Gallup: Half of Illinoisans would leave if they could

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014

* Holy moly

Every state has at least some residents who are looking for greener pastures, but nowhere is the desire to move more prevalent than in Illinois and Connecticut. In both of these states, about half of residents say that if given the chance to move to a different state, they would like to do so. Maryland is a close third, at 47%. By contrast, in Montana, Hawaii, and Maine, just 23% say they would like to relocate. Nearly as few — 24% — feel this way in Oregon, New Hampshire, and Texas.

* Yeesh

* Context

Thirty-three percent of [US state] residents want to move to another state, according to the average of the 50 state responses. Seventeen states come close to that 50-state average. Another 16 are above the average range, including three showing an especially high desire to move. In fact, in these three — Illinois, Connecticut, and Maryland — roughly as many residents want to leave as want to stay.

In the same poll, Gallup asked state residents how likely it is they will move in the next 12 months. On average across all 50 states, 6% of state residents say it is extremely or very likely they will move in the next year, 8% say it is somewhat likely, 14% not too likely, and 73% not likely at all.

* Oy

* Keep in mind that the follow-up question of why they are planning to move has an extremely small sample size

In most states, it is not possible to view these answers because there are too few respondents, but in each of the 11 states with the highest percentages wanting to leave, roughly 100 answered the question.

* In Illinois, 8 percent of those who said they were leaving claimed it was because of taxes (versus 14 percent of New York respondents, 8 percent of Marylanders, 6 percent of Connecticut folks, and 2 percent of N. Carolinians.

26 percent of Illinoisans who said they were leaving claimed it was work/business related, 17 percent said weather/location, 15 percent said it was for a quality of life change, 9 percent said cost of living, and 6 percent said it was for family/friends or school related.

1. - John A Logan - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

No shock to those who have taken the blinders off.

2. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

Geez, a lot of unhappy people in the country.

Life’s short, folks — take a chance, move if you’re unhappy.

What’s going on in Connecticut? Outside of parts of Bridgeport, the whole state is pretty flush.

3. - Befuddled - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:10 pm:

Those jerks who want to leave don’t know how good they have it in Illinois. They’re obviously stupid. They should just move already. Am I right, Flaherty?

4. - Befuddled - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:11 pm:

Previous post is obviously sarcastic.

5. - PMcP - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

Really is a grass is always greener mentality, most people don’t even know what’s best for them anyway and consistently vote against their own self interest. This is fun to talk about but doesn’t really mean anything. Seriously, 20% of the population plans to move out of state in 12 months? Ya that’ll happen…

6. - Southwest Cook - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:17 pm:

Everything’s OK. Nothing to see here. Move along…

7. - Arizona Bob - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:18 pm:

If you’re concerned about the future of funding to support our overpriced, corrupt government in Illinois, you’d be chilled to know that those most eager to leave are the professionals and entrepreneurs in Illinois. You know, the people you need to fund the ridiculous pensions and patronage. In Arizona, most of the people I know who are considering moving are construction workers. After the real estate meltdown, its tough to make a living in the trades here, especially with all the illegal construction labor pouring across the border (thanks, BO!-snark).

8. - Anon - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

== 8 percent say they are leaving because of taxes…26 percent claimed it was work/business related, 17 percent said weather/location, 15 percent said it was for a quality of life change, 9 percent said cost of living, and 6 percent said it was for family/friends or school related.==

It’s remarkable that the exodus, as the GOP loves to describe it, is not tax-related for 92%. Political corruption didn’t make the list. Nor did Democratic control. I guess those residents didn’t get the memo.
    ==

9. - lake county democrat - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:25 pm:

Other than Nevada, those states are pretty densely populated and the “happy” states are pretty sparse. Nevada might be because tourism really took a hit during the Great Recession, but that’s just speculation…

10. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:25 pm:

I would take this poll with a bit of a grain of salt. I wanted to leave Illinois, countless times, but I never did. You see this with others as well. They may carp about living in Illinois, but they’re still here.

The percentages of people who want to leave New York and Maryland are also high, as well as Connecticut. Some may leave, but many stay. Those states are among the highest income states. The money’s good over there. Indiana, where so many say is a place to which to move, is 38th in per capita income–not exactly a lot happening there economically for a lot of people.

As we have mentioned before, the Chicago metro area is one of the best places for corporate investment. That should be a big focus for the state, to continue to develop it and other places in Illinois, in the economic tradition of a higher income state and not like places that are sometimes much lower in per capita income.

11. - Shark Sandwich - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:26 pm:

‘…many of the respondents who said they would leave Illinois if they could further noted that if they had a million dollars, they would quit their jobs at Initech and do nothing…’

12. - Mark Glennon - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

Oh, come on. The “sky is not falling,” right Rich? This is all just a big PR problem caused by the Tribune and Fahner, right?

13. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

I don’t understand the “if they could” part of the question.

You can. No one can stop you. If there is something keeping you somewhere that you can’t live without, then you are where you want to be. You’ll find perfection in heaven.

If I could afford to live in a house on the beach in Maui, I’d leave in a second. Duh. Who wouldn’t?

14. - Walter Mitty - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

Like last week, many comments revolve around excuses or just leave…. I think look at this. The worst response I heard a bad boss say when faced with similiar negative information was to the employee… If you don’t like it leave… Not adressing the underlying issues like this that cause the departure. The EXACT reasons why are irrelevant. The totality is stunning. Both parties take note. You get an F. Solve issues.

15. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:31 pm:

Shark Sandwich, do you like “Kung Fu?”

16. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:34 pm:

Can I pick which half stays?

17. - PublicServant - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:37 pm:

Michele wins!

18. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:38 pm:

Michelle, you’re inspiring.

19. - Walter Mitty - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:41 pm:

Shark… Only if they can take their red swingline stapler with them…

20. - Anon - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:44 pm:

I will 2nd wordslinger’s post. “Could” leave? Again where is they wall or border guards stopping you? The only thing this poll measures is how much people in IL like to complain and how successful those that bash IL are at convincing it citizens life in IL is hell on earth.

21. - Shark Sandwich - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:44 pm:

Word, absolutely I do. And if I had a million dollars, I would look into watching Kung fu movies with Jennifer Anniston. (in whatever state of the union she would agree to.)

22. - Commander Norton - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:45 pm:

It’s telling, though, that Illinois has a lot more people than, say, Montana. If you choose to live in Montana, you probably really like Montana, and you’re a rare individual. It’s not for everybody. Ditto with Maine and probably even Hawaii, as much as most of us would like a vacation there right about now.

I can only speak for myself, but I moved here from another state, and I’ve never been sorry I did.

23. - Todd - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:47 pm:

five years and I can retire. . .

24. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:49 pm:

I don’t want to Jump to Conclusions on this.

If the half that wants to leave, leave by Saturday. That would be great.

Take with you your 500 magazine subscriptions.

Pack light, but have at least 17 pieces of flair when you go, express yourself.

Your old job may not be able to find you, so there may be a glitch. When they fix the glitch, it won’t lead to a confrontation, it will just work itself out.

- Michelle Flaherty - is genius.

To the Post,

- wordslinger - is on it. The wording, geez Louise, it just about prompts you to vote yes, let alone your true feelings.

25. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:49 pm:

I probably would’ve also answered “Yes” to the first question, as a third of Americans did. It’s not that I hate it here at all. It’s just that I moved around a lot when I was younger and occasionally I get the desire to be somewhere else. But I have a good life here and I don’t think I could replicate it elsewhere. If I could do that, though, I’d consider it. Not sure where.

26. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:51 pm:

For those who are interested, there was an excellent long article in the WSJ yesterday on Texas.

They’re booming, of course, largely driven by fracking, and they didn’t get stung as badly by the housing collapse because of strict state regulations on predatory lenders and home equity loans.

But the bill is coming due for roads, schools and, most critically, water. Water is a chronic concern in the southwest and they’re in the second year of a nasty drought.

The WSJ edit board is goofy, but the news pages are still first-rate.

27. - countyline - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:56 pm:

I see most of those states in the first list are very blue…I’m sure there’s no coincidence there either…

28. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

countyline, that’s a good point and I’m gonna ask Gallup a couple of questions about crosstabs.

29. - Secret Square - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 1:59 pm:

I suspect that “we’d move if we could” generally translates to “we’d move if we didn’t have family or work obligations or financial concerns holding us back”. For example, if we didn’t have a spouse or kids that we don’t want to uproot from their job or school; if we didn’t have elderly parents to care for; if we didn’t have a job we don’t want to give up; if we didn’t have a home we’d have to sell, etc. Those are pretty strong anchors, but they don’t last forever — kids grow up, elderly parents pass away, people reach retirement age. A lot of Baby Boomers are reaching these points in life; when those anchors are gone, what will there be to hold them back from leaving? For that reason I suspect that, with levels of discontent that high, the exodus from Illinois will only increase in the coming years if things don’t change.

30. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:02 pm:

–For that reason I suspect that, with levels of discontent that high, the exodus from Illinois will only increase in the coming years if things don’t change.–

What needs to change, as you consider the reasons cited for wanting to move?

31. - Knome Sane - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:04 pm:

Gallup used to be THE name in polling, almost like Nielson was for TV ratings. But their rep took a hit during the past two presidential elections with their blatant pandering to the Fox News set. And as Rich points out, their sample is relatively small, probably with respondents over 50 eyeballing retirement –who else has landline phones? (I don’t expect the cell phone sample was that large.)

32. - PoolGuy - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:04 pm:

oh look, the next headline for the anti-Illinois Policy Institute…

33. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:06 pm:

–five years and I can retire. . .–

Going to be a lot harder to raise money now that c-c has passed, Todd, lol.

34. - Precinct Captain - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:09 pm:

I’d have probably answered yes to moving. I’d like to move from Illinois, but I’d like to stay as well. I’ve never lived in another state, so I think I’d like to try it because there are some great places in the United States. Nashville and Memphis are appealing to me, as is New Orleans. For me it has nothing to with taxes or any such nonsense, since on the whole the major problems are faced by the US vs. other nations, not individual states vs. each other. Instead, I’d like to live in some of the cultural gems of our country, particularly as they relate to music culture or BBQ culture. The Valley of the Sun also seems like an appealing place to live to me, but as Wordslinger mentioned for Texas, there are major water issues in the West. I really wouldn’t take these Gallup results very seriously, but they do make for an interesting discussion point.

35. - Loop Lady - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:11 pm:

Word: I have relatives in Connecticut and evrything outside of Bridgeport is not flush…
    I take it you’ve never been to Hartford or East Hartford…

36. - Norseman - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:13 pm:

Word, I think you answered your own question in your 1:30 pm post. Every time the lotto gets to humongous levels, I buy $10 worth of tickets and dream of the nice area to move to - Maui beach would work. Until that time happens, I’m not sizing up any houses in another state. The time may come when the pull of grandchildren (none yet) or the economics of retirement force a decision to leave. But for now, I’m here in the home we built in Springfield, IL.

37. - Jack - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:15 pm:

Can’t be all that bad for retirees anyway. No tax on pensions and annuities. Flat 5% tax on income.

38. - heartless - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:16 pm:

Thanks rich for putting some balance in the discussion

39. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:19 pm:

== It’s remarkable that the exodus, as the GOP loves to describe it, is not tax-related for 92%. Political corruption didn’t make the list. ==

40. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:20 pm:

–Wow. Sure farmers and small business people can leave. People can uproot their young children. And so on.–

Yes, they can. It happens all the time, everywhere.

41. - Cassandra - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:21 pm:

42. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:25 pm:

== I don’t understand the “if they could” part of the question. ==

43. - john doe - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

I’m retired and will be moving to Hawaii in a few years-obviously not because of high income taxes.I’ve saved up for years and will have to spend alot of money there,thus helping Hawaii’s economy.

44. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:28 pm:

I must admit, I’m curious as to what keeps the super-rich in Illinois.

You can live well anywhere, including Illinois, when you’re super-rich. And you can certainly live large in Chicago when you’re super-rich.

But if I could, literally, live anywhere, I wouldn’t be around much. Definitely not from about Dec. 26 to Memorial Day (I won’t spend a Christmas season in a warm climate; I have principles).

Geez, if I were Rauner, I’d be at the Key Largo estate half the year, and the Manhattan penthouse in good weather. Manhattan with money is a good way to live.

Plus, I’d run for governor of Montana, which would be a whole lot cheaper than running in Illinois.

45. - Secret Square - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:31 pm:

“Coming off of the winter we’ve just had, I’m surprised the number of wanna-moves for Illinois isn’t higher.”

The poll was taken between July and December of last year, BEFORE the horrible winter weather kicked in. Even if this winter had been a factor, though, it was much worse in places like Minnesota, Montana, and North Dakota, yet those people have far less desire to move than we do.

46. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:33 pm:

People don’t live here for the scenery, or the mountains, the ocean views, or the rolling hills. People don’t live here for the winter, or for the summer.

People live in Illinois because this is where they can make money and raise a family. When that gets taken away - they don’t want to stay.

So it is very important that folks who want to no longer see Illinois at the bottom of the lists like this, start considering what needs to be done to keep Illinois a work friendly, family friendly, income generating place to live to offset all the challenges God gave the Sucker State naturally.

Texas is no Garden of Eden, and they pull it off because it is all about making money there.

We used to be that place a century ago.
    No longer.
    We have to get back to being that place or we’ll end up like our neighboring states sooner than later.

Funny how the posters knocking these poll results plan to retire to Florida along with thousands of other Illinoisans. Demographics folks. Release the aged Boomers to their senior apartment complexes in Sarasota, Jacksonville and Naples!

I’ve been watching this situation my whole life in the Chicago Southland, where the rot began back in late 1970s.

47. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:33 pm:

–Personal finances, family obligations, illness, inability to find a job in another state, and not wanting to remove your children from a school they are comfortable in are just a few decent reasons off the top of my head. Pretty certain there are many more.–

For crying out loud, when you can produce s list like that and claim there are more reasons, than you really don’t want to leave, you just want to moan.

Nation of immigrants, remember? Leaving everything behind, crossing oceans, not speaking the language, not knowing anyone, no jobs lined up, etc.

And you see insurmountable barriers to crossing the river.

48. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:34 pm:

Or, as others have astutely pointed out, it could also be the “If I had a million dollars” effect. It’s not the best wording for a question.

Still, it is surprising to see that we’re 9 points higher than New Jersey and 11 points higher than Mississippi. They are certainly beautiful states in their own right, but 50% of Illinoisans seems startling.

49. - Staying, but - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:40 pm:

I’ve known plenty of people who have left. There is a cost to doing it, so it usually happens with some reluctance.

Those who minimize this are part of the problem. The fact is, many people are staying here because the cost to them, their business, and their family outweighs the benefit.

To snear at farmers and chuckle at how they could sell their land and grow cotton in Alabama seems to be the worst sort of attitude.

It worked with ADM, sure. But it doesn’t always work.

Is there going to be a post about income migration so everyone can say good riddance?

50. - RonOglesby - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:44 pm:

Word
    “I must admit, I’m curious as to what keeps the super-rich in Illinois”

Super rich dont feel the bite. I mean if you make 50 million a year or 20 or 10 does 500K more in taxes change your lifestyle at all? probably not. Yes they would fight against it, but since their life style wouldnt change by a move stay here, their business is here, their kids, grandkids, etc.

The problem I see is people like me. The up and comers. Those that started our making 6.50 an hour 15 years ago and now are 100K plus. we are told we are the problem. We dont pay enough. And every step of doing business in Illinois is nightmare from licensing to zoning to permits, etc, etc.

Someone like me can make more money, that has a direct impact on my family. And of course has lots of potential to earn even more (and yes pay more in taxes as that happens). These are the folks you want to keep. At least I would think. There are lots more of us than there are of the super rich and a broad tax base at level is what is needed.

51. - RonOglesby - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:47 pm:

Also, people seem to think this is the “IF I had a million dollars…” I am sure there is some of that BUT this was a poll in all the states. not just Illinois. And every state has people with that attitude… We still led.

As to the last winter. Wisconsin Mich, Indiana, Iowa, Minn, etc all took the same beating, yet we still led the pack.

52. - Secret Square - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 2:50 pm:

“or we’ll end up like our neighboring states sooner (rather) than later.”

You make that sound like a bad thing, yet it would appear that our neighbors seem, generally, to be happier or at least more comfortable… take a look at the poll results for all the neighboring states and it would appear that NONE come close to the levels of discontent seen in Illinois. Indiana does have 38 percent saying they wish they could move, but that’s still 12 points lower than us. Yesterday’s poll shows that Iowa has a majority (56%), and Wisconsin a plurality (49%) of citizens saying they consider their state among the best places to live. No neighboring state has “worst” ratings above single digits.

53. - April Fool - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:04 pm:

“Thus why my home goes on the market next week. I am taking the advice of so many here on CapFax and leaving…”

Well I’m glad you are doing what makes you happy.

54. - RonOglesby - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:07 pm:

@April Fool
    “Well I’m glad you are doing what makes you happy.”

Thanks. its a big decision. I was born here, raised here, my kids were born here. But its a grand adventure.

55. - April Fool - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:10 pm:

“You make that sound like a bad thing, yet it would appear that our neighbors seem, generally, to be happier or at least more comfortable…”

I have been in each of our neighboring states and I have never felt like they have had more to offer than right here at home. Now if you are not as concerned about having constant access to, for example, world class restaurants and entertainment, a simple life in those states will probably do just fine.

56. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:10 pm:

RonOglesby - I hope you’ll stay an active part of the community here, and that you get your asking price. Good luck.

57. - Bobbysox - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:19 pm:

How could I ever leave my White Sox?

58. - Norseman - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:19 pm:

=== I have been in each of our neighboring states and I have never felt like they have had more to offer than right here at home. ===

I agree. I’d have to get season tickets to the Packers to move to Wisconsin. Grandchildren may get me to Missouri. Otherwise, I’d want temperate climate and a lot more fun things to do.

59. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:25 pm:

== I have never felt like they have had more to offer than right here at home ==

While I have no desire to leave for one of our neighboring states either, we are losing people to them. According to the most recent Census State-to-State migration data available, in 2012 Illinois lost a net of:

-11,529 people to Indiana
    -3,440 to Iowa
    -1,522 to Kentucky
    -8,737 to Missouri
    -7,871 to Wisconsin

60. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:27 pm:

And while I won’t pretend to understand every detail of it, it is happening.

61. - Anon - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:37 pm:

“A lot of Baby Boomers are reaching these points in life; when those anchors are gone, what will there be to hold them back from leaving?”

Illinois does not tax retirement income or Social Security.

62. - RonOglesby - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

I hope you’ll stay an active part of the community here…”

I hope to. Its still my “home” state.

“How could I ever leave my White Sox? ”

TV! just like the Bears and NFL Sunday Ticket!

63. - john doe - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

They may not tax retirement income now, but if Illinois keeps going downhill, that could easily change.

64. - Anon - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:42 pm:

“Wow. Sure farmers and small business people can leave. ”

How is a farmer going to re-locate his IL grain farm to the desert, mountains, sub-tropics? :)

65. - Johnny Utah - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:47 pm:

Those gosh-darn right-wing poll respondents! All 600 of them must have gotten their talking points from IPI!!

66. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:55 pm:

== Those gosh-darn right-wing poll respondents! ==

Clearly, this nationwide poll conducted by an independent third party must have been rigged.

The fact Illinois keeps turning up at the bottom of these polls is all part of a larger plot to embarrass Governor Quinn, Speaker Madigan and Illinois Democrats in general. /s

67. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 3:59 pm:

Also infiltrated is the Department of Labor, the Census bureau and a variety of other official government agencies as well as their statistical reports :)

68. - Johnny Utah - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 4:02 pm:

69. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 4:05 pm:

===Johnny Utah - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 4:02 pm:

There should be an “exit tax” to teach these people a lesson…and to make up for the state and local taxes they’re avoiding by leaving.===

Sick as it sounds Johnny, there is in many municipalities. Real Estate Tax Stamps based on the sale price of your home; a transfer tax. It’s a treat most folks don’t discover until moving day.

70. - Secret Square - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 4:07 pm:

“if you are not as concerned about having constant access to, for example, world class restaurants and entertainment, a simple life in those states will probably do just fine.”

I don’t know too many people who live south of I-80 who are concerned about that. Which raises the question: what proportion of the Illinois malcontents (i.e. those who rated it the “worst” state and/or those who said they would leave if they could) are from Chicago, the suburbs and downstate? I suspect that discontent is highest downstate for all the reasons we know and love, but runs a close second in Chicago due to crime, cost of living, taxes, etc.

Don’t know if Gallup broke down those numbers, but I would not be surprised if the percentage of Illinois residents who want to bail is well above 50 percent downstate, close to 50 percent in the city and below 50 percent in the suburbs.

71. - Anon - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 4:09 pm:

== Looks like someone missed yesterday’s posts. Taxes and trust in government are also major contributing factors to why residents say they are so unhappy in Illinois.==

Nothing in yesterday’s post contradicts this fact: When people who say they are moving are asked why, ony 8% mention taxes. The other reasons movers give do not include the usual items on the GOP’s Democrats-are-to-blame list.

72. - RonOglesby - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 4:09 pm:

Wasn’t Jersey doing that. Sell a house, if the “profit” was used in to buy the next home in jersey they took a big chunk of it… Basically an exit tax to keep people from leaving. Always popular to tax the “other”.

73. - Johnny Utah - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 4:17 pm:

If taxing ain’t the problem I reckon it could be the solution! Someone get a bill on Govvy Quinn’s desk to impose a wealth tax on anyone leaving the state.

74. - Streator Curmudgeon - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 7:35 pm:

I stay because my family is here. But Illinois has the most corrupt state government, some of the worst weather, some of the worst roads, highest taxes, and one of the worst crime rates in the country.

Other than that, I like it. (Snark)

75. - liandro - Wednesday, Apr 30, 14 @ 9:21 pm:

“(I won’t spend a Christmas season in a warm climate; I have principles)”

@Word: I respect principles. Christmas should have snow.

76. - wordslinger - Thursday, May 1, 14 @ 1:17 am:

–How is a farmer going to re-locate his IL grain farm to the desert, mountains, sub-tropics?–

They sell, of course, and do something else with the proceeds. Kind of a capitalist thing. Happens all the time.

Look, they call it a “big move” because it’s a big move. Why would anyone think they’re entitled for it to be easy or without risk?

And if you can’t live without the family farm, why even bother with daydreams about moving out of state? You won’t even consider moving into town.

77. - Pensioner - Thursday, May 1, 14 @ 7:15 am:

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. A stupidly worded poll question. As John Mclaughlin says, bye bye!

78. - RonOglesby - Thursday, May 1, 14 @ 8:01 am:

@pensioner

Ahhh, yes, kick out any tax payers! way to go. How will that help your pension?

79. - รับสอนภาษาอังกฤษ - Thursday, May 1, 14 @ 6:23 pm:

I think this is among the most significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But should remark
    on few general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D.
    Good job, cheers

* Gonna be a light day here
* No details except for a new hole
* Frerichs to Simon: No thanks

* Samsung Galaxy E7 sees specs leaked by benchmark
        * Lightning-fast 4G connectivity: India, say hello to Nokia Lumia 638
        * Samsung to update Galaxy Note 4, Note Edge directly to Android 5.0.1
        * Baldurs Gate II Enhanced Edition makes its way to Android
        * Forensic software gets around Apple's iCloud security features
        * BLU Studio 7.0 may be more tablet than phone, but it sure is affordable
        * Bit Dungeon II: Game to save your soul from eternal damnation

* UK carriers agree to boost coverage, avoiding national roaming
        * Netflix will not offer offline playback
        * Guy boils his iPhone 6 in Coca-Cola