Meeks says he’s still a “No” on civil unions. PASSED 32-24-1
Wednesday, Dec 1, 2010
* 11:57 am - Sen. James Meeks said this morning that he intends to vote “No” on the civil unions bill when it comes up for a vote today.
This isn’t much of a surprise since Meeks’ record hasn’t exactly been pro-gay. But there had been some speculation that he might change his mind now that he’s running for mayor of Chicago. But Meeks said if he voted for the bill he’d be deemed a flip-flopper who was pandering for votes ahead of the mayoral election and he planned to stick to his principles.
Of course, the other side is it could be darned tough getting elected in Chicago with that “No” vote on his record.
* You can use this post to discuss the Senate’s civil unions debate, which ought to be soon. Watch or listen here.
• UPDATE: GOP Sen Dan Rutherford just announced that he would vote for the bill. Rutherford was just elected state treasurer.
• UPDATE: The bill passed 32-24 with Sen Ira Silverstein voting Present.
• UPDATE: Sen. Rutherford was the only Republican to vote for the bill.