Question of the day

Monday, Jan 31, 2011

* As subscribers already know, the big snow storm heading our way has canceled both the House and Senate sessions this week. The weather folks are predicting a monster

‘Virtually impossible’ travel possible from expected winter storm

Northern Illinois is bracing for a winter storm that the National Weather Service says could be life-threatening.

Chicago and Milwaukee were expected to be particularly hard-hit.

A blizzard watch is in effect from Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon for most of northern Illinois. The blizzard could bring white-out conditions with snow falling at rates of 2 to 3 inches per hour. The weather service says travel could become “virtually impossible” at times.

* Things aren’t looking so great in central Illinois, either

A winter storm described by the National Weather Service as “extremely dangerous” that could bring up to a foot of snow to some areas of central Illinois is expected to begin about midday today and last into Wednesday.

“This will likely be our strongest storm of the season,” said Kirk Huettl, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service office in Lincoln. “And it’s going to cover a lot of real estate, all the way from the Midwest to the Northeast.”

A mixture of snow, sleet and freezing rain will occur today and Tuesday, then change over to all snow over the entire area by Wednesday as colder air filters into the region.

* The Question: Your blizzard plans?

And be nice to each other in comments, please. I’ve got to get to the store and stock up before this thing hits, so there will be little time to monitor y’all for the next couple of hours.

1. - Anon - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:12 am:

Phone banking for my aldermanic candidate. Everyone’s going to be home!

2. - wordslinger - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:14 am:

Business as usual, until it actually happens. It’s snow, not frogs, dropping from the sky. Maybe I’ll smear a little ram’s blood above my door, just in case.

More often than not in recent years, we get more storm hysteria than storm.

If it happens, I’ll shovel, go sledding with my kids, etc. If you have to have cold, you might as well have snow — keeps everything looking fresh and clean.

3. - unspun - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:14 am:

99 bottles of beer on the wall…..

4. - Cheryl44 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:15 am:

I remembered to buy a flashlight to have in my purse and I guess I should stop for catfood on the way home tonight.

And wine. Catfood and wine.

5. - John - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:16 am:

Hope that my college classes gets canceled and drink…….

6. - in the 'ville - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:17 am:

Do we push back our Wisconsin invasion plans due to the weather?

7. - thechampaignlife - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:17 am:

Catfood and wine…not my cup of tea for emergency rations :-)

8. - Anonymous ZZZ - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:20 am:

Cheryl44…those are my two items, too. Oh, and toilet paper. Don’t want to be without that.

9. - Champaign Dweller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:23 am:

Cheryl44–I have the same list, with litter added. As long as I have food, litter and medication for the cats, and booze for their owner, I can get through any storm.

10. - Cheryl44 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:25 am:

I stocked up on litter last week–took the I-Go car to Target. The food I have to stop at PetSmart or PetCo for, because they’re picky little beasts. Iams is not good enough for them.

11. - Justanordinarylawyer - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:25 am:

sledding and then hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. and a nice roaring fire in the fireplace

12. - shore - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:25 am:

non stop rantings on cap fax message boards and finding whatever that stuff is that lester freeman does a voiceover for on commercials.

13. - Wanting a snow day - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:27 am:

Has snow EVER caused a government shutdown in Chicago? Crossing my fingers that offices will be closed on Wednesday.

14. - Because I say so - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:31 am:

Runnig to the grocery store at lunch time to stock up and have the makings for soup. REALLY hoping to get a snow day.

15. - amalia - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:33 am:

cats and dogs living together…. (or whatever that Ghostbusters quote is) honestly, how bad can it be compared to 1967, 1979 and 1999? if the wires are working, I’ll be working and surfing. god bless the ability not to go into the office, especially on warm and sunny days.

and there’s always that bottle of tequila I got recently……

16. - Concerned Observer - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:33 am:

Unfortunately, some of us HAVE to work regardless of the storm. Wife and I have a hotel room near her workplace, adjacent to the El so I can get to work.

No way were we even considering commuting from the SW suburbs.

17. - Excessively Rabid - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:37 am:

OK, it’s starting. I’ve got a few lovely little flakes the size of pillows coming down. Is a cab the right thing to serve with Fancy Feast Tender Beef Feast Classic? Update - now it’s sleet coming down between the flakes. Uh-oh.

18. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:37 am:

Biggest snowflakes I’ve ever seen are falling near my house. Some the size of cue balls.

19. - Fed-Up - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:41 am:

I’m hopping on a plane to FL this afternoon and I think I’ll stay until after spring training wraps up. If you need me for the WI invasion it will have to wait until I return.

20. - Joe from Joliet - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:43 am:

Same as the last SOTC

“Now I…..had…..the time of my life and I owe it all to…..”

21. - Secret Square - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:44 am:

That should have been the QOTD: “Snowflakes the size of (fill in the blank) are currently falling at your location.”

22. - Champaign Dweller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:45 am:

Excessively rabid–cab is good with the Fancy Feast. In a pinch, you can try a merlot.

23. - Deep South - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:46 am:

You folks up north have fun. I think we’re only gonna get rain down here in God’s Country.

24. - Stones - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:48 am:

I’m planning on being at work…just leaving a little earlier.

25. - zatoichi - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:48 am:

Just move from work to home. Unfortunately, home has too many tempting toys. Plenty of food. Get up a little later and walk the dog during the fun.

26. - quicknote - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:50 am:

So we’re all going to Cheryl44’s then?

27. - just sayin' - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:50 am:

IL lawmakers can’t assemble to do more damage. Thanks God. We owe you one.

28. - Montrose - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:56 am:

My plans consist of coming up with new, cataclysmic names for the storm. snowmagedon and snowpocalypse are played out.

29. - Bill - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:56 am:

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!

30. - Name/Nickname/Anon - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 11:57 am:

All my supervisor heard was “weather has been cancelled,” so I am sending her off on a multi- city airplane trip around the upper Midwest.

31. - Ray del Camino - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:02 pm:

You guys hunker down and be safe up there. Looks like the only political news tomorrow is going to be the Carbondale mayor’s race. (*yawn*)

32. - Irish - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:09 pm:

Still sunny with a little haze here. Appears as though today’s stuff is going just north.
    If blizzard hits; still hoping it will stay north,present track has us getting 18″-24″, I will be going to work anyway. If staff can’t make it in I will be plowing snow all day. COE staff use our roads to access their facility, have to keep road open. Will be an interesting commute. Haven’t missed a day due to weather in 35 years. can’t start now. I am sure I will get an atta boy for my efforts….lol.

Can use the comp time to go way north Wisc. next weekend to go snowmobiling. roflmao

33. - Anonymous - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:10 pm:

I am halfway through the Twin Peaks DVD box set so will continue with that.

34. - Small Town Liberal - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:10 pm:

I sure hope this doesn’t interfere with Chris Christie’s plan to come visit Illinois companies. We all know he’s not a big fan of snow. As for myself, unless the trains aren’t running it will be business as usual. Luckily I stocked up on booze yesterday because my stock was running dangerously low.

35. - Davey Boy Smithe - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:11 pm:

My work is booking hotel rooms for guys that commute from the Chicago suburbs. My company did this for our Georgia employees a few weeks ago when they were hit with snow. Since I live in just a mile outside The Loop, no hotel has been offered to me.

36. - Loop Lady - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:12 pm:

Wine, bread, and thou with a coupla cats thrown in as bedwarmers…my hubby has gassed up the plow…

37. - lakeview - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:12 pm:

I’ll go about my life as normal, because mostly likely, the storm won’t be very big. There will be a lot of disappointed newscasters who are all geared up for Storm Watch!!!, so we can watch a lot of “Well, if the storm had hit, this area would have been devastated, but as you can see, traffic is moving just fine. Now, over to Trent with a story about school children who flushed ice cubes down the toilet but still had to go to school.” Why do I know this? Because nine times out of ten, that’s what comes of all this pre-storm hysteria.

38. - Holdingontomywallet - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:15 pm:

Fire in the fireplace, a Mitch Rapp book, and plenty of spirits…

39. - Wumpus - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:16 pm:

sledding with little wumpus, followed by hot chocolate

40. - Yossarian - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:26 pm:

I have to leave now for a bocci ball game.

41. - Esquire - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:29 pm:

I am fantasizing about a blizzard disrupting the February Chicago Municipal Election.

Decades ago, the party bosses ordained February as the time for holding the election to minimize voter turn out. What is a blizzard hit on election day. Wicked fun!

42. - Grandson of Man - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:29 pm:

Stand outside and shake my fist at the weather in futility. After that, jump off of garage roofs onto snow banks, a la 1978/1979 snows.

43. - Cheryl44 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:31 pm:

==So we’re all going to Cheryl44’s then?==

Is everyone bring a cat? I might have to buy litter, in that case.

44. - Cheryl44 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:31 pm:

==So we’re all going to Cheryl44’s then?==

Is everyone bringing a cat? I might have to buy litter, in that case.

45. - North of I-80 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:33 pm:

Load the fireplace up, top off gas tanks and Pam the shovels & sleds [spray Pledge works almost as well].

46. - Mex Girl - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:34 pm:

Board games and fireplace roaring. Heaven!

47. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:35 pm:

Shoveling out my neighbors.

48. - piling on - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:36 pm:

Make plans to attend the Gov. Christie news conference on Illinois taxes. Heard he’s moving it to Orlando because of the snow, again.

49. - OneMan - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:37 pm:

Keeping the engine of financial trading running smoothly…

Your welcome

50. - Commonsense in Illinois - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:40 pm:

Well let’s see…pray the generator will start, make sure snowplow is mounted and ready to go, store 10 gallons of well water in case we lose power )and therefor the pump becomes inoperative), load in firewood, grab a few sacks of salt and cinders for lane and hill, check propane stove for readiness and fuel, animal food, bird food, people food, wine reading materials…wife…almost forgot that one…Yep, good to go, here.

51. - Cook County Commoner - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:41 pm:

Maybe I’ll watch the Egyptians to see if I can can get some pointers on restoring democracy in Illinois.

52. - Mayoral Candidate Forum - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:41 pm:

Given that the hype is often deeper than the snow, we’re proceeding as scheduled with Wednesday’s Mayoral Candidate Forum at the Union League Club. It’s open to the public, the food’s terrific, and the exchange promises to be lively. If CapFaxers wish to join us, details can be found on the club’s website at www.65West.org.

53. - The KQ - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:46 pm:

Concerned Observer - I have gotten a room at the hotel next door to my job in the past as well. I do the Frankfort to Rolling Meadows commute, but I am lucky enough to be able to work from home in bad weather.

54. - OneMan - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:48 pm:

- Mayoral Candidate Forum

Is there a dress code, can I show up in athletic shoes and a non-collared shirt and jeans?

55. - Patrick McDonough - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:50 pm:

Put on my “I Love Rahm” underwear and watch the Chicago Media fawn over Rahm. I was also thinking of calling the judges and thanking them for changing the residency rules for the anointed one. Maybe call Amy Rule in Washington D.C. and ask if she is happier now! The usual.

56. - wordslinger - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:52 pm:

–I do the Frankfort to Rolling Meadows commute, but I am lucky enough to be able to work from home in bad weather.–

Yeesh, that’s a brutal commute in any weather, brother. Do you have a jetpack or something? Walter Cronkite promised them to us back in grade school.

57. - 312 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:56 pm:

Fireplace - check. Bailey’s - check. Stouffer’s comfort food - check. Hiking boots for walking the dogs - check.

Too bad I work only 3 blocks away from home, I’m expected to be there, no matter what.

58. - Gregor - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:57 pm:

Meh, I was a kid in the Chicago 67 blizzard. We made tunnels in the snowbanks, and our crazy cousins jumped off the second-floor porch of our 2-flat into the drifts, they were that tall in our postage-stamp back yard.

This week? meh. Snow’s no big deal, ice would be. Gas up the car, shovel’s already in it. Make sure the blackout supplies are ready. Stock up some basic groceries. Already have a huge stack of books and DVD’s for in-home entertainment, so as long as there’s power, we’re good. And if there’s no power, we’re good for about three days.

Those pitiful Ameren customers are the ones I feel sorry for. CWLP generally has outages fixed in hours, not weeks. I put that down to Ameren not spending much to upgrade and maintain the old infrastructure they bought up, so it goes down more seriously and for longer periods in something like a bad ice storm.

59. - Todd - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 12:59 pm:

ok got salt for the driveway. Gassed up the tractor, plows ready. Need to top off the ATV, the boys want to go sledding behind it — no helmets required (Ira).

Get an extra gas can full of petrol, case of Heineken, chips, french onion dip (2 qts). Generator is ready to go. Flashlights all good. Neighboor’s snowmobile ready too.

I think we’re set. Rich let me know when the flakes are the size of beer coasters

60. - How Ironic - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:02 pm:

Everyone should relax. I bought gas for the generator this morning. Generally that pretty much wards off bad weather. :)

61. - Responsa - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:03 pm:

Whatta bunch of animal lovers we have posting here. That’s very nice. BTW, did you know Amazon delivers litter? Right to your doorstep. Just had a 40 pound container of it sent last week, so storm or no storm the kittehs are good to go. :) The brand I always buy has free delivery.

62. - D.P. Gumby - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:11 pm:

For this I drove back to Chi from Spi?? The weather media hypestorm of the Century! Why, back when I was young on the farm, we’d have a foot of snow on the 4th of July and thought we were lucky to get it cuz it helped making the ice cream! In the winter we’d get 10 feet of snow and we’d have to tunnel through it to go 20 miles to school up hill both ways, barefoot! So for this little dusting, I’ll be sending annoying messages to my children telling them how good they have it!!

63. - Irish - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:13 pm:

Whoa! Radar map just changed big time. Don’t look like today’s snow is going to miss us now! Big blue blob just blossomed where there was nothing.

BTW- Kitty litter works great for traction.

64. - railrat - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:15 pm:

Todds got it right gas everything needed, have the “beer essentials” but throw a 3lb bottom end roast in the crock pot add garlic,celery, beef broth,onions, slice a few spuds,slice some sport peppers or banana peppers top with gardinera of your choice( hot is best) cook 5-6 hours take out roast shred and put back in pot with the goodies slice some fresh Italian bread make a sandwich add the “beer essentials” pop a beer and let it snow !!

65. - Ahoy - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:17 pm:

Try not to end up like the Donner party.

66. - Jake From Elwood - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:23 pm:

Early start to the super bowl party?
    Don’t I wish. I will be working and actually have a public speaking gig this weekend.
    Hope all is plowed over by then.

67. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:24 pm:

I hate freezing rain. That too often means power outages.

68. - U-Haul Ho! - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:28 pm:

I’ll be shopping on eBay with all that federal disaster relief aid we will no doubt be getting because of the snow…I’m thinking Jersey Shore Season 1 DVD to start with, and then go from there.

69. - Bigtwich - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:31 pm:

Is Scott Walker proclaiming the weather is a reason to move to Wisconsin? Hey, if he thinks the taxes are lower he probably things that about the snowfall too.

70. - VanillaMan - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:32 pm:

I am always prepared.
    I have a switchblade, crossbow, shotguns, filled reserve tanks, bottles of single-malt, case of Leinies, a Bible, snowshoes, bearskin coat, axes, salt, shovels, filled generator, beard, wood, food, TP, truck, dog sled, empty garage, flare gun, and Magnums.

And cat food and wine.

71. - Mayoral Candidate Forum - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:35 pm:

OneMan: Avoid denim and gym shoes, put on a collared shirt, and they’ll seat you right up front in front of the television cameras!

72. - John Bambenek - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:36 pm:

I’m going polar bear hunting.

73. - Obamarama - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:40 pm:

“Working from home.” Always, always must be put in quotes.

74. - OneMan - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:40 pm:

I might own adult clothes, we might be able to do that. All the more so if I am going to be stuck downtown

75. - Todd - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:51 pm:

Railrat — I’ll just have to go into the freezer and dig out some vension. I know a I got a couple of roasts, you forgot the peperchini (sp). Speaking of which got to thaw out some deer stick — cheddar with jalapeños.

Just checked, good on vodka and bloody mary mix for the next morning.

76. - KnuckleHead - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:51 pm:

The General Assembly is not in session. The citizens of Illinois are safe for one more week!

77. - Crafty Girl - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 1:53 pm:

I went to the store at lunchtime for bread and milk. Already have the necessary wine, cat food, and litter for the furry beasts. Plan to bring the camping lantern inside in case we loose power. Throw an extra quilt on the bed. Plus, I’ll bring files home tonight so I can work from home tomorrow if necessary. And hope that management gets some sense and allow us to work from home tomorrow.

78. - Practical Dude - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:05 pm:

All you cat lovers are smart. After the storm has snowed us in for a few weeks the rest of us will be wishing we had fresh meat. You on the other hand will have plenty to eat. LOL

79. - Joe from Joliet - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:12 pm:

Veering off on a tangent…

The fleecing of the motorist has begun. Gas this morning $2.99, at noon $3.29.

Like Rahm says, why waste a goodsaster?

80. - Champaign Dweller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:15 pm:

It’s BYOC (bring your own cat) at Cheryl’s.

81. - Loop Lady - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:20 pm:

Dude! Mai rude! Not even the Asians eat cats, dogs, but not cats…BTW, as I let my critters out this am, a gigantic coyote ran across my backyard…its coyote mating season, so put your pets on a leash, no roaming early evening or first thing in the morning…tasty morsels for hungry coyotes…

82. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:20 pm:

OneMan, it’s bidniss casual over there. A tie would be nice, but they sell nifty ULC ties in the lobby. Too bad you can’t buy them since you’re not a member.

You make all those bigtime Internet buckaroos anyway. Why not join before Rahm taxes membership dues?

83. - Esteban - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:34 pm:

We’ve had just a small amount of rain here in
    Carlinville….a touch slick in spots but the
    State routes are still ok, thanks to Director
    Hannig and the DOT guys. So far, The Storm Of
    The Year is a bit of a yawner; as long as we
    don’t lose power, I don’t care how much it snows.

84. - You Can't Stop What's Coming - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:34 pm:

I’ve got several botles of Glenfiddich, so I will be just fine!

85. - jerry 101 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:41 pm:

VanillaMan - That didn’t really answer the question. We all know that you’re a weird hermit living in a hand-built log cabin in the middle of the woods.

What are you planning to do for the blizzard, though? Not just for a routine day in the forest in January.
    :-)

I’m stuck in downtown Milwaukee. The good thing is I don’t have to worry too much about being prepared for anything - Just have to walk from the hotel to the client site while I’m up here. Sure, there’s gonna be a lot of snow, but I should be able to survive it.

That said, if y’all want to start the big Wisco invasion tomorrow, I can help with some guerilla combat behind the lines. People in Milwaukee are (oddly) a lot more intimidated by the big blizzard than Chicagoans are. Might be a great time to strike.

86. - Mayoral Candidate Forum - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:41 pm:

– Why not join before Rahm taxes membership dues? –

*Chill shivers down the spine*

87. - sal-says - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:47 pm:

1) Pray the roofs don’t collapse.
    2) Tip a couple of Spotted Cows.
    3) Hope it isn’t as bad as they’ve been sayin.

88. - OneMan - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:49 pm:

== and Rich — they do make these things called Generators: http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=4105567&convertTo=USD ==

That makes me think of a Yes Album

89. - MrJM - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 2:49 pm:

A two-out-of-three falls handicap match against the reigning tag-team champs: Rum and Coke.

– MrJM

90. - OneMan - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:11 pm:

MRJm…

My money is on Rum

91. - Because I say so - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:12 pm:

The grocey stores were jammed at lunch time but I have all my supplies including dog food. No dog lovers here? Skies are darkening over Chgo.

92. - Pot calling kettle - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:12 pm:

The morning coffee will get a nice hit of Baileys (when I get up at 11:00). Guiness in the afternoon. A dry red with the steak I plan to grill outside on the Weber (real charcoal & some hickory chips). Maybe watch a Bullwinkle DVD with the kids. The moose reminds me of several of the folks discussed regularly on this blog.

93. - Pot calling kettle - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:14 pm:

…and I’ve already stocked up on cat food and litter.

94. - Ain't No Justice - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:15 pm:

My snow plans have started. Capitol Fax and a nice peach brandy. It is slick out folks so be carefull. I skated to the door from the garage, so it is all ice! Be safe and be kind!!

95. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:17 pm:

===It is slick out folks so be carefull.===

Ain’t that the truth.

96. - Publius - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:21 pm:

And UIS is still going to fully operate, don’t they know it’s slick out there. My professor will lower our grades she stated if we don’t come to tonights class

97. - Monstrum - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:27 pm:

Just means extra, unwanted exercise. Shovel tonight if anything sticks in the city. Shovel tomorrow morning. Shovel tomorrow night. Shovel Wednesday morning and Wednesday evening. Clear a path as far down the sidewalk towards the El as I can before collapsing, due to all those homeowners who don’t shovel. (But only wide enough for single-file walking. I’m not crazy!) Pull on old duck boots — look FABULOUS with the necessary suit! — and trudge to crowded train.

98. - jerry 101 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:27 pm:

Montrose -
    One word: Blizzapalooza 2010!!!!

99. - jerry 101 - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:28 pm:

errr…2011.

And I guess that was one word, one number. :-)

100. - D.P. Gumby - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:34 pm:

Melba on WBEZ just called it:
    “Snowtorious B.I.G.”
    best handle yet!

101. - Techboy - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:44 pm:

102. - Publius is snowed in - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:45 pm:

Time to batten down the hatches and sleep. Work at the Capitol is canceled and hopefully my class tomorrow night is canceled at UIS. Tonight my class is still on…stupid professor.

103. - Jake From Elwood - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 3:58 pm:

Naperville school district has already closed its schools for tomorrow. Sound off the sirens and blast the cannons!

104. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 4:00 pm:

All this talk of comfort food made me hungry. So I just put a big pot of vegetable beef soup on the stove. Mmmmm…. Soup.

105. - Mayoral Candidate Forum - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 4:25 pm:

Just returned from laying in a supply of Smuttynose Brewing Company’s Shoals Pale Ale. Brewed in Portsmouth, NH, happily it’s finally available in Chicago. If you like Sierra Nevada, you’ll love Smuttynose.

106. - Wensicia - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 4:28 pm:

Hope they call off school, I can catch up on my lesson plans, make some soup, and watch my cats go nuts (they love storms). Glad I’m far enough north to miss the sleet and ice.

107. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 4:29 pm:

…And that bottle of wine I opened to flavor the soup is also going down quite well.

Bring on the freaking snow!

108. - Jack S. - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 4:52 pm:

Well that settles it. Soup/wine at Rich’s. If we all head out now, we can (probably) make it to Rich’s just in time… You do have more wine, right Rich?

109. - amalia - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 4:53 pm:

It’s getting nutty in the press. The Tribune has food postings related to the storm…..what to stock, cooking when the power goes out. sure, I went shopping for milk and…..wait for it….catfood….but there’s enough in the pantry not to starve. and maybe those local girl scouts will deliver the thin mints this week…..ah, frozen snowpocalyse cookies! mmmm.

110. - Joe from Joliet - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 4:55 pm:

The “Ethics” people have decided to take tomorrow off WITH PAY. Other state workers are receiving email stating if they do not show up for work then they must use a vacation day or other time.

Must be nice to be able to do what you want, when you want, and not have to answer to anybody.

“Ethics”? I doubt it.

111. - Todd - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 5:03 pm:

cooking without power…. a pich of C4 about the size of a pee will giv you instant canteen cup of hot water for coffee or coco.

Can of beef and greese on the manifold of the truck takes about 10-15 minutes. Don’t forget to poke a whole i nthe top or you’l coat the engine with it.

112. - Responsa - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 5:18 pm:

Sterno is also a useful product to have on hand during power outages.

113. - cermak_rd - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 6:09 pm:

I plan to be at work tomorrow. I figure I’ll come in early and leave before the storm hits. I live in Berwyn and work in Warrenville, so we’ll see.

114. - Secret Square - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 6:16 pm:

Well, I only live 5 blocks from work so I could walk in if I had to; but my boss said we might be closed tomorrow so I’m hoping I don’t have to.

Hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps sounded so good to me that I went out on my lunch hour and got (among other things) whipped cream in case I decide to make some :-)

115. - park - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 6:25 pm:

probably sleep in till 7:30, shovel, pretend I won’t go in, then take a mid day train out of boredom.

116. - Indeedy - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 7:19 pm:

City critter here added to the larder and the wood pile, broke out the snow shoes, the cross country skiis, brought up a case of wine, and excavated mom’s recipes for every rib-sticking thing I normally do not eat for fear of gaining a third butt cheek. That and a half a dozen books and I call this a vacation.

117. - foster brooks - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 7:52 pm:

will be in idot snow plow ,there is talk about pulling the plows off the road tue night (never happened before), glad i’m on the day shift.

118. - railrat - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 8:04 pm:

sorry I forgot the crock pot roast needs 1 1/2 cups of your fav. Italian dressing and 1 tbl of Italian seasoning. Its getting nasty folks hunker down ! I plowed in 79 in “K” town Chicago me my Springer Spaniel, my Ruger 44 in a Cat loader, I feel for you foster brooks they wouldnt let us go I spent 53 straight hours in that loader. Be safe!

119. - Michelle Flaherty - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 8:21 pm:

just wondering, in terms of storms, when has it ever been as bad as or worse than they say it will be? That’s the catch. Say it’s the Katrina of Chicago snow storms and the day after you tell people they dodged the big one and for some reason they believe you rather than assail your credibility. Short of the editorial page, the weather page is the part of the paper most filled with uncorrected errors.

120. - Just The Way It Is One - Monday, Jan 31, 11 @ 8:28 pm:

Only God knows my ultimate plans…right now, I plan to head into work but may have to take the day if driving borders on the near-impossible or is at least so treacherous so as to lead to an unconscionable arrival time, plus, if most kids DO get A “Snow Day,” I may have to stay back home for that reason alone (Is this what Twitter is like, by the way?) Anyway, Wednesday IS “Ground Hog Day,” and since I have that flick, maybe I’ll slip in while the blizzard ensues to have a few, hearty laughs with Bill Murray–or drive to Woodstock, where they filmed it, for the annual festivities??? (on the other hand, maybe that LAST thought can wait till next year)…In any event, do you think the old Groundhog in Pa. could actually find it in him to predict that there would NOT be 6 more weeks of Winter at a minimum in the midst of all THIS???

121. - OneMan - Tuesday, Feb 1, 11 @ 8:15 am:

- Mayoral Candidate Forum

Looks like registration is closed. Can I just walk up?

122. - Jack S. - Tuesday, Feb 1, 11 @ 8:23 am:

SNOPRAH! And you get a foot of snow…and you get a foot of snow…and YOU get a foot of snow…

123. - dupage dan - Tuesday, Feb 1, 11 @ 9:17 am:

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
    You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away.

Be careful out there, folks.

Blizzards, blizzards, we don’t need no steeenking blizzards!

124. - cermak_rd - Tuesday, Feb 1, 11 @ 10:12 am:

That’s truer than you know dupage dan. A stat I’ve seen says that most accidents occur within 5 minutes of home. Either most people’s trips are within 5 minutes of home or people let their guard up as they get close to home.

* Rove spending over a million dollars in two races
* Quinn administration accuses Rep. of "political stunt" that would violate state and federal laws
* Today's number: 54 percent
* Rauner files "emergency appeal"
* Uber ramps up the pressure with new radio ad
* *** UPDATED x3 - Tribune's McQueary: Meh - Quinn calls for investigation by county, state, feds - Felonies? *** Playing hardball... with guns
* Quinn updates new TV ad to add Rauner "Not every job should be in America" quote
* Uh-oh
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* Facebook Rolls Out Analytics For App Links
        * 5.5-inch iPhone 6 rear shell compared in photos
        * Noke Bluetooth padlock unlocks via Android app
        * Cycada makes iOS apps run on Android devices
        * Hands-on with Swing Copters, the Flappy Bird creator's vertical (and very frustrating) new game
        * iPhone 6 storage options leaked, 128GB may happen this time
        * Instagram Starts Offering Essential Ad Tools At Last

* App Links update: 3B+ unique URLs since April, launch of analytics and blog
        * Will a Hybrid Car Actually Save You Money?
        * Sprint, T-Mobile duke it out with new unlimited plans
        * Bing Maps Now Features Streetside Views For Over 100 Cities
        * UK ISP: Netflix traffic beats YouTube during peak hours
        * Use a Bottom-Up Approach to Learning to Code If You're a Beginner
        * Meet Oculix, a Hacked-Together Netflix for Oculus Rift

* Reading Room: Rick Hahn speaks vaguely about September
        * Avisail finds power stroke in loss to Orioles
        * Danks leads White Sox into Bronx for weekend visit
        * Orioles 4, White Sox 3: Homers hector Noesi
        * Noesi unable to keep Orioles in the park
        * Limited number of callups to reinforce roster
        * Rodon's September plans not yet determined