This just in… *** Currie walks out, fears government shutdown *** Childrens Museum approved by city council 33-16 *** Jones: Olympics could disappear *** Hoffman: Blame Madigan *** More audio uploaded *** Watson: Budget bills will be sent to guv ***
Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008
* 10:55 am - The leaders meeting started a few minutes ago. We should have some audio soon. House GOP Leader Tom Cross focused on the “evade the question about Madigan’s involvement” stuff in the impeachment memo when he spoke to reporters.
* 11:27 am - The Chicago city council is debating locating the Children’s Museum in Grant Park. Watch it live by clicking here.
* 11:41 am - Don & Roma had a lot of interesting stuff on their WLS Radio program today.
Click here to llisten to Speaker Madigan’s spokesman Steve Brown and Rep. Kurt Granberg talk about the impeachment memo and the capital plan.
And click here to listen to Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. excoriate Democratic congressional candidate Debbie Halvorson over the third airport controversy.
* 11:46 am - From the AP…
* 11:55 am - Click on the links to listen to audio files from before today’s leaders meeting…
* Senate President Jones agreed with Cross’ characterization that the impeachment memo was a “scheme to lie.”
* Senate GOP Leader Watson said that his own candidates and incumbents “get a lot of questions” about impeachment and said sending out the same sort of memo might be something the Senate Republicans should think about doing.
*** 12:09 pm *** House Majority Leader Barb Currie just walked out of the leaders meeting complaining that the governor is continuing to focus on a capital bill rather than the budget. Currie said she afraid of an “imminent” government shutdown in July if the governor doesn’t get serious about the budget soon.
The other leaders are still inside the governor’s office.
We’ll have audio a little later.
* 12:31 pm - The Tribbies are live-blogging the city council debate on the Children’s Museum.
* 1:14 - Barb Currie quote…
*** 1:41 pm *** The Chicago city council just approved the Children’s “Museum” in Grant Park on a 33-16 vote.
*** 2:03 pm *** Senate President Jones has left the meeting. According to Kevin, Jones said Madigan could lose Chicago the Olympics if he continues his opposition to a capital plan.
*** 2:15 pm *** Abby Ottenhoff, the governor’s chief spokesperson, just brought out a chart that claimed to show that every
*** 2:52 pm *** Rep. Jay Hoffman, a member of the state Democratic central committee and Gov. Blagojevich’s House floor leader said he’s “offended” that Speaker Madigan would use the Democratic Party’s money to send out the impeachment memo “in order to further a vendetta” against the Democratic governor.
Hoffman also blamed Madigan for not sending the governor the budget bills. In reality, however, the Senate controls three of the four appropriations bills.
*** 3:03 pm *** More audio from the post-game show…
* 3:12 pm - The Tribbies have the Children’s “Museum” roll call.
*** 3:16 pm *** Senate GOP Leader Frank Watson said he believes the leaders have a deal that the House and Senate will transmit the budget bills to the governor.