Rate Gov. Quinn’s new TV ad

Tuesday, Sep 2, 2014

* From a press release…

Featuring Governor Quinn’s 63-year-old push mower, Quinn for Illinois released a new ad today showing the Governor trimming his lawn and recounting the steps he has taken to rein in government spending and restore fiscal health to Illinois. The ad, which features the Governor mowing the lawn in front of his modest Georgian home in Chicago’s Galewood neighborhood, went up on the air this morning.

“I’m working to fix the mess and I’m not finished,” Governor Quinn concludes in the ad.

Governor Quinn inherited a mess, but he’s been making the tough decisions and getting the job done to move Illinois in the right direction.

* The ad

* Transcript…

Governor Quinn: “When I became Governor, state government needed to be cut, just like my lawn. So I got to work. I cut state spending by $5 billion, cut over 2 million square feet of office space, closed 50 state properties, and we’re selling 9 state airplanes. I suspended legislators’ pay along with my own. We balanced the budget in a fiscally responsible way. I’m Pat Quinn, I’m working to fix the mess and I’m not finished.”

…Adding… As you’ll recall, Quinn got some bad publicity not long ago when one of his neighbors complained that his lawn was too long. That could be seen as a negative metaphor here. Yeah, he’s cutting his lawn now, but he should’ve been cutting it all along… or something.

* The Rauner campaign is out with a “fact check”…

Quinnocchio Alert: New Ad Misleads on Quinn’s Record of Higher Spending, Higher Taxes, Unbalanced Budget

“Taxes in Illinois are a lot like the weeds in Pat Quinn’s yard – out-of-control and hurting his neighbors. The only thing Pat Quinn knows how to cut is education funding to the tune of $500 million.” – Rauner Spokesperson Mike Schrimpf

Quinn Claim: “I Cut State Spending By $5 Billion”

Reality: The Budget Has Grown Under Pat Quinn, And He Raised Taxes By $25 Billion

Spending From Illinois’ General Funds Has Increased From $32.23 Billion In FY2010 To $35.76 Billion In FY2015. (State Of Illinois Budget Summary - Fiscal Year 2015, Commission on Government Forecasting & Accountability, p.26)

Quinn’s Tax Increase Has Taken $25.7 Billion From The Pockets Of Illinois Families. “From an aggregate perspective, it is estimated, then, that a cumulative total of approximately $25.7 billion has been generated from the increases in the personal and corporate tax rate so far thru FY 2014.” (State Of Illinois Budget Summary - Fiscal Year 2015, Commission on Government Forecasting & Accountability, p.17)

Reality: Quinn Cut Education By $500 Million

Pat Quinn Has Cut Education Funding By $500 Million. (”State of Illinois Budget Summary - Fiscal Year 2014, Illinois Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability, 8/19/13; “New Details Emerge on FY2015 Budget, Civic Federation, June 5, 2014)

Reality: Quinn Is Under Federal Investigation For His 2010 Slush Fund That Wasted $55 Million In Taxpayer Money

Pat Quinn’s Administration Is Under Federal Criminal Investigation For His 2010 Neighborhood Recovery Initiative. “Federal prosecutors and Illinois lawmakers are investigating a troubled state anti-violence program, creating a growing headache for Gov. Pat Quinn, who is locked in a tight re-election race. A legislative audit commission held a hearing Wednesday on the Neighborhood Recovery Initiative after subpoenaing members of Mr. Quinn’s administration. But the proceedings were hampered by federal prosecutors who recently confirmed that a criminal probe is under way into the program and warned lawmakers that public testimony could hurt their efforts.” (Mark Peters, “Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn’s Re-Election Hampered by Criminal Investigation,” The Wall Street Journal, 7/16/14)

The Neighborhood Recovery Initiative Wasted $55 Million In Taxpayer Funds. “The Neighborhood Recovery Initiative was launched in 2010 after Chicago community leaders called on Mr. Quinn to declare a state of emergency to address violence. The program, which had $55 million in funding in its first two years, focused on such areas as mentoring and assistance for those leaving prison. Earlier this year, the Illinois auditor general found ‘pervasive deficiencies’ in the program’s operations, including a lack of monitoring of expenses.” (Mark Peters, “Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn’s Re-Election Hampered by Criminal Investigation,” The Wall Street Journal, 7/16/14)

Quinn Claim: “We’re Selling 9 State Airplanes”

Reality: Much Like His Lawn, Quinn Only Did Something About Illinois’ Wasteful State Airplanes When People Started To Complain

Quinn Only Cut His Lawn After The Press Reported That His Neighbors Were Complaining. ” My own guilt made it hard not to cringe when the pictures showed up in my inbox. The snapshots of a forest of dandelions — those hated flowering weeds that choke front lawns and spread their seeds on puffy white pillows caught in the wind — showed every homeowner’s landscaping nightmare. Even though the photos were not of my front yard, I was hit with pangs of guilt because I should have weeded my own front lawn garden weeks ago. ‘Footlong dandelions all over,’ wrote the unhappy neighbor who sent the pictures. ‘Worst on the block. … I don’t know what’s worse, the front yard or the back.’ The dandelion tattletale said he sent the pictures because the dandelions and tall grass grow on the front lawn of a prominent Chicagoan who prides himself on regular-guy sensibilities — Gov. Pat Quinn.” (Mark Konkol, ” Gov. Quinn’s Front Yard Dandelion Forest Frustrates Neighbor,” DNAinfo Chicago, 5/22/14)

Bruce Rauner Proposed Selling Illinois’ Wasteful Air Fleet On June 12. “Republican gubernatorial hopeful Bruce Rauner on Thursday laid out the first specific cost-cutting proposals of his candidacy, saying Illinois could save hundreds of millions of dollars, including by selling most of its airplanes, merging the comptroller’s and treasurer’s offices, and reforming the agency that oversees state property and purchasing.” (Tammy Webber, Rauner Details Cost-Cutting Ideas For Illinois,” The Associated Press, 6/12/14)

Quinn Said He Would Seek To Sell Nine Of Illinois’ State Planes On June 30. ” Illinois Governor Pat Quinn made $250 million in budget cuts and put nine airplanes up for sale as the lowest-rated state in the country struggles to improve its finances.” (Elizabeth Campbell, ” Illinois Governor Quinn Cuts Budget, Sells State’s Planes,” Bloomberg, 6/30/14)

Quinn Claim: “I Suspended Legislators’ Pay, Along With My Own”

Reality: Quinn’s Stunt Was Unconstitutional, And Slapped Down By The Courts

Quinn’s Move Was Ruled Unconstitutional By A State Judge And Lawmakers Were Paid Their Salaries, With Interest. “A Cook County judge decided Thursday that Gov. Pat Quinn’s move to stop paying lawmakers was unconstitutional and ordered Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka to pay them immediately — plus interest. Cook County Judge Neil H. Cohen ruled that Quinn violated the section of the Illinois Constitution that holds that state lawmakers’ salaries must not be changed during the term in which they were elected.” (Dave McKinney, Jon Seidel and Mitch Dudek, “In Blow To Gov. Quinn, Judge Rules State Lawmakers Must Be Paid,” Chicago Sun-Times, 9/26/13)

Quinn Claim: “We Balanced The Budget In A Fiscally-Responsible Way”

Reality: Quinn’s FY2015 Budget Is “Grotesquely Out Of Balance”

The FY2015 Budget Signed By Pat Quinn Is “Grotesquely Out Of Balance.” FOX 32 POLITICAL REPORTER MIKE FLANNERY: “I can’t recall seeing as irresponsible budget as was just approved… You’d think that the whole General Assembly was on medical marijuana when they were passing this thing. It’s grotesquely out of balance. It doesn’t have nearly the revenue that they claim. They emptied their whole dirty bag of tricks to make it look balanced.” (Fox 32 Chicago, 6/15/14)

Illinois Is At Risk Of Having Its Credit Rating Downgraded Yet Again Due To Quinn’s Unbalanced Budget. ” A top Wall Street bond-rating agency Wednesday raised the prospect of a downgrade on state bonds because of concerns over the newly implemented state budget and a recent court ruling on retiree health benefits. Standard & Poor’s lowered its outlook on the state’s general obligation bonds to negative, though it retained its existing A- rating on state bonds. ‘The outlook revision follows the enactment of Illinois’ fiscal 2015 budget, which in our view is not structurally balanced and will contribute to growing deficits and payables that will likely pressure the state’s liquidity,’ Standard & Poor’s credit analyst Robin Prunty said in a prepared statement.” (Dave McKinney, “Bond-Rating Agency Shifts State Financial Outlook To Negative,” Chicago Sun-Times, 7/23/14)

1. - Craig - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:29 am:

Hard to make this statement when you’re a part of it of Illinois government for as long as Quinn has been: “I’m working to fix the mess and I’m not finished,”

2. - Rahm'sMiddleFinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:32 am:

Really effective ad. A very good positive spot.

It also has the benefit of being in front of his, comparatively, small house. Sold work.

Grade: A

3. - Ducky LaMoore - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:32 am:

Not bad for Quinn. But, as for the Rauner campaigns response… if you want people to read this crap you call a “fact check,” keep it pithy. You are wasting resources on something hardly anyone (especially those who don’t read Capfax) is going to read. Oh yeah, and you should fact check your “fact check.”

4. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:32 am:

Great ad, and I love that PQ has cargo pants.

5. - McLean Farmboy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:32 am:

Yard looks a whole lot different from May…http://capitolfax.com/2014/05/22/caption-contest-190/

6. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:33 am:

Note:

Rauner Crew points out more “facts” about Quinn then they have given about their own plan to govern, ever.

Food for thought…

“Ad?”

It’s a solid “B” for public consumption. Quinn physically doing something, metaphorically, and being positive(?)

On the other hand? This is “A Christmas Story, A+++++++” fit the inside baseball folks. I loved it in that prism. I saw it this morning, and I stopped what I was doing and actually laughed and said out loud “yes!” because this kills. It is poking at himself and sending a subliminal message to inside baseball folks, “I hear ya, I’m trying to clean all this up in messaging and symbolism.”

It was fun. It was ironically funny.

Solid “B” for the public, but man o man, this is just so deliciously fun and funny for inside baseball types. Love that about it.

An Easter Egg of restaurant quality!

7. - OneMan - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:33 am:

I think it would have worked better if it was
    “I am still working to fix this mess”

I will give it a B since it does something besides point out Rauner’s wealth.

8. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:34 am:

Nice contrast with The Baron. Rauner works mightily to be a regular guy, but his $140K wine club, as featured in the Rahm/Bruce story Sunday, begs to differ.

Cutting spending was real. But, other than selling planes which is popular, it’s a hard thing to campaign on because someone’s ox is gored.

9. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:34 am:

My first thought was of those prior posts and comments concerning his lawn actually not being mowed for some time.

Reading the text before seeing the video, this seemed like a mock press release from the Rauner campaign at first.

That summarizes the entire race thus far. One guy’s lawn overshadowed any message, while it first seemed plausible this was a gag released by the other guy.

Serious candidates for serious times.

10. - phocion - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:40 am:

Pretty decent ad. I give it a “B+” because it’s concise, conveys a positive message, and portrays the Governor in a flattering personal light.

11. - anon - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:42 am:

I saw it this morning while getting the kids ready for school. I give it an A. Great ad, and it lets people know that Pat’s like their neighbor in the bungalow down the block. Not everybody knows this. Amazing things happen when the focus of scorn walks up and shakes the hand of those criticizing him. The anger often melts, and the critics see the person as a human being. I think this ad could have that effect on a lot of the “throw the bums out” crowd.

12. - too obvious - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:44 am:

When a response’s first word is “Quinnocchio” - I immediately stop reading. I really don’t care what the sad clown has to say.

13. - Just Observing - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:45 am:

C+. It just comes across as not genuine to me — nobody is believing that the Governor (regardless of who it is) is cutting their own lawn.

14. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:45 am:

This is the kind of ad Quinn needed to have run since March.

A+

About damn time!

15. - walker - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:45 am:

Solid B+, for what it does.

Establishes some positives and personal commitment. Good use of the modest house, and personal labor. Not especially exciting or moving, but it takes Quinn out of the ridiculous category that Runer’s attack ads have tried to place him.

The “fact check” from Rauner’s team is mostly nonsense for those who actually know the details of the state budget and financials. Not sure how it would play to any broader audience, in this long form.

There’s one good criticism: Quinn has reacted on some things only after the press or Rauner brought them up.

16. - JS Mill - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:46 am:

B, could have been a B+ or even an A but for the balanced budget fib. I know every pol tells a few tales but the blatant ones are killers for me.

17. - William j Kelly - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:50 am:

If you can’t relate to this commercial you must be living in New York or Florida or Wyoming or Utah or Montana or somewhere else rauner has a house.

18. - Gooner - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:50 am:

This is Quinn at his best. He seems likeable, down to earth, and hard working. The unspoken contrast of his house to Rauner’s works too.

The fiscally responsible message (whether based in reality or not) works well with suburban voters, who once again are likely to decide the race.

One small quibble when watching it the first time was that it looked like he was wearing khakis. Who mows a lawn khakis and a polo shirt? As Anon noted, they are cargo pants which improves it a bit, but still leaves it feeling a bit too staged and as such, distracts from it a bit.

I give it a very solid B+.

19. - Boone's is Back - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:56 am:

I actually think the ad is pretty good- especially when watching it again with the sound off. I’d give it a B+/A-.

However… talk about symbolism- I’m not sure if using a beat up, old push mower for the spot was the best idea. I can see the argument for it, but I think it goes more towards the category of “working harder, not working smarter.”

20. - Gooner - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 9:56 am:

I agree with Too Obvious on the “Quinnochio” response.

For some reason, that label just doesn’t work. The name may be too long, but it just seems ridiculous.

And for those you, including the Rauner campaign who complain that Quinn doesn’t mow his lawn unless connected to his campaign may want to get away from that argument, because a retort might be:

“As long as we are talking about things only done in election years, is Rauner going to write any more million dollar checks to Chicago SNLs before the election?”

So, the “only does it in an election year” is probably not the best point of emphasis.

21. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:00 am:

- using a beat up, old push mower for the spot was the best idea -

It’s his actual mower, and he does mow his own lawn when he can.

22. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:01 am:

It’s a pass, but a somewhat boring one. A lot of people here today seemed to be excited by this. I’m not sure why, other than previous ads have set the bar so low. It’s a throwback ad from years ago. Didn’t do much then. We’ll have to see what it does now. OK, but not much more.

23. - Searchingfortruth - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:05 am:

[This comment has been deleted and the commenter has been banned for being an idiot. The governor didn’t pay only a thousand dollars in property taxes. He paid $3,247.85 last year, which is in line with the city’s average. Also, his home is valued at $204,740, not $350,000.]

24. - Searchingfortruth - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:06 am:

Should be property “tax”.

25. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:06 am:

Production values and concept get an A+.

4 years ago, this ad would have also gotten an overall A+. Today, reality drags it down to a C.

As a political type, the ad is good. The numbers probably check out as well, which makes it even better. But thinking of all the people still slogging through a long, slow recovery or dealing with violent neighborhoods every day, I question just how much any of these “achievements” might matter to me.

26. - John A Logan - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:08 am:

Quinn may have some life left in him yet. This one is a great concept, great delivery, and is what Quinn needs to do between now and November. More like this and Rauner is going to be biting nails.

27. - zatoichi - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:09 am:

Decent ad. A little forehead swipe for sweat would have been great. I lived in neighborhoods just like that where a push mower for a postage stamp yard is all you need.

Loved the ‘fact check’ details only because if you can do it there, you can also detail the budget plan.

28. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:09 am:

No wonder he has a crappy lawn with that relic of a mower.

Aside from that, pretty darned good. Regular Guy Pat at his best.

29. - Wally - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:29 am:

Yeah, my late father-in-law used a mower like that 40 years ago on his small lawn. What’s next, having ads in black and white and showing gas prices at 40 cents a gallon????

The ad may really impress some 80 year olds. otherwise……..

30. - Federalist - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:36 am:

Is it really true that Quinn pays only a $1,000 a year in property taxes on this home?

Is that typical in his area?

I can assure you that where I live in central Illinois a $350,000 home (if that is its value), the tax would be c. $6,000.

Again, any further clarification and information would be appreciated.

31. - Cheswick - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:36 am:

Dandelion don’t tell no lies
    Dandelion will make you wise

(I love the ad.)

32. - Anonymoiis - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:42 am:

I give it a D+/C-, depending on the potential response from the Rauner camp. Using the lawn is just stupid, when a few months ago it was in such disorder and so overgrown he was being cited for its poor condition. So he waits until election season to try and address something he let go to ruin years previous…much like the State.

33. - LCP45 - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:49 am:

Ads are stupid…hear this: Quinn has erased the 5 billion Blago overspent since 2006 in a crappy economy….give him credit for that please and he has to thank the GA for contributing mightily to the current debt in IL…

34. - Been There - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:52 am:

I think its a really good ad. Gets to the points quickly and will sink in. Rauner response? Way to long. Short and sweet sticks in the mind easier especially since we have already been inundated with ads. This is the earliest I have ever saw people tuning out. At this point keep it simple or people won’t even read or listen.

35. - Downstate - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 10:52 am:

Good, colorful green lawn and visuals … good, simple message … decent ad

36. - anon - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:03 am:

Looks like it works for a lot of people commenting so that’s good for Quinn. But as someone who cuts his own lawn (not with a push mower) I see a complete fake - clean polo shirt, khakis, loafers?? Who dresses like that to mow their lawn? And he exerts no effort to push the mower and shows no sweat? Maybe Pat does mow his lawn but this looks to me like a pol trying to pull (another) one over on us. But Rauners watch seems to work for him…

37. - Robert the Bruce - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:05 am:

Who wears a polo and khakis when they cut their lawn? It struck me as disingenuous as Rauner’s everyman outfits.

38. - Wumpus - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:05 am:

A happy ad. They should have had Rauner paying the middle class to cut his grass with scissors and a whip cracking at their backs.

39. - Ain't misbehaving, much - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:10 am:

Shouldn’t a union member be mowing that lawn? I thought we were not allowed to take care of our own?

40. - Downstate - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:15 am:

I give the ad an A-. Good subtle dig at Rauner’s homes.

Searchingfortruth at 10:05
    Does Quinn really only pay $1,000 for his $315,000 home?
    I just wrote out my property tax bill today. $6,600 for my $350,000 house (appraised last year).

41. - Stones - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:27 am:

If he can get through that nasty lawn I saw earlier in the season with a manual “push” lawn mower he’s a better man than me. That lawn actually doesn’t look bad.

42. - Wumpus - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:29 am:

There is probably a state crew right behind him

43. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:33 am:

The stuff about the governor’s property taxes was a complete fabrication. See above. Move along.

44. - Under Influenced - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 11:49 am:

B+ - Solid ad. Good visuals and an easy to understand message.

What’s with the essay-long fact check?

45. - Grandson of Man - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 12:04 pm:

I rate the ad an A-.

OMG a Democrat cut spending??!!!
    (just kidding, sort of)

This commercial could leave a bad taste in the mouths of some state employees, but when they consider the alternative, it’s likely that many of them will vote for Quinn.

I like the visual of Quinn mowing his own lawn and relating it to cuts he made as governor.

46. - Hit or Miss - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 12:06 pm:

As an ad I think it is fairly good. I like the positive message which is very clear and the use of the manual lawn mower as a visual prop to reinforce the message. This ad should resonate with much of the general public.

Too bad that some of us know that Quinn has well reported lawn issues, the state budget is increasing, etc. I give the ad a solid B.

47. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 12:08 pm:

==Who wears a polo and khakis when they cut their lawn?–

Lots of people. Get home from work, cut the grass.

As mentioned, a lousy push mower is all you need for some of the tiny lots up there.

It’s the kind of spot Rauner wishes he could do, the image he is trying to create.

Remember the twitter photo where Rauner pushed his gas grill up against the side door under the eaves? Obviously, he’d pulled it from the pool area you could see behind him. Now that’s phony.

48. - I-64 - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

Mowing his own yard and living on minimum wage. Pander, pander. This state is a wreck! The voters in southern Illinois, where he HAS shuttered facilities understand this. Chicago maybe not. But that’s his only target audience.

49. - Cheryl44 - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 12:39 pm:

I love this ad.

50. - Newsclown - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 12:45 pm:

So does the next spot have Pat on the roof of the leaky mansion with a hammer and shingles? This spot was well-executed, but I feel it only calls to mind, for me, the pictures of Quinn’s weed-infested overgrown lawn from earlier this summer. If you knew that happened, then this spot coming out now is a bad joke. If you are a voter with… little retention of old facts … I’m sure it plays well.

51. - Juvenal - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 1:04 pm:

The fundamental problem with the ad is that while it is true that state government was a mess when Quinn took over, he was his own predecessor.

The “I inherited a mess” defense is stronger when you inherit it from the other party.

The ad still works of you blame Wall Street and the Great Recession for the need to cut back…I am scratching my head at the script.

But hey, they have the polling, I don’t.

52. - Phenomynous - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 1:26 pm:

$3,247.85 in property taxes is a great deal for a $204k house.

Makes me feel terrible for those poor kids in Chicago Public Schools. City Council is robbing those kids from an education by not doing more to increase local assistance to the failing school system.

53. - Namaste - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 1:38 pm:

This commercial really hit home for me because my electric mower died on Saturday and I had to finish my lawn with my old push mower. Never had I felt more in common with the man until now.

54. - Roadiepig - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

Best ad so far by either candidate by a wide margin. The contrast between Quinn’s somewhat average home and what the average voter has heard (actually, has been hammered over the head in every other Quinn ad) about Rauner’s multiple homes/mansions is unsaid, but easy to see. The average voter gets reminded that the Carhart and $18 watch wearing candidate is fiction.

One more thing- exactly who is loooong essay by the Rauner campaign target audience? Is it for lazy reporters to cut quote lines from? Surely they don’t expect anyone not “inside politics ” to wade through? And like others have said- putting Quinnochio in the first sentence ? Keep up the name calling Bruce- people love bullies who use demeaning nicknames to insult others. But I bet he and his campaign crew snicker every time someone say Quinnochio out loud in their strategy sessions, so it’s likely here to stay

55. - Soccermom - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:30 pm:

I think the Quinnocchio concept is brilliant. I think Rauner should use it in every ad. I think the Quinnocchio guy should be featured in every ad. Best political visual I have ever seen. Creative, focused and meaningful. Can’t stress this enough — Quinnocchio is the key to a win in November. It’s all Rauner needs - nothing but Quinnocchio. Keep up the good work.

56. - Namaste - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 2:59 pm:

Soccermom FTW

57. - A guy... - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

===wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 12:08 pm:

==Who wears a polo and khakis when they cut their lawn?–===

Slinger, just admit it, you do! No socks either. And a pair of Crocs or Birkenstocks. I’ve been to OP. Everything you guys do you do in a fashionable way.

58. - Responsa - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 5:28 pm:

Too bad the only thing that he’s visibly cut since being governor is the grass. I liked the feel of the ad though, and I like his pushmower. B+.

59. - .IEC Gal - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 6:22 pm:

Pushmowers rock…no petrochemicals required…

60. - Skirmisher - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 7:16 pm:

Maybe the Guv can come down and mow grass at the Lincoln Tomb. It needs it.

61. - Irish - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 8:27 pm:

I am sorry, but I couldn’t get past the lawn mower. All I could think of was Bruce has the Carhart vest and Pat has the ancient no engine lawn mower. Look at me I am like you I cut my own grass, AND I use a very frugal lawn mower. It said gimmick to me.

I also noticed in the clip that the grass was still long after the mower went over it. The thought that went through my head was; Just like Pat Quinn, a lot of noise, a lot of huffin and puffin and nothing got done.

I missed the rhetoric because the visual took my mind off of it.

62. - polwatcher - Tuesday, Sep 2, 14 @ 8:35 pm:

Does the illinois National Guard have any tanks? Can’t wait to
    see him in one. Micheal Dukais redux…..1988.

63. - K.0. - Wednesday, Sep 3, 14 @ 6:24 am:

I will be glad when this fool of a governor goes away. Maybe he can get a paper route along with his new career of mowing lawns.

64. - John - Thursday, Sep 18, 14 @ 9:54 pm:

Come on nobody except may be Pat Quinn uses a push mower! We need somebody with new ideas!

TrackBack URI

* Oberweis now for gay marriage
* The patented Pat Quinn close has begun
* McKinney resigns from Sun-Times: "I’m convinced this newspaper no longer has the backs of reporters like me"
* Another one pops
* Reality vs. reporting
* New anti-Rauner theme: "Wolf of Winnetka"
* Redefining Bobby
* Pat and Bruce
* The lindane file
* US judge orders hiring monitor at IDOT
* Underdog endorsements
* Birth control, millionaires and the minimum wage
* Good morning!