*** UPDATED *** Hang in there, Carlos!

Monday, Aug 31, 2009

* Tonight’s thought is: Hope.

My friend Carlos Hernandez-Gomez underwent surgery today at Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in Milwaukee.

Carlos has been very sick the last several months. He has cancer.

Those of us who know the longtime Chicago reporter (WBEZ, CLTV) are just heartbroken at his illness. But the man has plenty of fight left in him and he even went back to reporting for a while.

His latest update on his FaceBook page reads…

Heading to Froedtert Hospital for my radical and God-willing life-saving surgery

Carlos’ colleague Judy Garcia posted this update earlier today…

He went into surgery about 7:30 this morning and is expected out some time after 3:30. He will initially be in ICU — no flowers, only 2 visitors at a time for 15 mins at a time. All prayers gratefully accepted!

Carlos is an avid reader of this blog, so please take some time tonight and tomorrow morning to send him some love. Thanks.

*** UPDATE - 1:22 am *** From Randi’s FaceBook page

The surgery is over, and it went very well. The doctor removed all cancer in his abdomen and pumped it with chemo to ensure all cells are gone!!! Thank you for your concerns and your prayers and we will have another I can see him, could be a few hours. [8 hours ago]

Just left intensive care, where Carlos was entertaining me and the entire nursing staff. They told me not to expect him to be talking, that would have been so out of character. [about an hour ago ]

Carlos and I thank everyone for their continued prayers, they must be working. He can’t wait till he’s out of ICU so he can “face” and “tweet” updates directly to you. [about an hour ago]

Great news.

1. - James the Intolerant - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:10 pm:

Good luck Carlos! My daughter worked for the Mash (Trib’s high school newspaper) last year and she said you spoke one day and you were terrific. The city needs reporters like you.

2. - The Doc - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:11 pm:

CGH always impressed with the depth and breadth of his political reporting, without sounding wonkish or self-important.

Here’s to a full and speedy recovery.

3. - been there - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:11 pm:

I’m saying many prayers for you, Carlos!

Having survived cancer twice, I can tell you that what nobody could have beaten just a few years ago, you now can beat.

4. - Rep. Greg Harris - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:12 pm:

Get better soon Carlos. You will be in all our thoughts and prayers!

5. - 10th Indy - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:17 pm:

Be well Carlos. We are keeping you in our prayers.

6. - Eric Zorn - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:23 pm:

Johanna and I both send love and good thoughts your way, CHG. Illinois needs you!

7. - Willie Stark - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:32 pm:

Carlos, you are the real deal. A class guy who fits the model of a true Chicago newsman. You know Illinois history and politics much better than most in the biz that I’ve encountered. And, you have a terrific sense of humor. It’s always a pleasure to run into you. Hope you are up and at ‘em again real soon.

8. - Elizabeth Austin - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:38 pm:

Carlos, your strength and character are so evident from the passion you bring to reporting. I have so much respect for the way you have conducted yourself throughout this ordeal. You are an inspiration to us all. Please get well very soon.

9. - Will County Woman - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:39 pm:

I saw Carlos discussing his illness on Chicago Tonight not too long ago.

Please take care and I wish you well. The Chicago electronic media needs more tenacious reporters like you! I really like how you break things down on Chicago Tonight—your honesty is refreshing!

10. - MrJM - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:40 pm:

Fight hard, CHG!

We need more journalists with tenacity and class.

– MrJM

11. - AFG - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:42 pm:

Hang in there, Carlito. You’ve got this beat. We’re all cheering for you back home and looking forward to pizza and beer when you’re on the mend. Fiction is always a nice way to unplug and heal — maybe we’ll send you Rod’s book?

12. - Steve - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 5:56 pm:

Carlos, we wish you all the best. We say all this because you are one of the best reporters in America. Just know, we are thinking about you.

13. - El Boricua de Hoffman - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:02 pm:

Oye Boricua, Buena Suerte. Prayers are with you.

14. - Luke - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:03 pm:

Carlos is awesome. He’s tough and can beat this.

15. - Rob_N - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:03 pm:

Oddly the thing that keeps coming to mind is Carlos’ BEZ sign-off. Even though he used the boilerplate everyone at the station used his always sounded like there was more there there.

Get the bad stuff out and get better soon!

16. - Steve Brown - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:18 pm:

Carlos…you are in our prayers. Stay determined

17. - Oneman - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:30 pm:

You are in our prayers, get better soon. We need you to cover the circus that is going to ne 2010

18. - Bill O Rights - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:30 pm:

God Bless Carlos

19. - Laura Washington - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:35 pm:

I will be fondly remembering your kick-but reporting and the great hats, as you embark on your recovery. See you back on the trail soon!

Laura Washington

20. - sal-says - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:47 pm:

BEST WISHES, Carlos.

Get better quickly.

21. - RWP - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 6:50 pm:

I, too, have long admired your work and, as others have said, your ability to “cut to the chase”. You put some humanity to the subjects you are working on and are one of the people we can count on to be a “real reporter”.

Get well soon!

22. - Anonymous - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 7:03 pm:

Based on the thoughts and prayers offered just on this blog alone–and the radiant smile of the woman next to you–you’ve already beaten what ails you.

Just believe.

All my thoughts and prayers.

23. - moron - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 7:17 pm:

your beat needs you - get well & get back on the job

24. - Cassandra - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 7:23 pm:

I was grateful for the opportunity to hear you discuss your illness on Channel 11 recently.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

25. - Amalia - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 7:29 pm:

carlos, all the best wishes for the work of the healing hands to bring you good health.

26. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 7:32 pm:

Carlos, hang in there. AA and family will pray for you in the days to come. You are the best.

27. - Anon Chicago Resident - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 7:46 pm:

I know I should go to a Walgreens and send a card, but this is cheaper…

I wish you all the best and know that you will be back to help break down the news. I hope that Bruce Dold, John McCarron or Mike Flannery don’t cut your comments off, though. Kidding…about Mike Flannery, only… Get better.

28. - Commonsense in Illinois - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 7:50 pm:

Get well soon. We’ll keep the fun and games going in Illinois politics until your return…and Mrs. CGH, you take care of you, too!

29. - Anonymous45 - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 7:52 pm:

I run into Carlos in Springfield often…I cannot think of a more genuinely nice man than him…I wish you Godspeed and come back with your thoughtful, respected reporting…

30. - You Go Boy - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 8:02 pm:

God is with you, my man. And will be for a long, long time.

31. - Responsa - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 8:03 pm:

Carlos, there is just too much weird and interesting stuff going on right now in Illinois–and we NEED you back “on the case” as soon as possible. You are at the absolute top of your game as a journalist. My family sends our positive thoughts and very best wishes while you are recovering.

32. - Pete Giangreco - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 8:15 pm:

God’s speed, Carlos. Praying for a full recovery.

33. - wordslinger - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 8:40 pm:

Courage, brother. Nothing but prayers and positive thoughts.

34. - Kevin Fanning - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 8:48 pm:

Get well soon Carlos. You were one of the reporters that I looked up to the most in my time with the Fax, and I always loved hearing your angle. W

35. - Gregor - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 9:01 pm:

Lots of reporters do a very superficial job on their political beat. I always thought Carlos was one of the few that took it up a level. You are a good role model for up and coming reporters, we hope you beat this thing and get back to work where your talent is badly needed.

36. - Quizzical - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 9:06 pm:

I second Responsa, lotsa wild and weird stuff coming up. We need Carlos to cover it all — Blago’s trial, Dan Proft’s campaign..not to mention the more mundane stuff that demands real reporting.

37. - Jack Darin - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 9:27 pm:

Carlos -

It goes without saying that people make better choices when they know what’s going on. Your listeners face lots of big choices next year, and you gotta be there for them.

I’ve seen people beat it, and how important a great attitude is. Go for it - be a great story!

38. - Anders Lindall - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 9:27 pm:

Carlos, as the comments here show, you are known to many as a tenacious reporter, an entertaining wit, and a kind and generous spirit. But as you have confronted this challenge we have seen you anew as a tremendously courageous and positive example despite great adversity. Thank you for that. My thoughts are with you.

39. - Victor Crown - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 9:42 pm:

Hey Carlos,

They [the federal judges} set the date for me to bring the papers and clear the Queen [Santos] in December.. and you’re invited. I wouldn’t want to do that without you being there.,.

You’re the only one who can really explain this in real terms.. Keep fighting.. and hang in there..

all my best..

40. - Boone Logan Square - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:00 pm:

Stay strong and live strong Carlos.

41. - Rep. John Fritchey - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:02 pm:

I left you a message today. You’re a great reporter, a better friend, and an even better husband (from what I hear).

Can’t wait for you to recover - if only because the next round is on you.

42. - Rep. David Miller - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:12 pm:

Carlos…always enjoy you on Chicago Tonight. Love the “spunk.” Take care of yourself and that youthful energetic inner spirit, listen to your doctors and most importantly know that we are with you.

43. - Judy Topinka - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:17 pm:

Carlos, I know you will beat this thing…your the most determined guy I know and an inspiration to all of us. Stay strong….come home soon….I will even let you win at scrabble!!

44. - Sen. Dan Rutherford - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:22 pm:

Carlos, wishing you the best. Todays technology is amazing and medicine is top notch in this country. I know I will see you on the trail. Prayers are with you!

45. - Ghost - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:35 pm:

Good luck! Our prayers are with you.

46. - Patrick McDonough - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:48 pm:

Thank for all you have done. I admire you greatly and look forward to your recovery. God Bless!

47. - Chicago-Dem - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:51 pm:

Carlos, get well. We all know you can overcome this. Good Luck!

48. - Avy Meyers - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 10:58 pm:

Get well soon!

49. - Cheswick - Monday, Aug 31, 09 @ 11:54 pm:

Carlos, best wishes, good thoughts, and prayers (especially) for you from Springfield.

50. - Rod Blagojevich - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 12:44 am:

I know you can beat this buddy. Patti and I wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

51. - Shore - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 1:46 am:

Not a fan of the ex-gov but will agree with him and others that you will beat this, and be back in full form for the 2010 races. The average voter like me needs your take on chicago tonight.

get well.

I’m also glad to know you have such a supportive wife there with you. Lucky guy.

52. - LG - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 2:23 am:

Carlos - All prayers & good wishes are with you tonight. Very good news to read the early morning update. Your positive attitude and loving family will see you though this.

53. - Charlie Serrano - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 6:23 am:

Mi Hermanazo - Sending you and your wife loving energy and may your powerful spirit continue to lead you through these times. Praying for your recovery, peace and tranquility. Dios te bendiga. Un Abrazo.

54. - Christian Anderson - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 7:03 am:

Carlos, Sending prayers and healing energy. As a reporter, you have been a great friend to many of us, and we eagerly await your recovery and return.

55. - JonShibleyFan - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 7:08 am:

I don’t know you personally, but have long appreciated your reporting. God’s grace be with you and your family.

56. - Bookworm - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 7:59 am:

Wow, you have already accomplished quite a feat — getting Blago and JBT to agree on something ;-)

God bless you, and stay strong. Hope the good news keeps coming.

57. - Bill - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 8:02 am:

Hang in there, man. You can beat this.

58. - Justice - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 8:07 am:

Wishing you the very best Carlos. Don’t let up….ever!

59. - Sen. William "Willie" Delgado - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 8:28 am:

Carlos, stay strong Humboldt Park sends its love,and resolve your way!! Pa’lante Carlos. Abrazos.

60. - Stuck with Sen. CPA - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 8:31 am:

Good luck to you, Carlos. I enjoy your work and hope to see you back at it soon.

61. - quidproquoIL - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 8:36 am:

Stay strong and prayerful Carlos — our thoughts and prayers are with you!

62. - Third Generation Chicago Native - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 8:46 am:

We are all rooting for you. Get well and come back soon. You are one of best Political Reporters in Chicago, and I love when you are on on the Week in Review with Joel Wiessman, you bring a lot to that panel. You are also great on CLTV, and I know you are a hard worker you are always smooshed in the pack of reporters at all big political events, whether it be Todd Stroger etc.
    I can only wish you well. Have a speedy recovery and come back soon.

63. - dupage dan - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 9:31 am:

May your voice be heard for many years to come. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

64. - Jack Franks - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 9:37 am:

Carlos I know you are going to beat this. Get home soon. We need to go to the Bears Lions game on October 4th.

65. - Will County Woman - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 9:57 am:

Re: Update (surgery a success)

God IS good!

66. - Allen Grosboll - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 9:57 am:

My family and I wish you a speedy recovery. You need to get back to work soon - we need the good guys to keep everyone honest. You are in our prayers.

Al Grosboll

67. - SouthernIL - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 10:09 am:

Dear Carlos,
    Prayers are being sent your way that God may lay his healing hand upon you for a complete and speedy recovery. Blessing the nurses and doctors taking care of you. Hopefully! someone provided you with a “Big” pin to hold that gown closed when you do get up!! “)
    God bless.

68. - NC - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 10:13 am:

You’ve been in my thoughts since I read the news. Get well soon, buddy. Next time you’re in Glascott’s I’m buying.

69. - Say WHAT? - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 10:18 am:

Grateful to hear that surgery went well. I am praying for a strong, healthy recovery. I am standing with you for full, complete restoration and healing. I have a room at home set apart for prayer. I will place you name on the bulletin board there to remind me to pray for you. I have asked my friends at my church and prayer group to join me in praying for you. We will stand with you until we hear that the Drs have confirmed that what we are standing and believing God for has come to pass. Rich, please keep us informed. God bless you Carlos!

70. - Eides Gottfried - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 11:53 am:

Let me wish you a r’fuah shlemah…a complete and speedy recovery… I hope that you are feeling better soon and can continue to get into your favorite sort of mischief! Will keep you in my thoughts…

Can’t believe it has been so many years since the DePaulia and our other activities…

71. - Kristen McQueary - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 1:29 pm:

Prayers heading your way. Hope to see your smiling mug on Chicago Tonight very soon, and hope to hear your profanity-laced off-camera commentary even sooner. Thinking of you today, next week, next month, always. Remember that.

72. - Paul Pablo Fine - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 1:42 pm:

What Gottfried said x 2. Have been in all our thoughts and prayers.

I even had my butt checked because of you. By a doctor this time.

Get well soon.

73. - Yellow Dog - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 4:05 pm:

We’re with you Carlos.

74. - David Bernstein - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 5:28 pm:

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hang in there, pal.

75. - Julio Rausseo - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 6:39 pm:

Hey Carlos, I was grateful to have met you and your wife at the Terri Hemert event in Chicago, and have a few drinks after wards. I just found out about you having cancer and i will have you in my prayers and hope for a speedy recovery. The power of music does wonders to people, I hope that randy and you will have the Beatles White Album or Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. I am happy to say as a Puerto Rican man to have met a follow native as a broadcaster and will continue to my path to become the next.

Peace and Love

Julio Rausseo

76. - Garcia - Tuesday, Sep 1, 09 @ 7:26 pm:

Chihuahua - leave it to pinche Carlitos to get Topinka and Blago to agree on something.
    Pior un tantito, yo tambien estoy de acuerdo.
    I’m jumpin’ on the bandwagon to wish my latino brother a speedy recovery.
    Un fuerte abrazo y un beso mojado -

* Happy Thanksgiving!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Five unanswered questions
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Caption contest!
* Crossing the line
* Moody's warns Illinois
* The Credit Union Difference
* *** UPDATED x1 - Franks responds *** Uh-oh
* Then and now

* iPhone mini, Galaxy Marshmallow updates comments & more – Pocketnow Daily Recap
* Samsung’s new Exynos 8890 SoC tops all benchmark results on AnTuTu
* Fossil Q Founder smartwatch listed as ‘coming soon’ on the Google Store
* Verizon ad wants us to disconnect for the holidays
* Samsung wants you to gift Samsung products this Christmas
* The future is now: Transparent aluminum on your phone
* Make your truck driving dreams come true in TruckSimulation 16

* South Side Sox' SB Nation MLB Awards voting results
* Starting Pitcher Rankings: Chris Sale and Jose Quintana maintain st...
* Scouting profile: Adam Engel
* Alex Avila will try to shed limitations with White Sox
* White Sox program provides kids real chance
* Johnson solid candidate for White Sox rotation
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal

* Little interest in loans to cover state shortfa.....
* Hopes muted for budget meeting - Herald & Review..
* Middle class wages suffer under Democratic poli.....
* A Wealthy Governor and His Friends Are Remaking.....

* Grant supports Alzheimer's research by Peoria professor
* Rockford-based waste services company sold to Texas firm
* 3 teens killed in northern Illinois crash
* Springfield micro-lending fund gives $120K in 1st 2 months
* Project searches for pre-1860 farmhouses in Sangamon County
* Illinois community college plans to boost foreign recruiting
* Historic re-enactors gather at former French fort
* Foul play not suspected in death of southern Illinois woman
* Lawyers for Schock say documents handed over to prosecutors
* EXCHANGE: Highland art teachers exhibit works on campus

* 'Pot doctors' pushing boundaries in Illinois, other states
* Burger King manager: Police erased video of Chicago shooting
* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield jobless rate falls again, to 5.1 percent
* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Number of Illinois inmates released on parole climbing

* How a big deal is changing Chicago's hotel market
* Crain's names Danielle Narcisse copy chief
* What's new at Roti? Its name and a national ambition
* State's job woes start on the factory floor
* Illinois biz community getting walloped

* Patrick Kane sets American record with 19-game point streak
* Kings rally from 2-0 third-period deficit to stun Hawks in OT
* Blackhawks preternatural confidence rubs off on new players
* Joel Quenneville wants Jonathan Toews to keep his gloves on
* Activists circle City Hall with black casket to honor Laquan, Tyshawn
* CPS lags in hiring black teachers
* BGA Public Eye: Dolton voters may get shot to recall trustees
* Blackhawks rally for stunning victory with two late goals
* Aaron Schock’s lawyers voluntarily providing records sought by feds
* In wake of dashcam video, Emanuel must navigate political minefield

* 3 dead, 3 wounded in Chicago shootings
* Man stabbed to death in West Pullman
* Laquan McDonald protests Saturday draw only dozens
* Teen missing nearly month from South Side returns home
* 5 hurt, including seriously injured child, in South Side crash
* Illinois schools' strengths, weaknesses exposed in statewide survey
* West Chicago man charged in cousin's murder
* Young couple who died in McHenry County crash were planning to get married
* Midlothian man charged after roommate's body found in suitcase
* Burger King manager told grand jury of gap in Laquan McDonald video

* Bernard Schoenburg: Book on Blagojevich impeachment lets reader 'be right there'
* Andy Shaw: It's time to crack down on no-bid contracts
* 'Pot doctors' pushing boundaries in Illinois, other states
* Burger King manager: Police erased video of Chicago shooting
* Kristina Rasmussen: Relying on one another, not the government
* Charles Krauthammer: The Syrian immigration cul-de-sac
* Rob Elliott: EPA ethanol ruling affects more than energy policy
* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees

* Asmussen: Keeping Cubit brings stability

* Montini completes perfect season
* Glenbard West players earn championship of their own
* Aurora crash closes Lake Street
* West Chicago teen charged with fatally shooting his cousin
* Glenbard West downs Libertyville for 7A title

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Durbin Backs Duckworth - Alton Daily News...

* Opinion: Sen. Kirk must stand with crimina......

* Chinese Take Out
* "Mexican Food, Opening Soon"
* Tony at the Red Line Tap.
* The cover-up of the killing of Laquan McDonald.
* Keeping retirement weird. Justice is the public face of love.
* RLC Roundup: Drivers Aim Lawsuit At Tinley Park Red Light Cameras
* Dueling pair of children being used to fight for attention of Chicago, world
* No Positive Loitering Tonight
* Fairness.
* It brings out the rats.

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact