*** UPDATED x1 *** Rate Bruce Rauner’s new TV ad

Friday, Apr 4, 2014

* From a press release…

Rauner Releases Second Ad of General Election

- Highlights bi-partisan support, will take on both political parties -

Citizens for Rauner launched a new television advertisement today featuring Bruce’s wife, Diana, and highlighting his willingness to take on both parties to fix Illinois.

Watch it by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqzFaWpDLOI&feature=youtu.be

The Rauner campaign’s first ad of the general election was a Spanish-language ad released two weeks ago.

“NUTS”

BR: I’m Bruce Rauner

DR: I’m Diana Rauner

BR: I’m pragmatic

DR: He’s cheap

BR: We don’t agree on everything

DR: Like politics

BR: What to eat

DR: And that shirt

BR: What?

DR: It’s old and ugly

BR: I’m a Republican

DR: I’m a Democrat

BR: I love her anyway

BR: And drive the career politicians nuts. I will. I’ll drive them nuts.

DR: I know, honey. I know.

* It views much better than it reads. Mrs. Rauner is really quite good at this. Have a look-see

*** UPDATE *** Here’s the cable TV portion of the buy. Notice the networks, including Food Channel and HGTV. This ain’t a Fox News kinda thing…

Citizens for Rauner
Republican candidate for Governor of Illinois
Agency: Access Media, Los Angeles
Total schedule: $82,256
Flight Dates: 4/4/14 - 4/10/14
Networks: BRVO, FOOD, HGTV, TVL, USA
Dayparts: 4-7P, 7P-Midnight
Syscodes / zones / $ by zone
5170 / Chicago Interconnect / $68, 880
9804 / DirecTV / $7,917
9810 / DISH / $5,459

1. - Siyotanka - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:00 am:

Great…just what we need in Springfield…another “ON the Job” trainee…Hum, more bread and circus’s…

2. - So. ILL - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:03 am:

This is an A+. Fits well with society’s tendency to portray Dad or hubby as the insufferable dope. Dude’s worth a billy and still can’t get no respect.

3. - Tom - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:07 am:

I actually did not like it. Too disjointed and staged. I feel like it is over the top cutesy and sappy. I do think it is smart softening him up a bit. I would look to see a negative commercial rolled out soon and dual track it with this ad.

4. - Empty Chair - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:08 am:

When heads of PE firms pitch their firms, they’re always pitching themselves as much as they are their services or returns. It’s no wonder he’s able to come across as someone you want to have a beer with.

5. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:09 am:

===DR: I’m voting for him anyway because I know Bruce will take on both parties to fix Illinois.===

Remember;

Other than that…

Nice Ad, serves a purpose. You hid your wife, you use your wife as a prop.

In that scope, “A”…

6. - Bill White - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:09 am:

This will be easy to parody. The SNL people could go gonzo with this. For example, just add the following line

“Yes, Bruce will fix Illinois; he will fix Illinois the same way he fixed he family cat”

7. - South of Sherman - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:11 am:

Can we vote for Diana for governor?

8. - Big Muddy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:12 am:

Pretty solid. Humorous and gets a few points across. Had Mrs. Big Muddy view it and she agreed its a good ad that will help define Rauner before Quinn can. She also agreed that Brucie’s shirt is indeed ugly. Every married man can relate to his wife cracking him no matter how successful.

9. - Wumpus - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:15 am:

Good job humanizing him. Although he is uber rich, he also has a judgmental, jerk of a wife. lol

10. - Springfield guy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:16 am:

I didn’t listen because I’m at work, but reads like a “Shirley and Chester from the Vogue” radio ad. People from Springfield will likely remember them.

11. - Walker - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:16 am:

Presents someone you might even come to like.

Production “flaws” shows he’s not taking it all too imperiously.

Great way to avoid the image of being a scold.

Solid A

12. - Kansas Komet - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:16 am:

I don’t find her particularly likable. Need a couple of their kids in this. A “C” at best.

13. - Generation X - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:19 am:

I think it was a very effective Ad. I’d say an A for same reasons as everyone above.

He’s every man with a wife, family etc which we can all relate to. Plus you get a break from hyperpartisan ship by throwing Democrat wife in there. If you don’t know much about him, this Ad is an A+

14. - Jimbo - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:19 am:

I reluctantly admit the ad is excellent.

15. - Citizen Carl - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:21 am:

Overall pretty solid attempt to humanize BR and looks like that attended audience is female swing voters. Reminds me of the video with the Obama’s where they talk about being regular folks that just paid off their college debt and Barack leaves his dirty socks around the house.

The sugarcoating of Bruce’s Ayn Rand economic views has began.

16. - Bill White - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:22 am:

= If you don’t know much about him, this Ad is an A+ =

Agreed

However, it’s only April (both in baseball and politics) and people will want to know details about what is means to “fix Illinois”

17. - Grandson of Man - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:22 am:

Due to “technical difficulties” I can’t watch the ad, but I’d like the transscript very much if Rauner didn’t make all those anti-union statements before the primary election. Now that he’s in, he’s all warm and fuzzy. I’m sorry, but I have a hard time trusting this guy.

I rate the ad (transscript) a C+.

“And drive the career politicians nuts. I will. I’ll drive them nuts.”

What does this mean? I hope it doesn’t mean he’ll do something like this just for the sake of doing it.

18. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:22 am:

Very good ad. Solid A

19. - Wumpus - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:23 am:

Yarrrgh.

More importantly, he blinks like a regular person unlike in his primary ads.

20. - Commonsense in Illinois - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:23 am:

Nicely done. Get to see a different side while BR keeps the hammer swinging. Where’s the dog?

21. - Publius - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:26 am:

This is a really good ad for a really terrible candidate. Remember people were conned into buying Edsels.

22. - Michelle Flaherty - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:26 am:

David Dring called, he wants his shirt back.

23. - DuPage Bard - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:27 am:

So, so far we know Bruce has no plan for Illinois, he’s cheap, wears bad clothes and his wife is a Democrat (which he conveniently didn’t mention in the primary ads). He and his wife are actually advocating for chaos in Springfield. It’ll play real well with the voters. Even in todays digital age where actual information is available at the touch of a button, people still won’t do actual research. Very well run campaign so far, the only mistake has been the weird Howard Dean-esque speech on election night. No more letting Bruce speak off the script.

24. - Upon Further Review - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:31 am:

Diana Rauner has donated money to candidates from both political parties (from a variety of addresses). It is fairly obvious some of the support for Republican leaders was meant to benefit Bruce Rauner. What ought to raise red flags for conservatives and Republicans is her support for Personal Pac (which sometimes claimed that it did not know her address in its campaign disclosure reports). Personal Pac played an important role in Bill Brady’s defeat in 2010.

25. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:32 am:

But, if you ALSO think that Quinn is an incompetant buffoon, then that scares me. Because I am looking for the least-bad alternative as a voter here, and suspect that many others are in the same boat.

Frankly, Quinn is such a disaster that I find it hard to believe that anybody is worse.

26. - A modest proposal - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:32 am:

Seriously, it’s an A++. The one thing Romney did not do well was introduce himself to the voters, and he let Obama define him.

27. - hisgirlfriday - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:32 am:

Can only watch it with the sound off but really doesn’t do anything for me. The images and transcript come off as phony to me.

Where was Diana during the primary? If she is so central to who Bruce is and how he would govern, why’d Bruce ship her off to one of their out of state homes for the past year?

I am also just put off generally by the strategy of Republican/conservative politicians trotting out their Democratic/more liberal wives as if that means anything to how they govern. Its like how GOP presidential candidates would be pro-life and then have their wives say they are personally pro-choice and then the GOP candidate would support anti-Roe justices anyway. Its obnoxious and obviously an attempt to have it both ways on every issue. I suppose Bruce is doing it because this strategy has worked for GOP pols in the past, but Diana isn’t some Kennedy scion like Maria Shriver was for Arnold so I’m not sure how well it will work for Bruce.

28. - Hit or Miss - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:33 am:

===BR: And drive the career politicians nuts. I will. I’ll drive them nuts.===

How? I am still waiting to hear his plan given that ‘career politicians’ control both houses of the GA. When do we get to hear the plan?

29. - Frenchie Mendoza - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:34 am:

The ad is devoid of any content. When is Rauner gonna stop with the schtick and start engaging on issues? I don’t care about cutesy stuff. I don’t want someone to immediately “take on” every politician in Springfield — it’s a recipe for gridlock.

Come on — enough with the negatives, enough with the schtick. Let’s see some potential policy positions — or, at the very least, an intelligent engagement with real issues impacting real people.

The fact that folks are buying Rauner’s schtick is mind-boggling to me.

30. - Louis G. Atsaves - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:36 am:

A+ Great ad. Great introduction of his wife. They both look very natural and unrehearsed, even though scripted. The humor was just the right touch.

Great counter to the “Do You Know Rauner” ads Quinn ran.

31. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:38 am:

===I’m genuinely curious: do all of you folks who routinely bash Rauner think that Quinn is effective in the job? Because if you do, you have no credibility.===

“I’m genuinely curious: do all of you folks who routinely praise Rauner think that Rauner is honest and has integrity? Or that Bruce Rauner has ethics or morals? Because if you do, you have no credibility.”

Better.

32. - Bill White - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:38 am:

I wonder if the Rauners get Oberweis home delivery?

I could easily see Diana saying: “Oberweis? Great milk! Even better ice cream. U.S. Senate? Seriously? Don’t make me laugh.”

33. - Stones - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:38 am:

I honestly thought it was a good ad. It seems Mrs Rauner is going to be a regular in the campaign circuit. I think she is a big plus for his campaign.

34. - phocion - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:41 am:

Most effective political ad I’ve seen in years. It does exactly what Rauner’s campaign wants - give him a human face without losing the “shake up Springfield” message. Mrs. Rauner will appeal to just about every wife out there. An A+.

35. - Analyst - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:43 am:

“drive the career politicians nuts”! Now there’s a goal, …, about dysfunction.

36. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:43 am:

The new Hepburn and Tracy. I’ve got the trailer:

– Voiceover: In a state gone mad, can two opposites find true love while defeating the forces of evil?

He’s a Republican.

DR: “He’s cheap.”

VO: She’s a Democrat.

BR: “I love her anyway.”

VO: Rauner International, in conjunction with 1% Productions, presents: “Beauty and the Beast that Shook Up Springfield.”

This film is rated $ for obscene amounts of money. –

It’s a very good idea to get Mrs. Rauner out there, but the execution here is really hokey, and kind of insulting.

What’s the clapboard supposed to communicate — Crazy Uncle Bruce just can’t get it right? They’re dropping big money to air out-takes? C’mon, we’re not idiots.

And the banter about the shirt — was that supposed to come off as spontaneous? It’s never a good idea to fake sincerity.

Now, if they really wanted to be sincere, when she called his shirt “old and ugly,” Bruce would have said “look who’s talking,” like married couples do in real life, lol.

There’s a good spot in the concept, but this one ain’t it. C, for cloying and cutesy.

37. - William j Kelly - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:43 am:

They forgot a line- who knew buying an election would be such a hoot? I know honey! He he he!

38. - Grandson of Man - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:45 am:

I’d like to add that anonymous commenters who won’t pick a screen name and stand behind their statements lack credibility.

39. - William j Kelly - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:46 am:

Hey honey, how’s about a mansion in Springfield Illinois? Why not we have one everywhere else! He he he!

40. - downstate commissioner - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:46 am:

Publius: “Remember, people were conned into”… voting for Blagojevich.

He drove the career politicians nuts, too…

Good ad, though. His wife is attractive and (scripted) humorous.

41. - Marty Funkhouser - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:47 am:

What Michelle Flaherty said.

The answer is: B.

It does humanize him. It kinda made me chuckle.

It’d be better without the contrived laughing from Daddy Warbucks. Plus the cuts showing they did different takes will make people think even more that it was staged.

42. - Upon Further Review - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:51 am:

@hisgirlfriday:

We have now seen more of Diana Rauner than Chicagoans have seen of Amy Rule (the wife of Rahm Emanuel)in almost four years.

43. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:52 am:

Judging by the reaction here, the ad, regardless of any grade, is extremely effective. People like people like themselves. A lot of independent people will like this. There are plenty of split households out there. The Rs will support Rauner, because they like him or hate Quinn. The Ds will support Quinn because they like him and hate Rauner. The soft Rs, soft Ds and Is will like this portrayal a lot. It looks like home to them.

44. - Normalite - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:53 am:

He’s cheap? He just spent 12 million and broke spending caps. Also they sell that ugly shirt at J Crew.

45. - Walker - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 9:57 am:

“Michelle in the morning, pols take warning.”

Didn’t Dring used to wear that one with a yellow bow tie?

The clearest way Rauner could drive me crazy, would be not to recognize his own areas of ignorance and incompetence in government. It’s a good sign that he seems to have hired good campaign staff, and listens to them.

46. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:01 am:

===…Hepburn and Tracy…===

- wordslinger -, the 2014, “Pat and Mike”?

Closest to reality(?)

47. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:02 am:

Grandson of Man…

Do I think there is a big integrity gap between Bruce and Quinn, no I don’t. So there, there is one answer to your genuine curiosity and I have been around here forever and have used the same handle forever. Also he wasn’t my first choice in the primary, but I still think he is a better choice than Quinn.

Also in terms of full disclosure. I do not work for government, but do have thanks to a previous part time teaching gig at the community college level about $200 (I think it is that much now, haven’t looked) in the SURS.

48. - Knome Sane - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:02 am:

I was struck by two things:

1) How much they look alike

2) How her body language shows her pulling away from him repeatedly during the spot (her lean away at the end of the spot almost shows her going out of frame). Very telling, in my opinion.

49. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:03 am:

50. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:07 am:

===Just ask yourselves; How does Pat Quinn respond to this? What portrays him similarly? He really can’t.===

“I won’t surprise you with a prop wife, rolling her out when I need someone to …throw under the bus… or soften a “.01%” elitist image… I stand up for myself, thanks.”

That would be fun, but harsh, lol

51. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:08 am:

Willie, I think “Adam’s Rib” is closest to the “opposites attract” concept here.

52. - phocion - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:08 am:

Very interesting ad buy. He’s definitely targeting women. Learned Brady’s lesson well.

53. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:09 am:

–What portrays him similarly? He really can’t.–

I’m sure his momma loves him. That’s about as earth-shattering as “my wife loves me.”

54. - Downstater - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:11 am:

=Bruce Rauner is a Raunerite. He can care less if you are a Democrat or Republican. The ideology is about Raunerite Special Interest, which is not “Baloney”, and 1/3 of you GOP GA Members are corrupt.=
    How about, Pat Quinn is a Quinnerite. He could care less if you are a Democrat or a Republican. The ideology is Quinnerite populism. He knows many of Democrats in his party are corrupt, but they deliver votes.

55. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:13 am:

===What portrays him similarly?===

After 40 years in public life, Quinn doesn’t need to introduce himself to voters. They know him, warts and all, and will make their judgement based on which of these two candidates they trust more. Rauner won’t be able to turn Quinn into a caricature of himself, no matter how much money he spends trying.

Rauner, on the other hand, is so unknown he could be turned into something he isn’t. In fact, he’s trying to do that himself.

56. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:14 am:

==== Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:07 am:

That would be fun, but harsh, lol====

57. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:14 am:

- wordslinger -, yeah, thought about that, …

…but the shady fight promoter “selling”, and the shady associates…went “Pat and Mike”

58. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:15 am:

===It would also be beyond stupid. Just what Democrats would love to see, PQ making fun of a woman, a Democrat, an activist in their causes. Nice try. The only one lol, is you.===

It was snark. It was parody of over the top “love”, …”unscripted”

Get over yourself.

59. - Empty Suit - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:23 am:

I wasn’t a Rauner supporter but the ad is good and will play well with women.

60. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:23 am:

- Downstater -,

When Quinn calls 1/3 of the Democrats in the GA corrupt, and rolls out Republican for Quinn on the face of MJM or Cullerton, as a start… Then maybe “Quinnerite” might fly.

Quinn is a Democrat. Good, bad, indifferent, Quinn is a Democrat.

There is no PAC to support Dems or Republicans for Quinn to “help”, Quinn has yet to say such a PAC is to move the Quinn agenda and give cover…

Raunerite is real, Raunerbots are just as real too.

61. - Almost the Weekend - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:27 am:

I think this a great commercial for an uninformed voter of Rauner’s past. Attempting to give himself an image before Quinn can hit him, smart move.

Another thing from this: DR needs to start campaigning for him, she will probably be the only positive aspect of this negative/nasty/depressing gubernatorial campaign. And that could be big come November.

62. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:28 am:

===As an aside, does it bother any Republicans that this guy just bought your party’s nomination and here is rubbing your noses in the dirt with his Democratic wife featured so prominently? With each passing day, Rauner moves further left. That really used to bother a lot of Republicans. I wonder if it still does?===

Good question. The reality for this Republican is that My Party allowed a Raunerite to take My Party’s nomination by out hustling, out working, out maneuvering, out spending, and by hiding who Rauner is, because the others couldn’t define Rauner.

Rauner will not get my vote. The education of both Rauners will decide how others feel about a Raunerite candidate.

63. - Upon Further Review - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:35 am:

Pat Quinn has been divorced for more than a few years. I doubt that he is going to ask his ex-wife or current girlfriend to cut a commercial to respond to the Rauners.

It is hilarious how the Rauners dress down to play “plain folks” when they own nine separate residences.

Some of their real estate holdings are baffling. I can see having a house in Winnetka and a condo in Chicago. What is confusing is that the Rauners have two properties in Chicago which are within walking distance of each other. Very 1%.

64. - Grandson of Man - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:36 am:

“Grandson of Man…

Do I think there is a big integrity gap between Bruce and Quinn, no I don’t. So there, there is one answer to your genuine curiosity”

That wasn’t my quote to which you’re responding. I was quoting Mr. Willy. Sorry that you were mixed up.

I agree with Oswego Willy. The dude’s a phony. We know what he really wants to do, but now that he got a union scare, he’s changing his tune. What would he be saying now if he handily beat Dillard? He’d be attacking public union leaders and pushing right to work.

65. - PoolGuy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:36 am:

decent ad. but the part where she says he is cheap and wears old shirts is annoying. when you have a home in Winnetka, condos in Chicago, Manhattan penthouses with moats, and so on stop selling yourself as being cheap.

66. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:37 am:

IMHO he didn’t really buy the nomination. Why do I say that, because I don’t think you can’t really do that in Illinois. Otherwise we would have had several different nominees for major office. Does money help, hell yeah, can you just buy a nomination. Generally no.

As for the move to the left as it were. Well, never been a big social issue guy one way or the other I don’t think government has much influence on those issues so why even try to legislate it (guess I am more of libertarian in that regard). Those issues were never a real litmus test for me. So yeah I am totally fine with him moving left as it were.

Also to be blunt, I am kind of tired of losing. I know there are folks who disagree, but the social issues are not getting us as many undecided voters
    as they are costing us.

67. - Worth It - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:40 am:

Thanks to the posters that rated the ad. I give it an A as I think it helps define him on his terms and will make it harder for Quinn to paint the picture of him as simply an evil rich guy. It also is clearly reaching out to moderates and women voters, something some republicans have not been able to pull off in the past but that is necessary to win this election.

68. - hisgirlfriday - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:43 am:

@UponFurtherReview: I agree about Mrs. Rahm. And so?

69. - hisgirlfriday - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:46 am:

@EmptySuit: Just curious, are you a woman? I am a woman it didn’t “play well” with me.

70. - Upon Further Review - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:49 am:

@Knome Sane:

Since the couple has had six children together, your interpretation of her body language in a thirty second spot seems to be meaningless.

71. - Larry the Cable Guy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:50 am:

Hey, if I can get people to believe I’m an ordinary guy, anybody can!

72. - Larry the Cable Guy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:52 am:

“Here’s your sign.”

73. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:58 am:

What, you think he spends most of their time in Tuxes and she wears evening gowns?

and for changing his tune…

Guess I am the one who is slow, did anyone think they were not going to go fairly early with a “humanizing” ad after the primary?

Also unless I have missed something in politics over the last 30+ years or so, don’t candidates generally move to the center after a primary? Doesn’t the message change after the primary since the message you use and even the themes you would use change for a general vs a primary?

I don’t think I have ever heard anyone here say

“the problem with that candidate is he spent to much time/money trying to define himself”

74. - Downstater - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 10:59 am:

Oswego Willy =Rauner will not get my vote.=
    Oswego has spent years talking about “My Party”, while constantly belittling Republicans and preaching for the need for inclusiveness, now he rejects Rauner the nominee for “his party”. Oswego-Hypocrit. No credibility. Just a complainer.

75. - Snucka - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:02 am:

Rich guys always think that a political campaign is the same as a PR campaign. There are lots of obvious similarities, but some even bigger differences. A political organization with a strong GOTV effort is something completely different from and far more valuable than putting as many ads as possible on the air.

Rauner won the GOP nomination with a high-priced PR campaign, because none of his opponents had a GOTV operation. You cannot win a general election in Illinois with that strategy.

76. - girllawyer - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:12 am:

I am astonished by the multiple comments that this ad “will play well with women”. Does anyone really think that what women care about is the candidate’s wife? What year is this?

77. - gesquire - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:21 am:

Great targeted ad. They couldn’t have gotten a better Democratic woman out of central casting. Can’t wait to see Quinn’s ad with his dog.

78. - Lunchbox - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:27 am:

Solid ad here, I would rate it an A.

79. - WindyCity - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:27 am:

It’s “empty.” Now, it may appeal to those who know nothing about the guy and sat down in a focus group to judge the likeability of the ad. But the guy is a self-defined salesman. He’s 1 percent of the 1 percent. When you know “the real Bruce Rauner” this spot is more irritating and antagonizing for the phoniness than anything else, IMO. But hey, at least this promo didn’t include the infamous Illinois mountains in the background.

80. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:28 am:

- Downstater -,

Rauner is a Raunerite. Please learn.

81. - Grandson of Man - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:30 am:

“Finally, I think he will do a better job as governor than Pat Quinn. I realize that is a minority opinion here, but I really do.”

With due respect, I would like to see some examples. Allow me to lay out a couple of scenarios.

Rauner has a pension reform bill on his desk that allows workers to keep their defined pensions. Does he veto it because it doesn’t go far enough, or does he sign it? If he vetoes it, it’s unlikely that he will get a pension reform bill on his desk that ends defined pensions. In this scenario, nothing gets done.

A public union contract is expiring. Does Rauner not negotiate with that union because he despises its leadership? Does he tell the union to take the terms or take a flying you know what? Would there be work stoppages and shutdowns?

82. - LincolnLounger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:43 am:

girllawyer: It will play well with women because it humanizes him, not because they are obsessed with the spouse.

I loathe this guy, but I have to give them props. The best ad I’ve seen in a long time.

83. - Johnson's Corner - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:43 am:

People can be either a Republican or Democrat and disagree with their party on certain issues. I grew up as a Democrat and thought of myself as a liberal Catholic Democrat. However, I am pro-life and left the Democratic Party because I was sick of being in political meetings and Election Day celebrations where they demonized pro-life people like myself. I now consider myself an independent even thou I still vote for the Democratic candidate 80 percent of the time because of other issues. I have no tolerance for being demonized for my beliefs. I voted for Quinn in the last election and so did a lot of others who are split on the issues between parties. Most people that I know do not change as the parties change there views and blindly follow the party line 100 percent. Political parties change and people change. Sometimes in the same direction and sometimes in the opposite direction. I have friends who disagree with me but we respect each other’s sincerely held beliefs. People can disagree without being disagreeable. I will vote for Quinn again because I do not trust Brucey Bruce. However, I do not hate him. I just disagree with him on so many levels.

84. - steve schnorf - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:45 am:

Gov Edgar told me once (before he was Governor) that he thought trust was perhaps the most important qualifier the public has for a candidate. Do they trust him/her enough to entrust them with doing the right thing, the best they can, in the future on issues or questions that no one yet has any idea what they will be. He said they don’t have to agree with you, the don’t even have to like you, but if they trust you, you have a good chance.

85. - liandro - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:45 am:

No, it doesn’t bother me that Rauner is “moving left”. He signaled that throughout the campaign. In response to my direct questions at a meet-and-greet he stated he was pro-choice (among other things). He didn’t like the question, but he gave the honest answer. That was almost a year ago-this stuff wasn’t hidden to anyone paying the slightest attention.

Some posters here seem to think that Rauner “bought” the election or fooled Republicans. I think you’re missing the point. A large number of R voters did exactly what people like Oswego have been demanding: ignored socially moderate/liberal stances because they felt he was the best economic choice. He didn’t get my vote in the primary, but he’ll get it in the general. IMO, one-party democratic rule has been a disaster. I want to see what positive drive Bruce is capable of.

86. - steve schnorf - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:47 am:

apologies for the garbled syntax above: I should re-read one more time before I hit “Say It”

87. - Black Ivy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:59 am:

Being in a interracial, mixed poltiical relationship myself, I apprecaite this political advertisement and applaud its effectiveness. If there was ever a time for Democrats to cross party lines, it is now. Diana Rauner xplans that it is okay to side with saving Illinois. Go Rauner go!

88. - Black Ivy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:02 pm:

“Qunnertie”…I don’t think so. No such persons exist. If there are ANY Republicans supporting Quinn, they ain’t being very vocal about it.

89. - Jake From Elwood - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:02 pm:

Two points:

Have you ever seen Warren Buffett’s wardrobe? Remember that ultra-rich does not equal dapper dresser.

The ad was a “B” and Diana is likeable. Imagine a PQ counter advertisement showing a conversation between PQ and a voiced “Betsy.” Then we can talk about who is really cheap and wears odd clothing.

90. - Johnson's Corner - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:20 pm:

I know some Republicans who are voting for Quinn but don’t like him. It is all about Brucey Bruce vs. Quinn. They are as uncomfortable with Brucey Bruce as I am.

91. - Jake From Elwood - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:22 pm:

One thing is certain: sartorial splendor is a big loser in November.

92. - Chicago Cynic - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:25 pm:

A great ad. Humanizes him. The sticks and blurry stuff makes him look less polished. Appeals to the middle. Give it an A.

93. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:26 pm:

Being cheap and owning 9 houses isn’t inconsistent. BR likes to put his money in appreciating assets, not bling.

Personally, I kinda liked the ad. You “body language” people are a bit unhinged.

94. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:27 pm:

@Anonymous at 9:32 - Amen to that.

95. - Cassandra - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:41 pm:

The clothes are patronizing and signal a lack of respect for those (most) of us who have to adhere to a clothing budget. That doesn’t mean he has to wear expensive designer clothing. Dress like it’s a job interview. Which it is.

96. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

Close to 100 comments and rising. The ad’s working.

97. - MrJM - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:17 pm:

If this is Rauner’s “secret weapon”, I admire his belief in his wife’s appeal.

However unfounded.

– MrJM

98. - DateNight - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

If Diana Rauner is a Democrat why is she handing out campaign cash to anti-choice Republicans? This women is little more than a prop to her billionaire Republican husband.

99. - steve schnorf - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:49 pm:

Date, probably because, like most intelligent folks, she isn’t a litmus test single issue voter

100. - Upon Further Review - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:56 pm:

@Downstater:

I frequently have been puzzled by OW always referring to himself as a Republican since he always wants the Republicans to govern by behaving like Democrats and adopting the Democrat platform.

101. - 39th Ward - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:03 pm:

This is another really easy and effective way for BR to contrast himself against PQ (who is divorced and does not have a significant other that can be trotted out for commercials). Expect a lot more picking of low handing fruit from the BR campaign.

102. - Yipperdo - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

I really do not want to admit it, but this is an A+ ad.

103. - Reformed Public Servant - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

Excellent ad! BEST campaign money can buy…see if the $$ does better for Rauner than it did for Whitman with her $100+million in CAL?

104. - cod - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:34 pm:

What a charismatic fellow he is. Reminds me of the smiling charm of Blago, long before the perp-walk.

105. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:36 pm:

I work for the Republican party and I’m voting Quinn. I have talked to county chairman who refuse to vote for Bruce. I believe a solid 25 percent of the ballots cast in the R primary will b votes for Quinn. Rainer is a liability to many Republican politicians, chairmen. And for all the money spent in the primary he sure did not bring in many or any new Republicans. He sent 8 republican votes in my family straight to Quinn. We will be talking to everyone until election day and pushing them towards Quinn as well. The unions learned in this primary (I am not in a union) that they could move 17 points for a limited amount of money. Bread and butter issues like reducing min wage, teachers are bad, nurses are bad and us peasants need his majesty to save us because he has no problem with making money even if a few grandma’s have to die. Their lives Don’t matter because they did not earn enough money to keep them out of a nursing home in their final years. The man is absolutely disgusting.

106. - Johnson's Corner - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:36 pm:

Date night

It is pro-life and a Democrat can be pro-life.

107. - Responsa - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:40 pm:

==I work for the Republican party and I’m voting Quinn. I have talked to county chairman who refuse to vote for Bruce. I believe a solid 25 percent of the ballots cast in the R primary will b votes for Quinn.==

You know, “anonymous”, if you don’t know the difference between a primary and a general election you just may not be who you say you are. :)

108. - Shark Sandwich - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:15 pm:

Responsa, i think what they are trying to say is that 25% of this year’s Republican primary voters will vote for Quinn in the general. I could be wrong.

109. - Endangered Moderate Species - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:29 pm:

A+ Quinn is in trouble,

110. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:49 pm:

Maybe he will unveil his running mate in the next ad. Or probably not.

111. - DateNight - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

Yes Johnson, a Democrat can be pro-life, but why is reportedly pro-choice Democrat Dianne Rauner passing out $90,250 in campaign cash during the past month to anti-choice radical Republicans like John D Anthony, Mark Batinick, Mell Thillens, Margo Mcdermed, Neil Anderson, Rod Drobinsji, Heidi Holan, Leslie Munger, Sheri Jesiel, Keith Wheeler, Seth Lewis, David Mcsweeny and Reggie Phillips? Clearly, Rauner’s wife is no Democrat and not a pro-choice as she claims to be.

112. - Jimbo - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:26 pm:

Everybody calls their side pro and the other anti folks. As I said before the ad is great, but I hope that folks will see through it and his vacuous campaign.

113. - Southern Illinois Voter - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:36 pm:

Great ad! Funny, smart, A+

114. - Mokenavince - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:39 pm:

It was a good ad, he did not belittle his opponent, that’s refreshing.

* *** UPDATED x1 - Rauner response *** This just in... Illinois Supreme Court denies Rauner appeal
* They need a rich "white knight"
* Johnson finally backs Davis... So does Joan
* Schneider throws Quinn under the bus
* Wincing before the hit
* Inspector general's IDOT probe places no direct blame on Quinn
* Today's number: 57 percent
* *** UPDATED x2 - Not totally clean - Some questions answered *** Stories raise unanswered questions about IDOC policy
* *** UPDATED x1 - Schneider campaign responds *** US, Illinois Chambers launch TV hit on Schneider
* Reaching into the past for today's gotcha moment
* New DGA YouTube video ties Rauner to Romney via outsourcing
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition
* This just in... Unions file motion to "gut" the state's pension case

* HTC Nexus Tablet date, Windows 9 date, Gear 3 leaks & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Guess which smartphone took these photos (Vol. 6) (Update: answer within!)
        * Three fun things to do with the Xiaomi Mi4 (Video)
        * For The First Time, The Majority Of Opera Software’s Revenue Came From Mobile Ads
        * Mobile Verification Service Zumigo Closes $6 Million Series B Round Led By Intel Capital
        * HTC One M8 for Windows, edge-free AQUOS Crystal, Moto “Quark” & more | Pocketnow Weekly 110
        * Samsung reminds us why we love handwriting in Note 4 teaser

* SpaceX rocket explodes during failed test
        * Cricket Offers $100 To T-Mobile & MetroPCS Customers To Switch Carriers