* Republican state treasurer candidate Bob Grogan reportedly met with Tom Cross yesterday afternoon, hours after Cross told his caucus that he would run for the statewide job. Shortly after the meeting, a defiant Grogan issued this statement…
After visiting more than 40 counties listening to voters, I’m ready to make it official .. Next week during the Du Quoin State Fair, I’ll be announcing my candidacy for State Treasurer, details to follow. While others can talk about political money raised, I’ll be talking about safeguarding the people’s money. As a CPA and Certified Fraud Examiner, I’ll be standing strong against the corrupt status quo. I hope I can count on your support as we make a break from the old politics of Illinois!
A red flag should always go up when a candidate dismisses the importance of campaign money, and that certainly applies here. Grogan is, to put it simply, a lousy fundraiser.
Grogan raised just $21K in the last quarter and had $19K in the bank. He raised just $4,800 in the first quarter, and about $5,000 all last year.
* On paper, Grogan could make an impressive state treasurer…
“(B)eing the County Auditor in DuPage, I’m a CPA and a certified fraud examiner. I have a strong record as far as financial acumen so I will be able to keep and watch over the people’s money. I have a strong record of transparency putting DuPage Counties checkbook online when others said it couldn’t be done.”
From his campaign bio…
• Certified Public Accountant (2002)
- Passed all four sections of CPA exam on first attempt: FARE- 95, ARE- 93, Audit- 92, Law- 92.
• Certified Fraud Examiner (2010)
• Commissioner, DuPage County Zoning Board of Appeals (2005-2008)
• Staff Assistant, Rep. Harris Fawell, 13th Illinois Congressional District (1996-1997)
• Secretary, Clarendon Blackhawk Mosquito Abatement District Board (2001-2006)
• Board Member, DuPage Regional Planning Commission (2003-2005)
• Miami University (Ohio)
-Bachelors of Arts Degree
-Double Major: Economics and Political Science
• College of DuPage
-Advanced Accounting Certificate
-Phi Theta Kappa
• Illinois CPA Society
• American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
• Government Finance Officers Association
• Illinois Association of County Auditors
But if you have no money, nobody is ever gonna know who the heck you are. And you gotta win in order to change things. Down-ballot statewide races are almost always about name recognition. No money, no name ID. It’s as simple as that.