I really hesitate to do this, but…

Friday, Dec 20, 2013

* Ian Bayne is one of five Republicans competing to challenge Democratic Congressman Bill Foster. From a press release…

Today, Ian Bayne called Phil Robertson, star of the A&E series “Duck Dynasty,” the ‘Rosa Parks’ of our generation.

“In December 1955, Rosa Parks took a stand against an unjust societal persecution of black people, and in December 2013, Robertson took a stand against persecution of Christians,” said Bayne.

Parks, famous for refusing to give up her seat on a bus for a white person, as was the rule of her day, provided inspiration for a movement of equality of black people and white people in America.

“What Parks did was courageous,” said Bayne. “What Mr. Robertson did was courageous too.”

Bayne believes that the Duck Dynasty star knew that going on GQ would result in the current controversy going on surrounding his suspension, as well as his suspension.

Bayne added that this exposure of Robertson’s situation is an eye opener for many who may have been previously in disbelief that the bible is fast becoming considered “hate speech” by the media and society.

* Ironically enough, this is also from Louisiana native Robertson’s GQ interview

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field. … They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word! … Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Doesn’t that sound just like Rosa Parks? Sheesh.

* Related…

* Rauner ads targets Illinois hunters and Duck Dynasty fans on Robertson website

1. - Nonplussed - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:24 am:

TIL straight white Christians have it rough.

2. - Belle - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:25 am:

I didn’t even know who these people were until this mess began. I assume this entire thing is all ratings driven…what better way to pump up your show than act like a racist?

3. - Nonplussed - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:25 am:

BTW, the Robertson quote reminds me of the line from Blazing Saddles: “…when you all were slaves, you sang like birds…”

4. - countyline - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:26 am:

Queue comments from the “tolerant” left…now.

5. - langhorne - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:27 am:

good lord (no pun intended, just exasperation). i have done my best to avoid the DD empire, but his statements are reprehensible. i am disappointed at some of the folks i see defending him for “speaking the truth.”

6. - MrJM - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:30 am:

Queue comments from the “tolerant” left…now.

I’ve never tolerated naked bigotry.

And I’m not going to start today.

– MrJM

7. - Generation X - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:38 am:

Camille Paglia states it better than I could.

8. - 47th Ward - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:39 am:

===Today, Ian Bayne called Phil Robertson, star of the A&E series “Duck Dynasty,” the ‘Jimmy the Greek’ of our generation.===

There, I fixed it for him.

9. - D.P.Gumby - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:39 am:

I love all the right-wing sturm und dang about those who condemn Duck Bigotry as attacking free speach and free exercise of religion!!

10. - Ron Burgundy - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:40 am:

It’s not you who should’ve hesitated, Rich.

11. - Yossarian Lives - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:41 am:

I have no understanding of how Christians - evangelical or otherwise - can conclude that they are a downtrodden, persecuted minority in 2013 in the United States. Just because you no longer control the discourse and shame into silence those with competing viewpoints does not mean that you are now being silenced and oppressed. A&E has a right to suspend Robertson from the show. People who support Robertson have a right to stop watching the station and to urge its executives to reverse their decision. No one’s rights have been violated. End of story.

Comparing Robertson to Rosa Parks, who was arrested for breaking an actual law that violated her actual civil rights, isn’t just offensive; it’s idiotic.

12. - wordslinger - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:42 am:

I thought it couldn’t get weirder than “Santa is white.” I was wrong.

Countyline, “tolerance” or lack thereof has nothing to do with anything. It’s business and protecting your brand.

Alec Baldwin got fired by MSNBC for an anti-gay slur. Martin Bashir got fired by MSNBC for making disgusting remarks directed at Sarah Palin.

MSNBC was protecting its brand, as it saw fit. So is A&E. It’s nothing personal, it’s business.

If Robertson is Rosa Parks, what’s that make Baldwin — Martin Luther King? What’s that make Bashir — Suzanne B. Anthony?

Nobody’s First Amendment rights are at stake here. Give the First Amendment a read. Last I checked, Congress has not passed a law shutting down Robertson, Baldwin or Bashir.

You can say whatever you want. But in business, there can be consequences.

If you don’t believe me, try spouting off like Robertson, Baldwin or Bashir at work today. See what happens.

13. - MrJM - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:44 am:

This is ‘utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist’: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/02/nadezhda-tolokonnikova-new-prison_n_4202862.html

Being removed from a television program as a consequence for saying idiotic and derogatory things isn’t.

– MrJM

14. - CircularFiringSquad - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:44 am:

Guessing the white trash manifesto timed to help move all the DD gear still piled up in stores. Some places have DD items in every department. Already overpriced Under Armour stuff marked up higher with DD trash tags.
    And it gives all the wing nut whack jobs a chance to run their chops before heading home for the holidays where racist, homophobic and position preferences might not be openly discussed
    Finally Bayne must be using old DeadBeayJoe Walsh material.

15. - And I Approved This Message - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:56 am:

In what media and in what society is the Bible fast becoming considered “hate speech?” Where are these people coming from? Some dude in a ZZ Top beard who invented a duck call is “The Rosa Parks of our Generation?” Good grief Mr. Bayne, Mrs Palin, Governor Jindal, Mr.Gingrich and countless other duck nuts, do we have to call in the Hyperbole Police to quell this riot?

Ginned up outrage about non-existent crises is the life blood of some of these folks. I think some of these people have suffered head trauma from their stint in The War on Christmas. Time to come back from the front.

16. - Soccermom - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 11:59 am:

Oh for heaven’s sake! For the record — I was horrified by Martin Bashir’s comments. I think Sarah Palin is godawful, but I would never say such a thing about her — or anyone — publicly or privately. I think Alec Baldwin has a serious rage control issue, i was shocked that he was given a show, and I wasn’t surprised when he shot himself in the foot and lost it.

I do not know who in the A&E communications office approved the GQ interview. What on earth did they think would happen? And quite frankly — given that the Duck family (I think of them as Huey, Dewey and Louie, but those probably aren’t their names) have said they are unwilling to go on without their patriarch, I am wondering whether this was all a ploy intended to get them out of their contract…

17. - A guy... - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:02 pm:

I just wish you hesitated enough to let this story die the death it deserved. Inappropriate and well beyond stupid. Rosa Parks changed the whole world.

18. - Anon - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:03 pm:

And here I thought Capitol Fax would be a place of respite as it pertains to the whole Duck Dynasty imbroglio. I guess that show really does permeate everything.

19. - J Isbell - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:13 pm:

Who heard of Ian Bayne before this? Exactly. Win for the Bayne campaign.

20. - Ghost - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:15 pm:

I fully support Phil Robertson right to stand up and say what he did!

I fully support A&E’s right to say they no longer which to do a program with Phil Robertson.

It seems everyones right to expression is working as intended. Everyone has expressed themselves how they choose. the controversy seems to be from people who want to force others into accepting one of those expressions over the other. And that I do not support.

The right to expression includes the rights of other to counter expressions and actions as well. If somone wants to boycott my business for supporting SSM, people have the same parrelle right to boycott those who do not.

viva la freedom.

21. - J Isbell - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:18 pm:

According to Google News, he was merely mentioned a handful of times in articles. Now, the guy will get national attention. I certainly don’t think Phil is a Rosa Parks, but “there is no such thing as bad publicity”.

22. - Loop Lady - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:24 pm:

DD does NOT permeate everything…when are folks going to tire of “reality” shows that have nothing to do with reality and everything to do with cheaply made TV profits?…here’s a reality: this “White Trash” family is worth $80 million…

23. - anonymous - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:25 pm:

I lost some admiration for Rosa Parks when I learned that she underwent training before staging the bus incident. It was not as spontaneous as reported. It was coordinated and planned by political leftists.

24. - Curmudgeon - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:28 pm:

Bayne (whoever he may be) sez Robertson = Rosa Parks?

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Stupid Party.

BTW, per my cousin’s husband who’s driving across TX, LA and MS today, the DD comments/response is THE discussion topic on local talk radio.

25. - wordslinger - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:30 pm:

–I lost some admiration for Rosa Parks when I learned that she underwent training before staging the bus incident. It was not as spontaneous as reported. It was coordinated and planned by political leftists–

LOL, yeah, that makes a big difference.

I understand those lunch-counter sit-ins and voters rights marches were conspiracies hatched by political leftists, too.

Not only that, but I have it on good authority that those guys planned to meet at Independence Hall in Philly in 1776 to talk treason.

26. - Northsider - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:31 pm:

Phil Robertson is free to espouse his bigotry, and A&E is free to suspend him for doing so. A&E is not the government suppressing speech, it’s a corporation responding to the free market.

Those who compare the reaction to Robertson’s idiocy to Stalin’s gulag, Nazism, or anything remotely close, are idiots and fools who either have no idea of what they speak or are deliberately cheapening and obfuscating the true horrors of those monsters and what they did.

I believe the Bible also has something to say about not eating pork and shellfish, and takes a dim view about speaking falsehoods, too. Funny how these professional martyrs seem never have anything to say about those verses.

27. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:32 pm:

Welp, I guess lunacy explained through heroes makes everything better.

Really, it’s just pathetic layers upon pathetic layers.

28. - Loop Lady - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:33 pm:

Anonymous 12:25: So I guess your point is that her peaceful protest against racism is not as legitimate as you thought because she was trained to do so…right? In the fashion of Rich Miller, please bite me you lame brain…

29. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:34 pm:

=== please bite me you lame brain===

LOL. I knew I shouldn’t have posted that press release.

Calm down, everybody. It’s just show bidness.

30. - olddog - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:34 pm:

@ CircularFiringSquad 11:44 === Guessing the white trash manifesto timed to help move all the DD gear still piled up in stores. ===

Yep.

This whole kerfuffle is about branding, not the First Amendment, and as soon as the Duck dynasts negotiate their way out of next season’s contract, no doubt they’ll make a pot of money out of it. So will A&E. And so will the late-night comedians and the talking heads on Fox News and MSNBC.

31. - Ghost - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:35 pm:

We need to defend christian marriage, me and my fourth wife and my mistress believe this strongly!

32. - train111 - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:39 pm:

33. - wordslinger - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:44 pm:

–What’s amazing to me is how quickly Christian conservatives who pride themselves on teaching ‘personal responsibility’ latch onto the ‘liberal media’ victim card everytime things don’t go their way. –

It’s big fat fastball down Broadway for the Perpetual Victims business model. Rating spikes for talk radio and Fox, and the DD stuff will be flying off the shelves for Christmas.

34. - Wensicia - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:51 pm:

Let’s see if Robertson ends up replacing Joe the Plumber during the 2014 elections. Hatin’ is in with the national right.

35. - Demoralized - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:54 pm:

==It was coordinated and planned by political leftists. ==

And the kooks come out of the woodwork . . .

+++++++++++++++++++++++

36. - FormerParatrooper - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:56 pm:

So the man has a belief from scripture and that belief is shared by many of Faith, but saying it out loud is a reason to be protested? Many Faiths share the same view. Maybe it is not Mr Robertson that should be protested if you are angry, but the major religions of Christianity, Muslim and Jewish philosophy should be protested.

@Northsider, in the New Testament Jesus released Christians from the Old Testament diet restrictions, eating shellfish, pork etc is clean for Christians.

This whole thing is blown completely out of control. People are hyper sensitive to any perceived slight and will go to great ends to destroy someone. The man did not say anyone should be jailed or killed for their lifestyle, and he did say that we should all work to love and get along together.

37. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 12:57 pm:

I had never heard of these people before now, so I guess this is some kind of ratings grab. Only doesn’t this banned guy have to still be on the show for it to work?

Also, what is it they do that makes people watch this show anyway? They look like a ZZ Top tribute band.

38. - countyline - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:06 pm:

-These people really need to grow up and stop playing the victim and realize that somebody disagreeing with their beliefs does not make them a persecuted bunch-

That works both ways, does it not ?

39. - Ghost - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:08 pm:

until the The Wild and Wonderful Whites weigh in I am not sure what to think…..

40. - Shark Sandwich - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:10 pm:

Who could predict a duck call millionaire could get in so much trouble blowing a dog whistle?

41. - John A Logan - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:11 pm:

All I can say is I will be glad when this all blows over. My Facebook newsfeed can’t take it. With all due respect, I wish you would not have even posted this. It was the last media outlet in the universe that was Phil Robertson free.

42. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:15 pm:

Rosa Parks makes me want to actively participate in politics and democracy.

Ian Bayne does not.

43. - PublicServant - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:16 pm:

countyline, you better start watching DD every time it’s on because even though Robertson has a right to state his beliefs, a large portion of DD’s audience is going to be tuning out because of there right to be offended by those beliefs. Oh, and don’t take it from me, take it from the network (driven by pure market reasoning usually worshipped by the right) that dumped him.

44. - PublicServant - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:17 pm:

Gah! “their” How gauche of me.

45. - CircularFiringSquad - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:17 pm:

Mr./Ms. Odddog:
    The branding has been done. Now the quest is to move product —- lots and lots of product.
    In the meantime it is refreshing to see Phil and the White Trash Time Machine has replaced the Mandela translator as “Breaking News” on Fox.
    BTW we are guessing this will be record breaking sales for GQ.
    Hey does someone get a comment from FarmerBrucey on this one.

46. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:18 pm:

===that dumped him===

They suspended him after the season had already ended. C’mon.

47. - ScoutingSI - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:23 pm:

Rich, let’s not forget that shooting for the next season was already complete as well.

48. - CircularFiringSquad - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:23 pm:

Actually he was suspended after the season 4 episode was shot and in the can..wondering how long ago the GQ interview was done?

Also cannot help asking if this press release were posted on a more DD oriented website how many readers would know who Rosa Parks was?

49. - PublicServant - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 1:35 pm:

Don’t reruns run commercials that make the network money? Why do you think they suspended him?

50. - Generation X - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:11 pm:

-I don’t know where this crap about Christians being persecuted is coming from. It’s laughable that anybody in this country even suggests that such a thing is happening in the United States. They are obviously ignorant of what real persecution looks like or they wouldn’t say such stupid things. These people really need to grow up and stop playing the victim and realize that somebody disagreeing with their beliefs does not make them a persecuted bunch. Dopes.-

51. - Downstater - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:15 pm:

52. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:16 pm:

=== I don’t know where this crap about Christians being persecuted is coming from. ===

Perhaps from the September 2012 Pew study “Rising Tide of Restrictions on Religion” which shows that “it’s Christians that have been persecuted in the most countries between 2006 - 2010.”

Or the January 2013 Reuters article “About 100 million Christians persecuted around the world: report”.

Or the 2010 COMECE report concluding that “at least 75 per cent of all religious persecution was directed against Christians.”

Persecution of Christians certainly exists, just as persecution of Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, and nearly every other religion also exists.

It happens globally and it also happens in our own backyard. Same with racism, sexism and so on.

Pretending it doesn’t exist or calling it “crap” is just as bad as pretending it is a constantly suffocating oppression.

Not everyone is guilty of these things. But they do occur, and none of it is acceptable.

53. - Nieva - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:19 pm:

You all are pretty quick to call poor Phil hurtful names on here. In the words of Rodney Dangerfield “why can’t we all get along.”

54. - wordslinger - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:22 pm:

–Like to see the reaction from the left, if this comment was made by a high ranking Muslim, which they strongly believe.–

Because those on the left are anti-Christian, right? And Robertson speaks for all Christians?

And everyone on the right approves of homophobic slurs, correct?

Life is so simple.

What’s “a high-ranking Muslim,” anyway? Is Robertson a “high-ranking Christian?”

55. - Wensicia - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:22 pm:

==if this comment was made by a high ranking Muslim, which they strongly believe.==

If the high ranking Muslim was a citizen of the United States, this left-leaning independent would feel the same.

56. - Aldyth - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:32 pm:

There are days when I wish Capitol Fax had “like” buttons for comments.

57. - Robert the Bruce - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:35 pm:

What a disgusting thing to say by Bayne. I wonder if he really believes it or if he is just cynically trying for attention in a republican primary.

Anyway, I find Ian Bayne’s donation amounts creatively entertaining.

$25 the price of a 1/4 tank of gas under Obama
    $50 the likely price to register your gun under Obama
    $100 the price of a “red light camera” ticket

58. - kimocat - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:38 pm:

I can’t say I’m surprised that someone on the trash show Duck Dynasty let some disgusting bigotry fall out of his mouth in the wrong place. But having GOP politicians go begging for cameos on the show so they can cozy up to these types? Just yesterday I watched Reince Preibus on MSNBC touting how the GOP was becoming a big tent — more like a pup tent full of crazy nasty.

59. - Snucka - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:42 pm:

The things that Mr. Robertson said are the issue. There is nothing magical about using the word “faith” to justify a belief or a hateful remark. The things he said are wrong, hateful and bigoted. Not sure anyone who considers himself or herself a “Christian” or “conservative” would actually WANT Mr. Robertson’s remarks to be associated with Christianity or conservatism.

60. - PublicServant - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:44 pm:

===Is Robertson a “high-ranking Christian?===

I’m not sure about that Word, but spend a day in the bush with that guy, and you’ll surely know how rank he is.

61. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:46 pm:

===Like to see the reaction from the left, if this comment was made by a high ranking Muslim, which they strongly believe. ===

So, you’re equating Duck man’s comments to a high ranking Muslim?

I’m not sure I get it.

Also, is Duck man a high-ranking Christian?

Try again, please.

62. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:49 pm:

===In the words of Rodney Dangerfield===

Wrong Rodney.

63. - Ghost - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:50 pm:

Can I be a high ranking poster?

64. - persecuted - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 2:54 pm:

All I take from all this is that DD guys seem to wear Carhartt just as Bruce Rauner wears Carhartt but none of them seem to show any signs of scooping out a dairy cow barn which I would so like to see them doing.

65. - OldSmoky2 - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 3:02 pm:

So not a single one of the people defending Robertson is offended by his comments about how “happy” and “godly” black people were in the old cotton fields down South in the days of Jim Crow? Really? It’s beyond ignorant that anyone, let alone someone who thinks he ought to be representing black constituents in Congress, would compare someone who believes that rationalization to Rosa Parks.

66. - Almost the Weekend - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 3:16 pm:

Downstater I thought you would like this. Enjoy your early Christmas present or should I say Holiday present?

67. - countyline - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 3:26 pm:

Public - Actually I’ve never watched the show.

-a large portion of DD’s audience is going to be tuning out because of there right to be offended by those beliefs-

Not likely. Oh, they will be tuning out, but only because they will be boycotting A&E. I support every business’s right to make decisions and take a course of action that they’ll feel is in their best interest, just as I feel every employee (the duck people) and customer (the viewers) have a right to “vote with their feet” and take business elsewhere. I actually hope that the duck people walk away from the show.

68. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 3:28 pm:

CFS, where I’ve been shopping, the DD stuff has been unceremoniously dumped on tables/shelves in the back and marked down. Fine by me- less dough for the redneck bigots.

69. - Rich Miller - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 3:32 pm:

=== I’ve never watched the show.===

I prefer those wild boar hunters.

To me, that’s real hunting - an animal that hunts you back. Plus, it’s just way more entertaining. If I’m gonna watch, um, hill folk on my teevee, I prefer that they actually be doing something rather than just sitting around all day jabbering about how to spend all their new money and putting themselves into one obviously contrived situation after another. The show just sucks. Poorly written. Gimme some action any day.

70. - TooManyJens - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 3:58 pm:

Formerly Known As, Christians are not persecuted in the United States. Sometimes people behave in an unjust way toward Christians, as with anyone else. But Christians are free to worship, do not have to fear for their lives or livelihoods for being Christians, and — oh yeah — occupy the vast majority of elected positions in this country.

In the United States, “persecution of Christians” usually means “saying Happy Holidays” or “not wanting to be associated with the views of right-wing Christians” or “Christians having to follow the same laws as everyone else.”

On the bright side, this whole Duck Dynasty thing really provides a nice capper to the War on Christmas season.

71. - Demoralized - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 4:01 pm:

@Formerly Known As:

Christians are NOT being persecuted in this country. I’m not talking about the world. I’m talking about the USA. So I stand by my statement. It’s utter BS to claim persecution of Christians in the United States, and it’s actually insulting (I would think) to other Christians around the world who experience actual persecution.

72. - Wordslinger - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 4:09 pm:

Every year about this time, I hear about the War on Christmas.

And every year, about halfway through the Christmas parties and Christmas shopping, I check my bankroll.

Christmas wins, again.

73. - Anonymous - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 4:13 pm:

Amen to that Demoralized. Err, oh, sorry.

74. - Nieva - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 4:24 pm:

Just an attempt at humor Rich. King was the man but Dangerfield would have been more respected.

75. - TooManyJens - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 4:27 pm:

Wordslinger, that reminds me of this:

76. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Dec 20, 13 @ 4:28 pm:

@Demoralized

It appears we will have to agree to disagree. The only “utter BS”, in my view, is the notion that there is persecution of other religious groups but not Christians in America. The facts and basic logic would seem to counter that notion.

Hatred and oppression comes in all shapes and sizes, and manifest themselves in different ways. It is not always in blatant fashion, nor does it always involve violence. Ask any religious minority going through airport security these days.

Asserting that Christians cannot, are not, and never have been persecuted in America is like asserting minorities cannot be racist. There is plenty of hatred out there in all different shapes and sizes, just as there are plenty of good people out there in all different shapes and sizes.

* Reader comments closed for the holiday weekend
* Fracking rules finally unveiled
* A big IDOT roundup
* Even Steven, for now
* *** UPDATED x1 - Confirmed *** Report: Libertarians file charges
* Big guys dinged a bit, but little guys helped a lot
* Today's photo

* AT&T Offers $100 Bill Credit for New Next Line Activations
        * HTC One E8 lands in the US with carrier support
        * Latest Sony IFA teaser offers some mysterious measurements
        * What’s in our bag for IFA 2014: Pocketnow Insider
        * Nokia brings HERE Maps to Android, exclusively for Samsung models
        * Top 5 predictions for IFA 2014
        * What’s on Michael’s Windows Phone: Pocketnow Insider

* Lyft claims Uber cost its drivers major money with recruitment tactics
        * Big Moves for Shane Smith: Vice Media Is Set to Raise $500 Million and Get Its Own Cable Channel
        * Vice Media sells a 10-percent stake to Disney and Hearst, valuing the company at $2.5B
        * Intel Hires Senior Qualcomm Exec to Boost Mobile Business
        * How a Kickstarter Project Came to Power Cartoon Network’s Next Mobile Game
        * Gadget Lab Podcast: Can I Use My iPhone’s NFC to Pay for My Uber?
        * The internet of things requires connectivity first, but it needs people too

* No plan yet for 'Hawk' to limit travel schedule