*** UPDATED x1 *** “We have a half”

Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014

* During today’s debate on a bill to do away with a state commission which can overturn local school board decisions on charter schools, sponsoring Rep. Linda Chapa LaVia was trying to make a point about minority parents.

“So, listen to me minorities,” she said turning toward the Democratic side of the chamber. “I’m over here because we’re all over on this side, right?”

The Republicans erupted. They have an African-American member, Rep. John Anthony.

Responding to the HGOP outburst, Chapa LaVia said, “Wait,” and then, pointing her finger at the other side of the aisle, said “We have a half. We have a half.”

What. The. Heck. Was. That?

* Watch

That’s just awful.

Yes, the debate was contentious. But nothing justifies stuff like that. Ever.

* The Republicans rose to object strongly, as they rightly should have done. I’ll see if I can get video later. Chapa LaVia gave one of those “I apologize if anyone was offended” apologies.

Not enough, Representative. Not nearly enough.

* By the way, the bill failed to achieve a majority. It was put on postponed consideration.

*** UPDATE *** Rep. Reboletti demands an apology…

* The apology..

1. - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:45 pm:

2. - OneMan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:47 pm:

She is one of my favorite legislators, but that was like 8 degrees of dumb.

All the more so, because at least in her district the issue is a ‘virtual’ charter that all the local school districts were against.

3. - countyline - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:48 pm:

oof, yes, but not surprising at all…

4. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

“Some of my best friends are…”

You better own this, apologize like you mean it, and how about leave race out of your arguments from now… to forever.

5. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

What does “we have a half” mean?

6. - Lil Squeezy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

Wow. I usually despise statements like the one I am about to make, but can you imagine the out cry if a republican made such a statement?

7. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

Not the right thing to say but was in general terms was she statement wrong? There are perceived weaknesses in the Repub Party image. Just don’t rub it in.

8. - Ron Burgundy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

If someone would make those comments, yes, we have a halfwit.

9. - Sooooo... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:59 pm:

As a democrat, and a “half” (actually, I am a “tri”) I am sick of people believing that minorities are “full”. If anything, us “halves” are more of a minority. There are less of us. But really, there should be no discussion about how much “minority” someone is. It makes no sense. Minority means less in number, that is it. Dumb, dumb, comment.

10. - Engaged West Side Parent - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:01 pm:

We dont have parent engagement at charter schools? There were hundreds of parents in the capitol yesterday begging Chapa LaVia to meet with us regarding these horrible bills.

She refused to engage with us.

11. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:03 pm:

–As a democrat, and a “half”–

I guess I’m thick. What’s a “half?”

12. - Walker - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:03 pm:

Not ready for prime time, and won’t get any better.

13. - Lurker - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:06 pm:

wordslinger - “half” minority, biracial.

14. - Sooooo... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:07 pm:

Wordslinger, it means biracial

15. - OneMan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:07 pm:

She would likely still be considered to the the front runner for Mayor of Aurora if the current mayor does not run for re-election…

She is actually kind of liked by local Republicans and I am sure the local newspaper will never print anything about this…

16. - Sooooo... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:08 pm:

I should have said I am a “super minority.” Heh.

17. - Cletus Purcel - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:09 pm:

What she said is appalling. It was unprofessional and borderline racist.

She is unfairly judging Rep. Anthony because of his race.

I hope she gets called back to Speaker Madigan’s office and gets a dressing down. Also, HGOP should seek a reprimand under House Rule 90.

18. - hoosier daddy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:10 pm:

Wonder is she refers to President Obama as a “half”.

19. - Walker - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:11 pm:

Wordslinger: I’m with you. Confused.

I thought it might mean a Republican isn’t a real “minority”.

The “bi-racial” idea would never have occurred to me. And that’s a bit much even for Chapa.

20. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:12 pm:

And you know what’s worse? These were prepared remarks no doubt. To repeat Slinger’s question; what is “a half”? How is someone a half minority?

21. - in the know - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:14 pm:

And I suppose that means we have a “half” a president too?
    she owes Anthony a personal public apology.

22. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:15 pm:

Is she referring to herself as half- biracial or to Rep. Anthony? This is remarkably dumb. Whoever is bi-racial makes them part of more of a minority than nearly any other minority. She’s shameful.

23. - Downstate Dem - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

Shameless. . . typical day in the Illinois legislature. If it’s not this is something else. Jeez

24. - Keyser Soze - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:26 pm:

Ah veritas, albeit accidental.

25. - liandro - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

Wow. I had a guy on my first tour that would call me “oatmeal creme cookie”, and I’ve heard “coconut” several times due to my inability to speak Spanish. I’ve been hit with “half” far too many times to count (since it’s “not as bad”). How on earth was this said on the Statehouse floor? Completely disgraceful.

I completely reject the notion that Democrats are “better for minorities”, but that is a point that can be argued. Using loaded words and ugly racial politics is not at all how to debate it.

26. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

==How is someone a half minority?==

I don’t know. But I think the Representative might be a half wit.

27. - Jimbo - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

I believe she did mean that the Rep was biracial, but why did she say “we” have a half? Not just inartful, but flat out offensive. Does Rep. Anthony only sort of count towards some quota Ms. Chapa Lavia believes the Rs must meet in order to believe they care about any issues affecting minorities?

Well, I think it was just inartful and dumb, but hey, if we are going to call out hillbillies when they say stuff like this, then we ought to call out Ds who do it too. Sometimes folks make some really dumb statements.

28. - Judgment Day - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:32 pm:

Out here along I-88, we’ve got the beginnings of a growing tech corridor. Had high hopes for Rep. Chapa LaVia (hopefully, she can recover), but saying stuff like like really sticks.

We already knew we didn’t have much going with Sen. Obie, but there was hope with Rep. Chapa LaVia. And then this.

Borderline racist comment, and totally self-inflicted.

Somebody better explain to her that in the future, she shouldn’t plan on being ‘offended’ at anything, because if she does, guess what’s likely to be part of the response.

Rep. Chapa LaVia, we don’t need you marginalizing yourself.

29. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:37 pm:

–Borderline racist comment–

I don’t see how it’s borderline.

30. - Shark Sandwich - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:39 pm:

“I don’t see how it’s borderline.”

It’s half borderline.

31. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:42 pm:

She meant she has half a brain.

32. - OneMan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:43 pm:

Sorry if you were offended, not sorry that I said something offensive.

33. - Rod - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:45 pm:

The problem with this entire discussion is HB 4237 the bill in question had some Republican support coming out of committee (Adopted Elementary & Secondary Education Committee; 011-001-000). Why because there were members of suburban Boards of Education who were upset by the overturning of charter decisions made by their elected Boards by the unelected charter commission.

Then the Republicans got cold feet when the pro-charter Rauner wing of the party began pressuring Republicans. So this is part of the context for Rep Chapa LaVia comment, it also unfortunate that some minority Democrats from her side were paying so little attention to the coming vote on HB 4237 that she was forced to try to get their attention. Not all minority Democrats I believe supported HB 4237 by the way.

The constant side bar discussion going on during session have gotten way out of control and the Speaker needs to enforce order during debate. The informal manner Rep Chapa LaVia spoke created part of this problem, she needed to speak to the bill not to the minority caucuses during debate. Where the half minority comment came from is unknown to me, but her informality in addressing the assembly was the root of the problem.

By the way I totally support HB 4237.

34. - LincolnLounger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:46 pm:

The “apology” may have been even more offensive.

“You made me be frustrated and say those offensive words,” followed up by my favorites, “IF there was anyone offended . . . .”

35. - OneMan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:47 pm:

That is also the case in her district. Several area school boards rejected (I think they all did) a virtual charter. Living in that neck of the woods, I don’t think any SD in her district has a charter operation in the district right now.

36. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:49 pm:

I’m not sure which was worse: the remark or the apology.

She was “frustrated” for “the children.” She’s a victim. Ugh.

37. - Norseman - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:49 pm:

Definitely a poor apology.

38. - Wumpus - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

I call on this person, Chapa LaVia, to resign her office. Nothing less will be accepted.

39. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

She can hang out with Rep. Morrison;

If I offended…

Linda Chapa La Via made a racist remark. Linda Chapa La Via refuses to properly apologize, and living in Kendall as I do, I might remember these hateful remarks if someone asks me about her.

Either own it or apologize appropriately for ignorant remarks.

What a pathetic way to think.

40. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:56 pm:

This is part of the political landscape. Conservatives are frequently tagged as women haters, racists, elitists. Unless it is challenged, as it was here, it is accepted as obvious. That Chapa LaVia did that in the open makes me wonder if she drinks that Kool-Aid.

Best have a press conference and prove this was the result of a mistake in taking a new prescription Rx. Oy.

41. - cicero - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

What she should have said during debate: “I forgot, the other side of the aisle is 1/47th minority now, a big improvement over the last decade when they were minority free.”

42. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:59 pm:

The apology: “we’re here for children”

If you look up “jumping the shark” in the urban dictionary, you will see her picture.

43. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:00 pm:

Rep. Linda Chapa La Via, “Did I say that out loud?”

44. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:02 pm:

- cicero -,

You are helping her. Honest.

45. - Abraham Froman - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:03 pm:

Perhaps she will go the Charles Barkley route and claim she is not a role model….

46. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:05 pm:

“If I offended you, then you know I made a racist, insensitive remark. Just testing you.”

47. - cicero - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:06 pm:

What she should have said during debate: “That’s right, the other side of the aisle recently became about 2% minority. Two percent. That’s what passes for minority representation in the GOP. Congratulations.”

48. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:06 pm:

“When you apologize, don’t play the victim.

Common Courtesy and Respect.”

49. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:08 pm:

- cicero -,

How about not say anything about race or a racist remark?

50. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:11 pm:

Saying that she is a Democrat “because we’re (minorities) all over here on this side” was a bizarre comment to begin with.

Sometimes I am glad I do not understand the way certain people think.

51. - liandro - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:28 pm:

@Formerly Known As…-

“But I genuinely do not understand her compounding it with the “We have a half. We have a half” comments. Was she trying to diminish Anthony or make fun of the GOP by saying he was only “half” a minority and thus somehow counts less?

The insinuation of “half” is that you are not “real”, that you “don’t count”. But it’s usually said in a culturally context (like not liking the right type of food or music, etc). Escalating it up into a political context is…very ugly. Very ugly.

52. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:31 pm:

When Rep. Linda Chapa La Via does try to run for Mayor of Aurora, will she represent all the citizens of Aurora? If you are not a minority, or “half” of a minority in Linda Chapa La Via eyes, you don’t “count”.

Got it.

53. - Living in Machiaville - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:31 pm:

“I apologize, But……I apologize, But…” but she doesn’t really. She can be charming and disarming in her casual demeanor. But in this instance she goes too far and simply sounds meaner.

54. - Mail Guy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:41 pm:

Never realized she talked like a ‘Valley Girl’ chomping on gum. Gross. ‘Ya, like, I am really sorry if I hurt your feelings over there.’- ugh

55. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:41 pm:

“We understand Rep. Linda Chapa La Via.

Al Campanis
    Michael Richards
    Fuzzy Zoeller

56. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:50 pm:

@liandro - thanks. That’s kind of what I was picking up on, but it was only one of a few different messages that sort of seem blended into the context of her statement.

Regardless, that is ugly at a very basic level.

I’m used to being confused by Republicans like this far more frequently than Democrats, but it’s just a reminder they’re both bad news when it comes to politicizing race.

57. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:53 pm:

cicero - seriously?

Instead of focusing on the fact no one - regardless of party, race, gender or anything else - no one should diminish another person like this, we should focus on finding ways to rationalize her comments?

Not sure that’s the way to go on this one.

Her transparently insincere semi-apology, non-apology wasn’t the best choice either. Not from a political perspective, but from a decency perspective.

58. - Anon - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:54 pm:

How to offend everyone in the legislature in a single floor debate: Your own members, the opposite party, minorities, anyone with an opinion on the issue that isn’t the same as yours, and most importantly staff, who apparently are filling people’s heads with information that isn’t necessarily correct. To call out staff by name in debate is not cool. Rep. Anthony isn’t the only person she owes an apology.

59. - Befuddled - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:59 pm:

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, people reveal their true thoughts. I think it’s safe to assume this isn’t the only time she’s used that term.

60. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:00 pm:

61. - estubborn - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:01 pm:

Rep. Chapa La Via’s comment was wrong, but I think her apology was honest. Her first words when she rose for a point of personal privilege were “I apologize.” I truly don’t believe she prepared the remark, which was in poor taste. Rhetoric in the House can get heated and she allowed it to get the best of her. I don’t think her years of work in the House should dismissed by one mistake.

62. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:03 pm:

How did that old song go?

“I see your true colors, shining through…”

63. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:05 pm:

I get confused easily, apologies…

=== I don’t think her years of work in the House should dismissed by one mistake.===

Did you mean all her years… or only Half of her years?

64. - estubborn - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:07 pm:

I believe the comment was wrong but I’m wondering how it is racist?

65. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:08 pm:

66. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:11 pm:

You think it’s ok to not only mock racially the diversity of he HGOP, but to publically belittle the racial makeup of a colleague as only ‘half’ as genuine?

Nope. Not racial at all.

67. - Jake From Elwood - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:13 pm:

Cicero- Your argument is half-baked. Stop being an apologist for racist remarks just because you agree with the politics. Your viewpoint needs to go the way of Sportsman Park.

68. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:14 pm:

69. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:20 pm:

70. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:20 pm:

“we’re here for the children”

Does she call biracial children “halfs” of “halfs not”?

71. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:32 pm:

Am I more disgusted by the racially charged remark, or the ‘half’ hearted apology, or the cowardly way Linda Chapa La Via hid behind children in disparaging a colleague and measuring his minority status?

Rep. Linda Chapa La Via thinks nothing of it, I guess;

“If I offended…”

If you cared it meant it, you would know you offended.

Speaks volumes.

72. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:46 pm:

State Representative Linda Chapa La Via quote on SSM;

“I represent all people,” she said.

I dunno now, after hearing that apology, or lack thereof, do I?

73. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 4:51 pm:

Too cute by half

74. - Anon 5:06 - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 5:07 pm:

If a Republican said that, they would be forced to resign.

75. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 5:11 pm:

===If a Republican said that, they would be forced to resign.===

That is insane too.

How about a General Assmbly rooted in respect which includes an honest apology when engaged in at the least, bad form.

76. - Chi - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 5:15 pm:

The representative made a clearly offensive remark, but mocking the hgop’s lack of diversity is not the offensive part; their lack of diversity is fair game. Belittling Rep. Anthony’s heritage is the offensive part.

77. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 5:16 pm:

What I don’t understand is - what did this bill have to do with minorities at all? Most of the over-rules by the state commission are in the suburbs, where school districts have almost always rejected charter school applications. Why in the world would they ever get approved in the suburbs without this commission - a school board would basically have to say - we’re not meeting our students needs so we want to give up a whole lot of money to someone else to give it a go. “Virtually” never going to happen. Why should there be a “minority” perspective on this bill?

78. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 5:28 pm:

===but mocking the hgop’s lack of diversity is not the offensive part; their lack of diversity is fair game. Belittling Rep. Anthony’s heritage is the offensive part.===

Since when is race parsed as you have and seen ok?

Mocking colleagues race and makeup of a Caucus is ok?

Please pick a lane… Don’t go “half” way

79. - Not Five Thirty Eight - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 5:33 pm:

Anon 5:06 - “If a Republican said that, they would be forced to resign.”

It’s just as offensive when Rush Limbaugh calls our President “halfrican” and el Rushbo ain’t resigning anything.

Those sorts of theatrics are not appropriate anywhere, but are perhaps somewhat expected on certain wavelengths of hyperbolic talk radio… not the House Floor.

Free speech is both a right and a responsibility.

80. - 4 percent - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 6:31 pm:

Clear double standard that exists. If a GOP made a similar comment, they would be vilified on the floor.

81. - charles in charge - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 7:07 pm:

I agree that Chapa LaVia got off easy in comparison to what would certainly have transpired had a GOP member made similar comments.

Here’s her explanation of the “half” remark, which she claims was taken out of context, from the Aurora Beacon-News: “By ‘we have a half,’ Chapa LaVia said she was imploring Republican representatives to ‘let (her) talk to this (Democratic) half (of the floor),’ she said.”

Do you buy it? I don’t.

82. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 7:16 pm:

Her complete lack of true remorse and race biting remarks make me not believe one single word.

It now makes me think she may have meant what she said more, and feels less bad about it, until the Press quizzed her.

She knows what she said, the video speaks volumes.

She referred the a Colleague as a “half”.

It’s quite disgusting. The spinning only needs the “some of my best friends…” to complete the sham.

I learned alot about Linda Chapa La Bia today.

83. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 7:27 pm:

I feel sorry for that staffer standing behind her. Talk about witnessing a trainwreck.

84. - Responsa - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 7:46 pm:

She’s scary in more ways than one. In representative government successful lawmakers know and try hard to represent the specific interests of their districts for the overall good of their district’s citizenry. This includes them having to understand the demographics (but certainly not just only the racial diversity) of their constituents. The over all makeup and needs of the district, and the competence of the legislator are what matters– not the race or half race of the representative.

Ugh. What an ugly and lasting portrait of herself and her thought processes Linda painted for us all to see today.

85. - state worker - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 7:47 pm:

For a person that’s always talking about education she sure sounds stupid. I like how Mary Flowers see’s it coming and leaves her seat. Mary’s no dummy.

86. - Mr. Morris - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 8:52 pm:

What I don’t get is what was Rep. Chapa LaVia thinking when she called Rep. Anthony a “half”. Biracial? Rep. Anthony is Black and with a bit of Hispanic.

87. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:08 pm:

Linda Chapa La Vile Thing To Say…

88. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:36 pm:

Lisndro, thanks for telling your story.

You’re not a gasbag like me, but when you bring it, you got game, kid.

Always, always, gets me to thinking. Thanks, pal.

===If a Republican said that, they would be forced to resign.===

For crying out loud, can we get a no-victim zone here?

She said it. It’s on her. She owns it. It’s not on anyone else. You don’t get to transfer it to feed your Eternal Victimhood.

89. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:40 pm:

Not all that long ago, she probably would have accused the GOP of being full of “black republicans” or worse.

It is so amazing how the Party of Jim Crow and Segregation seem to have completely forgotten their history. A little humility would be nice, wouldn’t it?

90. - A modest proposal - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 10:21 pm:

She there for the children - as long as the children are not halves.

91. - Toure's Latte - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 10:47 pm:

ILGA’s answer to Maxine Waters.

92. - Anon - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 7:14 am:

After sleeping on this, I feel worse about LCV. Everything about this was awful…from making the debate on the bill racial, to her offensive remark, to her non-apology. She hurt herself with folks under the dome. Unless she does something far more sincere and unequivocal to really apologize, the LCV brand has soured for good with a lot of folks.

93. - OneMan - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 7:29 am:

If anyone is curious what she said to the local paper in Aurora…

Which I am to be blunt, a bit surprised even covered this since they tend to focus on happy news.

94. - wordslinger - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 7:38 am:

–By “we have a half,” Chapa LaVia said she was imploring Republican representatives to “let (her) talk to this (Democratic) half (of the floor),” she said.–

Really. Then why apologize?

95. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 7:41 am:

From the article - OneMan - included in his post;

===”The comments were taken out of context. It’s extremely frustrating,” Chapa LaVia said.===

Out of context? Linda Chapa La Via refered to a Colleague as a “half”. I can listen, I can watch? I know what I saw and heard.

Again, from the article;

===“I apologized from the bottom of my heart. You know I’m not that type of person,” Chapa LaVia said to lawmakers from the House floor.===

I know now. I know exactly how you feel. I even know how you think . I even know how you think an apology should “seem”.

I even heard the “If I offended…” excuse of an apology.

All that was missing is “Some of my best friends…”

96. - Just sayin' - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 8:43 am:

I think that you are misconstruing her words and assuming she is referring to Rep Anthony… In my humble opinion, she is referring to the “half” as in the Democrats. Whether that makes it better, I don’t know, but the lies and misleading statements that swirl around this place is wearing on me.

97. - Anon - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 8:48 am:

@ Just saying’, if the “lies and misleading statements that swirl around this place” are wearing on you, then you are in the wrong place because that will never change. As the the other “half”, Democrats make up way more than half of the House. Anyone who watched that clip would come to the same conclusion as to what she was referring.

98. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 8:57 am:

===…lies and misleading statements…===

Being an apologist(s) for race baiting remarks don’t make the remarks “different”.

Linda Chapa La Via referred to a Colleague as a “half”, gave a half baked apology, showing limited “remorse”

If Linda Chapa La Via did no wrong, why apologize?

Yeah, Linda Chapa La Via. We know her now, and her feelings, and how “heartfelt apologies” are really not owning her own words.

Linda Chapa La Via owns it. This will follow her, and with that pathetic apology, it should follow her.

99. - OneMan - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 9:10 am:

You know, this was dumb…

But I have known Linda for a while and I have to say I am willing to give her a little bit of the benefit of the doubt that this was just a dumb few minutes on her part.

Do I wish the apology was a lot more straight forward, hell yes.

But some of the calls here for her to resign are just a bit silly to me. If she doesn’t seem to represent all of her constituents or something along those lines, I have to say I have never seen that behavior having lived in her district until the last remap.

I have interacted with a lot of times, not only down in Springfield but even when our daughters played against each other in volleyball and she has always been extremely helpful and polite.

We had a school issue a while back in what could be described as an area of Aurora that had a low minority population compared to most of the city and she was BY FAR, the most helpful and involved of any elected official I dealt with during the whole thing.

So does she deserve some flak for this, yeah. But I really think this was her having a bad few minutes and hopefully she learns from this.

100. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 9:17 am:

===But some of the calls here for her to resign are just a bit silly to me…=

Exactly. That is insane. Not even close to force resignation. Period.

Playing poker, playing golf, athletic competition, debate… those forums, and many like them give a better view of a person than in “non-pressure” situations. You see things come out that people prefer hidden.

Linda Chapa La Via’ “half” will haunt her for quite some time. It should. By not owning it as bad speaks volumes to her character, or maybe in this instance lack thereof.

It was pathetic. Linda Chapa La Via is not the victim here.

101. - Robo - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 9:35 am:

This isn’t her first time castigating non-minorities or half minorities. She’s been doing it in the committee she chairs quite publicly this session and the recording is likely available.

102. - ContrarianLibertarian - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 3:00 pm:

I have to wonder if we’ve gotten to a point where we ascribe social and moral merit to a person for simply being a racial minority — and social and moral demerit for not being a racial minority.

I can’t help but consider that as a subtext to her comments.

If so, that’s really disturbing — and the total antithesis to MLK’s “dream” that we’d become a society which judges people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.

103. - ContrarianLibertarian - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 3:24 pm:

“this was just a dumb few minutes on her part.”

Maybe. I can’t say that I know Rep. Chapa LaVia, much less have a window into her heart. And I’d certainly hate to have the public judge me solely on my most inartful comments.

And I most certainly don’t think it’s the kind of thing that warrants resignation.

That said, I really don’t think this is the kind of thing that somebody just accidentally says out of the blue…such that it’s just a “dumb few minutes.”

I think, in order to make a comment like this, one has to be holding some deep-seated contempt — and I think it deserves some scrutiny.

Everybody is focused on the obnoxious “OK, they’ve got a half” comment. That’s understandable, it’s the kind of comment that will raise eyebrows…reminiscent of the “they’s miscegenated!” scene from “O Brother Where Art Thou?”

But I think what’s most offensive about what she said was the underlying implication that one’s thoughts (opinions, beliefs, etc.) are tethered to, if not determined by, their race.

In other words, would the point she was trying to make have been at all different had there been more than just a “half” minority on the Republican side of the aisle? If not — if her argument would’ve been precisely the same — then what’s the point of throwing that in there?

It’s presumptuousness to the point of nauseousness to pigeonhole people like that.

104. - Anonymous - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 3:33 pm:

I think it’s hilarious everyone is making a huge deal of this. was it wrong of her to say? completely. one hundred percent. my question is where was all this outrage when Rep. Farnham resigned because he was being investigated for child pornography? priorities people. I’ve been in many Elementary and Secondary committees and Chapa LaVia is not only a wonderful representative but a great chairwoman.

105. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 4:03 pm:

===I think it’s hilarious everyone is making a huge deal of this. ===

When you have to apologize TWICE, it us a big deal.

Your “Look, a kitty” Farnham statement reminds me if a good Apologist tactic - deflect from the obvious.

===I’ve been in many Elementary and Secondary committees and Chapa LaVia is not only a wonderful representative but a great chairwoman.===

Linda Chapa La Via is just terrible at apologies DVD recognizing race biting language? Got it.

106. - David - Thursday, Apr 10, 14 @ 7:01 pm:

Half????????? Who is half and then in her “apology” she says people outside should not say stupid stuff and that’s all she is saying!!! They are messing things up, and she is messing things up with her racism???????? Bigot!!!!!!

* Claypool's alleged weakness: Ignorance
* The Credit Union Difference
* Geneseo threatens to cut off state utilities
* Our rapidly fraying social infrastructure
* Rate Uber's new radio ad

* FCC gives AT&T the thumbs-up for WiFi calling
* Google ditches its strange interview questions, says they don’t work
* Facebook lets you read your news feed despite slow connection
* HTC’s bleak future could turnaround in Q4 2015, report says
* Paribus Raises $2.1 Million For Its Service That Saves Online Shoppers Money When Prices Drop
* Fantastical for iPhone Adds 3D Touch Support, Fantastical for iPad Gains Split-Screen Multitasking
* Save 45% on the Dyconn 12-Port USB Powered Hub [DEALS]

* Arbitration-eligible White Sox won't put dent in payroll
* Hawk Harrelson's reduced schedule creates opportunity for White Sox...
* Holliday, Ventura connection goes way back
* 2015 in 3 words: Sale, Abreu, inconsistency
* Hawk cutting '16 broadcast schedule
* Podcast: Shifting the target
* White Sox face toll of three losing seasons

* Governor Rauner Increasing Pressure on Democrat.....
* Illinois governor increases pressure on Democra.....
* Rauner increasing pressure on Democrats for bud.....
* Rauner Says He's Talking To Democrats, But They.....
* Rauner increasing pressure on Democrats for bud.....
* Rauner increasing pressure on Democrats for bud.....
* GOP Gov. Rauner looks to ramp up pressure on Il.....
* Rauner increasing pressure on Democrats for bud.....
* Rauner increasing pressure on Democrats for bud.....
* Rauner increasing pressure on Democrats for bud.....

* Rauner increasing pressure on Democrats for budget deal
* Fox Lake officer's death investigation cost tops $300,000
* Illinois corn, soybean harvests at the halfway mark
* Fire strikes 92-year-old church on Chicago's South Side
* Watseka woman is go-to cat mom for animal rescue
* Stevenson family exhibit on hold due to Illinois budget feud
* Rockford losing its air connection to New York City area
* Cook County to demolish 7 buildings on Oak Forest campus
* Man faces murder charges in 2013 carjacking crash in Chicago
* Illinois reducing fees on college savings plan

* Providers, clients bash Rauner administration changes to day care eligibility
* Illinois stops paying local health clinics for STD testing
* Panel recommends Rep. Mautino for Illinois auditor general
* Chancellor Koch: Budget pressures growing for UIS, other schools
* Illinois to implement new ratings for schools, districts
* Budget impasse cuts services for domestic abuse victims
* Weaver tapped to replace LaHood in Illinois Senate
* Peoria city councilman tapped to replace Darin LaHood in Illinois Senate

* AB InBev makes a third offer for SABMiller
* SABMiller snubs AB InBev's third offer
* Art Institute President Douglas Druick is retiring
* McCarthy says he'll stay on despite complaints
* DC mayor announces settlement in Exelon, Pepco merger

* Regular season carries more weight than ever for Blackhawks
* Meet the newest Blackhawks
* Patrick Kane remains the Blackhawks’ biggest X-factor
* NHL season preview and predictions
* Mihalopoulos: Ald. Burns could wind up feeling the heat
* ‘I’m not done,’ Karen Lewis says a year after cancer diagnosis
* McCarthy ‘extremely disrespectful’ to council, one alderman tells him
* McCarthy ‘extremely disrespectful’ to council, Ald. Beale tells top cop
* Emanuel on McCarthy: ‘I’m standing by him’
* Neighborhood fests overlooked, some aldermen say

* Analysis finds $300,000 cost after Fox Lake officer's death
* Extra-alarm fire at nearly century-old church in Woodlawn
* State panel meets today to consider more conditions for medical pot use
* Emanuel wants CPS property tax hike but mum on spending specifics
* 1 dead, 8 wounded in shootings in Chicago
* Murder charge filed in 2013 crash that killed Chicago boy during cop chase
* McHenry High schools remain shut as teachers strike enters Day 5
* Motorcyclist dies in crash on Edens in Skokie
* Trial underway for man accused of killing Metra officer
* Chicago Teachers Union president running for re-election

* Providers, clients bash Rauner administration changes to day care eligibility
* Illinois stops paying local health clinics for STD testing
* Panel recommends Rep. Mautino for Illinois auditor general
* Michael Gerson: Presidential tantrums won't end gun violence
* E.J. Dionne: The conservative evasion on guns
* Michael Solberg and Amy Ayala: System works against the mentally ill in Illinois' prisons, jails
* Esther Cepeda: Spare the talk of an 'Asian invasion'
* Kathleen Parker: The GOP’s (New) McCarthyism
* Clark Bullard: Unclear if CWLP’s proposed rate changes are fair
* Chancellor Koch: Budget pressures growing for UIS, other schools

* Podcast: Nichole Millage 10-7-15
* Meg Makes: A perfect pair of spaghetti pairings
* Deadline allows lawmakers to hide
* Apprentice program fosters skilled techs
* Area history, Oct. 7, 2015
* This day in history, Oct. 7, 2015
* That's Entertainment: Spotlighting events in and around the area
* Drainage costs may determine location for potential new Monticello high school
* Illinois Ancestors: Global cemetery meeting set for Saturday
* 'Walk, listen, learn' in Cerro Gordo

* How core Blackhawks plan to keep amazing run going
* Bills shuffle kickers by signing Cundiff, releasing Gay
* Monsanto posts 4Q loss, to eliminate 2,600 jobs to cut costs
* Authorities: Facebook dispute leads to shooting in Aurora
* AP News in Brief at 9:57 a.m. EDT

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Finally, a bipartisan bill in Congress - L......
* Lawmakers Look at Sentencing Reform - Rive......

* La Grange Park senior meets president, get......
* Duckworth, Kirk trade barbs over Letterman......

* Sunday posts, pics and tweets.
* The sports section. Pittsburgh, 2007.
* Aurora Township GOP censures U.S. Senator Mark Kirk
* McCarter launches primary challenge in 15th CD
* Illinois conservatives could find Kirk alternative in IL GOP primary
* Milton Township GOP picks Marco Rubio in straw poll
* Thorner: Will Ted Cruz be the Establishment's Final Ploy to Stop Trump?
* Two Illinois day care owners now "free to care" [video]
* New book offers REALTOR® safety tips for discount
* Drews becomes IAR president; logo celebrates IAR’s 100 years

* IEMA Announces Elgin Community College Attains ‘Ready to Respond Campus’ Designation - Elgin one of five Illinois campuses to receive distinction
* New Mortgage Loan Interface Increases Efficiency, Compliance
* State Fire Marshal Ushers In Fire Prevention Week - “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep!”
* October Is Illinois College Application Month! - Over 130 High Schools Will Hold Events to Help Students Get to College
* Illinois Takes Part in Nationwide Community Banking Study, Findings Announced