*** UPDATED x1 *** Lifestyles of the rich and famous

Tuesday, Sep 2, 2014

* The Tribune had a story the other day about Rahm Emanuel’s ties to Bruce Rauner. It skipped some important bones of contention, particularly those Rauner robocalls slamming Rahm’s pension reform plan. But, anyway, from the story

Just a few months before announcing plans to become Chicago’s next Democratic mayor, Rahm Emanuel strolled down the gravel path to a Montana resort restaurant with Republican businessman Bruce Rauner, both men smiling as they carried bottles of wine.

In his hand, Emanuel carried a bottle of Napa Valley Reserve. The wine — which a spokeswoman says was not Emanuel’s — is so exclusive it is available only through a private vineyard whose members pay six figures to join the club. […]

[Emanuel’s spokeswoman] said the bottle did not belong to Emanuel. Officials from Rauner’s campaign declined to comment.

* The Sun-Times followed up

Q: Do you belong to a wine club that costs $100,000 to be a member of?

RAUNER: (Laughs) I have many investments and I am a member of many clubs.

REPORTER: So that is a yes?

RAUNER: Yes.

* And the Quinn campaign pounced…

Quinn for Illinois spokesman Izabela Miltko issued the below statement regarding Republican billionaire Bruce Rauner’s comments today confirming that he belongs to an invitation-only wine club that requires a more than $140,000 initiation fee, a fact he hid from the Chicago Tribune over the weekend.

According to the wine club, the membership structure is similar to most fine private clubs. Membership is non-equity and by invitation only. There is a membership deposit with two levels of membership: Estate Vineyard Program and Designated Vineyard Program, both requiring an initiation fee of more than $140,000.

“You just can’t get more out-of-touch than Republican billionaire Bruce Rauner.

“While enjoying a luxury $140,000 wine club membership, Republican Bruce Rauner actually proposed to cut the minimum wage, taking $2,000 a year out of the pockets of hard-working Illinois families.

“Mr. Rauner’s proposal to cut the minimum wage was heartless on its own merits. The fact that when he made it, he was wining and dining himself on the best wine money can buy is even more callous.

“Bruce Rauner may not like the minimum wage, but he sure loves his vino.”

*** UPDATE *** From what I know of Rauner (spend big bucks on things that appreciate, like land and mansions, don’t spend money on stuff like watches and cars, which often lose value), I wouldn’t have guessed he would get suckered into spending that much money to join a wine club. WaPo has another possible explanation that makes more sense to me

While Rauner said he belongs to the club, it’s not clear if it’s NVR — or what he might have paid for that membership. As Worth dot com notes, Rauner was also a silent partner in Harlan’s first investment in vineyard property in Napa Valley. Perhaps his investment in land that Worth (the site) says could have been worth (the noun) somewhere in the neighborhood of nine figures meant he was grandfathered in.

1. - Precinct Captain - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:28 pm:

Rauner’s wine club invitation cost is about 2.5 times the Illinois median household income from 2008 to 2012.

2. - anon - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:33 pm:

Since Rauner is calling out Quinn for his min wage stunt isn’t time to call out the carhartt and watch for “stuntism.” A $140,000 wine club? Really?

3. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:34 pm:

“That Rahm never could hold his liquor”.

4. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:36 pm:

There ya go.
    Proof that the Quinn ad of him mowing his lawn is a good one.

It is so good, this “Rauner is so rich that he (blah, blah, blah), news line was released today.

5. - Stones - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:37 pm:

Do you suppose he wears his $18 watch to wine club meetings?

6. - OneMan - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:37 pm:

Rich guy is rich…

7. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:38 pm:

To earn $140K, an Illinois minimum wage worker would have to save eight full years of income. 8 years!

Yeah, Rauner’s not out of touch or anything. He’s just like us.

8. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:39 pm:

===There is a membership deposit with two levels of membership: Estate Vineyard Program and Designated Vineyard Program, both requiring an initiation fee of more than $140,000.===

Attention state workers, Unions, teachers…

That $140K is more than a vast amount, a significant majority of your yearly earned incomes…

…as an initiation fee.

Nothing is done, achieved, owned…that’s the fee…so you can do things, partake, buy…

Bruce Rauner is mocking us all.

===RAUNER: (Laughs) I have many investments and I am a member of many clubs.===

Sorry, Bruce Rauner is laughing…at us all.

Don’t tell me you like ridin’ your Harley, chomp on See-Gars, wear a Carhartt, have a cheap watch…like all the little people, then laugh…laugh…at the idea of dropping $140K…just like everyone else.

Nice picture of Rahm and that bottle of wine…at Bruce Rauner’s ranch.

Vote accordingly, against your better self teachers, Unions, state workers…while Rauner sits down government, he will be sipping $100K bottles of wine, talking to Rahm maybe, about heading West, since the state us shutdown and all…

9. - Gooner - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:42 pm:

Yeah, Rauner is rich.

As much as I feel this is irrelevant, voters seem to go for it.

As such, well played by Team Quinn.

The goal is to get more votes than the other guy, and this helps.

Is it sort of appalling that they would stoop to the “HE’S RICH!” line? Sure. But we can blame the voters for caring. As such, look for Quinn to bring out every single item in Rauner’s budget.

10. - Just Observing - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:44 pm:

=== he belongs to an invitation-only wine club that requires a more than $140,000 initiation fee, a fact he hid from the Chicago Tribune over the weekend. ===

How did he hide this? Is this something he must disclose?

This is a silly attack on Rauner and it will not resonate with the voters. We all know $140,000 is a boat load of money (especially for a wine club), but it’s not like we didn’t know Rauner was a billionaire.

11. - Peoria guy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:44 pm:

500 times $140,000=$70,000,000 Now that is a racket!

12. - Peoria guy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:46 pm:

Rauner is rich and can spend his money as he wishes. That said, you spend money like that and you cannot hide it. Own it.

13. - MrJM - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:47 pm:

With $140,000 he could have bought a pretty nice watch.

– MrJM

14. - Peoria guy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:48 pm:

It will resonate with some. You spend money like that and then oppose a minimum wage hike and it does look very hypocritical.

15. - Weltschmerz - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:51 pm:

I’m waiting for the video of Rauner diving into a pool of money ala Scrooge McDuck. “Did I drink a $100,000.00 bottle of wine in here last night? I did. Thank God, I thought I’d lost it.”. - W.C. Fields, sort of.

16. - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:52 pm:

“Bruce Rauner may not like the minimum wage, but he sure loves his vino.” — Good line by the PQ campaign. Could it be they’re finally finding their voice?

17. - Archiesmom - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

I love good wine, and belong to three clubs. None of mine have an initiation fee. Must be nice.

18. - Robo - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

They should have had their bottles in paper bags.

19. - Under Further Review - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:54 pm:

More empty class warfare from Quinn. If the incumbent had any type of record to run on, he would not have to resort to stunts like this, but this is the script that the DNC is running on since the past few years of their governance has been less than exemplary.

All of the politicians in Illinois are living lives of privilege. They earn full-time wages for part-time work with wonderful benefits. Their ability to relate to the poor is simply a pose since their policies have impoverished many of us.

20. - Archiesmom - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:55 pm:

Oh yeah, and I think “good” wine is a relative term.

21. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:55 pm:

Suburban moms like wine. Quit talking about the price and just pour them a glass.

22. - JS Mill - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:55 pm:

Bruce Rauner is…wait for it…RICH!! Big deal, I know, as others have stated, that matters to some people. Not to me. Convince me that you can do better the Colonel Clueless Quinn and you earn my vote. So far my decision is between bad and worse (as I see it today). BR- SHOW me how the magic numbers work. PQ- convince me you will screw up less than you have in the past (low bar).

23. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:58 pm:

== “Bruce Rauner may not like the minimum wage, but he sure loves his vino.” ==

What a line.

Whether or not Rauner belongs to a wine club or is wealthy tells us little about his ability to do the job. And the more we focus on wine clubs or graham crackers, the less we focus on the increase in Illinois children living in poverty under Governor Quinn or Mr. Rauner’s failure to provide something resembling a real plan beyond “shake up Springfield”.

That’s still a great line though.

24. - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:58 pm:

Just checked out the vino web site. Wow: “The Napa Valley Reserve is a PRIVATE CLUB with a Membership of approximately 500 couples who share A PASSION FOR WINE AND THE WAY OF LIFE THAT SURROUNDS IT. While grape growing and winemaking are central to The Reserve experience, Members, who come from more than 37 states and 11 countries, share other passions as well, including travel, THE SPORTING LIFE, culinary arts, FINE ART AND LEGENDARY AUTOMOBILES, among others. We offer our Members UNPARALLELED EXPERIENCES in a beautiful, PRIVATE SETTING where they are at liberty to relax and enjoy one another’s good company.” (Emphasis added.)

If that doesn’t sum up the winner-take-all economy — the growing gap between the uber-rich and the rest of us — then nothing does.

25. - bottom rung. - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:00 pm:

And he still insisted on a cash bar election night.

26. - One of the 35 - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:04 pm:

Some voters will not care. But many more will.

27. - lovecraft - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:09 pm:

I guess the informed voters of this state figure that since man of the people Rauner made himself so rich, he’s going to make all of us in Illinois rich, too. what a xmas present this snake oil salesman is going to be for Illinois.

28. - Soccermom - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:14 pm:

29. - Farker - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:16 pm:

@Stones

No he wears the Breitling to the wine club meeting. The barn jackets and cheap watches are ploys because he thinks we are all rubes and not smart enough to know a plutocrat when we see one.

30. - Newtrier Tommy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:19 pm:

Rich you typically lean more liberal in your support, I get that and I understand that, Heck it’s your blog! I also will state as it is your blog in fairness you do slap around the Dems at times and it is true you often do, call it out as you see it. non scientific poll.. you tend to play in the sandbox with a 64/40 skew.. 60% fair 40% unfair in the Donkey VS the elephant political theatrics game.. But an article with comments like this only serves to point out in a momentous fashion the extent to which you really are a Democrat and by proxy Pat Quinn guy!
    I would assume just short of assuming a retained blogger of both.???

some reason I don’t expect this post to remain on line here long???

31. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:21 pm:

Newtrier Tommy apparently didn’t see the update, and can bite me.

32. - anon - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:21 pm:

Too many missing the point. Rauner’s wealth isn’t the issue. Out-of-touch rich guy is not how he has positioned himself to the voters. $18 watch, carhartt jacket, huntin and fishin - doesn’t jive with $140K wine club and yukking it up with Rahm. This is a two-faced man. If you don’t know who someone really is AND they won’t announce a plan with hard numbers, who in the heck are we voting for?

33. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:22 pm:

===Soccermom - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:14 pm:

A guy — if that’s an invitation, then here’s one suburban mom who’d love a glass or two.===

S-Mom, I’ll keep my eye out for a bottle in the phone centers. Pretty sure Rahm finished up every drop in his. If I get my hands on any, I’ll know where to find you and let you know! lol

34. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:25 pm:

To the update: No biting.

35. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:28 pm:

To the Update,

Then why the heck…not just come clean and say what the update says makes sound sense for an investor.

Rauner is a Dope, allowing narratives of negativity, by being so dishonest about some of the most benign things that make him look so terrible.

Rauner Press Crew,

Every time your Principle steps in It, it’s your fault that the mess begins and ends, with the hiding/concealing/lying about what is perceived, and what is the truth, that is far less hurtful than the Dopey cover stories, or the utterly arrogant laughing at questions that have simple answers;

“Oh yeah, I’m a member. It’s great. I was fortunate because if a past investment, I was grandfathered into the club, and with risks, sometimes come rewards. It was a good deal made better, and I’ll drink a toast to that!”

Humble. Honest. Work rewards, American Dream stuff…

Pathetic way to run for office, actually hiding successes, then laughing at their reveal.

Can’t govern this way, won’t work.

36. - Wally - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:29 pm:

Didn’t Sam Walton roam around in an old pick-up truck with a hound by his side. Was Sam rich???

Has anybody wondered who else belonged to the wine club. Possibly some rather wealthy people who could do business together.

37. - zatoichi - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:30 pm:

I was at a social gathering recently. One gentleman asked if the wine was worth drinking. My response: ‘It’s free, their pouring, my glass is half full. The brats are coming soon.’

If Rauner wants to spend his cash in a private club, well, his bucks. Enjoy.

38. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:36 pm:

NewTrier Tommy, another victim heard from, and an incoherent one at that. I can now see why Rauner dropped all that money and used all that clout to get his kid out of there.

It was the banner story of the Sunday Trib, putz. Might be of interest to a political blog, you think?

You can spin the moronic “class warfare” line all you want. If Rauner didn’t think it was a problem, he wouldn’t have based his campaign on the cheap watch and barn coat.

39. - Newtrier Tommy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:39 pm:

no I did not see that update at time…..
    So ok you rise to a 75/25 Donkey VS elephant on the merit of that article because really it serves no purpose but to cast Rauner in a bad light… and I get the feeling you know that?

…bite me…? OUCH! but ok it is your blog

40. - Grandson of Man - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

So the Charter School Bros are enjoying wine that almost none of us can enjoy, while charter schools are underperforming in Chicago compared to traditional schools.

It could be a very interesting mayoral race for Mr. Emanuel. He may have plenty of free time afterward to enjoy the best vintages.

41. - Cabildero - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

I don’t understand why one even needs to be a member of a wine club. You can get good wine - cheap and expensive - without joining a club. I mean, are there meetings?

42. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:41 pm:

- Newtrier Tommy -,

===But an article with comments like this only serves to point out in a momentous fashion the extent to which you really are a Democrat and by proxy Pat Quinn guy!===

You are judging Rich because if what you read from the commenters?

That’s fun.

Makes no sense that Rich is responsible, but if it makes you feel better that he is responsible for how others think, that is pretty ignorant of what goes on in comments.

43. - Rahm'sMiddleFinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:42 pm:

Wally, as OW pointed out, the problem he is trying to sell himself as a regular Joe Six-Pack. $18 watch, Harley, etc. The reality is he belongs to six figure wine clubs and owns 9 homes. He’s not a regular guy… not even close.

44. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:43 pm:

–I don’t understand why one even needs to be a member of a wine club.–

It’s just another status symbol, like having a moat or being called governor.

45. - JS Mill - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

@Wally- It is not, I repeat NOT the wealth that is the issue. It is the “pretend I am one of you and not a rich guy” theme along with magic math and pandering to each crowd that IS the PROBLEM. Wordslinger said it- his message should have been “I worked hard to get where I am at, if I am governor I will make sure your hard work pays off too!”. Nope, his message is “I will lower/raise minimum wage” yada yada yada. Get over it dope.

46. - Been There - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:48 pm:

===And he still insisted on a cash bar election night. ===
    Really? That would be just plain wrong in my book.

47. - Cook County Commoner - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:54 pm:

I don’t see the problem with a governor who can have a knowledgeable conversation with a sommelier. Illinois produces some wine. It may be a plus.
    What is really important is whether the candidates prefer boxers or briefs.

48. - walker - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:55 pm:

So Rauner is super-rich and enjoys exclusive luxuries, and this time he owns it. Good. No biggie at this point.

But Rahm not standing up and taking it? What is Rahm trying to say? That he’s Rauner’s sommelier?

49. - Steven - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:56 pm:

“Hey guys, look! He’s rich!”

“Vote for Pat Quinn . . he lives on crackers!”

50. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:10 pm:

–That he’s Rauner’s sommelier?–

No, water boy, as in he carried a lot of water for Rauner in that hinky SBC deal that made him rich, and Rauner richer.

The Tribbies did Quinn a real favor putting that photo on the front page and highlighting the Rauner/Emanuel relationship.

The question will be in how far he goes in exploiting it. Emanuel is very unpopular in the city; I can’t believe he’s more popular in the suburbs or Downstate. No love lost between Quinn and Emanuel.

If I were Quinn, I’d campaign against both Rauner and Emanuel. At this point, what does he have to lose? Emanuel doesn’t have a street organization; he can’t bring him any votes except as the villain.

I’d tie Rauner to Emanuel all over the state, but especially in the city.

51. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

===I’d tie Rauner to Emanuel all over the state, but especially in the city.===

Would have worked in the Primary too…

If the “2″ and “Fiasco Friday Guy” wouldn’t has got out played, outmaneuvered…outflanked.

Been waiting and waiting on this for over a year…

52. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

Rauner can’t spend millions convincing voters that his $18 watch is relevant and then argue a $140,000 bottle of wine is irrelevant.

53. - LincolnLounger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:26 pm:

Both candidates are awful with irresponsible campaigns. How will we all get through these next two months?

54. - Bigtwich - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:33 pm:

55. - Streator Curmudgeon - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:34 pm:

I belong to a “club” that costs $12 a year, but all we get is Richard’s Red Torpedo.

56. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:35 pm:

Wow, Bigtwich with an Adlai III reference. Haven’t seen one of those in a while.

57. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 4:35 pm:

–So he belongs to a wine club. it’s probably very hard for him to find a place to have lunch.–

LOL, I thought of that, too. Adlai, circa 1982, I believe.

58. - liandro - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:14 pm:

His car is probably nicer than mine, too. I don’t care.

59. - Soccermom - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:21 pm:

A guy — you know where to find me? That’s unsettling…

60. - sal-says - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:25 pm:

== Whether or not Rauner belongs to a wine club or is wealthy tells us little about his ability to do the job. ==

Actually, I believe it does tell us quite a bit. He has NO public / elected official background to evaluate. He has not been ‘forced’ to play with others. Just ‘I’m gonna change everything & cut taxes & expand programs.’

He’s used t DIRECTING people to do something that enriches him. Or buys the best people in monied private industry to make smart deals and decisions that enriches him.

That he’s rich DOES NOT tell us anything about working in a management position that has to deal with and compromise with OTHERS.

61. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:30 pm:

S-mom, The only place I would look for you is here. Be settled fair maiden.

62. - Kwark - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:31 pm:

As I wrote way back in Oct 2012, Bruce Rauner needs to make an accounting of the clubs in which he is a member. And not only wine clubs. Country clubs.

63. - Soccermom - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:35 pm:

Actually, Kwark, I’d be very interested to hear where Rauner plays golf.

64. - sal-says - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:36 pm:

== Most aspire to have wealth and enjoy the benefits but those on the left seem to have trouble with success. ==

No trouble with success; it’s all relative. And,yes, most everybody would like to be richer than they are.

So, eh, maybe that’s it. But suppose for a moment that a guy, who’s not at ALL like most of us peons, tries to make himself just like one of the guys, just like US.

Tell me why you think you can trust a guy like that?

65. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:54 pm:

===Actually, Kwark, I’d be very interested to hear where Rauner plays golf.===

Me too. - Soccermom -, here are some possibles. I tried to tell the Rauner Crew, get me on one of these last fall…

Medinah here in Chicago, The Country Club in Boston when Rauner sees his Red Sox play, or Oakmont in Puttsburgh, while seeing the Steelers play.

In NY, Winged Foot, not too far from Manhatten, Medalist in Miami, if we are in Florida. In Wine Country, Pebble Beach seems ok, but if Bruce has $140K for wine, Spyglass is a track he might has playing privileges…

Then there is the Holy of Holy, you never utter, in fear of never going on its hallow fairways Bobby Jones himself created. If you have Georgia on you mind and we can’t master a chance at getting on that major loop, East Lake in Atlanta would do fine.

I wonder, if someone spends $140K to join a club for wine, what bag room holds Bruce Rauner’s sticks?

BTW, - Soccermom -, if I ever get that 18 hole invite to play any of the above, since you asked, you can be in the foursome too, just don’t hold your breath.

66. - Soccermom - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:57 pm:

I’m wondering whether he plays at Old Elm or Bob-O-Link. Or whether he was a member until the day he decided to run for Governor.

67. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:58 pm:

- Soccermom -, yikes Bob-O-Link or Butler… Not women friendly, or very…exclusive too.

68. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 6:03 pm:

Some golf clubs can get you into trouble if you’re running for office. Can’t claim ignorance about the practices, either. They’re well-known.

69. - Kwark - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 6:06 pm:

Not only the clubs he played at, or was a member of. But also which clubs were part of GTCR’s country club rollup play back in the early 2000s?

70. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 6:12 pm:

- Kwark -,

Those are great questions. I don’t know if Bruce Rauner will tell. Would be interesting to know a course or two.

There are ridiculously exclusive clubs, based on race and gender still today, but we all already know that. The question is does Bruce Rauner “know” where he belonged, what courses, their policies…

How “.01%” are we talking in his leisure?

We know $140K in “wine leisure”…how “.01%” is the rest of his leisure, besides the See-Gar chompin’ and Harley ridin’…who is not part of his golf crowd(?)

He may not golf, but what memberships are out their he paid for, that is maybe the question.

71. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 6:16 pm:

What a swell guy. His wealth is of no consequence other than the fact that he can’t help but bust loose his millions while trying desperately to play average Joe. Aw shucks, now you know I’m not just like one of you……. Most pols are moneyed, so it’s not a shock or anything. But to then try to take away from average workers/retirees what paltry amounts (in comparison) seems like a robber baron. A master of the manor, directing the mere serfs. Do people who like Rauner believe that by sidling up to a rich guy, they can be one too–just by association? I think most voters want words, plans, visions spoken out loud so you know what you’re doing in the voting booth—-not illusions and let’s pretend ads with Timex watches. Please. Many–hopefully most, are a wee bit smarter than the con. And then, I want to know what sitting on a big pile of cash has to do with running a state government. Other than buying your position in it.

72. - Cheswick - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:28 pm:

== winner-take-all economy ==

The shrinking middle class should question if Rauner and his business dealings are part of the reason for the shrinking middle class.

73. - Club Member - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:37 pm:

Yeah, Bruce flushes $140K down the toilet to belong to this wine club. But imagine if he dumped his $10MM in homes, purchased 4.5MM in homes in Indiana and returned to private equity and continued to clear $55MM a year.

By my calculations, he’s flushing nearly $1MM down the toilet to belong to the “WE LIVE IN ILLINOIS, THANK YOU PAT QUINN MAY I PLEASE HAVE ANOTHER AND YES SPEAKER MADIGAN, HERE’S MY WALLET” Nuts and Bolts Club.

TrackBack URI

* Good morning!
* Final thoughts before calling it a night
* *** UPDATED x3 - Script *** Quinn airs radio ad of Rauner joking about being "scared" of four African-Americans
* Karen Lewis endorses Chuy Garcia for mayor
* Friday night TV ad rating

* Nexus 6 sells out in minutes, DROID Turbo goes ballistic, Microsoft Band sneaks out early | Pocketnow Weekly 120
        * Roku adds Google Play Movies & TV to its feature list
        * Minuum iOS update picks up new languages, advanced settings (Giveaway)
        * A final word from Taylor Martin