Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Watch out for the quiet ones
Watch out for the quiet ones

Wednesday, Oct 9, 2013

* Yesterday’s blog post about Illinois House candidate Richard Chapman’s pledge to oppose Sharia Law resulted in quite a bit of mocking in comments. For instance

The Wing Nut wing of the Republican Party!

* But, in reality, Chapman has been a quiet, moderate, work-a-day mayor of Shorewood

Ask Mayor Rick Chapman what Shorewood means to him, and he’ll tell you: it’s all about the people.

That was the overarching message of his 2012 State of the Village Address last week-Putting people back to work. Giving people a break on their taxes. Bringing people, and their businesses to Shorewood. Chapman said he was both “proud and lucky” to be offering his tenth of such speeches to the Shorewood community.

“I’ve got a good story to tell,” he said “So it’s easy for me. Shorewood seems to be in good shape.”

Chapman said that 2012-13 continued to be a time of recovery for the village, as it has begun to see a resurgence of sales tax revenue. December 2011 saw the first month sales tax revenues exceeded $300,000 since fiscal year 2007-08.

Tax rebates offered to big box retailers also are coming to an end, and the village is beginning to see more and more tax dollars come in to fund the village coffers, he said.

Additionally, Chapman told the audience there had been no village layoffs since 2009.
“The downturn from 2009-10 caused us to re-think how the village staffs and services its community,” he said. “Through that, we have become more efficient.”

That efficiency-minded government also turned its attention to construction and infrastructure, said Chapman, who praised a 2011 partnership with the City of Joliet to extend a sewage and water system along Black Road. The project, which was cumbersome to commuters, was well worth the struggle, Chapman said, as it resulted in better water service for Shorewood residents and a more comprehensive system for Joliet’s West side. Shorewood loaned Joliet the $14 million for the project, and is being repaid with water service.

[Chapman] said that he admires the effort that Cross has put in to his work in Springfield on behalf of the residents of the 97th district and wanted to insure that they continue to have a strong advocate in the general assembly.

“We need to maintain that,” he said.

He even raised the village’s tax levy during tough times in 2008.

* So, the lesson here is that you can’t always tell. The person who sent me Chapman’s flier knew Chapman and didn’t originally know if the guy was a Democrat or a Republican. He thought Chapman was just a moderate, reasonably successful and popular local mayor.

* Meanwhile, Chapman’s tea party primary opponent calls himself “The Bat.”

I kid you not. “The Bat.”

Check out his campaign logo

Republican voters may have a tough choice in that district. An anti-Sharia Law crusader or a caped crusader.

1. - Federalist - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:43 am:

I was one of those who did not mock him.

2. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:45 am:

……….

……….

I might be too sad to respond.

(Whisper) I miss Tom.

3. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:47 am:

- Federalist -,

Did Rich leave you in charge of how we should respond and post?

Lemme know. Thanks.

4. - Not OneMan That's For Sure - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:49 am:

I live in the area, I think he was off base about the Sharia Law thing.

Batinick had the same logo when he ran for county auditor, I almost stole a sign…

5. - OneMan - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:50 am:

The above was in fact from OneMan

Also more on the logo

6. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:51 am:

If Batinick would have put his name IN THE BAT, and then kinda had a 3D thing… with the bat looking like its flapping its wings….

I need yard signs for both these guys….not to put up, just to… you know … have.

7. - Norseman - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:52 am:

=== Chapman’s tea party primary opponent ===

Please enlighten us on the subject. Not doubting you, just think the folks (those who vote in that area) need to be educated.

As for Chapman, is there some disease infecting GOP moderates turning them into raving loons. Willy, please get vaccinated. The reference to Sharia law and the book certainly belies the storyline that he’s a moderate.

8. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:59 am:

I know nothing about this Batinick person but I love those campaign signs. Not sure what he ran for last election but I remember them really standing out when I stopped by an exit off I-55 in that district right before the last election and saw all the yard signs up next to each other.

Oh and after reading that Patch link on “The Bat” it appears he is affiliated with Adam A. as he’s chairman of the For the Good of Illinois PAC.

9. - Bill White - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:01 am:

2084 was published in December 2012 and resisting Sharia law is on Chapman’s list of priorities for the future of Illinois.

That said, the bat sign is fabulous!

===

Tom Cross really should have lined up a credible replacement for his own seat before jumping into the Treasurer’s race.

That kinda is what caucus chairs are supposed to do.

10. - Linus - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:04 am:

I, for one, am simply surprised to learn that Chapman is not his own “tea party primary opponent.”

11. - too obvious - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:04 am:

Rick Chapman tried to more than triple his pay as mayor. Failed so far.

Don’t know how moderate that is.

12. - TheEwe - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:04 am:

Oh yeah, this guy is a typical Illinois politician:http://www.buglenewspapers.com/sentinel/article_389d99de-cf59-11e1-9af4-0019bb30f31a.html
    At least “The Bat” has a website where you can see what he stands for. I think I’m going to electthebat.com. Not giving up on Republicans yet.

13. - South of I-80 - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:05 am:

I’m so glad that I live South of I-80! Not that we don’t have issues, but………….

14. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:14 am:

- Bill White -

We went over this yesterday.

Tom and I golfed, we chatted, that is all I can say …

To - Bill White -,

Kinda snark, kinda to the point;

1) I don’t think Tom thought after Lisa stayed put, he would feel the “need” to leave. No reason to look for a replacement for himself.

2) Once you leave and focus on another race, that is the focus. If Tom was going to backfill the spot, he had those weeks leading up to his formal announcement to do so. Maybe Tom chose not to, given most of the Kendall County establishment have “set up” a nerve center with all the local officials focusing on helping Tom win. The prioirity is Cross keeping a foothold in a leadership role for Kendall County. Period.

A back-bench freshman House Rep. will not get done what the Treasurer can do, if need be in a pinch.

So, leave it to Durkin, don’t pick sides in a Primary fight for an open seat, and make sure Tom Cross is the Nominee and the next Treasurer of the state of Illinois.

15. - TheEwe - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:21 am:

My link above shows that Mr. Rick “Anti-Sharia” Chapman was asking for a massive (350%) pay raise right before his re-election. Not in favor of foreign laws being applied in this country either but Illinois has bigger fish to fry –like getting rid of big government, big spending blow-hards.

16. - Barrett - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:25 am:

Bill-
    Had Cross lined up a successor, he would have been assailed for cronyism and insider deals. Best to let the local GOP sort through the field and work with Durkin’s team. It’s a solid GOP seat.

17. - Chris - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:25 am:

I pledge to oppose returning the Louisiana Purchase to France, and the sale of Alaska back to Russia. And I will *vigorously* oppose those proposals, whether made by supporters or opponents of Sharia law, .

Can I run for office, too?

18. - OneMan - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:28 am:

TheEwe…

Reading that reminded me in part how when I was a kid the mayor of the town I grew up in (Dolton) took a pass on a raise since his Social Security check had gone up with a COLA…

19. - TwoFeetThick - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:29 am:

Another seat soon to be picked up by Madigan, with Republican candidates like these. He’s going to need to build a new wing at the State House to fit everyone.

20. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:32 am:

I think if DC Comics ever becomes aware of the Bat Man, he’ll be receiving a cease-and-desist letter for purloining their copyrighted logo for his signage.

C’mon, man, you can’t just steal stuff.

21. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:36 am:

I wish this was a joke.

So badly.

22. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:39 am:

OK, stating that you’re going to protect us from Sharia law, is a sign of profound ignorance. Also that you are giving credence to some of the most ridiculous purveyors of nonsense on the web and radio.

Does that make you unable to be a good state rep?

Maybe not, if you bring a lot of other positive things to the party.

We had a long-term rep say on the floor that accepting gay unions is what “caused the Roman Empire to fall.” Another that “99% of welfare goes for drugs.”

23. - Stones - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:44 am:

That’s too darn funny but it does leave many opportunities for branding! LOL

24. - Mr Pink - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:53 am:

Holy Copyright Infringement, Batman!

25. - Chris - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:53 am:

“I think if DC Comics ever becomes aware of the Bat Man”

I would guess that’s why he is merely “The Bat”.

But the yellow and black might cause an issue. Shoulda used red or something.

26. - Big Time - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 11:54 am:

Linus, I had the same thought.

27. - A guy... - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 12:14 pm:

Slinger, it’s probably changed enough from the copyright to get by. You’d be stunned at how lenient that stuff has become. Small alterations are often good enough. He’s also not using it to compete with their brand for commercial purposes.
    O Willie, your hometown is kind of an interesting place these days. Sharia Law? Didn’t know that was a biggie out there. If you’re all covered up, how we gonna recognize you when we see you? I think this fella would like this one back to rephrase, eh?

28. - Cool Hand - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 12:16 pm:

To the author: Really? You’re going to ridicule someone for their logo/sign? One that is very catchy and memorable in the district? How juvenile.

29. - MrJM - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 12:20 pm:

Do they sell bananas along I-55 or just grow ‘em?

– MrJM

30. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 12:23 pm:

=== You’re going to ridicule someone for their logo/sign?===

Actually, I was ridiculing his nickname.

But, see also D-Lard.

31. - Chris - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 12:35 pm:

“To the author: Really? You’re going to ridicule someone for their logo/sign? ”

How do you feel about the abundant mockery of Obama’s “Hope” and/or “Change”?

Feel that all of that is also juvenile?

32. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 1:10 pm:

==If anyone lives in that area please be objective and state whether he has a point or whether he is way off base. ==

Are you kidding me? You don’t have to live in the area to see that the Sharia Law thing has no basis in reality. Stop being dense.

33. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 1:12 pm:

I think I noted yesterday that Chapman’s flier was pretty run of the mill stuff for a candidate. Made legitimate points. Until you got to that Sharia Law nonsense. Leave that off and you would have had a perfectly fine flier.

34. - Boone's is Back - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 1:28 pm:

Wow you can write this stuff. HDems may very well have a legitimate chance to take Cross’ seat. I thought it was a joke, but clearly, it is not.

35. - Boone's is Back - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 1:28 pm:

can’t*

36. - Federalist - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 1:55 pm:

@Oswego,

No he did not. But you sure seem to be sensitive to a question that was asked honestly and hoping to shed at least some light on the issue.

37. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 1:56 pm:

- A guy… -,

They live in the District, but the “Law Man” is the Mayor of Shorewood, not Oswego, and the “Bat Guy” is not from Oswego, from Will County somewhere, so we in the Oswego Hinterlands lay claim to neither …(whew!)

38. - Federalist - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 1:59 pm:

@Demoralized,

About the last thing I am is dense. So stop the persona invectives.

Really rather pathetic.

39. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:00 pm:

- Federalist -

===No he did not.===

Ok, thanks.

I just had one of those “Oh Jeez!” thoughts;

The 13th Ward knocking on doors in Oswego… with a saner candidate to push.

Where are my Plummer Meds…

40. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:03 pm:

===If anyone lives in that area please be objective and state whether he has a point or whether he is way off base.===

When you get your own Blog, we will make sure to follow your rules.

===Beginning to suspect something is up when I ask a legitimate question and some people try to denigrate me rather than answering the question providing they have some actual knowledge.

Really rather pathetic.===

Rich runs a great place here, how about we just let’s see how this all goes?

41. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:14 pm:

=== Beginning to suspect something is up when I ask a legitimate question and some people try to denigrate me===

Maybe the problem is you, or your question.

I don’t see how living in that area would make someone more qualified to comment on the imminent danger of imposition of Sharia Law.

42. - Federalist - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:16 pm:

Oswego Willy,

Thanks for proving my point!

You sure seem to want to monitor comments on this site and subtly encouraging Rich to intercede.

Now that we know you have nothing informative to say on this matter, let us both cease and desist and move on.

I have asked a legitimate question. If anyone wants to respond in a legitimate and non personal manner, please feel free to do so.

43. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:19 pm:

===If anyone wants to respond in a legitimate and non personal manner, please feel free to do so. ===

lol, You crack me up!

44. - Federalist - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

Rich,
    Don’ see how asking the following question is anything but entirely appropriate:

“If anyone lives in that area please be objective and state whether he has a point or whether he is way off base.”

I did not even ask how qualified one had to be in my original question, but was clearly asking for any insight or observations and for one to be objective as possible.

And the answers could go either way.

45. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:26 pm:

–If anyone lives in that area please be objective and state whether he has a point or whether he is way off base. –

Huh? Shorewood isn’t on the dark side of the moon. The Pony Express still runs and the telegraph lines are operational.

I imagine if Sharia law was being implemented in the Will County Courts we would have head about it.

46. - Norseman - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:30 pm:

Fed - Shhhhh, Willy is with the NSA. He’s monitoring all the blogs.

47. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:36 pm:

- Norseman -!

Why do you unmask me?

We need to get petitons ready, I only have $15 left of the $17 from yesterday

48. - PinkSOCIALIST - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:46 pm:

Sharia Law is fundmentally inhumane. The dehumanizing and subjagating effects on women are cruel. Mocking an attempt to ban Sharia Law is ignorant - there ARE those who ARE attempting to allow Sharia Law right here in the USA under the guise of freedom of religon.

49. - D P Gumby - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:48 pm:

The Bat could fund his campaign selling the signs–if he can establish they are not a trademark/copyright violation. Where can I get one?
    People afraid of Sharia law know nothing about the legal system or conflict of laws. Most have the same fantasy that the Mayor has in his book–that it’s creeping in like the old “yellow menace”. A statute prohibiting the enforcement of Sharia law is like prohibiting the enforcement of Delaware law–why?

50. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:49 pm:

===Mocking an attempt to ban Sharia Law is ignorant - there ARE those who ARE attempting to allow Sharia Law right here in the USA under the guise of freedom of religon.===

Ok, where in Illinois is this happening? In the 97th District? Will county? Lincoln County?

Where is this happening, educate me.

Which Judge? Which Court? Where is this tidal wave in Illinois?

Wait .. one sec, (fumbling for tin hat, looks in mirror, strightens it, winks and points at self in mirror…)

Ok, Now! … go ahead.

51. - Buster - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 2:50 pm:

Batty vs The Bat.
    This is what we’ve come to.

52. - GOPgal - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 3:08 pm:

Mark Batinick is actually a very level headed professional. I don’t think the tea party level fits.

53. - Chris - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 3:10 pm:

“Mocking an attempt to ban Sharia Law is ignorant - there ARE those who ARE attempting to allow Sharia Law right here in the USA under the guise of freedom of religon.”

Presuming that by “Sharia Law”, you actually mean “a particular interpretation of Christian ‘biblical’ law”, then you may have a point.

54. - HHS - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 3:25 pm:

The Bat is an awesome candidate and will be a great State Representative. You have to love the signs

55. - I'm just saying - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 3:34 pm:

He’s listed as the chair of Adam Andrejewskis PAC, oh boy oh boy this is going to be great!!!!

56. - Plainfield Pat - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 4:23 pm:

I guess when u have nothing to point to, you make fun of a creative logo/marketing idea. OH NO? Not a Tea Partier too? God forbid we have less taxes, less spending,more accountable government. Who needs those crazy ideas? I met Chapman and Batinick. Chapman is not Batinicks league,

57. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 4:25 pm:

Y’all seem overly attached to a logo. Lighten up a bit, Francises.

58. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 4:48 pm:

Bat, meet Dingbats. Geez.

59. - Robin - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 6:09 pm:

Mark Batinick is a young guy who simply sought to have some fun and humor with his political campaigning. He just thought that the “Bat logo” (along with his last name of BATinick) would be catchy. Obviously, he was right as it has caught your attention.
    Whether you are a GOP or a Dem, I can assure you that Mark isn’t a wing-nut for anybody. Far from it. He is a very intelligent and witty young man from the Plainfield area. He has a lovely wife and a couple of great kids. He is a passionate guy who loves people and wants to make Illinois government something that we (and his kids) can be proud of for a change. “Nothing more and nothing less” than that. The best description of him would be that he “thoroughly analyzes the issues” before he takes a stand for or against anything.Personally, I think we need more guys like him down in Springfield. Ironically, his kids dog’s name is “Alfred”. (Just teasing).

60. - Federalist - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 6:29 pm:

Pinksocialist,

You stated:

“there ARE those who ARE attempting to allow Sharia Law right here in the USA”

Specific examples, please.

61. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 6:40 pm:

There is no one trying to impose Sharia law in this country, except maybe a few radical muslim clergy. There is no one with any power paying any attention to them, and it isn’t actually happening anywhere in America.

There is also no one in this country who believes this is even a remote risk, except a few radical political victims who betray their ignorance. Often what they say they are afraid of is not related to Sharia at all.

Most of us don’t spend to much time arguing the issue, because it’s like arguing with someone who believes the Earth is really flat because it looks like that to them.

BTW, I am fairly well-informed on the subject, for a layman.

62. - Federalist - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:17 pm:

walkinfool,

You may or may not be correct, but in case you did not notice it was the topic that was being addressed.

63. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Oct 9, 13 @ 10:20 pm:

===You may or may not be correct===

Who is imposing it?

Where in Illinois? What Judge? What cases?

64. - Demoralized - Thursday, Oct 10, 13 @ 9:19 am:

@Federalist:

Let me make this clear for you. There’s not a danger here in terms of Sharia Law. Period. The fact that you even asked the question makes me wonder if you actually believe it might be a problem. If you have any examples then by all means share them. I have a feeling Mr. Chapman is pandering to the anti-Muslim crowd. That’s fine I guess. But he looks like a loon to most of the sane world in doing so.

* Reader comments closed until Memorial Day
* Population loss threatens home rule powers
* Rauner appears open to yet another expansion of the death penalty
* New Rauner online ad slams Pritzker over Madigan (again)
* Attendance issues
* It's just a bill
* A couple more weird Republican candidates slip through the screens
* Senate ignores IRS warning, passes tax work-around bill
* Mayor Emanuel's bill sponsor: "This is NOT a carjacking bill"
* Stop Illinois Big Coal Bailouts
* Today's quotable: "It's just show-biz"
* The taxes no one wants to talk about
* *** LIVE *** Session coverage

* Bernard Schoenburg: Prosecutors question quick .....
* Spaulding Veteran Memorial hosts Memorial Day c.....
* Conservative group slams effort to reinstate de.....

* Air quality warnings posted for balance of holiday weekend
* Chicago photographer's project shows disparities in the city
* Chicago-area man facing drug charges captured in Mexico
* Illinois school apologizes after backlash over yearbook
* EXCHANGE: Child of refugees completes journey to graduation
* EXCHANGE: Education, artistic talent combined in K-9 kits
* Vote expected on new Chicago police training academy
* Cases of fired pathologist reviewed after wrong rulings
* Jack Johnson's niece visits grave after posthumous pardon
* Indiana man receives life term in 7 women's deaths

* Bernard Schoenburg: Prosecutors question quick return to death penalty
* Statehouse Insider: Legislature puts on the breaks
* Plan for Springfield casino floated again, but won't be part of expansion this year
* Illinois House divided on allowing police drone surveillance at events
* Downstate lawmakers propose reinstating death penalty
* Bill to allow police drone crowd surveillance in limbo in Illinois House
* House OKs bill to pay $63M in back wages owed to 24,000 workers
* Lawmaker charging retaliation wants complaint system changes
* Bill to give Sangamon County first dibs on state jobs passes Senate
* Illinois House considers using marijuana to fight opioids

* Chance, six others depart DuSable board in shakeup
* The opioid treatment gap
* Detroit offered $4 billion for Amazon HQ2
* Fiat Chrysler recalls 4.8 million vehicles over cruise-control flaw
* ComEd bills are rising this summer—and more after that

* Seoul: North Korea committed to US summit, denuclearization
* Woman found strangled to death in West Garfield Park
* More LGBTQ issues loom as justices near wedding cake decision
* Joshua Holt arrives in US after being jailed in Venezuela for 2 years
* Meeting draws people angry over fatal police shooting in Virginia
* Southern states prepare as Subtropical Storm Alberto heads north
* “Hero teacher” released from hospital, U.S. Rep says
* Anderson, Abreu power White Sox past Tigers
* Chicago sees hottest Memorial Day weekend in 5 years, hitting 90 degrees
* Cubs put Yu Darvish on 10-day disabled list with triceps tendinitis

* American jailed in Venezuela for 2 years arrives in U.S. with family
* North and South Korean leaders hold surprise meeting in DMZ to get U.S. summit back on track
* Florida declares state of emergency as storm Alberto approaches
* Cubs rotation will have to find its bearings without Yu Darvish for now
* Cubs catcher Victor Caratini heads to the minors for more playing time
* Chris Paul receiving regular treatment to return for Rockets
* Senate aide's backchannel with 'Dracula' helped free Utah man in Venezuela
* Trump accused media of using a ‘phony’ source. It was a White House official giving a press briefing.
* Man held on 30K, accused of firing shots off Marina City balcony
* 5 things to know about Six Flags' new Hangover thrill ride

» Elgin Teachers Roundly Reject Novel Contract
» State Week: Budget Optimism, Retaliation Charged In House
» Police Drone Surveillance Measure Crashes In Illinois House
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: May 25, 2018
» Web Extra, The Week in Review: NFL Policy a Fumble?
» The Week in Review: Madigan Faces Retaliation Claims
» Reuniting Families with Military Medals; Author Chibundu Onuzo; Best Illinois Books
» #652 Give the Drummer Some
» Despite IRS Warning, Illinois Senate Approves Federal Tax Workaround
» May 24, 2018 - Full Show

* Bernard Schoenburg: Prosecutors question quick return to death penalty
* Our View: Aldermen should not rescind TIF dollars for downtown renovation
* Statehouse Insider: Legislature puts on the breaks
* Angie Muhs: Happy to welcome another Reader Advisory Board
* Illinois House divided on allowing police drone surveillance at events
* From the battlefield to the basketball court – Arlyn Lober survived WWII and dedicated himself to teaching
* Downstate lawmakers propose reinstating death penalty
* Bill to allow police drone crowd surveillance in limbo in Illinois House
* House OKs bill to pay $63M in back wages owed to 24,000 workers

* Take a tour around the Summer Camp grounds: there's a little bit of everything
* HS Boys Track: 2018 State Finals
* Decatur's Avenue of Flags honors those who served
* Significant Strutures: Urbana's Stephens Building
* One dead in Whiteside County rollover crash
* Can food assistance program in Peoria be fixed?
* Class 3A Regional Title HS Baseball: Central vs Mt. Zion
* Indoor fun in the summer
* Enjoy the beautiful outdoors picking apples, sipping wine
* Morthland College is closing, according to an attorney for the West Frankfort school

* Marine wants families to see true stories of loves one lost in war
* Chicago White Sox have their eye on OSU's Madrigal
* Cubs place Darvish on 10-day DL for second time this season
* 5 new suburban events and exhibits coming this summer
* Full-time police resource officer considered for District 70 schools

* Star Wars Day: Why 2018 Will Be Joliet's B...
* Star Wars Day: Why 2018 Will Be Joliet's B...
* Durbin Open to Idea of "Working for Benefits"
* Chaffetz and Krishnamoorthi react to Santa...
* Underwood rally draws more than 300 suppor...
* Lobbying intensifies for advance refunding...
* EDITORIAL: Sign your names, GOP Congressme...
* US Surgeon General speaks at Community Lea...
* Blockchain Is 'World-Changing', Says US Co...
* Pritzker stumps in Aurora, wants independe...

* Joshua Holt, American Held In Venezuela, I......
* Joshua Holt, American Held In Venezuela Fo......
* The Latest: Trump welcomes freed American ......
* The Latest: Holts had worried their releas......
* The Latest: American jailed in Venezuela r......

* EXCLUSIVE: Attorney general hopeful Zephyr......
* Sen. Tammy Duckworth expresses support for......
* After push from 2 Philly moms, Amtrak adds......
* Sen. Tammy Duckworth Backs NFL Players Who......
* How area members of Congress voted on vets......

* Racial Diversity in EdTech: Little Data Available and A Lot of Work Ahead
* Unbundling the 4-year degree: How to design education for the future
* How to overcome 10 digital learning challenges
* How Can We Improve Accessibility Through Instructional Design?
* Where Are All the Faculty in the Open Education Movement?
* Using Google to Maximize Student Organization and Productivity
* EXTRA: Are you sure immigrants are taking over everything in this nation
* Volokh: Blocking of Twitter Users from @RealDonaldTrump Violates First Amendment
* Former Jewel store lot at 83rd/King Drive is for sale...
* Study: 2013 School closings hurt Chicago’s children. But CPS CEO Janice Jackson says she will not be deterred from closing schools.

* IEMA Releases New Broadcast Campaign Focusing on Functional Needs Emergency Preparedness
* Rend Lake Water Conservancy District Water Main Break
* Statement from Gov. Rauner
* IEMA Highlights Emergency Preparedness for People with Access and Functional Needs in May
* IEMA Highlights Role of Volunteers in Disasters

* Weekly poll results: Two-thirds of people love the OnePlus 6
* Deal of the day: 45% Off Fader Stealth self-flying drone
* Let’s take a look at the new YouTube Music (hands-on)
* Cloud computing sticker shock is now a monthly occurrence at many companies
* New York City’s subway disaster now has its own 8-bit video game
* Leaked Xiaomi Mi 8 retail box confirms dual camera, dual GPS module and no 3.5mm jack
* Snow, the Korean Snapchat clone, now has its own version of Animoji