*** UPDATED x1 - Mystery solved *** Just answer the stupid question, please

Thursday, Jun 6, 2013

* Yesterday, I received an e-mail from a friend about Bruce Rauner’s new campaign video…

Go to 1:47 in his video and look at the mountains in the distance behind the irrigation in the field. Now exactly what part of Illinois has mountains like that?

* The video is here. Screen cap…

I replied that it could be the bluffs near the confluence of the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. They look almost mountainous and it’s one of the prettiest areas in the state.

So, I sent the Rauner campaign an e-mail. I never heard back.

* I think my friend also contacted Sneed

Huh? Is this a case of mountains or molehills?

Sneed watched multimillionaire Bruce Rauner’s video announcing his Republican run for governor and poses a question.

Just where are those mountains and/or huge hills in Illinois appearing in Rauner’s campaign video — which seems largely comprised of stock B-roll — and includes a farmer irrigating his field in front of a mountainous silhouette?

Could this be near Rauner’s ranch in Montana? Nawwww.

I asked the campaign again this morning whether this is just stock footage of any old corn field or if it was actually from Illinois. No reply.

Obviously, this is not the biggest issue in the campaign. But if Rauner is attempting to appeal to Downstaters with his freshly minted Carhartt-ish jacket and innumerable images of farms in his roll-out spot, then it would be nice to know if all his images were actually from this state.

*** UPDATE *** Thanks to a diligent and eagle-eyed commenter, it appears the video comes from a Canadian company and is posted on a stock video site.

1. - Stones - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:48 am:

Sure as heck doesn’t look like any part of Illinois I have been in. I haven’t seen the Bluffs you are referring to but those look more like foothills than bluffs to me.

2. - Anon - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:49 am:

Pretty bad.

But am I the only one that thought the video was decent? Well put together at least. All qualms about the candidate aside, I thought it was pretty good…

3. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:49 am:

Well, it could be Indiana, or Wisconsin, states Rauner THINKS are like Illinois…

Do Indiana and Wisconsin have mountains too?

@FakeBruceRauner - Hey @Capitolfax, this was, I think, shot at my home Near Jackson Hole, Wyoming, or some other place. I now have to go, busy schedule. #FBRaunerKnowsAboutStocksNotStockFootage

4. - qcexaminer - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:51 am:

Sorta looks like the hills in the Whiteside/Rock Island County border area–also they use irrigation there because of the sandy soil.

Just a wild guess.

5. - RNUG Fan - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:52 am:

The closest is along US 67 south of Beards town but there is no angle like this . The Guy just doesn’t care His GOP opposition have no money and all have minimal organization and he intends to buy and hope for a suppressed turnout in November He may very well get it

6. - Kind of a big deal - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:53 am:

His performance on Chicago Tonight was underwhelming. No commitment on same sex marriage, despite being pressed multiple times. Said he hadn’t “studied” the concealed carry bill, so couldn’t weigh in on the preemption issue. (although he noted he owns a handgun and “many other guns.”) Listed four areas he would “lead” on but said same sex marriage would not be one of them. Trashed union leadership by name, but couldn’t explain why support from special interests in the business community were any different than labor support.

7. - Tim Snopes - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:57 am:

What a downer.

8. - the Patriot - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:58 am:

Looks like the hills near the intersection of Rt. 3 and Rt. 146 East of Cape. For you northerners you can see on google maps the farms laid out to the east of some pretty good hills. They always look bigger from the low ground.

But, it looks like an afternoon sun in the video to me which means the hills or the sun are on the wrong side.

9. - Highland, Il - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:58 am:

The landfills down here are getting that big…

10. - Mason born - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:59 am:

I would guess that is stock footage. The irrigation system in the background is not typically used along the areas in the states where the bluffs are. those are usually used where you have great aquifers such as Mason co. some around Lincoln. They are pretty prominent out west as is the growing of wheat which is what appears to be the crop in the field.

that being said even if it is stock footage does it matter? That’s kind of like saying since Quinn hasn’t visited small town southern IL he is a terrible Gov. I can find reasons to Dislike Rauner even if he shot his Video in my back yard.

11. - Charlatan Heston - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:00 am:

Could be the silhouette of overburden from the strip mines along I-55 near Coal City…

12. - No really - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:02 am:

Trying to figure out where something is already growing that tall in Illinois?

13. - Madame Defarge - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:02 am:

While it could be the bluffs along the Mississipi–don’t they generally grow corn in the bottoms not wheat?

14. - biased observer - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:03 am:

I think this observation is sort of comical, but if intended for actual political criticism (which I doubt)I think it seems a nitpicking stretch. I doubt this is Illinois in pic, but if you get outside of Chicago or springfield area (not many do on this site I thinks sometimes) there are areas of Illinois, especially in deep south with some hills which sort of look like that, but I doubt it. they use irrigation along the rivers in southern Illinois, water table pretty close to the surface.

15. - Downstate - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:03 am:

Having run the River to River Relay Race Across Southern Il for multiple years, this certainly could be shot in the state.

Frankly the bluffs in some parts of the Shawnee National Forest are even taller and more steep than those depicted in the video.

16. - too obvious - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:12 am:

First of all, my video is less than clear but doesn’t look like corn being irrigated, looks more like wheat to me. Only a few downstate counties grow much wheat.

In any case, I welcome our new Chicago billionaire hedgefund manager overlords.

17. - dupage dan - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:20 am:

That’s actually a type of cloud formation known as cumulus nimrod.

18. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:20 am:

Maybe it’s Vernon Hills? Gotta be big hills there.

19. - Darienite - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:23 am:

Yeah it’s stock footage; so what? I agree with @Kind of a big deal; Rauner’s non-answers on the Channel 11 interview should be much more of a concern to his campaigners.

20. - Knome Sane - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:27 am:

Thar’s political gold in them thar hills.

21. - way south of chicago - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:29 am:

down toward Ridgway/Shawneetown you can see the Shawnee hills from the center pivots….but they sure aren’t irrigating right now….

22. - Keyrock - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:32 am:

It matters because it picks up a theme that is already there — out of touch big money guy who really doesn’t know or care about the details of the state.

23. - soccermom - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:38 am:

24. - TCB - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:40 am:

@FakeRaunerSpokesman

This is a video of the mountains that used to be located in Illinois before Madigan & the democrats took control of the state. Not only have they change the economic landscape of this state, they change the ACTUAL landscape.

#mountainhaters
    #corngrowbestonmountains
    #noCarhartt=noHeart
    #moremountainsplease

25. - soccermom - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:47 am:

Remember when Rod was standing in a cornfield and thought it was soybeans (or vice versa — can’t remember any more.)

26. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:52 am:

–I know where those mountains are — they’re the Haddonfield range that you can see in the first Halloween movie… –

I thought of that, too.

Has anyone actually seen Michael Myers with his mask off?

27. - Will - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 10:59 am:

Maybe it’s part of the message. Maybe he wants to “roll back Illinois” to the era before glaciers flattened most of the state?

28. - Curmudgeon - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:04 am:

I agree this is probably stock footage from who knows where, but the silhouette of hills could easily be from somewhere along IL 84 between Port Byron and Savanna, especially south of Thomson.

29. - Don't Worry, Be Happy - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:06 am:

I was also thinking of Rod’s corn/soybean confusion. Another good one is Anthony Weiner’s comeback run for mayor of New York. His campaign web site included a stock background of the Pittsburgh skyline.

30. - House of Pain - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:16 am:

Hey Bruce, if you run for elected office .. you might be a politician!

31. - saline resident - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:29 am:

Anywhere in Saline or Gallatin along the Rt. 13 corridor could have a view like this and that type of irrigation. More likely in the months of July or August though.

32. - John A Logan - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:29 am:

Looks like Route 3 between Cape Girardeau and Murphysboro to me.

33. - Shore - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:48 am:

every year dumb campaigns get in trouble for this -romney got whacked pretty hard. the university of wisconsin got nailed 9 years ago for airbrushing in african americans to make their school appear more diverse. It’s not a good sign.

34. - Formerly Known As... - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:50 am:

I’m curious now.

But I’m also curious as to how many other Illinois pols have done this over the years.

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be the first or the last.

Then again, there are some nice “molehills” hiding trash dumps at a few spots around Illinois.

You’d never guess they’re there until you round the bend or climb the “mountainhill”.

35. - biased observer - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:51 am:

ok, I finally actually watched the rauner clip. I think this will actually resonate pretty well with rank and file Illinois voters.

to RNUG Fan, I would say that the union folks would be the one hoping for the small turnout, as this makes their highly organized minority more effective. the bigger the turnout, the worse for the union/statework/teacher/retiree crowd, right?

36. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 11:58 am:

“Dear ‘biased observer’

Your quote;

“I would say that the union folks would be the one hoping for the small turnout, as this makes their highly organized minority more effective. the bigger the turnout, the worse for the union/statework/teacher/retiree crowd, right?”

Right on!

Signed,

Brady/Plummer 2010 Campaign Staff”

37. - Blue Dog - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:00 pm:

I just looked over my photos from Motorcycle trips along the Illinois & Mississippi Rivers. All the bluffs I have are Tree covered and look very different from these “hills”. The ones in the video are more angular. I think they are foothills from out west, or possibly TTennessee.

38. - CarrollCounty - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:02 pm:

Could be Thomson/Carroll County. Irrigated sandy soils with nearby bluffs, maybe these “mountains” are fisheyed hills, not unlike the modern real estate advertising that makes rooms look bigger.

BIG BUT however…there is no way a statewide candidate knows where we are or how to get here. No four lane roads, or population, they would turn around pretty quickly.

39. - Meanderthal - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:05 pm:

You never heard of Mount Prospect?

40. - too obvious - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:10 pm:

Just a guess, but I would estimate Rauner makes more from Illinois pension funds than any 50 employees combined. Talking about the hefty “management” fees his firm receives. And at least the employees have worked and paid in.

41. - Langhorne - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:10 pm:

Amateurish

For not getting back to you, regardless of the situation.

And for having the kerfuffle in the first place. Likely done by an experienced consultant, in another state. But shows lack of structure in the campaign–you call him back. No, you call him back.

42. - T.O. - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:13 pm:

If he keeps running his campaign like he has he’ll need stock footage of Mt. Doom.

43. - Bill White - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:36 pm:

First, climb Mount Prospect, then go to Blue Island for some fishing.

Followed by some French lessons in Des Plaines.

44. - Levois - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:41 pm:

Such a minor issue that deserves a minor response. He should say where this video was shot. Or he should say it wasn’t shot here it was stock footage. Although in the long run that’s much less important that what the coming campaign should be about.

Besides when Rahm ran for mayor a few years ago, people insisted he shot his annoucement video outside of Chicago. It obviously didn’t hurt him that much either. It hurt him more that at the time he made his annoucement he rented out his home and people used that to keep him off the ballot unsuccessfully might I add.

45. - Kwark - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:45 pm:

I was disappointed that Carol Marin blew a key opportunity when she had Rauner in a tight spot. She rightfully asked about him clouting his child into Payton. At 7.20 in the interview, she asked point blank whether Rauner had a conversation with Arne Duncan on this matter. Rauner gave a non-answer (a revolting one by the way, which ought to disgust those listening to it). So Marin comes right back and has a chance to ask him the question again: did he contact Arne Duncan about this matter? Instead, at 8.05 she messed up by asking: “At the same time, you didn’t pick up the phone and say Arne or Ron Huberman, I want your attention on this?” So then Rauner pauses a beat, glances to the side, says “No” and then blinks contentedly. I think we all know how Rauner could honestly answer “No” here while the actual truth is he did contact Arne, simply because of the way Marin asked the question. Carol or somebody else: get Rauner on the record on this matter!

46. - Lil Squeezy - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 12:55 pm:

Why would Bruce know what Southern Illinois looks like? I hear their country clubs are terrible.

47. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 1:24 pm:

@TheRaunerChicken - Sorry @Capitolfax, been so busy with My Hedge Fund Manager, couldn’t reply. I took the footage, in Lincoln County, from the Taurus. #MakeItAnswersToQuestionsIsEasy

48. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 1:40 pm:

You mean this stock video?

It is probably from Idaho.

49. - ralph - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 1:52 pm:

The “mountain scene” was shown for a split second among dozens of others which were clearly shot in Illinois. I suspect the campaign will let the leftists and unionistas work themselves up into a tizzy over it for a few days and then announce the location. The last laugh is always best.

50. - lakecounty - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 2:05 pm:

Watched the video and was appalled by the lack of diversity. Not apparent were latinos, asians, etc. African-Americans were seen (with one exception) in roles that indicated problems such as schools, etc.

51. - biased observer - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 2:17 pm:

–Watched the video and was appalled by the lack of diversity. Not apparent were latinos, asians, etc. African-Americans were seen (with one exception) in roles that indicated problems such as schools, etc–

interesting take away…..do you think this video could cause him to lose his large contingent of minority votes he expects to receive? biting my tongue, hard.

52. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 2:20 pm:

After further review of the copyright information on the stock video the “scene” was probably taken in Canada! http://www.istockphoto.com/user_view.php?id=4632937

53. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 2:36 pm:

@bo - So people of color don’t matter as voters? Is that what you’re biting your tongue not to say? Because in case you didn’t notice

54. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 2:40 pm:

they certainly mattered a lot in places like ohio and florida in 2012. But I suppose you already wrote off Chicago as possibly having votes for Rauner so why not write off races and women too just because they don’t make up majorities of the gop electorate.

55. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 2:42 pm:

Willy, with the right con$ulting firm he wouldn’t have these problems.

56. - ArchPundit - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 2:43 pm:

It could have easily been in Greene County along the Eldred blacktop. That could have been shot from my cousin’s field with the exception, there’s not a lot of irrigation there because even in dry years, the rivers provided enough quick rains.

Obviously, anonymous located where the stock footage came from, but I could shoot something incredibly similar in Southern Illinois.

57. - Endangered Moderate Species - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 2:54 pm:

It is safe to say, this picture was not snapped in East Central Illinois.

58. - biased observer - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:00 pm:

hgf- that is absolutely not what I am saying.

59. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:07 pm:

Thanks for the update Rich. So not only is this not Illinois, it ain’t even America?

Oh, Canada.

60. - biased observer - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:08 pm:

hgf–it is just curious that you are the only commenter on here suggesting that rauners video was insensitive to diversity if not racist. no one else on here mentioned that angle. its just interesting how we get different takeaways from the same material. why do you think you were the only person who has mentioned this thus far?

61. - biased observer - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:11 pm:

rich, I think I just got accused of being racist and miscegenistic by HGF. tough crowd on here.

62. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:15 pm:

@bo - I didn’t say the video was racist. But I agree with the previous commenter, lakecounty, that the video could have more accurately reflected the diversity that exists in this state. And obviously because I was responding to someone elses prior comment that means I’m not the only one who noticed the lack of diversity.

63. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

@bo - I did no such thing. But I will accuse you of being unable to spell misogynistic.

64. - biased observer - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:27 pm:

hgf—I stand corrected. you are correct, my friend. now it is know than I can neither capitalize appropriately nor spell perfectly. my reputation (?) is tarnished.

65. - concern1 - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:28 pm:

Everybody know those “mountains ” in the background is the home of “Squeezey ” that’s where he lives so beware!!!!

66. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:36 pm:

He probably never left Chicago…..they can use green screens and stock footage and get the same effect.

67. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:42 pm:

Oh Bruce Rauner!

O Bruce Rauner!
    Illinois’ our native land!
    True patriot love, would know those Mounts aren’t ours.
    With YouTube Feeds we see the truth,
    The True North Shore and thee!
    From far and wide,
    O Bruce Rauner, we stand on guard of thee.
    Bruce keep our land exactly how we see!
    O Bruce Rauner, we stand on guard of thee.
    O Bruce Rauner, we stand on guard of thee.

68. - Endangered Moderate Species - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 3:52 pm:

Alberta Bound

Oh the prairie lights are burnin’ bright
    The chinook wind is a-movin’ in
    Tomorrow night I’ll be alberta bound
    Though I’ve done the best I could
    My old luck ain’t been so good and
    Tomorrow night I’ll be alberta bound
    No one-eyed man could e’er forget
    The rocky mountain sunset
    It’s a pleasure just to be alberta bound
    I long to see my next of kin
    To know what kind of shape they’re in
    Tomorrow night I’ll be alberta bound
    Alberta bound, alberta bound
    It’s good to be alberta bound
    Alberta bound, alberta bound
    It’s good to be alberta bound

Gordon Lightfoot

69. - Mountain Man - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 4:11 pm:

Until I read CapitolFax and learned that the mountains were not even American mountains, but Canadian ones, I figured that they were the peaks of Lincoln County, Illinois.

70. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 4:16 pm:

Hey - AA -,

You are right about that…Send them the Con$ulting info again, these problems would be at least addresed … and throw in the “O Bruce Rauner” at “cost”.

71. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 4:25 pm:

“Bring Back Illinois — from Canada.”

72. - OurMagician - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 4:31 pm:

How many other shots in the video are not in Illinois? Calls into question the whole thing and makes Erika Harold’s good in comparison (and that’s a terrible spot).

73. - Anon - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 4:53 pm:

In other news, CAT CEO Oberhelman endorsed Rauner, thereby guaranteeing no one in Peoria or Tazwell County will vote for him.

74. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 5:25 pm:

I think the whole thing was filmed in rahms Washington, D.C. Office

75. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 5:31 pm:

@FakeBruceRauner - “And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn’t for these meddling @Capitolfax commenters! #ScoobyDooEnding

76. - Just The Way It Is One - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 6:39 pm:

CANADA?! Both what a joke and, quite frankly, an obvious INsult to Illinoisans!!! What–there’s not a single as Beautiful, or MORE Beautiful shot than THAT one, not only not in our own Beloved Home State, but from another NATION?! Is he kidding? This guy is altogether uncouth…and goin’ down. I don’t care HOW much $$$ the dude’s got. Stupendous investigative reporting on your part via the Commenter. But from the candidate’s end? Clueless. The slap to my/our (collective) face(s) as (a) Life-long Resident(s) is still stinging, and I fear the pain of such blatant insensitivity to all of us here will not dissipate soon…yet another major, thoughtless Gaffe–when will it ever end??!!

77. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 7:15 pm:

@Our Magician:
    Killing a little time before the Blackhawk game I was able to match one…

The red truck at 0:27 is also stock footage, apparently from a photographer based out of Wichita, Kansas.

78. - Formerly Known As... - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 8:06 pm:

This thread seems a bit like Illinois’ leadership right now.

We have more comments on one post about a snippet from a commercial than than the ones on pensions, our fiscal challenges, our credit downgrade, etc.

fwiw, that really is excellent work by @hisgirlfriday and @anonymous to ID those frames. I don’t know how they did it so quickly, but that really is impressive.

It goes to show just how resourceful we can be as a bunch.

It also feels a bit like we’re focusing on the weeds in the backyard garden while the whole kitchen is on fire.

Perhaps this was a fill-in for the lack of a mental health break or caption contest today.

79. - Formerly Known As... - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 8:07 pm:

And, to be clear, I use the term “we”. Which obviously includes me and my earlier post on this.

80. - ArchPundit - Thursday, Jun 6, 13 @ 9:51 pm:

===#ScoobyDooEnding

LOL–perfect.

81. - Amuzing Myself - Friday, Jun 7, 13 @ 8:58 am:

Maybe it’s in Lincoln County.

* Afternoon updates
* Stop the satellite TV tax!
* *** UPDATED 1x *** Twitter suspends parody account @peoriamayor
* Lesson learned: Don't 'Leave'
* Fitch affirms Illinois GO Bond rating

* Nokia Lumia Instagramer of the Week: Sigrid Sohm
        * Incomparable

* A 3D-Printed Ultrasound Cast That Looks Awesome and Heals You Faster
        * Beats Bites the Bullet, and Starts Selling Subscriptions From Apple’s App
        * Nike Fires Majority of FuelBand Team, Will Stop Making Wearable Hardware
        * This Week's Top Downloads
        * Verizon May Roll Out Android 4.4 KitKat Update for Galaxy S4 on May 2nd (Rumor)
        * Use the 10% Rule to Negotiate at Yard Sales
        * OnePlus One Pictures Leaked Ahead of Its Launch

* Eaton exits game after collision with Fielder
        * Paulino goes on DL with rotator cuff inflammation
        * Rienzo surprised but excited
        * Ramirez not focused on streaking
        * Danks feels Paulino's pain
        * White Sox place Felipe Paulino on DL, call up Andre Rienzo, outrigh...
        * Right on Q: Cuban baseball, where every man is an island.