoever on the Lakefront.

17. - amateurs - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:54 am:

If Travis knows this isn’t a conspiracy but is trying to drive up protest voters, perhaps a good move. But she probably doesn’t and this is a knee jerk reaction. As BenL says, the 4th Wd is a base for Mitchell. Voter suppression is a stretch, but if it’s happening, it would be elsewhere.

18. - frustrated GOP - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:55 am:

I was number 3 at 6:50 this morning.

19. - OneMan - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:56 am:

Party breakdown normal so far, about normal primary turnout in my pct in Aurora.

20. - Ward 35 Schlub - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:58 am:

At 9 AM I was voter no. 9 in my precinct in the 40th IL House district. There were 20 Andrade/Arroyo(?) passers standing everywhere around the polling place - EXCEPT NEAR THE ENTRANCE. None of the passers tried to talk to me or hand me lit, I guess you get what you pay for.

21. - Frosty-The Snowman - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:58 am:

I live in a small lightly-populated rural precinct south of I-80. So far for our precinct, turnout is twice what it was back in 2011 by 9:30 AM. There are also more registered Democrats than Republicans in our precinct. However, as of 9:30 AM today there have been two Republican ballots pulled for every one Democrat ballot.

22. - Blago's Hare - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 9:59 am:

Oops, I forgot today was the Primary. I’d better catch a flight back from Florida and go vote.

23. - Skeptic - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:03 am:

@Ward 35: Around here you can’t campaign, talk about candidates, hand out literature, etc. within 100′ of the polling place. In fact once a lady came in to vote with a campaign button on her purse, and we (the election judges) made her take it off and conceal it. So if those people were in the polling place, by not doing anything, they were doing exactly what they were legally allowed to do — watch.

24. - BradySupporter - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:07 am:

Turnout has been good down here in Williamson County. Nice weather has been contributing to it.

25. - CapnCrunch - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:07 am:

There were 96 R ballots and 4D votes at 9:45 in Cunningham precinct 14 here in Urbana. That is a bit surprising as this is seriously left-leaning country. Most of the signs dealt with the Democratic candidates running in the 103rd race, but there were a couple of Dillard signs, no Rauner signs.

26. - MrJM - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:10 am:

Anyone?

– MrJM

27. - From the 'Dale to HP - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:15 am:

@MrJM, I hope any Chicagoan who pulls a GOP ballot knows that they can expect roughly 39,284 calls to be a pollwatcher for the rest of their time living at their address.

28. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:26 am:

Precinct 11 in Ward 32 didn’t open till around 9am. I was the 17th voter at 10. There were passers for Reyes, Arroyo Jr and Berrios. Guzzardi had a watcher inside.

There was a faint mark already on one of the judicial races. They spoiled the ballot and gave me a new one.

29. - Jeanne Dough - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:27 am:

“I wonder if any of the Democratic CapFax regulars participated in the much-ballyhooed cross-over by pulling Republican ballots.”

Regular reader, not regular contributed, but I would be one of those cross-overs. Have had a few “hell has frozen over” comments/texts from like-minded teacher friends.

30. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:27 am:

Yes, I normally pull a D ballot in primaries but crossed over and pulled a R in early voting. My wife has never before pulled an R in a primary, but did so this morning.

She tends to vote much more solidly D than I do, so today was a big deal for her. I had to grit my teeth on Dillard’s social issues stances. She had to grit her teeth just to pull the ballot, then swallow bile on the social issue.

But she did it, because she understands just how dangerous Blago.2 is. (I am the King of Illinois!)

And we have to live on a State pension.

31. - Jeanne Dough - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:28 am:

*contributer

32. - Grandson of Man - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:30 am:

Anyone?”

One of my colleagues told me this morning that she did it. Two of my other colleagues said they will do it.

I am very torn this election. Do I vote for the incumbent legislator, whose voting record I approve, or do I vote for the challenger, who may be more progressive than the incumbent? Do I pull a Republican ballot? I haven’t voted yet, but I’m letting it stew around in an already-muddled mind until this evening.

After reading about the implications of an unfavorable Harris v. Quinn SCOTUS ruling for public unions, not voting against Rauner seems less harsh.

33. - GA Watcher - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:31 am:

Voted in far west suburban Cook County. Poll workers said the precinct has been fairly evenly split between Dem and GOP voters in the past. At 7:40 a.m., however, they said that more than a hundred GOP ballots had been cast compared to fewer than ten on the Dem side.

34. - Down South - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:32 am:

Average turnout. GOP precinct but 52 to 42 R to D on ballots. A bit surprising. Probably because of a local primary. Only signs at polling station were those of said D primary and some Grogan for Treasurer signs.

35. - Downstater - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:36 am:

=I wonder if any of the Democratic CapFax regulars participated in the much-ballyhooed cross-over by pulling Republican ballots.

Anyone?

– MrJM =
    Great point!

36. - HoosierDaddy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:37 am:

South Champaign County turnout was pretty low so far. My wife was in at 6:30 and said everyone there when she voted was requesting an R ballot. Not surprising since it is about 85% R. Nobody was there when I voted. I was the 54th voter at 7:30.

37. - Nearly Normal - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:37 am:

We had one voter who was conflicted about ballot choice but she took the Republican so she could vote for Dillard. She said she needed to vote for him as AFCSME instructed.

38. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:39 am:

I pulled a Republican ballot (my second primary ever, last time I pulled a Dem in 2008) and was voter #34 at my voting place at 10:15 AM.

39. - NW Suburbs - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:40 am:

Judges said 22 people had voted by 10:30a. 20-2 GOP in GOP area.

40. - WTF - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:40 am:

This Dem voter pulled a Republican ballot today. Feel queasy….

41. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:40 am:

What about you, MrJM? Did you pull a Republican ballot?

42. - Worth It - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:46 am:

Prediction: Next cycle we are going to see an uptick in whining from D union crossover voters complaining about getting bombarded with R mailers and robocalls.

43. - Upon Further Review - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:46 am:

Rauner has spent a ton of money, but, I wonder how many true adherents he actually has? I really suspect that his foot soldiers are largely “Hessians” (paid mercenaries) rather than true believers.

I know the name recognition that his paid media bought him is considerable, but I have yet to meet many people who genuinely seem to like the guy. A number of astute voters who watch elections closely of faulted him for his constant straddling the fence when it comes to specifics.

I have heard from many people, including some Democrats, who have voiced the opinion that they oppose Rauner and will be voting against him. I have met about three people in total who were willing to go on record as supporting him in the primary. His big bankroll was a factor inasmuch as some of these people pointed out the fact that he can afford to finance the general election campaign out of pocket if need be.

During the Winter of our discontent, I have not heard much love for Governor Quinn. Many people have expressed their disgust for him (”Mister Potato Head” is one of the kindest insults that I can post — others are of the @#%*! variety). It will be interesting how his opponent does in the Democratic primary in terms of protest votes.

44. - Johnnie F. - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:47 am:

Mr. Fedora will be crossing over, primarily b/c of worries over the consolidation of wealth and power to the 0.01%ers.

45. - 100 Miles West - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:49 am:

Some of the the AFSCME members in my building say they are crossing over to vote for D-Lard, but not many.

46. - Oye - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:51 am:

Saw Dick Durbin at green line station in Oak Park this morning.

47. - Upon Further Review - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:56 am:

I omitted to mention that some people that I have heard from were skeptical of the friendship/working relationship between Bruce Rauner and Rahm Emanuel. Those who mentioned it were not viewing it as a positive.

48. - littleone - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:56 am:

My mom was just out in front of her house and a guy drove up and put a Galhotra sign on her lawn next to her Harmon sign…while she was standing there watching him! She told him to remove it but he shook his head, got in his car, and drove away. Who does this guy have working for him??

49. - Johnnie F. - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:57 am:

Additionally, having an adult sibling with developmental disabilities gives me a reason for concern about her well-being under a Rauner philosophy. It’s been challenging enough over the past administrations w/o all the ”hammer” threats.

50. - Bunson8r - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 10:59 am:

Voted in the 46th Ward at McCutcheon Elementary. Voted at 730 AM and was the 5th voter. No signs for ANY candidates up and complete lack of interest. It took the election judges ten minutes to get me checked in on their new iPad system.

51. - A. Nonymous - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:09 am:

I generally like David Orr but his Elections office has been making it more and more difficult to recruit and RETAIN election judges.

And it’s nearly impossible to verify that judges are actually supporters of the parties they’re assigned to.

52. - Political Neophyte - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:10 am:

The turnout is very low in Oswego. I voted this AM, and there wasn’t a single other person there. At 9:00, they said I was one of the first people there. Yikes.

53. - Just An Ordinary Lawyer - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:12 am:

Super quiet at my polling place. Very few signs and very few voters. For a minute I wasn’t even sure I was IN a polling place

54. - circularfiringsquad - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:13 am:

Calls suggest the crossover express is rolling across the state

55. - Hans Sanity - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:15 am:

Now that I can vote from home by mail, I doubt I’ll ever go to polling place again.

Does anyone here prefer going to the polling place on election day to early voting or voting by mail?

56. - Peoria Voter - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:17 am:

City of Peoria, precinct 92, was # 100, seems normal, should hit 225 to 250 by end of day. This is always the highest voting precinct in the city of Peoria. No candidate signs anywhere.

57. - Upon Further Review - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:19 am:

@A.Nonymous:

That is really the fault of the of the “Republican” committeemen in the county townships. In too many Chicago wards, the shortage of judges is so acute that the Democrats wind up selecting people to pose as “Republican” judges on election days. During the primary these judges are required to vote by requesting their
    “party” ballot. It has led to some interesting results such as Ray Wardingly (”Spanky the Clown”) being nominated as a joke when Chicago’s mayoral elections were preceded by a partisan primary. Lol.

58. - 60611 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:24 am:

Was #15 at 8:30 this morning in my high-rise Streeterville precinct in the 42nd ward. Christian Mitchell’s district - theoretically he should do well in the 42nd ward portion, but this was the lightest primary turnout I can recall.

59. - Bibe - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:28 am:

First Republican ballot I’ve ever pulled and my facebook page is full of friends saying the same.

60. - Soccermom - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:30 am:

I was number 45 or so at 10 a.m. at my polling place in Googoo Central (aka Oak Park.) They said there were a few more GOP voters than usual, but sample size is too small to identify a treand.

61. - Belle - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:36 am:

Just got back from the 2nd Ward. I was #13 in my precinct. No snacks available.
    I pulled a GOP Ballot which felt weird since I didn’t know many of the choices. I felt great about voting against Ice Cream Boy and Rauner. I can usually feel good about voting for JBT so that was a bonus.

62. - Wally - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:37 am:

The highest voting precinct in Peoria has no candidate signs???? Great job committeemen and women. Wow.

63. - Knome Sane - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:37 am:

Unless there is a concerted effort on those who are crossing over to the Republican primary to vote against Rauner, it will only succeed if everyone crossing over votes for Dillard, as presumed. If they lodge a protest vote and the vote is spread over the remaining 3 candidates, Rauner will win by a large margin.

64. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:39 am:

I’m not a Democrat but I have never pulled an R ballot in my life until this election. I keep telling myself I really didn’t vote for either Dillard or Truax, I voted against Rauner and Oberweis.

65. - john - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:39 am:

First GOP ballot since 1994. Rauner earned my vote for Dillard. My Facebook page has friends saying they pulled GOP ballots as well.

66. - Jimbo - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:44 am:

Count me as a strong D who pulled an R ballot. I was the only voter present at the polling place in Falling Brook at 7:15 this morning

67. - NIref - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:46 am:

Number 23 at 1115 this morning in Carbondale. Going to be very light here. Although, the weather is nice, which should bump things up a little bit.

68. - Jimbo - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:49 am:

I should add, I really don’t think Dillard can pull it out. I do believe that there is a large crossover, but I just don’t see it being big enough to close the gap. I would love it if it worked, but I’m not too hopeful, and kind of feel queasy about having an R primary vote on my voting record knowing it probably will be for naught.

69. - Gerber - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:51 am:

Crossed over to vote for Rauner. Also, after some doubt, voted for Oberweiss as more likely to lose to Durbin.

3 signs for Mitchell, 1 for Travis, and no supporters of anyone near the polling place.

70. - Samurai - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:53 am:

Dem wife and University of Wisconsin Daughter pulled republican for Dillard.

71. - PolPal56 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 11:54 am:

I hear you, Belle. I think that the only other time I pulled an R ballot was to vote for JBT for Gov. in 2006.

72. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Mar 18, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

Another great job!!!

Let’s close this one down and go here: http://capitolfax.com/2014/03/18/early-afternoon-precinct-reports-2/

* Reader comments closed for the holiday weekend
* Fracking rules finally unveiled
* A big IDOT roundup
* Even Steven, for now
* *** UPDATED x1 - Confirmed *** Report: Libertarians file charges
* Big guys dinged a bit, but little guys helped a lot
* Today's photo
* Stark contrasts on taxes, minimum wage

* HTC Nexus tablet leaked to come with keyboard folio cover
        * Sony Xperia Z3 Compact press photos show bright colors
        * iWatch price, iPhone 6 phablet leaks, Google event & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 tipped to bring some much needed updates
        * Openmix turns you into a smartphone DJ
        * Our top 10 new Windows Phone games of August
        * Apple Reveals Common Reasons for App Rejections on New Developer Page

* Drone Checks Out Upcoming Apple Campus
        * Moto X+1 and Moto G2 Prices Leaked in Brazil
        * Alcatel OneTouch Flash To Go Up Against Galaxy Note
        * Cortana Does Worldwide Time And Currency Conversions
        * iPhone 3GS With Swollen Battery Spotted
        * Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3 Offers Value For Money
        * Apple Patches iCloud Bug That May Have Leaked Celeb Photos

* White Sox Minor League Update: End of the regular season
        * Noesi looks to continue push toward season's end
        * Williams conveys important message to Little Leaguers